Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Foreign Foods/Snacks/Desserts.

8 years ago

With the addition of relatives not living in the U.S., I get a shipment of foreign snacks, mainly sweets. And that got me thinking...

What kind of foreign foods have you tried?

8 years ago

i smoke a fat pound a weed a day imported from mars bro

I've had a few specialty Japanese sodas, but not much else. Mainly drinks.

8 years ago

Oh, man! I once had this shit called Inca Kola that my brother brought back from Peru. Dude, it's fucking glorious. Tastes exactly like bubblegum. Still craving that, ~8 years later. 

8 years ago

I should try it sometime. I was just reading a book that referenced that particular drink quite a bit.

8 years ago

What book references it? 

8 years ago

Michel Vey series, by Richard Paul (Evans? Eveans?). 

8 years ago

When I went to South Korea I ate some dog meat in one of the little back-alley restaurants where if you lean on the walls the asbetos leaves white marks on your jacket like chalk... it takes a bit like steak but cut up into smaller pieces. In the snack streets of Beijing you can buy pretty much any anything, in some restuarants they had a tray of moving bugs which was a bit gross.

The Chinese aren't as adventurous as the Cantonese though, in China they have a saying "if it moves the Cantonese will eat it and if it doesn't they will try anyway" :D

8 years ago

Back in Vietnam, we had a tour guide who showed us around. We stopped by a small open air restaurant and were offered dog. Being adventurous and all, I decided to have a dog steak and ended up throwing all of it up later. It tasted fine. A bit chewy and different, but probably wasn't the most sanitary thing I've eaten in my life.

8 years ago

This is morally wrong as I own four dogs. I would never try dog, I'm sorry.

8 years ago

Walkers Roast Chicken crisps.

8 years ago

Crickets, durian, sheep and goat genitals,  ostrich, snake, iguana, I think crocodile or alligator, escargot, sea snails...

Most were good, some were worse than they looked.

8 years ago
Seaweed crackers most recently. 7/10 tbh, better than I thought they'd be.

8 years ago

Dog meat, deer meat, kangaroo, locust, escargot, crocodile and durian. Everything listed tasted amazing except for durian. That stuff is nasty. I tried it when I was a little kid because I mistook it for pineapple and I got the biggest surprise of my life when I opened it and found the stinkiest mush I had ever experienced. I live in Aus, but my family is all from China. Ofc, they can't just bring deer meat over here so I haven't eaten the above foods a lot. But I do eat a lot of Chinese food because of my family. And this brings me to the point: what is the Australian cuisine? We have so many cultures here that we don't really have any proper cuisine (except maybe for the barbeque). Is Aus food just borrowed from American and then other cultures around the world?

8 years ago

Jarritos Mexican Soda. Get it every time I can.

8 years ago
uhh....I once ate noodles.

We once had an American food shop near where I lived. 'Twas expensive as shit tho'.

8 years ago

Here in Bosnia we have one very delicious meal called cevapcici (meat fingers on english)

I usualy eat 10 of them. They come with a bread called 'somun' (I couldn't find the right translation for that except "pita"), quite a lot of onion and milk. It is delicious. If you ever go to Bosnia this is a must try.

Then you have the famous Bosnian pies. Ranging from potato (my favorite) to pumpkin, Bosnian pies are very delicious. Try 'Burek' (potato with meat pie...). Sometimes these pies are more delicious than meat fingers.

And, what's popular in Bosnia, are the turkish Doners. Quite delicious

As you can see, there's a lot of meat in Bosnian recepies :)

8 years ago

Haha what counts as "foreign" food? XD 

I like seeing what other countries think my country's food is like.

Went to an "American-style Pizza Restaurant" in Tokyo.  Dear Japan: contrary to popular belief, America does not consider corn or mayonnaise to be pizza toppings. Also we usually go with breadsticks as the side dish, but curry was good. 

Also: I know we apparently top every vaguely sandwich-like dish with lettuce & tomato.  Hot dogs are an exception to this.

XD apparently ppl who care more than I would have expected actually debated whether hot dogs are a sandwich. No, they must not be, because the topping set is completely different.

8 years ago
Hot dogs ARE a sandwich because it is between bread.

8 years ago

First of all, they're between the bread horizontally, whereas a sandwich's bread goes vertically.  Secondly, it's not really bread.  It's hot dog bun, which 1) is only used for hot dogs, 2) is the only 'bread' ever used.

8 years ago
First point: turn the hot dog sideways or the said sandwich vertically. When you turn a pb&j 90 degrees does it suddenly not qualify as a sandwich? Secondly, a bun is bread because it is made from the same basic ingredients, baked the same basic way, and can be used for other things besides hot dogs. It is bread, just because it's shaped differently doesn't mean it's not fit to ever be a sandwich. When something is within the confines of bread, such as a hot dog between a hot dog bun, it is a sandwich. A hot dog is a sandwich.

8 years ago

No matter how you turn it, it's still the same spatial relation between meat and bread.

Okay, I looked it up, and in the US, there's a court ruling that "sandwich" includes at least two slices of bread.

8 years ago

So, would a hotdog served on a hoagie or similar bread constitute a sandwich?

8 years ago
The two slices of bread used for the average sandwich are from the same loaf of bread. The same mass of dough. As are hot dogs from the same roll of bread ie the same mass of dough

The slices of bread used for a hot dog just happen to be connected together. There is quite obviously a difference in the sides of a hot dog bun, because it's split down the middle. Just as there is obviously a difference in bread slices because they are split across the middle - each of these separated by what lies in between them (hot dog or not).

A hot dog must be classified as a sandwich because of it's inherent qualities that are so strikingly similar to any other sandwich.

8 years ago
I once bought a slice of pizza that had lettuce as a topping.  It was at the state fair, I was REALLY hungry, and it was the only thing available, so...

I do like sauerkraut on a hot dog, though.  :)

8 years ago
"state fair" "only thing available"

LIES!

8 years ago
It does seem a bit ridiculous, but it was early morning on the first day.  Most of the food vendors hadn't opened yet.  Plus, it was back when days were too short and I was too excited to eat before I got there.

8 years ago
Balut. Do NOT look that up if you have a weak stomach.

8 years ago

...oh.

8 years ago
...cat food.

8 years ago

I honestly wouldn't feed that to my cat (assuming he hadn't grown tired of me and ran off to live with the neighbors).

8 years ago
I only feed my cats on days when they can't hunt (too rainy, icy, etc).  If they had more than a couple of neurons between them, they would have moved to the neighbors years ago.

8 years ago

(I wonder how many neurons cats actually have. Edit: No, please don't post a link. Seeing the actual numbers may just depress me.)

Yeah, it makes sense that he left, but I kinda miss him; he liked to chase my bird dog around when he got bored.

8 years ago

My grandmother got all her cats that way.  The neighbors would buy their kid a kitten, and the kid would pretty quickly get bored and neglectful with it, and it would move over to my grandmother's house & they wouldn't care enough to want it back.  Then about a year later, they'd get another kitten.

8 years ago

Oh my god. We got a bunch of cats around my mom's that way. There really aren't a lot of cats around there anymore, but about four or five stray dogs will show up every year.

8 years ago

Not as bad as it looks.

8 years ago

Well, the last few days, I've been eating about twenty bowls of miso soup for supper. They don't tell you that stuff is 90% alcohol, though.

Most of the "foreign" food I try is either Asian or Mediterranean. There is this awesome gyro place I love going to; they have some of the best falaffel and baba ghanoush I've ever had. Occasionally, I can convince someone to take me to a certain Indian buffet that I happen to love.

Of course, as far as legitimate foreign cuisine goes, I've had about every kind of instant noodle that the US dares to import from Asia. I had a bowl of instant buckwheat noodles with chili and beet sauce, once. I wish I could find that stuff again.

8 years ago

I'm not sure if this counts, but at my local enclosure farm, my dad usually gets a bunch of full rooster bodies, cook the roosters, and let us eat their hearts and livers (actually, my brother gets all the livers. I don't like liver). Sometimes we eat the backbones or the red bobble that hangs off a rooster's head. I'm not sure if it'll be considered foreign, though since the entire thing happens around my home.

8 years ago

Not much, aside from Milo soft drink. It was terrible, but in a good way XD 

8 years ago

Japan has like 80 different flavors of Kit-Kat...all of them are great except Apricot Seed...ugh.

8 years ago

Apricot seed sounds horrible.  Isn't the seed/pit the part of the apricot you don't eat? XD 

8 years ago

I always imagined that arsenic was an acquired taste.

8 years ago

Unless you live on some mountain top in China, apparently. There are people there who eat the kernel of an apricot the way Americans eat popcorn, and it's said to be a great treatment for cancer. 

8 years ago

Yes, dying from arsenic poisoning is a good remedy for most ailments.

8 years ago

8 years ago

Okay. Sorry.

8 years ago

Naw, don't be. That page wouldn't be a thing if it wasn't a common belief.

8 years ago

There were these sweets from Germany an old manager once gave me and I've been dying to try them again. Why did I forgot their name? They were like wafers that tasted creamy. I would love to try those again.

UPDATE:
And what do you know, I found it on eBay! I just typed German Waffers and I found what I was looking for: Knoppers!

8 years ago

Knoppers? Sounds like a German word for undersized female breasts.

8 years ago

They look good.

8 years ago
They're not entirely German. We, in the rest of Europe, have them as well, together with all the fake ones and remakes Aldi and Lidl could give you in a lifetime. So for me, it's not exactly foreign food.

For everyone who doesn't know, it's usually two really thin wafers stuck together with something tasting like vanilla and a chocolate cream/nutlike paste. They got different flavors, though.

8 years ago

Marble Soda! Tasted like bubble gum, though it was supposed to be lemon. Got it at a Hibachi restaurant.

8 years ago

Ahh ... I forgot that people call it that outside of Japan sometimes. It's other, original name is Ramune.

8 years ago

I love that stuff; though, it can be a pain to open sometimes.

8 years ago

It usually comes with its own bottle opener. I haven't had trouble with any of the bottles I've opened lately, but then again, I do not drink it very often.

8 years ago
Well, yes, but I have trouble opening it with the opener. Usually takes a few tries and makes my paws sore.

8 years ago

Poor fox. *pat*

8 years ago

"I'll try anything once." <-- What I usually say in regards to foreign cuisine. (This statement does not, however, apply to legitimately dangerous or illegal things.)

I'm particularly fond of Asian treats, which is why I've had a few flavors of Ramune, various strange chocolate candies (sweet potato, wasabi, and oolong tea being among the various types,) a couple flavors of mooncake, (sweet red bean and melon, but I still wanna try white lotus seed with salted yolks,) stuffed marshmallow gummies, poppin cookin kits, etc.

I've also eaten / drank other things some people think are exotic or foreign: Plum wine is nice, sake is okay, cow tongue is pretty good if prepared right, menudo (made with cow stomach) is damn good if homemade, I've made perogi by hand, I love grilled eel in sushi, I've cooked with venison on multiple occasions (not foreign, just odd to some folks,) I've used couscous in place of rice for dishes, I've eaten frog legs, jeon and kimchi, Italian food in general just makes me happy... (damn, this is making me hungry.)

I'd also try Hakarl or Haggis in a heartbeat, if only to say I've done it, and I'll likely add to this list soon.

8 years ago

I haven't had plum wine, sake, cow tongue, or menudo. I've had eel, frog legs, and kimchi. Venison...well, yeah, I live in Arkansas, so I've had venison. I've also eaten squirrel (really good with dumplings), which disgusts many people, because, you know, squirrels are rodents. I've never had raccoon, though everyone else in my family has.

8 years ago

Hmm... I have no frame of reference for squirrel because I've never eaten a rodent of any kind, but hell, people eat rabbits all the time and I think of them as similar animals. I do <3 dumplings. I'd try it. Raccoons, given their tendency to go through garbage, do not sound terribly appealing, but I eat catfish and they're equally nasty ... so, why not?  

8 years ago

I guess lagomorphs are rather comparable to rodents.

To be honest, there isn't much difference between the meat of a squirrel and the breast meat of a chicken. If anyone ever offers you squirrel n' dumplin's, though, beware that a lot of people leave the head on the squirrel (as in, they just remove the skin, guts, and feet, before dropping the squirrel in the pot. Some people even like to eat the brains.

My dad says that raccoons are horribly musty and greasy. I know a few people who hunt them for food, though, even though the vast majority of coon hunters do it just for fun.

8 years ago
I've only eaten fried squirrel.  It didn't remind me of chicken, though.

I can't imagine eating a raccoon.  I've had too many friends and family that had them for pets.

As far as greasy goes ... there's nothin' like 'possum.  :)

8 years ago

You did it wrong.

I guess I've never made as great a distinction between friend and food as most people do.

Eww...

8 years ago
Yeah, I've known people who had pigs, chickens and ducks as pets.  It seemed as ridiculous to me as having a pet bowl of soup.

8 years ago

I never knew you were so prone to prejudice.

8 years ago

My aunt raised pigs as pets, as have many of my friends. The parents always say "don't name it!" and the kids never listen, and then slaughtering time comes around... ahh, the south.

8 years ago

I know how that is.

8 years ago

Greasy possum... >.>' yeah, that sounds kinda nasty. How's it taste?

8 years ago
Well, after all the grease is cooked out of it (and there is a LOT of grease) the most accurate description would be old stale socks.  It's not something that I'd say was very appetizing, but it'll keep you alive.

8 years ago

>_> Not a glowing review, but that's basically what I was expecting. Not gonna be my first choice at any buffet, but I'd give it a shot at least once.

8 years ago
The only thing I ever turned down flat was armadillo.  It was more about them carrying leprosy, though.

8 years ago

That's why you go for the ones at the zoo.

8 years ago

:| I'm not crazy about eating the head of anything ... which would make Svio an interesting dish for me, but I have a very strong stomach and as long as it actually tastes good, I can deal. I tried brains a long time ago, I don't remember the taste at all--which means it was probably just okay in my opinion. 

xD So they are exactly how I thought they'd be. Good to know.

8 years ago

Even when I ate meat, heads were a no-go for me. I don't have the gastric fortitude that you do.

Yeah, if you do decide to try one, just be sure you don't pick one that's jerking and drooling.

"Granny, what's that foamy stuff coming out of his mouth?"

"Flav'rin'!"

8 years ago

xD Eww... yeah, no, I draw the line at rabies.

8 years ago

Shoot, I thought you were adventurous, Kiel. Nothing says adventure like going into a crazy-ass murder frenzy and chewing your own limbs off.

#justfoxthings

8 years ago
I agree with you, except for maybe head cheese.

8 years ago

My dad's girlfriend tried to feed my head cheese from Louisiana. I didn't go for that shit.

8 years ago

Oh, yeah. Head cheese. I think I tried it, and liked it... that was a looooong time ago, though. Oh, and beef / pork head tamales are good, too.

8 years ago
Were they real tamales wrapped in corn husk?  I don't know what was in the ones I ate, but they were made by an old woman from Mexico.  I can't begin to tell you how fantastic they were.

8 years ago

That's the only kind I eat--with one exception. I know there are tamales that come in paper, but I've never had them. My neighbor, bless her, once gave me an entire batch of homemade pork tamales as a "welcome to the neighborhood" present. They were amazing.

My co-worker brought some huge-ass homemade ones for a Christmas party, and those were the one exception, because they were wrapped in banana leaves due to being too damn big for corn husks. They were three times the size of a regular tamale, and the shredded beef inside them... gaaah... so good. <3 I've had a lot of tamales in my life, but those two times were the best.  

8 years ago
I'm going to have to learn how to make them.  The only ones available here are the canned ones that are paper-wrapped.  I usually just fill up on other stuff...

8 years ago

It's more expensive than it is difficult. The outer part is a mixture of corn flour (masa) and lard. The inner part is often just shredded pork, often unflavored.

8 years ago
I was just reading about it.  I might try my hand at it when I feel that I have more time.

8 years ago

You should. Trying to create new things is always enjoyable, imho. :D

8 years ago
The best part is that you get to eat your mistakes (...and you don't have to share  :P).

8 years ago

Indeed.

8 years ago

Ergh. Canned tamales?

8 years ago

Hormel, I believe. They're beyond gross.

8 years ago
"You can live on it, but it tastes like !@#$" - Crocodile Dundee

8 years ago

Lol... xD

8 years ago
Yeah, they're rather tasteless (and a bit slimy), but they make up for it with tons of salt.  :P

8 years ago

I used to love homemade tamales.

I used to cook chicken in a pit, pachamanca style. The meat got so tender.

8 years ago

Ah, I forgot, I've also eaten alligator. And I wanna try rattlesnake because my grandpa said it was good.

8 years ago

Oh, yeah, I've eaten 'gator too. It was a little rubbery.

8 years ago
I haven't had the chance, yet, but I've always wanted to try rattlesnake, too.  There's a Rattlesnake Festival in Apache OK that I always seem to miss.  Someday...

8 years ago

Shark fin soup. It was delicious. It tasted like noodles and chicken broth, although my brother, at the time, was obsessed with sharks and refused to eat it, saying it was like eating an endangered species. Oh well, there was more for me!

Another thing was pig ear. Tasted just like bacon! It looked disgusting AF though.

8 years ago

Shark is good. At least, my kid self thought so. I haven't eaten it since I was like, 8...

Pig ears? Isn't that a dog treat? xD Pork rinds are fine, but I dunno about the ears.

8 years ago

I eat them pretty often. They're amazing if you prepare them well; if not, they taste like bland rubber or something. But add some coriander, chilli and voila. It's so good.

8 years ago

Huh. So it would seem. I looked them up and apparently they're fairly popular in lots of countries... didn't know that. There are lots of cooking / prepping methods, too.

8 years ago
I haven't seen it for decades, but when I was a kid nearly every grocery store had jars of pickled eggs, sausages and pigs feet that they'd dip out for you (kinda like some places still do with pickles).

8 years ago

My mom got a big jar of colorful, pickled eggs once. They were okay. I didn't love them, but it made a decent snack. I think I may have had pigs' feet, but I can't remember... reminds me of when my youth group did a "fear factor" game with food. I ended up getting tofu (no one else wanted it) ate the whole thing in one bite while everyone around me was gagging... pansies. :P

8 years ago
Oh no. If there's anything I'm principally against, it's shark fun soup. That must be because of the way they prepare it, and the fact that 90% of the shark goes unused most of the time. To me, that's just disrespectful towards killing that animal. And I'm a pretty big fan of sharks, so yeah.

Pig ear? Isn't that a dog treat? At least dogs love it.

8 years ago

xD Pork rinds are fine, but I dunno about the ears.

8 years ago
They don't actually look that gross. A bit like.. Well. Dried meat. I don't like pork rinds though. Wait, how are pork ears foreign food?

8 years ago

Just had real ramen for the first time, with shredded mushrooms and grilled chicken, and a poached egg, and green onions and sesame chicken broth... <3 good stuff.

8 years ago

Real Ramen? You mean the thousands of Ramen cups I have lying around aren't the real deal? 

Seriously though, I would kill for a bowl of fresh ramen from a restaraunt. No one serves it around my campus and I've been living off this fifty-eight cent ramen cups for three or so months now.

8 years ago

I miss curry. Nowhere I can find makes Japanese style, only Indian. 

8 years ago

Ooh, I've had Thai curry, but never Japanese.

8 years ago

I've had yellow curry at Thai restaurants before. I've never heard of Japanese curry though. I like my curry thick and spicy with a large helping of rice.

8 years ago

One of the nearby Kroger carries ghost-pepper curry sauce. It is impressively spicy, but the heat to flavor ratio is far too high. Of course, pre-made sauces always leave a lot to be desired.

8 years ago

Wow, that's really something.. Though I'd probably serve it to friends as a challenge rather than as an actual meal. Love me some spicy food, but I'm not THAT strong! :P

An oriental store nearby sells these premade curry packets. You can taste the quality (or lack thereof) but I still get them anyway for some extra diversity between my meals of rice/ramen and spam. Hot curry and some chunks of chicken can take me pretty far through the week.

8 years ago

Japanese curry is sweeter, less spicy. At least, so I've heard. I've actually never had curry before.

8 years ago
Wait, you've never had any curry?

8 years ago
What is "curry"?

8 years ago

Image result for curry

8 years ago
XD  It looks pretty good.  I did a web search and the definition didn't tell me very much.

8 years ago

This is a particularly good one.

It consists of mixed vegetables and paneer, a homemade cheese, similar to a pressed cottage cheese, but not as sour.

8 years ago
Not a fan of cottage cheese, but I'd try it.  :)

8 years ago

Indian food is really good, even the stuff you get at a buffet.

8 years ago
I don't go out to eat very often.  It's probably been twenty years since I went to a sit-down restaurant.  I usually just get take out, which is pretty limited in my area.

8 years ago

Yeah, I haven't really been too far into Missouri. I usually don't go farther north than Branson, 'cause that's where the fun stops. So, I can't really give you much advice on where to go for good Indian food.

8 years ago
I've only been to Branson once.  It was just to drop someone off, though, I didn't spend any time there.

Springfield looks to be the closest.  As for "good", I wouldn't know.

8 years ago

Yeah, I'm not real fond of places that are designed to attract tourists. Granted, I have been known to visit every city in Arkansas that has the word "Springs" in it, even those that don't have actual springs of any kind.

8 years ago

o.0 ... That... doesn't look or sound like any curry I've seen before. (Obviously I'm not an expert, but isn't it supposed to have that orangey-brown color because of the spices used?)

8 years ago

It's more of a dry curry (which, yes, I know, contradicts my earlier definition), but the potatoes and paneer do have a yellow tint to them.

8 years ago
I thought that was broccoli stem.  XD

8 years ago

It looks like a piece of potato to me.

8 years ago

... All I know is that I kinda want curry now.

8 years ago
The nearest Indian restaurant is about sixty miles away from where I live ... so I think I'll wait a while.

Edit:  Japanese, too.

8 years ago

Ha, I've been to Springfield once. I went to the Bass Pro Shop museum with my dad.

I only got to eat Chinese food at a hole-in-the-wall (and not even the good kind).

8 years ago

Not too particular about the dry curries though. Can't eat it with rice as well since I usually drown mine in curry.

8 years ago

Haha yeah, I ended up making some today.

8 years ago
I've only really made curry once in my life; it was unremarkable, to say the least. I got some jerk curry seasoning, a few days back, and I've been using it to make some kickass sweet potato fries.

8 years ago
It's a general term for dishes of meat and/or vegetables in a thick, savory, and usually spicy "gravy".

8 years ago

Not that I can recall. Maybe I had it as a kid and don't remember. *shrug* 

8 years ago

Have you ever had samosas?

8 years ago

Okay, that, I am sure I've never had. Sounds good, though.

8 years ago

They're great. I mean, the fact that they are deep-fried perhaps contributes to my existence as the world's only fat vegetarian. But, that's what makes meh fluffeh!

8 years ago

8 years ago
Doesn't your culture worship cows? /s

8 years ago

No, you're thinking of Hindus.

8 years ago
Someone does!  Have you priced steak lately!?

8 years ago

No.

8 years ago

xD I don't tend to sell my or anyone else's religious figures at exorbitantly high prices, but hell, I've seen stranger reasons, I guess...

8 years ago

Definitely.

I don't tend to put 'em on a conveyor belt, shock 'em, and slit their throats, either. Not that I have religious figures.

8 years ago

Their delicious, delicious throats...

8 years ago

Granted. XD

8 years ago

Anyone else try flan, now that's the shit

the only other exotic foods I have tried besides all the mexican stuff my relatives make at there fiestas from time to time, would probably be squid, it's so rubbery yet I feel a sense of  satisfaction when I bite into it.

8 years ago

Oh, yes, I love flan. I love most custards and similar desserts. I used to really love panna cotta, but it's not really my thing anymore, since it requires gelatin.

8 years ago

Give me some Tamales and Tres Leches Pastel, and I'll be in heaven.

8 years ago

But what if we don't want to kill you yet?

8 years ago

Lol I once got a three milk cake from some store, turns out it was sitting in the display case uncovered for about a week. Christ the taste of that thing, ew it's in my mouth again

8 years ago

One spoiled milk is bad enough; I can't imagine three of them.

8 years ago

My grandpa was hardcore Mexican so he didn't give two shits that Flys were in the display case, he got all offended that I didn't want to get poisoned from a cake that came from a shady cornerstore but idk,

8 years ago

In third grade I got a tres leches cake. My mom ordered it on the phone. On the other end of the phone the woman was sick and Mexicans were gonna make my cake. I was having a chill birthday party and everything, until I saw what the cake said: "Happy Birthday Beronica" They got my name wrong. The cake was delicious, though, so that's good.

8 years ago

At least yours didn't have pink teddy bears on it and say "Happy Birthday Nora".

Stupid Weis bakery...

8 years ago

Did it taste like irony?

8 years ago

Mexicans don't mix their B's and V's though.

Your bakers came from farther down XD

8 years ago

Did somebody say bullshit?

8 years ago

No, and I don't see anything in her story that jumps out as such.

8 years ago

You seem like such a downer for no reason at all.

8 years ago

Is your name at least something like Veronica?  Cause if it's like, Emma, that's even sadder.

One year when I was a kid, my mom ordered a cake for my birthday.  But she forgot to pick it up.  Finally after dinner, my brother asked "aren't we going to have cake?"   We drove over to the bakery, but they were already closed.  And they weren't open the next day, either.  Finally we went the next afternoon.  The bakers had put the cake in the display window and scraped my name off.   It was kind of stale by then.  I insisted on having the piece that used to have my name on it.

8 years ago

Didn't they used to execute bakers who did shit like that?

The only birthday cake mishap I've ever had was on my first birthday, when my aunt fed some of my cake me and I almost choked to death, or so the story goes.

8 years ago

Hey, you changed your post.

8 years ago

Yeah. I thought it would be funny to mention the hearing exam thing, but decided that it wasn't really necessary and it had nothing to do with the thread. That and I became rather uncomfortable about stating when my birthday was, even though, in hindsight, it's rather obvious.