Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I'm not opening the philosophical can of worms that is the meaning of life, just wondering when did a bunch of people decide to spend a lot of time on some random choose your own adventure game website, including myself.

I tried to write a couple of storygames, but ultimately failed because I wasn't in the right mindset.

I made an account because of Ground Zero, but what about you guys? (and gals and furries and transdimensional-psuedogods)

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I was looking for CYOAs when I came across this site. Hanged around the storygames for a year before I finally made an account. And thus, the devil was born.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

You're responsible for the fall of man?! I shoulda known...

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Nostalgia, mostly. This is also as close to making a professional game as I can get right now. Also, I like to write. The answer to why I like to write is longer.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Came here to write. Realized I sucked at writing, stayed because I'm a pillar of the community.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

You do not suck.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Aw thanks Kiel.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Discovered the site years ago. Only came for storygames. But then, created an account for saving. After that... you guys know.

Attempted to make storygames, but somehow I lose interest in making those due to not be appealing enough for me. After several failures and shits happening, I finally found it. Abandoning most of my previous ideas, I switched to new ones. Much better and more efficient to write about.

I'm glad that I'm able to finish four chapters for my current storygame-in progress. Previous ideas? Barely. Now? More effective.

My writing still shit compared to most other members though.

When I'm done with this one, I'll probably either do a sci-fi or WW2 Operation Market Garden with different outcomes.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I still think I am terrible at writing, but whenever I can't sleep, I either read a couple of storygames or work on a couple of pages on one of my various short stories. I was never quite good with art, but with writing, you can always write about whatever. From putting yourself into an exciting fantasy adventure to fucked up smut, you can always find comfort in writing. I hate it whenever someone else reads my work though, you  remember all your mistakes and feel ashamed even though it's fine.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Damn right, it is.

Some people can't handle critics. Some critics are useful, some don't. Just pick the useful ones in your view.

But if you get good enough rating, that's good enough. You won't please everyone, but at least you can please a lot of people.

If your idea might be weird but it works, it's not weird.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I think my older brother told me about it, and I fell in love with these kind of things after playing Necromancer, and that was that.  

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Oh? Is your older bro on CYS?

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Chase is either is brother, or imaginary alter ego who ties him up in basements, I'm not sure which.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Ah, right. I forget about him sometimes.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Somedays, even I'm not sure what the truth is.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Originally made an account here because of Endmaster. I wasn't a very active member for years, just dropping in on and off and then disappearing a couple months, but this place has really grown on me. The atmosphere of the forums is very relaxed, especially compared to the toxic atmosphere of a roleplay site I was wasting all my creative energy at a few months ago before swearing off of it (where I borrowed iavatus and Axiom from) and started spending a lot more time here. Even though most of you are idiots, you're idiots who are chill people and very enthusiastic about writing. Not a socially broken, passive aggressive cunt among you, it's nice. Refreshing. 

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Yes, I also noticed that feeling. It just sort of feels like hanging out with friends you haven't seen in a long time, not rage.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I'd watched a game of D&D by The Yogscast that I really enjoyed, and then started googling other D&D games on YouTube. I was drawn in by the roleplay aspect mostly, and so I got to googling, not even knowing what the Hell roleplay was at the time. I somehow stumbled across here again after finding the site many years ago, and learnt of the Forum Games section. Searching for a simple fantasy RP, I found Legendary, and jumped right in.

The rest be history, m8.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Yeah, my older brother introduced me to computers and games in general. We've fallen out since then, but I still remember when I was 8 playing my first D&D adventure. A few years later, when we moved, we basically just made a RP game over Ventrilo and after that, I was just into the lore of games. That gradually progressed into reading a lot of stuff on this site.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Well, I was looking for a writing site that didn't suck, and this one caught my interest. Played around, glimpsed at a few EndMasterpieces...

And that's how I met your mother.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

_

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Eh?

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Sorry, wrote something I meant for a different comment, edited it because I cant figure out how to delete.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Understandable.

There isn't a delete button, by the way: once you post, you can't remove it.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I get it now.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Well, I was googling for visual novels to play. The phrase I used was "visual story game choose". Oddly enough, one of the first results was Through Time. I didn't read it, but I checked out the website. I found Eternal and loved it. Then, I created an account to finish Through Time's true ending. Then, I published a panned storygame and realized that I could learn a lot by being active here. So, that's my story.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I've been here long enough that I'm here because I'm used to the place & I like the people. I did originally have aspirations of making storygames here, but these days I'd work with either Twine or ChoiceScript rather than deal with the limitations of scripting here.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago
Came here to write, realized my effort is lacking/varies too much, stayed because storygames and forums.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago
I stumbled on the site while looking for text-based games, liked what I saw and wanted to write some of my own.  I don't have the best track record when it comes to finishing what I start, but I'm determined to write something eventually.  The forums are just one of the many procrastination tools that I have in my arsenal...

Why are we all here?

7 years ago
It'll go to the top of my reading list when you do.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago
Thanks.  I'll keep trying...

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Googling "story writing sites" got me here, ultimately making me obsessed with the Warrior Cats franchise when I was younger. Thank goodness I grew out of it.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Is it coincidental that you found this site while loving Warrior Cats? Also, is Warrior Cats popular enough that that is a common coincidence.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Yes, and yes.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I randomly stumbled upon this site and stayed for the banter and when that died out after the " culture shift" i stayed for endmaster's  storys.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

'Banter' is what we're calling it now?

Doesn't that traditionally require some level of wit?

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Sometimes you get a good thread, but usually it turns into a bunch of 12 year olds arguing.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I dunno. Closed my eyes one day and when I opened them again I woke up here.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

It distracts me from real-life concerns. Like the fact that I can't remember being happy.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago
Coffee makes everything better.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Except being hyperactive.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

>Be me
>Be 12
>Write shitty sequel to Cave of Time
>Look for site to post it on
>Find this site
>Make account called 11302
>Copy the story from my notebook to the pages
>Publish it
>Google it because I think I'm famous
>Find actual book that (of course) isn't mine
>Freak out
>Unpublish game (only a handful of people actually read and rated it, and I think most of them are inactive)
>Go offline for a week
>Come back and try writing something that would've ended up being shitty
>Go offline for 4 months
>Come back and delete shitty game
>Lurk around a little bit
>Notice rise of shitty WC fan fictions
>Remember this girl I hated in fifth grade who loved WC
>Post my first thread about WC in the wrong forum
>Slowly but surely become active member of community
>Write shitty summary of why I came here in greentext

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Nah, Chris came because of End, stayed because of me.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

... Maybe.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

<3

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Was brought to this site by Virt/Con, and got hooked on forum games, but I've stayed because of the community. Also found out that I suck at storygames, but I'll try and get something out >_>

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

There were some books I read when I was younger. The books were called, "Choose Your Own Adventure." I really liked them, but I found that I had read all of the good ones. "There must be more somewhere?" That is what I thought. I kind of figured that there must be some place where people posted "books" like the CYOA books. So I went on this thing called Google, and typed in "Choose your own adventure online." First result led me here, and that's how Cinderella escaped the assassination attempt from the three little pigs.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I was idly looking for choose your own adventure games when I found one of the zombie infection ones, then I checked out the site

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Oh shit, red and blue!

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I was looking for text based games because my home internet is absolute shit. I found games like Zork and though type of text based games. Then I found this found it much more enjoyable than Zork and stuck around. Also Ground Zero was a big part of why I made an account although the first game I read on here was The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Ooh! Finally another person who plays IF and...wait, you don't like it?

Oh.

Well okay, fuck you then. :/

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I do like it. I just prefer it here.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

To be fair, Zork is the definition of school, and most classic IF like that is considered pretty cruel by today's standards, as far as playing dirty tricks on the player goes. Modern IF doesn't usually let you lock yourself into a losing ending without fair warning or letting you know immediately afterwards, and things like mazes and the like are rare.

There's so much IF out there though, and the genre's evolved so much since the 80s, it's a subject I could really gush about. I'd make a new thread, if I wasn't so lazy.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I came across this site around the time I was ten-twelve, because I love Goosebumps CYOA and other books like that. I read a few of EndMaster's stories (yes, a ten year old reading Love SICK). As you can guess, I was pretty scarred. Ended up making a few different accounts when I was around that age, made like, two-three storygames. Eventually became an actual member under the name Slasher a few years ago, I think.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Glad you clarified your old name again, because I keep getting you confused with Shadow Strider.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Haha. Looking back, I should've went with Slashy, but what's done is done.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

I'm here because I was on Figment as a writer, and then one of this site's users posted chooseyourstory's URL there. I'm going to slowly remove myself from Figment. Completely. I'm a published author through Kindle Press, and Figment users use that as a weapon. I thought I had removed all mention of my professional name and works, but apparently not. If I post something someone doesn't like, then I get vaguely threatening replies mentioning my novels on Amazon. I've already gotten a poor review, years ago from someone on Figment who didn't like me due to the fact that I necroposted, as a newbie, before I knew what it was. It sucks that I can't have a presence online separate from my professional one on Figment without completely deleting my profile and starting over, because people are vindictive and petty.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Sorry to hear that. I thought Figment was nice, but my view changed after witnessing all of that shit.

Anyway, I welcome you to this community.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Thanks. Yeah, a lot went down that was completely juvenile and unnecessary. I wish there was a Facebook for writers, where we could gather and engage, but keep our profiles and such private and block those who aren't worth the time.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Yeah. Fucking dumbasses who only make things worse are everywhere. Their posts... they disgusted me. More immature and idiotic than my little cousin...

Anyway, you can hit me up or other people if you ever need any help.

Why are we all here?

7 years ago

Hmmm~ Well I always used to be intrigued by cyoa styled stories as a little girl. Sadly the genre itself was quite niche, so stories were hard to come by. Thanks to the Internet and a quick google search I stumbled upon many sites such as this (Infinite story being the first.) Unfortunately, that site became inactive before I was finally able to stumble on this one. So far I haven't regretted my decision on joining this community. I used to be content with just reading the content this site offered, but everything else seems to be just as intriguing to me now.