Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Music recommendations thread

7 years ago

Hey lads lets have a thread of music recommendations, post anything to do with the kind of music you like; be it favorite albums, genres you like or an artist you think is cool and I'll try to recommend you similar stuff or new and exciting things that i think you'll like.

Heres my stuff

Top 10 Albums atm (in no order);

• Ben Webster - Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson
  • Black Mountain Transmitter - Black Goat of the Woods
  • Can - Future Days
  • Cult of Fire - Ascetic Meditation Of Death
  • The Drones - I See Seaweed
  • Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
  • NoMeansNo - Dance of the Headless Bourgeoisie
  • Simo Lazarov - The City
  • Talking Heads - Remain in Light

My favourite genres would probably be black metal, thrash metal, noise rock, jazz fusion, post-rock and singer-songwriter stuff

7 years ago

Ooh! Try DragonForce and Papa Roach!

7 years ago

Ey DragonForce is good fucking fun, if you like them check out Cirith Ungol and Warlock, Papa Roach isnt really my thing if im being honest.

7 years ago

DragonForce is amazing xD and I love Warlock, though I haven't listened to Corinth Ungol. Which song of theirs would you recommend I listen to?

Papa Roach...hmm, I only listen to "Scars", "Last Resort", and "Between Angels and Insects." I really like these songs for some reason xD

Ever heard of Tool or Disturbed? Or Seether? How about System Of a Down? 

Arch Enemy and Killswitch Engage are really good as well. 

Jeez. Never realized how many songs I have on my Spotify xD

Sorry XD I really like music.

7 years ago

Yeah i know them, Tool and System of a Down are alright, I don't really like Nu-Metal or Metalcore so im not really into the other bands, though if you have songs by them that you think would change my mind then share them.

As for Cirith Ungol i dont know an individual song but my favourite album is One Foot in Hell so i guess just listen to that.

7 years ago

I checked out them out, thought DragonForce was okay, but I really like Papa Roach. So far, my favorites would be Falling Apart for it's instrumentals and Hollywood Whore for it's lyrics and hilarious music video.

7 years ago

Oh! I forgot about those! Yes, Hollywood Whore is great.

7 years ago

I actually prefer parodies rather then songs, such as this one.

https://vimeo.com/88534546

7 years ago

Minecraft Parodies? :o

7 years ago

Mainly minecraft, yeah.

7 years ago

Search out "Hyperdream Studio Minecraft Parody". Also, look at GizzyGazza's parody of Sing. :P

Then there's always ThnxCya's stuff xD

....yep, my music taste is weird.

7 years ago

Oh! That's a good one.

My favorite is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwwl9jiJ1A4

And it's an original one.

7 years ago

I've been listening to this on loop recently.

7 years ago

Dear god that is funky, you like the Talking Heads?

7 years ago

THIS IS NOT MY BEAUTIFUL HOUSE!

7 years ago

THIS IS NOT MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!

7 years ago

Pink Season is out and I've been listening to it non-stop. Shit's fucking fire.

7 years ago

That Goofy's trial skit is hilarious not even gonna lie.

7 years ago

Oh yeah, that's why I love you.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Im usually dont really like EDM but that Kevin MacLeod track i actually really enjoyed so thanks for sharing!

Maybe listen to Kidkanevil - My Little Ghost (the album not the song), but its downtempo so im not sure if youd like it.

Definitely check out Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Shapes, its awesome D&B

7 years ago

Don't have the time to finish both the albums, but for the kidkanevil one, I found the first one too minimalistic, but the second and third one were pretty good in an abstract way.

I didn't like the first one for Squarepusher, but Tundra was fantastic, gave me the chills.

Thanks for recommending me these albums!

7 years ago

Hey man no problem, definitely keep listening to the Squarepusher one, it really grows on you. :)

7 years ago

Tears for Fears is too upbeat for the song

It's all about Gary Jules yes

7 years ago

Eh, I prefer the upbeat music with the depressing lyrics, comes closer in meaning to manic depression, which is what the lyrics are supposed to represent instead of depression. I still like the Gary Jules' version though.

7 years ago

Somehow, when Gary Jules and his superdepressive beat with überdepressive lyrics comes up, I feel happy. It is like those cartoon jokes where someone goes like 'it could be worse' and it starts raining and he gets mugged.

7 years ago

Personally, I find it more relaxing than comical.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Ay Mastodon's great, Leviathan would be my fave album by them.

I actually havent listened to much Opeth, what albums would you recommend?

You like Sleep or Electric Wizard?

7 years ago

I'm not big into extreme metal, so I'd say Sorceress. If you like the growls I'd recommend Deliverance.

Doom and Stoner's not my thing. It's boring.

7 years ago

Fair enough man, i only really like the more psychedelic side of Doom and Stoner i agree the slower stuff can be a bit boring, I mostly listen to stuff without clean vocals so I'll probably check out Deliverance then , thanks for the rec.

7 years ago

I like lyrics/intelligible vocals first and foremost.

7 years ago

Lol fair enough man, maybe check out Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa, the lyrics are nothing amazing imo but its an incredible vocal performance

7 years ago
If you could recommend me someone similar to Eluveitie, I will follow you to death!

7 years ago

Hmmm i cant think of anything super similar as I don't listen to a lot of folk metal but try these albums;

Falkenbach - Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri

Cult of Fire - Ascetic Meditation of Death (this is metal mixed with traditional Indian/Hindu music rather than traditinal European music but its great)

Also Kamni - A.T.O.M is a mix of really psychedelic stoner metal with a bunch of eastern European traditional instrumentation

Let me know what you think! :)

7 years ago

I like owl city and music more relaxing. Never been a big fan of metal or rap.

7 years ago

Lorde

7 years ago

My newest favorite metal band is Ghost B.C. My favorite songs from them are Square Hammer and Cirice. Definitely check them out! (If the demonic Pope is your thing.)

7 years ago

Ayyy Ghost is awesome fun, From the Pinnacle to the Pit is definitely my favourite, Cirice would still be top 5 though

Did you hear the theory that the Dave Grohl was the drummer at a bunch of their live shows? cool if its true

7 years ago

Not exactly a recommendation, but I randomly heard this song on one of those radio stations that plays the odder stuff recently and now I can't get the song out of my head.

And now I give this gift to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3ISgeCvqQ

7 years ago

Thats a helluva something aint it

7 years ago
I like a lot of Franz Ferdinand's stuff.

7 years ago

All for you Sophia is my favorite from them.

7 years ago

I love Carly Rae Jepsen. My favorite song EVER is her song "I Really Like You."

7 years ago

Mmm! I really like bo en, Kero Kero Bonito, tofubeats, lullatone, Spazzkid...That stuff is nice to study to. And catchy! I also like JRabbit and gesu otome + indigo la end. The main vocalist is great. The resonance in his tone is A+++

I've taken a liking to Stuart Murdoch's God Help The Girl album and I did the title song for my choir final. I think Belle And Sebastion is real nice... I used to be into okgo (I thought their music videos were cool)

Father Of Mine has been on repeat in my head AND IT WON'T STOP WOW

I grew up listening to a lot of Simon and Garfunkel though.

7 years ago

Ay Gesu Otome is awesome!

Maybe check out The Pillows, theyre not super similar but theyre another cool Japanese soft rock band

7 years ago

Godspeed You! Black Emperor is fantastic. Glad to see them  (him? still not sure) getting some love. 

Anyway I have to contribute Late Registration and The College Dropout. Some of the most beautifully produced albums made by humans.

7 years ago

Have you checked out A Silver Mt. Zion? they're a side project of some of the GY!BE guys and their first two albums are just as good as GY!BE's stuff imo.

Fuck yeah old Kanye is gorgeous man, such a shame his music just gets dismissed as stupid brag rap by some people because of some of the stuff he says in the media. :/

7 years ago

what?

since WHEN were you ever a Yeezy stan (or listened to hip hop in general)? lmao werent you nd iqqih always arguing over him, didn't you hate his guts or something? wtf did i miss?

i kinda feel like ure just joking around. and if so shame on u man. The College Dropout is divine.

but if u arent tryna make a joke or something, i have to agree The College Dropout is def one of the greatest albums made of all time. perfect for blasting on days when u dont feel like giving a fuck about much or you're doing something illegal cuz u cant shine on $6.55. There are far better hip hop albums thatve been made imo (coughIllmaticcough) but its very high up there.

though i dunno about any music other than hip hop though cuz all ive ever listened to was hip hop.

7 years ago

Started listening when TLOP came out. Listened to it a bunch of times and then checked out his other stuff.  The rest is history

7 years ago

What'd you think of 808s and MBDTF?

Also College Dropout or Late Registration? Which is better?

7 years ago

I love MBDTF. 808s is okay, but it's not fantastic. Definitely changed radio-pop for the better, though. 

I feel like Late Registration is what Kanye was trying to accomplish with The College Dropout. He finally had the budget for a proper, rich orchestration and it's awesome. They're both phenomenal albums and you should listen to them both. 

7 years ago

I feel like Late Registration is what Kanye was trying to accomplish with The College Dropout. He finally had the budget for a proper, rich orchestration and it's awesome.

Yeah, I think LR's production is way better, but still find myself preferring CD. 

They're both phenomenal albums and you should listen to them both. 

Oh yeah, dude, I know. I love Kanye's stuff, even 808s which is like the black sheep of his discography (though that thankfully seems to be changing in the last few years).

Edit: Well, I guess I should change that to most of his stuff. Didn't care for The Life of Pablo at all. It's not a bad album, but I think it's his weakest to date (not including Watch The Throne).

7 years ago

Confession time: I kind of liked Watch the Throne. It takes a couple listens but I think I "get" it,  now.  Made in America, Why I Love You and Lift Off are trash, but the rest of the album is decent. I also really like Elly Jackson's hook on That's my Bitch

7 years ago

MBDTF is his best album so far.

7 years ago

Acronym time.

Morbid

Bunny

Deathbattles

Tearing out

Flesh

7 years ago

It's his most celebrated, but I don't know about his best. I think you could make pretty compelling arguments of LR or Yeezus (or even CD) just as well

7 years ago

My top ten albums ever, in no particular order (highly, highly, HIGHLY recommended all of these).

Clarence Clarity - No Now (Glitch Pop)

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca (Art Pop)

J Dilla - Donuts (Instrumental Hip-Hop)

Mitski - Bury Me At Makeout Creek (Indie Rock)

Harlem - Hippies (Garage Rock)

The Ettes - Wicked Will (Garage Rock)

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust (Glam Rock)

Screaming Females - What If Someone Is Watching Their T.V.? (Hard Rock)

Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - Ripley Pine (Indie Folk / Rock)

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (Live Album)

Favorite 2016 albums (ordered from best to least this time, though):

Ty Segall - Emotional Mugger (Garage Rock)

Atlanter - Jewels of Crime (Progressive Pop)

Thao & The Get Down Stay Down - A Man Alive (Indie Pop)

Jeff Rosenstock - Worry (Pop Punk) (DO NOT write this off just because of the genre; it's legitimately great. Ton of bangers)

Zeal and Ardor - Devil Is Fine (Black Metal mixed with Spirituals)

Kate Jackson - British Road Movies (New Wave)

Xiu Xiu - Plays The Music of Twin Peaks (Dark Ambient with a bit of noise rock)

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity (Psychadelic rock)

David Bowie - Blackstar (Art Rock)

Parquet Courts - Human Performance (Indie Rock)

7 years ago
I'm really liking Akdong Musician's Winter right now. I always like their music. I also have a liking for swing and electro-swing so if anyone knows any good ones, please suggest them.

7 years ago

Oh, yeah. The Shins are cool. Port of Morrow is a fucking great album

7 years ago

Well since everyone's story is equal now, enjoy Cystikia's new anthem comrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

Cause no trouble.

7 years ago

Dreamtale, Paddy & The Rats, Bomfunk MC, amongst other artists.