Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

So, these past few days I haven't been able to get much writing done due to my thumb SPLITTING THE FRICK OPEN! Yeah, it was painful, gross, and had to get stitched closed. Turns out I was wearing out the tendons there and then I tensed them up too much when I went for the Shift.

Of course, I'm all better now. Now I'm curious about something.

How many of you have suffered injuries similar to this from writing? And no, carpel tunnel doesn't count unless you needed surgery for it.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

>_> Hey, I haven't had surgery, but I've had CTS for five years, dammit. It counts.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Doesn't that just mean you need surgery?

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

No? >_> ... <_< ... maybe, I don't want it.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

I'm sorry. That sucks. I've never had surgery for a writing injury. I actually never had a writing injury. I have had a stupid one though. I'm so incredibly klutzy, that when I was twelve, I walked into a doorjamb and broke my toe.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Ouch! Worst childhood injury I had was from my cat, which scratched the flesh on my chest down to the ribcage. I could see the bone and everything.

Needless to say, the cat was not kept.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Similar thing happened to me, except it was from my shoulder all the way to my hand. I was bleeding like crazy, but I didn't feel that much pain to be honest. Maybe that's the reason why my arm goes numb every now and again, but unfortunately for me, the cat was kept.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

I had the whole 'no pain' thing, too. I looked like someone slashed me with a sword or flayed my ribcage, and yet I felt fine. Didn't even go to the hospital for it. Had huge ugly scarring there for a long time, though, but it eventually went away given that this happened when I was five.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

I was about 7, bandaged by whole arm, I think the cat managed to get my lip too, because I have a scar there. Arm doesn't have that though. "As my father used to say, a naked man holds few secrets, but the flayed man, the flayed man holds none." -Ramsey Bolton 

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Our injuries are kind of funny, though, when you realize that if we were adults the injuries wouldn't be as severe. Cat claws can't cut down to the bone very easily on an adult, but on kids it's like they're cutting butter.

Trust me, one of my recent cats latched onto my back and slid down with its claws out, cutting my back all the way down and yet it barely even did anything. It was like a bunch of long paper cuts.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Ow, paper cuts hurt more than cat claws to me.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago
Injuries tend to scar easier though when you grow older.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Ayyy! I'm in the same boat. My entire forearm got ripped apart by my relative's grumpy cat. Really don't like that cat. I was about four at the time, so the scars have healed. My cousin has a dog that hates everybody other than her. I was talking to my cousin once, and unknowingly stretched my hand out near the dog. At least my finger grew back and the wound didn't get infected.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

For some reason I laughed really hard when you said you didn't like that cat. Ouch, luckily I never had a dog bite me like that.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

but you can't grow back fingers

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Maybe you can't, but others can.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Pfffh, you can't, pathetic mortal.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

We're gods. *drinks tea*

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Yes we are. *Epic music plays in background, explosions everywhere.*

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

My worst childhood injury was when i put my cat in a backpack and a hole for me to peek through and every time i peeked through my cat jumped up and the last time i peeked through the cat poked me in the eye. we did not keep our cat either.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

This is the funniest thread ever.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Which part? This broke off into two conversations. His thumb, or us being victims to cat claws? 

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

All of it obviously.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Ha, yeah I suppose so. What about you EndMaster, ever been hurt in strange ways? Maybe with a rusty saw blade?

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

The handle of a knife broke while cutting an apple and the blade went into the soft fleshy bit of my hand once.

Heard a crunch sound when it happened. More surprising than anything else. I think I was around 8 or something.

No writing related injuries though.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

That's a shitty knife.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

One time I split my scalp open in a doctor's office. I was trying to jump up onto the examining table thing, but they had some cabinets located directly above it, and my head impacted the corner at high speed.

On the plus side, a doctor's office is a very convenient place to get hurt. They gave me some stitches and sent me on my way.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Or perhaps a trailer hitch? Walking into those things hurts like a son of a...

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Not from writing, but i get finger injuries weekly from Netball.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago
Apparently I really liked looking at the floor when I ride on bikes. My grandpa would ride me to school everyday but for some reason I decided to really, like REALLY, get a good look at the floor whizzing by us, when I fell face first onto it. This happened twice in two years because I obviously can't learn from my mistakes. The entire left half of my face was kinda torn off, but strangely left no scarring at all. I was still pretty young when this happened though (I was six) so maybe that's why.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

When I was learning how to ride bicycles, it was like the thing was possessed. Seemed to try to kill me in various ways. Once my brakes cut out when I accidentally drove off of a slope, and living in Arizona, the only thing at the bottom was cacti. Lots of cacti. Took me about three hours to get all the spines out. Later, my back brake didn't work, only my front one. All I have to say is, good thing I wore a helmet. Three years later I crashed into a van when I finally got over the fear of my bicycle and tried using it again. Finally, four years later, I outgrew the bike and my family bought a new one. Finally learned how to ride bicycles. Thank God for the new bike.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

When i younger and was riding bikes one time i was riding down a hill when the wheel popped and i got thrown of and VERY narrowly missed getting run over by a car.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

As for non-writing injuries, I have totally split my thumb open. Or, rather, in half. With a filet knife. I was smart kid, but I occasionally had some... really fucking dumb ideas. *sigh* Usually from me over-estimating my abilities.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

You'd be surprised how often things like that occur. The whole being smart while being idiotic at the same time thing. 

6 year old me: Let's dance on the lightpole that mom's said hundreds of times not to do! *falls* Oh, hey, look, there's a laceration on my leg, almost from ankle to knee. And I see white at the bottom of the cut. *doesn't even go to the hospital - bandaids and bandages are totally all that's needed for a cut like that from a rusty metal thing.* *2 weeks later dancing on the lightpole again*

7 year old me: The neighborhood cat is really really mean. Let's throw it to teach it a lesson! And to see if cats really do land on their feet all the time. *throws cat. Cat attacks and it ain't pretty.*

14 year old me: Wonder if this bouncy ball is as bouncy as it's advertised. *bounces it in the house, and it breaks a painted plate made by my sister several years ago.*

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

XD. Human curiosity is hilarious.

8 year old me: Oh no, I threw the ball we were playing catch with into a cactus. I'm sure I can get it! *Hand goes numb from number of cactus needles. Couldn't move it for about an hour. No need for serious medical care. Just pull out the needles, use some rubbing alcohol, and it'll be fine.*

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

My wrist is weird ever since I wrote over 50 chapters worth of outlines in two weeks for my AP Biology class in high school.

It feels kinda weak and feels like it needs to be cracked. It also doesn't exactly hurt. It just feels wrong somehow.

Outside of writing related injuries, I burned off my thumb's fingerprint when I was ten or so. I saw a curling iron falling into the sink and panicked. I grabbed the hot section with my thumb, but managed to avoid getting my whole hand. That was miserable as we were on vacation at the time and it was in the 90's. The place we were staying didn't have central air or air conditioners. The finger print came back, but there's parts of it that were still missing when I looked at my fingerprints during a science class.

I also fell and scraped and cut my other thumb on the sidewalk in a pool of muddy water. It became infected. I was terrified of going to the hospital as my grandmother was a x ray tech that had filled my early years with graphic tales of infections gone wrong. I was 14 or 15 at the time. I didn't tell my parents. I cleaned it out and poured hydrogen peroxide on it. I washed it out every day, until the redness and swelling subsided.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Wow Blue, that is a scary tale, the one about the infected cut. Really nice job dealing with it though.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

...filing this under "things I didn't know could possibly happen." Also "body horror." >_<

Glad you're better. Try not to do it again, k?

Finger Injuries

7 years ago
Why is your thumb anywhere near the shift key?

Finger Injuries

7 years ago
That was my thought, exactly.  It's an amazing feat, worthy of the record books, that swedishlemon could type with upside-down hands and not dislocate several fingers in the process.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

It's possible, but yeah you have to go out of your way to hit it! I'll stick to using my pinkie finger.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

You know how when your hand is near the P key and you need to press shift but your left hand is holding something so you bend your thumb under your hand and press the shift key from there?

Finger Injuries

7 years ago
Seems like you could at least turn loose of it long enough to type.  :P

Finger Injuries

7 years ago
No. Because I type with two hands like you're supposed to.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Bucky's old-fashioned.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

I just figured he was a deformed freak and his finger locations were the opposite of normal people.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Never had writing-related injuries. Heck, I've never broken a bone, gotten stung by bees, or sprained anything. I guess I'm just lucky. 

One Christmas when I was around the age of three or four, I pulled my stocking down but forgot there was a heavy metal letter that holds it with a hook. Pulled the letter down with me and bang, nearly cracked my skull.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago
I once was writing down things to get from the store and when I got down to mid-way through the word dildo I accidentally clicked the pen I was writing with and the spring broke so the pen flew into my eye and right out the back of my head. I went to the hospital and they said I was perfectly fine - miraculously I avoided any injury to my brain.

I then came to this thread and suffered brain damage.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Mhmm.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

....that sounds like the best injury ever.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Well, hopefully you remembered to buy the dildo, at least.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

XD

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

I broke my finger in a fight last year, so I couldn't type, which was cool because I didn't have to do shit for class. Still, those fucking "Did she sneeze?" jokes were painful.

Not from writing, but typing related, I suppose.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

I got mild brain damage for being hit by a car and dragged by my face for 90 feet when i was three. 

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Holy balls, that is disturbing...

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Yeah, you need to elaborate on that one a bit.

That one could be horrifyingly tragic, seriously bad ass, or bloody hilarious (or all three) depending on the story.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago
His brain got a little mis-wired. Every time he hears a fart, his bowels loosen up on impulse.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

@endmaster I was in the parking lot of a apartment complex in bangor, mom got up from where she was sitting on the steps and whent inside  to get more cigarettes about 30 seconds after she whent inside a car came flying around the corner into the parking lot and hits my shoulder and the hanging license plate snages my face. What saved me was the trike geting stuck in one of the cars rear tires. The driver was drunk.  I dont like to talk about it.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Ouch man, I'm sorry, stupid drunk drivers. I hope the bastard served time behind bars.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Most three year olds die getting hit by a car, but then getting dragged 90 feet on your face should have been the deal breaker.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Just do what I do, type with three fingers!!!

you think I'm kidding, don't you

Im not

I only use my index fingers and my left middle finger to type. Maybe if I need a far away key fast enough, my right middle finger too.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

@Royce - Assuming you were serious, don't talk about that kind of thing here.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

kiel

thank you. I think I was getting sick.

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Poor lemons... ;(

This apple was also left distraught. 

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Q.Q

My eyes... my eeeeeyes! They burn with Royce's awful, awful imagery!

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Finger Injuries

7 years ago

Didn't do this while writing, but every now and again I get pins and needles in my pinkie. So I try to mess around with to get some feeling in it again... Long story short I managed to break my pinkie doing that.