Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

Alright there are lots of things going on in the forums/community right now. (A contest and a couple of off site games) Also Corgi’s supposed to have a contest after this one so this is mostly for later when things quiet down a bit.

It’ll give time to get things prepared anyway. Of course if people are interested enough to do something now, that can probably still be arranged.

Some of these will require a certain amount of people, so if I don’t get enough people, we won’t be playing that one. Getting too many people is also a possibility, but we’ll try to figure something out.

King’s Dilemma

Wouldn't happen to me, I'd just execute them all and the shit would be over with

Do you like Game of Thrones? Well even if you don’t, I know most of you are treacherous bastards that love to backstab one another for your own personal gain which is basically what you do in this game.

The premise is you take the role of one of the noble houses during the reign of a king and then try to pick the policies that are going to best advance your house’s goals. You do this mainly by voting.

So basically all this is going to require of you lot is mostly voting for a policy after hearing about it and then results happen. There’s slightly more to it than that, but that’s the general idea. I’ll be doing all the book keeping anyway and keeping your agendas private so I can update you on how far or close you are to them.

Oh and if you’re familiar with those swipe left/right Reign games, there’s an element of that in this game since various policies are going to affect the various stats of the kingdom (Military, wealth, etc) if they go up or down too much, congrats you’ve just contributed to destabilizing the kingdom and that particular game ends. 

The other way the game can end is if the king actually manages to die of old age. Either way, a new king takes over and the game begins again. There’s a whole ongoing multiple legacy thing going on, but don’t worry, when everyone wants to take a break, the game can be put on hold for later. (No need to play 25 different king reigns in a row)

Game requires at least 3 people, but really it wants 5 so that’s what we’re going for. I might be able to squeeze a 6th person, but I probably won’t due it being more work for me to alter the rules slightly and due to the information coming up in this next paragraph.

Also there’s 12 different houses and there’s really no set rule with people dropping in and out of the game. So technically we could have the entire site playing, though obviously consistency is going to help a house that wants to win in the long term. If someone has to drop out or can’t play, but someone else can, the option of playing a new house (If its a new game) or continuing with one that’s already in play is fine (We’ll just say someone got assassinated and a new advisor took over)

I bring this one up first mainly because out of all of these games on this list it probably requires the least effort on all of our parts. Voting and choosing with maybe a bit of writing here and there for flavor purposes. I know how lazy you all are.

Call to Adventure

Feel the EPICNESS!

This one I did run with Mara a couple years back and it probably required a whole lot more work from me since she didn’t contribute much to the actual story that she was trying to create with her character. Well that’s not happening this time. I’ll provide some detail, but I’m going to leave you lot actually create more about what your character is doing.

Besides, it’s a creative writing site, so do some fucking creative writing. 

Basic premise is you’re taking an adventurer from their humble beginnings to their overpowered game breaking conclusion. You’ll be picking from a group of cards to signify which challenges they undergo and such. The cards usually have two ways to resolve the challenge as well. Person who managed to achieve the most by the end wins. (Or maybe they just managed to outlive the others)

Anyway I could potentially run 1-8 people to play this one, though 8 would be pretty fucking insane with the book keeping. Four would be more reasonable, but again we’ll see who picks what.

Tales of the Arabian Nights/Tales of the Arthurian Knights

ALLAHU AKBAR!

This one we just went through earlier this year and it seemed like it turned out alright, though everyone seemed to just flake out in the middle of it with no given reason.

For those that forgot, this is basically “CYOA: The Boardgame” with an Arabian fantasy backdrop.

I think with this game picking just ONE quest to complete is sufficient, or you guys can play to gain a select number of Destiny and Story points. This is the way the game is meant to be played actually, I just went with the 3 quests last time since I thought that might not take as long, but it seems like that one was just as lengthly. 

In any case, 6 people can play, though last time 3 was fine.

Also...

DEUS VULT!

There is supposed to be an updated version of this game coming out during the summer with an Arthurian theme rather than an Arabian Nights one. I’m probably going to get it, and I figure it’ll probably do away with some of the fiddliness of the original however I fully expect it to be nowhere near as BASED as the Arabian Nights one (Plus I already know of Mizal’s great hatred of that particular setting).

However, if anyone’s still interested in that game, definitely can set it up if and whenever I get it. (Don’t worry T-Cat, you can play as a Muslim saracen rather than a Christian infidel. Hell, I’m sure there’s probably a saracen character in the game for “diversity” anyway)

Escape the Dark Castle

The classic never die, but you sure will

Well it wouldn’t be a game sign up if I didn’t include this one. Still tons of cards that people didn’t go through.

If you aren’t familiar with this game, you’re either really new or you haven’t been paying attention since we’ve played it several times (In fantasy and scifi format). The premise is simple, Escape the Dark Castle. Actually achieving that is not and nobody has actually beaten the Fantasy version yet, so that’s the one we’re going with this time.

Can sign up to 12 people with this one.

Last Night on Earth/Dead of Winter

Zombies, zombies, and more zombies

Well these will be a new experiment to try to convert, but I imagine it can be done. 

These are both zombie survival games. You folks like zombies around here right? If Berka’s story is any indication you do.

Last Night is more action packed with running around a small town trying to survive the night of zombies while trying to achieve a certain goal, while Dead of Winter is taking place in a colony which is more resource management (Though definitely still fighting zombies) Both of them have time limits for how long you need to survive.

Now then Last Night probably has the advantage of feeling a bit more “lively.” You really only need to worry about your characters (and potentially your fellow survivors) so less to keep track of. I’d probably have to do a little more heavy lifting on rules and shit since it’s not story driven at all and is the most “game like” out of everything on here, but it’s probably doable.

Dead of Winter has the advantage of having a system with choice based events in it, so that one is keeping more with a CYOA style. There is also a traitor element which I know everyone loves to do around here, but like I said, the big thing is resource management of the colony. You’ll need keep track of food, defenses, morale, etc. You fuck that up and everyone loses. (Well unless you’re the traitor and that was your goal)

Basically the people aren’t excessively important so much as the greater good of the colony is, which means nobody is really going to get player eliminated since you just get new people to play with. Of course you don’t want to lose all your heroes, there are a limited supply after all.

Last Night has more of a “B-movie” vibe while Dead of Winter has a more serious “Walking Dead” tone, though there’s still some silly shit in that too.

Can get 2-6 players with Last Night and 1-5 with Dead of Winter. Now I do have an expansion that allows for up to 11 for Dead of Winter, but that requires warring colonies and a bunch of other shit so let’s keep it simpler the first time around if interest is shown.

Western Legends

I'll make ya famous

Another experiment, but again no reason not to try. 

Well as you might be able to tell from the title you’re playing a character trying to establish yourself as a wild west legend. This can be done in a lot of ways since it’s a sandbox style game. Be an outlaw, be a lawman, be a degenerate gambler, rob trains, buy land, duel, peacefully prospect for gold or do all of the above. Just get the most points before everyone else does and you win.

One fun element is there is an “Man in Black” character that basically goes around fucking with everyone, even to the point of potentially destroying places on the map.

I’m not exactly sure how I’d alter things for it due to it being less directly story driven and the second most “game focused” next to Last Night, but there are a few choice elements in it that do tie in a bit with CYOA stuff which would makes things a bit easier. 

Can get 2-6 players for this one.

Fallen Land

War never changes

Yet another experiment because I’m like a mad scientist around here.

This one is a post apocalyptic settlement building game. Typically everyone picks a faction in post apocalyptic America (Including Canada and Mexico) and tries to build up their settlement by going out into the wasteland and having adventures. As usual I’ll leave up to you lot if you want to play nice with each other or not since there is the option of playing cooperatively.

This one is going to be a lot more complex since it’s even more of a sandbox than Western Legends with a whole lot to explore. Even the characters you have are a lot more detailed as far as their stats go (Outfitting them with equipment and even vehicles if you’re lucky) The advantage is the game has even more choice based events than Dead of Winter so again it keeps ties with the CYOA thing. Nobody is potentially going to get completely eliminated by losing their expedition team since there’s a pretty large pool of characters to recruit, but losing your settlement would definitely do it.

I think out of all of them I’ll really have to go over things on this one the most since even I haven’t played the game yet. Not even sure how long it will be (Probably the longest out of all of them) but again I’m sure we can work something out. 

I also have an extra idea for this one in mind if we do play it and to incorporate yet ANOTHER game within it because I’m insane like that. (But it would be cool if it’s possible)

Can get 1-6 players for this one. 

Anyway that’s basically what I’m offering right now though if anyone is interested in the following future ideas (Whether directly playing or just wanting to see everyone else fail), make your post here and state your interests. There's even a few other game selections if anyone is interested in seeing those, but I figured this is good enough for now.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago
I really like the idea of doing Escape the Dark Castle, sounds really fun. I'm also interested in King's Dilemma and Call to Adventure.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago
I'll take one of everything, thanks.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago
Particularly I would like to reserve a spot in Call to Adventure, I always wanted to see the run the way it was meant to be played.

Fallen Lands also sounds really fun, I've on and off considered trying to run a settlement management thing on the forum.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago
If Western Legends means I can draw myself as a cowboy I want that one! :~)

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago
I'm in. Especially King's dilemma and Fallen Land (totally not fallout) seem like good fun

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

Fallen Lands, Arabian Nights, and Dark Castle are all good for me 

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

Whichever one has the people to do it, you need a Steve element in all of them, and the lesser steves are dogshit. Fallen Land and King's Dilemma especially.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

I'd be in for some of those. Especially Fallen Lands.  

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago
I’ve always wanted to play the OG dark castle, but basically all of these sound good to me.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

The call to adventure thing looks fun, I'll try that one if it gets running 

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

Fallen Land and King's Dilemma both seem interesting 

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

I would like to enlist for Fallen Land, please.

If there are already too many people signed up, I'd be happy with any other game as well.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

I don't know what to pick first! They all sound so good. I'm particularly interested in:

Tales of Arthurian Knights/Arabian Tales

Escape the Dark Castle

The King's Dilemma

Call to Adventure

Fallen Lands

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago
Interested in a playing Western Legends and Tales of the Arthurian Knights

Future CYS Game Sign Up

16 days ago

Signing up for pretty much all of those, but the King's Dilemma sounds the most fun.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

15 days ago

I would be interested in playing any of these, with preference for The King's Dilemma and Fallen Land.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

15 days ago

Didn’t expect so many to be interested,

So it looks like Fallen Land was the popular one surprisingly or perhaps not so surprisingly due to the setting. No doubt by the time it’s ready to play some will have disappeared by then, bringing the number down to something more managable. If not, there’s actually more than 6 factions in the game, so I suppose something could be arranged to field more players. Either that or some of you might like to be in the same faction. 

For King’s Dilemma we got enough to play for that as well. That one was the second most popular on here.

Back ups will be Call to Adventure and Dark Castle since those were next and I already know how to set those up fairly quickly. Leaning more towards Call though.

Looks like everyone is sick of zombies though since nobody picked those two. I can safely eliminate those and have Tales and Legends at the bottom of the list for potential play.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

15 days ago

This looks fun! Be sure to include my name if I ever manage to submit something for the contest. Any and all, please!

Future CYS Game Sign Up

8 days ago

@Suranna

We're going with Fallen Lands, and assuming you survive the contest, there is one particular faction that I believe would be exactly right for you, so I shall put that one aside. (No one else can pick it and they got a ton of other choices anyway)

Now then, that should be even more incentive for you to get something done for the contest.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

8 days ago

You're telling me, EndMaster, who has said muliple times that he hates me, has hand-picked out a faction for me in the upcoming game? Yeah... I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea, but this does mean I have a guaranteed spot in the upcoming game. 

Ugh, I figured I would take it easy tonight, maybe watch some youtube videos before bed, but I guess I'll continue working on my storygame. yahoo...

Future CYS Game Sign Up

8 days ago

Kinda makes you wonder exactly what kind of faction he has picked out for you.  

Future CYS Game Sign Up

15 days ago
All of these look really cool!! Unfortunately depends how swamped I am with school when it starts, but I’d be interested in Call to Adventure, Escape the Dark Castle, or Fallen Land.

Well. Really any of them, but those in particular.

What were the other options?

Future CYS Game Sign Up

15 days ago

Other options I'll post a little later.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

15 days ago

Call to adventure and dark castle would both be fun to me!

Future CYS Game Sign Up

14 days ago

Well since someone asked about other potential games, I’ll go ahead and mention them. Some I just didn’t think of at the time and others are more “gamey” rather than story/choice driven making an overhaul of making them work over the internet a little more effort. 

Others still are in specific category that basically may or may not work.

I’ll start with potentially the easier ones.

Fortune and Glory

Also known by the acronym “FANG” because if they used what the acronym SHOULD be, they’d get banned from boardgame geek (Lol, FAG)

So if you’re all into Indiana Jones shit (The first three good ones of course) and similar treasure hunting around the world, well this is that game. It also takes place during Nazi times so you get to fight them along with mobsters, cultists and more!

In fact, you’re not just fighting them, you’re actively in a race with them (And each other) in order to get the most treasures. Typically at the beginning of the game, you pick an evil organization to go against, the Nazis, the Mob or the Crimson Hand cultists and that group will be the one actively competing. You’ll probably still fight the other two at different points, but the one you picked will have all the extra special rules. Of course they all have their different strengths and such. 

Fuck up in getting treasures before the evil organization does and everyone loses! (Except me, since I’ll be the evil organization)

Much like the Last Night zombie game, I’d have to alter things a little heavier since this one isn’t directly story/choice driven, however it probably lends itself even better for YOU to create your own story seeing as there are so many events and places. 

Upon thinking about it, much like the idea I’m toying with for Fallen Land, I could potentially include another game within Fortune and Glory too. 

The game can be cooperative or competitive, but we already know which one everyone is going for.

Up to 8 people can play, so I suppose it is one to keep in mind for large groups in the future.

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Always thought that was an awkward title

As you can probably tell, this is a horror based game. If you’ve ever seen the movie “Cabin in the Woods” that’s this game.

Basic premise is you lot go into the house on the hill and wander around exploring it until one of you uncovers the “Haunt.” At which point, someone becomes a traitor (Not necessarily the one who discovered it) and you then have to work together to defeat the haunt and the traitor while the traitor tries to kill everyone else.

The haunt will differ depending on where it was found, who found it and what it was. So one game you might have cannibals, and another game you might have a giant plant. Seeing as I have the Widow’s Walk expansion, that’s 100 different haunts, so a shitload of replay value. 

This is another one where it’s not directly story/choice driven, but heavily thematic enough that it could work.

Currently I have the second edition, but there’s a third edition already out that I might get soon. Either way they play the same, the third edition just has different haunts and cleans up some rules.

3 to 6 can play (And definitely not more since there’s only 6 characters)

Also I have this:

Less awkward

So this one takes the same premise, but incorporates it into a multiple game campaign. What it does is all the characters you play are part of the same family and based on how the haunt was dealt with, the rules and other things are going to change permanently. 

Also this campaign takes place over the course of several decades in the game so basically the characters are all going to be descendants (Or potentially an entirely new family living the house) from game to game.

This one might play out a little more like an RPG, so I suppose that’s something to keep in mind.

This one only plays up to 5, however I know there’s some extra stuff in the box that’s hidden so who know, maybe more characters unlock.

Conquest of Planet Earth/Tomorrow

Die human!

So unfortunately one fun thing that doesn’t lend itself too well to playing over the internet is typically anything with a lot of “Dudes on a map” with a strict focus on just conquering land or space. I suppose orders could be PMed back and forth while implementing what country or system is being attacked and such, but it probably wouldn’t make for interesting reading and would be a rather dry affair (Much like Suranna’s mom, OH!) 

However, I think there might be a couple exceptions. Maybe not, but that would be the experiment (or at least a potential one) These might work if only because they directly cater to the inherent psychopathy of CYStians.

So the premise of Conquest is you pick one of the many different alien races and try to conquer earth before everyone else does. You’re also trying to conquer earth before the pesky humans manage to build a weapon that stops you all as well. 

As you might expect the aliens races all have different abilities and strengths. It’s a neat theme, I just wonder if it would win out over the "crunch" factor. I guess I'd be uploading a lot of picture images for this one.

6 people could play it (And no more since there’s only 6 colors of flying saucers)

There’s also this one…

METAL

So if you’re content on just humanity killing itself rather than from alien invasion there's Tomorrow.

You ever play Pandemic or heard of it? You try to go around curing different diseases before they kill the world. Well, this is the exact opposite of that, and no I’m not talking about Plague Inc where you are the disease trying to kill the world. That at least is just some neutral force of nature.

In this game you play one of the major powers and actively spread various diseases to kill the world’s population in order to save it from over population. However, you’re also trying to make sure your own people are going to come out on top after its all over, so killing off the other world power population is better than killing your own. Of course there’s always the hapless non-world powers that can be targeted as well.

It’s sort of a balancing act though, because if you don’t kill enough people in time, then everyone loses. By the same token, fucking up the planet too much also results in everyone losing (Yeah there’s nuke options for certain powers if you want some certainty with population kills, but this isn’t ideal. You don’t want a wasteland, just depopulation)

All the world powers have their own special abilities and populations. For example India and China got a shitload of people, but their people are worth less points than those of Europe or the US. (Just like in real life!) 

6 can play this one too. You actually need at least 4, but it probably would be best with all 6.

Again though, it’s all a neat concept/theme, but I don’t know if it would translate well. At least the combat element wouldn’t be an issue though seeing as there really isn’t much direct combat. Just spreading various disease for the most part and dealing with some events (And each other of course)

Finally there’s these two games

Sleeping Gods/Distant Skies

They're fucked either way

These two are a bit of a puzzle since I haven’t played them so I’d have to go over everything, but there’s a lot of stuff here makes me wonder if they would have potential or not.

In both games you’re basically a traveling expedition that gets caught up in some portal and whisked away to another world and you’re trying to get back home. In Sleeping Gods, you’re part of a boat crew and for distant skies a plane (Obviously from the covers) You go around traveling this weird new world, getting into adventures and such.

Ignoring the loathsome Isekainess of it all, the bigger issue is the number of players which are up to 4. (Hell it actually recommends its best with just 2!) And it’s more of a case that you’d be controlling the lost party as a group rather than individual characters. This is strictly a co-op game, so no backstabbing fun. 

So why are these even an option? Well because they’re both designed specifically for a story driven and choice narrative in mind. Like that’s one of the major things with both of the games. If you played it or read through the thread, think Arabian Nights, but higher complexity and with a better story focus. It's also pretty sandboxy as far as exploration is concerned.

However, there’s also a lot of resource management and keeping track of shit though I’d be doing all that for the most part. Still, there’s a lot of crunch there.

They’re both probably more like an ongoing campaign game rather than a “one off” so there would sort of be an ongoing dedication to it. Plus, due to the fact that it is so story driven, I probably wouldn’t want to fuck around altering it too much. 

Granted King’s Dilemma is definitely campaign and story driven, but the mechanics there are simple enough and the world already leads itself that things can be explained away if folks drop in or out. 

And in the case of Fallen Land, well that’s going to be an experiment anyway when it gets going, however, that one isn’t really straitjacketed into a specific story (You’re basically making your own) so again altering it is a lot more possible.

I think these would work with a dedicated small group if they were played at some point in the future.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

13 days ago

I've played Betrayal at House on the Hill before. It's pretty fun.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

13 days ago

Where do you get such beautiful artwork?! 0o0

Do you make it yourself or use AI? Or do you have Adobe software or just download images from Google? 

Future CYS Game Sign Up

13 days ago
Pretty sure they're just from the official art from the board games.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

13 days ago

=O

Future CYS Game Sign Up

13 days ago

It's the just the boardgame box covers which I'm just getting from Boardgame Geek since a few of them I don't even have the original boxes they came in anymore.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

13 days ago

Ooo! o.o They look super cool tho! :D

Future CYS Game Sign Up

11 days ago
Sleeping Gods and Escape the Dark Castle sound interesting.

Future CYS Game Sign Up

3 days ago

Alright going with Fallen Land and got all the players I'm going to have. I'll start up a new thread dedicated to the game as the play time gets closer.