Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What happened to this place?

10 years ago

Now we have so much more users it feels like, and while that's great, I can't help but feel like this website has taken a definite change. It used to be a small community having great conversations and intellectual debates, but now this place has been reduced to nonsensical banter half of the time, which is all good except for the fact that the banter isn't usually funny or possessing any redeeming qualities. If I wanted that I would've gone on Facebook. 

10 years ago

That's well said. Ride the storm, my boy, and don't feed the trolls.

10 years ago

There is a place far far away where some CYS users have migrated to. It is a site that I cannot mention in public for fear that the trolls will storm in and ruin it for us...

It is... Aurora! :D The land of legends brought to you by yours truly, Alvin. Go to www.aurora.net to find out more.

10 years ago

Yeah, rather annoying. 

10 years ago

Oh, I was so focused on the forum game aspect of the site that I didn't realized that we generated this much trolls...

10 years ago
More so in the last week and increasing by the day :(

10 years ago

It'll all be over, soon.

10 years ago

*Gulp*

10 years ago
madglee ftw!

10 years ago

He's just saying trolls eventually leave on their own. He's not actually going to do anything lol.

10 years ago

Is that a dare?

10 years ago

It's a double dare!

10 years ago

Triple Dog Dare you to lick that icy pole!

10 years ago

You fools! madGlee will devour your souls!

10 years ago

I blame naru.

10 years ago

-sniffle- Why?

10 years ago

I blame every user past Alvin's first disappearance. (Yes, Aman, Drakilian, you're in the safe zone.)

10 years ago

I ain't that bad... :(

10 years ago

You're worse than a lot of users who were here 8 years ago.

And they were pretty bad.

10 years ago

Meh.

10 years ago

I personally blame anyone who participated in the foolishness after it got out of hand. This does include myself, let's just not let it happen again.

10 years ago

That's true, some more than others.

And I suppose I should've stopped 'wib' the moment it got out of it's original thread. Though it (thankfully) wasn't all that big.

10 years ago

hmm.... I guess thats me too? Crap. Sometimes i have so much fun that it gets out

of hand

10 years ago

I'm sorry for existing ; - ;

10 years ago

Don't worry, you don't seem that bad. -hugs-

10 years ago

Ah-ah-ah! *slaps Naru's wrist with a ruler, then puts it between them the long way,* This far apart, kid.

10 years ago

Awww... -hangs head dejectedly-

10 years ago

what if i told you that writ still exists

10 years ago

Well, it doesn't have much to do with my awkward chaperone reference, unless you're not using threaded view, but welcome back, regardless.

10 years ago

I'm a lot stupider so. Sorry. xD

10 years ago

Why must you put a space in between true love? 

10 years ago

Is that what kids are calling mutant pedopile rape these days?

10 years ago

pedo....pile? 

Now that sounds like the kind of pile I want to be in!

10 years ago
*facepalms* idiot, a it's pedop ile (peh-dahp ee-lay) which is a Latvian soft-drink company -.- geez, get it right.

10 years ago

I shouldn't have dropped out of my Latvian class :( 

10 years ago

You see. This is why we blame you naru.

Bad naru.

10 years ago

-sobs quietly- I'm sowwy...

10 years ago

10 years ago

>.>

.-..

<.<

*Sneaks away.*

10 years ago

See, look here.  Useless stuff. ...'s most of the time and weird stuff. Why does this happen. Our happy community is slowly transforming into a base for the trolls! We must do something at once.

10 years ago

"You, the users, have to behave in a rational, mature manner. This means respecting others and not personally attacking others. We've all heard this before, since kindergarten.

The blame is surely not on any of you, but there are ways to respond. If, for instance, we simply deleted troll posts and never acknowledged the troll, it may go away.

It is very easy for an online forum, and I mean that literally, a forum where one cannot see the other and there seems to be no penalties, to descend into a bickering pit of flaming and tongue-lashing.

We must prevent this. While we cannot keep out all undesirables, we certainly can come together as a community, and rise above it." -- Madglee.

10 years ago

There is such a pistol-whippin' comin' I don't even know what to say. If I am forced to act like an adult or authoritarian jag off power hungry talking head pundit moron at any point I may spontaneously detonate.

10 years ago

When in doubt act like an authoritarian jag off, it's personally more satisfying. Acting like a civilized adult never solves anything in the long run.

10 years ago

Pfft... come now, "never"? How often do you think people actually  try "acting like a civilized adult"?

If you think it's been tested often and long enough to say "never," then you are more optimistic about humanity than I am (and possibly blind to the behavior of the past and current world leaders as well.)

10 years ago

There were good people in the past too Kiel. lol

10 years ago

... "Good" is not the same as "mature."

Also, "good" tends to be a relative concept. You and I may not see eye to eye on how good those people were.

10 years ago

Or I could've just been making an off hand comment to encourage Madglee to go on a banning rampage for my own personal amusement.

But if you want to go on your own emo filled rant about the evils of the world go for it, an Internet forum is the perfect place for such things.

10 years ago

And if you're in this discussion solely for your personal amusement, good for you. Not everyone else is, though.

... Right. Sounding cynical makes me emo. *eye roll* Here's an idea: Maybe I'm making my own comment directed similarly about how "acting mature" is more productive than people might think because we haven't really tried it yet. (Not that I've seen.) Saying it's not working when it's not being sincerely attempted is a bit foolish.

10 years ago

Except you do this with nearly every post and your "eye rolling" and "sighing" completely defeats the purpose of whatever point you're attempting to get across and all you really do is come off looking like a pretentious whiny douchebag.

You don't sound cynical, you sound emo.

10 years ago

Nit-picking at my typing habits and name calling isn't very productive, you know. Still, looking on the bright side, I might as well be flattered that someone would pay enough attention to me to claim that nearly every post I make is the same. 

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinions, valid or not. I've thought similar things about you.

10 years ago

Lol. I'm sure a lot of people have and I won't dispute being a dick.

But I wouldn't flatter myself with paying attention to your posts, I tend to pay attention to everyone's post no matter how retarded they may or may not be.

And "productive" is subjective just like your claims of what is "good and evil" 

For example you haven't actually done anything of note here except sigh, whine and eye roll most of the time. Now if you're taking steps to actually change that, and given this new found desire to want to argue with me for no apparent reason I'm guessing that you're turning over a new leaf. Congrats on being a productive member of the internet. Woohoo.

But this idea that the forum is becoming some cultural/intellectual wasteland is laughable because like ALL Internet forums it's going to go through cycles. Right now is a low point and actually it's better than it was a few weeks ago. Given that most of the people here are teens, immaturity is going to be somewhat always here. We haven't had any more or less topics of "importance" despite the nonsense.

Most people here, and yes this includes some of the people that make pointless posts like Mtactical or puddibunni (Just using them as examples, there are more) are fine. Can they curb their pointlessness a bit? Sure and most of the time it gets called out and they complied. So this idea that the place is just filled with immaturity and uncivilized folks isn't even accurate.

Even when we had the troll, it was basically just him using multiple accounts rather than a bunch of them.

Really this whole thread is a case of "The sky is falling" because something like this gets said like every two or three months and the place isn't doing any worse than it has in the past. Hence why I don't really take threads like this seriously anymore.

10 years ago

I can't help but feel that this place has changed also... Something feels different, whether that's just me becoming slightly more mature or my writing skill improving or just the people in general just...something feels different.

10 years ago

It's because members move on and people leave for their own lives. Stories are completed and forum-game are finished. Nothing really changes with the site but the people there are different.

You'll likely feel as if something changed overtime in a place you visited constantly in real life too.

10 years ago

I agree, Playa.

Also I think it's ironic that the exact sort of conversations which are mentioned in the OP are literally happening in this thread by users apologizing for existing.

10 years ago

If you'll look at the amount of posts I have in comparison to the time I've spent here, you may notice something. I talk more than a lurker, but a hell of a lot less than many people here. (Example: I've been here almost 2 years. I have less than 500 total posts. Delta--no offense intended, I picked a newer member than me at random--has been a member for 6 months. Post count: 8541. Yeah. I'm a very quiet guy. And my interest in the forums is actually something that picked up only very recently. I use to be much quieter.)

Why? My response is to ignore conversations and nonsense I don't want to participate in. I still make an attempt to have actual conversations and debates, but I also abandon them if they get too silly or too stupid. (I enjoy silliness, though, if it's actually funny to me.) I agree with Madglee's philosophy. I'm riding things out, having fun where I can, and trying not to feed trolls. (Does not mean I always succeed, but who does?)   

... That is also the reason I rarely post on or participate in Facebook, and have a very small amount of friends there. I've gotten probably a hundred (conservative estimate) more requests than the ones I've accepted, but I see no reason to friend everyone, especially if we're not actually friends or genuinely close family.

10 years ago

Would a "your posts can never exceed your point total" coded rule help?  Alex and I have a meeting scheduled to prioritize community needs and finally implement the redesign.  Jjj we would like you and madglee to participate in a conference Call if your able.  Keep an eye on your email.

10 years ago

Holy shit.

10 years ago

At first, I thought this might work, but...

... then again, I don't see how limiting people who haven't done anything wrong would benefit the community as a whole.

10 years ago

Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of the posting trophy? I dunno, don't think it matters. Heck, I don't always consider that having a top-posting trophy necessarily a good thing haha.

10 years ago

... Now that, I agree with. I think a top-posting trophy encouraged a lot of people to post random, stupid shit just to up their number.

10 years ago

I think the posting trophy is ridiculous.  I also think the trouble I'm having on this website on my mobile is ridiculous.  Sorry to vent when the problem I'm experiencing with the site is on my own shoulders.  Perhaps all accounts could start on forum restriction (1 post per 1 pt) until restriction is removed by an admin?  Or would that be leaning too heavily on you Jjj?

10 years ago

I think maybe a 400-600ish post limit would work. But I think maybe the rest of the mods/admins could have this power too so we don't have to rely on people who are not always here.

10 years ago

1 post per point isn't smart, as not everyone is in it for the points. I 400-600 post limit seems good, or even a 100-200 post limit so the mods can see if they're respectable, then if they are, take off the limit.

10 years ago

I put it up high since some people join just for a forum game before becoming involved with the actual site. You can't really decide if he's annoying when he might be deliberately playing an annoying character because that's what he wanted to play.

10 years ago

I like the Idea of admin locking posts.

10 years ago

I think most new users -- legitimate new users who you WANT to be members here -- are going to be baffled and put off by a seemingly arbitrary posting limit.

This 'solution' sounds considerably worse that the problem, frankly.

10 years ago

Hmm... I agree, but I also know of a site that had that rule, and it was great until they removed it. Then it went downhill 

albeit, the site was very different then this one.

10 years ago

Ah? What kind of site was it, if you don't mind me asking?

10 years ago

fighunter, I think. They changed the rule a while ago though.

10 years ago

Fan-site for a video game developer (which has turned into a site filled with such insanely entitled fuckers that I can't help but think hatefully of them every time Pseudo tries asking them to stop screwing with his life)

10 years ago

Yeah, the site is totally screwed up now. The cooler dudes have left. But while I was there it was in prime-time.

10 years ago

Yeah, before Mardek 3 came out, the site was filled with intellectuals. I left right before it was released for a trip, and when I came back, it sucked. 

10 years ago

You still read his blog? I can't believe he hasn't just up and shut down the damn site.

10 years ago

Not really. I pop on every couple of months though.

10 years ago

David S still lurks. Though he became a creepy anime addict XD

10 years ago

Really? Sad to hear. David S was awesome. 

10 years ago

Nah, he's still probably the only rational mind on the site. Though he started lurking rather than posting once the current crap started going on.

10 years ago

This is what happens when you come up with something witty and clever, and it catches on to the company you don't want.

10 years ago

Meh, it was Pseudo's fault in the end. Or at least, his own personal issues were the cause. Everything crashing down on him really screwed up the site. (I think it all started when his girlfriend broke up with him.)

10 years ago

Figgy had that? Or is it something else?

10 years ago

If you're going to do one post per point, that would be rediculous. There's a lot of damage you can do with 1 nastily HTML'd post, you can permanently fuck up 15 threads that way just by joining the site, you can take out an entire forum by lurking. Not to mention the lengths you can go to, (incredibly huge, stupid pictures) without needing to use HTML. By limiting a new person's posts, you're pretty much only putting a light damper on the things they can  do, even then, there can always be alternate accounts, and proxy servers.

10 years ago

So, if someone had a hundred points, would that mean hey can only post a hundred times, or that only 100 of their posts count?

10 years ago

^I will be very worried if this is the case.

10 years ago

Updated my reply.

10 years ago

Holy shit

10 years ago

"Would a "your posts can never exceed your point total" coded rule help?"

...what?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this. You mean the points that we can acquire at the rate of 1 per day, and/or by dueling? Those points?

If so: No. No it would not. :P

10 years ago

*Looks at current post and point count

Point count: 461

Awwww.....

10 years ago

xD Epic. I personally think we should just avoid the point lock. 

10 years ago

It WOULD damper the damage a troll could do, but it could also cut off some people who happen to be intelligent at the wrong time.  This would probably lead to skimming, innaccurate ratings, and other forms of point-hoarding. Then MAG points would become nearly as disreputable as post counts.

10 years ago
you also earn one point by reading a story & rating it, not merely by dueling & one-per-day. Still, everybody seems to dislike the idea. Brainstorming ideas.

10 years ago

Give me your hand, and I'll give you my dick.

2 years ago

Lol, fag.

2 years ago

Well this place definitely got better from 7 years ago.

2 years ago
I want to know what Ford's post said.

2 years ago
"I'm sorry for technically spamming up many threads with silly arguments against a fictional enemy. I'll get better, I promise."

Needless to say, that was a lie.

2 years ago

There. I restored what Ford said to Kiel seven years ago and locked it so he can't edit it again since history must be preserved.

2 years ago
As curator of the CYS history book, I'm sure it's one of your top priorities to make sure the true history is preserved for both posterity and lolz. Thank you for your service.

2 years ago
Lol, never saw that argument you had with Kiel before. What a passive aggressive cunt she was. But no one who uses *sighs* unironically had ever been otherwise, of course.

And whew, that Animus_Alvin guy, even with most of his posts lost to the void...*sighs and rolls eyes* ...posters like that are exactly why Forum Games needed to go.

Yep. Good thing we don't do forum games anymore...

2 years ago
When I'm posted this, I hadn't realized there was such juicy lore surrounding Animus_Alvin. Or rather I'd heard the story but forgotten the names.

Maybe Endmaster or Sentinel want to go into the details though as I'd only be repeating it second hand.

2 years ago

Sent probably has better knowledge on the drama since I can never remember if Alvin was the young faggot claiming he was going to commit suicide or was the other older faggot preying upon the younger one.

2 years ago
Alvin was the older one who tried to go across the world for the younger one and only stopped when the younger one was like "no wait, I have a dick", as they were posing as a girl at the time. He (Alvin) then made a really long post about how he was leaving to travel the world for inspiration for writing or something like that, and was never seen again.

2 years ago

Oh, no, he came back for like 2 weeks (coincidentally like the year after the younger one stopped using the site) under a different account claiming he forgot his password, did a bunch of forum rp, then (I think) got in an argument with Thinslayer, and like a while after that his posts slowed down to non-existence.

2 years ago

So what was the suicidal tranny's name then?

2 years ago

Everybody called them Silver, but there was more to it. And iirc they had a bunch of numbers which makes them literally impossible to remember by default.

2 years ago
As long as the name started with the word Silver it wouldn't be hard to narrow down to somebody active in 2014. Assuming any kind of drama posted outside of forum games to make it worth typing five letters and clicking the search button, which is really asking a lot of me right now.

2 years ago

I want to say the Alvin and Silver (Was it silverblade?) drama was sometime between 2013-2014. Pretty sure Silver disappeared completely soon after it though.

Oddly, part of what might narrow it down would be an unrelated person in this drama which is Aeon Spiral's activity, since I know HIS suicide PM to Drakilian came a few months after Silver's. (Then he later left the site around the time TSR spammed the forums and posted CP)

Of course all these threads are deleted so it's harder to piece together this important CYStian event with any accuracy.

2 years ago
https://chooseyourstory.com/member/?Username=silverblade12345

Well that's disappointing. All posts lost with FG and whatever monster deleted good drama.

Amusingly though he listed a 1980 DoB. Could be false of course but it's funnier to imagine Alvin was trying to get barely legal pussy from a dude in his 30s.

Kind of like what happened with IAP.

2 years ago
Wait, no, that can't be him. Silverblade was active like one day in 2012.

2 years ago
Anyway I can't sort through these right now but anyone else is welcome to give it a go. You don't even need admin powers, just go to send a new message and type Silver in the recipient box for the full list.

So many cats and wolves, ugh.

2 years ago
SilverFlame1995 was their name. Also looking back at my PMs (and the database), it looks like Alvin left June of 2013, and came back briefly during 2014 for some more forum games before leaving permanently.

Also seems like, unsurprising, I didn't get along with him. Probably because I was big into RPing at the time and he was pretty shit at it.

And yeah, Drak got a surprisingly high number of people to share with him they wanted to off themselves lol.