Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

The Curse of Thunderdome 13, Duel A

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:12:53 AM
The kingdom of CYStia having been, er, "blessed" with some very vocal noobs of late, the people grew impatient and demanded their blood. A summons was sent out demanding they prove their worth in the arena. Of the three who were called, there was initially a scheduling issue with Alien, and superteller was said to have gone pale upon unfurling the scroll with the royal seal, and immediately fled town. However, sweet, simple Ravenic, who loves Jesus with all her heart and has never refused anything an adult told her to do, of course turned her own story in within the allotted time. So ANOTHER call was sent out, to find someone in the audience to step up and face her. ...which was met with a bit more enthusiasm than expected, and now we all have four stories to read, aren't you excited?! :D (In the interests of fairness, all contestants for both duels will enter the arena hooded and masked, meaning these will be the first '???? vs ????' duels in Thunderdome history.) So, without further ado, Stories A and B:

2 months ago
Story A: The Flighting Yelas took a deep breath, hoping to the gods that he had carved the flight runes correctly. The Flighting demanded that all boats used for the ritual must be self made, and he had been working on the runes for his vessel the moment his name was revealed in the bonfire several months ago. It took days of painstaking work, carving and re-carving the same runes for hours until he could replicate them perfectly on his boat. The boat itself took most of his time. Many a late night was spent working by torch light, whittling away at the old pine tree he had cut down until it resembled a proper air vessel. The time had come to test his masterpiece. If it remained airborne, he would begin the next phase of The Flighting. If it did not, he would die and bring great shame to his family. Remol, the ritual master, was getting impatient with how long Yelas was taking to give the go ahead. He could see it in the way the man paced. This was starting to drag on. Finally, after bracing himself for the worst, Yelas nodded. The two men standing alongside the boat began to hack into the supports holding it off the ground with their axes. Yelas could not bear to watch, shutting his eyes. The chopping seemed to sync seamlessly with Yelas's heartbeat as he waited for either a steep drop or silence. After what felt like an eternity, the men stopped, and Yelas slowly opened his eyes. The runes had done their work, and his vessel was indeed floating off the ground. Yelas allowed himself a small sigh of relief. The first part of the ritual had been passed. Remol helped to bring the boat down the the ground once more, then led the young man into the camp center and anointed him with oil. The tribes-people cheered, for the gods had granted them another possible champion. Yelas soaked in the cheers, hoping he would live to deserve the celebration. The rest of the day was spent preparing a great feast. Wood was collected for a bonfire. Game, both large and small, was hunted and roasted on spits. Night fell and the drums were brought out, filling the night with a new rhythm and energy that Yelas had not yet experienced in his lifetime. Yelas had spent most of the day resting in his new hut, waiting for this night's main event. He prayed for the strength to carry him through it. The great horn was blown and the bonfire was lit. The time had come. The drum beats changed from a fast and energetic beat to something slower and more ominous. The steady thrum of the great horn added to the mood shift, resonating a note that Yelas could feel in his bones. From huts beside his, three other young men whose names were called from the bonfire began making their way to the center of the celebration, where a circle was outlined in blood stones. Yelas took it all in quickly, mostly focused on his competition. This wasn't going to be an easy fight. Most of the men were close to fifty pounds above his own weight class, and most of that was muscle. If fate chose wrestling or another physical challenge, he would likely lose. Remol emerged from his hut draped in his ceremonial robes, white paint painting a ghastly outline of his facial features in the light of the fire. He began chanting softly, moving with the rhythm of the drums and horn. The crowd followed suit, chanting their own set of mantras in response to what he was saying. He reached into the pocket of his robes and took out six old gnarled bones, yellowed with age and worn down by the hands of many generations. The ritual master began shaking the bones together in tandem with the music, dancing more erratically than before. He suddenly and violently cast the bones to the ground in the middle of the circle, squatting down to see the results. He solemnly stood up and waved his hand. The music and the chanting stopped. "GREAT FATE DEMANDS KNIVES!" the old man shouted. "THEN KNIVES WE SHALL GIVE THEM!" The crowd responded. The music picked up again, and Remol gestured for the young men to take their places in the circle. Yelas shuffled to his spot. The crowd began to part as four knives were presented. Each man took one, cutting the tip of their middle finger with the blade to ensure its sharpness. Yelas took a wary defensive position. Proficient as he was with knives, he had been taught to never overestimate his own skill. The horn came in with the drums once more, signaling the start of the fight. Yelas circled the opponent across from him, watching carefully for sudden movements. The man in front of him was taller by a few inches and much stockier. He held the knife awkwardly, clearly used to a different kind of weapon, like an ax or a club. Yelas could use this. He darted in quickly, avoiding his opponent's initial swing and slicing into the man's bicep. The young man grunted in pain. Yelas cursed under his breath. He had meant to aim for the joint. Now his enemy was more aware of the danger he posed. He quickly darted back, this time successfully hitting an artery in his leg. A guaranteed death sentence. Yelas glanced around the arena, looking for the other two men, one of them was dead on the ground already, but there were two broken knives around the body. Suddenly Yelas felt an arm around his neck. The last opponent had gotten behind him and was trying to choke him out. Yelas quickly reversed the grip on his knife and stabbed indiscriminately until the pressure around his neck released. As the last man collapsed, the music stopped. Yelas dropped down to one knee in front of the old ritual master, one part out of respect and one part to catch his breath. Remol nodded his approval, walking over to the bonfire and beckoning the younger man to follow. Yelas did as he was commanded, knowing what was to come next. Remol removed a piece of metal with the tribe crest on the end of it from the flames, chanted something under his breath, and held the hot metal against Yelas's skin. The young man did not cry out in pain. He gritted his teeth, knowing this was the last part of the challenge for the night. After he was branded officially, he stood tall in the middle of the circle, soaking in yet more cheers from his people. The last part of The Flighting would begin the next day. It was almost midday before Remol came and awoke him. Yelas rose from his bedding unsteadily, still feeling the throbbing pain of the brand on his back. He made his way out of the hut, where his family was waiting for him. He embraced them all and tears of both joy and sadness were shed, for they knew this might very well be the last time they would see each other. After several minutes, Remol cleared his throat softly, and the moment ended. Yelas followed the old man to his boat. Yelas boarded his boat and pushed off. He caught an air current and began to quickly accelerate away from the cliff face. He looked back briefly at the sky island that he and many generations of his family had called home. His thoughts lingered on his people, and what their fate might be if he failed his task. The final part of The Flighting had begun. Find a new place suitable for his people to live for many more generations, and wait for them to follow. The brand on his back, the magic homing signal, would tell them if he succeeded.

2 months ago
Story B: Arrival “Land ho!” The sailor in the crow’s nest sprang to life. The tower had been constructed with as much care as could be exercised on the open ocean, with tools limited to the selection of battery-powered implements that could be saved before Engineering went under. It looked absurd, masts erected on a sidelong piece of capital ship. A pride of human engineering once, now reflecting the toll of human pride. It had shattered so suddenly. Cheering quickly took hold of the whole crew—even Captain Dutton’s face showed a smile. The remnants of the UHF Thunderous Coronation had been adrift at sea for the past 12 years. The captain’s hair was now gray, and his beard hadn’t been shaved the whole time. He had vowed to wait until rescue to shave, and he really hated the result over the last eight or nine years. “What do you see?” Captain Dutton called up to the crow’s nest. “Wrecked coastline, looks like a continent though. We have to get closer to know for sure.” “Keep your eye out, Corporal. We don’t know what could meet us on the shore. It’s been a long 12 years for us, but it could’ve been longer for the world at large. We only saw the first 3 of what could be 15 years, and that’s when the nuclear treaties were broken. Who knows how many nukes went off soilside? There might’ve been developments the likes of which we couldn’t imagine. Drones are probably in even higher concentrations now, if I had to wager. They could come from any angle.” Corporal Tkachuk nodded and went back to eyeing the horizon—previously bored, now stoic, concealing enthusiasm. “Corporal?” The 24-year-old turned towards the captain, at attention. “Make sure you get down if you think shit’s gonna hit the fan, and let everyone know on your way. We need to keep our numbers up, so I don’t want any unnecessary risks or stupid hero plays. I’m going to be honest, you men are my family at this point, everyone that’s still left. I’ve felt so much loss that I don’t know how much more I can take. Uh, you don’t have to let everyone know that part.” Tkachuk nodded once more and returned to staring. The horizon quickly revealed more and more, and soon everyone at the front of the world’s largest raft, searching for any indicator of where they were landing. This beachfront looked devastated, though. Captain Dutton was utterly shocked by what he was seeing. A city sprawled across emerald hills, replete with skyscrapers; however, the architecture was all ruined, abandoned, and overgrown. Mountains poked out at irregular intervals throughout the city, some smooth, some jagged, all coated with a thick layer of trees. The city looked like 10,000 monster trucks had gone on a rampage across the whole thing, but the damage was old. Nature had reclaimed everything she could get her paws on: billboards were totally covered in vines and large, droopy leaves. Trees were growing atop five-story wrecks of what could’ve been enormous structures once. Judging by the width, and the scale of this sprawl, accounting for the scale of destruction that was committed, Andrew Dutton furrowed his brow as estimates of the death count intruded on his mind. “Captain, I reckon there were at least 10 million people in a city like this!” Someone yelled from close behind the captain. Most men would’ve been startled, but close colleagues of Ensign Cooper immediately relaxed at his drawl. He was tougher than rocks—killed hundreds in a mission to detonate a Chinese space station, only losing a couple toes. “Volume control, for God’s sake, Ensign. I’m not on the shore, I’m right here with you. Now that’s a good estimate, mine would be in that range too. The real question is where on Earth are we? Everyone, look for any sign that could possibly tell us. Be ready for landfall too, it won’t look pretty.” Less than an hour later, the once-grandiose spaceshipwreck crashed into the shore: it wasn’t moving fast, but the force of impact still tossed around the sailors, who had all strapped in. The shoreline held on, and the colossal hulk stopped just halfway up the beach. As men began to approach the edge, the captain held up a fist. A rope ladder was thrown down, securely riveted to the top deck, and Dutton made his descent. It was a fairly great height, but falling from space makes all other falls feel inconsequential. The captain slid down, almost reckless. He felt the sand beneath his boots, amazing. The wreck blocked a lot of the sea breeze, but its freshness permeated everything here. “Get your weapons, we need to clear a perimeter. Light kit. Tkachuk, O’Donnell, begin setting up emplacements. This’ll be a temporary HQ. Cooper, you ready to roll?” Ensign Cooper was already at the captain’s side. His weapon of choice was a bullpup .308, an AVP-35. Cooper slapped the side of the rifle and the bolt racked a round for him with a cold metal clink. “Ready, sir!” Dutton mulled over the situation. The city was in an advanced state of overgrowth, so he would have to find some monument that hadn’t been eroded or overwhelmed by greenery. “Alright, no one venture into the city. Stay on the beach, within eyeline of each other. No clusters bigger than three, and get five sentries on the Coronation with scoped weapons. Turret emplacements are good cover, they should hold up to any firearms. Cooper and I are going—wait, did you see that?” Dutton was pointing at a patch of undergrowth straight ahead. Cooper lifted his rifle, finger ready to pounce into the trigger. “I saw it too, boss,” Cooper said disdainfully. “Greetings!” The captain’s next word was cut off by a jovial, booming voice. The undergrowth was sundered, and a procession of—the captain couldn’t believe his eyes. “Are those fucking capybaras?” A sailor voiced Dutton’s thought exactly. “Yes, yes we are. It would do you well to put some respect behind your words, man.” The capybara at the front of the procession spoke with remarkable eloquence. Dutton blinked furiously—rubbed his eyes. The capybara’s mouth was indeed moving. “I am The Sixth King Amaziah. And this is Argon, my glorious kingdom.” Ensign Cooper scoffed, “You named your kingdom after an element?” The capybara procession turned their heads up, staring at Cooper. Measured malice lurked on their faces. “It’s hard for you to talk when all of your kingdoms are gone. But, you see, it’s much more than a primitive pun. Human empires were cyclical, a futile rat race at their best. To force a naturally violent, cunning, and sinful creature into an orderly, carefully structured society—folly, folly! Argon requires nothing. It is content on the cosmic scale, just as I am. In any case, you should be able to tell that I didn’t name the kingdom, since I am the son of my father, and he the son of his, and so on to the First King. May all their souls rest peacefully. They laid down their lives in horrible war, the worst our species has ever seen, so that I may rule over a kingdom that is unmarred by it.” Captain Dutton’s jaw dropped. “The war? The war is over?” “You’ll have to be more specific,” Dutton swore that Amaziah’s little rodent mouth curled in a smirk. “There was the Fourth Gulf War, the Unification Wars, the Indo-China War, World War Three, the Capybara War for Independence. There might still be one going on, somewhere beyond my purview, in the chaotic wastes still under man’s control.” “World War Three, that’s obviously what I mean!” “You guys are really out of the loop, so to speak. What were you even doing the past ten years?” The king’s tone felt like abject mockery. Captain Dutton snapped. Over a decade spent on a stinky, wet, cold piece of metal, literally sitting atop the shattered remains of everything he had worked for in his whole career. He howled, “You are a fucking capybara, so you should put some respect on my name! I fought for humanity, dammit! I risked my life for three long, hard years, worked up to a capital ship position, ready to make a decisive, game-changing strike—just to get nuked out of orbit. I thought I died, but instead I get sentenced to aquatic purgatory, and now a goddamn petting zoo! If you don’t start complying now, I will start blasting your little potato heads with the same mercy I give the shit in my toilet.” The capybaras recoiled, except for Amaziah. He stamped his right foot once, and the captain’s ears were immediately assailed by a tremendous ruckus. Like a million cicadas, swarming overhead. From behind the trees of the city rose a carpet of gleaming black. The soldiers stared in awe as hundreds, no, thousands of attack drones assembled into formations, surrounding the meager chunk of beach that the humans had claimed. “If you don’t start complying now,” Amaziah barked, “I will ensure that every last one of you has the same pulse as my toilet. Your struggle means nothing to me; in fact, you should be thankful for my mercy. The previous kings would have had your heads on stakes by now, strategically placed so that scouts from the neighboring city of men will have a lovely view.” “So what’s—” Ensign Cooper tried to squeeze out a sentence. “No talking over me either! Your whole species is such a massive test of my patience, why can’t you be more like canines?” The capybara king punctuated this sentence with a nod, and Dutton heard a pop. Sand sprayed up into all the soldiers’ faces. Dutton could feel the distinctive whizzes of bullets past his head. He looked around, but no one was lying dead. The beach looked like the aftermath of a sand castle building competition now though. The captain thought very hard for a couple extremely long seconds. His gun thumped into the sand beside his foot as he raised his hands. “We surrender,” he said. The humans cried out in surprise. Cooper stared at his captain with gun still aimed. He grimaced and lowered it, then let go. It thumped into the fine, clear sand. The rest followed almost instantly, a coordinated drop. “Well done!” The Sixth King sounded giddy. “You are the first soldiers to pass the test. I’m sure you all need a fine meal right about now, yes?” The soldiers forgot all about their firearms as an array of robots emerged from the undergrowth behind the capybaras. It was a veritable armada of small platforms on tracks. Each one carried a plate with some kind of fruit or vegetable. The captain noted lettuce, melons, broccoli, and even seaweed. The capybara stomped his left foot, and one of the platebots rolled forward. It carried a large, unlabeled pill bottle. Inside was an abundance of green capsules. “Just swallow one before beginning to fill up. Now, enjoy, my guests!” King Amaziah took a seat, and his own platebot approached. He began to munch on a whole head of romaine, crunching away blissfully. The captain felt disappointed by a lack of meat. He looked at the still-menacing attack drones, took a pill, and took a bite of watermelon to wash it down. It tasted remarkable: he finished the whole slice of delicious red flesh within a few seconds. By nightfall, the captain felt satiated. He had spent the time telling tales to the giant rodents, easily the size of him, but strangely trustworthy. Warm, comfy creatures, with good taste in food. When he woke up the next morning, there was nothing disconcerting about the fact that Tkachuk and Cooper were now furry, with little black eyes and cute snouts. Even the fact that Dutton himself was now a capybara caused no negative emotion. He felt more at home than ever before, like he had completed a journey which he never recognized starting.

2 months ago
Vote here:

2 months ago

Before I read/review/vote on anything. I have a question...

Why are these split into 2 Duels?

I don't understand the point. I get the tournament vibe it brings but what happens after both duels get a winner? Does everyone just vote again? Doesn't that seem redundant if the votes are already cast? Wouldn't it be easier to just have all 4 stories in one duel? (Unless your suggesting both winners write a SECOND story...that would be something! :O)

This is probably a very noobish question, but I figured it was well warrented so I'm asking it anyways! :P

2 months ago
The instructions were quite simple:

Vote here

@DBNB, come. Enjoy your loss of intelligence with me

2 months ago

"What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

Mizal explained this in the other thread.  It is not a noobish question, it is a stupid question since it has alredy been answered and explained.

And Ogre, thanks for thinking of me.  I had some extra intelligence running around in my brain that I wasnt using anyway.  Now it is gone.

2 months ago
You are very wu... wee... dammit, what's that word? I'm losing intelligence by the minute here!

2 months ago
Why is this a requirement of voting though?

It's a bracketed tournament. The winners will go on to duel again. Luckily, this doesn't seem to be anything that affects your ability to vote.

The duwls were split because four stories in the same thread are a lot to read all in one go and make it unwieldy to scroll through.

2 months ago
So I notice that three days have passed, is there still something you need clarified in order to vote?

2 months ago
b

2 months ago

I didn't feel like voting but since everyone is insisting (or at least that I'm projecting such a thing is happening) I might as well I guess...

I vote for A and D!

2 months ago
My vote is for Story B. I liked both stories, but B seemed to exercise a more mature style of writing. A was solid, but didn't leave a clear image in my head of the setting.

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:13:27 AM

This was a good duel; I enjoyed both stories.

The Flighting:

I felt it was more in line with the prompt than Arrival. It gave me a setting of some Norse/Pacific Islander influenced tribe looking for a new home. The story is simple and complete. I think the action was very well written and the pacing of it kept me engaged to the end. The ending, as compared to the rest of it, was summed up in a paragraph. I know there is a word count limit but it left me wanting more. Just a simple, well put together story in my opinion.

Arrival:

I was very very confused until about halfway through the story. There is a 24 year old crew member, but they've been at sea for 12 years meaning he was a crew member at 12 years old? There's talks of nukes going off but the atmosphere isn't wrecked nor is there an irradiated wasteland. I could just be a retard and misreading it but thats what I got from it. There was also sort of a big info dump of like 3-5 wars that happened. Turns out the ship was orginally in space. I think if it could have all been executed in a different way it would have won my vote.

At the end of the day, my vote is The Flighting.

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:13:43 AM

Story A:  I thought this story was interesting and I liked the unique tradition and how it tied into the story.  Enjoyed the combat scene, and thought that the whole story was written and paced well.  Overall, I thought it was a little short, coming in under 1400 words, and wished that it just had a bit more to it.  

Story B:  This one was a little confusing at first.  I was partway through the story before I realized that they were sailing on wreckage of a spaceship - for 12 years.  The timeline on things just seemed a bit unrealistic.  I liked the idea of folks being turned into huge Capybaras, and the story delivered a Planet of the Apes type vibe.  However, when I dumped the story into word it came in at 2008 words.  Definite demerits for making me read 8 words more than is necessary.

On this duel, I will vote for Story A.  Large Capys were not enough to save story B for me and story A left me wanting a little more.

2 months ago
b

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:13:53 AM
  • Story A's premise was interesting yet, as the others have already said, leaves the reader wondering about the genre and setting, until the very last sentence. The first though was this was some post-apocaliptic tribe (reverting to pagan rituals just like the "underdeveloped" tribes in history (today too) had) meant to put to the test and select the elite soldiers based on their strength + pilot skills. Didn't expect it to be some sort of fantasy sci-fi story.

• Story B's premise was clear, engaging and comedic in a sense, reminding me of Circe from Homer's Odyssey who turned unfortunate sailors who ate her food into pigs, just like the capybaras' food turned the crew into capybaras themselves. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually turns out to be just a wierd dream of one of the characters, or just delusions caused by the harsh conditions they were in previously. Either way, the semi post-apocalyptic world sounds like fun to explore. Possibly an extended storygame in and of itself.

In spite of Story A seeming more compliant with the prompt than Story B, I'll have to vote for Story B due to subjectively speaking, it was more fun to read.

2 months ago
Story B drew me in more than story A. I vote Story B

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:14:02 AM

Story A:

Good, solid story under competition conditions. The action scenes were the best, and I wished there were more of them. There were a lot of small things that could have been improved, but you can't expect a perfect story with such little time. The biggest weakness was that it wasn't clear that Yelas was on the boat when Remol was conducting the floating test ritual- I had thought that Yelas had been standing on the ground the whole time.

Story B:

Decent story under competition conditions. The beginning and end were good, while the middle was mediocre. The writing was worse than that of Story A. The tone was inconsistent and a lot of stuff just straight up didn't make sense. The vocabulary was good, at least.

My vote is for Story A.

2 months ago
Congratulations to both writers, these are a lot better than the ones in Duel B. While I liked Story A well enough, it needed more time. Story B confused me a little bit, but it's well-paced and doesn't feel rushed. My vote goes to Story B: Planet of the Capys Arrival.

2 months ago
Honestly I liked both of these equally, and would love to see more for both of them. However, story B made me laugh, so my vote is for story B.

2 months ago

My vote is for STORY B

It's just personal preference, but I enjoyed how Story B had more variety in sentence structure and vocabulary. I also liked how it took a more humorous tone and was able to incorporate all these wacky notions together. Story A was solid, and against the other two entries would have won, but it just didn't have what I would typically enjoy in a story.

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:14:43 AM

Story A

I like it. I also like to have tall expectations for short stories, so my main critique is about the ending.

If the short story ends with me wanting to read more, that is certainly far from bad, but I'd much rather it have a satisfying ending (which I admit is hard to do).

I wonder if there is a way to frame it so it lingers more on Yelas' emotions, making that the focus of the ending as opposed to the question of if he'll succeed. By ending with the brand, the magic homing signal, and potential of succeeding, my thoughts move to thinking about how the story could be longer.

Ending with a focus on something more intangible, like emotions, or a message about self-sacrifice for the greater good (or whatever else you prefer) would potentially make for a stronger ending.

Then again, I'm hardly the one to talk up themes and messages when I barely think about them during my own writing (if at all). Still, I think this is the best thing for me to offer up as critique.

Story B

At the mention of 10,000 monster trucks, I was getting ready to complain about tone or choice of comparison, but then the capybaras struck.

So, ignoring that reaction, once I started comparing the two, I quickly realised something. I love dialogue! Give me dialogue! This was good dialogue.

Anyway, the ending for Story B felt stronger to me. The pills turning them into capybara's wasn't too surprising, but I was expecting it to be poison (so I could complain), so what we got instead is much preferred. Tone was handled well actually, far as I can tell now that I've read it all.

Vote

So, I vote for Story B. What feels like a more conclusive ending + more dialogue is why, but Story A was still good, and maybe I would've even voted for it if I was in a different mood (who knows). Good work to both contestants!

2 months ago

I've got to go with "B" for this one.  There was more command of prose style, more natural writing, and a stronger ability to create imagery.  "B" was interesting right from the start; "A"s opening paragraphs felt a bit clunkier.

2 months ago
b

2 months ago

My vote is for Story A.

I enjoyed both of these stories a lot for different reasons. Story A had a great sense of worldbuilding and leaned in well to the prompt. Story B had good dialogue and narrative twists that kept me hooked. Of course, I can only choose one. By a technicality, I feel it is only fair to recognize the work that was more in line with the prompt, which was Story A. Story B is still very good and the author should still be given great credit.

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:15:09 AM
My vote is for story B.

A:
Telling vs showing are terms that are thrown around so much, that they have mostly lost their value to me. Still, the first paragraph is a prime example of too much telling. Especially when the first paragraphs (in such a short story!) should be pulling you in. The only immediacy are the first few words: 'Yelas took a deep breath'. Then there's a lot of background and 'would'. Those are fine when the investment is already there, to deepen it. But among my dopamine dunked and drunk braincells it fails to catch attention and make that first connection.

But I am a reader, and read I shall. The following paragraphs go back and forth in both past time and super past time (like my high school, so I forgot the proper terms right this moment, sorry Gower) and are mostly passive.

Compare the following:

A great horn was blown and the bonfire was lit. The time had come. The drum beats changed from a fast and energetic beat to something slower and more ominous.

A drawn-out horn breaks the silence of the night's sky, chilling the bones. This is it. The time has come. In response, your tribe lights up a grand bonfire. The cackling fire throws long shadows toward the drums, now producing a slow, measured, ominous beat.

Aside from that pretty nice and compact plot, with a unique tribal custom. Though I would've liked the plot/wordcount to focus less on the rune carving and more on the unique world of migratory sky islands.

------------------------------

B:
Story B took the easy route for immediacy by introducing a lot more dialogue. I like the natural balance between snippets of worldbuilding and progressing the scene. However, afterward, the plot started going all over the place and I was too confused to be entertained. I guess Dire has summed much of it up, so I will leave this short. Still, the strong start and better writing make it a clear victor in my eyes.

2 months ago
Congrats to @WizzyCat, Story B has won! Story A however managed to get a few votes as well. It had some nice worldbuilding going on and a stronger adherance to theme, it just felt to me like more could have been done with those elements. And as others have mentioned, there were some clumsy passages of exposition that bogged it down. Story B really benefited from Wizzy having a good grasp on storycrafting elements and dialogue and a by now seasoned ability to bang these out on demand no matter what influences he might be under. And so although it lost me a bit when it became a capybara meme, other elements were solid enough to power it through to a win. I want to thank both Wizzy and @Yummyfood for stepping up to write these on such short notice. And I'm sorry, I know you both envisioned yourself slaughtering noob children, but once I had four stories in my inbox I thought it best to split them up in a more sporting way. You two also both wrote yours in much less time than the others, so that was another element to consider in how these were paired. However, Wizzy, you're in luck: as the victor, you have EARNED another crack at slaughtering a noob child, since you and Ravenic will need to duel again as soon as that can be arranged.

2 months ago

I look forward to it @WizzyCat :D!

I'll see you in the arena! :)

2 months ago

Congrats on your win and good luck on your next entry! I'm ready to duel again

2 months ago
Congrats, Wiz

2 months ago
Congrats to Wizzy for the win and to Yummy for putting out a good story as well.

2 months ago

Congrats to both duelists! Looking forward to the next round.

2 months ago

Congrats Wizzy!

nice work both of you!

2 months ago

Congratulations Wizzy! It was a well earned victory.

2 months ago

Nice job Wizzycat! That story was great! I figured the capys were either you or malk and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was you haha. It was really good; it seemed like the type of writing I would try to emulate to get better. I hope you win your match against Ravenic. 

Also good job to Yummy! If you weren't put up against Wizzy you would have definitely have won against either of the two newest noobs. Well done. 

2 months ago
My man's still got it. Congrats Wizzy.

Also nice story written Yummy, there's no shame here. It truly was a battle of prioritising prose vs plot

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:15:34 AM

Congrats Wizzy

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/19/2024 8:15:40 AM

I didn't really have an idea as to who wrote this, so this was a pleasant surprise! Nice story, you probably would've eked out a win if you had focused a little more on dialogue.