Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Escape the Dark Sector sign up and rules

2 years ago

Okay, going to just make a new thread for this. Here's the characters to pick from.

I can take a large single picture if someone really needs one, but you should be able to see them all well enough.

Those stats in the right corner are Might, Cunning, and Wisdom. In that order.

Mizal and Malk already picked their characters. Out of the interest of fairness, two more slots are reserved for HelpfulCon and Peng assuming they're actually playing and didn't just vote,(I know Berka said he wouldn't have time) but this is going to be first come first serve to choose characters.

Lt. Abbot - Mizal (Combat Protocol) (Team Alpha)

Lt. Cook - Malk (Auto Cortex) (Team Alpha)

Lt. Miller - Corgi (Neural Override) (Team Beta)

Lt. Smith - Matt (Weak Point Analysis) (Team Omega)

Lt. Tailor - Peng (Enhanced Reflexes) (Team Beta)

Lt. Tanner - HC (Advanced Targeting) (Team Omega)

I'll fill in some of the rules a little later in the thread when I have more time. This is all just set up for now anyway. Game won't start until after the current contest.

2 years ago

If I'm able to join I would like Lt. Tailor please.

2 years ago
Perhaps the Tailor, idk I can't see the pictures(problems on my end, no worries)

2 years ago

Smith has high strength, low cunning, and slightly below average wisdom 

Tailor has low strength, high cunning, and average wisdom

Tanner has low strength, average cunning, and high wisdom. 

Hope this helps you choose.

2 years ago
Well, tailor sounds fine.

2 years ago

Matt and HC (assuming he's still playing) will have to pick either Smith or Tanner. 

2 years ago
I like how they are all still the same "Classes" as their Dungeon counterparts lol!

2 years ago

t

2 years ago
And yet for some reason they got rid of Sigourney Weaver.

2 years ago

Since all the spots are taken up, I would like to express interest in whatever the next game is.

2 years ago

Well the spots haven't even been taken yet by the two people who expressed interest and they were both online today. If I don't get an answer from either one soon (like tomorrow), the spots will be up for grabs again.

2 years ago

Sorry! Haven't checked the forum until now. Being the Connoisseur that I am, I naturally choose the wise and cunning Tanner.

Those stats in the left corner

I think you mean the right corner.

2 years ago

And with that, Matt gets Lt. Smith by default.

I'll probably post a quick rule set at some point in this thread and then start working on setting up the game proper.

2 years ago
It was really just a choice of Abbot or Cook based on the portraits alone, not surprising those were the first ones grabbed. Abbot is surely some kind of grizzled war veteran and the most chad of the lot, you can tell he's been through some shit.

2 years ago

@mizal @hetero_malk @corgi213 @PerforatedPenguin @Matthaeus @HelpfulConnoisseur

All your characters have a cybernetic implant so you might as well pick that for your character as well. I'll explain them and it'll be first come first serve.

Advanced Targeting: Once per round of ranged combat, you can reroll one of your ammo die. You must accept the second result. HC

Auto Cortex: Once per chapter when you're not in combat, you can reroll your crew die. You must accept the second result. Malk

Combat Protocol: Once per round of close combat, you can reroll your crew die. You can choose which result to use Mizal

Enhanced Reflexes: Whenever you roll one or more hit dice, you can re-roll each of them. You must accept the second result. Peng

Neural Override: Whenever you roll a double outside of combat, you can change it to a single and apply that result instead. Corgi

Weak Point Analysis: Once per round of close combat, when you roll a double you can change it to any single instead and you still block. Matt

2 years ago

Once per round of close combat, you can change it to any single instead and you still block.

What is "it"?

2 years ago

Fixed.

2 years ago

I pick advanced targeting.

2 years ago
Not entirely clear on what all of these mean without knowing the details of the combat system, but I'll take Combat Protocol since it's the only one that lets you choose which result to use.

2 years ago
Enhanced Reflexes sounds like a solid choice.

2 years ago

I'll take weak point analysis

2 years ago

Neural

2 years ago

Auto Cortex

2 years ago

Oh right, I was supposed to explain some of the rules.

Well if you're familiar with Dark Castle, it works pretty much like that.

The combat is slightly different due to ranged weapons available and damage type. One major difference is the option to "flank" an enemy during ranged combat.

Doing this puts you at risk in getting hit as you get into position. You also don't attack that round, but next round you get the chance to do a more damaging attack with no chance of getting hit.

There is also damage type which is energy, ballistic, and explosive. Some enemies are going to be more or less resistant to different types.

Also your ranged weapons do not have unlimited ammo and you're going to have to reload them every now and then. Typically a weapon might have 1 or 2 bursts before needing to reload. However, since I'm going to be doing all this book keeping, we can just assume you reload as needed.

There is also a medical drone which is essentially the "Take cover and heal" option during combat. Obviously though if you're the only one left in the group, you can't do this.

Finally there is close combat, which works just like it did in Dark Castle. Caving in someone's skull is a simple affair, so the intricacies of damage type don't apply here. You're just using brute force (which is hopefully a lot of dice) to take down your opponent.

Of course things will be explained as needed during the game.

2 years ago

Oh inventory limit is 4 slots.

Some things are two handed (Usually certain weapons) so these will take up 2 slots rather than just 1.

2 years ago
Wow, this will be really cool

2 years ago
What do the crew and ammo rolls do exactly?

2 years ago

The crew die is just the normal die you get for your character to test for things. That works exactly how it did in Dark Castle. If a challenge/combat requires wisdom, you'll be trying to roll wisdom on it.

So for example, your particular die has:

1 cunning side.

1 might side.

2 wisdom sides.

1 double might with a shield.

1 double wisdom with a shield.

(Everyone's die is different based on their stats)

The ammo die is seperate but there's different results on that too that vary.

Typical ammo die has:

Normal hits, a miss, a critical failure and a critical hit

Normal hits and misses are self explainatory. Crit fail and Crit hit can vary, especially the failure.

Crit hit typically does double damage to whatever you're fighting.

Crit fail can have a few results. For example crit fail for a regular ballistic weapon usually just results in it jamming and you can't shoot anymore for that combat. It also means none of your other shots do anything either even if they hit.

A crit fail with an explosive or energy weapon can be a bit more damaging since this usually results in the weapon over heating (energy) or outright exploding in your hand.

2 years ago

I'm just going to post this here rather than 3 separate times

Current Status Update

Abbot

4 HP

Battle Rifle, Shock Prod

Cook

10 HP

Alien Blade, Rusty Pipe

Miller

9 HP

Pulse Rifle, Ray Gun, Force Field

Tailor

5 HP

Slug Pistol

Smith

7 HP

Slug Pistol, Power Wrench, 2 Chrono Bombs

Tanner

11 HP

Battery Cannon, Ray Gun, Chrono Bomb

2 years ago

Meant to ask, those who played Dark Castle and Dark Sector, any particular comparisons or thoughts on the two games. Even if you didn't play one or the other, you can just mention your observations between the two.

2 years ago
I think it was just a combination of no expansion packs, smaller teams (and thus quicker decisions and less opportunity for LARPing) but we seemed to breeze right through Dark Sector. I'd enjoy seeing it run again sometime, seems like it requires just the right amount of commitment without it becoming a big time sink.

2 years ago
t'was fun, there's no doubt about that.

I felt that because of the split teams we had slightly reduced teamwork, but the interaction between the characters stayed at a healthy level.

I liked the different attack types, that adds another layer to the overall gameplay.

2 years ago

Definitely a bit easier than Dark Caslte, although I think you mentiond that was by design by the creators or something.

It was still really fun tho. 

2 years ago
I'd like to join if you do it again.