Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Need permission

2 years ago
Hi!

I have an usual question. I am a volunteer at Multiverse infiniverse. It is a virtual reality world. I am trying to create new and interesting things to do, as well as bring people together. I was considering trying to do an escape room but the tools that I have available will not allow me to do this at this time. I am considering setting up a choose your own adventure. Basically a player will enter a virtual room with a story board and then they can choose a door to advance their story. I found this site and I love the stories I have read so far. I would not make a single penny from creating this and I would credit the writer as well as this site. I am wondering if I could gain permission to do this. Do I need permission from the writer or the site? Thank you!

Need permission

2 years ago

I could be wrong, but from what I recall/understand:

Chooseyourstory lets authors retain full copyright of their works, so you would want to ask the writers.

The site is given permission to host whatever you put up, but they aren't taking your copyright or whatever.

On the other hand, multiverse infiniverse is funny, since while you might not profit the thing isn't some free endeavour. You say you're a volunteer, how does that work? Who are you volunteering for? Is this a facebook thing?

If this is accurate:

The platform also allows users to place persistent content in the world, which remains in the same physical location even after the user has left the area or quit the application. However, due to the scarcity of real world space, users must purchase or rent land NFTs, which represent the digital layer of real world locations, in order to place persistent content.

And:

Infiniverse has its own economy and marketplace which gives users the opportunity to earn cryptocurrency.

Then it does seem to me like someone could profit from this, or at the very least things aren't as innocent as you make it sound. What happens when someone else buys the 'land NFT' that you put the writers work on? What is infiniverse's outlook on copyright and the content put into it?

If you are just some participant wanting to do what you say, just make your own stories. If I found the correct infiniverse and you are limited by real world space, then being able to ensure the story fits the physical space is a good idea.

But that's just my take.

Need permission

2 years ago
I think you have the wrong one. It is the one on Oculus and it isn't a nft or an a coin on the Blockchain. Oculus does not allow money to be taken out. They see that as gambling as it is against their rules. This is purely like playing with monopoly money at this point. Maybe in the far future like 5 to 10 years we may be able to mint our apartments into NFts but this content isn't linked to an apartment. It is like a virtual webpage but instead of links we are inside a virtual room with virtual doors. It would purely be a written story placed on screens and people can choose their adventure by entering a different door. This is just something fun for me to build and to help bring new people to the author or site. Like I said I make absolutely no money from this. I'm a volunteer who just likes to make virtual rooms for others to enjoy and connect more people to each other.

Need permission

2 years ago
Ah, cool. You did mention virtual reality, and not augmented (which is what the one I found was), so I should've figured from that.

Anyway, good to see more detail on what this actually is. It seems neat.

Need permission

2 years ago
I would probably be the first doing it. It is very basic as this time. We are little robots that float around and can enter rooms through doors. I thought this would be a near way to connect rooms as a choose your own adventure.

Need permission

2 years ago
If you have access to an Oculus Quest I would totally love to show you around! It's a free social game. I'm honestly just trying to make something I think that would fun for the users of the game and for the writers. I don't understand the hostility but maybe it's because people are use to having others copy their work without permission. That's why I came here to seek it. Maybe I'll take the time to learn how to write my own, but I read some good stories and thought this would be a fun medium to try something like this out.

Need permission

2 years ago
I have no idea what this guy is talking about, but if the author is credited and there's a link back to the original storygame somewhere I don't see how it's any different from when some random youtuber shows off a game, just in a different format.

Ideally you'd want to get permission from individual authors when you can, but I realize that's not always possible with the way people here come and go over the years.

Need permission

2 years ago
Yes I know that I probably could do just that but I would prefer the author to grant permission. It may be a way to get the author some new fans.

Need permission

2 years ago
Still a little unsure of what it is you're looking for here though. Are you looking to take some pre existing CYS games and copy/paste them into Multiverse Infiniverse? If so, you'd need permission from the writers, rather than the site. All the games on the site belong to the authors.

Need permission

2 years ago
Not sure what a cys game is. It will be a room with screens that will have the story. There will be doors where the person can go though to advance the story. So a choose your own adventure. I messaged one author and hopefully they will want to be part of this.

Need permission

2 years ago
....how many fractions of a second did you spend looking at the site before making this thread?

Need permission

2 years ago
I just was reading the stories. I didn't spend a lot of time on creating my own. I was enjoying a mystery by Will.

Need permission

2 years ago
CYS stands for Choose Your Story. ^_^

Need permission

2 years ago
It clicked in my head what that stood for once I actually thought about it. I thought it was an app or program! lol

Need permission

2 years ago
So... exactly, 100% what this site is?

Need permission

2 years ago
I spent my time reading the stories. I didn't look up on how to create my own. I don't know why this place feels so hostile.

Need permission

2 years ago
Possibly because you said you don't know what a CYS game is on a site called Choose Your Story. :p

Need permission

2 years ago
It didn't click at first! I was focused on something else and thought it was an acronym for an app. I've been trying to learn how to use other apps like PS, AN and I thought it was just another acronym for another app. I'm like duh.

Need permission

2 years ago
Oh wait. You are an ogre. Hostile is your life. lol Anyway, it's totally ok if people aren't interested. I can try to create my own silly and very simple one. It may not be as engaging as the others on here but it would be a start.

Need permission

2 years ago

This project feels as real to me as the real worth of NFTs. 

Need permission

2 years ago
Well it doesn't have value in money. It's just something for me to build and create a fun free experience. But I feel like it's not really wanted by many of you. I have sent a message to one writer and hopefully that person will be willing to give it a try. Even if they don't have an oculus I can send them a video of what I create before making it public. I just like to make fun rooms for people to enjoy from sharing works of Artists and other writers to watching movies or clips in VR. It has created a new way to connect with people and share interesting work. I always get their permission before creating anything with their work. It's basically I enjoy something and I share it on my platform for others. It's not like Youtube or instagram where I make some money from views. There is no way to do that and I don't have a youtube or instagram or anything like that. I don't have a tictok either. It would just be posted in this world and shared with others so they can come visit.

Need permission

2 years ago
... That one author wouldn't happen to be EndMaster, would it?

Need permission

2 years ago

Wasn't me.

Though I can imagine more than a few people wanting to experience the virtual reality sensation of fucking Semra as she sticks a knife in them.

Need permission

2 years ago
I so badly want to witness that scene in the style of late 1990s 1st person pixel art. ^_^

Need permission

2 years ago
That could happen in an adult only section, but Oculus has very strict rules. So far the game hasn't created an Adult only section so I can't do it just yet. I was working on interactive video but unfortunately it doesn't work with the game at this time. It could be cool to click and choose a path.

Need permission

2 years ago
I messaged a few people and haven't received a response. If anyone is interested and has a short story that is appropriate for a general audience of mixed ages then I would appreciate a message.

Thank you!

Need permission

2 years ago
Yeah, the site has been around for like 20 years, so the majority of writers are no longer active.

Need permission

2 years ago
That's what I'm finding unfortunately. I am hoping someone will be interested otherwise I'll have to write something on my own and that may not be good. lol

Need permission

2 years ago

You should probably check their "last activity" date before messaging people. If they haven't been on in over a week, they probably won't be on to see your message.

Need permission

2 years ago
Some have been on this week, but I assume they aren't interested in messages or in my project. Thank you for your suggestion.

Need permission

2 years ago
I have received permission from 2 authors! I'll work on it next week and if I do get it finished, I'll try to create a video of the experience and show all of you what it's like.

Thank you!

Need permission

2 years ago

If we want to know what it's like to be gay and depressed we can just ask Coins.

Need permission

2 years ago
How do you not know I'm not?

JK. Hey if coins wants me to share then I can always try. This is about experiencing and relating to people right.