Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

OUTBREAK FEVER! Have a Corona!

4 years ago
It's your one stop chat thread for the ongoing apocalypse!* Brought to you by Corona!

Sit down, have a cold one (it's the apocalypse, who cares if you're 12!). Tell us about how crazy things are getting where you are, share your mad prepper tips, get it off your chest if you're upset or worried, share your informed thoughts on the virus with other mostly teenaged writing nerds with zero medical experience, whatever. We've got a pretty good global spread here so we can all keep each other in the loop.

OUTBREAK FEVER will remain in affect for three weeks, or until the world either ends or doesn't end! Have fun and don't die! See you all on the 28th, when shit will either have blown over or be really freakin grim!

Suggested listening:

If you have movie clips or music videos to share that are more on topic than blowing up aliens, just go to YouTube and click Share > Embed and copy the code it gives. Doesn't work on mobile, sorry.

*plague related apocalypse chat only. If you wish to discuss this year's fires, volcanoes, hail storms, dust storms, earthquakes, or locusts, we'll need another thread.

Please also enjoy these related threads:

Outbreak Writing Jam
Corona tag!
Covid20 continuing thingy
Apocalyptic Reading
Or don't enjoy them, who cares.

4 years ago

I guess I'll start lol.  Just today, I've gotten military orders that I'm not legally allowed to leave the local area until mid-May.  How that'll help when we've already got a coworker that works part-time at a hospital with two suspected coronavirus patients and another one that just returned from vacationing in Wuhan, I've no idea.  I fully expect to get the virus, and there's very little I can do to avoid coming into contact with those who have it, since the military hardly stops functioning for something as piddling as a contagion. 

I'm also on my last roll of toilet paper, but luckily I've got some hard copies of my IS contest WIP handy.

4 years ago
What is it you do exactly? I have heard you mention the military only in vague references before.

F as far as getting sick, but you're pretty healthy right? So you hopefully aren't really in the at risk group. Good luck on finding the ever elusive toilet paper.

Next up, from Canary: "I've been playing Minecraft two days straight and was unaware there was a virus, what?"

4 years ago

Avionic system management, on our jets.  Whether it be turning a wrench, replacing wires, loading software, whatever.

And yeah, I'll be fine.  Might have a fever for a week but we've all had fevers before.  Canary on the other hand has been isolated from the rest of humanity for so long that his immune system has likely grown weak.  Maybe it's better he doesn't know.

4 years ago
Oh, that's really cool.

I can actually picture what a conversation would be like with you in real life now. One of my uncles repairs Fed Ex planes, so it would probably be just like that, only 4x more incomprehensible.

4 years ago

Oh, I didn't know this! I work on hydraulic systems for some military aircraft. Are you familiar with any of the hydraulics?

I hope that you and all of those serving our country are able to stay safe throughout this whole ordeal!

4 years ago

Maybe a very basic level of knowledge lol, but I don't work on them at all.  And thanks!  We're doing alright so far.

4 years ago
So how many Chinese people got the doors of their apartments welded shut? I had to look up the video after Coins mentioned it and it's just, wtf, China. Did they at least give them food or anything or are they just supposed to die in there?

4 years ago

What? Seriously? That's just bad, if they're infected move them to quarantine instead of starving them to death.

4 years ago

https://ufospotlight.wordpress.com/2020/02/13/chinese-intelligence-officer-reveals-true-magnitude-of-chinas-coronavirus-crisis/

If anybody's interested in conspiracy theories, then I've found a goldmine for you here, lol.

4 years ago

We here were kinda already on alert the minute China was denying that there is no virus existing. The government probably already knows how the Chinese government are just a bunch of liars, lol. So warnings were issued to stay safe, keep washing your hands, etc. and a lot of peeps went on a shopping spree long before the case was even known to the world I think. I of course was a dumb idiot and thought this was all hogwash, so I didn't buy anything in advance.

Since a few months everything here has been put under a sort of pseudo martial law. There are military checkpoints everywhere, and army men are stopping large gatherings of people. I guess the government is just scared of unrest and is taking the necessary precautions. Traveling between cities has also been banned for 10 days, so I'm stuck in my university dorm room. Of course the uni is closed and I guess most professors have retreated to their secret bunkers somewhere, lol.

There are also a lot of doctors in face masks and protective equipment running everywhere, checking everyone. Recently a bunch of Italian tourists were quarantined in the city closest to my uni and turned out to be positive.

One good thing for me is that my campus is literally in the middle of nowhere with the closest 7/11 being like 20 miles away, so chances of running into an infected person is low. Problem is that, because I was an idiot and didn't shop I have absolutely no food left to stay holed up in my room. So I'm solely relying on my hostel's mess. Also the area here is almost deserted. Almost all students went back home before the traveling ban. Though a lot are still trying to illegally travel. Though I'm scared of going back home to Bombay since the disease there can literally spread like wildfire. Imagine more than almost double the entire population of New Zealand living in Manhattan. That's Bombay city.

Main reason why we've managed to keep the actual cases under 80 or something now? Is because the government is acting like crazy in controlling this. Which is a good thing, but annoying.

I just hope my parents are safe.

4 years ago

I was playing plague inc. (a game you make virus to exterminate humans)  and in i made non lethal virus but highly contagious

then after whole population was infected * I would evolve the virus into something super lethal and then ... 

So iwas thinking maybe corona is the same and it just ready for a trigger to suddenly Evolve and Kaboom!(×_×)

*(game's AI didn't care about the virus if it wasn't lethal given how you don't care about cold ,herpes- andnont the genital - and other simple viruses it was pretty normal for AI ) 

4 years ago
Yeah, that was always the winning strategy with it, nobody but Madagascar cared about the virus with no symptoms.

I've read that real viruses will generally try and mutate to spread faster and be LESS lethal though, because it doesn't benefit them to kill off their host.

Although I guess that doesn't account for anything that could be done with them deliberately with modern technology.

4 years ago

I doubt that this virus is going to play it like a strategy game...Also, we didn't design it to be lethal to anyone except (redacted). So,  most people will be okay.

4 years ago

Personally I like how virtually every other forum I've browsed has gotten in a tizz about Corona virus jokes being in "poor taste" meanwhile we've seized the opportunity to turn it into something fun and creative.

4 years ago

My work was completely empty today. Like, we got an ok amount of customers through drive through but only like 2-3 in the lobby, and we have a sign that says they cant sit down to eat anymore (that none of them followed) but must instead get their food and skedaddle. It was so bizarre. All of my coworkers pointed out that it felt kinda dreadful how slow it was and knowing it's because of a pandemic. 

I'm also running low on my groceries and I don't feel like going to my local one to stand in line for 2 hours. 

This is great! Things are great.

4 years ago
If everybody learns one lesson from all this, I hope it's to keep a basic stock of emergency supplies on hand. If you're in a first world country at least it's trivial to keep two weeks worth of water and non perishables and a damn spare pack of toilet paper around to if nothing else spare some stress if things like this happen. I'm worrying about a lot of you now although there's no reason to believe the bigger stores at least won't be able to restock as normal. Hopefully most people will have fun what they need and will have the panic buying out of their system.

Of course with how many members are kids here or live with thieving roommates I know it can't be helped sometimes.

Surprised your work is staying open, I thought California was shutting food places down, and they have to be losing money. Can you steal anything before they send everybody home?

4 years ago

Yeah absolutely. Well I still havent been able to go to the grocery store but today might be the day!
I had a decent amount of supplies and my parents did too, before all this. But now we're running low and it's more intrusive stuff like milk, over necessary stuff like food in general. 

I'm just hoping when I go today it won't be as insane since the initial panic will have hopefully died down by now. 

Oh yeah definitely. My work is hemorrhaging money by staying open, but the place I work at has a strict "stay open 24/7" policy. I think the only time we closed in the 5 years I've been there, was when my boss petitioned his higher ups to let us close for Christmas Eve since it was going to be really slow and it'd let people go celebrate the day. Even when the power went out, they stayed open and had one employee sit there watching it lol. They're pretty ridiculous.

And my boss thought ahead, he moved all the 'possible theft' materials like toilet paper/paper towels/soap/etc onto a cart in front of a camera. Not that I'd steal any anyway! But a lot of the other employees were like "damn, I was gonna take a roll of paper" lol. I've mostly just been using my 'manager meals' to take a bit food home for free every shift. 

4 years ago

Schools are shutdown and everyone is advised to work from home here. Nothing crazy has happened, except that my mom can't buy toilet paper. Why the toilet paper stockpiling anyway? I'll keep you updated on when we turn to cannibalism here; I know people on this site would appreciate that.

4 years ago

People are really getting pissed about the ones stockpiling toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Lol.

4 years ago

My mom told me that, for as long as she's been alive, she's never seen a toilet paper shortage like this.  This means that there has always been enough to go around, and then some.  It'd be no different now if people weren't panicking and hoarding it all.  We'd all be able to wipe our butts in peace.  

4 years ago

Just think if you survive this young one, you can tell stories to later generations of the Great Toilet Paper Wars of 2020.

4 years ago

"Back when I was your age, I killed a man for a roll of toilet paper and refused to keep score during little league to avoid hurting kid's feelings. You are both too soft and too cruel, grandson!" -shadowdrake27 110 years from now.

4 years ago

Thats why its  better to use squat toilet best toilet  just think abot all those trees that's gonna be chopped 

And u can Google other advantages 

4 years ago

Actually, I'm not convinced that reducing paper usage saves trees. This argument assumes that there are a fixed number of trees in the world, and each sheet of paper comes from a limited supply. In reality, there are "tree farms" that grow trees for use in paper products. Initially, this industry actually increases the number of trees in the world based on the demand for paper. Years later they harvest those trees for your paper consumption, and replace them with a new crop of young trees.

To make this sustainable, they have to do things like soil management and crop rotations. To ensure a consistent supply, they actually need multiple fields that will mature at different rates. It might look like this:

We designate 12 plots of land (10 planted and two resting) for our needs. Each year we plant one field, so that we can harvest them one year apart later on. 10 years from now, we have added a years supply of paper worth of trees to the ecosystem, times 10. To meet demand for this year, we cut down a years supply of paper (now we are positive 9 on adding trees to the environment), and we plant one of the resting fields to replace it (whoops, back to positive 10). 

Obviously, I don't waste paper just because I'm evil. I also don't think that using more paper is necessarily better for the environment. I just don't know that not using as much toilet paper would automatically lead to more trees on the world... just a thought.

4 years ago

I get it 

seriously  it's just my opinion maybe cuz i grew up with squat toilet so using sitting toilet is kinda impossible for me i just don't get how to use papers for cleaning ithink every one in my region doesn'ti think water is more convenient maybe because of the nurture but seriously you guys should consider it its kinda easier and better for Colon 

4 years ago

haha, I am mostly messing with you. I am sure there are many differences in how we do things, coming from different cultures. I prefer what I am used to though! Although, I do concede that we could survive without toilet paper. Why we are hoarding it? i have no idea.

4 years ago
You only need a few hoarders to create a shortage, and a situation where everyone else has to buy as much as they can because they know if they don't that someone else will take it all.

4 years ago

I see... I guess I never shared that fear. We were fortunate to buy toilet paper right before everyone else did.

4 years ago
So exchanging ass wiping strategies aside, are you actually in Iran? I keep hearing things are pretty bad over there with the virus, how are things with you and your family right now?

4 years ago

yeah it's pretty bad in here thankfully me and my family haven't been in contact with the virus

4 years ago

Ya I agree. Water is way better. The concept of using a toilet paper just weirds me out for some reason. Won't that cause pretty bad rashes and stuff?

We use western toilets here without toilet paper, but with a mini hand shower of sorts. These days most people are using those hi-tech automatic washing Japanese toilets in their houses though. That makes toilet papers and hand showers completely obsolete.

4 years ago

It most certainly does cause rashes, (or at very least, some occasional bleeding) and it's horrible.  I should give the Japanese toilet a try, as weird as having water squirted up my butt sounds.  How do you dry off before putting your pants back on?

4 years ago

You use the hand towel to dry off... Duh

4 years ago

^

4 years ago
So Trump said a few hours ago it might be July or August before things are back to normal around here.

Trying to decide if I should go buy a bunch more pasta in case I get tired of rice and beans, except I know several thousand other people in my area have probably been having this exact thought.

4 years ago

Just wait till midnight and go then.  Walmart's open 24 hours a day, right?  

4 years ago
my local 24/7 walmart now closes at 11 on weekdays and 10 on weekends.

4 years ago
They close at 11 now, so employees have time to restock. At least in the US.

I avoid Walmart unless absolutely necessary anyway though since I have superior options. But even HEB is closing at 8pm now.

4 years ago

Walmart tends to be looted anyway. Better to stick to smaller stores. 

Glad to be living in an oversized "small town" where most people are poor so a lot of stuff is still in stock or at least doesn't immediately run out.

4 years ago

CRK! Tsssss......

I was trying to emulate the sound of a beer tab getting cracked open, hopefully it worked out. Oh yeah, Corona is happening bigtime.

I hopped down to the international district to play ddr with a pal of mine and the place was ghostly, with the exception of some homeless folks. At the grocery store we picked up some mochi and canned coffee but the noodle aisle was super empty. Normally you gotta go viking mode to make it through the narrow spaces but there simply wasn't anything. There were only 2 lines for checkout, and the extremely handsome cashier looked visibly distressed. The Daiso across the street had a sign that said they were completely out of face masks. The chocolate covered espresso beans there were only a dollar a pack! That has nothing to do with the outbreak, I just thought it was a deal.

If anything, the outbreak is a blessing to me. I just aced an art job that requires me to work from home, so this quarantining thing is in the bag. It'll help me focus more. Ah, I'm quite sad about my other job, though. It'll be closed another week and I can't see my cute manager.

As I'm typing this, I realize the bus station is completely empty. They might be shutting down the place temporarily. The white lady is yelling at the bank girl through the glass, I guess they must be closed as well.

4 years ago
I snagged some boxes of pasta that look like cute tiny straw hats. Idk what it was, we had only weird things left. Although there were several bags of the "natural" hand cut looking noodles that are actually excellent for chicken soup, so shoppers are fools.

The gluten free and whole wheat pasta being basically untouched was understandable though. In some situations even starvation is preferable.

The weirdest pasta related thing was that the spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce were *destroyed*, but all the jars of pizza sauce were still there. IT'S THE SAME THING YOU TARDS.

4 years ago
Oh yeah and I don't have a job anymore.

Lol

4 years ago

F

4 years ago

Said pal and I hit up Uwajimaya and we did find somen noodles. Man, that stuff is cheap. Like, a pack big enough for our house (5 people) for like 3 bucks. Lots of things are cheap there, so we generally eat asain foods cos we all college aged shmucks.

Have you ever made omurice? You'd think it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's seriously delicious. Adding corn to the fried rice gives it a slight sweetness that sends me right to heaven. Also getting the omelette in the right shape is satisfying as all hell.

Asain folks dont exactly have pasta. I remember when my friend Wataru visited, I took him to the Olive Garden and his mind was blown. Now linguini alfredo is his favorite food.

I don't know about your situation, Mizal, but I hope you're able to make the rent/find new employment :((

4 years ago
Money situation was kind of strained the last couple months already for reasons, so this was really bad timing. But I'm renting from my aunt so I won't get thrown out, and I've got plenty of groceries so I'm not worried about anything, I'm better off right now than a lot of people.

I don't know what the hell omurice is. Speak English.

4 years ago

I am sorry this happened to you, Mizal. Hopefully, you can find places that are still hiring. I would think that is possible, since companies still have to function. You also might be able to find companies or jobs that function mostly online. I know there are a lot of different opportunities out there, and that you are resourceful. I wish you the best of luck, or that you have a relaxing break until the world calms down. Just don't look for work as a tester for beta cures... 

4 years ago

Omurice = Omelet Rice. Basically an omelet filled with fried rice. Wataru showed me how to make it and I have it at least once a week.

Just like, 2 eggs and then some milk get all swirshed together and ya make it all thin in the pan. Before it's totally cooked, ya put the cheese sort-of-not-quite in the middle, along with the rice.

For the fried rice, cook up whatever vegitables you want with whatever meat you want, and then dump the rice in with the sauce. The sauce I use is usually just soy sauce with ketchup. Some people dont use any sauce, and that's a sin. Mix until your once pure, ivory rice is properly tainted and then spoon that shit sort-of-not-quite in the middle with the cheese. The egg part shouldnt be fully cooked in the middle still, just around the edge. Then you wip out a plate and do a little wrist gymnastics to slide the omelet off the plate, kinda flipping it over so it looks like a burrito. You can cheat and shape it like that with a paper towel after. You dirty scoundrel you.

Then you're supposed to make a totally adorable design with ketchup on top, but normally my ketchup container splorts all over the place so I just do a squiggle... 

It's super duper simple. Eat it. Join my cult. Omu Omu.

4 years ago
Actually I have made the plain Japanese omelettes with the soy sauce in them before, and I have scrambled eggs with leftover fried rice. Can't really eat eggs often anymore though, it's very sad because I love them.

4 years ago

Aw what? That's really unfortunate. Is it like an allergy or something?

I really can't stand normal diner omelettes you get at like a Don's or something. It's not hard to make an omelette flavorful, and yet somehow they mess up. It must be pre-cracked eggs in those cartons.

4 years ago
Well good news, it didn't end up being the dramatic sudden unemployment it looked like it would be yesterday. I'm still getting 12 hours across three days so that's....something? Better than nothing anyway.

I can probably stretch it to 15 if we continue having to restock literally the entire store every Thursday like we did today.

The only problem is just...Thursdays are bad y'all. I have to be in close proximity to two women I have dubbed Arkansas Bitch and Motormouth Mania. They're gossipy chain smoking harpies with assorted undiagnosed brain problems, genuinely unpleasant, and each insufferable enough in their own special way to drive anyone that has to listen to their nattering menopausal meangirl bullshit to thoughts of homicide even when it's just one of them at a time. On Thursday mornings they're both there at 5am to combine for a combo attack on my sanity, and hoo boy this is going to be a fun month.

4 years ago

I am glad you have work! Remember, duct tape fixes most problems! Also, social distancing was implemented to help with your chatty coworker problem!

4 years ago

My college is switching to online classes for the rest of the semester and we have to move back home by this Sunday. It’s stressful and upsetting and I can’t wait for everything to go back to normal. I can’t do art in a stuffy bedroom. :~(

4 years ago

I am sorry for your pain, and for the loss of the art! Online classes are hard for music and art students... not sure if you are actually majoring in art, although I am sure you could, but I know a music major who is not liking the move to online coursework. 

4 years ago

That's super difficult. A lot of my uni friends are talking about how they have to move back because the dorms are shutting down, it's a real problem.

All I can say is that if you can, don't work in your bedroom. Do your art in the living room or something. If you can't do that, at least keep a rigid schedule and a clean room. It helps you not go crazy.

When doing long art shut-ins, I get dressed all cute as I would if I was going out, eat breakfast and then work. If I'm in pajamas, I screw around too much.

4 years ago

Haha, thanks. I’ll have to do that! I’m going to try and carve out my own makeshift workspace at home for the time being. :~)

4 years ago
When you get set up and in the mood to draw again I hope we get to see the dramatic reenactment of you doing that. Literally. Like with a knife.

4 years ago

Haha, will do!

4 years ago
Getting up and getting dressed like you're going to work and not being lazy over breakfast really is good advice for getting and staying on task, no matter what you're trying to get done around the house.

I'm glad you can have this chat with MHD, because when she starts implying being alone in a room with no distractions is 'a bad thing' she just loses me. I'm so confused.

I do wonder how many students are going to struggle with online classes though, because it seems like it really would be difficult to focus and motivate yourself when at home and alone with your computer. Location and your surroundings plays such a big part in that and the inclination when at home is to putter around and relax, it's not easy to mentally switch gears to serious working time.

4 years ago

I certainly don't mind being alone and distractionless! I just need lots of sunlight and a nice big workspace too (I'll miss you, workbench!) which I don't have at home. :~\

4 years ago

They didn't ban the outdoors or sunshine! Try taking a sketch book to a park bench :) just don't sit right next to someone.

4 years ago
Eww, sunlight.

4 years ago

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about online classes.  I get a grace period of two weeks before they start instead of spring break, but once that's over, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.  I already procrastinate everything till the last minute when I don't have time to do it in class, which has lead to many late Sunday nights.  If everything is that way, I might just be screwed.  I don't even have the looming threat of getting myself kicked out of the program I'm in to keep me from giving up, because I don't really even have a high school to go back to now that it's closed.  (I basically got to take all my classes at the local college instead of doing a normal senior year). 

Out of all four years, this one has been the best schooling wise.  I've actually made friends, and I'm not miserable every time I get to school.  Yeah, it's been hard, but it's certainly better than spending every day getting my soul sucked by public high school. I was finally getting somewhere, and now it's over.  It kinda sucks.

4 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that! However, try using it as motivation to do well in school so you can go to college and get back into the life style you liked! 

4 years ago

Thanks.  I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I feel like giving up.

4 years ago

Meanwhile professors here have probably retreated into their secret bunkers somewhere, idk. They've just disappeared, and nobody is able to contact them.

Our end semester exams were supposed to be on 28th March, and I hope they postpone it cause there's a lot of syllabus remaining. But idk, they probably expect us to be geniuses and still give the exam online, and to finish the syllabus ourselves. (Because they've done that before)

4 years ago
I heard exams in the UK were cancelled. They're just using predicted grades, which seems like it would cause a riot among all the kids failing who were totally just about to turn things around.

Maybe they'll do the same thing in India.

4 years ago

They've already done that with peeps in highschool, since their final exams were supposed to be like a week ago. Even the entrance exams for Medicine and Engineering are postponed, I think. Thing is, even if the overall percentage of all exams of any year in school is enough to pass, we're demoted if we fail any of the individual exams. So it really doesn't make a difference as there are no chances of 'turning things around' anyway.

Problem comes with universities, since I'm gonna be so pissed if they decide to repeat this semester and waste almost 4 months of mine. I would much rather give the exam by preparing myself. But I'm so sure that they're gonna just make us repeat the whole semester again.

4 years ago
90% of CYStians have terrible parents and so you guys all having to return to them sucks extra hard, this whole thing is a mess.

I feel really bad for Coins and Shouja too, they *can't* go home so they're stuck going crazy(-er) in their empty dorms.

I hope you can figure out a good solution for doing your art, that's got to be frustrating.

4 years ago

I'm glad that at least Ayame and a few others are still here, so we can keep each other company. Still there's a stupid rule that says that no more than 4 people can congregate together in any public area, so we're just stuck playing board games in my room. Even though the basketball court is deserted and just beckoning me to come and play :(

That sucks MHD, let's hope this thing blows over for y'all soon, and we can get back to our normal routines.

4 years ago

Just turn basketball into a turn based game. Draw a grid pattern on the ground and then pick starting locations (preferably marked with an object). Once the game starts, everyone waits separately for their turn. On your turn you may enter the court and move one space, try to steal the ball, shoot the ball, and/or pass the ball. Stealing requires you to be within one space. Shooting is an unguarded jump shot from where your player is currently located. Passing automatically transfers the ball to a teammates location (unless a defender is between you and them, in which case they intercept). Multiple actions may be taken in a turn; however, you can only use one of each action.

I give you the best turn-based strategy game for people who can jump: Basketball.

4 years ago
Just play four square.

4 years ago

Ahh, this would be smart. 6-square would be against the rules though.... and 6-square is better.

4 years ago

I actually kinda want to try this now.

4 years ago

Lol that sounds very creative. I've gotta try this, thanks Shadow! Maybe we can make this a regualr thing too seeing how this won't break the 4 people rule

4 years ago

Haha, I am glad the idea was well received! It should be interesting... If anyone tries it, let me know if it works! I love board games, so it might make basketball better for me!

4 years ago

Well, I figured I should post my own situation. My work just issued an order to work from home until further notice. We were doing rotations with half the staff at home and half in the building, but they are going more extreme now. They literally told us we can take whatever we want from the office to work from home effectively (later they added a caveat that said "anything within reason.")

Also, apparently the government is forcing some business to close/stop work for awhile. This will not happen to my company since we are considered exempt from stopping production for the following three reasons:

- we are in the critical manufacturing sector

- we are in the defense industrial base sector

- we are in the transportation systems sector

I did not realize our production floor was so critical to the nations infrastructure... though we are a government supplier so it makes sense. If the zombie apocalypse does break out, we will want our building running.

4 years ago

Well, at least you Americans seem to have things somewhat under control. Over here the official plan is just to wait it out until all the old people die. Saves lots of money on heating bills. ^_^

4 years ago

Where are you living at Briar? And I've seen that video going around, haha

4 years ago
The Republic of Tea and Crumpets.

4 years ago

Oh, that's a fun way of saying it! I hope you and your loved ones are healthy!

Also, I am a fan of tea but have no idea what a crumpet is. I know the world is ending; however, this is more important. What are crumpets and what do they taste like?

4 years ago
Uhh... Well, it's kind of hard to explain. It's a kind of sweet bread, sort of like a bagel, but the texture is all different. Crumpets are more like... I think the best way to describe them is they're like a cross between an English muffin and a pancake. Puffy like a muffin, but chewy like a pancake. We eat them with jam. They taste yummy. ^_^

4 years ago

Glorified biscuits?

4 years ago
No. Biscuits are crunchy. Crumpets are squishy. ^_^

4 years ago

Yeah a biscuit in the land of tea and crumpets as what we call a "cookie" in the land of disjointed states

4 years ago
Pfft. Barbarians. In our far more civilized land, a biscuit requires chocolate chips before it is granted the converted rank of "cookie"

4 years ago

Hey now, we can be sophisticated. We call buns rolls and avoid savory pies.

4 years ago

There are digestive chocolate chip biscuits here. Taste delightful when dipped in tea. All that spicy tea flavour when absorbed in a sweet chocolate chip digestive biscuit is just a marvelousl rendition of flavours!

4 years ago
Why would you call it something that unappetizing. Sounds like it's for incontinent old people.

Anyway, nice to see Briar back.

4 years ago
Though I did sneeze a minute ago, so I'll probably be dead by the end of the week, I'm afraid. :(

4 years ago

That sounds wonderful! It is also the best description I have ever gotten! Thank you! :)

4 years ago

As tragic as this virus' panic is, there is a bright side to all this: flights (that haven't been grounded) are hella cheap. I mean, I could fly across America and back for under $300! If I had a reason to fly, anyway.

Plus, the airports would be practically empty; if everyone avoids a place they'd deem crowded, then there would be nobody to crowd the place!

4 years ago

There are a lot of silver linings to look at. The aviation world is being hit pretty hard though. It is already a boom and bust industry, and Boeing was already struggling... some people are nervous about what happens if this travel ban lasts as long as they say. My company has heard projections as high as 18 months.

4 years ago

Yeah, I see what you mean. Air travel is already unstable when the world isn't grounding all flights. If something isn't done soon, I'm worried that countless workers will be out of a job. Until the next economic boom, anyway.

4 years ago

Sad, but true.

4 years ago
What do you do again?

4 years ago

Me? I'm an aerospace engineer working in aviation hydraulics.

4 years ago
Interesting... I'm in aerospace and defense procurement.

4 years ago

Really? What a small world. If you buy components, you might buy from my company.

4 years ago
Indeed, there's quite a few amazingly functional and successful autists on this site, I'm really impressed.

4 years ago
Shadow, you need to write the dang review and get yourself back into the server, I want to get you, Chef, and ninja started on designing the CYS Action Jet.

We already have a van and will eventually have a submarine, we need to collect the whole set in time for the apocalypse.

4 years ago
It just so happens I know a story that could use a review.

4 years ago

Ahh, I do owe you several reviews! I want to get to all of your games. I was going to read the new one first! I also tried to con a new person into reading it by doing this!

4 years ago

Yeah, Chef is a technician, right? So he could fix all of my mistakes and make me look better... hmm...

I am not on discord at all right now, it was taking up too much time because I am distracted easily. Designing a CYS Jet does sound cool!

4 years ago
You got banned with everyone else for the new year just fyi. You will have to follow the application procedure in the new thread when you do want to rejoin.

4 years ago

Sounds good!

4 years ago

I've got some spare graph paper, a lot of pencils, and a quarantine to sit though.  We'll see.  I'm no engineer though, so the design is gonna be a major issue.

4 years ago

We will figure it out! I am sure it will be close enough...

4 years ago

These are stressful times, that's for sure. I just want to see how people handle the regular enjoyable entertainment in life when, assuming so, it does return by (hopefully) June. After my mother died I decided to move up to Long Island New York to be with my remaining family last August. I cant believe the chaos and the stress in every day life. I got a job here and were considered essential so I'm grateful to still be making money. At first I thought I would go stir-crazy but it doesn't seem like that, at least for now

4 years ago
Hey again.

New York is not a great place to be for this one for sure, but glad you're doing okay and still able to work.

Honestly if not for money concerns, and if not for so many people having families that suck, a lot of things about this is the ultimate nerd fantasy. Stay home with your computer all day and avoid human contact and not have people on your ass about it? Living the dream, baby.

Extroverts must really be suffering right now but hey, fuck those guys.

4 years ago

Thanks, yes. New York is swarmed with cases of covid-19 and it's not slowing down yet, my sport fanatic friends and other film friends like me are so upset with nothing to record and nothing to watch but hey, it will being a better value to life in the end, I guess?

3 years ago
Have I seen your selfie somewhere on here, @mr.xcentrix ?

4 years ago

Meanwhile on CoG...

Lol.

4 years ago
Hope they find a time machine or at least a cryopod somewhere so they can come crawling back to post again a thousand years from now like all the pathetic abused housewives there do.

4 years ago

they need to sack up, the game dont sound any worse than Plague Inc, & im pretty sure several people from CoG were beating off to that game with the feeling of world domination 

4 years ago
It sounds like a lame rip off more than anything.

I don't understand people getting offended about it considering it sounds like a clone of a (more popular than ever) game that already exists, but that was either a weak trolling attempt or a direct copy of the idea so that guy sucks too.

4 years ago

maybe but they still seem to have a stick up thier ass about a concept that has proven popular enough to be made into a game with several add-ons

4 years ago
This just in: It sucks.

Like 2/8 writing at best.

Taking the thread down instead of letting the stir crazy stuck at home community tear him a new one was the most boring response possible though. Maybe Eiwynn will be by later to explain why COG moderation style is so unfun.

4 years ago

I like how it's tagged "nonbinary-inclusive"... Because you don't need titties or a dick to wipe out all of humanity. ^_^

4 years ago
So Iran seems pretty fucked. I think they may actually be the only country so far with a completely uncontrolled spread.

It was pretty obvious two weeks ago:

The situation the doctors describe is desperate, with nurses wrapping themselves in tablecloths because they have long since run through their supply of proper gear. They swear that the official numbers are wrong. “Just stay overnight in the hospital to find out what I'm talking about,” one wrote. Or if you want to live, go home, and don’t come out until the plague passes. “[Our] society now needs fear more than hope.”

...and it just got exponentially worse from then. Weird that Italy has been getting all the 'lol they're fucked' coverage and attention from the media, although I guess a part of that came from Italy being honest about the numbers. That article breaks down a lot of estimated numbers on Iran that experts had at the time, and if anything they may have been way too conservative.

Now of course you'll likely hear about it more since more mainstream media dug up a way they could blame Trump for this thing they didn't really care about at all before.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/how-iran-became-a-new-epicenter-of-the-coronavirus-outbreak This was back in February.

Instead of closing down public sites, a measure that public-health experts have taken in other countries, the head of the shrine in Qom called on pilgrims to keep coming. “We consider this holy shrine to be a place of healing. That means people should come here to heal from spiritual and physical diseases,” Mohammad Saeedi, who is also the representative of Iran’s Supreme Leader in Qom, said in a video. Cases traced back to Iran have been reported in Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Canada, Georgia, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, and the United Arab Emirates. Many of these cases have been linked specifically to visits to Qom.

So yeah they may have basically taken down the entire Middle East. I don't really understand, maybe everyone was taking turns licking the shrine, but good job guys. You may have done what a lot of people have wanted for awhile now. Hell, you even managed to get Canada!

Anyway, the situation seems pretty hellish in Qom especially since they were digging mass graves already just a couple of weeks ago, but tradition is obviously huge in that country and at least they're now finally getting around to shutting down their New Years travel between cities and large gatherings in parks.

Of course they may have just peaked early, to be fair things could easily get as bad in the US due to people still continuing to be idiots. Lots of college kids still swarming the beaches in Florida who will turn around and visit Grandma for Easter, and there are still some churches open even though the internet exists and there's literally no reason to be gathering in one place to hear a guy give a Bible based pep talk.

April is going to be an interesting month for the world. It'd be really nice if everyone could just drop the political posturing for a bit and focus on what matters. Like not going crazy from close proximity to your family, and pretending to write while actually playing Stellaris for half a week straight.

4 years ago
Oh and also,

The Coronavirus is a Disaster for Feminism

Because "women's rights" as a social concept can't hold up to having to actually take care of your spawn and involve yourselves in their lives and such. But, who could have ever predicted a need to do such a thing upon deciding to have a child? You heard it at The Atlantic first, folks, it's all over.

4 years ago

... Because this is the REAL issue right now. Well, I guess I better get to work on pressing my boyfriends shirts for the job he isn't going to and baking him a delicious home-made apple pie with the ingredients that no one can get. So long feminism! It was fun while it lasted. ^_^

4 years ago

Oh, someone brought up feminism. I think (redacted). This virus (deleted) feminism. Also, I think that women should (removed for authors own safety). Long story short, (censored by feminist organizations).

4 years ago
Well, I now know two unrelated people in two states that have it.

Just wondering who here on CYS doesn't already know anyone personally who has it?

4 years ago

I don't. Weird, I thought the U.K. was fucking up harder than you guys.

4 years ago
I don't know anyone who has it yet, but I suspect there's going to be a pretty significant small town/big city divide on this one.

4 years ago

I live in a more city/suburb area, yet I don't know anyone with it. To be fair, I'm not checking Facebook to see who has it or anything. I just haven't been invited to any funerals.

4 years ago

I feel like I'm somewhere in between small town and big city.  We've got a whole downtown area, but at the same time, we're still pretty small compared to, say, New-York.  Last I checked, we've only got one or two cases, so it should be interesting to see how this pans out.

3 years ago
In ND. None IRL.

3 years ago
Other than me myself, nobody I know of either. Quite surprising though, since the population density of my city is off the charts lol.

4 years ago

And just incase anyone wants a break from all the depressing, doom and gloom, end of the world stuff...

4 years ago
Lol, since when is it depressing to think about the world ending?

4 years ago
Oh yeah, I forgot. It's CYS. ^_^

4 years ago
I've been sewing spikes into leather armor for months now. The only real difficulty will be in acquiring a more intimidating car.

4 years ago

Just wait till society completely collapses, then take one from a car dealership.  I'm guessing that's where people get them in zombie movies.

4 years ago

As long as you can get access to the keys. Hotwiring is not a thing in new cars... well, it can be done, but it is way more difficult. So you would need to play key roulette at a dealership.

4 years ago

This guy seems to be reacting to this pretty much the same way we have here on CYS.

4 years ago

Quick update: we've got five confirmed cases of the 'rona in my workplace, most of which are people I know and interact with regularly.  So I'm screwed.

4 years ago
Can you get tested?

And will they let you quarantine at home, or are they sweeping you guys off into facilities still?

4 years ago

Can't get tested until I have all of the symptoms, apparently, otherwise we'd all be getting tested.  And they should allow us to quarantine at home, with any luck.  Nobody I know is in a facility.

4 years ago

F

4 years ago
I'm really struggling to find the motivation to drag myself to the car to go to work a few hours after almost a full week of sleeping whenever and playing video games....

Oh right, money. Money is the motivation. Well see you all in a few hours I guess.

4 years ago
A supermarket in Pennsylvania had to throw out $35k worth of food because some nasty little bitch thought it would be "funny" to deliberately cough all over it.

I know vigilante justice or police brutality is not a thing you usually want to encourage, but there should be exceptions allowed to every rule.

4 years ago

Seems like she's got some sort of mental illness, judging from the article.  That she's considered a "chronic problem" in the community is interesting; must be a smaller town for her to be that well known.

4 years ago
Well, it just said the police were aware of her, not necessarily "the community" as a whole.

4 years ago
LMAO, charged terroristic threats and causing evacuation of a building. She was actually YELLING that she had the virus and was going to make everyone sick. And if you read the scrolling news thingy at the bottom they just had someone in their town die of it, PA has been hit pretty hard in general so for all she it anyone else knows she does really have it.

4 years ago
Always nice to see a story with a happy ending. ^_^

4 years ago
Another idiot arrested in Missouri for filming himself going around licking things in a store. I hope the 15 minutes of internet notoriety was worth it. And apparently these fuckstains trying to get viral videos going have even resorted to licking toilet seats on planes. They should all get AIDS and mouth herpes. (Not from the toilet seat I mean, but from the other prisoners.)

4 years ago

The whole licking toilet seats thing seems like the tide pod challenge all over again.  Now that the media is talking about it, you'd better believe more idiots are gonna follow suit.

4 years ago
Man, that hasn't been cool since Sid Vicious injected random toilet water into his veins with his heroine needle that one time.

3 years ago
Here's a useful live dashboard for anybody who wants to watch the world crumble bit by bit: COVID dashboard Yankland's skyrocketing into first place, or last place I suppose. My thoughts go out to all you Americans on the site- I hope you stay healthy. One of the things that stands out to me about this whole ordeal is how strange a time it is. Nobody in living memory remembers a proper pandemic, and it's evident just from how different it feels to walk around on the streets (uh, not that I'm doing too much of this). Let's hope this all blows over at least within the next 3-6 months.