Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

BZ's Creatures of the Night Contest!

5 years ago
Commended by TharaApples on 1/7/2023 3:13:09 PM

BZ's

Creatures of the Night Contest!

Theme: Non-Human Protagonists, Darkness, Hunger, Insanity.

Format: CYOA

Deadline: November 1st at 0000 hrs Eastern Standard Time

Focus:

The primary focus of the plot and/or setting must involve playing a Non-Human protagonist of some kind. What that particular Creature of the Night does in the game is up to the author, but the above themes of Darkness, Hunger, and Insanity (or dwindling sanity/humanity) should be felt in the reading.

Entry Requirements & Prizes:

You must formally declare intent to enter the contest in this thread, as there is a point entry fee. Hopefully, this will motivate people to finish and reward those who honor their commitments

People can choose to enter the contest for 25, 50, 75, 100, or 125 points. Upon entering, those points will be deducted from your total. Upon submitting a contest story which meets minimum contest standards, you will get either 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 points back (depending on how much they entered for).

1st Place Winner will get a PDF Copy of the Vampire the Masquerade 5th Edition roleplaying game, in addition to 100 points for winning the contest, my Glorious Mustache Trophy, a Commendation, and a Featured Story if it's good enough to merit featuring.

2nd Place Winner will get an additionally 50 points and a possible Commendation, if it's good enough to merit one.

3rd Place Winner will get an additionally 25 points and a possible Commendation, if it's good enough to merit one.

If you do not submit a contest story which meets minimum contest standards by the deadline, you will not receive any rewards or points back.

To eliminate any possible confusion, the first number is your entry fee, and the second would be your reward. And this is just for submitting an acceptable entry. The Winners will receive additional points on top of their initial reward.

25 -> 30

50 -> 60

75 -> 90

100 -> 120

125 -> 150

Recap: Stories will not be valid entries unless the site member formally announces his or her intent to enter the contest in this thread with the amount of points he or she wishes to stake.

* See EndMaster for rules regarding your service to him if your entry sends you into negative points.

* Stories that cannot meet minimum site standards count the same as a non entry and get SHAME.

* One entry per site member. No alternate accounts.

Judging:

The judging panel will consist of Moderators/Administrators and selected highly esteemed community members that do not wish to enter.

5 years ago
Come one, come all - Your ticket Out-O-Shame has arrived!

Open to all - Members/Admin alike!

No minimum word count, no epic slog, no weakly update requirement. Just slap something down in the editor, pray it meets minimum site standards, and you are golden!

Sweet Sweet Redemption at last!

^v^

5 years ago

Okay, I'm in. I bet 25 points, it's probably the only one I can afford anyway. But could someone tell me, what happens if you don't finish in time?

5 years ago

If you didn't submit anything or your storygame didn't meet minimum site standards then you are SHAMED.

5 years ago

What happens then?

5 years ago

¯\_( ' - ' )_/¯

5 years ago

Your soul is forfeit

5 years ago

Um...okay.

5 years ago
Don't worry! As worthless noob trash, you literally have no reputation to lose. You can only improve yourself from here...unless you are in fact one of those unique and special people we sometimes get who start at rock bottom and then immediately begin digging down.

5 years ago

Like me!!!

5 years ago

Well, I have nothing to lose, especially if I write a short but compelling one. I'll toss in 25 points. 

5 years ago
Is this the only way to get out of shame, or will any story publishing do?

5 years ago
Has to be a contest entry.

I suppose you can always wait for the next one, but I'd try to get out by the end of the year, we've been talking about having less of them going forward.

5 years ago
Ah, good to know. I have until the 25th to declare, right? Perhaps I'll have an idea by then.

5 years ago
Ah here it is.

Horror is not a strength of mine, I'm going to hold off on joining until I'm sure I have a solid and SHORT concept in mind but I think this will appeal to a lot of people here.

(btw something funky is going on with the red text when this appears in the front page announcements)

5 years ago
Yeah, I saw that text merging together. I think it's handling spacing differently for some reason.

Anyway, this doesn't have to be horror. Just non-human protagonist. The horror themes above, just add bonus elements to help making the judging easier.

5 years ago

I'm joining. Just woke up (7 am here). Betting 75 points unless it's possible to get a point loan in which I'd bet 125.

Edit: I better not regret this. I have an entrance exam next week and a 15 page essay due in two days. I feel like the protagonist of Before Midnight.

5 years ago

Okay, first person already has signed up, let's hope this goes better than last contest.

Contest Participants So Far

Chanbot/Ford (125)

Corgi213 (125)

ericyopy (25)

Jacoder23 (75)

Leora (50)

lordkarstark (25)

LuvLee (75)

Mizal (125)

Samyers0616 (25)

stargazer (25)

Steve24833 (125)

ultraoverlord (25)

WouldntItBeNice (125)

5 years ago

Wow, a theme that isn't open ended or weird to do. Let me whip up 25 points real quick for the bare minimum and LET'S DO THIS.

I will announce my participation officially later because this is a very interesting theme with some good looking outcomes and I promise that this time, I'm actually gonna think of something good and do good. But for now, I will be back.

Let me get back like 5% of the points I lost.

5 years ago

I am throwing in my gauntlet! Put me down for a full 75 points!! Seems fitting for an October contest. I am relatively new on this site, but I accept the challenge. 

5 years ago
When is the deadline to enter?

5 years ago
No Entries will be accepted after October 25th, unless we feel otherwise at the time.

5 years ago
If it's not too late (it's currently October 24th, 7:45 PM Eastern), I'd like to put the minimum of 25 down, if possible. A few days ago I finally got a relevant idea, and it's Halloween soon, so I hope to add something related to the topic by the 1st.

5 years ago

Ok, now I am OFFICIALLY entering the contest with 25 points on the table because I am barely alive in the point department right now. 

5 years ago

I am going to regret this but, put me in for 25 points

5 years ago
Well we're guaranteed at least one true horror story now at least...

5 years ago

19 days have past yet I have nothing.  I am fucked 

5 years ago
I wouldn't start worrying about it until the night before the deadline.

5 years ago
Damn well I'm as disappointed as anyone the judges won't have to read through 20k versions of these.

5 years ago

Pity.

5 years ago
Pity that the judges won't have to read 20k word stories of what Mizal posted, or pity FOR them if they have to?

5 years ago

Either way I won’t be reading anything as usual.

5 years ago

I wish to enter for 25 points

5 years ago
Put me down for max bet. I've got a month, what could go wrong.

5 years ago

The Discord is so helpful. This question was formally asked in vain. Now it is overridden with totally pointless life wasting text.

5 years ago
Don't use #townsquare for anything but pointless life wasting text omg that's like the first lesson anyone is supposed to learn. Also, mute #townsquare.

5 years ago

Did...did I sin?

5 years ago
@Digit wants to know if succubi count as non-human.

5 years ago

Since when are succubi considered human? They're fucking demons.

5 years ago
Exactly.

5 years ago
Actually, in his story, they’re anime!

5 years ago
Probably depends if it's a literal or figurative succubus lol.

5 years ago
Words are hard.

5 years ago
Note: Starting off your story as human is OK, if the majority of the story is from the non-human perspective.

5 years ago

That is a good clarification.

5 years ago

Oh, yay. I was just going to ask.

5 years ago
@EbonVasilis You're going to redeem yourself from your current low and shameful state, yes?

5 years ago

I will, but I need to get 25 points first. 

5 years ago
Just rate all my storygames an 8/8. That's a quick way to get some points!
Oh, glad to see you'll be entering too.

5 years ago

I'll let you borrow 125 of my points if that'll help, Ebon. 

5 years ago

@EbonVasilis

5 years ago

I cordially accept your offer.

5 years ago
How far the mighty have fallen.

5 years ago

I'd like some clarification and for some things to be set in stone before I enter.

Are there any limitations regarding the universe the story is set in, the rating, or anything else like that?

5 years ago
It has to meet minimum site standards (rate a 3 or higher), but pretty much the only way get below that is to have an incomplete story with broken links and many heinous grammatical errors. Considering this post doesn't look like a four-year-old scribbled it with a crayon, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

5 years ago

Are... are you still here? Dear god, man, I thought you'd finished your trolling months ago! Hello again, you libertarian fascist.

5 years ago
I don't have the time at all to do this contest and I really need to finish up a side project I've been going at for months, do my college work, and contunie working at the jobsite.

Put my down for 125 please!

5 years ago

Put me on for a maximum bet of 125 points please!

5 years ago

I guess I'll join. This will be my first contest, time to see if I'm worth anything on here. 25 point bet.

5 years ago

Also, question: how non-human does it have to be? Could I do a variant of human that's been corrupted or infected in some way, or does it have to be something that isn't even remotely human?

5 years ago

Dwindling humanity means that they once had humanity, so yeah, that's fine.

5 years ago
Ah screw it, put me in for 50 points.

5 years ago

Is there...uhhh...is there a minimum length requirement?

I'm nowhere near active on this site, haven't been on in about two years or so, sorry.

5 years ago

Nah

5 years ago
tldr in 125

5 years ago
Huh, I'm not sure what to post here, just 'lol' by itself is the first thing that comes to mind but I've been using that a lot lately.

5 years ago
leora made me do it

5 years ago
So she's trying to get you banned?

5 years ago
No, I said that he should enter because I actually believe he can do it if he tries. I also warned him that he could be banned. To be honest I didn't expect him to actually enter.

5 years ago
This would save the Pibot account from its scheduled end of the year execution too if he could pull it off.

Writing 3000 words in a month is super hard though, I just don't know...

5 years ago

Wouldn't save Pibot. Ford still has to complete his goals to do that and unless he's been really quiet about it, I doubt if he's writing 10 stories by the end of the year.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing Tardbot, Cuntbot or whatever wacky name Ford comes up with for his next alt after Berka's contest.

5 years ago
I thought Pibot was bet on whether he'd finish at least one, while Chanbot was bet on getting all 10. I can't seem to find the thread to confirm though.

5 years ago

5 years ago
Oh.

Poor Pibot never had a chance.

5 years ago
"Made" is a strong word there :P

5 years ago
sorry, *fucked me into submission

5 years ago

Stop flirting, twat-omelettes. 

5 years ago

Don't be jealous, you frjgid femcuck. One of them's Ford and the other's fucking him. I genuinely don't know which one got off worse. I mean, Leora definitely didn't get off, by you catch my drift.

5 years ago

5 years ago
Put me down for 125 points.
I'm pretty sure I can make this deadline.

5 years ago

Updating the list.

Chanbot/Ford (125)

Corgi213 (125)

ericyopy (25)

Jacoder23 (75)

Leora (50)

lordkarstark (25)

LuvLee (75)

Mizal (125)

RedComm (25)

Samyers0616 (25)

simplesabley (125)

stargazer (25)

Steve24833 (125)

ultraoverlord (25)

WouldntItBeNice (125)

5 years ago
@Chanbot Wanna make the usual bet?

5 years ago
Wow, you really do have it out for him. Does the site really use up so much of his time? Are you thinking he could learn to dress himself without it?

5 years ago
On the contrary, I want him to succeed.

5 years ago
What's the usual bet?

5 years ago
Drinks from the vending machine in Engineering, obviously :P That's what we always bet with.

5 years ago
Bullshit, you meant the thing where he bets his account on winning. Don't tell him to do that. We definitely don't want him to do that, everyone already knows he couldn't possibly succeed.

5 years ago
Why would I mean that? He's done it once, I'd hardly call it "usual". Every time we bet on something in real life, I have to buy him an energy drink when I lose.

EDIT: Also he's already twice shamed if I'm not mistaken, so that bet would be irrelevant.

5 years ago
You are mistaken.

5 years ago
He's in the twice shamed section of the Epic SHAME thread.

5 years ago
Producing a qualifying entry for a contest is not the same as winning a contest.

You tried but you get a D minus for not reading good.

5 years ago
My comment "He's already twice shamed if I'm not mistaken."

Your response: "You are mistaken."

It seems my error was in thinking the bet would be irrelevant. That has nothing to do with my reading. I was not mistaken about the thing I said "if I'm not mistaken" about. I respect your intelligence, so I trust I don't need to break down the sentence structure to show which part that phrase refers to. Maybe you should read closer next time.

5 years ago
Are we really going to do this?

Okay.

In the post I responded to you said the bet would be irrelevant, which was incorrect. You were mistaken.

You did take the time to cut your "quote" off halfway but it didn't do much good since you then turned around and referenced the rest of the line, and also because people can scroll up slightly and read things.

5 years ago
I cut it off to show which half of the sentence was being referred to, which should have already been implied from the way it was structured anyway. I had no intention of hiding anything. I know now that you were referring to the bet being irrelevant, but the way you repeated my own phrasing made that very easy to misunderstand. Either way I think we can both read perfectly well.

5 years ago
Everyone, anytime a thread goes leora mizal leora mizal: uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

5 years ago
Because that happens so frequently?

5 years ago

Nailed it!- LOL.

5 years ago
bet agreed to irl today: If I submit something Leora will buy me a drink from the vending machine in the engineering building.

5 years ago
Enjoy your free drink, Leora. That is, unless you weren't smart enough to also tell him that he has to buy you a drink if he loses. If so, you just made an awful bet.

5 years ago
I did tell him that, though I care more about the motivation than the free drink. I don't want him to get banned.

5 years ago

Well you can always take his place if he fails to submit something. Just let me know if you agree to this deal.

5 years ago
*walks up to the front door with dirty boots*

5 years ago
Uh... no. I've put too much work into my storygames to have them wiped out because Ford gets lazy. Besides, something tells me I couldn't get away with coming back as alts the way he does.

5 years ago
Wow, cold. But I guess we always knew she didn't really love him.

5 years ago
Even I'm not pathetic enough to think that refusing to erase my own hard work so that someone else doesn't have to be inconvenienced means I don't really love them. I'm not quite that messed up in the head XD

5 years ago

Actually even if Ford fails to turn in something, you can still avoid banning if you get first place.

Hell, the points you win can be matched towards his soul transfer fund.

Anyway the deal is on the table.

5 years ago

Updating the list.

Chanbot/Ford (125) (DONE)

Corgi213 (125) (DONE)

Crescentstar (125) (DONE)

EbonVasilis (125) (DONE)

ericyopy (25) (DONE)

Fluxion (25) (DONE)

Jacoder23 (75) (SHAME)

Leora (50) (DONE)

lordkarstark (25) (SHAME)

LuvLee (75) (DONE)

Mizal (125) (DONE)

Ogre11 (125) (DONE)

OriginalClamurai (25) (DONE)

RedComm (25) (SHAME)

Samyers0616 (25) (DONE)

simplesabley (125) (SHAME)

stargazer (25) (SHAME)

Steve24833 (125) (DONE)

ultraoverlord (75) (DONE)

WouldntItBeNice (125) (DONE)

5 years ago
That's a pretty impressive list. I can't wait to see the results ^_^

5 years ago

I would like to enter with a 25 point wager.  Thank you.

5 years ago

Dang, I'm starting to wish I'd bet more.

5 years ago
Go for it! Time to double-down!

5 years ago

If that's even allowed, I'd like to go 75.

5 years ago
Go full metal or join the Navy like Digit. Weak.

5 years ago

Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm 125 yet. Just testing the waters here.

5 years ago

Steven and Mizal are entertaining?
Not a chance.

5 years ago

Steven? Jesus, why the fuck are you calling me that?

5 years ago

Holy crap. A slip of the keys. My apologies D:

5 years ago
Steeph

5 years ago
Who the hell is OriginalClamurai?

5 years ago
Well I've had a little setback now in the form of at least eight pages being deleted because Scrivener doesn't play nice with cloud storage.

5 years ago
Great news I've...started a new story.

Everything is fine. :)

5 years ago
Still plenty of time to procrastinate a little more... ^v^

5 years ago
What if she procrastinates procrastinating?

5 years ago
Hey I made pretty decent progress yesterday, and will do more tomorrow.

You have to understand I wrote my ass off Friday and Saturday, so that when I sat down yesterday to try and redo what had been eaten I realized that I would literally rather die. It just was not meant to be.

But two thirds of the replacement story will use the same plot just modified for the new setting so whatever. I'll see what happens.

5 years ago

Not expecting to win, but it's an interesting topic. Hi again everyone.

5 years ago
Welcome and best of luck :)

5 years ago
Hi Cres! It's good to see you around again. I wish you the best of luck for the contest (though barely not enough luck to beatm me).

5 years ago

Thank you. I wouldn't mind if you beat me haha.

5 years ago
We're not that kind of site.

5 years ago
Well this should be interesting. Wasn't expecting anyone but desperate SHAMED burnouts to enter this one tbh.

e: forgot you were also SHAMED by that was quite awhile ago in Internet time. Still it'll be interesting to see how your writing style has developed.

5 years ago
Hey! I resemble... er, I mean resent that!

5 years ago

OK, so like a total noob I am nervous about my entry into the COTN Contest and it just occurred to me to ask, "How do we designate our published story as our entry and distinguish it from, idk another story we may be thinking of releasing within the month that we have been working on alongside our COTN Contest entry?" I am about 60% done before final cleanup of my entry. Depending on how much free time I get in the next 7 days from my 60+ hour normal day-to-day job, this may all be a useless hypothetical question. I am hoping I will finish both shortly. Anyone?  

5 years ago
Use a contest entry tag and provide a link to the story here in the thread when you publish. Good luck!

5 years ago

Thanks mizal. :) 

5 years ago

Do "Darkness, Hunger, and Insanity" have to "be felt" in every path of the story? From what I have, some paths miss out on one of the aspects. Similarly, do these themes have to be felt throughout the reading or eventually "in the reading"?

5 years ago
I think the only requirement is having a non-human protagonist. The Darkness, Hunger, and Insanity themes are more ideas to go off of than strict rules from what I can grasp. You should be fine ^_^

5 years ago

Even then, it would inherently just involve not a fully human protagonist, given dwindling humanity's important.

5 years ago
I was gonna edit this in earlier, but Steve had to go and reply to me :P If you're still worried, BZ clarified this earlier in the thread:

"Anyway, this doesn't have to be horror. Just non-human protagonist. The horror themes above, just add bonus elements to help making the judging easier. "

5 years ago

Oh! Okie. :D It wasn't very clear to me.

5 years ago
All Right!

One week to go. Good luck with your Contest Entries!

I look forward to seeing what everyone has come up with. Hope we free some of the unwashed mases from the Pit O Shame with this one, haha! ^v^

5 years ago
So hey, BZ... based on the "no entries accepted after Oct 25," I'm still okay to enter now, right? 'Cause no one likes being in the pit... well, actually, based on how many people are in the pit, and how long a number of people have been in there, I guess some people LIKE being in the pit... but I'd rather not be...

So anyway, I'd enter for 125 if I'm not too late. This isn't my forte, but I've got an idea and plan. My story kept trying to be silly (because that's what works for me), but it's been interesting trying to force the story to be more insane.

5 years ago

*cheers*

5 years ago
Did my entry request from yesterday count as well? I’d really like out of the Pit of Shame. It’s a mental scarlet letter gnawing on my undead soul.

5 years ago
Almost time to start!

5 years ago
Here is my entry. All shiny and chrome.

5 years ago
Nice. Congrats on putting something together!

5 years ago

Here's my entry. It's kinda short, but I'm proud that I did it on time.

5 years ago

5 years ago

Did the title's font change? I like it!

5 years ago
Unfortunately I have to drop out of the contest. Some things outside of my control have come up and I won't be able to finish my story by tomorrow. I will work on it again when I can and publish eventually though.

Best of luck to everyone else, I look forward to seeing everyone's hard work.

5 years ago
Aww, you got so far! I'm still looking forward to reading it when it's eventually published. I hope whatever came up works out alright.

5 years ago
My entry is finished! I duodecuple-checked it for bugs, but my damaged brain may have missed something. Please let me know in the comments or PM me if I did so I can fix it after the judging. The Dark Lord's Tower

5 years ago
sucks. 1/8

5 years ago
no u

5 years ago

Because I am a failure everything at anything related to writing. I have to drop out.

5 years ago
Really it would've been more accurate if you'd left 'related to writing' out entirely.

Nice job fucking up the grammar even on your two sentence surrender statement though, that's dedication!

5 years ago

gLad you like it

5 years ago

Honestly, because I am stupid, I have to drop out too. I should just let go and fall into the SHAME pit.

5 years ago
Um, why are you posting this on November 2nd? I sense trolls nearby...

5 years ago

I don't know. I sent that days ago. By the way, THIS post is on November 2nd. Hmm... computer problems? Dunno.

5 years ago

I'm so ready to put out my last minute entry. Just you guys wait.

5 years ago

*cheers* :D

5 years ago

It'd technically be legal to submit at 11:59 PM on Halloween. Game on?

5 years ago
You can do it!

5 years ago
Here's my entry. I avoided shame and wrote more in 2nd person. I wish I had more time this month. I did way less than I wanted, and I had to change the tone from what I was originally going for.

5 years ago
Congrats! I hope it's not terrible but either way you're still ahead of Ebon right now!

5 years ago
Just a note to you guys who fail to produce an entry for this one: after this there will be maybe one last chance to unSHAME yourself for the year. We've been talking about scaling back the number of contests next year, so opportunities will be fewer and far between. Get out now or expect to languish for awhile.

5 years ago
That's exactly why I wrote something.

5 years ago

What exactly happens in the SHAME pit? Besides being shunned and all that, is there a legit restriction or something?

5 years ago
There's some serious sexual things that go on in there...I'm not at liberty to talk about them...or else...

5 years ago

5 years ago

It's 2 am here and I've got a few hours to spend not sleeping to finish this.

Hopefully, my story doesn't scare me to the point I hallucinate but then again that would mean I wrote a bad horror story. I guess it's technically not a horror contest but my general goal is to scare the reader.

Edit: Holy shit, I can't even see or think straight anymore but I might just be able to finish. Won't be nearly as in depth as I intended but at this point anything I submit getting a rating over 4 is major win for me.

Second edit: This is bad, ahhh this is bad. The descriptions are bad, narrative is bad. Ahhhh

5 years ago

Don't worry, no matter how bad it is mine's worse. 

5 years ago

Okay I'm just gonna be honest, there's supposed to be a "true ending" gimmick where you have to play the game twice but with a new option unlocked. Yes, it sounds like Undertale but hopefully it makes up for the incredibly low word count it's gonna have. Still not used to writing for people who can actually interact with the story.

5 years ago

That's the same problem I had

5 years ago

5 years ago
Final Stretch. Only a handful of hours to go!

Glad to see we have a decent number of entries too!

5 years ago
Go! Go! Go! You can do it, everyone!

5 years ago

Just got off work. Let’s see if I can pull this off.

5 years ago
You've got this, Ebon! Don't get banned.

5 years ago

You deserve a trophy.

5 years ago
Lol for what?

5 years ago

For being so positively supportive of fellow CYStians.

5 years ago

Didn't even know Ogre joined the contest.

5 years ago
He joined on the last day he possibly could. But hey, it got him out of the shame pit ^_^

5 years ago
Indeed, that was the plan all along (I actually had to make sure I had all the paths planned before I wanted to join so I knew I had a chance to actually finish the story in time).

5 years ago
And now I can get back to my epic story, or maybe the archeological student one, that one is really fun...

5 years ago

5 years ago
Congrats on getting it done ^_^ Can't wait to read through all the paths.

5 years ago

:D

5 years ago

5 years ago

Okay, fucking FORD turned something in.

If you lot can't even beat FORD at doing something so simple then you truly are fucking hopeless.

5 years ago
Holy crap.

5 years ago
You did it! I'm so proud of you <3

5 years ago

Another one.

5 years ago
Read this in Khaleds' voice.

5 years ago

There's around 3 hours left right?

5 years ago
Just about. Write, write as fast as you can!

5 years ago

Ok, this was a rush project. I totally underestimated the time that I would have since the last contest lasted a century.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/harbinger

There you go, just in time. May not be my best piece of literature but at least it's "complete." I probably need to take a break before my head explodes.

I am also quite surprised at the turnout this contest. Congrats to everyone who was able to turn something in.

5 years ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/pride's-hunt

Yeah, I still haven't figured out how to properly link things, but there it is. My 4 hour pile of rushed words. I'm thinking it will stay above site standards, and honestly, I quite like it. Even though it is less than 5k, has two endings, and likely many errors. In any case, I finally managed to write something. Freedom here I come.

5 years ago
a href = "game url" ( in <>) Whatever text you want the link to be , then /a (in <>) Like this

5 years ago

Contest entry- in under the wire. 

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/vapula

5 years ago

5 years ago

Why do I have so much trouble doing the link thing? Thanks Leora :D

5 years ago

Let me try again:

"http://chooseyourstory.com/story/vapula"

Did it work?- nope!

<http://chooseyourstory.com/story/vapula>

ugh!  copied link from above- 

Link

5 years ago
No problem ^_^

5 years ago
Well, here's my story, at the 11th hour. I didn't really get to start on this until days before the deadline, but hopefully it's entertaining. There will be a Part II at some point, but this is a self-contained story.

By the Light of Day

As I'm notorious for screwing up hyperlinks, here is the link in text: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/by-the-light-of-day

I reserve the right to have a catastrophic failure somewhere in that story. The scripting was me biting off way more than I can chew, although you won't be able to notice by playing it... unless you end up reaching some catastrophic failure... ;)

5 years ago
If this story doesn't bore you and you're interested in some additional backstory, the book item, "De Apocalypsis Ioannis, et abominationem in desplationem," has a some background information about the Nephilim (vampires) and the state of the world. As written in the description, these vampires are of angelic origin, but outside of the book item, little of this is discussed.

5 years ago
Christ in Heaven, I like this story, but I really should have started way earlier. Writing 90% of a story on the due date is a bad idea.

5 years ago

5 years ago

Cutting it close there Corgi.

5 years ago

At least I have that sexy Halloween publish date lol

5 years ago
Very eerie. I have no idea who some of the people are though like the chicken lady or kartsak. I can imagine these people know me because I'm THE Ford, y'know, from TV.

5 years ago

Who couldn't know THE Ford?

5 years ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/two-wolves

Literally two minutes before deadline

5 years ago
Bro, the deadline is 0000 EASTERN time. You missed it by 58 minutes.

5 years ago

EST time man check the first post

https://time.is/EST

5 years ago
Bruh, it's totally 1:04 EST

5 years ago

5 years ago

Nvm I'm a big doo doo head

5 years ago

,https://i.imgur.com/4KrJwNs.jpg

Okay but seriously

5 years ago
Well, I suppose it's up to BZ. Anyway, if you did miss the deadline in his book, again, you don't have to worry about immediately fixing problems ;).

But if you did and you are granted mercy, I need some of that mercy too so I can fix the errors in my story!

5 years ago
There's a World Vegan Day???

Burn everything.

5 years ago

I DID ALL THE WRITING OVER 12 HOURS

The actual story probably sucks but damn if my procrastination is powerful then my cramming powers are equally so.

5 years ago
I pretty much did the same thing, and unfortunately there are some errors in my story that a more thorough proof reading and more careful examination of the on-page scripting would have fixed. But since you actually missed the deadline, you could unpublish and fix whatever problems are in it right now, if there are any ;).

5 years ago

Sorry to break it to you, but the deadline was an hour ago. It was eastern not central.

Maybe they'll take pity on you.

5 years ago

EST Time my dude

https://time.is/EST

5 years ago
That's EDT my friend. Look at the notice that pops up when you click that link.

5 years ago

Oh shit

5 years ago

Welp I'm an idiot

5 years ago
Maybe BZ will still accept it... We'll just have to wait and see.

5 years ago
Will have to discuss with the other judges...

5 years ago
When this has happened with other contests, the entry was disqualified but they still avoided SHAME.

5 years ago
So the official ruling is that the Management cannot be held responsible for Self-Inflicted Shame Wounds to the Head.

5 years ago
Uh... I hate to tell you, but the deadline was an hour ago...

5 years ago
This was actually quite an amazing showing when looking at the numbers!

Looking back at the last seven contests (inlcuding this one), not including the epic one (because that one throws the numbers far out of whack), the average completion rate is 53%. So with 20 entries, you would expect just 10 or 11 actual stories posted.

But this one appears to have 15 stories, a rate of 75%! That's quite impressive for contests here. Congrats to all who wrote something.

Oh, and if you include the epic contest (with a 25% completion rate), the overall completion rate drops to just under 50%, making this one even more impressive.

5 years ago
Wow! This will take some time to judge all of them haha!

Congrats all who made the deadline. :)

5 years ago
Haloween was so crazy for me, I just now was able to have a look at the turnout and damn, I was surprised too. Three of the entrants had their account riding on this, true, but I'm still surprised.

I think it being a welcome palate cleanser and easy escape from the pit after the months of ineffectual suffering of the Epic contest was definitely a factor.

5 years ago
OK, I finally finished getting through all these great submissions.

I'm really happy with the overall quality and didn't find anything that would have failed to meet minimum site standards.

I was really impressed with some of the original ideas for unusual protagonists and of course the traditional ones were also really well written.

Just waiting now on the other Judges before announcing a Winner! ^v^

5 years ago
Thanks for the fun contest!

5 years ago

Slogging through, probably done with half of them.

5 years ago
If I forgot to mention, I won't be judging this contest. No free time until second week of December.

Of course, if you wanted to be evil, you could tell everyone they have to wait ^_^

EDIT: I actually had planned on trying to enter, but yeah - there was no way that had any chance of happening at this time.

5 years ago
I didn't think you were a judge. We were already informed of who all was judging on Discord. Sorry you couldn't enter though, probably would have been a good story.

5 years ago
Me too, I had a fun idea. Also, being hyper-busy is kind of a drag.

5 years ago

Sent the entries. Surprisingly most of you did fairly well.

And some of you fucked up spectacularly as usual.

5 years ago

I'm going to take that as a compliment.

5 years ago

You actually didn't fuck up as much as some did despite MANY other people feeling VERY strongly that you fucked up.

Of course you still fucked up, but again you did about as well or better than some of the other fuck ups.

5 years ago

Yours was quite slated, and might be removed soon.

I didn't mind it, though, I gave it a 4.

5 years ago

Well checking this and then reading through my story again, I realized I really screwed up when it came to links...

Again.

I really need to proof read my stuff on CYS before hastily slapping it into the world because apparently rushing when trying to copy and paste is really difficult. However, it is nice to know that there was a lot of good submissions this time around.

5 years ago

I know what you mean. I started my storygame really late because I just didn’t have any ideas, and the result was some on page scripting errors that screwed up some grammar and punctuation. Additionally I had a less linear game play option, where you choose which town to go to, and the ending was supposed to just be the start of the third act (with a neat plot twist planned for the end).

Of course I’ll fix all of that sometime in the next month, and then work on Part II. I’m thinking three in total. But yeah, I need to quit this last minute stuff.

5 years ago

You could always just quit.

5 years ago

:)

5 years ago
I was already in the shame box. Er, pit of shame. I had to get out. Do you know what they do to you in there?

5 years ago

Yeah its horrible, but necessary.  How else would we realize that we must conform to every whim and wish of our Cystian masters.  They do know best, after all.

5 years ago
All Judging is in - tabulating results now and will post later today ^v^

5 years ago

Awesome to hear! That was quite quick.