Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

let's play Lost Coastlines

one year ago
Jump to latest thread update. --11/16 All right, so this year's IFComp games have been released. There's about 70 games, you can browse them here: (update: voting over, go away). Hell you can even vote if you spend five minutes skimming though at least five of them, it's the usual system they always use that rewards the lazy and punishes people who write actually complicated and impressive games. I haven't looked at any of them yet, but the norm is that a third of them will be low effort and linear Twine "games" that can be read in five minutes anyway and don't provide enough text for a more discerning player to even wipe their ass with. And it seems the trend after the last few years of being buried in low effort chaff is that a lot of the more serious business authors have started to peel away to other contests. But that's neither here nor there, and the point of this thread is that now we can finally play Lost Coastlines! It's by William Dooling, same guy who wrote Skybreak and Tingalan. (@Will11 actually wrote a storygame about one of his family members it turns out.) I've been helping to test Lost Coastlines on and off along with Nightwatch, Cricket, and PerforatedPenguin. It's a fuckoff huge procedurally generated text RPG where you sail a ship in the world of a dream. Like Skybreak this is all going to be about choosing an option in each location and having some kind of metal adventure there, but navigation is much more straightforward; each world and various points of interest are generated at the start, and from there it's up to us to uncover the map and figure out good trade routes and etc. A big part of the challenge is the recurring nightmares that will start to crowd the dream, blocking off certain valuable location types until we overcome them. (Through collecting better gear, increasingly skills and just generally becoming more chadly and amazing.) It's actually difficult to "lose" although things can get pretty tough. Having your ship sunk is not a gameover however, so it's fine to take risks. And you can end the game at any time, but winning is all about managing the dream, ultimately we must make sure that feelings of Pleasance (also the main currency) outweigh negative emotions like Sadness, Madness, Fury, and Worry by the time we wake up. Anyway, I'm about to play through the tutorial and then I will take votes and arguments on where to go from there. I'm not sure what exact shape this LP will take, if I'll stop for every single vote or just the important ones with you guys giving general directions on playstyle. We can just wing it though and see how it goes. You can also download the game and the runner for it here to try it out yourself. (No, it is not a virus. Small obscure program that launches small executable game file, Windows Defender unfortunately sees that and thinks it's got more STDs than your mother does, but that is not the case. That is actually impossible! ^_^) And I'm serious, download it don't try the online runner, it's a janky barely functional mess. (But an open source janky barely functional mess, so Mazdark is working to fix it.) And honestly even if you don't think you'll play it yourself, go ahead download the tiny 2mb game file anyway to push it up past some miscellaneous trash to the Most Downloaded list. It doesn't take much. If you are using a Mac and you aren't a literal clueless child who relies on equally clueless parents for computers, you're SOL since ADRIFT is older than CYS is. But you're also repulsive subhuman trash and I don't even want to hear your whining. I mean...I'm not referring to Endmaster obviously. He can use whatever operating system he wants and...yeah.... Anyway! Update to follow soon. And just a note, if you want to follow this thread but have to use a screenreader...well you need to TELL me this because otherwise parts of this may end up pretty screenshot dependent for convenience.

one year ago
Character creation is a little more straightforward here than in Skybreak. There are only four simple questions. Don't worry about what the encounter symbols mean right now, although some might be obvious. There aren't any wrong answers here, but choices will flavor a lot of what's to come.
You are Falling Asleep... You drift along the sublime, and slightly terrifying border between this world and another...perhaps you should GO TO SLEEP. Where did you fall asleep? (This choice will make certain types of encounters more common, and give you a bonus on those encounters) * On a BOAT, rocking peacefully in the waves (~) * In a TENT, surrounded by the sounds of the wilderness (^) * Somewhere dark and slightly SPOOKY (#) * The night before a very important INTERVIEW (&) * Safe and warm beside the person you LOVE (=) * On a cold WINTER's night (*) * In CLASS (%) * While watching a MOVIE (!)
Drifting off... As is customary, you are permitted to bring one thing into the dream with you, from the waking world. What shall it be? * A deck of tarot CARDS * An old-fashioned sleeping BAG * A TELESCOPE that has been in your closet for years * A stuffed ANIMAL that protects you from nightmares * A MASK that has caused more than a few nightmares * A LOCKET from a lover lost long ago * A BOOK you read in childhood * Your lucky rabbit's FOOT * Your father's TIE * Your mother's Pocket KNIFE * Your grandfather's walking STICK * Your grandmother's stamp COLLECTION * A vague feeling of DREAD and unease * A RING from your husband * A PEN from your wife * A pair of good SOCKS
Dreaming... "I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sails shaking, And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking." - John Masefield These lines occupy your mind as you drift off to sleep. You are dreaming now. At any time, absolutely any time, you can end the dream by typing WAKE UP.
You drift through a sparkling void, a realm of formless light and shadow. It will take shape soon, before it does, it's worth asking... ...who were you, in the other world? (Type the capitalized word to make a choice). * A FIGHTER for justice, and lost causes * An INTELLECTUAL, with a nimble mind and many talents * An EXPLORER, a lover of nature, and the outdoors * A SCOUNDREL, who cannot be trusted * A DREAMER, always distracted by idle thoughts and fancies
The more interesting question is, of course, what role you will play within the dream. Who do you want to be? * A PIRATE, who hunts the sea-lanes for treasure and adventure * A HERO, destined for mighty deeds and glorious triumphs * A MAGNATE, who pursues schemes for power and profit * A THIEF, who pursues a life of crime and crooked dealings * A SCIENTIST, who studies facts and philosophy * A MYSTIC, who practices secret and forbidden arts
Floating... For a long time...a very long time...you float on tumbling seas of slumber, utter darkness surrounds you. ...and then, a shaft of light. ...and then, another. You are underwater. Rising fast. There is no hurry. This a dream. You will not drown. When you are ready you can break the surface and LET THE DREAM BEGIN (this action may take some time, as it will create a whole world)

one year ago
Boat
Stuffed animal (parrot)
Scoundrel
Pirate

Arr mateys we're heading in.

one year ago

TENT- Could provide useful skills with survival & navigation.  Plus, camping is cool.
SOCKS- Lieutenant Dan put it best:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eobm6s5ASVE
EXPLORER- No reason, just cool.
PIRATE- Seems like it will prompt the most interesting and diverse array of adventures

Glad we're doing this game in the forums!  It's looked like a lot of fun, but I haven't had time to play on my own.  Ahoy!

one year ago
Spooky
Stuffed animal
Explorer
Pirate

Yo ho ho!

one year ago

Hold up... So in this game, I get to be a mighty pirate? Well shiver me timbers and swash me buckles! Sign me up, me hearties! ^_^

1. On a BOAT. Where all mighty pirates belong.

2. A stuffed ANIMAL... Well not exactly stuffed. It's actually a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.

3. A FIGHTER! In fact there are those who say my fighting skills even rival that of a dairy farmer.

4. FLOORING INSPECTOR

one year ago
Spooky, mask, scoundrel, thief

one year ago
Class Cards Dreamer Hero Hm, I was tagged for some reason in this. Either way, seems fun. If I'm not mistaken he was working on this game way back when I was a part of the IF discord server.

one year ago
Lol at wanting to be a faggy hero

one year ago
Where? On a Boat

Take something with me? That’s weird. Oh, right, game. Lucky Rabbit’s Foot

Who was I? An Explorer

Want to be? A Pirate! Always be a pirate!

Oh crap. I feel like I’m last. Well, that’s okay, boat seems to be in the lead anyway. No one else picked a rabbit foot, so I guess that one’s gone. My vote makes 3 for explorer, yay! And that’s four for pirate!

one year ago
All right, we're going with BOAT ANIMAL EXPLORER PIRATE Plundering sea lanes is a passtime one can derive a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction from in this game, and I would expect nothing less from Cystians. >LET THE DREAM BEGIN Oh and how could I forget? You should listen to the Spotify. (And yes that's the first song on it.) And now I'll need a few minutes to get through the tutorial. It's normally optional, but there's a lot of useful info to grill the NPCs about. So just listen to the nice music while I prepare the text dump.

one year ago
The Sea You bob on the surface of the sea, somewhere out past the breakers. Water is cool on your naked skin. The sun is warm upon your face. This place is real...so very real...for now anyway. You are now dreaming. You can end the dream at any time by typing WAKE UP. When you do that, this world will end. But why do that now, when there is so much to see and do?
Okay, so given the option to swim straight to my ship, or swim to shore, I go to the shore for two reasons. First, to cut my way through the terrifying SWUNGLE and then go to a bar to chat up the locals. Inside, we find our drinks will be served by a very special guest:
You climb the rickety steps from the beach to the bar. It's a cozy sort of place, with one wall open to the ocean breezes, the whole place smells faintly of sea grass and pipe smoke. A bartender sits behind the bar, shaking up a cocktail for the bar's only patron: a dour old priestess who gazes serenely out on the sea. You notice, also, that the bartender is Hugh Jackman, an arguably-famous individual you recognize from life. Why are you dreaming of them?
Why indeed?
As you survey the scene, the screen door at the far end of the bar opens with a BANG, so loud it nearly stirs you from slumber. A mysterious fellow, clad all in black, enters, and takes up a seat at the far corner of the bar, where shadows and spiderwebs have gathered. His face is wreathed in a cloud of aromatic pipe-tobacco, and he blows another puff of the sticky-sweet substance into the air as he flips three coins to the bartender from a hand far more like a ragged claw than anything human. They plink, one...after...another...into a cup near a sink below the bar. "My friend deserves a drink." He says to the bartender. "Dreamer, Come and talk with me." He says to you. There are three people you can speak to here, and the order is up to you. You can SPEAK TO THE BARTENDER SPEAK TO THE CLERIC Or SPEAK TO THE MAN IN THE SHADOWS
Well I know where I'm going...
You sidle up to the bar. The bartender smiles as only Hugh Jackman can, and makes you a drink. "Courtesy of the fellow in the shadows." The bartender says, pouring out your drink. "It would be rude not to accept, and those that are rude to the man in the shadows come to a bad end...you owe him a lot." You take a sip of your drink, a dark and stormy made by a clearly gifted individual. "Let's talk about happier things." The bartender says. "I'm Hugh Jackman. I've been a bartender, right here, on this beach, for a decade or more. Where's here? You're in ZAPIRTAZ, my friend, the second-largest known city, after ZULTUSK. I've been all over the MAP: I've sailed the sea lanes between ST. COSMO and ST. BELCHIOR, I've seen the mighty temples of the PORT OF THRONES and the even mightier whaling yards of DAEN. I've crossed the TROPIC OF ZIMBARDEE more times than I can count, even seen the islands along the TROPIC OF ZAEL on one occasion. I've fought alongside the men of SCANT, the women of THE CONDIGN ARCHIPELAGO and the gnomes of HEYURUNDESIFROUD...it's been quite a life. Now I just mix drinks for a living. I'm happy to tell you about any of these places. What I can't tell you, though, is what lies beyond them...this is your dream, after all, and much of the world is unknown.
All right so, you get the gist, we can ask about any of these places, and some of them suggest other places to ask about, and it's just a lot so I'm not copying all that. But the main thing to understand is that any of these locations being referenced, these are PERMANENT locations that will exist in any game. Their place on the map may change but they'll still be be found in the same general areas and in relation to each other.
> zapirtaz Hugh Jackman cleans a glass and explains: "Zapirtaz is a city of a million souls, set within a large natural harbor, on the largest island in THE CONDIGN ARCHIPELAGO. It serves as a major trading hub in the southern seas of the dream, its chief exports are diamonds, its chief import is diamonds too, this being the only place in the south you can buy and sell 'em. You can deal in diamonds, of course, but only with the Condign Diamond Cartel. Folks are afraid of them, and rightly so. They've got their greedy little hands into more than diamonds, I can tell you that." > zultusk Hugh Jackman munches on a cocktail onion and explains: "That's a goblin city, way north, across the tropics of ZIMBARDEE and ZAEL. It's tough place to get to, you understand, lots of ocean in the way for one thing, lots of pirates for another...and of course the city itself is surrounded by leagues and leagues of jungle full of vicious monsters. Still, it's a nice enough place to visit. I went there on my honeymoon, oh so many years ago..."
> zimbardee Hugh Jackman polishes a tumbler and explains: "Most folks around here don't go farther north than the Tropic of Zimbardee. The tropic of Zimbardee demarcates the Southern oceans of the dream from the wilder, unexplored tropics, and the even wilder, more unexplored north. Most of the dream is tropical waters, you understand. Couldn't tell you why. It's your dream after all." > port of thrones Hugh Jackman mixes up another drink and explains: "The Port of Thrones is the home of the gods. A mighty city, ringed with four mountain-sized thrones. The dream-gods actually sat on them in ancienter days, but they've all gone their separate ways now. The Port of Thrones is the center of dream-religion, and its citizens stand opposed to the nightmares and other dark forces that plague the dream. Entham lives there too, for what it's worth. Now *there* is a man you should definitely meet!" > daen Hugh Jackman munches on a cocktail onion and explains: "Daen is a rock in the freezing southern seas, wracked by storms and menaced by floating chunks of ice. No one would live there, but for the abundance of whales. The Daenish Main is full of them, such that Daen has practically no other industry...I do say 'practically,' for there are also pirates and smugglers that run out of Daen. Daen is also the home of a tavern far better than this one. Daen is the site of the Gap of Gew Genning, the only break in the ice and rocks to the seas of the utter South..." > scant Hugh Jackman mixes up another drink and explains: "The home of heroes and bold sailors, Scant is a society controlled by an admiralty, which is itself controlled by a naval commission. The Scantlings took it upon themselves about a century back to clean up all the pirate trouble in the Southern seas of the dream. I can't say they've done a perfect job, but we still owe them a great deal. It's a good destination if you're looking for work. Also a good place to trade: that navy's pricey, and they finance it with a pretty sizable merchant-fleet."
> heyurundesifroud Hugh Jackman cleans a glass and explains: "That's where the gnomes come from. Strange folk to be sure. They've had other cities in their history: Fenyarnunhesmoundesrenarnzannister, of course, before it fell to the Nightmares. Shalmanyundarlazarnot as well, before it was lost due to a mysterious accident. Now the only great gnomic city is the oldest. Heyurundesifroud lies on a frozen lake that opens to the seas south of DAEN, along the Gap of Gew Genning. It is a place full of ancient mystery, wonder and terror: the largest library in the world, for example, and ruins that long predate any civilization I've heard of. Definitely somewhere you should check out. Bundle up!"
fucking gnomes Eternal had the right idea about their kind. All right though, we have milked Hugh Jackman for all he's worth. Let's have a quick chat with the others.
> speak to the cleric The cleric shifts their robes as you approach. "Take a seat." The cleric says, assuming a slightly (oh, so slightly) reverential attitude. "Let's start with the formalities: yes, you are dreaming, and this whole world is the product of your fitful imagination. We are all very grateful you've dreamed the place up. Now, onto the specifics...it's been perhaps twenty thousand years, all told, that dream-history has been unfolding without you. A rather long absence. We were worried...but I knew you'd show up. The dream-gods VATAYA, BAJBUK, COSIA, and MOSLIMBO have cared for the world in your absence. They have a message for you." The cleric removes a shining white scroll from their bag, and reads: "It is said that long ago, there was another dreamer...THE FIRST DREAMER. The first dreamer crossed over every inch of the dream, seeing great sights and doing great deeds, amassing wealth and power, turning back dark forces, taking what they wished, conquering whatever dared stand in their way...and when they had mastered the dream, in its entirety, and all the MAGIC it contained, is said that the first dreamer renounced all their POSSESSIONS. This brought them some measure of peace...but it was not enough, so they sought wisdom and enlightenment, enough to answer all their QUESTIONS. Still, they felt something was lacking, some hole in their soul, and so they traveled the dream once over again, and told all their STORIES, and shared all their SECRETS, and at last they were at peace. There, in a garden on some remote beach, the first dreamer WOKE UP." The cleric rolls up the scroll, and continues. "The dream-gods think it best if you...um...do all that again. Not necessarily in that order. I'm happy to help in any way I can, but the best advice I can give is not to trust the man in the shadows. (Your goal in the dream is simply to wake up, whenever you want. You will receive a score based on the amount of Pleasance you have obtained, minus the amount of each form of Unpleasance. The Cleric has told you about several ways to gain lots of Pleasance at once. You can ask the cleric about any word in all-caps. When you are finished you can SPEAK TO THE BARTENDER or SPEAK TO THE MAN IN THE SHADOWS). > first dreamer The Cleric leans back and explains: "She...or He...is the central figure of our religion, the only being mightier than the dream-gods. It is said they were here at the inception of the dream, and dwelt within it for perhaps five thousand years, before they WOKE UP. The First Dreamer's true nature is unknown and perhaps unknowable: it's distinctly possible that others have dreamed this dream before, and they were simply the first. It's also possible that you are the First Dreamer, or that you are simply something the first dreamer dreamed up. What you choose to believe is largely up to you." > woke up The Cleric mutters a prayer and explains: "You can wake up at almost any time, simply by typing WAKE UP. When you do that, it is very likely the dream and everything end it will simply end...perhaps things will keep going in your absence, but I doubt it. At any rate, in this portentous instant, the dream-gods will award you a final score based on the amount of Pleasance you have accrued, minus the amount of each form of unpleasance. As you explore the dream, you may find wondrous places that will modify this final reckoning. You cannot WAKE UP in the middle of encounters, or in this room." > magic The Cleric eyes the man in the shadows with suspicion and explains: "Magic is the most important resource in the dream. You will find it, in raw form, from time to time, but most dreamers harvest it by cracking open diamonds using the specialized equipment found by exploring academies. Now, finding diamonds isn't easy either...but it's far easier than finding magic. You can buy diamonds at Zapirtaz, for example, if you're willing to spend a bit of coin..."
Righto, main quest received, and magic btw is very important in this game, for any character BUT the pirate. Why?
You are a Pirate Your special ability is: SCOWL (bypass all travel obstacles, such as storms and sea monsters, in exchange for a small amount of fury)
That's right, every other class ability requires magic to function, but we have arguably one of the more useful that only needs a bit of FURY. (And I gained four points of it already messing around in the Swungle earlier.) Fury is actually the only potentially useful form of Unpleasance, as pirates use it for a currency of their own. But now onto the spooky man in the shadows.
The man shifts in his seat as you approach. "Schneckloth." He coughs dryly, and gestures for you to sit. "Schneckloth. Schneckloth. Schneckloth. That is my name. That is my nature...unknowable to you, yes, but knowable in time. I am that little nodule of noctochemicals lodged deep in your neuroanatomy...the source of your darkest thoughts. I evolved alongside your miserable species. I wait in the deepest parts of your collective unconscious..." The smoke around his face is clearing. You can see, through the haze, tiny pinpoints of light that just might be eyes...but then he exhales again, and is surrounded by a shifting, reeking cloud. "...I am the master of NIGHTMARES. The ultimate menace of the edge of SLEEP. There are so many surprises in store for you, this slumber. The TENTACLE TREES! The MIND-MAGGOTS! The one where your BRAIN falls out the back of your head!" He claps gloved hands together in perverse joy. A dull roar fills the shadows. "Oh, and of course we can't forget SCALPEL-HANDS MAN. Are all his fingers little knives, or does he just have one enormous scalpel where each of his hands should be? You'll have to find out!" The man wreathed in smoke and shadow gives a wet little chuckle. "It's going to be a fun evening, full of SADNESS, MADNESS, FURY, and WORRY. We'll start with something easy. You owe three coins to Schneckloth, the master of nightmares....and I shall be very, very upset if you do not pay me back. (You have gained 1 Worry) (Nightmares will be your most persistent opponents within the dream. Once activated, they will recur at points of interest all over the dream, effectively blocking your more pleasant adventures there. All nightmares can be resolved through some deed or task of high renown or incredible difficulty. You've just activated one that will resolve when you can pay Schneckloth the three coins you owe him.)
> nightmares Schneckloth flickers briefly out of existence, then reappears and explains: "We are the very substance of fear. The essence of despair. You know, I'm quite certain, that the 'real world' is as transient and frail as the dream. At any moment, it may give way to yawning night. In that black infinity, you would have nothing at all...except us. We are the ultimate truth. The little black shard of reality that you carry with you always. We are within you, and if we appear mysterious and unknowable, know this: you will understand our designs in time." > tentacle trees Schneckloth emits a low, hissing gurgle you find most unsettling and explains: "They are among my least loyal minions. They claim dominion over vast swathes of the dream, but do not pay me the tribute in sanity and souls that I am owed. Chop them down. It makes little difference to me..." > mind maggots Schneckloth flickers briefly out of existence, then reappears and explains: "A lord of NIGHTMARES such as myself should not play favorites, but I will confess that I do have a favorite. The mind-maggots are elegant in purpose, delightful in their simplicity. You will find them in certain far-away ruins...or perhaps, more appropriately, they will find you!" > scalpel hands man Schneckloth briefly assumes the form of something hideous and explains: "The other NIGHTMARES consider him a cheap charlatan. I do agree his methods are a bit...direct, but he has been in the game quite a while, and he has my respect." > brain Schneckloth emits a low, hissing gurgle you find most unsettling and explains: "All of this is, of course, a neurochemical illusion, created by you with only a little help from myself. In fact, you wouldn't be far-off in simply suggesting that I am part of you. As the dream wears on, you will realize how truly terrible that makes you. Revel in your darkness, my friend. It will be a comfort."
> sadness Schneckloth flickers briefly out of existence, then reappears and explains: "Sadness is the most subtle form of Unpleasance...and the strongest. You will have a very hard time getting rid of it." > madness Schneckloth briefly assumes the form of something hideous and explains: "Madness is my favorite form of Unpleasance. You will find yourself exposed to mind-rending terror on a few occasions this evening. Madness is hard, indeed, to shake. Your only respite will be the temples of the hated dream-gods." > fury Schneckloth briefly assumes the form of something hideous and explains: "You will accrue Fury when your dream-form is injured or tormented, or when you are frustrated in your attempts to achieve greatness. It will happen...often. You will find two ways to rid yourself of Fury: certain encounters may provide you with healing, and certain nefarious elements in the dream, most notably pirates, will use it as a form of currency." > worry Schneckloth giggles madly and explains: "Worry is the most common form of Unpleasance. It will follow from your myriad failures and anxiety, most importantly your inability to care for your dream-form or feed your crew. Worry is easy to accrue, but easy to lose again. Many encounters will provide you with a means of being rid of it."
> leave (You leave the bar, and enter the bustling port city of Zapirtaz. Your ship is docked in the harbor, which abuts a truly massive marketplace. When you SET SAIL from Zapirtaz, this tutorial will cease, and you will be truly on your own. Your ship currently carries a cargo of 2 figment fruits, 2 crates of goods, and 10 pleasance. Sailing from one location to another will have a chance of consuming 1 unit of food or one crate of goods. Your crew will first eat all your figment fruits, then all your fish, then all your smoked meats, then all your sugar, then all your spices. If there's no remaining food, you will begin gaining Worry in ever-increasing amounts. Thus, it makes sense to keep your ship well-provisioned. Zapirtaz is a good-enough place to do that, but you'll need to purchase it with Pleasance, and you already owe three coins to Schneckloth. It's time to make some money...)
All right. We are on our own now. Captain of our own ship and our own destiny. And this dream is--literally--nothing without us. Finally an RPG that acknowledges that the entire world centers around our characters.
Pleasance:11| Sadness:0| Madness:0| Fury:4| Worry:1| ............Might:10 ...........Talent:0 .........Seacraft:30 ......Shadowcraft:10 .......Dreamcraft:5 ======================= Situational Advantages: ======================= [~]: 15 [^]: 0 [=]: 0 [!]: 0 [%]: 0 [#]: 5 [&]: 0 [*]: 0
Our Seacraft leaves us quite prepared to be a no good scurvy seadog, and that 5 Dreamcraft is from the stuffed animal. We are also equipped with a Swimsuit, which was my SECOND reason for going through the tutorial. It gives +5 to sea themed encounters. (~)
Zapirtaz Your ship bobs in the harbor. You can SET SAIL at any time... There is a dense knot of dark buildings here, whose only purpose seems to be to horde shadow and filth. Alleys. Poorly maintained. You can LOOK FOR TROUBLE in the alleys, but why would you want to? The market district of Zapirtaz is one of the largest in the world. Languages of all nations echo among the close, red-brick buildings. Beautiful women, and swarthy men, tempt strangers with their wares. Enormous, sweet-scented caravans load and unload exotic cargo. You can VISIT THE MARKET. There is a harbor here, a place where ships can be mended and goods and figments may be traded. You can VISIT THE HARBOR if you wish.
And now, at long last...here we are. What do? Look for trouble as befitting our piratical nature, or seek advantageous trades?

one year ago
Alleys

one year ago

Nice to see that the Voodoo Lady has returned to offer her ever sage advice, as usual.

Anyways, I suppose I should VISIT THE MARKET if I want to be a mighty pirate. I'll need a sword for swashbuckling, a shovel for digging up treasure and a mug of grog for swilling.

one year ago
I'm with Avery: to the market!

I'm not saying I'm going to actually BUY anything, because, well, that whole pirate thing there...

How fast can we run from the market to the ship?

one year ago
Visit the market for sure. As tempting as those alleys are...

one year ago
Time to buy a friend for our parrot Larry, maybe a pet monkey

one year ago

A three headed monkey? ^_^

one year ago

VISIT THE MARKET, but don't sign anything

one year ago
Skimming the rest of the IFComp games, I have (surprisingly) not noticed anything that looks too excessively woke or cringe at a glance. Might give them a better look through later and see if anything is worth recommending.

one year ago
All right, you guys really wanted to do commerce. I ended up losing that last save actually, I left a different program up and it froze my laptop with Adrift still running in the background. No sweat since it's the beginning of the game though, I just quickly went through character creation again and will be more careful going forward. I ended up with 12 Pleasance and zero Fury this time, and the only other thing that's changed is that there's a new place of interested on Zapirtaz. Once we will only be able to explore once we gain more fragments of knowledge however. Since I found a really good deal on figment fruits in the market, I purchased three more, and then went exploring.
[&] ENCOUNTER: THE HEIST A group of your friends, from the waking world, have seen fit to pass you a message: they know of a secret cave nearby, where Bernie Madoff stored his ill-gotten gains. If you wish, you could carry out a heist... Success would mean considerable wealth. Failure, of course, would make you a powerful enemy. You can STEAL the treasure (Shadowcraft)(IMPOSSIBLE) Or find some subtler way to FOOL the guards (Talent)(IMPOSSIBLE) It would be safer to simply LEAVE
...yeah, that's a hard no for now. Maybe another time. The IMPOSSIBLE is in bright red text in the game itself, that ain't happening and I'd just gain unpleasance for failure. We leave and SET SAIL for mighty adventure. ...we can't actually do anything here, as our time in Zap used up our action, but just showing what the game looks like in actual play. (It looks like green text on a black background, hth.) But for future reference, we can return here to either visit the city again or hunt for diamonds later. And of course you can see from the list there that there are many other kinds of precious cargo to collect. Zaptiraz in particular is a good place to sell spices and silks. Our very humble map: ...which I've now taken the liberty of revealing a bit of. Haha, the empire is made of Doo. Anyway, so just looking at our prospects surrounding Condign, here's a list of things we can do: In the Cave Trench we can PLUNDER THE SEA LANE. In the Doo Empire (...teehee...) we can visit a library, or visit a famous thief. The Port of Thrones, now that's one of the important locations you will find in every game. Lots to do here.
The Port of Thrones There is one building, at the end of a long pier, that all explorers know. This is Entham's, a market for particularly discriminating customers, ladies and gentlemen interested in only the finest things the dream can provide...and the strangest. Entham deals in things no one else has the genius, and the courage, to buy and sell. You can VISIT ENTHAM'S. The Port of Thrones is a peaceful and glorious city. Old, and respectable...but boring. Perhaps you could use a little boredom. Perhaps there are adventures, mundane and domestic, that are worth having. You can choose to REMAIN HERE if you like, and temporarily forsake life upon the sea. The cliffs swarm with monks and nuns in white and gray, robes aflutter. Occasionally, you see the golden robes of a bishop or high dreamer. The four godheads reside here, in the mighty cathedrals that ring the cliffs. There are four cathedrals: one to Bajbuk, the widest-awake. One to Cosia, the happiest dreamer. One to Moslimbo, the deepest-sleeper. One to the great goddest Vatiya, the slayer of nightmares. You can ENTER THE SHRINE that connects each cathedral. Dozens of sails in the distance. Strangely-colored. Exotic. A sea lane, and it looks to be a well-traveled one. You can PLUNDER THE SEA LANE.
Moving on, in Choyture Forest we can visit some elves. Climbing the highest reaches of the Aa Mountains, we may hunt for rubies. Saint Nukagum despite its cool name, doesn't have anything for us to do there. The ocean is very big and empty sometimes, that is just the way of things. Oh, and since all of the sailing to scout these areas out has reset the time, there's also the option to revisit Condign to hunt for diamonds or make trouble in Zapirtaz. Lots of options here, but I'm going to bed now so take some time to talk it over among yourselves before giving me your three most desired picks in a nice numbered list.

one year ago
I say we visit the famous thief in the Doo(-doo) Empire. Gotta get that Shadowcraft up for potential future heists. Y'know, if that's how it works.

one year ago

Did my pirate eyes see the word "PLUNDER?" ^_^

one year ago
I will add that the "remain here" option in Port of Thrones usually means a free skill boost of some kind, since that's not really clear in the description.

one year ago
1. Arr, I like free shit
2. Arr, I like free shit
3. Arr, I like free shit

one year ago
It’s going to be hard not to visit Dookie-land. And there’s a famous thief there? How do we know he wants us to visit? What if we’re not invited and he robs us blind? I mean, what kind of famous thief advertises where he lives? Maybe he’s retired and doesn’t want anything to do with his previous life.

While it seems kind of lame, the “remain here” seems nice, just to get some skills. We saw how having no skills helped out with the last encounter and the “impossible” options. The nuns bore me, and I don’t think they’d want to meet a pirate, anyway.

1. Go to Crap City and VISIT THE FAMOUS THIEF
2. REMAIN HERE and get some super-powerful skill that will allow us to dominate the rest of the game.
3. VISIT ENTHAM’S because that sounds cool and weird at the same time

one year ago
Hey I still have Adrift installed on my old computer, I'm gong to play this! Skybreak and that game about being the monster was fun. I did like that you can just collect these up and play them offline even if a lot I looked at in that site didn't seem very good.

1. Get a diamond
2. Get a ruby
3. Remain here and then find someplace to sell the jewels

This game just started, I don't think we should be doing anything too illegal yet.

one year ago
> visit the thief [&] ENCOUNTER: THE CONDIGN KEY The thief holds court in some shady dive by the warfs, where drunken scum drink bilgey grog from chipped glasses. She is old, with hands worn rough and nobbly from too much pickpocketing. They say she was the most gifted thief in the Thieves' Guild, until they kicked her out. There are nasty rumors about competition with the portly guildmaster himself. ...at any rate, she now has grander plans, and you can help. "In the lava tubes below the city of Zapirtaz are treasures beyond belief." She whispers. "Diamonds in great abundance, kept safe by the Condign cartel. We're going to steal them...one last job before I retire. A capstone to a glorious career. This will be a complicated operation, but with the dreamer on my side, how could I fail?" She describes the first step of a twisty plot. "The cartel's vault-locks cannot be picked. Each ten-ton door can only be opened by a small silver key, kept in the possession of a courier. I'll need you to steal that, while I make other arrangements." She direct you to a small sea road, by the wharfs, where the courier will travel this very night. You dutifully lie in wait, and sure enough, the courier appears...a sallow, sunken-eyed, spidery man who travels under heavy guard of course. They cluster about him in dark armor that does not clank in the deep night. You can see the silver key sparkling on a golden keyring at the courier's hip... You can STEAL the key (Shadowcraft)(CHANCEY) ...or you can MAGIC it right into your hands (Dreamcraft)(DAUNTING) > steal You lie in wait by the roadside until the courier's keyring is within your grasp. Then, you snake your hand forward and attempt to obtain the key. You lift it lightly from his belt. It might be hours before he even realizes it is gone. A few hours later, you present the key to the thief. She rewards you with a small fee for your troubles. "There will be much more later." She promises with a wink. You have gained 10 pleasance. She also teaches you a few thieving-tricks. "I need you at your best for the heist ahead." She says. Your Shadowcraft skill has increased by 2!
10 Pleasance and 2 Shadowcraft richer, we learn that crime DOES pay. Although, I think we're just stealing from a cartel here anyway, so it's actually a good act? I think that's how morality works.
> remain here [=] ENCOUNTER: THE DREAM WITHIN THE DREAM During your time here, you fall asleep, of course. ...this is, of course, confusing, as you were already asleep to begin with. You are now in a dream within the dream, and you have considerable control over how that dream will go... 1) Dream up a dream that's better 2) Dream up a dream that's far, far worse
....okay, I have never gotten this event before. I'm gonna need some guidance from the peanut gallery here.

one year ago

I would think "1) Dream up a dream that's better" will probably be less risky for our mental health, and I can see the second option creating a nightmare.  But even with option 1, I can see a number of ways it could go south.  Still.  I vote 1).

one year ago
I’ll pick the second one because almost everyone else is probably going to pick the first one

one year ago
Let's go with option number 2. Seems more interesting.

one year ago
You awaken in a dream far worse than the previous one. In this dream, you shall play the villain, perhaps... (Your Shadowcraft skill has increased by 9)
Oh, we were going to do that anyway.

one year ago
Does this mean we're actually becoming capable?

one year ago
"Does this mean we're actually becoming capable?" Only one way to find out! I sailed on to the sea lane at Cave Trench, not able to start plundering at Port of Thrones so soon. And it seemed inadvisable to try out our sea dog legs there anyhow.
Sails in the distance. Two directions. A sea lane. You can PLUNDER THE SEA LANE. Routes are north and northeast. > plunder [~] ENCOUNTER: RED SAILS "Red sails!" comes a call from the crow's nest. "Red sails on the horizon!" The decision falls to you, now... Do you INTERCEPT the ship (Seacraft)(DIFFICULT) Or do you RETREAT (Seacraft)(DIFFICULT) > intercept Curses! The ship evades you, and slips away by night. (You have gained 3 Fury)
Those fuckers. Okay, NOW we go back to Port of Thrones.
[~] ENCOUNTER: WHITE SAILS "White sails!" comes a call from the crow's nest. "White sails on the horizon!" The decision falls to you, now... Do you INTERCEPT the ship (Seacraft)(EASY) Or do you RETREAT (Seacraft)(EASY)
Haha, they're smaller and weaker! This is much better. Okay, so how battles work is that you get a series of skill checks. Sometimes there's choices involved, sometimes it's just a back and forth of dice rolls.
> intercept The ship flees, but you outmaneuver her. Battle is joined! The ship is a Merchant: The Dokbuk Your Ship: Shipshape Your Crew: Ready for Action [!] ENCOUNTER: INCOMING! The enemy's cannons flash and thunder. Cannonballs incoming! Will your ship ENDURE the onslaught? (Seacraft)(EASY) > endure Cannonballs clatter against the mighty hull of your ship. It will take more than that to sink you! Your Ship: Shipshape Your Crew: Ready for Action [!] ENCOUNTER: THE ESCORT The enemy is not equipped for combat, but they do have an escort, a small gunnery-sloop that you did not catch sight of before. It swings deftly between you and your target, its crew are ready and willing to give their lives to defend the larger vessel... ...who are you to deny them their wish? FIRE! (Seacraft)(EASY) > fire The escort withstands your withering barrage of shot and powder. Damn! (You have gained 3 Fury) (Your ship has been damaged) Your Ship: Damaged Your Crew: Ready for Action [!] ENCOUNTER: INCOMING! The enemy's cannons flash and thunder. Cannonballs incoming! Will your ship ENDURE the onslaught? (Seacraft)(EASY) > endure Cannonballs clatter against the mighty hull of your ship. It will take more than that to sink you! Your Ship: Damaged Your Crew: Ready for Action [!] ENCOUNTER: THE ESCORT That blasted escort is back! You must swamp it, before it swamps you! FIRE! (Seacraft)(EASY) > fire Your cannons fire, and blast the tiny ship into flotsam. Your Ship: Damaged Your Crew: Ready for Action [!] ENCOUNTER: INCOMING! The enemy's cannons flash and thunder. Cannonballs incoming! Will your ship ENDURE the onslaught? (Seacraft)(EASY) > endure Cannonballs clatter against the mighty hull of your ship. It will take more than that to sink you! Your Ship: Damaged Your Crew: Ready for Action [!] ENCOUNTER: RAKE 'EM! You have pivoted your ship perpendicular to the enemy. Your cannons are now poised to deliver a single devastating shot...perhaps a lethal one. You're going to enjoy this... FIRE! (Seacraft)(EASY) > fire Cannonballs crash through the enemy ship. The deck is awash with blood and fire! Your Ship: Damaged Your Crew: Ready for Action [~] ENCOUNTER: THE SINKING SHIP The enemy ship is sinking! On one hand, this is ideal. On another, slightly more pressing hand, this is disasterous. After all, when that ship goes down, its cargo will go with it. Can you SALVAGE the cargo in time? (Seacraft)(EASY)
Victory! We notably do not attempt to salvage any people. But it's fine, we just made them up anyway. The glorious loot for all our efforts is 2 spices, 2 silks, both of which can be sold for a goodly amount back at the Zapirtaz market in the Condigns. Also we get...
You have found the Tea Kettle!
Uh. Sure.
Full of hot tea. A weapon, if you define the term broadly enough. The lid is made from leather. The spout is embellished with a complete history of the Gnomic city of Heyurundesifroud, etched in tiny script. It is perhaps twenty years old. It was clearly made with tender, loving care. It still has some sand in its cracks and crevices. Value: 29 Bonuses: +5 Might, +5 [*] Additional Bonus: +5 [^]
...this thing sucks. I mean, it's useful, but it looks like this was plundered out of a freaking dumpster. But I guess we'll equip it anyway since we have nothing else for the weapon slot. I spend a little time after that revealing more of the map. Results are a little disappointing, lots of empty locations out here. The Rum Seas broke my heart with false advertising. :( In the Haivo Jungles we can study a dark mystery, and in the Jungles of Aa we can visit some dwarves. Heading back to Zapitiraz to sell our plunder is another good option, or trying one of the earlier options we passed on like visiting elves, libraries, etc. But, one VERY important discovery is made on the way, and we have an equally important decision to make:
There is land ahead: black and barren and distinctly uninviting. These shores are cursed, and no dreamer has dared to land here. You shall be the first...it falls to you to name this blasted and forsaken place. TYPE THE NAME OF THIS LOCATION BELOW

one year ago
Does that mean we're at... world's end?

one year ago
I'm gonna need an answer on this one sooner rather than later folks. I'm in a bit of a dilemma where if I try to save the game, it's gonna name the land Save.

one year ago
End Isle, in honor of our resident necromancer.

one year ago
How about Burnscar Plateau

one year ago
Also I should mention to any of you who have successfully installed Adrift to play either Skybreak or Lost Coastlines, the Adrift community has a Discord server that has 90% of its discussion geared to Skybreak and Lost Coastlines development. And funnily it has far more CYStians present at this point than Adrift users. Those guys are just very set in their ways, none of them use Discord and various attempts to reach out to that community have failed, so we just started stuffing it with people who are interested in chatting about IF in general. I would always like to see more actual ADRIFT discussion in there though, so if you have a deeper interest in the games or in messing around with the program at all just let me know and I'll give you an invite.

one year ago
I wouldn’t mind that link, a drift runner hates my guts. It seems because I’m having installation issues.

one year ago
If you are having the usual problems with Windows Defender hysterically screeching, when that happens there should be a little arrow that conceals the option to say 'stfu and install it anyway'.

one year ago
I liked Sherb's line of thinking and wound up doing something similar. (Although I didn't see Nightwatch's post until too late and might've gone with that one otherwise, it seems sufficiently thematic). And yes it does name it that on the map as well. As you can see I did go to try and explore it a bit, and, quite fittingly, triggered our first nightmare. (the tutorial one from Schneckloth aside.) There is of course only one rational action here, but nothing about dreams, or this community, has to make sense. Now I'm going to shut it down for awhile and let some general discussion happen on what to do next. Besides yay or nay on this nightmare summons, I need everyone to pick up to three other options you'd like; those can include things we've done previously, some of the options mentioned that haven't yet been taken, or just exploring further from any particular jump off point you see on the map there.

one year ago

SAIL.  Go big or go home.

one year ago

Refuse. It must be a lure, probably from the lands inhabited only by nightmares. They simply can't slink out of their domain, and news must've passed throughout the dream of the return of the Dreamer. Some lowly nightmare is hoping to cash in on a delicious feast of the dreamer's soul and they've got no reason not to try, but only a fool would fall for such an obvious gimmick!

Only in their own domain is the danger real. Refuse

one year ago
Sailing would be cool, but probably too early to end this playthrough. Refuse it is. Also since I was at work when these developments occured, appreciate the addition of Barrett's Privateers. Very cool song.

one year ago
It is a very cool song. That line where Barret is "crushed like a bowl of eggs" really sticks with me lol, if you want to talk about some great imagery. I'll probably be including more random songs from the game's Spotify soundtrack as this goes on. It's a pretty broad mix of stuff in there, fitting the dream logic of the game by being all over the place.

one year ago

Did my pirate eyes see the word… RUM?

1.RUM SEAS

2.THE PORT OF THRONES

3.FALL ISLE

... No particular reason on the other two, they just seem vaguely piratey.

one year ago
Unfortunately the Rum Seas are just an empty location, no doubt name as a cruel joke. Fall Isle is an obstacle on the map, we must either brave terrible ice to move on once they're there, or, since we're a pirate, just SCOWL it all away. Port of Thrones however is a big time location and one we'll likely be revisiting just as often as the Condign Archipelago.

one year ago

This makes for an interesting backread.

While sailing would be interesting, seacraft has failed the 'difficult' check before. The safer option would be to refuse and avoid attempting the impossible.

Based on a quick skim, we should:
1. Sell our plunder at Zapitiraz to attain more resources
2. Visit some of the aforementioned piratey places 
3. Visit the Port of Thrones, it seems important

one year ago
Rrefuse, we'rre a pirrate not a rretarrd (hopefully).

So sell the loot
Get another free skillboost
Plunder the high seas

one year ago

REFUSE

1. Visit the elves in Choyture forest since we have to backtrack through there regardless.

2. VISIT THE HARBOR at Zapirtaz to repair our ship.

3. Revisit the thief in the Doo empire to continue the heist storyline now that we have more shadowcraft.

Also, what are the 3 “coins” that we owe Schneckloth? Is that just another way of saying Pleasance? I don’t see it in the resource list. What does the tutorial nightmare even do? Does it block off any places, or would repaying the debt only remove the 1 worry?

one year ago
I'm actually surprised we haven't encountered the follow up to the debt to Schneckloth yet. We'll be given the option to repay it, at which point it'll clear all current Worry.

So it can actually be a cheap and easy way to unload a lot of Worry at once. Although, for other reasons it may not be a great idea to let it accumulate too long.

one year ago
You refuse to sail to the light. Whatever lit that baleful lantern will surely be displeased... (You have gained 15 Worry)
Eeesh. Well that was all a little disturbing. Let's go do something fun and nice and not think about it. This seems like a great time to visit the elves in the happy forests of Choyture!
This place exists on the shimmering border between the dream and somewhere even stranger. Elves have made camp here...they gambol and play in the surf, giggling and speaking to the empty air in strange tongues. You can VISIT THE ELVES if you wish. Routes are north, west and southeast. > elves [#] ENCOUNTER: THE ELFIN COURT In the brooding boughs of the trees above dwell the elves, creatures of the fen and forest, who rarely walk the earth below in sunlight. Their tree forts are filled with ghoulish giggles and shouts of glee and horror, sonormous chants and the electric hum of raw magic...mortals are rarely invited to ascend to their secret cities...but every so often, when the stars and the spirits are right, they invite one or two to pass the time with them. That time is now. You have been invited to an elfin court. You must respond. To decline would be dangerous indeed. How will you comport yourself? You can try to IMPRESS them (Talent)(CHANCEY) Or you can try to TRICK them (Talent)(IMPOSSIBLE) > impress You approach the elves, and boast of your accomplishments. Something in your words moves them, and they gather around, stroking your face and inspecting your eyes with curiosity. Eventually, one of them speaks, and tells a tale that chills you to your bones... (You have gained 7 Madness and 14 Fragments of Knowledge)
yAayyAaayyyayay! ...alrighty, in dire need of a good dose of normalcy now, I went to Zapirtaz and did some trading. Sold our silks and spices, bought a bit more food and some crates of supplies to repair the ship with. Explored the market a little and encountered some friendly whalers:
[~] ENCOUNTER: WHALERS The Whalers of Daen spend their lives butchering whales, and rendering their blubber. From dawn to dusk, most days, they are caked in blood and oil, and smell of burnt grease and vomitous decay. ...but Whalers are royalty the world over. It is past dusk now, and they sit richly attired, perfumed, with combed beards and stylish blue suits, around a nearby table. The oil trade is prosperous, and they flaunt their prosperity. Perhaps you can play a part in the oil trade... 1) Buy a cask of whale oil (8 Pleasance) (You have 32 Pleasance) 2) Buy five casks of whale oil (40 Pleasance) (You have 32 Pleasance) 3) Buy ten casks of whale oil (80 Pleasance) (You have 32 Pleasance)
I bought one barrel just in case we discover a good place to trade it. (If we already knew such a place AND had more Pleasance, this would be a great encounter to load up and go make a bunch of profit at once.) From here I went on to the Port of Thrones and tried to visit Entham's market. Buuuut, we were interrupted by someone:
The crowded streets of the city give way to a small stone courtyard full of weeds and drifting garbage. Spray-painted on the far wall, on some crumbling building that has not been inhabited in years, is an enormous red rune, the dreadful and ancient sign of Schneckloth, the Lord of Nightmares. Below the graffito, a cluster of black-robed cultists whisper to one another. They turn as you approach, and their leader speaks out. "Know this: You owe a dreadful debt to Schneckloth: three glittering coins. He eagerly awaits your payment. He is patient, to be sure...but some distant day, the debt shall come due. His fury will be terrible indeed." Trashbags billow past. A second cultist speaks up, slightly less sure. "...or you could just pay now, I guess." You may LEAVE or PAY back your debt (requires 3 pleasance) (you have 24 pleasance) > leave You leave without a word, but one of the cultists bellows, as you depart: "Your debt will come due someday! Some dark and dreadful day!" You have no idea when this debt will come due, if ever, but it does make you vaguely worried. (You have gained 1 worry)
Worry schmurry, no one cares you fucking nerds. Well now after this I had to burn some turns to reset the counter so I could try for Entham's again. I went and attempted a little plundering at Cave Trench, but that red sailed bastard was once again too fast for me. I did gather two more fruits elsewhere while uncovering a new location though, always helpful. Finally though I returned to the Condigns and walked into Entham's.
Entham's Antiquities A shop for the discerning collector, Entham's Antiquities is open at all hours. Outrageously expensive items from across the world sit under glass, on sumptuous pillowcases of green and purple velvet. "Only the best here at Entham's!" the fastidious shopkeeper says. "Feel free to browse but don't touch anything." You can BUY any item here for twice its listed value. You can also SELL any item in your inventory here for its listed value. You can LEAVE at any time. Currently, the shop contains The King's Ring, The Ring of Three Wishes, The Inventor's Goggles, The Outrageous Chapeau, The Atlas and The Expensive Watch.
For reference, our Tea Kettle is valued at 29 Pleasance, so if we're ever hard up for cash (or get a better weapon) we can return here and pawn it off. But at the cost of not being able to use it to raise our score when we give up all of our dreamworldly possessions near the end of the game. Now, what all is for sale here? Loot we don't have to sink somebody else's ship for, how very novel.
> x ring A Ring, fit for a king. Its band is forged from whalebone. It is an antique, perhaps eighty years old. Value: 34 Bonuses: +5 [=] > x ring of three wishes A very special ring indeed. Its band is forged from starmetal (whatever that is). Value: 2 Bonuses: +9 Dreamcraft, +9 Talent, +9 [=] > x goggles Smoked goggles, for more optimal invention. It is covered with snakeskin. It is perhaps twenty years old. It has been known to turn into an octopus, on occasion. It simply chooses not to do so now. Its construction includes a small folding set of survival tools. Value: 9 Bonuses: +5 [%] Additional Bonus: +5 [^] > x chapeau A stylish black cap with several outrageous feathers and bangles. It is lined with fine Daenish tweed. It is embellished with bits of blue glass. It is an heirloom, perhaps ninety years old. It is covered with postage stamps from all over the world. It is strangely cold to the touch. Value: 21 Bonuses: +10 [=] Additional Bonus: +5 [*] > x atlas A heavy volume that purports to contain maps of every nation in the dream. You doubt that such a thing is possible. It is bound with cheap plastic. The cover is embellished with complex geometric designs. It is old indeed, fashioned by human craftsmen several centuries ago. Value: 30 Bonuses: +5 [^], +5 [&] You can READ THE ATLAS > x watch A watch, the most accurate model on the market. Jewel-bearings are visible within. The face is made from dragon's bone. The edges are embellished with an illustration of a crocodile. It is almost a century old. Value: 43 Bonuses: +5 [=], +5 [%]
Of course, we're down to like 24 Pleasance, so we're just not distinguished enough of a customer to buy something here right now and--hold up. Wait just a minute, let's back up here. Did I just see what I--? Okay. I SUSPECT this might be a bug. However, right now I am very much considering it a feature. Buying that shit immediately. Decided to pass on the goggles as the don't do a whole lot, but if anyone really really wants them we might be able to pick them up on a return if the shop hasn't changed out it's inventory though. I started to sail over to the High Seas to get in a better position for exploring come tomorrow, however unfortunately we encountered some bad ice off the coast of Fall Isle and lost our course getting around it. Which is not a terrible thing, we didn't go far this time, just a little hop skip and a jump to the Daenish Main. Daen itself will be right around next to it somewhere, and from there as everyone knows we can sail the famed Gap of Gew Genning to visit the....gnomes. It does feel the time is right to strike out to some unexplored lands, but returning to earlier locations is on the table at any time as well, up to you guys.

one year ago
Exploration, ho!

one year ago
Explorre!

one year ago
Northward, I say!

one year ago
I haven't forgotten about this, I've just been slowly losing my mind from inability to be tired except for times I can't sleep.

Go vote in the IFComp or something.

one year ago

Mighty pirates don't vote. We mutiny! ^_^

one year ago
I voted! (voting concludes by Nov 15th, guys.)

Good that I returned to the site at this time, would be nice to do a playthrough with yall. I've yet to get good at the game, curious to see how we do here.

one year ago

I will resume updates on this today. In the meantime perhaps @PerforatedPenguin as a small and (debatedly) innocent child--someone who doesn't know "who's who" in the Intfic community at all or what they expect a "real" text adventure to be like, but only what a good game is--might like to share some thoughts on the negative reviews he's been seeing.

(All locations listed in the song are supposedly findable in the game by the way, we'll have to be on the look out for them.)

one year ago
Commended by mizal on 11/16/2022 3:22:31 PM
I'll just preface this shortly with the fact that I myself have not known any of the intfic people, along with any of the reviewers. My evaluation and commentary is only based on my opinion of LC through my own experiences, so I hope to stay free of bias.

I have been playtesting LC for a bit before it was submitted to ifcomp. As with many other projects I've participated in, I feel a sort of pride and awe in the magnificent scale of the game and my contributions to it, however little they may be. I've been, on and off, checking up on the ifcomp forums and the ifdb page to read up on how the people felt about this game in general.

I was a bit disappointed to find that it received relatively little attention, whereas some of the other objectively worse works were being promoted more. Whatever. As long as the people who did play through it enjoyed it, right? No. From what I've read, the reception was quite mixed (mixed being 1-2 generally positive, neutral, and negative reviews overall), which is quite a shame considering how good this game really is.

Since I've been summoned to report on these findings, I'll categorize the complaints into 3 general points, and offer my commentary on those:

Too punishing - not enough pleasance and too much unpleasance

I don't blame them too much for this one, as it was a point that bugged me when I first began to try out the game. Pleasance was scarce, while unpleasance seemed to pile on incessantly. However, as I played more, and talked to other playtesters and the author himself, I found that this wasn't as punishing as it initially seemed.

There are about 3 major ways of gaining pleasance -
- Successful encounters, which range from giving 1-2 to up to hundreds(rarely)
- Selling resources at shops and markets
- Renouncing possessions, recording secrets, answering questions

(Along with one of the merchant abilities that cost magic.) I think those that have reviewed the game have noticed only the first out of all three methods. None, or not many, have gotten to the point where the large one-time gain of pleasance is worth considering. On a similar note, there are ways to clear all the unpleasance and sprinkled in many locations in the world, some coming at a cost of pleasance and others through a successful elimination of a nightmare (completely cure all worry). Some that occur right before you wake up clears most of the unpleasance categories in one fell swoop. I saw a lot of complaints about worry, the most plentiful and the least “worrying” of all forms of unpleasance.

Again, I only partially blame them for not continuing on, because of this one rule of ifcomp: “Judges must base their judgment of each game on at most the first two hours of play. If a judge is still playing a game at the end of a cumulative two hours of playing time and wishes to continue playing it, the judge must rate the game and not change that rating later before continuing play.” They’re limited to at most 2 hours of play, which basically means that the depth of the gameplay of LC is barely felt, and most of that time is spent floundering around and barely surviving.

Parser issues/game bugs getting in the way

This one is the most understandable, I feel. Adrift itself is quite a mess and pretty unwieldy at times. Game bugs being in the way of immersion is probably the most valid complaint: LC is a massive game, not to mention that it is procedurally generated, and even though playtesters have caught a good number of bugs, there are probably more out there that, by chance, we haven’t gotten to.

Stylistic complaints, no overarching story

I think this is where it gets a bit subjective. Some guy (again, I don’t know anyone) was talking about how the story itself is lackluster, how there’s no main plot that the reader has to go to, yadda yadda. I won’t go on with the defense, but the game itself is set in a dreamland, where the main character spends their time from destination to destination. Some encounters provide bite sized parts of stories and lore, and others can provide short term missions/storylines. It is, admittedly, detached and wild at times, but I feel like it fits the dreamy setting of the game. (Also, this is specifically an open world game, pfft.) All from my perspective, though.

Anyhow, that’s about an overview of what I’m seeing. You can definitely find some reviews pretty easily. If you haven’t voted yet, do so quickly. Voting ends November 15th (within 36 hours from the time this was posted).

one year ago
Note, I disagree with all of that, but that is indeed what a few of them are saying. We have only fair and balanced reporting here.

I realize the specific way players approach the contest games (the two hour limit, dozens more to get to...) is a factor. But some comments just make it really obvious to me that these people are just bad at games. The resource management aspects are extremely forgiving for instance; plunder a sea lane and visit a market. Both are plentiful near the starting area and the game communicates clearly everything being gained or lost, it's not remotely the "problem" it's being made out to be.

Imagine playing Sunless Sea with an attitude like that.

One person whose comment I saw this morning was just stunlocked I think at not being able to blaze through with a walkthrough. But others have recognized the scope of it all and just said they want to come back and really spend some time with it later, so I think it'll find its audience in time.

one year ago
I find it funny that someone specifically stated that they gave up well before the 2-hour mark, due to how punishing the game was.

Utter BS, of course. The same person was struggling to not sink their ship every 3 turns.

one year ago
Yeah, that's the kind of player who would consider Minecraft on peaceful mode "punishing" because they kept walking off the same cliff until they ragequit in tears.

one year ago

Hunt for furs!

one year ago
All right, I have delayed long enough, let's hoist anchor. First, a little reminder of the state of things:
> status You are a Pirate Your special ability is: SCOWL (bypass all travel obstacles, such as storms and sea monsters, in exchange for a small amount of fury) Pleasance:20| Sadness:0| Madness:7| Fury:9| Worry:32| ............Might:15 ...........Talent:9 .........Seacraft:30 ......Shadowcraft:21 .......Dreamcraft:14 ======================= Situational Advantages: ======================= [~]: 15 [^]: 5 [=]: 9 [!]: 0 [%]: 0 [#]: 5 [&]: 0 [*]: 5
We are a mighty pirate!
> cargo Your hold contains all of the following: * 14 Fragments of knowledge * 0 Red Fish * 0 Blue Fish * 0 Green Fish * 3 Bowls of Figment Fruits * 0 Sides of Smoked Meat * 1 Crates of Goods * 1 Casks of Whale Oil * 0 Pelts of Fur * 0 Pounds of Sugar * 0 Ounces of Spice * 0 Flasks of Liquor * 0 Spools of Silk * 0 Diamonds * 0 Rubies * 0 Sapphires * 0 Pearls * 0 Barrels of Nightmare Fuel * 0 Ingots of Dream-Iron * 0 Ingots of Dream-Silver * 0 bags of Magic
And we're poor as shit, this won't do at all.
Your inventory is as follows: Head: Neck: Hands: the Ring of Three Wishes Weapon: the Tea Kettle Body: the Swimsuit Shoes: Socks: Other: the Stuffed Animal
We do have some sweet bling though.
> x ring of three wishes A very special ring indeed. Its band is forged from starmetal (whatever that is). Value: 2 Bonuses: +9 Dreamcraft, +9 Talent, +9 [=]
And then all this other stuff:
> x tea kettle Full of hot tea. A weapon, if you define the term broadly enough. The lid is made from leather. The spout is embellished with a complete history of the Gnomic city of Heyurundesifroud, etched in tiny script. It is perhaps twenty years old. It was clearly made with tender, loving care. It still has some sand in its cracks and crevices. Value: 29 Bonuses: +5 Might, +5 [*] Additional Bonus: +5 [^] > x swimsuit A red swimsuit. Value: 3 Bonuses: +5 [~] > x stuffed animal A stuffed animal, so stuffy and stylized that it's hard to tell what kind of animal it is. A bear? A puppy? A raccoon? Who can say. What matters is that it is a comfort in the darkest of times. Value: 3 Bonuses: +5 Dreamcraft, +5 [#]
Now back into the dream. Our previous adventures had brought us to the Daenish Main:
The Daenish Main Here the warm winds and currents from the North mix with the freezing cold winds of the South. The Gap of Gew Genning is close, jealously guarding the mysteries of the far Southern climbs. Many ships come here. You can PLUNDER THE SEA LANE if you choose. The Daenish main is a great whale-road, used by the creatures on their migrations from the utter south to the utter north. You can FISH here.
This is another of those hub locations that always exists in every game, and will always be near certain others. Namely Daen itself and the Gap of Gew Genning. And as you can see there are a couple of things we can do here, so let's discuss lol just kidding, it's obvious what we're doing next.
> plunder [~] ENCOUNTER: WHITE SAILS "White sails!" comes a call from the crow's nest. "White sails on the horizon!" The decision falls to you, now... Do you INTERCEPT the ship (Seacraft)(EASY) Or do you RETREAT (Seacraft)(EASY) > intercept The ship flees, but you outmaneuver her. Battle is joined! The ship is a Merchant: The Ever Goods Your Ship: Shipshape Your Crew: Ready for Action [~] ENCOUNTER: WHO HOLDS THE GAGE? Winds are high today, white foam appears on the tops of the wave. Whoever holds the weather gage, upwind of the enemy craft, will have an advantage in the battle to come...that advantage could even be decisive. You must POSITION your ship accordingly (Seacraft)(TRIVIAL) > position You hold the gage! For the remainder of this battle, rolls against the enemy will be easier. Your Ship: Shipshape Your Crew: Ready for Action [!] ENCOUNTER: INCOMING! The enemy's cannons flash and thunder. Cannonballs incoming! Will your ship ENDURE the onslaught? (Seacraft)(TRIVIAL) > endure Cannonballs clatter against the mighty hull of your ship. It will take more than that to sink you! Your Ship: Shipshape Your Crew: Ready for Action [~] ENCOUNTER: GIVING CHASE The enemy ship suddenly breaks combat, and swings wide out onto the open ocean. They're running! You will have to RUN them down...(Seacraft)(TRIVIAL) > run You've caught the bastards! There's no running now. It's time to commence boarding! Your Ship: Shipshape Your Crew: Ready for Action [!] ENCOUNTER: THE MELEE The fight spills over onto the deck of the enemy craft. A great melee ensues: sparks and limbs fly, blood spurts, powder burns. There is nothing to do but FIGHT on, and hope your crew prevails... (Might)(TRIVIAL) > fight Out of the morass of carnage, your crew emerges victorious. You fight on, and you prevail! Surely victory is close! (You have gained 5 fury) Your Ship: Shipshape Your Crew: Ready for Action [~] ENCOUNTER: THE SHARKS There is blood in the water, and the sharks are drawn to it. These fearsome fish have opened up a third front in the battle, attacking sailors from both sides with indiscriminate abandon. Some of your crew struggle up the side of the ship, while sharks leap from the water, jaws open wide with primal hunger. You will have to drop down there and FIGHT a few, if you want to save your crew (Might)(EASY) > fight A few quick kicks to the snout will dissaude even the hungries shark. You turn the chomping creatures away, and haul your crew back to the deck to resume the battle. The enemy is routed! What few crew remain throw down their weapons. The ship is yours! You pick its cargo clean...
....well that felt AMAZING. All easy checks, and we even got to kick some sharks in the face. And we gained loot!
You plunder the hold of the merchant ship You have gained 4 goods. You have gained 1 Silks. You have found the lute!
And lute!
A lute, for strumming and romancing and generally making a fool of yourself. It is made of materials of extraordinary craftsmanship. It is decorated with bits of blue glass. It is an antique, perhaps eighty years old. Value: 9 Bonuses: +5 Talent, +5 [=]
...not very piratey, though. Now I do know voters expressed an interest in exploring new lands, so I scouted out the surrounding area. And it's all pretty interesting, there's things to do in almost every location this time.
--THE LAKES OF SHRED Bones stick out of the sand here, the remains of some gargantuan monster, larger than an island. You can STUDY THE BONES or PLUNDER THE BONES. --THE SCANTISH MAIN The Scantish Main is a complicated place, sea breezes from the tropics mix with coldwater currents flowing from the Southern oceans. The wide open ocean is close, many ships come here, and depart to strange shores beyond. Some are lucky enough to return. You can PLUNDER THE SEA LANE if you choose. --DAEN The Northman's Hand is a bar, famous the world over. The drink is strong and wild. The company, far stronger and wilder. You will have to keep your wits about you, but it might be worth a visit. You can VISIT THE TAVERN. Another bar, set right on the harbor, has an evil reputation among the locals...a smuggler's den. You can VISIT THE DEN The Gap of Gew-Genning is a narrow strip of sea between the great freezing rocks of the utter south. Ships occasionally sail the gap of Gew-Genning, in an attempt to reach the Gnomic lands beyond. You can SAIL THE GAP. --SAINT COSMO Where the water kisses the waves, a shrine to Cosia stands. A statue of the goddess holds forth her hands to the sea, embracing the wind and water as though it is a long-lost lover. You can ENTER THE SHRINE. The Academy of St. Cosmo is staffed by eccentrics who have dedicated their lives to the pursuit of rational studies. Their efforts within the dream are probably futile, but they may be worth a visit. You can VISIT THE ACADEMY. On a lush green hill, a caste of merchants has built an opulent village. You can VISIT THE VILLAGE if you would like. --NACRE LAKE The beasts of this land have furs that are prized the world over. You might try to HUNT FOR FURS, but it will be difficult indeed...
(The Wickglass Mountains are uninteresting aside from the name.) So, where to next and what do? And should we replace our beloved stuffed parrot that gives us a boost to Dreamcraft, for this Talent boosting lute we just acquired? Oh, and we ate some fruit while I was scouting, so we're down to 2 bowls now. Just something to keep in mind.

one year ago
While I do find that talent plays a minor role in sea battles at times...

It wouldn't be very pirate-y of us to carry a lute into battle instead of a parrot on our shoulder, yes? I say we keep the stuffed animal.

The gambler inside me is saying to plunder another sea lane - after all, if we could loot one hold, why not go for two?

one year ago

Nacre, hunt for furs. Oonga boonga

one year ago
Ho! The Wickglass... oh... never mind.

We plundered and conquered: time for a drink! To Daen

one year ago
Visit the daen to drrink and get a fence. A pirrates plunderr is worrth nothing if not exchanged to gold.