Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

2019: Objective Weighing of Value thread

4 years ago
2019 was an awesome year! I was just having a browse down memory lane and I came across the thread celebrating the actually useful people of 2018. Let's see how that lineup went, and how we're all doing today. Last Year: SpartacustheGreat and Chanbot received a paltry handful of pity points. OriginalClamurai and Undr got the main recognition for reviewing. TheNewIAP got an impressive and unique tearjerking story published in featured games. WouldntItBeNice was really cranking out the stories, improving with using more natural sounding language by a noticeable amount, and got a fanfiction featured, which is still featured. Chris11302 had an even more dramatic transfiguration and got his first story featured, also a fanfic. Ogre11 was reviewing like a madman to become the most commended person on the site, and had a massive stable of games that needed acknowledgment. So that was all well and good for 2018, but where are they now? SpartacustheGreat and Chanbot: still kicking, good for them. They both managed an entry for the last contest and Ford even put a surprising amount of effort in. Undr: died for like half a year, briefly resurrected, then broke up with us to see other sites. It's not us, it's her. Last Relevant Action: Featured comment on 2/23/2019. OriginalClamurai: Who? Oh right...think he got eaten by an overpriced fish or something. Last Relevant Action: Featured comment on 3/3/2019 TheNewIAP: Last seen boarding a plane for India. Last Relevant Action: Won the EPIC contest and was featured with a game published on 9/24/2018. WouldntItBeNice: Still in Missouri. Exclusively writes sad abused waifu stories on fanfiction.net now. Last Relevant Action: Published a contest story in August 2019...oh wait, it was taken down. Uh, had a featured comment on 3/24/2019, then. Chris113022 - Still here! Got another featured story! He and Ford are the only ones from that list that improved. Ogre11 - Still here. No longer has anything near the most commendations, lol. Okay, that was all fairly pathetic. But let's look at 2019, which by any standards was an amazing freaking year. Most Meritorious Members of 2019 Jesus, where to even start. You know we had fifteen featured stories written in the past year? Sixteen if you count AzBaz's rerelease of Frameshift. That's a lot of people doing things of value. @Gower - the most obvious one. Three featured games, countless reviews, hosted a contest, judged a few more, saw a multi-thread let's play through to the end, became an integral part of the community, and all of that while doing professor things, writing a million word sequel to Tally Ho and having a family. I hope Jason gives him a raise, he is truly the most dedicated spy. @Cricket - It really blew my mind when I realized Cricket didn't even start doing things on the site until midway through 2018. She is inarguably one of the most core parts of the community now, an all around cool person, one of the most dedicated reviewers throughout the year and the greatest evangelical the Church of Endmaster has ever had. Also won the Lords of the Land comp despite hating writing even more than I do. @Bill_Ingersoll - Literally just parachuted in in April, skipped the noob phase entirely and started writing amazing reviews and awesome professional quality stories left and right. Needs More Reviews. @ninjapitka - Another one that joined midway through 2018 and came into his own in 2019. Published four quality stories, two of them featured, and one of those winning the honor battle against CoG over on CYS. Steadily reviews things and was literally the only person to finish reading and commentating on the real actual book on paper that Gower assigned. And then we have @BradinDvorak. BD has been faithfully updating the extension for years, modernizing the site, and making it a thousand times more usable if you're like me and can't stare at light pouring from a bright screen and searing its way into your skull anymore. (Seriously, This and this are what you're missing out on, as well as searching by tags and a bunch of other quality of life improvements. If you've got a computer at all I highly recommend swinging by Brad's profile and at least trying the extension out.) @MadHattersDaughter meanwhile just popped back in one day after a long hiatus, wrote a featured story and has been steadily wowing us with so much cool and cute art, the rarest and most magical thing among people who can only type words to describe things. And also my hips are apparently gigantic now and seem like they're just going to stay that way in the canon lore. @enterpride is literally just some fuckin noob who showed up and won a contest and got his very first story featured. 2019 was the year of random fuckin noobs outperforming the regulars. It makes me uncomfortable. @Camelon, same. Joined in September, four months later he has a 60k featured story with some really lovely prose, nearly finished another massive story on IS, has been doing reviews and giving great writing advice on the forum. Already in the top 10 list of Architects, if that means anything. (not really) @Chris113022 - Well obviously the big thing was writing When the Music's Over. Fantasy is THE most contended for category on the site, and he was blessed with this sudden magical burst of divine inspiration to kill Steve. Also as noted above, he's only one of a few from last year's thread still standing and one of two that has gone on to do even cooler things. (And okay let's be real, you can't REALLY compare Chris' trajectory to Ford's since he did lot of things the year before as well and then had to top it, as compared to Ford's cool new trick being doing anything at all...) This all being done with some big life changes and new demands on his time going on, he now officially writes gud, previous years weren't a fluke, and I'm looking forward to the new WIPs he's got going on. @Shadowdrake27 - Continuing the trend of bizarrely competent noobs. Joined at the end of 2018, has written several stories (which show rapid improvement) and has been extremely giving of his time with proofreading for others as well as writing reviews. @poison_mara - the only fully reformed CoGite we have and an amazingly dedicated writer. Her English is constantly improving and in terms of sheer word count, discipline with daily writing, and enthusiasm for participating in community events she has not slowed down or been surpassed. @pugpup1 - We had overlapping contests this summer, and we went and won them both?? Pug doesn't say much so I think he's often forgotten, but can turn out some quality writing when moved and writes some thoughtful reviews. Never know when he might just snap and take 2020 by storm, you just can't trust the quiet ones. @Avery_Moore and @TurnipBandit both contributed a ton of reviews and feedback in the earlier half of the year (and obviously Avery published Price of Freedom and it was kind of a big deal) before getting sidelined by personal stuff and health issues. Hoping for the best for both of them, they're just bizarrely nice people who deserve better.) And then of course @Chanbot deserves a mention for Most Improved. Ford was just a fixture around the place no one ever expected to do anything, getting these badass ongoing stories in the Creative Corner and then a contest story that displayed some actual effort were some pretty surprising and welcome things. @lopz66 @TheChef @DarkSpawn @Reader82, and probably others I've missed all continue the trend of noobs just coming out of nowhere and doing unexpectedly cool things and becoming an accepted part of the community with unprecedented swiftness. (or appearing and disappearing mysteriously when contests go up, in lopz case... Even @Megumeme will probably be a fixture on the site by this time next year, it seeming that all attempts to bully her off have failed. Anyway, even if we have some casualties this year like we did last year, that is a LOT of people going charging ahead to just continue being awesome, so I'm expecting some pretty great things out of 2020, and also ignoring the fact that we're already two weeks into it and I'm just now getting around to making this thread.

4 years ago

Try as she might, Thara won't discourage me :)

4 years ago

Congratulations, everyone. Here's hoping this year will spawn more cool stuff.

4 years ago
I always knew, deep down inside, you love me.
Seriously though, thanks for the mention. It gave me all sorts of weird smiley feelings. You guys are all great.

4 years ago
I forgot to mention you were technically included in the 2018 thread. End had some good powers of prediction there.

4 years ago
Probably comes with a certain level of greatness.

4 years ago
Forgot to @bilbo, and I'm sure there's others I missed. Putting her in the 'got lined up in 2019 to kick ass in 2020' category with several others.

4 years ago

I'll take it. I less kicked ass in 2019 and more just glared a bit and thought about kicking ass. 

4 years ago

Twenty twenty is totally going to be my year.

4 years ago

This is a cool recap, and I am glad I made the list. 
Congrats to everyone listed above, I look forward to reading all the big stories everyone has in the works for 2020. If you need proofreading help from a "bizzarely competent noob," just let me know, haha.

4 years ago
Thanks for the mention, even if I didn't make anything special compared with the others on the list. I hope still improving and in five years be able to have a commended story in sci-fi, my favourite genre. Constant work and effort is my way of working.

4 years ago
This is a cool list. Thanks for mentioning me, Mizal :-).

4 years ago
All my work this year was fueled by mad jealousy for not making the cut in 2018. I mean, I had like nine commendations at the time, come on. Did my four 50 word stories mean nothing to you? I suppose I can take down the red-haired elf dart board off my wall now. Also, the list this year is gigantic compared to last. Looking forward to the stories you all put out.

4 years ago

Congratulations to those included! To another year of productivity, if we don't get sidetracked by the Discord!

4 years ago

I didn't realize Bill_Ingersol and some others were that new, too.

Or that I'd cracked the top ten list for Architects, fun! Now, who do I need to assassinate...

Also, I really need to finish Blade of the Hollow on IS. I think I set it back to private, for now. I need to finish the endings. Eventually I plan to copy it over to here and add in the content I couldn't put in because of the deadline.

4 years ago
Weird. I feel like somebody's watching me.

4 years ago

I'll just add that Ogre got a story featured in the horror section when he won the succubus contest.

4 years ago
Oh wait, Ogre did win that one, lol.

I was thinking pugpup had since I remembered his was featured too.

Well entering both contests and getting a feature from each is so pretty impressive.

4 years ago

Thanks. Glad to be here. Don't forget I also helped judge the Lone Hero contest.

4 years ago
Awh shucks :,~)

4 years ago
I have zero motivation to write unless there’s a contest. The longest story I’ve written outside of this site is only a few thousand words long. I’ll try to be around more but no promises.

4 years ago
>no promises

ok bye

4 years ago
If it helps, I can take away your points and only give them back when you publish something. Simulate the genuine contest experience.

4 years ago

There's a contest to write a Ressurection-themed story on Infinite Story right now. Apparently they even have variables now, which would have been so useful during the Battle in Ancient Ruins competition.

4 years ago

Sort of glad they weren't around at the time as it was funnier to see the CoGites bitch and moan about not having variables available.

4 years ago

No need to thank me everyone, making the site a better place is just my natural instinct. 

4 years ago

Thank you Mizal, very cool! The site does seem to have a ton of productive members now, which means a lot of great stories from everyone that I need to get around to reading!

4 years ago

Just read a Bard's Tale, it's great! Need to re-read it a few times. I like that the choices also rhyme, very cool.

4 years ago

Thanks Mizal, I'll see what I can do about coming out with something that breaks 6 this year (with any luck).  It's been fun participating so far.

4 years ago
keep this thread wholesome or I kil

4 years ago
Bill is a very nice man and I apologize for baiting him so good, and then promptly losing my senses and falling for my own bait. Thank you very much for the acknowledgement and I hope 2020 will be as good a year for me as the last two years were.

4 years ago

I'm happy with all the new blood we got in the community! It kinda freaks me out how hardcore some people get, how do they find the time?

Cricket is a fantastic CYS underling. Gower is Pops. Reader82 seems to have a featured in the making, and yay for poison_mara! ^_^ This site has always been an important little corner of the net to me, and I hope to actually be somewhat useful in this year.

(I'm still using the beige version of the site with the doodles on the top. Maybe it's time for an update....)

4 years ago
Thanks puddlebunni, your comment made me smile :-). I needed the motivation to keep chugging for the long journey ahead.