Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

New Featured Games

8 years ago

@Sethaniel Well, I didn't want to necro the last one of these threads... but hey, I'd like to suggest featuring The Other World by Kiel. As part of the featuring, I'm supposed to suggest one for it to replace. I humbly suggest Necromancer. Now I don't have anything again Necromancer, but EndMaster does have another featured story in that category, and Necromancer has been there since, wow, 2007?

Draw Sethaniel's Attention Thead

8 years ago

I think I briefly mentioned in one of Kiel's threads that either Innkeeper or Death Song should probably be replaced.

At first glance I'd go with Innkeeper, but Kiel's story actually reminds me of Death Song, so it probably would be better to cut that one instead. It's technically an "interquel" anyway.

8 years ago

Hi Ogre. Primarily, I handle featuring and this should be in the parlor room so I'll move it there.

Also, there's no way that Necromancer is going to be unfeatured.

Community, I'm thinking Innkeeper or Death Song, but I'd also consider OMS. What are your thoughts?

OMS is probably the most poorly written of the three, but it's been really well-received and it's probably the most "epic" of the lot.

Innkeeper probably has been the least well received, and is less "epic" than the other two, but I think it brings something unique to the category in that it fills the niche for low-fantasy that the other two don't fill as well.

Death Song doesn't really add anything to the featured story list that Necromancer doesn't already cover, but it's debatably the best of the three stories.

The other option is not to feature The Other World, but I haven't read it yet, and community consensus seems to be that it's feature worthy. Also, it's insanely long and a lot of work went into it.

8 years ago

I'm leaning toward Death Song, personally. The logic there for me is that if we're removing the overall worst story featured, I think it's probably got to be Dungeon Stompage, but I think Dungeon Stompage brings a unique game aspect to the featured story list, so I'm not even considering unfeaturing it. Therefore, it's not JUST the quality of the game that matters, and also the uniqueness that it brings the category featured list. I think Death Song brings very little that's unique (End's writing style, the necromancer universe, and the high fantasy scene are all covered in other featured stories) and so even though it's a high quality story, I think it's the choice I'm leaning towards.

I'm not settled on this though, so I'd really appreciate other voices.

8 years ago

Leaning towards death song also.

for many people, the featured stories are the first ones they read, so I think it's good to have range/variety. 

8 years ago
Honestly, I had a hard time myself selecting between Necromancer and Death Song. I finally ended up flipping a coin because I liked both of them a lot. But it sounds like many here like Necromancer more than Death Song, so I could easily support replacing Death Song instead of Necromancer.

8 years ago

My thoughts are OMS. In my opinion, it doesn't really hold up against the EndMasterpieces; except for maybe Innkeeper. 

8 years ago
I'm not a fan of OMS, but I think it should stay because there's really no other story like it in the category right now.

8 years ago

While I appreciate the post, I'd personally protest Necromancer being taken down. Partially because it's almost everyone's "go-to first" story on here, partially because there's a good reason it's as popular as it is, and partially because End's fans might come murder me in my sleep over it.

8 years ago

Guys, what about Dungeon Stompage? Haven't fully played Kiel's game, but it's got great mechanics and a story to boot, even if it's hard to finish (for one reason or another.) 

Edit: Saw 3J's post but still think it's worth considering since it fills the niche. Dunno. That's the only one I'd personally consider Other World over, from what I've read.

8 years ago
Kiel is supposed to be taking it down soon anyway, so this is a conversation we should be having in another month or so.

It's a good story from what I've read, but I'd like to actually finish it before voting that it should be featured. I stopped because the world hates me, so by extension his game did, but once he does his fixes I'll likely try again.

Would agree with End that Death Song is probably the best story to remove due to the overlaps (not saying it should be replaced by The Other World right now though).

8 years ago

Kiel republished it up today haha. Have to replay it at some point and see if I can get further.

8 years ago

Well then, it appears I have some reading to do.

8 years ago

Just don't play it on an iPad, according to Sonic.

8 years ago
Dungeon Stompage! is what first attracted me to the site, then Necromancer convinced me to join.  I guess Death Song is the one that I'd choose to be Previously Featured for the reasons stated by others.

For all of you who haven't finished The Other World, I can tell you that it is well worth the time and effort.  I spent a few weeks trying to find every possible page/combination proofreading/play-testing.  I was as engrossed in the story at the end as I was at anytime during.  For whatever it's worth...

8 years ago

I think it should be featured, buuuuut I don't think I should get a say in which one it replaces since I haven't read any of the others except for Dungeon Stumpage and OMS. I haven't read any of the game that are possibilities to be replaced.

8 years ago

It's a tough call because they're all great stories but Fantasy is a popular genre for good writers... I think it's between OMS, Innkeeper and Necromancer, I think Innkeeper is a bit more unique than the other two and personally I think TOW might be best replacing Necromancer as EndMaster has stronger stories featured in the Fantasy Section anyway :)

8 years ago

Necromancer isn't going anywhere. I think it's one of the marquee storygames on the site and I really can't imagine unfeaturing it until at least 3-4 other stories are replaced first in that category.

8 years ago

I completely agree that Necromancer is one of the all time top stories on the site. No way it should be unfeatured.

Draw 3J's Attention Thread

8 years ago

I personally don't think it matters too much that EndMaster has multiple featured storygames in one category, so long as they meet required standards for featuring (which they do and then some).

That said, I'd personally pick Death Song to be replaced. It's a great game but I feel like the secondary path just doesn't quite reach the same greatness as the 'true' path. All the other storygames in the category have universally exceptionally great paths. I feel like I'm clutching at straws here, but that's all that's left to clutch when there's already such a solid lineup for featured fantasy storygames.

If I had to pick a different one I would probably get rid of OMS, for no other reason than the dreaded infamous maze. I would be adamantly against DS, Eternal or Necromancer going, although Innkeeper wouldn't be the end of the world.

8 years ago

I'm leaning towards unfeaturing Innkeeper, because it has the lowest score among the games we're discussing (6/8 while the others are 7/8), but I'll be fine with the admins unfeaturing any of the games so long as it means TOW gets featured.

8 years ago

The problem with removing innkeeper is that it's not a story about saving the world. It's not a story about being an evil villain, and it's not a story about being in a destroyed world (post apocalypticly styled). As in, it's probably the most unique game in the fantasy section, being that it's a fantasy world, but it's about a goddamn inn. And I think people tend to forget that those sorts of stories are possible, and that not every story has to be about world shaking ramifications. It can just be the story of a simple person dealing with simple problems. And removing that hurts this site, imo, greatly. It's also my issue with removing Death Song. It's not the typical fantasy story, and it brings something unique to the table. But if something has to be removed, I'd say it'd be Death Song, no matter how sad I'd feel about it. 

8 years ago
True as true can be, as always. ;)

Innkeeper is my favorite, of Endmaster's work here.

8 years ago

I agree. Deathsong is a spectacular story, but it is quite similar to the Other World

8 years ago

So... ignoring votes for Necromancer, it looks like 8 people think it should replace Death Song (including its author), 2 people think it should replace OMS, 1 person suggested Dungeon Stompage and 1 person suggested Innkeeper.

@JJJ-thebanisher - Thoughts? I might be able to draw some more people over to vote / offer opinions if you'd like.

8 years ago

Death Song.

Congratulations, Kiel! That's the hardest category to get featured in, by far.

8 years ago

Thank you. And agreed. xD That's why I picked it for the contest, because I was afraid I'd never be able to do it outside of special circumstances.

Also, thank you, everyone, for your input on this. Next goal, school-based...! :D *resisting the urge to cackle madly*

8 years ago
Congratulations, sir Kiel.

8 years ago

Apparently not only did Kiel get his story featured but he also got knighted in the process.

8 years ago
Uh, it was just a joke ... a bad one, I know ...

8 years ago

I've got to say, Sir Farren sounds rather less bloodlusty than Sir Kiel. I'd probably go with Sir Farren, personally.

8 years ago
Yeah, that really does sound better. Seams I can't come up with anything that is good sounding.

8 years ago

Perhaps it does, but the character whose name I'm using is supposed to be blood-thirsty. xD

8 years ago

Rise, Ser Farristan Kielmy.

8 years ago
Kiernan?

I don't think he can hear you. D;

8 years ago

xD No. Just ... just no.

8 years ago
Heh, right. Sorry!

8 years ago

Lol, don't be.

8 years ago

Congrats, Kiel.
The bar for featuring a fantasy storygame rises ever higher.

8 years ago

Congrats Keil!  ^v^

8 years ago

Who is this 'Keil' guy some people are talking about? I thought we were congratulating Kiel here....

8 years ago

That's his German alter ego, Keil Fahren.

8 years ago

xD But "Kiel" is already a German word. (It's in a few languages.) Come to think of it, I'm already German, lol. Part, anyway.

8 years ago
Nein? Nice. ;)

8 years ago

Yeah, but my family tree is all sorts of awkward. You see, some of my ancestors were Polish and Jewish, some were German. I doubt I need to explain that. Quite a few were Catholic, so there's religious debates. I've got Irish, Scottish, and British blood in me. (William Wallace or the IRA, anyone?) I'm part French and part Italian (they've had a few wars,) and then there's my Cherokee ancestors... sooo ... yeah.

8 years ago

Got any Arab in there habibi?

Abu ul-Haqq Abdul Al-Aziz Farren Rahim-Hussein Muhammad Ahmed Al-Kiel Chicken-Tikka-Masala??

8 years ago

Beats me, brah. I've researched and talked to my mom, but it's entirely possible that my dad's side of the family knows more and I don't really talk to them.

8 years ago
Yep. Bit of a mutt, myself. >_<

8 years ago
Congrats, Kiel!

8 years ago
Great work, Kiel.  Congratulations!  :)

8 years ago

Congrats, Frank!

8 years ago

8 years ago

Check. Mate.

8 years ago

xD ... Dammit.

8 years ago
A winner is you~!

8 years ago
Congrats, mom!

8 years ago
<3

8 years ago

Congratulations :D TOW is an incredibly epic story :)

8 years ago
'Grats Kiel. Good luck naming your next one. ;)

8 years ago

xD "The Devil's Chess" or "The Magick Academy", depending on which I finish in time. 

8 years ago
Well, you've got my vote. *_*

8 years ago

The Devil's Chess sounds very intriguing :P I'm quite excited for when it comes out. Keep on writing Leik_Nerraf! 

8 years ago

=| I was hoping Quills would be back when I got to that one, but probably not... we were working on some small, but important details of it together and I wanted clarification on some of it.

8 years ago

Didn't he go off to do a webcomic of some sorts? I can't seem to find the link. Hopefully he'll come back to this little corner of the internet one day and finish up his story. It showed a lot of promise!

8 years ago
So... Is it Kiel's thread now? XD

Draw Kiel's Attention Thead

8 years ago

Yep.  XD