Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

He passed away an hour ago, after commiting suicide via asphyxiation. He was sixty three. 

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

*News broke out an hour after his death.

But yeah, he made up a large chunk of my childhood.  Unlike a lot of other celebs, he was putting his money to good use to people who needed it.  Kinda liked him for that.  I will miss him.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Things will be different nowadays. Not for the better, unfortunately. 

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

I have been nearly speechless all day...True master of his craft. 

nate

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago
I have no idea who that is.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Then don't post. You just come across insensitive. 

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago
I was implying someone give me an explanation as to who he was.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

http://tinyurl.com/q69a83c

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

How was that insensitive?

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

this pains me more than can be imagined.

nate

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Further proof the new generation has doomed us all.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

XD

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Yeah... something deeply wrong with that statement, @Ford

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

It's not our fault the last one was the precursor to today's idiocrasy.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Passing blame onto others.

Typical new generation attitude :D

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

The only thing I can thank last generation for : weed.  Thank you hippies for turning would-be competitors into idiots!

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago
I'm no "new generation" brat (at least, I don't think I am) - I've never paid any attention to any celebrity under any context or circumstance.

I'll give Mr. Williams the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure he was a fine intelligent man - but if he committed suicide, as people say, then he obviously was not happy with his life - and therefore had every right to end it or make it better. I don't have sympathy for people who choose an illogical choice of action that makes a significant change to their life. Even if he had hit rock bottom, the only way from the bottom is up - he had every chance to make his life as wonderful as he could yet he didn't - he chose to simply end it. That's the end of Mr. Williams, and until I have hard facts and a situation to base my opinions - this is my current, very flexible, rational.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

not very rational actually. Have you even heard of Depression? its a real disease, not a choice we make. 

nate

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago
I'm well familiar with depression, and it seems he had plenty of chances to ask for help.

"If you don't ask for help, then no one is going to help you." | apparently no one even knew he was depressed except his manager. I find it highly inaccurate to trust his manager, knowing that a majority of the population would say that for publicity and to suck money out of your client's death. Not everyone is a glittering rainbow on a stormy day.

Either way, my position is absolute: I will not make any concrete opinions until I have the full factual report. At this point, all I can do is assume - and under no circumstance are my words to be taken as my absolute choice of opinion.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

What about reading his Wikipedia page lol.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

got it, your opinion of 'someone is dead? who gives a fuck?' is not absolute...

nate

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Ford are you insensitive, or just put on a rude fasad? People kill themselves, and your cold, "logical' reasoning doesn't help. You just pour salt in the wound.

Does anyone GIVE TWO SHITS about your sympathy for someone who hit rock bottom? No.

Does it HELP at all? No,

Is it even an INTELLIGENT thing to say? Under no circumstances.

You prattle on and on, about how you only value intelligence, yet you release such an ignorant statement. I honestly thought better of you, @Ford. 

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago
To my knowledge, which is near to none, I have made my opinion unclear due to the lack of factual sources.

Cry when you have something to cry about, right now I'm not going to whine about someone I didn't know passing away.

I didn't know who he was, as far as I know - he was a random celebrity that supposedly committed suicide; until I have the facts then I shan't give a damn about being insensitive until I know everything there is to know relative to the subject.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Ford logic: Someone died, I wont care unless I know more...

terrible. no wonder old people think the younger generations are rude. 

nate

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Look, a few houndred thousand people die each day, nobody has the time to care about all of them.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

What? How can you possibly not know who Robin Williams is? ... He was the genie crying

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

That's right... heh. I freaking loved Aladdin as a kid. (Hell, I still have a soft spot for it. Kingdom Hearts keeps the memories alive. xD)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Very unfortunate. Really hope it ends up he didn't commit suicide, just a really sorry end for a guy with his talents and success.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Not that im a big timer or anything, but I have been doing comedy now for almost 4 years. I have come across so many depressed comedians over that short time. its such a paradox. the old adage 'pain breeds comedy' is true sometimes. I hate to hear this, but part of me isnt surprised. depression is real and serious. 

nate

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Very sad. :/

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Even after his dead, decomposing body is long gone, his works and movies will live on for a long time, and he will forever be remembered. Have a safe trip, Robin Williams.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! crying

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Yes.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Well now I'm convinced... First Bob Hoskins and now Robin Williams... Somebody is killing off the cast of Hook!
(Let me know if anything happens to Julia Roberts.)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Bob Hoskins died? Didn't hear about that one.

As for Robin, I actually thought his stand up routines were better than his comedic movie roles. With movies I thought he was usually better in a serious role.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

I did love him in Good Will Hunting ^_^

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Don't forget about Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King, and Jakob the Liar.  Personal guilty favorites are Mork & Mindy and Jumanji!  ...just sayin'...  :)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Jumanji was... enjoyable, but... eh. xD Yes, I liked Dead Poets Society. Heck, I even liked License to Wed. >.>'

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

That's one I hadn't even heard of...I'm going to have to do a serious rethink about my TV watching...  :)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

... Wow, really? I am surprised to see someone else agree with me on that, everyone else I've heard from said he sucked at serious roles. I don't suppose you saw him in that one CSI episode? It was interesting seeing him as a grief-crazed, maniac "puppet master" of sorts.

I confess, I actually enjoyed Mrs. Doubtfire and Patch Adams quite a bit.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Whow DIDN'T enjoy Mrs. Doubtfire? It was great! No need for confession. 

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Who didn't?  I'll fight you right now!  XD

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

It was great. xD My mom was just a bit disturbed at the fact that one of my favorite movies as a kid involved a cross-dressing middle aged man. So damn funny...

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Oh wow, I suppose they aren't gonna get around to make that sequel then :-/

I thought Mrs. Doubtfire was a decent movie. My mother really liked it though.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Yeah, I saw the episode you're talking about, it was Law & Order SVU, not CSI though.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Oh. Right. My bad. Somehow I managed to remember it was 'Olivia' and 'Elliot' but I actually forgot which show. xD (Which proves I'm not as obsessed as some fans, perhaps? Or just that I haven't had enough sleep, I dunno. Been a while since I've regularly watched any crime dramas, honestly. My fiance hates them. xD)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Law and Order also has a way of getting the most out of it's special guest stars.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

I've noticed that. It's actually kind of impressive.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Or Dustin Hoffman. . .

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

What? Dustin Hoffman isn't dead. o.o

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

No, Briar said everyone from Hook was dying lately.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Oh. Sorry, misunderstood. Well, he better not die, one, because he's a great actor in general, and two because I... xD like the Kung-fu Panda movies and he's one of the VAs. ^^'

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

A lot of great actors have passed on recently. James Gandolfini, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and now Robin Williams. It's realy sad. 

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

It is. I hope it's at least some comfort to the families to know that they were well-loved.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

I hope so as well. 

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

He's gonna die eventually, he's like almost 80 years old.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

xD Shhh, he could have another decade or two.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Wellllll....

Shit.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Rest in Peace, Robin. A good man and a good comedian. He will most definitely be missed.

(In memory of the laughter he spread in life, I'm tempted to go re-watch some of my favorite bits of his--like his episode on Whose Line is it Anyway, but I'm almost worried it'd depress me right now instead of making me laugh. =\)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Just a quick search revealed that I haven't watched nearly enough of his work.  There are at least a dozen things I haven't seen...  :(

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

He was one of the greats. It's just sad to see that his death is going to be plastered all over the news for the next four weeks and the tabloids for two years. Granted, I don't read tabloids, but I don't want to see rumors about somebody who died three years ago when I go to check out.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Ehh, rumors like that piss me off in general. Not even for the sake of the celebrities, it's just... really? Out of all the things people could throw their time and energy into, that crap?

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Yeah, like, it's been 20 years after Kurt Cobain's death and people are still talking about it (well, people I know)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Rip in peace, Mr. Williams.... you will be missed....

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Will miss him in the movies.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Oof. Wow.

Apparently he hung himself with a belt in his bedroom. Normally I'd make a joke about it being like a rope, but damn. That's a really unfortunate ending. :-/

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Yeah, I noted the parallel with the running gag on the site here not too long ago, but real life sort of ruins it...

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Oh sorry. Never heard of him at all but am sorry for the lost of life. Wasn't he that annoying guy on family guy that peter had to cut off his hands to stop creating...man i hated that.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Rest in pieces mr Williams

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Yes, anyone he touched turned into Robin Williams. They made fun of him mercilessly in that episode, but it was frickin' hilarious.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Hook was the first movie I ever watched that I remembered. May you find peace and laughter in the next life as you inspired so many here, goodbye.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Now that I'm thinking about it, there was a comedy movie that I really liked him in and that was Death to Smoochy, but then again that was more of a darker comedy.

Really liked his acting in One Hour Photo as well.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Death to Smoochy was the balls.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

It sucks to know that a man who loved to make people laugh and smile suffered from severe depression. Rest in peace.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

I doubt that it was confirmed it was suicide. But it was confirmed that it was from asphyxiation. It's very unfortunate. That guy had a huge bond with his audience. 

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Apparently it was; he hanged himself with a belt according to the coroner.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

(http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_26322637)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

When people are arrogant about depression it pisses me off to no end. I have it and been fighting with it since 7th grade. So don't tell me its a fucking choice. I have spent the last hour trying to describe how depression feels in words and I can't do it. So I found a video that says it for me. 

?http://youtu.be/HUHcc7ipGt0

I will miss Robin Williams acting and I hope he gets to see that concert he described in an interview. He may have just grown to tired of the fight and I know how that feels. Just moving 3 feet can seem a challenge some days. 

Captain My Captain I will always stand for you.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

Not sure who this is directed at, but I'm definitely not arguing with you. I've been fighting with it most of my life, too. No, it's not a choice, and a lot of people don't realize that there is a huge difference between "feeling depressed" and "having depression." One is a temporary mood that seems easy to shake off and usually is. One is a genuine medical condition that, unless you've had it yourself, is hard to fully understand.

It's a paralytic. It can hinder every aspect of your life. It can make you feel trapped inside your life, your job, your own body... (not really telling you this, so much as just stating it, since you said you had trouble describing it yourself. This is about the best I can do.)

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

He should have taken a break from acting and comedy. Hawaii, maybe?

R.I.P. Robin Williams

9 years ago

The video I said to go to really does a good job at explaining it.