Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Top 5

8 years ago

There's an empty space in the Top 5 advanced on the home page.  Nominate a worthy contender. 

Top 5

8 years ago
Bastard! I was about to make this thread.

To start off, can we define what "Top 5 Advanced Storygames" means? Is it just supposed to be the best 5 storygames that use the advanced editor, or is the top 5 storygames that best use the advanced editor?

Top 5

8 years ago

I believe originally it was meant as Top 5 Storygames that emphasize the "game" aspect/ require effort beyond simply reading & clicking a link.

For example, Snow uses variables/the advanced editor, but it's impossible to get to a point where you're unable to continue.

The Top 5 Advanced don't need to be the 5 that best push the limits of scripting. 

The home page is supposed to be a showcase of what CYS has to offer.

Top 5

8 years ago
Yeah, thats more what i was leaning to too.

Why is proposal there though? So far as i recall, theres nothing advanced about how it plays out.

Top 5

8 years ago

Perhaps, Invigilate? It can be a bit of a headache to play, though.

Tower of Hanoi is also a possibility.

They're both impressive recreations of complex games in CYS style that use the advanced editor's scripting system in creative and impressive ways.

Top 5

8 years ago

Neither have a decent story. 

Top 5

8 years ago

What do you suggest?

I guess, "Mommy" might also be a plausible nominee, since it makes decent use of variables and items and has a palatable story. But, it's already received a bunch of accolades. We need new blood.

Top 5

8 years ago

Naw, Mommy used to be on it anyway, but Madglee took it down specifically for the reason of getting something new on there. 

Top 5

8 years ago

Oh, okay. Then, I guess Dead Man Walking is the next best thing.

Top 5

8 years ago

Dead Man Walking is awesome. I agree that it should be up there.

Top 5

8 years ago

I elect 'The Price of Freedom' for that, or if that doesn't count in parameters, I elect the first Homo Prefectus Storygame.

Homo Prefectus: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/homo-perfectus

The Price of Freedom: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-price-of-freedom~3a-innocence-lost

Top 5

8 years ago

I nominate The Wal*Mart Game for the top five.

Top 5

8 years ago

xD ... Damn, I was hoping people would forget about this until I finished Magick Academy.

Top 5

8 years ago

I nominate "Survive The Zombies" by Killa_Robot

Top 5

8 years ago

Dead Man Walking or My Vacation would be obvious choices I would think.

Top 5

8 years ago

Wack. Was certain DMW was already on it. But that is probably a good marker for what the site has to offer in complexity and paths, so I'd vote for that.

Top 5

8 years ago
Personally i was thinking my vacation and homo perfectus.

Dead man walking could work too though.

Top 5

8 years ago

Dead Man Walking comes to mind. Can't really think of anything else.

Top 5

8 years ago

Secret of Daphne?

Top 5

8 years ago
DMW, my Vacation, HP8, Wallmart... There are tons of options. But I think I'm probably tied between DMW and HP8.

Top 5

8 years ago

Forgot all about Homo Perfectus 8; if Dead Man Walking doesn't get picked, this is certainly worthy enough to fill the space.

Top 5

8 years ago
Yeah I was like reading through this wondering when someone would say HP8 and when no one did I was like whaaaaat? Lol. But yeah, HP8, from what I've played of it, seems to make use of everything in the advanced editer, is well written, and... well... yeah.

Top 5

8 years ago

I nominate Price of Freedom. DMW and such have more extensive coding, but I think that Price of Freedom would bring a different, more historically plausible, category to the top 5 advanced stories, as three of the five are fantasy. And I'm a sucker for historical stories...

Top 5

8 years ago
That has nothing to do with the editor though...

I feel like some people are missing the point of the category.

Top 5

8 years ago

Yeah, I almost feel price of freedom should be on the new users side.

Top 5

8 years ago

I agree.

Perhaps we should remove Necromancer and place PoF on the list. Having 3 entries from the same guy, even if he is one of the best writers on the site, severely understates the number of other good writers on the site. Edit: I also think that it may be worth considering putting one of Will's games on the list (Hunting the Ripper, maybe?).

(I say that Necromancer should be removed because it is in the same category as Eternal, which is far longer and more expansive. Ground Zero's setting adds a little diversity to the list and the story itself branches out considerably more than Necromancer)

Top 5

8 years ago

That is true, Endmaster is amazing but others have to shine...So Briar Rose should be allowed that moment.

Hopefully it will allow the second part to come to being!

Top 5

8 years ago
The entire storygame for new user category is weird to begin with. It's effectively "these are the best stories without the bells and whistles". So really you're just looking for expansiveness and good writing.

POF falls pretty flat for the first part, as it's not overly long, and the path is mostly linear. Not to mention all the +X to stats that are mentioned kind of undermines the whole "without the bells and whistles" part.

It's neither here nor there are far as being a candidate for either category tbh.

Top 5

8 years ago

Was the Wal*mart game there before? If so, why was it taken off. If not, I nominate it.

Top 5

8 years ago

Personally, I'd be in favor of taking down the Proposal as it does not showcase the Advanced Editor as it should. And The Other World would be an awesome addition.

Top 5

8 years ago

Secret of Daphne or My Vacation, imo. Both have great scripting, my vacation is better on the scripting part, but Daphne is a better storygame. 

Top 5

8 years ago
How about Avery M (in the Mystery category)? It is presented in a comic book style which is quite awesome.

Top 5

8 years ago

WARRIOR CAAAATZZZZZ!!!1! LOLOLOLOLOL AMIRITE

Homo Perfectus 8? Dead Man Walking? Kill Aman's Mustache? Hell, Undead Persona? I honestly don't know on this one.

Top 5

8 years ago

MyVacation.

Top 5

8 years ago

Wow, this is a bit of a tough one. I'd say My Vacation, since it has a lot of strong gameplay aspects and really could show a person using the editor just how much you can do with it. I really feel like it kinda brings in the full scope of it, even if it does lack in story. 

Top 5

8 years ago

MyVacation

Top 5

8 years ago
I think proposal should be removed. It doesn't really show off the adv editer that well. As I recall, all it uses is items. Then, you could put DMW up there and one other. I think top choices would be My Vacation, Wallmart, or HP8. They all show off the advanced editer and its capabilities quite well IMO. I think you could take off Necromancer and put POF on the basic games list like some others suggested. That way, the list isn't almost totally dominated by Endmaster. :p

Top 5

8 years ago

MyVacation would be a perfect candidate for the home page. Definitely more game than story, yet it had a decent story and was fun while it lasted. I wouldn't pick DMW as a candidate though personally speaking. 

Top 5

8 years ago

Personally I'd vote for MyVacation too, it has a sort of free world feel but a story line to tie it all together :)

Top 5

8 years ago
A bit spoiled for choice really, but I think 'The Other World' deserves the position. It won a recent Storygame Award after all and is even better now that it's finished.

Top 5

8 years ago

The Other World should win this one, I agree.

Top 5

8 years ago

I'd vote for Secret of Daphne~

Top 5

8 years ago

Hmm...I haven't read SoD yet. I should probably do that.

Top 5

8 years ago
I'm in with the My Vacation game. It was one of the first I found on this site and I really enjoyed it.

Top 5

8 years ago

The first one I played is Dungeon Stompage (which is probably my favorite game on the site), but it's already up there. As long as it isn't taken down, I'm happy.

Top 5

8 years ago
I'm pretty sure the chance of DS being taken down is like 1%, so you probably don't have to worry.

Top 5

8 years ago

the Walmart game is probably my favorite on the site

Top 5

8 years ago
Totals so far (for stories receiving more than one vote):

My Vacation: 11
Dead Man Walking: 6
The Wal*Mart Game: 5
Homo Perfectus 8: 5
Secret of Daphne: 3
The Other World: 3
Dead Man Walking: 2
Price of Freedom: 2
Homo Perfectus: 2

And negative points for suggesting removal:
Necromancer: -2
The Proposal: -3

Heck, for funzies, Necromancer and The Proposal could be removed and then My Vacation, Dead Man Walking, and The Wal*Mart Game could be added…

Top 5

8 years ago

Necromancer isn't in advanced, it's in new users. 

Top 5

8 years ago

Dead Man Walking is listed twice, with 6 votes and 2 votes...

Top 5

8 years ago

Okay, as of now: MyVacation, with almost double the votes of any other nominee, has been added to the blank space on the home page.

Still up for debate:

Whether The Proposal should come down, and if so, which story should replace it

Whether Necromancer should be replaced by Price of Freedom

Top 5

8 years ago

The Proposal could be replaced by The Other World, that's my vote and I'm sticking to it.

Top 5

8 years ago

Voting against removing the proposal. It isnt nice. It's alexp's site, it's his neat game to his girlfriend/wife/fiance, dont think its nice to do that. 

Top 5

8 years ago

It should still be featured, but plenty of other games beats it in this category. While the Proposal is still a good story, it is not one of the top Advanced Storygames on the site.

Top 5

8 years ago

Not my point lol

Top 5

8 years ago

It's alexp's site; it would be a huge dick move to  take it down. 

Top 5

8 years ago
Yeah, it's Alexp's site. But putting the proposal as a top advanced game is stretching the boundaries. Proposal is a good game, don't get me wrong, but there are several games that are better than it. I say put DMW up if Proposal is removed, and that's my final vote.

Top 5

8 years ago

Seconded.

Top 5

8 years ago
The two categories dont even exist in the new site's plans, so i rather doubt he would care.

Top 5

8 years ago

I believe that "The Proposal" should be replaced, either by GoLaD or ToW. "The Proposal" is a good story-game in its own right, but it has been on the list for a long time and doesn't really demonstrate much beyond basic use of the advanced editor.

Yes, this is Alex's site, but it says more to showcase what other people can do with his editor.

Top 5

8 years ago
Isn't GoLaD already there?

Top 5

8 years ago

Oh, apparently it is.

My bad, then. I retract my previous statement.

Top 5

8 years ago

GoLaD, yes, TOW, no.

TBF, The Other World has a lot more bells and whistles as far as scripting goes, but it'd be a tad biased of me to vote for it. :P 

Top 5

8 years ago

I think Price of Freedom should replace Necromancer but with The Proposal as this is AlexP's site it might be a good idea to just check it's ok before taking his story off the home page because he might be a bit peeved if he comes online and finds it suddenly gone... personally I think The Proposal is a really good and quite sweet story but might belong more in the Basic Category or just plain Featured in the Love and Dating section like it is now, if it does come down The Other World would be a good choice to replace it :)

Top 5

8 years ago

I echo Killa's thoughts on POF in basic-games. Plus I simply don't think it's that great of a game (compared to the best of the best around here) so it shouldn't belong in the front anyway. Dunno.

Top 5

8 years ago

Yeah, it wouldn't be too horrible an idea to get Alex's input on the removal of his story and then have this debate.

Top 5

8 years ago

No offense intended at all, but this comment did get a chuckle out of me. Have you seen the other category? xD 

Top 5 Storygames for New Users

Simple stories for new users

Snow

by Sethaniel

Eternal

by EndMaster

Necromancer

by EndMaster

Ground Zero

by EndMaster

Light Space

by tsmpaul

Three entries for End. And for bonus points, when stories are recommended to new users, what's the first story and first name that always comes up? xD It's shifted a bit to where I've seen people recommending a couple other things -with- or -after-, but still. EDIT: Dammit, James, you ninja'd. :P There goes my context.

Top 5

8 years ago

Edit: I edited my last post. Prior context- I said TOW shouldn't replace proposal because having too many works by the same author on the front page is bad.

Yes, but I've already taken the stance that Necromancer should be removed and replaced with PoF.

In addition, "Eternal" is the one that everyone recommends, moreso than "Necromancer", and it would still be up there.

Top 5

8 years ago

I'm inclined to agree. Even for people who don't think it's amazing, you have to at least admit that being a multi-site contest winner deserves recognition / suggests people new to CYS will appreciate it--and yeah, Eternal and Ground Zero still both represent Endmaster pretty well, even if I am more partial to Necromancer personally, lol. 

Top 5

8 years ago

The way all you guys are debating this sounds like a bunch of heroes trying to figure out the best plan to attack the dark overlord's fortress. Lol

Anyway, just go ahead and put Briar's story up. Seems fitting anyway, Eowyn killed the Witch King right? (Though in Briar's case she'd be more likely to just replace me as the new one rather than for the cause of good)

Top 5

8 years ago

Per Endmaster's instructions, Necromancer has been replaced by Price of Freedom. 

Hey I never noticed this til just now, but new users has way more than 5 stories in it. . .

tsmpaul had light space and ulysses, magus sometimes shows up and sometimes not, 

Top 5

8 years ago

I saw one of your other stories pop up as well.

Top 5

8 years ago

Yeah, as far as I can tell Eternal, Snow, Ground Zero, and Price of Freedom always appear in random order in the top 4 spots, and the 5th spot is filled (randomly? once one appears, it stays through several reloadings) by Ulysses, Light Space, or Magus 

(yeah, I have no idea why Firebird was in there, I removed it.)

Took down Light Space too, but I'm okay with the 5 spot rotating between Ulysses & Magus.  

Top 5

8 years ago
Why'd you take down light space?

Top 5

8 years ago

The evil EndMaster hath fallen, people rejoice! We will no longer be held under his dark and tyrannical hand grips!

Nah, but I suppose it's a good idea. I really love Necromancer though, but it's probably better this way. It's probably good to have a bit more diversity in authors, as to show there are a lot of people on the site who write a lot of stories.

Top 5

8 years ago
It keeps four stories, the ones by Endmaster and Snow, and then randomly selects a fifth from a few I believe.

Top 5

8 years ago

Hah. Never noticed that little bit of randomness. I wonder if it shouldn't be more than just the one that does that. There's certainly enough really impressive stories to recommend to new users here, and that would mean we could add a few without booting out any of the old.  Why not let that be the solution for 'The Proposal' too.

Top 5

8 years ago

Why don't you do this with all of the stories? I mean, come on, there is definitely more that just 5 amazing stories that can be featured there at that time.

Top 5

8 years ago

Or, like, our dark overlord is getting old and not really doing much anymore, so we're considering putting him down, but we don't want the kids to get sad every time they look at an empty dark overlord pen, so we bring in Briar, 'cause she's young, pretty, and doesn't poop as much.

Top 5

8 years ago

In my opinion, the proposal should be replaced by the Walmart game.

Top 5

8 years ago

i nominate deathdefender for top fivewink

Top 5

8 years ago

Deathdefender is a user, not an advanced storygame...

Top 5

8 years ago

Or is it? DUN DUN DUN...

Top 5

8 years ago

... Yey! ^_^

Top 5

8 years ago
What about Mazkil? I liked it a lot.