Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

So, lately I have been watching some "True" real life horror stories on YouTube.

Now... What has been the scariest experience in your entire life?

(P.S, Anyone can reply to this. Just saying :P )

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Well I almost drowned in a small pool once because I was an idiot and made myself dizzy before trying to swim. Humiliating and scary... >_>

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Scary how?  Like, real life scary stuff, or like a horror story?  

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

I'd imagine the former, but if you were more creeped out by a horror story, then go for it, dude. 

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Driving my best friend to the hospital, when he was in mysterious & apparently excruciating pain. I can't even remember what he had -- some failure of one of those essential organs we don't think about much. It was a side effect of the medication he was on, but when I looked up the syndrome, waiting in the hospital, I found out it was kind of mostly lethal.

(Spoiler alert; When it's a side effect & not the result of essentially drinking yourself to death, it's a lot easier to recover.)

But I literally thought that my best friend in the world, who is also my boss & the father of the child I am a quasiparental towards, had less than a 50% chance of survival. I was making contingency plans in my head, trying to figure out how he  & my other dear housemate-friend could possibly afford to raise the kid, and how I could even function in any way, if we lost him.

...I'm lying, actually. There was a worse time. But that one, I think, is not my story to tell. I'll just say that the stronger your love for someone, the more afraid for them, & for you, it's possible to be. It helps, though, if you are not alone in your fear. 

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

I think most people's real life horror is kinda too personal to mention randomly on a website. 

Scary things that have happened to me:

1) The discussion elsewhere about Unwind made me think about the abdominal surgery I had.  That was pretty scary, because I was awake for it & even the parts that didn't hurt as much felt wrong, like your brain knows nothing should ever be touching your internal organs.

2) A true horror story:  When I was a kid, an old guy came to see about buying our house.  He kept saying he was gonna buy it for his family, because they were mad at him, & he kept looking at me and sibs, & talking about his grandkids & how he would never see them again because his family was mad at him.  Mom told us to go in our room & stay there & close the door.  The old guy said he would come back later that night, & mom told him he couldn't, the house wasn't open for showing, & he said "oh, don't worry, I'll be back."  So she called the police & told them the old guy was creepy.  Turned out he had just shot his whole family because he thought they forgot it was Father's Day (which wasn't till next week.)

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

What the hell, it sounds exactly like an horror movie plot (minus the part where he's getting caught).

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

OH SHIT. D:

God DAMN, that is scary shit. >_<

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
I agree with Morgan.  This is why I think fiction can't hold a candle to RL.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

I was just now looking online for evidence about it.  Apparently he was found not guilty by reason of insanity and committed to a psychiatric hospital in October, but went free in February because he was transferred to another hospital & the administrators let him sign a voluntary commitment order, which voids court-ordered care.  

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Based on the info you mentioned, I just looked it up as well.

Yeah, pretty creepy experience you had there.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Haha, yeah I wondered if it actually happened or, you know, there's all kinds of things you remember from a long time ago that maybe didn't happen or at least didn't happen the way you remember. 

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Holy shit! That's fucking mental.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
Holy shit, that's actually terrifying.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

This the story? If so, then geez. That's fucking scary.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

It was probably when i was way younger and I always went to my grandmas apartments. There was another smaller scale complex next door where i always went. Kids would be playing Yu-gio all over the place wether it be on a table or on a power box.

So when kids would leave their cards alone and go run off to the bathroom real quick, I the innocent little kid would grab the cards and just walk off like they were mind. Later on the kids did their own little search party to find the theif but i had already hauled ass back to grandmas.

those weren't the type of kids to go tell their parents on theifs either, they meant buisness.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

How is that scary? 

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

the thought of 8 year old kids ganging up on a 6 year old prison style with no authority near by is more scary than some monster under my covers.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Why'd you steal their stuff then? :p

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

I was 6 Seth. xD

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
Getting between an eight-foot grizzly and his dinner tops my list.  Of course, falling asleep in a boxcar and waking up in a dark, abandoned staging yard a couple hundred miles away can be a bit unnerving for a seven-year-old.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

WOW.

I would be really curious to hear more about that story... I mean, no obligation for you to tell it, but I'm pretty sure nobody else here was ever a seven-year-old asleep in a boxcar, regardless of where it ended up....

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Agree with Morgan.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
I was helping a friend escape from a really bad situation at home and it was where we were hiding.  The ironic part is that it was what we'd been planning all along, we were just too young to realize how impossible it would be for a couple of kids to make it on their own.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Wow, you pulled out such a thing being seven years old ? That's pretty original.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
I can't really take all the credit...  The engineer, conductor, and any crew that happened to be working that night were just as much to blame.  :P

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

This sounds like it could be a plot to a movie.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

The Boxcar Children is a real book, which I remember fondly from childhood. I think a lot of kids daydream about running away from home, to be honest. Even in the ideal case of having two more-or-less happily married parents who can make ends meet financially, & treat their kids well.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
I remember reading it later on (in about the third? grade), after having read all the published mysteries.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
A lot happened that summer that forced me to "grow up" prematurely, perhaps there's a novel in it somewhere.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

This is really cool... and really sad, too. Kudos to you for helping, as best you could at that age.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

So. . . What happened after that? (Unless you'd rather not tell.)

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
We followed the tracks all day and braved a thunderstorm that night, huddled and shivering, in a hay barn -- where we barely managed to escape a farmer and his wife who found us, cleaned us up and gave us some breakfast.  And we were finally nabbed by the cops when we tried to shoplift some candy (because we were "starving") later that afternoon.

We moved away at the end of that summer and I've tried to put all the really bad memories behind me.  I heard that her mother died a few years later, though, and all I can say is good riddance!  She was a violent and abusive drunk that also allowed her daughter to be "abused" by men that she'd drug in from various bars.  The really sad thing was that none of the adults she (my friend) told about it believed her, or else they just didn't care...

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
When I was ~10 a guy broke into our house and vandalized by throwing rocks through our windows in the middle of the night. I was pretty scared because my dad wasn't home at the time and my mother had her gun out. Otherwise I haven't been scared much except for a couple horror films that spooked me.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Off the top of my head...

Once upon a time, my dad went to see an old friend he hasn't seen in forever and brought me with. I was playing in the yard. This old friend's neighbor had a bear-sized doberman who, the owner assured us, didn't bite. My dad wasn't looking, and 4 y/o me sees a happy, "smiling" puppy on the other side.

I don't remember much of what happened, but I do know I was on the ground being clawed and it was the first time in my early life that I kicked something and yelled "Dammit!" without my parents getting upset with me. Turns out, the guy was just a psychodouche who hated kids and his dog was a junkyard  guard in recovery. Neither one of us were seriously hurt, but for a long time after that I never trusted dogs unless I had a big stick in my hands or something. At least, not until I met a really nice dog who brought the stick back to me after I threw it at him, (And missed hilariously.) then all my shit was pretty much instantly alleiviated.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Noooo!

That sucks, man... except the ending. Glad you weren't scarred for life. ;P

It's funny, but the two Dobermans I've known were the sweetest dogs. One was ours, & one belonged to the monks of a monastery my family used to visit. Gretel was theirs, and she was very large & fat, and very good with children.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Oh, yeah. The dog that fetched the stick for me was a Doberman too. I was being babysat by my uncle (who didn't know I was afraid of dogs at the time) and so he left me alone in the yard with him because the phone was ringing. I just kind of took a treebranch and bunkered down in a corner of the yard. Since he was curious and liked kids, he started heading towards me, and I was scared shitless, so I threw the stick, thinking it would at least stun him long enough for me to climb over the fence or something, and I didn't know that throwing things at a dog usually implies that you're playing a game, since I wasn't much more than 5.

So when the dog brought the stick back, I was absolutely floored. I thought that this was like some Martin-Luther-King-level peace offering that the dog was so intent on redeeming all of dogkind that he would give the stick back just to show that he was a good guy. I was so touched that I threw the stick off into the distance and he went off to catch it again, and I've loved dogs ever since. ^.^

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
That's actually adorable Sent. Too bad my dog never learnt how to play fetch and would bring the stick back and never let go.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
I had a dog that was stubborn like that.  The way I cured him was to buy a half dozen tennis balls and throw them instead, one at a time.  He could carry four of 'em, but tried to retrieve them all.  It was pretty hilarious to watch, actually, every time he went for another one, he'd drop one that he already had.  Later on, I'd throw one at the exact moment that he returned and in his excitement he'd drop the one he was carrying.  Eventually, he learned to drop whatever he was fetching at my feet so I would throw it for him.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
That's very smart actually :o
I'll try it if I ever have another dog who can't fetch.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

...that is the sweetest story. Seriously, you could write that up for Chicken Soup For The Dog-lover's Soul, and they'd eat it up with a spoon. So to speak. ;D

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Awwwww. ^_^

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

One that's kinda crazy to think about, because it could have just as likely been me, and just as likely been worse, was back when I was in elementary school. A bus driver essentially kidnapped 13 kids from my school; instead of their field trip destination, he just decided to take a route 20 times longer and drive all the way to Washington DC, also armed with a loaded rifle. Everyone was fine in the end, and I think he even bought them McDonalds along the way, but those 16 hours must have been horrible for the parents.

Of course, for me, I don't think anything beats the time my house was broken into. It's a weird, horrible feeling when you return home to find that the door's open, windows are smashed, the dog's missing, you're wondering if the intruder might still be in there... just the entirety of not feeling safe in your own home. Needless to say, falling asleep was difficult for several nights.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

What happened to your dog ?

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Fortunately, he was fine, just hiding behind the sofa.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Heh, that's pretty clever.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

D:

Why did he do it? I mean, he was obviously crazy, but was it ever clear what his motives were?

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

He obviously wanted to treat those kids a nice burger.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

From what I understand, he was schizophrenic, didn't like Bin Laden, and wanted to "make a statement" by showing up at the White House.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

...ah. The dangeous form of schizophrenia. Very rare, actually, if you look at the studies. But it only takes one.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
1) Physical Horror - Being false charged by a grizzly, which then proceeded to stalk me and my hiking companions as we backtracked for the next mile or two.

2) Mental Horror - One night in college, I dreamed that a few friends and I were abducted by aliens while on a road trip. The dream was rather horrifying in itself, but that wasn't the bad part. When I woke up in the middle of the night, I was slicked in a sheen of cold sweat, all the interior doors in the apartment were open, the clock was two hours slow and all the lights were on. When I went to sleep, all the doors were shut, the clock had the correct time and all the lights were off. The front door was still locked, I had no roommates and was the only one with a key.

I still have no explanation for that one.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
I was hiking with a bunch of friends and we got lost and were trying to walk on a large rock overhang of sorts. It was I'd say around the height of a 10-story building. Everyone else was doing fine, but I didn't stick close enough to the cliff and my foot slipped. I almost fell to my death :/

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

So I've heard. Not sure whether to laugh or be concerned for you...gotta love Duke of Ed :P

Anyhow, I find incidents that have occurred to those I hold dear infinitely more terrifying than anything I've gone through personally:

1. When a former good friend of mine who had become obsessively infatuated with me threatened to suicide because I was rebuffing him. It was emotional blackmail, yes, but he was suffering from depression and had a history of suicidal tendencies, so I knew it wasn't a bluff. He ended up receiving hospital treatment for slit wrists (looking back I probably should've contacted authorities) and I had to console him for the next few months to help him get over the whole thing. He still has feelings for me to this day despite having gone through two girlfriends.

2. When I was told by phone that a childhood friend (who I had once considered to be the older brother I never had; I hadn't seen him in person for a number of years, and was planning a reconciliation at the time) had his right leg amputated because of a car accident and was 'recovering' at a hospital. I received no word of the incident for the next month or so despite my best efforts to contact him, and was later told that he had in fact passed away on the day of the accident. To this day that remains pretty much all the details I know of the incident.

3. When my idiot of a friend told me that she was going to take an amount of caffeine tablets that was dangerously close to the 'potentially lethal' dose, for the 'lols'. I received no word from her for the next 27 hours, and had bouts of paranoia that culminated in a panic attack at school; turns out she had gotten extremely sick and vomited for the next three days, but she recovered afterwards. She's stayed around the maximum daily dose since.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
You can't get lost in Duke of Ed + teachers wouldn't organise a hike 300m from the ground. Was just hiking with friends.

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

You guys got lost in Duke of Ed and you fell off a cliff...unless that was another cliff?

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago
It wasn't Duke of Ed. It was just with other friends, let's leave it at that ^-^'

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

I once thought I heard gunshots outside my house. I was playing my PS2 at the time, and the first couple of times it happened I just thought I was hearing things, but nope, there were several more of these loud booms. I turned off the console and got really spooked, I thought someone was getting murdered or something. Then I heard someone yelling, which didn't help.

It was July 4th, some of the people in my neighborhood were just shooting off fireworks and cheering or something.

In my defense, I was still fairly young and guess I must have been playing too much Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (which had just come out around the time this happened). But yeah, really scared me when I was a kid, and after realizing what was going on, I just went back to shooting people on the TV lol.

Didn't happen to me, but to my cousins in Pakistan: basically in one of my cousin's school they've started giving the teachers firearms and training them how to shoot, in case something like last year's Taliban school shootings (still waiting for Reddit/Youtube/Google to change their logos to Pakistani colors :/) happen again. Apparently this is becoming really popular, especially in Peshawar. Can't imagine what that's like. At least the propaganda Nawaz is putting out on the TV is slightly better, recently an uncle of mine visited, and all he watches is Pakistani news, so I got to see some. Now instead of a bunch of kids singing the national anthem it's a bunch of kids (with noticeably more schoolgirls) singing something along the lines of "all children should go to school".

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

That sounds like a good change.

There's a shooting range in earshot of us, so we're pretty used to things that go boom. Westover Air Base does helicopter & fighter jet training in our airspace, too. Kind of cool to see, actually... but it's a good thing I don't have paranoid tendencies, because we've got literal black helicopters around. XD

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Hm, I think the scariest thing that happened was when I was a young Will11 my Mum had a cousin called Ann who was really old and really ill. We went to visit her at the Hospice which is basically where they put terminally ill people (we had to stay in the room where they wheeled a body down the corridor and later in the day room there was a family sitting together crying and saying things like "she's in a better place" which made getting a biscuit from the communal biscuit box on the table between them really awkward).

When we arrived I went to sit in a chair in the corner and Ann said "don't sit on the little girl“? Of course that made me pause, especially because there wasn't anyone sitting in the chair. When I mentioned this Ann said "no, no, there's a little girl with black hair and she's got a little doll." Well that creeped me out but my parents explained later that Ann was on a lot of medication. Reading one of the leaflets in Reception it told me the building the Hospice was in had once been a children's nursery.

Anyway Ann died a few weeks later of her cancer and that night while I was in bed the moon was casting it's light on my wardrobes (because as a little kid you need somewhere to keep all those Harry Potter pajamas). It was probably because I was small but there was a shadow on the wardrobe and I was convinced it was a little person and I was saying "go away, please go away, go away" but the shadow of a person stayed there for ages before slowly vanishing. It could have been a cloud drifting across the moon or something but I was convinced for ages the little girl had come to the house where I lived...

Anyway if she's still there she's got some new friends cause we moved out years ago :)

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

Oooh. I don't think I've ever heard an actual first-hand ghost story. She sounds like she wasn't the poltergeist type, at least. ;)

Scariest Experience?

8 years ago

*ahem*

Once upon a midnight dreary two years ago, I was staying at home alone. My parents were out shopping and I was left with my dog while I was on my computer. About twenty or so minutes after they had been gone, and I swear to God I'm not making this up, I heard the sound of paper being crumpled in my dad's bedroom which was in the back... Which I was facing away from. I went on with my business, but I just kept hearing that paper crumpling and I knew (or thought) something was up. I tried to ignore it, figuring I'd tell my parents when they came back and I did, hearing the paper crumpling until my parents got home. I told my dad, and he said something along the lines of: "I've been hearing it too..." Before just going off. I heard that paper crumpling noise every time I was alone in the house until we moved at the beginning of the year, then I never heard it again.

Pretty anti-climactic, I know, but there's really nothing else to the story. Probably not really scary, either, but for an 11 year old, the thought of someone in your house while you're home alone with your fat, lazy dog is horriying.