Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

My boyfriend got hit by a truck. ._.

8 years ago

I feel so helpless; he's in the emergency room, and I don't know his condition. There's nothing I can do, but I'm so worried about him. I don't know what to do. Last time someone got hit by a truck in my family, it was my dad, and he ended up being in a coma for 6 months, and has been having problems ever since. ._. It's driving me crazy not knowing.

Anyone know any tips for dealing with this kind of thing?

Edit; Maybe overreacting, but I'm not exactly at my most rational at the moment.

8 years ago
3C's - Calm, Cool, and Collected. Act like you know what's going on, how it'll turn out, and plan ahead - eventually you'll believe it and it'll make you much calmer.

My friend was in a car accident and broke his spine (towards the bottom, luckily the bone exploded instead of imploded - so his spinal cord was fine) and all I did was calmly notify his parents, said everything is under control, and began to think and plan for the future (all I knew then was he broke his spine somewhere so I prepared for him to be a quadriplegic). He turned out fine - which is what I said would happen anyways.

Alternatively, make jokes like "I had a flat chest, but look who's flat now :D"

or "It's okay if you need a wheelchair, sure there will be some a-holes that make fun of you - just don't let them push you around xD"

8 years ago

I haven't even been able to see him. It was his mom who notified me of what happened. All I know is that he was crossing an intersection on his bike on his way home, and a pickup truck turned without seeing him. ._.

Th 3Cs don't usually work for me.

8 years ago

Well make them work, in the name of your bf :P

8 years ago

"It's DRIVING you crazy?" lol!

What? Too soon?

8 years ago

You're not overreacting at all. This could be a really bad thing, and you have personal experience with car accidents being really bad. I'm not going to tell you "he's probably fine." There's no way to know. But: I know people who were hit by cars, as pedestrians. They were hurt, but they were not seriously hurt.

That probably doesn't make you feel much better. I'm sorry that I can't really help. I have been there, waiting to hear if things are as bad as I was afraid they might be. They weren't, in my case. He made a full recovery.

I hope your boyfriend is okay, or going to be okay. Hang in there.

8 years ago

He was riding his bike, not walking, as far as I know. bike accidents tend to be worse.

8 years ago

...right. :/

How long has it been since you heard?

8 years ago

2-ish hours ago.

8 years ago

Okay. I was trying to think about whether it would be a good sign or a bad sign, if it was a really long time. I'm not really sure. But my experience with going to the ER is that if your condition is not putting you in mortal danger, then it could be a while. Definitely more than two hours.

Still. That's a long time to be waiting, in a super stressed-out state. Is there anything you do that is a thing you can focus on, even when you're stressed, that would take a couple hours to do? I would probably try to read a favorite book, if I was waiting at home. Maybe that sounds kind of wrong? I mean, your boyfriend could be hurt, and you're just sitting there reading a book? 

But there's literally nothing you can do to help. I think distracting yourself, and hopefully making the wait go a little faster, is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

8 years ago

Well, I fell asleep. >_< (It was past 11:00pm when I posted my last comment, and already exhausted from school.)

8 years ago

Literally the best way to make time pass faster! I just woke up myself. ;P

Letting us know what you end up finding out isn't actually something you need to do. But... yeah. If it's not just "he's fine" and you DO want to talk about it, we're here. Please feel free to PM me, any time, if that's a thing that seems like it might help.

8 years ago

Wow, that's terrible! Hope for the best.

8 years ago
It's never fun going through something like this...and the waiting is the worst part.  Morgan's advice is the only thing that has ever worked for me.  I can't read or concentrate on a movie, but walking around and talking with other people about things that are completely unrelated distracts me from descending into worry.  And worry has neither helped nor solved anything, ever, IMHO.

Edit:  I thought of an excellent distraction:  Try to help someone else through this who isn't taking it very well.

8 years ago

Shit. That sucks. Just hope for the best.

8 years ago
So sorry to hear that!

I'm hoping the lack of updates is because you're with him now.

8 years ago

Actually, my mom has been dragging me everywhere today. Haven't been able to get on until now.

But, I have gotten an update; He one or two broken bones, and maybe a couple of fractures, (bit sketchy on the extent of damage) but he'll be alright. Left wrist and knees/shins were the most damaged.

8 years ago

Glad to hear he's okay. *pat*

8 years ago

Thank God he's okay! If he didn't pull through I'd have become an atheist.

8 years ago

Very glad to hear this! Thanks for the update. 

Also... belated congratulations, on upgrading from "friend with mutual crush" to "boyfriend." ^_^

8 years ago

That's great news. Not the whole fractures/broken bones part, the fact that he's going to be fine.

8 years ago

I don't know you very well / at all but I'm glad that your boyfriend will be ok. It will be tough for a while but experiences like this help bring people together, once he comes out of hospital I expect he will need help from you and your other friends and there's a good community of people here too if you ever need extra support :) With time everything will be ok though :)

8 years ago

Broken bones are shitty. >_<

Glad to hear he's ok, Burritokitty. 

8 years ago

Damn, that sucks. I hope he gets better!

8 years ago

A lot of people turn to faith, their art, or to friends and family in moments like this. Try to remember that no news is good news and that human beings are shockingly durable at times. Kids, especially.

Some statistics to cheer you up:
You are more likely to die from driving around a stoplight intersection than you are from a hit and run.
You are almost twice as likely to die from having an accident due to being left-handed than you are from a hit and run.
You are 2 times as likely to die from choking on a meal than you are by a hit and run,
You are over 3 times more likely to die of accidentally eating food contaminated by raw meat than by a hit and run.
You are 4 times more likely to die of tripping and falling in your own home than because of a hit and run.
You are 16 times more likely to die from lightning than you are from a hit and run.
You are over 550 times more likely to die of a mosquito bite than you are from a hit and run.

My point being, people live through these sorts of things on a daily basis. Your boyfriend has a good chance of pulling through. Just be supportive where you can and try to keep yourself focused on other things instead of worrying yourself sick. I'll be around if you need to talk.

8 years ago

That's awful! I hope he gets better. My dog was hit by a car a few years ago so I (kind of) get what you're going through. It might not be as bad as you think it is. 

8 years ago

Scary stuff. Hope it works out for the best, Taco.

8 years ago

Agreed.

8 years ago

I am so concerned.

How did it happen? This....if this had happened to me, I would be flipping out and crying so hard right now. All you can do is hope for the best, Taco, and give him a "Get Well Soon" card from me.

*whispers* PLEASE LET TACO'S BOYFRIEND BE OKAY....PLEASE.....it would be sad to hear bad news right now ;-;

8 years ago

If you scroll up, you'll see that he's okay. Banged up, some fractures, but okay.

8 years ago

I wonder if this the Awkward Andy that we heard about. You know, the one that gets a boner whenever he gets near Taco 

8 years ago

I just assumed.

8 years ago
Sauce please.

8 years ago

8 years ago

Why do I find this so funny?

8 years ago

... I don't get the joke.

8 years ago

Ford asked for sauce, and Spartacus gave him sauce. And for some reason I don't fully understand, I find it funny. Maybe the randomness of it. Unless it's some inside joke or something, there was probably no actual joke.

8 years ago

[citation needed]

8 years ago

'Awkward Andy'? XD Pretty sure 'Andy' isn't his name.

8 years ago
So you're "pretty sure," but not completely sure... ;)

8 years ago

Try and stay calm. I hope he's OK, that must be awful. Just try and stay focused on other things. Keep your mind off it.

8 years ago

That must truck.

I seriously logged in just to say that.

I'll leave now.

8 years ago

That pun... is freighteningly forced.

8 years ago

your a girl? (Sorry, the name TacocaT is misleading for some reason...)

8 years ago

Is there something wrong with Taco being a guy? homophobic bigot

Also what the hell, what do tacos or palindromes have to do with men?

Furthermore, how do you know of it's "misleading" if you're asking for clarification?

8 years ago

Wait a sec, he's a guy? Oh... Ok. I see what you mean. I-I didn't mean to be offensive...... Plz don't be angry..

8 years ago

...Um, the fuck?

To clarify the first line was a joke (picturing myself getting that defensive over gays and gender made me laugh :P) and the second and third were legit...

When did I wver say he was a guy? Why does Taco's gender even matter to you? Why are you apologizing so profusely? What do you mean by "I see what you mean"??

What I "mean" is, you're a creepy dude.

8 years ago

Creepy?.. I'm sorry if i came across as creepy... I can take a hint..... I'll just leave.................

8 years ago

Yep, back to the neckbeard basement dungeon with you! D:<

8 years ago
Fazz, you're a bit creepy yourself to ask so many questions too this poor new member who has only just now decided to post on the forums xD

but really tho is taco a guy or a girl?

People should be more like swift, who is easily identifiable as a girl.

8 years ago

Wait, swift is a girl?

8 years ago

Fairly confident.

8 years ago

Grasswisker, I am a gal. I doubt that guys have breasts and wide hips. Fazz is just being Fazz again. XD Sorry about that.

Fazz, you are being a bit confusing with your choice of words. You stated it as though it were a fact that I was a guy. It probably would have been better to say something along the lines of 'Would there be a problem if Taco were to be a guy?' (notice the big 'if' there.)

8 years ago

My question is why you feel the need to mention having breasts and wide hips when there's two guys on the forum being 'creepy' at each other. Or the fact that you called them breasts and wide hips? Nobody says "breasts" or "wide hips" unless they're narrating a lemon. The proper colloquialisms are "Bewbages" and "Hippages", and you're quite obviously not used to having either of those things. Therefore, I can only assume that you're transgendered!... Or, 13, I dunno which...

8 years ago

There was a post here earlier where I said that I was tired at the moment of posting that, and I don't know what I was thinking. Apparently it got deleted.

And I'm not 13, or transgender.

8 years ago

Hey, you don't know if Tacockats a girl! Hating on gays I see.

8 years ago

I don't think it's hating. It seemed more like an assumption - in my experience, there are many many more people who are straight than gay, so it's only natural to assume that people are straight based off of past observation.

8 years ago

On the other hand, Ugilick suffered minor injuries in an accident not too long ago either.  Everything that gets me closer and closer to buying an SUV, I swear...

8 years ago

So... I am not usually the kind of person who makes sweeping statements about things that I think nobody should do, ever.

But. I have had some bad experiences, as a driver. And... many of you are young people, who might be learning to drive, now or soon, or have recently learned to drive. And I want to say something.

Don't Text And Drive, Kids.

I was rear-ended by a pretty young-looking guy, a while ago. I don't know, for sure, that he was texting. But if he was not in some way distracted by his phone... I would be very surprised. Because I was directly ahead of him, slowing down to turn, at an obvious intersection, with my turn signal on. And as far as I can tell, he did not slow down, and he hit me at full speed.

It's easy to think that you are better at being a person who uses a phone and drives, at the same time, than other people who do that thing. But. I guarantee you, that guy was on his phone because he thought he could do that, and drive safely.

He couldn't. I don't think anyone can, actually.

I wasn't hurt. My car was totaled, but his insurance paid up. I was mildly inconvenienced, basically.

He wasn't hurt. But... he had been driving his mother's car. He had previously had an accident, and had been at fault. His insurance was already high, and it was about to go up again. And... I got the impression that maybe someone had been hurt, in that previous accident. Though probably not seriously hurt, or killed. Because I think if that had happened, he would not have been back on his phone again, while driving.

Don't text and drive. Don't drink and drive, either. Do not operate a motor vehicle while impaired.

You could literally die, or kill someone. Please don't do that.

8 years ago
"He wasn't hurt. But... he had been driving his mother's car. He had previously had an accident, and had been at fault. His insurance was already high, and it was about to go up again. And... I got the impression that maybe someone had been hurt, in that previous accident. Though probably not seriously hurt, or killed. Because I think if that had happened, he would not have been back on his phone again, while driving."

Sorry to break it to you, Morgan, but the only thing that cures people of immaturity is wisdom, bought with age.  He may eventually grow out of it (if he survives long enough), but it's been my experience that a great many people never do.

"Don't text and drive. Don't drink and drive, either. Do not operate a motor vehicle while impaired."

Great advice, but people who "drink and drive" tend to never mentally/emotionally mature past the age of their first drink, so...

My mother's motto while driving was "Don't make me pull over and cut a switch!"  Translation:  Absolutely no distractions, of any kind, while driving, not even kids.  The older I get, the more I'm inclined to agree with that sentiment, though I'm not as sensitive or severe as she tended to be.

8 years ago

I see what you're saying, but... I don't think age has any direct affect on wisdom.

It's about life experience, mostly. And I think the experience of killing someone, because you were texting, would probably change most people's minds about whether they should text and drive.

With regards to drinking: I know people who will have a glass of wine with dinner, and drive.

I wouldn't. And not just because I don't drink. But... people do that, who are otherwise very reasonable people, in my experience. There's a whole sliding scale of 'dumb shit people do,' basically. >_<

And I know that telling people Don't Do That Dumb Thing is rarely effective. Which is part of why I rarely do it.

But I feel really strongly about this, so... what the heck. Maybe someone will read this, who's kind of on the fence, and it will actually tip them over the edge into not doing that thing. If not, well... it took a couple minutes of my time. No loss, from my perspective.

8 years ago
Yeah, I agree that age has very little to do with it.

I'm polarized on the issue of standing back and allowing people to drive after they've been drinking (having lost family members and people I've known to it, because someone else was allowed to drink and drive).  If I can't prevent them from doing so with my words, taking their keys, blocking their vehicle in with mine, etc, I notify the police and let them take care of it.  Heck, I've even been attacked for not relinquishing someones keys, once with a knife!  I refuse to have someone's death on my conscience.  I have a hard enough time sleeping as it is.

And I hope I can sway someone as well...

8 years ago

Now that the pressure's off, I gotta say that I laughed at the thread title :P

8 years ago

It does read a little bit like a "sigh... not again" reaction :)

8 years ago

Well, he does have several amusing stories surrounding him. Mostly involving water. Like the time we played tug-a-war with a floaty foam noodle thingy while I was in the pool and he forgot his swim suit and was sitting on the side in jeans/t-shirt. He got pulled in, and I had to pull him over to an area where he could touch his feet to the ground since he couldn't swim. (don't know how anyone could live without knowing how to swim.)

8 years ago
Glad I wasn't the only one. Haha.

8 years ago

One of these things is not like the other; one of these things does not belong.

8 years ago
I thought it might have been a metaphor until I read her post.

8 years ago

A metaphor for what?

8 years ago
I wasn't exactly sure, so I clicked on the thread to find out.

8 years ago

Like Ford said, just bullshit your way through it. It'll work. It always does. Hope he gets better.

I was hit by one of those new-fangled automobile doohickies once. Just minding my own business. Jaywalking. Then, out of nowhere, I hear a SCREEEEEEEEE.

And then it hit me. Both literally and figuratively. Like a doe in the headlights. Almost a John Doe in the headlights, if you catch my drift. I went flying. Almost like an angel, if you catch my drift. Puns.

Luckily, it wasn't going too fast, so all I got were a few scrapes and bruises.

The moral of the story is: Don't jaywalk. But if you do, don't stand like a fucking idiot in the middle of the road.

TL;DR: Joke, Jaywalking, Onomatopoeia, Joke, Puns, Not serious collision, PSA about jaywalking.

What the fuck am I doing with my life

8 years ago

You were jaywalking? There's a special place in hell reserved for people like you.

8 years ago

True.

8 years ago
The moral of the story is pay the fuck attention when you cross the street and value your damn life.

I got pulled over by the cops in British Columbia during my first few months of living there for Jaywalking. I thought it was weird, because who the fuck cares about Jaywalking.

Then I lived there for a while and understood. People casually walked across 4 lane streets not giving a fuck. Unsurprisingly, they had a high number of people hit by cars (hence why I was stopped and warned). Makes me wonder how people can value their lives so little that they trust entire strangers to not hit them.

8 years ago

In my defense, there was nobody in sight when I started.

The fuck? I understand two lanes, but four? That's a highway! I mean, at least walk in a group of 10+ people so that if you get hit, they'll go down with you at least one of you can watch for cars.

8 years ago

Oh Tim, our sweet, innocent Tim.

Never jaywalked a 4-lane in his life ;n;

8 years ago

Lol, thank God I wasn't the only one who laughed at the title.

Best of luck.

8 years ago

You guys are so mean.