Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Popular Video Games Are Boring

2 years ago
Video games are boring now. They are bullcrap, low-effort, and bad. I haven't played a good game in a while.. I think I am one of the only people in my school that likes retro video games or any type of good game that isn't repetitive. It's always NBA 2k, Fortnite, Halo, (a good game but sometimes) Minecraft, COD,(new COD, not the old ones) Among Us, (was decent until you couldn't hack anymore and randoms) and much more.

2 years ago

Play indys, there's a lot of them now.

2 years ago
Only one problem, I don't have a laptop... I can't afford one either, but when I can I will play some, I also really want to make an RPG someday.

2 years ago

There's actually quite a few indys available on consoles too nowadays. You just sort of have to look for them and granted there aren't as many, but there's enough. Not sure what sort of games you're mostly looking for, but they exist in all genres on consoles if you seek them out.

Lot of indys on phones/tablets too.

2 years ago
Ah okay, I'll take a look. Thanks. I'm more into SRPGs, Story games, Fighting and Interactive Fiction games and horror as well. But Google Play is terrible when it comes to a decent type of game like that. Maybe one or two games but that's it.

2 years ago
Clearly you have yet to hear of the greatest mobile game ever invented... Our sponsor, Raid: Shadow Legends!™

2 years ago

Honestly, I hate hearing about that game so much. Everyday I have to look at it. It's annoying... It looks boring after you play it for awhile. I haven't tried it yet but I won't ever.

2 years ago
I think you're just listing off the games you're bad at..

Sure, Fortnite and COD are over-rated. But, Halo and minecraft? I mean, Halo's been a household name since the dawn of time, and minecraft was around since 2010. They're both good games, one is a sandbox and the other is a multi/single player experience.

I know its easy to jump on a game's case, but I think you're trying to be that quirky gamer who only plays story games or whatever. That's like me saying, "I only like the Shakespearean plays that were written for the Globe Theater"

2 years ago

Recently, there's been discussions around here about Mechanicus, Slay the Spire, Inscryption, and Fallout. All of these are great games.

2 years ago
You listed a small handful of shit games and then complained about all video games. You can't even access the vast, VAST majority of them as a console fag, and even consoles aren't nearly as limited as what you're listing. Basically you're eating out of a dumpster behind a McDonalds while loudly complaining that no one knows how to cook anymore.

2 years ago
Not to mention the decades of game content that's been produced on consoles that they never played either. I mean there's just no point in complaining about modern games even if you don't like them, when there's such an obvious solution right there

2 years ago
I haven't touched a console in years... closer to decades? but from what End says I know you can basically just download a lot of things I'd been used to thinking of as PC games anyway. Besides all the stuff available for other devices.

@SoulYenn567 play Darkest Dungeon and Slay the Spire, Sunless Sea, Stardew Valley, whine less about Fortnite.

Exiled Kingdoms is a good phone game I made a thread about that nobody posted in.

2 years ago

Hell, there's things like Stellaris and Civ 6 on consoles now.

2 years ago
heya! avid game enjoyer here, of the indie variety. I've seen maybe one or two people recommend indie titles in general, but I'd actually like to throw a few specifics your way, feel free to give them a try!

Omori is an rpg horror game one of the recent bigshots from the indie scene; if you fancy a bit of grinding thickened with an immersive story about a boy and his trauma, you'll like omori.

Needy Streamer Overload is a resource management game, where the "resource" is a social media addicted, wanna be streamer! It's very anime, but i think the writing and humor is very good. I will probably be bullied for recommending this very weeb game, so if ya like it, don't hesitate to pm me about it if ya don't wanna out yourself.

Vampire Survivors is this rouge-lite indie game where you run around a map auto-attacking enemies and collecting upgrades; it's much more fun that it sounds, i promise! depending on how sucked in you get, a session can last anywhere from minutes to an hour.

Inscryption is a indie card game, where you fight with card monsters and roleplay with a cabin freak, that's all there is! I promise :). The actual card game aspect is simplistic enough to catch on to fast, yet in depth enough to keep ya wanting to play more!

Bloodborne PSX is an old game remastered! or, weeelll....remastered may be a stretch, as it was redone in that ps1 graphical style, but it's a fun little game nonetheless! It isn't of course, the entierty of bloodborne redone, a playthrough will be about an hour to two, but if ya like those graphics then you'll enjoy this game!

aaaaand that's all for now! I hope at least one of these tickles your fancy, ahah

2 years ago

>bullcrap, low-effort, and bad

>Among Us was decent with hacks

It's one thing to be retarded, but it's another thing to be a retarded hypocrite.

2 years ago

Okay here's a big list of indy (and some not so indy) strategyRPGs, story driven RPGs, and IF related games for consoles and phones. Just going to give a brief description of these.

Darkest Dungeon: Already mentioned and you're probably aware of it, but it's good enough to mention again assuming you haven't played it for some strange reason.

King of Dragon Pass: Probably one of the best interactive fiction/civ sim ever. Can't even think of another game that's similar to what this one does, except maybe...

Six Ages: This one is a semi-sequel to KoDP. (Actually a prequel) Not as good as the first one, but still pretty good.

Seedship: This one is at its core an IF with some stats. Should be able to get multiple playthroughs with this one.

A Dark Room: This one might fall more into "survival" style game, but it does have an IF feel to it a bit.

Star Traders - Frontiers: Open world rpg, combat is tactical turn based. You got a lot of choices, be a pirate, trader, bounty hunter, etc.

Weird Worlds: Similar to Star Traders on a much smaller scale. More of a shorter exploration sim with a few choices to be made.

60 Seconds! & 60 Parsecs!: Both of these are essentially resource management IFs. Just the settings are different (Post apocalyptic and scifi)

Occidental Heroes: Light RPG with tactical combat and a few IF style choices.

NEOScavenger: Survival based RPG, with some IF style choices

Out There: Scifi. Resource management based IF.

Reigns: Simple IF style game taking control of a dynasty

BitLife: Might be one of the more mainstream ones on this list, but honestly it really is probably one of the biggest life simulators and they're always adding to it. If you want a game with a lot of choices, this is probably closest to "real life."

This War of Mine: Again, probably one of the more well known names on the list and leaning more towards survival sim, but there's a lot of choices and character management here.

Fallout Shelter/Sheltered: Survival based sims with some choices. Shelted is probably a little more "grimmer" than Fallout Shelter mainly because of the brighter colors and vault dwellers are just too happy looking and cutesy looking as opposed to the faceless silhouettes of Sheltered, not to mention parents can EAT their dead children in Sheltered (Or vice versa)

Don't Starve: Going to just throw this one in here as another survival sim recommendation.

Tinman Games: Seriously just look them up and you'll get a shitload of IFs to pick from. If you're into the old school gamebooks, they've got a lot of the Fighting Fantasy books in digital format. If you want something a little more original try their "imaginatively" named...Gamebook series. They only made 12 of them, but they're a lot better than the old FFs. They really should have continued with the series. Besides those two series, they got other IFs to download as well.

Sorcery! series: These are digital updated versions of the old Sorcery gamebooks from the 80s. Similar to the FF series, but more complex. Inkle redid these and they're pretty good though some of the changes they did from the original books are a little more convoluted storywise than it needed to be.

80 Days: Speaking of Inkle, you might as well pick up this IF from them as well. A straight up IF with some resource management (Mostly money, time and items)

Disco Elysium: Story driven RPG. And I mean pure story focus. There's like no combat at all, though there are a shitload of stats. (Maybe a little too many) LOTS of choices to make. (If Malk sees this thread, he'll probably go on in more detail about this one)

Torment - Tides of Numenera: Story driven RPG. There's combat, but that's not really the focus. Lots of choices, multiple endings, secrets to uncover, lots of world lore, etc.

Planescape - Torment: And THIS one would be the grand daddy to the last two games I mentioned above. I would probably still consider it the best of the three (Though I might be biased due to having played it A LOT back when it first came out). This one is going to play more like a traditional RPG than the other two as there is definitely more combat, but it still really takes a back seat to the storyline and plot.

It is an OLD game though, so be prepared for potentially clunkier UI than newer stuff out there. It's also currently packaged with the first Icewind Dale game (Which is the exact opposite of Planescape since Ice is a dungeon crawling hack and slash, but if you're into those, it's definitely fun and worth playing)

Exiled Kingdoms: Mizal mentioned this one, and I'll mention it again. It's more of a traditional style RPG if you're into those. Lot of exploration and building up your character.

Beholder 1 & 2: Not exactly sure what genre these would fall under. They're sort of like a more interactive "Papers, Please" (Another cool game) style game. You're essentially playing as an employee of a dystopian state and earning a living by spying on folks and reporting them...or not. There is an over arching storyline and that can branch a bit depending on who you're ratting out and/or helping. I liked the second one more than the first. Supposed to be a third one on the way.

Anyway, that's a sizable list for now. But there's plenty more than I mentioned out there.

2 years ago
On one hand I question whether someone who has declared games a lost art based on a handful of lowest common denominator trash titles really deserves such an effortful reply before they attempt some browsing of their own, but on the other hand, this is a good list and turning this into a video game recommendation thread is probably the best thing that can happen to it. Hopefully somebody manages to save this poor lost zoomer soul.

Untold RPG is another good phone game that's an IF and RPG hybrid.

They could try The Long Dark or Raft or something if they wanted more open sandboxy/survival things that aren't Minecraft.

2 years ago

Saving this for whenever I get bored with my current games, thanks!

In the vein of games where you play as an employee of a dystopian state and earn a living by spying on folks, I can also recommend the Orwell series, where you browse through the social media and private communications of terrorists and freedom fighters. Unlike most games in this genre, government surveillance isn't portrayed as a pure evil but instead as a moral gray area needing careful balance.

2 years ago

FromSoftware always never disappoints. 

2 years ago

Surprised I forgot this one, but also the Banner Saga trilogy.

Good example of a story driven RPG with turn based tactical combat.

2 years ago

Elden Ring just came out, this is not the time to be pessimistic about the future of AAA games 

2 years ago

I think he's dead now.

Anyway, going to go ahead and recommend Atom RPG, which is basically Fallout in Russia. It's probably more grimdark than the original Fallout as well due to some of the stuff referenced in it.

Oh and don't worry, it wasn't made in Russia so if you buy it, you won't be supporting war crimes.

2 years ago

Well, now I don't want to buy it 

2 years ago

Well SOME of the developing team are Russian so maybe you'll be supporting sex slave trade and illegal arms dealing.

2 years ago

Sold 

one year ago
Yes, I can partly agree with you, but there are a lot of games now, and I'm sure it's possible to find something you'll enjoy.
I like playing games, and I've played a lot of them. Not each I liked, but still, some of them are indeed amazing

one year ago
Are you a bot?

one year ago
No! I'm just a new member

one year ago

Nice try, BOT.

one year ago

I think the original dude of the thread is dead now. Just came here to rant and then disappeared.

one year ago
I wouldn't say that, I'm still playing GTA 5 for a year now on an online server and I'm not bored. In fact, there is always something to do =)

one year ago

End! Your necromancer got loose again. >.<

one year ago

Oh, probably a bot or third world spammer.

They'll usually make some sort of semi-normal comment then go back and edit it by putting links in.

Of course they can't do that now that it's been responded to, so they'll probably just make an outright spam post unless I ban them now.

And done.

one year ago

check out the last of us & botw rn, they're insanely good 

one year ago

Stop being such a zoomer and go play the original Deus Ex. I reinstalled it after a few years and confirm that it still rocks cock 

one year ago

Just like last time, he's dead.

The original Deus Ex is still a good game though.

one year ago

I tried running it on an emulator some time ago. How did people play this game on computers when it came out? There are so many buttons jeez, I kept forgetting what to press. Gotta say though, even though I was doing so bad I had to play on the lowest difficulty, the amount of variety in those first two missions I played was pretty fun.

one year ago

I will say, the thing about a lot of retro games is that they aren't as much fun to play with friends as a simple shooter game or a sports game. There are probably other people who like retro games at your school, but if you want to meet them, you could start a club or something.