WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Message

Share your short stories, poems, collaborative works, original artwork and more.

Bad Seed (Collaborative CYOA)

22 days ago
Commended by mizal on 8/24/2019 7:25:52 PM

Welcome to Ansonia

Welcome to Ansonia, a wealthy Connecticut town circa 1928. Note the darkness of the map; the shadows have always held a bit of Ansonia – ever deepening, as impending threat of economic recession looms increasingly closer. The rise of darkness is near and the Mythos stirs…

---

1928, The Ansionia Day, Wednesday, November 14th

Baby Snatchers Still At Large

It was another in an incomprehensible string of heartbreak and loss, when Mrs. Shay Farrel, wife of Farrel Foundries CEO Henri Farrel, found an empty nursery yesterday morning as she went to wake her one year old daughter Ellen.

The window was found left ajar by the kidnapper; while some light footprints in the flowerbed below suggest a culprit of light build, possibly female. A search by local authorities discovered an unusual acid-burned depression in the ground, 130 yards east of the home, in a wooded corner of the estate. The coroner examining the area found no evidence that the baby had been killed by the acid, so hope remains that she will be found and her kidnappers brought to justice.

The strange acid burns are identical (and believed to be directly linked) to those found with the disappearance of three other small children in recent weeks, suggesting that a kidnapping ring or even (as has been voiced by concerned residents) an evil cult may be operating in the area.

---

Points of Historic Interest

• A building in Missolongi Greece is bombarded with stones from the sky for a half an hour.
  • Bible Quoting Earle Nelson is hanged at Winnipeg for the international murders of at least 22 landladies.
  • Black rain in Ireland.
  • Capone crew estimated to reap $60,000,000 from illegal beer and liquor.
  • Charles Lindbergh Flies nonstop between New York City and Paris.
  • Dempse/Tunney fight broadcast in Chicago, 40 million claimed to listen. Five listeners died of heart failure during the famous 13 second Tunney recovery, another five died during other fight moments.
  • Earle Muller successfully uses x-rays to induce mutations in fruit flies.
  • Estimated 30,000 speakeasies in New York City.
  • Estimated 50,000 deaths resulting from bad booze since prohibition.
  • First remote jukebox.
  • Iron Lung developed.
  • Lemaitre introduces the notion of the expanding universe.
  • Pop-up toaster.
  • Public opinion polls reveal majority of people in favor of 18th Amendment repeal.
  • Sacco and Vanzetti executed.
  • The Jazz Singer first feature length film.
  • Transatlantic telephone service established between New York and London.
  • Unprecedented Vermont floods carry strange bodies past observers (The Whisperer in Darkness).

• Amelia Earhart first woman to fly across the Atlantic.
  • Byrd expedition sails to Antarctica.
  • Danish training ship Kobenhoven disappears without trace after sailing from Montvideo.
  • First television sets $75.
  • Geiger counter.
  • Herbert Hoover wins Presidential election.
  • One divorce in six marriages.
  • Publication of An Experiment With Time.
  • Teletypes come into use.
  • Vitamin C.
  • Waterproof cellophane developed.

22 days ago

"Lucky" Luci McKinley

Spitfire Private Eye
Age 33; Gender Female; Height 5’10”; Weight 155

Luci was born and raised in Ansonia Connecticut, the oldest of three girls. She was something of a tomboy from the start, perhaps because her father had really wanted his first child to be a boy. She grew up playing baseball, was the class bully, and a dead-aim with a slingshot. At one point, she decided that ‘Luci’ was too girlish a name and started making everyone call her ‘Lucky.’ The nickname has stuck ever since.

Luci’s father was Chief of Police when Luci graduated High School. He wanted her to pursue law enforcement, as he had, and helped her get into the Hartford Connecticut Regional Police Academy. Though interested in the field, Luci was too willful to finish training at the academy and decided to go it alone as a private investigator.

Since then, she has investigated mostly domestic cases, but has helped to solve a murder or two. One case in particular was so grizzly, that Luci had to ‘bag’ the remains herself, because the coroner couldn’t stop throwing up.

Recently however, Luci has had a run of bad luck. First, when she got the goods on some kidnappers and arranged the bust that freed the hostage, local officers Cray and Smith got all the credit. Her client then refused to pay her fee because “the police department had done all the work.” Only after Luci’s father got involved (he is retired as Police Chief, but still carries a lot of weight) did the department offer a formal apology for its oversight. Luci’s client never did pay her though. A week later Luci’s car broke down less than a mile from her home. Because it was late, she simply left the car and walked the rest of the way. Returning in the morning with the local towing service, she found her car on blocks with all four tires and the battery gone.

Lastly, a recent investigation turned sour when a woman hired Luci to get proof of her abusive husband’s infidelity so she’d have grounds for divorce. While tailing the husband, Luci failed to notice him circle back behind her until she woke up the next morning in the ally with a splitting headache and a Louisville slugger on the ground next to her. If that had not been enough, her client dropped the case, saying that she had made up with her husband and no longer needed Luci’s services.

They say bad luck comes in three’s, so Luci is hoping her bad luck has played out. Even so, that crack to the head has caused Luci to start experiencing infrequent blackouts. The periods range from a few hours to (in one case) two whole days. Luci hopes they will go away soon, but otherwise feels in perfect health.

Family
Luci’s mother and father still live in Ansonia, not too far from Luci’s home. Laura Kennedy (Luci’s first sister) also lives in Ansonia with her wealthy husband Roger Kennedy. Laura is having a baby and is due any day now. Luci’s youngest sister Mary is going to school in Concord New Hampshire.

Resources of Note
  • Nice House in a Good Neighborhood
  • 1926 Ford Roadster 2 Door Street-Rod
  • Smith & Wesson .45 Revolver
  • Fashion Savvy & Chic Clothing
  • Expensive Wrist Watch
  • Leather Driving Gloves
  • Gold Cigarette Lighter
  • Cigarettes
  • Lock Picking Tools
  • Handcuffs
  • Flashlight
  • x6 Binoculars
  • Notepad and Pen
  • $200

22 days ago

June 26th 1928 (five months earlier)

You have been asked by social services to accompany Arnold Penshaw, an elderly social worker, to the home of the wealthy socialite Mr. Brad Kingsly. Arnold has a court order to remove Mr. Kingsly’s son, two-year old Sonny Kingsly, and bring him back to social services to be put in the custody of his mother, Mrs. Sara Kingsly.

You know they wouldn’t have brought you into this, unless they figured Mr. Kingsly was going to be troublesome. Well, that and the police were unwilling to get involved, due to Mr. Kingsly’s political clout in town. Not like you can trust the local blue-boys to do the right thing anyway, especially ol’ Cray and Smith.

As you rode over in Arnold’s 1925 Dodge 4-door touring sedan, you considered the elderly gentleman in somewhat unkempt aristocratic clothing that you were working with. He was old. Hell, he had to be in his mid to late sixties. You even remember him from your childhood. He had been a well know stage magician back then – pretty damn good too. But something had happened a decade or so back you recall; and he suffered a terrible mental breakdown. They had to lock him up in the loony bin over it. Seems sometime last year though, he suddenly snapped out of it and was released. You can’t help wonder if he still did any magic – he really was that good.

Arnold pulled the car over and checked his gold pocket watch. “Right on time,” he said, tapping the dial before proceeding to open his door to get out.

Stepping out on your side of the car and looking around, you could see that you were in one of Ansonia’s more affluent neighborhoods, surrounded in high-priced homes and overly-tended lawns. Arnold hobbled towards the nearest one, supporting himself on a fine walking cane with silver eagle’s head handle. The two-story home had a privacy fence enclosing a patio and pool in the back, guarded by two Doberman Pinchers (apparently) that you could make out pacing silently back and forth between the slats in the fence. Interesting that they did not bark. They must be well trained animals.

Mr. Kingsly had money and seemed to enjoy showing it – as attested to by a brand new, freshly polished, 1928 silver convertible Bentley that sat in his open garage, a garish symbol of status on display.

Arnold went up the steps to the porch and gave a pleasant sounding rap on the door. There was some movement within the house and the door opened. It was Mr. Kingsly. “Oh, it’s you,” he said flatly. “Come in. We’ll talk in the sitting room.”

You followed Arnold into a fastidiously well-kept home, luxuriously appointed with artistic fervor and the finest of furnishings. It was readily apparent from the décor that Mr. Kingsly has an affinity for both horses and sailing; pursuits common to society’s more privileged.

In the sitting room, a small boy sat silently – almost woefully – in a chair next to a large leather armchair with a built in art-deco ashtray. The boy didn’t stir or say anything as everyone entered, but seemed to look right through you. There was something creepy about the kid’s stare, as if he’d seen something he shouldn’t have and it broke him.

“Please, have a seat,” Mr. Kingsly directed, motioning you and Arnold toward a long leather couch across from the large leather armchair. There was a coffee table between the two with a box of fine Cuban cigars and a large glass ashtray on it. “Cigar?” Mr. Kingsly offered Arnold, as he took a seat.

You couldn’t help but notice he hadn’t even acknowledged you yet – let alone offer you a smoke too.

“Oh, delighted, thank you,” Arnold replied – and the two men took a moment to light cigars and take a few puffs. You didn’t much care for cigars anyway, so you quietly took out your cigarettes and lit one up.

It was at that point that Mr. Kingsly suddenly seemed to notice your presence.

“He killed one of my dogs you know,” Mr. Kingsly abruptly stated out of the blue. “I don’t know how he did it, but it’s done. I am a good father, raised with discipline. It will be the same for my own son.”

“One of your dogs?” Arnold began to ask in shock.

“DAMN IT! I’LL RAISE MY SON HOW I SEE FIT!” Mr. Kingsly abruptly shouted - leaping out of his chair and actually hurling it through the window with a loud crash.

You were instantly on your feet, while poor Arnold seemed frozen on the couch in disbelief.

“SHE WON’T TAKE MY SON AWAY FROM ME! SHE WON’T HAVE HIM!” Mr. Kinglsy frothed madly with wild crazy eyes – as a P08 Luger pistol seemed to appear in his hand out of nowhere – pointed at your chest!

“You!” He growled fiercely, his eyes fixated on you. “You won’t take him from me now Sara!”

It was clear from his ravening stare and calling you by his wife’s name that he was going to shoot!

---

A. Leap at the man and try to disarm him. Maybe Arnold can hit him with his cane.
B. It’s you or him! Pull your revolver and let him have it!
C. Try to reason with him, explain that you are not his wife Sara.
D. Go with the delusion, pretend to be Sara and tell him you aren’t going to take Sonny away from him.

22 days ago
Hell yes.

Option D. Just until he lets his guard down.

22 days ago

D.

21 days ago
Clearly, the most unreasonable and least likely to work option is D.

D.

21 days ago

Oh this is cool. 

D

21 days ago

D, because bandwagon.

21 days ago

The only way to work with Crazy in the short-term is to try and misdirect it. D!

21 days ago
D.
It's my favorite letter.

21 days ago

https://cdn.discordapp.com/emojis/539906035620773894.png?v=1

21 days ago
No u

21 days ago
I mean, the guy is crazy but the kid is clearly evil. We don't want him, we don't want none of this, no thanks. Let's just go home.

21 days ago

Option D. Obviously the only thing that would temporarily pacify him. 

20 days ago
Commended by JJJ-thebanisher on 8/28/2019 8:06:38 PM
<D. Go with the delusion, pretend to be Sara and tell him you aren’t going to take Sonny away from him.>

---

“No darling,” you begin, slowly raising your hands in an attempt to calm the situation. “I would never take Sonny from you! I want him to stay with you. That’s why I’m here, to tell you I’m sorry. We can make up and be a happy family again!”

Mr. Kingsly hesitated. He wasn’t shooting, which was good – but he hadn’t lowered the pistol yet either.

“Wha…what?” Mr. Kingsly stammered in confusion.

Arnold’s voice abruptly interjected – strong and commanding – “Mr. Kinglsy, I want you to close your eyes.”

To your astonishment, Mr. Kingsly actually complied, shutting his eyes and standing there – gun still pointed at you, but otherwise frozen in place. You noticed something strange, now that your focus had been drawn from the luger in Mr. Kingsly’s hand to his closed eyes. There was a flickering movement under his closed lids – like someone in a state of rem.

Arnold then stood out of his seat and walked over to Mr. Kingsly, placing a hand atop Mr. Kingsly’s gun hand. With a single swift motion, Arnold threw Mr. Kingsly’s arm downward and commanded – “SLEEP!”

Mr. Kingsly’s head nodded forward and his shoulders slumped – his arms hanging down limply at his side. The boy Sonny let out a sort of short whine at the display, but didn’t move from his chair or seem otherwise concerned.

Arnold then took the luger out of Mr. Kingsly’s hand and began removing the bullets.

“How?” you asked incredulously.

“Hypnotism,” Arnold replied, “but not from me. I noticed the twitching of his eyes, as if he had gone into a dream state, after mentioning his dogs. I can put a man into that state through hypnosis (it was part of my act once), but I didn’t initiate it in Mr. Kingsly – it was already there, apparently. What I did however, was take advantage of the highly receptive state hypnosis put Mr. Kingsly in.

“If you didn’t hypnotize him, then who did?!?” you asked, not liking the implications.

“Ah, well, it may have just been the stress Mr. Kinglsy was under, due to his current family situation and all. He probably hasn’t been sleeping and that likely just caught up with him all at once.”

You didn’t buy it, but at least the man was no longer threatening to shoot you. “So, what now?” you asked, motioning to Mr. Kinglsy – who for all appearances seemed to be dead-asleep on his feet.

“Right,” Arnold said, ushering Mr. Kinglsy back down in another chair. “Mr. Kingsly,” he then commanded, “You will sleep for two hours; after which you will awake refreshed and in a remarkably good mood. You will decide that it’s best for Sonny be with his mother and will dutifully see to the financial support of the both of them as determined by the court. You will not try to contest the court’s ruling.”

Arnold then dropped the bullets from the luger into his pocket and set the pistol up on a nearby bookshelf. He took the court papers he had brought with him and set them on the coffee table.

“Well,” he continued, turning to you, “I’m going to see if I can gather some effects for the boy, before we leave. You won’t mind sitting with him a moment will you? Oh, and don’t worry about Mr. Kingsly, he’ll stay asleep.”

---

A. Stay with the boy. Maybe you can get him to open up a bit if you talk to him.
B. Have Arnold stay and go gather some of the kid’s clothing yourself.
C. Tell Arnold to forget the clothes and just leave with the boy now.

20 days ago
B This shit is super weird and alarming but obviously we should never pass up an opportunity to snoop.

20 days ago

Gonna go with A on this one.

20 days ago

A. We should get more info about what's going on and the boy could be a good source if he's willing to talk.

20 days ago
But he's evil and has evil powers. Although I'm a little worried about leaving Arnold alone with him too.

20 days ago

Well in that case he's going to be trouble later on anyways. Might as well find out now and plan accordingly. Also maybe he'll like us and won't use his evil powers on us later on.

20 days ago
My reasoning is that out of the two people who are not us, one of them hypnotized the old man. If it was the boy, Arnold being knowledgeable of hypnotism might be enough to keep the same from happening to him. If Arnold is in fact the secret bad guy, then we shouldn't let him do what he wants. Also, snooping. I'm hoping to find a diary or mysterious key or something.

20 days ago

A. Things always go bad when you look away from them in this sort of story. Better keep an eye on everythign while you investigate.

20 days ago

A.

20 days ago
I don't think pissing off Mr. Magic is good idea since he can apparently hypnotize our ass.

A.

18 days ago
Commended by JJJ-thebanisher on 8/28/2019 8:06:52 PM
<A. Stay with the boy. Maybe you can get him to open up a bit if you talk to him.>

---

“Sure, no problem,” you replied to Arnold, glancing over to the boy, who just continued to sit there dolefully.

“Okay, I’ll be right back,” Arnold said, moving out of the sitting room and up the stairs in the main hall. You could hear his cane hitting the steps each time he used it to support himself on the way up.

“So,” you began, turning to face Sonny and offering a bright smile, “My name is Lucky, what’s your name?”

“Sonny,” the boy answered with the most dead-faced look you had ever seen on a toddler. At least he was talking… sort of.

“We’re going to take you to see your Mommy, would you like that Sonny?”

“I’m thirsty,” he stated simply.

Weird, most kids showed a little more enthusiasm about their own mothers at that age. There was definitely something wrong with the kid.

“Uh, okay,” you agreed, standing and offering your hand to the boy. “Come on, let’s go into the kitchen and see if we can find some juice or milk.

Sonny reached up and took your hand, using it to pull himself up off his chair. He passively allowed you to walk him out of the sitting room and down the main hall into the kitchen.

‘Just keep him away from any large kitchen knives,’ you found yourself thinking, feeling a strange unease around the little boy.

“There,” Sonny said, pointing to the icebox.

You walked over and pulled it open, seeing that it was well stocked. Taking a large cup from off the nearby dishrack, you poured some cold milk out of a tall glass bottle and turned to hand it to the boy.

That’s when you became aware of a certain familiar scent – the metallic tang of blood in the air.

Carefully masking your sudden concern, you passed the cup of milk to Sonny as if nothing was amiss, and gave the place a quick glance around.

There – next of the door leading into the garage was a tied hemp russet-sack, soaked in blood, and leaking all over the floor. The large, misshapen lump, must have been sitting there for a while, judging by the size of the pool.

---

A. Ignore it. Take Sonny back to the sitting room to wait for Arnold.
B. Ask Sonny about the sack on the floor.
C. Go see what is inside the sack.
D. Call for Arnold to come take a look.

18 days ago
I think we found the dog.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this one. I guess B?

If the kid is evil (obviously he is) we shouldn't turn our back on him to mess with untying it, but for now we have to treat him like a kid who seems to be in shock. So we can't just be flopping his murdered dog out onto the floor in front of him. So opening it ourselves is out matter how look at it.

Ignoring it makes no sense.

Probably we should call Arnold, really, but Sonny may say something to give us more of an idea of what's going on here, and we should still be able to check the bag out afterwards.

18 days ago

B, definitely. Best to ask Damien Thorn here what's in the sack, if we go and check ourselves he may get pissed.

Edit: Changing it to D.

18 days ago

The rebel in me says C. We've gone too long without taking Sanity Damage!

18 days ago

I'm gonna go with D on this one. Sonny is clearly fucked up and bringing up the sack or messing with it ourselves might cause him to freak out. Ignoring it isn't really an option either and I'd rather have Arnold around if the kid does flip out so he can hypnotize him and put him to sleep or something.

17 days ago
Meant to say this earlier but yeah, I agree with DarkSpawn. Changing my choice to D.

17 days ago
Like I said, that's probably the most sensible option, but I want the juicy information. And Arnold is technically just like five seconds away and within shouting distance if things go wrong.

16 days ago
<D. Call for Arnold to come take a look.>

---

“Okay, let’s head back to wait for Arnold,” you told Sonny, pretending not to have seen the bloody sack. Leading him once again by the hand you entered the sitting room and paced nervously, waiting for Arnold to return. You felt a small wave of relief upon hearing the familiar tap of his cane, as he came back down the stairs.

“All set to go,” Arnold smiled, holding up a small satchel of clothes.

“Oh good, I’ll take Sonny to the car,” you replied, moving up to take the satchel and whispering covertly into Arnold’s ear. “You need to check out something in the kitchen, it may be important to know – but brace yourself, it’s messy.”

“All right,” Arnold replied, waiting for you to take Sonny out of the house before turning to head toward the kitchen.

Arriving at Arnold’s sedan, you opened the door for Sonny to get in the back, then closed the door and walked around to get into the front passenger seat.

You then noticed the small gathering of curious neighbors on the sidewalk pointing and gossiping among themselves, conserving the broken front window and large leather armchair sitting out on the front lawn.

A man approached your window and asked, “Ah, Miss, is everything all right?”

“Yes, don’t worry about it,” you replied sternly; “This is a social services matter. I am not at liberty to discuss it with you, but feel free to take it up with Mr. Kingsly if you like.”

A moment later, Arnold hurried out of the house, his face notably pale.

“Good day,” you said to the man at your window, waving him off.

When Arnold got in the car, you hid the side of your mouth from Sonny and mimed the word “dog?” to him.

“Ah… y, yes,” Arnold coughed, taking a moment to clear his throat. He turned in his seat a moment to give Sonny a sidelong glance – visibly shuddering before turning back around and starting the car.

You didn’t want to press the matter now with Sonny here and figured you’d have time to ask more about what Arnold saw later.

Arnold pulled the car back onto the road and began driving back toward social services.

A few minutes into the drive and you found yourself thinking about what Arnold must have seen in that bloody sack. It must have been the dog that Mr. Kingsly mentioned being killed, but no way a two-year old could kill a healthy Doberman. Maybe Mr. Kingsly killed the dog and was taking it out on his son for some reason.

It was then that a large black dog suddenly bolted out from between two parked cars and into the road up ahead. Arnold didn’t seem to notice and was on a direct course for running the animal straight over!

---

A. Yell “Look Out!” to warn Arnold of the dog in the road.
B. There’s no time, grab the steering wheel, and maneuver around the dog.
C. There’s no time, close your eyes and ready yourself for the gruesome impact.

16 days ago
Man, somehow we managed to leave that house without anything significant happening at all. Great job picking the boring options, guys. A, I guess. Grabbing the wheel is obviously idiotic and A may or may not let us dodge the outcome of the last one.

16 days ago
Also gonna go with A.

16 days ago

SAVE THE TURTLES!!!

i mean.... dogs 

my bad

16 days ago

A. This way, it's not my fault!

14 days ago
<A. Yell “Look Out!” to warn Arnold of the dog in the road.>

---

“Look Out!” you yelled, trying to alert Arnold to the large dog in the road. It was enough to startle the old man, but not save the large black beast. The front of the car brutally thudded into the dog before Arnold had even hit the brakes, which locked up, right as the animal went under the tires – effectively smearing the grizzly carcass all over the road.

Once the car had come to stop, Arnold hopped out to assess the damage.

“I never even saw it,” you could hear him saying to himself, as he walked to the back of the car. “Great Scott! It’s like the bloody sack in the kitchen! Oh Lord, poor thing even has a tag…”

“Bad dog. Teh heh heh…” Little Sonny snickered from the back seat with a disturbingly curled grin, as he began to rock back and forth.

It was all you could do to stay seated there in the car with the kid.

A moment later, Arnold returned to the car and got back in. You could see blood on the side of his right shoe. Looking In the side mirror, you saw that Arnold had shoved the remains of the dog over to the side of the road.

“Normally, I would take the time to find and apologize to the owners,” Arnold said, as he resumed driving; “But in this case, I feel it best to deliver this child to his mother as soon as humanly possible.”

“No kidding.” You replied bluntly, lighting up another of your cigarettes. “Smoke?” you offered Arnold.

“Please.”

Once the car had moved on from where the dog had been hit, Sonny settled down and remained quiet for the rest of the drive.

Arriving at social services, Arnold parked the car on the main street, in front of the building. The two of you got out and you opened Sonny’s door for him. The child climbed out, and for the first time since you had met the boy, his face lit up with some life.

“Mama!” He exclaimed happily, hurrying over to a woman walking towards you and Arnold on the sidewalk. Mrs. Kingsly was well dressed, as a woman of her station would be, and accompanied by Mother Carrol – head of the local orphanage.

‘Odd,’ you thought; ‘Surely they do not intend to give the kid up for adoption after all the trouble we just went through to get him back from his father.’

Mrs. Kingsly meanwhile, scooped her son up in her arms with a tearful hug. “Oh thank you! Thank you for rescuing my son to me,” she said to you and Arnold.

She seemed genuine. At least the kid was her problem now, and you could get on to some real cases. The kind of cases that paid better and didn’t involve such freaky weirdness.

“You are quite welcome, our pleasure,” Arnold responded to the woman. You just smiled with a nod.

“There now, you see?” Mrs. Kingsly turned to address the nun, “I told you it would turn out all right.”

Mother Carol held Mrs. Kingsly’s hand a moment. “I do wish you both the best. God be with you. You know how to reach me if there are any further… problems.”

A black limousine then pulled up to the curb and a chauffeur got out to open a door for Mrs. Kingsly and her son. After Mother Carol had watched them get in, and the limo was beginning to drive off, she turned to you and Arnold – “Please forgive me if I sound cryptic, but I simply must see the both of you tonight about a serious matter. We cannot talk about it here. Please, come to my office at the orphanage, tonight at 7:00 pm.”

“Of course,” Arnold agreed.

Something told you this wasn’t going to be next case you were looking for.

---

A. Simply accept and meet up with Arnold at the orphanage later that evening.
B. Remind Mother Carrol that you’re a private eye and don’t normally get involved in church matters.
C. Jokingly ask if this has anything to do with more demon possessed children.

14 days ago
B. It's exactly what a cool private eye would do.

14 days ago
B

If she wants our time she needs to give us a better explanation than that. None of this cryptic stuff, doesn't she realize that just means she'll be found murdered before she can tell us what she knows?

14 days ago

A. A job's a job- Besides,the more secrets we know, the more dirt insight we'll have on the local area. That's real imperative for a person in our line of work.

13 days ago

A. No reason

13 days ago

I feel like C might be a trigger for the Mother to spill some juicy info. 

12 days ago
Egads - an A/B tie! We need a breaker.

12 days ago
@TurnipBandit you there! Go with B!

12 days ago

B.

I want to see what Mother Carrol says.

12 days ago
Thank you.

11 days ago
<B. Remind Mother Carrol that you’re a private eye and don’t normally get involved in church matters.>

---

“Mother Carol,” you began, trying not to sound too dismissive; “What could the church possibly have need for a private eye? I highly doubt that you’re gona ask me to tail the Bishop and take incriminating photos of his evening interludes.”

“Why, I… hmph!” Mother Carrol stammered, offended at the very suggestion.

“If you have legal matters, then wouldn’t the police be the more appropriate course of action?” You quickly added.

Mother Carrol looked down, took a deep breath, and let the perceived insinuation slide.

“No, not at all actually,” she answered, getting closer and lowering her voice so no one else would overhear. “Something is happening to the children of Ansonia,” she explained with palpable concern. “We are seeing some ‘things’ in the orphanage that lead me to believe there is a terrible force at work. Obviously, I can’t go to the police with nothing but “a bad feeling about it”, so we need someone to investigate a little further first.”

“I’ll certainly help where I can,” Arnold volunteered.

“Thank you Arnold,” Mother Carol continued; “We feel your experience working with families and children in social services may help immeasurably in this matter. As for you Ms. McKinley,” She went on, addressing you once again, “we need an investigator. You are an investigator. Please come by this evening, at least to hear what we’ve been dealing with at the orphanage before deciding.”

“Fair enough,” you replied with a nod.

“Thank you,” Mother Carrol finished, straightening and turning to walk back up the sidewalk.

“Well, I better go finish my paperwork,” Arnold said; “Meet you at the old church then?”

“Yeah, see ya.”

---

(Continued in Next Post)

11 days ago
It was 7:00 pm sharp, as you stopped your street-rod along the curb in front of the Ansonia’s orphanage to park. Arnold had already arrived by that time, and was sitting in his sedan, smoking a cigar as you drove up. He got out of his car as you hopped out of yours and the two of you climbed the stairs of the old rundown church that housed The Holy Family Orphanage and Charity.

The tap of Arnold’s cane on the steps had become a familiar sound to you by this time, but you made a mental note to consider the impact it might have, should the “investigation” actually require stealth at some point.

Opening the heavy oak door that lead in, you and Arnold made your way down a narrow hall and into a small cramped office at the end with a simple brass plaque that read simply: ‘Mother Carrol; Administrator’.

Mother Carol sat down behind a desk covered in a pile of paperwork and files, while old steel cabinets lining the room also overflowed with the stuff.

“Looks like you could use more storage space,” you mentioned nonchalantly.

“You don’t know the half of it,” Mother Carrol replied, motioning for you and Arnold to take seats in front of the desk.

As you and Arnold sat down, the old nun continued; “First of all, I want to thank you for bringing in little Sonny Kingsly this afternoon. I simply don’t know what changed in his father recently. Mrs. Kingsly says he stopped sleeping and became more and more abusive. When she threatened to leave with their son, Mr. Kingsly became violent and forced her out of the house. That’s when she came to us (the church), and social services. I think it’s wonderful of you to have helped return Sonny to his mother.”

“Oh, our pleasure,” Arnold replied politely.

You didn’t feel like going over the same ground again and simply asked – “And the orphans, here, now? That is why we are here; what of them?”

“Oh yes, of course,” Mother Carol replied, pausing a moment as though not sure how to get out what she had to say. After taking a long sip of coffee, she began to explain.

“As I mentioned this afternoon, I believe something is happening that’s affecting the children of this town – or at least the quality of their lives. I can’t sit by and watch as my orphanage fills to bursting. You see – the past year there has been an unusually large number of new orphans. Parents getting killed; some disappearing; some children simply being abandoned on our door.”

“A typical year in Ansonia brings less than a dozen unfortunates to our humble orphanage. This year however, we’ve been literally swamped with children – more than fifty!”

“Fifty orphans in one year?!?” Arnold exclaimed in shock.

“Yes,” Mother Carrol went on, “and another odd thing is that the majority of these children are toddlers of about three years of age. Most of them exhibit social disorders, autism, or violent tendencies, no doubt due to the trauma they’ve suffered losing their families. It’s all so very disturbing.”

“Like Sonny Kingsly?” you asked; “He’s right in that age range and seemed to have a distinct animosity towards dogs. A violent animosity, if his father is to believed.”

“I’m afraid so.”

“But is that it?” you asked; “You want us to investigate why they are behaving badly? Didn’t you just answer your own question? Wouldn’t that simply be the trauma of their loss, and in Sonny’s case, the separation of his parents?”

“No not just that,” Mother Carrol responded; “Don’t you see? It is unheard of for there to be this many orphans in one year. And the fact that almost all of them are toddlers – impossible! Something is going on – something terrible!”

“Ok, I see why you couldn’t take this to the police,” you groaned flatly. “I’m going to need a little more than this (amazing coincidence aside).”

“Please, I beg you to…” Mother Carrol began, but you rolled your hand to encourage her to just get on with it.

“Uh, well,” Mother Carrol said, clearly trying to think of anything more she could add. “Oh yes, I recall now that quite a few of these orphans (most of them in fact) are from wealthy families. That’s something right? The wealthy almost never give their children up for adoption (willingly at least).”

You thought about that for a moment. “Yes, that is unusual. Maybe there is something to this after all. Do you mind if we have a look at your records? I’d like to get a better understanding of everything in play. See if I can find something more that ties all of this together.”

“Certainly,” Mother Carol replied, panning her hand over the copious piles of paperwork cluttering the office and desk. “These are all the files from the last year, since the drastic influx of orphans. There has been so many that our filing system couldn’t keep up.”

You turned to Arnold; “Well Arnold, any idea where to start in all this mess?”

“No not at all,” he replied, standing. “I’ll put on a fresh pot of coffee though; this might take a while.”

---

(Continued in Next Post)

11 days ago
After three hours of tediously pouring through the files, you had managed to root the following information out of the records:

In the last year there had been fifty three new orphans brought into the orphanage, most involving children near three years of age.

Eight of those cases would be considered Normal; being illegitimate births from poor girls.

Twenty two cases involved Abandonment – where five couldn’t deal with the child, two wanted a better life for the child, eight were of parents who had suffered mental breakdowns, and seven children who were simply left on the doorstep.

Twelve were labeled Life Disruption cases, by divorce or domestic violence, where the children were pulled out of the home by social services.

Seven were Disappearance cases, where both parents had disappeared.

And four were Parents Killed, where both parents had been killed.

Looking at everything as a whole however, a disturbing trend started to emerge – more than two thirds of the cases involved children born at the Martin Steward Maternity Hospital.

The very hospital where your Sister Laura was due to give birth any day now…

---

A. Rush over to the hospital tonight! You got to warn Laura that something bad is going on there!
B. Head over in the morning, just to check things out.
C. Better gather a little more info first. These wouldn’t be the only records of this in town.

11 days ago

A family over everything else, It would be wise to gather info but there if there is a trend occuring that has to do with abandonments happining at the same hospital your sister is given birth. Thats a little more than just a coincidence. You need to check this out immediatly and warn your sister so nothing bad happens to her.

11 days ago

A. 

Laura ain't giving birth to the Anti-Christ on my watch!

11 days ago
A. Nothing like climactically rushing to prevent a horrific event!

11 days ago

A! Nothing else is really that urgent.

8 days ago
I'm going to cast a futile vote for C, we're going to sound really freakin crazy without more evidence.

8 days ago
The lone voice of reason slowly bleeding out in a cold dark alley surrounded by a pack of bloodthirsty hyenas haha! ;)

(^sort of like the commas in this sentence)

(working on update now)

8 days ago
It's not our fault, we just like running into situations blind with barely any proof to back up our suspicions.

8 days ago
^v^

8 days ago
Trying to halt the bandwagon just gets you run over, it turns out.

6 days ago
Oh hey, I completely forgot to vote on this! C.
No, not because Mizal chose it. :) We do have pretty much the same reasoning, though. A "Rush over there immediately or someone will die!" thing seems a bit too cliche for BZ. We are the skeptic, we need information. By panicking before we get it, we could miss something crucial, so our arrival at the hospital might be pointless as we wouldn't be able to stop ... whatever this is. Humans are very good at spotting patterns when looking for them, even if they're not true; we could've missed the real one.

6 days ago
Maya. We already moved on.

6 days ago
Damn. Apologies, I'm dumb and missed BZ's post. Thank you, Chris!
Good thing I'm blind, eh? At least I can say I didn't see it! :)

8 days ago
<A. Rush over to the hospital tonight! You got to warn Laura that something bad is going on there!>

---

“My sister is having a baby at that hospital!” you exclaimed in alarm, jumping up from the desk.

“I’m sorry what?” Arnold asked.

“My sister Laura is there – now – and due any time! We need to get over there right away and make her leave with us! Or… at least warn her of the danger!”

Arnold paused with a concerned look on his face. You could tell it was for you, more than your sister Laura.

“I understand we don’t really have much to convince her with,” you explained, “but she’s my sister, she’ll listen to me.”

“We don’t really even know what’s going on here,” Arnold replied, and then slowly nodded in agreement; “But okay, we can try.”

“Thank you!”

Hurrying out of the orphanage, you stopped abruptly at the top of the stairs.

“Ah nerts!”

“What is it?” Arnold asked as he came up behind you.

Officers Cray and Smith were sitting in their squad-car with their lights on, as Cole Green (the local tow-truck driver), was fixing to chain your ride to his lowered tow-boom!

---

A. March right down there and demand to know what is going on!
B. Ignore them and have Arnold drive you to your sister’s hospital in his car.
C. Try to talk with Cole, he owes you a favor, for not ratting out his moonshine delivery side-job.
D. Threaten Officers Cray and Smith with retribution from your father, if they don’t leave your car and take a hike.

8 days ago
B. Whatever gets us there fastest, we can deal with the car later. We gotta GO GO GO GO GO!

8 days ago

B no time to waste!!

8 days ago

Ok, I see why you couldn’t take this to the police,” you groaned flatly. “I’m going to need a little more than this (amazing coincidence aside).”

Just a little reminder of the person we were so recently, even as it's clear we're going to collectively choose B and rush to the hospital on a single minded mission.

Obviously, I can’t go to the police with nothing but “a bad feeling about it”, so we need someone to investigate a little further first.”

...tfw a nun is more rational than a private eye.

8 days ago
... Okay fine, fine, fine. I'm switching to C. I'll gladly be the one man futilely trying to stop this bandwagon.

8 days ago
I mean we're headed to the same place for the same reason either way so might as well get there fast. It's too late for not making a big hysterical femoid spectacle of ourselves, might as well just roll with it.

Although I don't doubt Berka might have something up his sleeve, this doesn't feel like the same level of high impact choice of most of the others.

Also after rereading, I'm not sure the tow truck driver just deciding not to tow would go down well with the police.

8 days ago
Alright alright, I'll stick with B.

6 days ago

C. I like favors!

6 days ago

C

6 days ago
Ok, time to vote again, at the correct post this time! Once again, I'm sorry for my stupidity.
C seems like the most likely one to work. If these two policemen are taking our car but not Arnold's, it's likely they already know damn well whose car it is. The trucker's more likely to just be doing the job he was hired for, not aware if it's against the law or not.

5 days ago
I just assumed the car was parked badly. Although I'd not be surprised if there's some conspiracy, if the police call in a tow truck guy then just going in and trying to override them on that while they're sitting right there probably isn't going to work.

I'd have gone for talking to the police if there had been an option besides threatening them.

5 days ago
Looks like C wins this round. Updating shortly...

5 days ago
<C. Try to talk with Cole, he owes you a favor, for not ratting out his moonshine delivery side-job.>

---

“Cole!” you called, hurrying down the steps; “What the heck!?”

Cole looked up from under the front of your car and stood, once he recognized who you were. “Oh hey Lucky,” he replied, looking at you and then turning his head to the two policemen in their car and giving them upturned palms (as if to say ‘what now?’).

“The boys *ahem* requested I tow your car to the shop, because it can’t stay here overnight. Didn’t think you were around.”

‘How late is it?’ you wondered to yourself, looking at your watch. Ten Thirty Two.

“Look, I’m here now,” you said, “So I can move it myself and you don’t need to tow it. Right? …”

“Uh, yeah, I guess not.”

Cole then started pulling the chains out from under your car.

Officer Cray got out of the squad-car and walked up to you with a smug look on his face. Handing you a slip of paper he said, “Afraid I still got to ticket you for parking here after ten pm.”

You took the citation and looked at it. “Fifty cents?” you scoffed, “that’s twice the regular fine and you know it.”

“Mayor just approved the increase,” Officer Cray replied. He then turned to Arnold (who was finally down the stairs and walking toward you). “You’re gona have to move the car Mr. Penshaw,” he directed.

“Right away officer,” Arnold called back with a wave.

“Good night folks,” Officer Cray finished and turned to return to the squad-car.

You knew they were just doing this to be assholes or they’d have fined Arnold too. You had bigger issues to deal with right now however, so you shelved the idea of tearing the ticket up and tossing it that smug bastard’s face, and headed to your vehicle.

“So, what? Should I follow you in my car then?” Arnold asked, as officer Cray and Smith turned off the police lights and pulled back onto the road.

You were just about to reply, when the two officers stopped the squad-car alongside you. Officer Smith rolled his window down.

“Whatever that crazy nun told you, ain’t worth losing your pretty little head over. We like ya Luci. We really do. We’d hate to see something bad happen to you.”

You knew a threat when you heard one. What did these two goons know?

---

A. Tell them the name’s “Lucky” and that you can take care of yourself.
B. Ask them what they know about Mother Carol’s story.
C. Wait for them leave, but then follow them in your car.
D. Wait for them leave, but then follow them in Arnold’s car.
E. Wait for them leave, but then follow them in Cole’s tow-truck (he owes you).
F. Ignore them altogether and head over to Laura’s hospital.

4 days ago
Okay now this is interesting.

I'm just gonna pick A because I like the sass and implied hair flip, plus it doesn't restrict any of our other options.

This more than anything else implies something really is going on, but there's no way trying to inconspicuously follow police officers in either of our already known cars, or a flipping tow truck is going to work.

4 days ago
Option A, same as Mizal's reasoning.

3 days ago

F

3 days ago

A, because it's the most badass

2 days ago
<A. Tell them the name’s “Lucky” and that you can take care of yourself.>

---

“Name’s ‘Lucky’ and I can take care of myself boys;” you stated with a defiant flip of your hair.

Your implied sass seemed to strike a nerve.

“Best you not go ‘round poking your nose into matters that don’t concern you!” officer Smith retorted in annoyance.

“I’m a Private Eye,” you retorted back; “It’s literally what I get paid for.”

“What you… ‘get paid for’…” officer Smith quoted back with a thoughtful pause. “Huh… how much could the orphanage be paying you? They hardly got enough to keep all them brats clothed and fed.”

“Yeah,” officer Cray chimed in from the driver’s side of the vehicle, “what’s an orphanage need with a Private Eye anyway? This something we need to know about?”

---

A. “For your information, Mother Carrol is not paying me a cent; She was just concerned about the boy we picked up today is all.”
B. “For your information, Mother Carrol is not paying me a cent; But she asked me to look into some odd happenings, possibly affecting some of the children in this town.”
C. “What I get paid is none of your business. Mother Carrol was just concerned about the boy we picked up today is all.”
D. “What I get paid is none of your business. But Mother Carrol did ask me to look into some odd happenings, possibly affecting some of the children in this town.”

2 days ago
Gonna go with Option A. We don't need to let them know what we're looking into.

2 days ago

D. As much SECRECY as possible. Can't put our cards on the table!

20 hours ago
Wouldn't C reveal the least bit of information?

yesterday

A

19 hours ago
A is the most plausible sounding.

16 hours ago
<A. “For your information, Mother Carrol is not paying me a cent; She was just concerned about the boy we picked up today is all.”>

---

“For your information, Mother Carrol is not paying me a cent,” you informed the two officers; “She was just concerned about the boy we picked up today is all.”

“Kingsly’s kid eh?” officer Smith asked.

“The same; No thanks to you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I had to get dragged into it, because the department was too afraid to step on some uppity up’s toes.”

“Yeah, well babysittin’ ain’t exactly our thing doll. But I’m sure you did a fine job, harhar!”

You held your tongue, sensing this would be the end of the conversation, while opening your mouth would just fuel more of their chauvinistic crap.

“We’ll see you around,” Officer Cray broke in, as Officer Smith just grinned arrogantly. The squad-car then pulled away and headed up the road.

A single drop of rain splashed the side of your face. Looking up, you could see the night sky, overcast, dark, and brooding. An impressive storm was on the horizon, flashes of lightning illuminating the distant cloudbank. You couldn’t yet hear the thunder, so it was still a ways off – maybe an hour or so at best.

“What’s that all about?” Cole asked, having stowed his chains and gear back in the tow-truck. “Something weird is going on, right? Maybe now you’ll all start taking me serious about my abduction.”

That’s right; Cole had been nearly laughed out of town about a year ago, when he claimed to have been abducted by aliens. Everyone simply dismissed his account as a bad batch of shine.”

“So you’re the UFO guy?” Arnold stepped up to ask.

“And you’re the crazy magician that went bonkers and got tossed in the booby hatch,” Cole shot back defensively.

“No, you misunderstand,” Arnold explained, “I’m not discounting you at all, I’ve… I’ve seen some… unusual things in my day, and am wondering if what you experienced could be related to what we’re currently investigating. You see, I find it most coincidental that your abduction and my – shall we say, miraculous return to sanity, seem to have occurred on the same night.”

Cole’s face showed a mix of shock and relief at perhaps being believed for the first time since his encounter.

“Hold up, Arnold,” you said; “I’m not sure we want to bring too many into this before we have a better idea of what’s going on.”

“I was just thinking,” Arnold explained, “that given the situation with the youngins, and their connection to a certain hospital… Well, that has to mean this has been going on for more than just recently. What if everything is connected somehow?”

---

A. Maybe Arnold is right. Ask Cole to recount his experience to you; then decide.
B. No. You and Arnold are better off handling this yourselves.
C. You don’t have time for any of this (your sister is still in danger). Just tell Cole to follow you and Arnold to your sister’s hospital.
D. You don’t have time for any of this (officer Cray and Smith are getting away and you still want to follow them).

16 hours ago
A

Still don't really have much idea at all what's going on here. Anyway, even if he's crazy he might be willing to help us if we humor him.

Possibly we could learn a little more about Arnold this way too.

14 hours ago

A

13 hours ago

A