Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

My first composition.

https://youtu.be/dugns4EEosM

Anyway, I'm a writer, artist, AND composer. Also dabbling in ceramics and other creative things.

Any critiques? So I can make my next piece better.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Nice! Really... classical? Much better than my first, I'll tell you...

My only critique is that it needs more 5/4.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Honestly, I have no clue what genre it is.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

First word that comes to mind is sonata.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Good work! Though I'm a little nitwit when it comes to music or art, I enjoyed the little piece.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

That was beautiful. I can't honestly say I found any fault with it, except that I wish there was more to listen to, heh. A minute feels short for something so pleasant.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

There was once or twice where there was a hesitation or a note wouldn't play. *shrugs*

Only a minute? Last time I timed it it was around 2 minutes. *goes back to check it* 

...oops. I may or may not have left out a giant chunk in the middle.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Quick, rewrite it in uncommon time!

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Ah. Perhaps it sounded intentional to me. Silence is also part of music, if that makes sense.

Hehe, then I'll look forward to hearing the full version.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Subbed. Want to hear more. :D

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I liked the part where you went to sit down the most

I mean, awesome job! That was beautiful! :P No, really, that was awesome! Though coming from someone whose only musical talent is to sing (terribly), I dunno how much my input is worth. Even so, I thought it was great! 

Also, take off that hood; I'd like to see your beautiful face clearly next time. ;) 

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I liked that part too. Nice little swing, eh? XD

My hood? What you are asking is impossible. It has been surgically attached. 

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

*Reads the thread title*

NO, TACOCAT! Don't do it! You have your life ahead of you!

*Reads the post.*

Oh, thank god.

*Watches the video*

... I may or may not desperately need to add this to my youtube music list. Especially to recover  its classiness, which has been tainted recently by some of Pink Guy's rap videos.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

...I can't tell if you're serious about that or you're just trying to be nice. 

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

No, really. I don't often give that kind of honor to music. Two Steps from Hell even has trouble getting on that playlist, even though it's a playlist of music I play around the house to make mediocre tasks feel more amazing.

Granted, there are upwards of 100 songs on it, but I've been building that playlist for 1 and a half presidencies. I don't add to it very often.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

*shrugs* Maybe you're a bit biased since you know me. (or as well as you can know someone from over the internet)

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Have you ever poured yourself a glass of water when listening to this? Seriously, do it. It no longer feels like pouring yourself a glass of water. It becomes a tragic and important task! This song forced me to do my goddamn homework! (Something I do even less often than update my music list.) Then again, everyone's music sounds shit to the person who makes it. I'm convinced most of the shit I do musically is shit. (Which it is, but I'd like to provide secondary evidence!) What absolute hell it must be to be AC/DC...

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Exactly. If you're belittling your own work, you know it isn't bad.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

*Unless you're not the only one. Which Taco is.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Oh my god. XD I do not advise listening it in 1/2 speed. You can hear just how badly out of tune the piano is. 

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

If it makes you feel better, I'll send you some of my bad trombone playing. 

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Oh my God, you're a 'boner too?

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Nice. Totally different from anything I've written. We should totally duet.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Is... that a suggestion or a come-on? Or both? xD

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Yes?

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I was confuzzled as well. I think he means something like this;

We should totally duet -> We should totally du et -> We should totally do it

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago
Well done.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Huh. You just changed the "rain" to "reign". I thought "rain" was more appropriate, to be honest.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Change it to "rein" next!

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Same here, buuuuuuuut...there were already 4 other songs named that and an entire animated series. Kinda testing out a few different names to see which one I like best instead. Got any ideas?

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

You can do what I do and come up with a word or two on the spot and then bastardize it into a completely new, unique title. Sure, maybe titles like "Forve", "Arbiance", "Lidsby", and "Malau" don't make much sense, but at least they're evocative.

(i.e. use "Wolvren" and it's totally not a stupid idea I promise.)

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

(Done. I like it. Thank you. ^_^)

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

(XD I reserve no rights.)

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

(...I look up 'Wolvren Rain' and all I see is this Wolverine guy. XD)

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

(Ignore the wolverine "correction", and boom! First result on Google.)

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

(Because people will totally look up 'Wolvren Rain')

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

(*Bonks Chris on the head*)

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Sounds like "life flashes before your eyes" kind of music.

I liked it. Short, true, but also sweet.

Tenouttaten.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

lol ur awfl u shud b ashmd

Just kidding, that was actually really good. I don't know jack shit about playing the piano or composing, so I can't give you any tips. Now if you played the trumpet, I could teach you a thing or seven.

Anyway, subbed like most everyone else on the thread.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I do play the trumpet, though I doubt you could teach me anything. I've been playing since 3rd grade, always 1st or 2nd chair. No matter how much I try though, I can't do anything more then read notes off the page with the trumpet. Piano is just the opposite - I can barely read the notes and keep tempo, but it's much easier to compose on.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

... Dammit, why the fuck do you have to be better at playing the trumpet too? *sigh* I'm gonna go rethink my life and see if there's anything I'm better than you at doing. I'm definitely better than you at being stupid, but that's not exactly a merit.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I dunno. You're probably better at vidya, m8.

Y'know, unless Taco is an MLG 360noscope 420blazeit smoke weed e'eryday player with multiple esports and MLG awards. But there's now way that they have enough time to play the piano and trumpet while honing Fazeclan skills, let alone logging on to CYS.

...right?

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Do you excel at anything not listed below?

Math, Science, Writing [fiction], Digital Art, Traditional Art, Ceramics, Piano, Trumpet, Reading, Counseling.

'cause everything else, I'm absolutely horrid at.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I'm decent at math, not that good though. Same with science and writing, though I'm positive you're a better writer than I am. Can only draw stickmen with both digital and traditional art. Suck at ceramics. I don't know how to play piano, but I play a mean trumpet. I'm a slow reader, and if I tried to counsel someone they might just go and kill themselves.

Well, I'm a decent songwriter and poet, and I'm not too shabby at singing (blood only bursted out of my ears once). Vidya is my specialty, and I'm a novice computer programmer (I know some commands in Basic, not much else). Aaaaaaand that's about it, I suck at everything else.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

All you need is to be attractive.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Not really. Even trophy husbands need at least a few skills.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

How much do you practice? Do you warm up properly?  

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Oh, shit. Thanks for reminding me, Chris.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago
Wow Taco, that was great. I can't wait to hear the next one, so yeah I subbed. Except, next time maybe place the camera a bit closer to the piano so that I could hear that lovely composition? Also, nice face. Nice pjs. Nice pole for your 'other creative things' ;) Hope I can see more of that too.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

That 'pole for your other creative things' is a lamp. So if you mean 'other creative things' to include reading or playing by...

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago
Oh shit! What a tall and pole-like lamp! XD

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I liked it. Only thing that would've made me enjoy it more would be if the change in tone and key was a little more gradual. Either way though, it was nice. Good job.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Fantastic. :D

Maybe I'd record my trumpet playing on day...Wait, I don't want to slaughter your ears. It's horrible.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago
Very nice.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

There are a lot more musicians on CYS than I thought there would be.

Good work! I liked the soft and dramatic feel of the peice.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

But... everyone can play the recorder, no?

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I did for a short time in 3rd grade.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

So did I. It was mandatory.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I've dicked around with the ukulele. Does that count?

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Not unless you can play Aloha 'Oe.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

For a first composition this was impressive, it certainly had elements that generated atmosphere and flowed nicely from one segment to the next.

I would honestly say just keep writing and playing the music, there was some slight hesitation around a few of the notes (This is not a criticism, fluidity in playing comes from many years experience of performing) but with time your playing and composing should just keep getting better.

There is a game for the Xbox called 'Child of Light' and a your piece was very reminiscent of a large part of the sound track, I would say look some of it up as it seems you are drawn to that sub-genre of classical music.

Keep it up!

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Perhaps add more contrasting dynamics?  Stop rushing ffs.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Eh, heh, I was nervous, alright? And highly annoyed, since that was about the 16th play through I had to do to get it even that good. 

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Don't worry and keep at it, like I said it takes years to be confident and completely smooth in performing (whether in person or in video makes no difference). 

I've also seen a lead violinist puke into a bucket before a concert so nerves are pretty normal :)

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I say it needs a bit more salt.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Damn, if this site had a like button I would like the shit out of this iiiiiiii [Number keys water damaged. Had to resort to upside down exclamation marks for now. Sorry for the inconvinience.]

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

...there's a like button on the youtube page where I posted the link.... :b

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I liked the shit out of it.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

#cheekyspon

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

I'm very bad at analyzing music, so all I can say is that it's a great piece.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Try being an oboe player. IT SOUNDS LIKE A DYING GOAT/DUCK HYBRID!!! I play it for my mom, and although it sounds funky, I can make it sound like a clarinet, then our ears are saved, lol cheeky I love it though, no matter the sound...

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

You've clearly never heard of the tromboon.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

My sister's a trombone, try again.

Have you ever heard an oboe?.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

As a former flautist sat next to the oboe section, yes. But I wasn't talking about the trombone—rather, the unholy combination of trombone and bassoon.

Tacocat's Huge Reveal!

8 years ago

Oh...O_o