I'd like to run a contest starting now through August 16th. The general theme is “Break!”
Using one of the provided prompts is not required, but if you wish to claim one reply with the number you wish to select, the prompt, and edit lock your post. Please double check that no one else has taken the prompt you want.
If you choose to make your own premise, it should revolve around a “break” of some sort, literal or figurative, as a key element of plot or setting. Something, someone, somewhen, or somewhere should be broken or breaking. Reply, “freeform” and edit lock your post.
As far as I know, there's no penalty for entering and then failing to produce a valid storygame. No pressure! But please don’t take a prompt from the list with no intention of making a storygame with it, as others might have wanted it.
Deadline: August 16th, 2020 at 11:59 P.M. Eastern
Entry Fee: None!
Rewards: It’s a mystery! Mizal will dole out rewards as she sees fit.
Minimum entries required: Five valid entries that meet site standards.
1. A woman goes on a journey to seek healing for a broken heart, and meets several eccentric characters along the way.
2. A sealed, domed city traps select citizens inside while keeping the rest out, but no one knows why. When someone close is taken into the dome, a reporter vows to break in and discover the truth.
3. Two lovers are separated by a rift, able to send messages to each other but unable to cross over themselves.
4. A chronic rule-breaker seeks to change high-school for the better.
5. A vassal kingdom has just broken the treaty keeping the peace, and all ambassadors sent to the traitorous kingdom have not returned.
6. Aliens of diverse backgrounds come together to challenge the most secure financial facility in the galaxy.
7. A busy single with little time for love finds hope for romance on her daily coffee break at a local shop.
8. For years, Jewish revolts have been returned with severe and brutal countermeasures by Roman forces, blood running in the streets. But for now, the fighting has ended. Will you work with your Roman oppressors and negotiate for peace, join the Jewish zealots in a battle for freedom, or flee with the Christian sect through the mountains? (Historical, ~66-70 AD)
9. A rookie trains and competes to break a world record while dodging assassination attempts.
10. Strange things are happening all over the universe, as if dreams and imaginings are manifesting. It seems the higher-ups don’t want anyone investigating these breaks in reality…
11. A person wakes up in a deadly, maze-like building and is given 24 hours to break out.
12. Shards of the broken planet are held together by the mages, while the elite live in floating cities. But someone is assassinating the mages, one by one…
13. A normally by-the-book officer receives a strange object that allows him/her to break the mind-barrier and enter people’s memories and dreams in order to track down a serial killer.
14. An explorer finds the entrance to an ancient temple, but breaking in will not be simple.
15. A prisoner of war resists attempts to break his mind, body, and spirit while plotting escape.
16. Merlin breaks the rules of time by living life backwards. The first page is the ending of the tale, and choices trace back to the start.
17. A codebreaker works to intercept and decipher enemy messages in time to stop horrific events, but must be careful not to arouse suspicious.
18. A woman in rehab for a broken leg is recruited to be a spy – but she’ll have to use someone else’s body.
19. A person seeks to break the caste system and rise through the ranks by killing others and taking over their identities.
20. For millennia, Extra-Dimensional Authority officials have worked to change the multiverse by entering different worlds through “The Mesh” to alter them from the inside. But after one job leads to horrific consequences, an EDA officer is approached by rebels wanting to destroy The Mesh.
21. A car breakdown on an isolated road leads to a night in a mysterious cabin.
22. A starving, shambling zombie seeks brains to dissect – not just to eat, but in hopes of finding a cure.
23. A storygame that frequently breaks the fourth wall
Ninjapitka is going to help judge, and I'll ask 1-3 others (for a panel of 3 or 5) based off who would rather enter or judge. Basic things like creativity, writing, theme appropriate, etc.
If you think you can do two games, sure, though I'd really recommend just doing the second as a normal site entry and not part of the contest. I don't mind if you claim/use one of the other prompts for a regular story, I can always post more if people prefer the prompts and they run low.
But if you want to enter it officially, that's fine, too.
No, freeform like my favorite Undertale RPs.
I think I'll go ahead and enter this competition. Freeform.
I love a lot of these prompts but I think I'll take prompt 13.
Looking forward to it!
Well heck. If Digit's rejecting 21, I guess that means maybe I can whip something out.
And... it's official.
I'm going to bump this thread a bit...
Just want to point out here that this contest is operating on a razor-thin margin here, by which I mean this:
Minimum entries required: Five valid entries that meet site standards
Minimum entries required: Five valid entries that meet site standards
Yes, seven people have thrown their hat in, and if all seven of us manage to produce a story, then no worries.
But if this contest sees the same percentage of no-shows as most in CYStia.... Just sayin' that more participation would be a nice thing to see.
? Not happy? I said you could if you wanted to.
Normally contest entries can't be re-used for a different contest, from what I've seen, even if you modify them. But since Mizal's is a speed write, I'm not personally opposed to you expanding it for this if Mizal allows it.
Good points. O.K. then, no recycled contest stories.
I've been in a gigantic writing slump, but I recently got into a CYOA mood haha. Hopefully, this will be a kick in the butt to write something worthwhile. :D This means I have to review how advanced editor works though. T-T
Prompt 20. BTW what is this "freeform" stuff?
There's no word requirements or anything? ( 0_0)=3 You just make it as you please? That's what I'll assume...!
Mizal! You should join eventually! Don't worry, I'll prepare the pom poms in advance. :D
What the hell... I'll join. Freeform.
Glad to see so many people breaking down and joining.
...maybe a little.
number 16 looks epic, I'm going to give this a try.
Cool! It will be ineresting to see a 'backwards' CYOA.
The deadline for this is less than two weeks away. How's everyone doing with theirs? How many haven't started yet? ;)
Mostly done, just a few final loose ends to wrap up.
There's over a week left for proofreading or finding a beta reader. Your concepts are always really interesting, and I'm glad you picked the heist prompt - had you in mind when I came up with that one - so please do share it. Your stories are never boring.
Breaking away from the text of the prompt is totally in the spirit of this contest. ;)