Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Cricket Appreciation Thread

4 years ago
Even though she just became active in 2018, @Cricket has become hands down one of the most integral parts of the community around here. Thinking about it right now, there are any number of you who've been around for much longer than she has that I'd immediately ban to keep her around if this could only be boiled down to a simple trade.

She was picked as the second most valuable site member in 2019, largely for all the reviews and encouragement she's given, but she's just a good and cool person in so many ways even beyond that. Like, she's been taking college classes and maintaining grades better than any of you since she was high school aged, struggled under incredible pressure there and at home, and still finds time to take personal interest in others, listen to their problems, and brighten their day even when she's having a rough time of it herself. People this genuinely wonderful are so rare and always underappreciated, so let's have this thread to just tell her how awesome she is.

Grab a cookie and a glass of milk and let's pour one out for our favorite insect.

Although this is a happy thread of good times and positive thoughts, she had to leave the Discord suddenly for some incredibly bullshit IRL reasons and I am legit really fucking sad right now. I hope she's at least still able check in with the forum now and then, but the Discord feels so gutted and empty now. And so a period of eternal mourning has been declared on the server until her fated return. Press F to pay respects and so on and etc.

And Carl bringing milk btw was the LAST emoji reaction the server shall ever see. All reactions have been banned throughout the kingdom in remembrance of their queen. No one shall point up, post the white dog of wholesomeness, declare anything sad or hilarious, or tell a queer to shut up until the Second Coming of Cricket as the prophecies have foretold.

(dramatic reenactment of prophecied return)

4 years ago

Cricket is literally the best and I couldn't ask for anything more in a friend.

She is going through a lot and is still so patient and cool. I dont think we have ever had someone as CHAD as Cricket is and all around she is the best.

The day will come when the flames that heat the HOTDISHES will be reignited, the day the GOD OF HELLFIRE returns.

Always has something fun to talk about, and she always makes those bad days so much better.

We shall drink milk as a toast to you Crick

4 years ago
I won't even delete the word hotdish anymore, that's how much I miss her.

4 years ago

4 years ago
Things that even simple plebians who are not in the Discord can do to honor Cricket:

Enjoy Sir Osis and comment upon said enjoyment in the designated box.

Read of our epic battle as gods. Ford even said at some point he thought of a move for Cricket that would have had her win, maybe he can elaborate here.

4 years ago
Cricket has always something clever or snarky to say, good feedback and something that makes you smile. I don't know her for long, but her impact in the site is obvious. I really think she deserves or a trophy or a title in her honor. The queen of crickets

4 years ago

@Cricket, you'll be missed. I hope you can sort out whatever's going on IRL with you, but know that if you ever need a place of respite from the shit thats going on, I'll always be here; we all will always be here for you. 

I've been around with cricket since she joined the server, we both were pretty new, and between all the jokes and fun we had, I genuinely found her as someone very interesting to be around with. I really think the server has lost a part of its personality with her gone.

4 years ago
Ford made this touching tribute video:

Warning: has been known to produce actual tears and trick the brain's emotion centers into thinking she's dead.

4 years ago

She will always be alive in our hearts. 

And luckily irl

4 years ago

Welp. I miss Cricky even worse now.

Who knew that Ford could do feelings stuff?

4 years ago
I knew

4 years ago

This makes me so sad.  I don't want to believe it.  Cricket is the best and nobody made me laugh as hard as she did on Discord.  I'm still holding out hope this is some Tom Sawyer thing and she wants to pop out casually as everyone is speaking her eulogy and prasing her.

4 years ago
Gower was so devastated he even had a typo in the obituary, this is pretty serious. I know (I think?) we've been using all the funeral language as a joke, but the weird thing has been how much it does feel like she's dead. Which is of course silly when it's possible to see the last time she was able to glance in, and this was all just yesterday anyway. I guess because it was so sudden, the only other people from the "core group" that aren't around anymore either quietly faded away over months or at least punctuated their leaving with turning weird and being assholes. In this case it was like, just heard a little bit about her not being around as much Monday because of [dumb thing] and then suddenly Wednesday she's completely gone. So to me it feels kind of like hearing a family member had the flu, going 'oh damn, they'll be out of commission awhile but hope they feel better soon' and then whoops two days later they're suddenly dead. In my case I'd be like 'haha, hormones, so wacky' if it didn't seem to have hit almost everyone else similarly. Everybody just seems kind of stunned. I guess it doesn't help that it's also unfair and doesn't make any sense at all, so the similarities keep stacking up.

4 years ago

I don't really need to go on about Cricket too much as I think everyone already knows how highly I thought of her and I would assume that she knows that as well.

I will just say I feel a great sense of loss and of all the daughters I have encountered in my travels, she was the most…

Wholesome.

4 years ago
Is just "F" enough? Of course not. But it is accurate. She will be greatly missed.

F

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 2/13/2020 11:46:22 AM

4 years ago
I hope she manages to have adventures this cool out there.

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 2/13/2020 2:08:51 PM

With blackest crepe this day is clad

We’ve lost the bug who was most CHAD.

A friend is gone from our Discord

Snark gone silent here on this board.

She was the one, we all know well,

Who tricked the newbies into hell.

Oh, bugs live briefly, yes, quite right.

And Cricket needs no lame white knight.

She was as good as a Marauder

A wholesome and protected daughter.

I miss her thorax, miss her mandible,

Like Chris and Pug, but more infrangible.

I held for her the most affection

(And she loved—well, her own reflection)

Perhaps I’ll hop in my Toyota

I’ll take a trip to North Dakota.

Her exile seems to me a mockery!

I’ll find her!  (Does this sound too stalker-y?)

Moved by, drawn by, formicophilia,

Into the snow storm I go, really, yeah.

There in the land of milk and cheese whey

I’ll find our site’s own bichon frise.

I’ll zoom and risk a speeding ticket.

Find and rescue our Cricket.

4 years ago
I don't know if we have anyone white and plaid enough to successfully infiltrate ND, alas.

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 2/13/2020 2:41:50 PM

I was possessed by grief, okay?

Note to self: In your next life, build up a forum persona that's easier to recognize from behind.

4 years ago

Well, I know what Ford's next profile picture will be.

4 years ago

Is it a cowboy-appropriate hoop skirt or genuine canonical elven width?  I'll never tell.

4 years ago
Do you?

4 years ago

I had a moment of staring, blinking at the screen.

4 years ago
Fuck, me too. Lol.

Glad it's someone else this time.

4 years ago
Oh God, somehow this one made me the most sad of all.

4 years ago

I knew the crying dragon might have been a touch too far.

4 years ago

This picture makes me want to cry like miz's dragon

4 years ago

Wow.

So sad.

4 years ago
That's two rivals you've eliminated now. Too bad they were both so much more likeable.

4 years ago

I was very fond of both.

4 years ago
Been a pretty bleak time in the Discord, everything felt pretty off and it no one spoke much, everyone just spent most of today paying respects at Cricket's memorial. And my complicated lady emotions have been acting up so after getting about 40 minutes of sleep last night I spent most of the day at work seesawing wildly between ANGERY and moping around randomly tearing up and being a Sadness Elemental. This must be how Mara feels every day! Just happy I didn't have to deal with any customers. But on the bright side, Ogre noticed that tomorrow was Cricket's two year anniversary on the site, so fingers crossed (or analogous insect appendages) that she'll be able to join us in here then. Anyway trying to force some happy thoughts and I think we need a counterpoint to Ford's video because Jesus talk about a recipe for wallowing in sadness. I posted this in the Bible chat channel on the Discord yesterday but idk if Cricket ever got a chance to listen to it, it's the Lord's Prayer in Swahili and one of the most uplifting music things there is. (If you've ever played Civ 4 you've heard this, it was the intro screen music and also won a Grammy.) Live at Llangollen: And here is the same song, the version over the Civ intro video, which was always funny because it had this happy inspirational sunshine music over soldiers murdering each other and burning things down all throughout history. I think I'm just gonna listen to this in a loop while I work on my contest story for a bit. Although that REBIRTH and RESURRECTION theme suddenly seem like they could prop up a story about the return of St. Cricket of CYStia. (seasonal gig as the god of hellfire.) Heck, the thread even has illustrations already.

4 years ago

And Cricket is without a doubt the life of the party here at CYS, the discord server is fucking dead now lmao XD

4 years ago
Might be a record here. Everyone just shedding silent tears into their glasses of milk.

4 years ago
In my opinion, there's three main things that represent a good user on this site: writing good stories, writing good reviews, and being a cool person. Usually you're lucky to get one, very few manage to get two. Cricket was one of the rare ones who managed to nail all three perfectly. She wrote great stories (Ineptitude 2 is honestly the funniest thing I've ever read on this site), amazing reviews that I always looked forward to, and was just a cool as fuck person to hang out with. I'll never forget her pressuring me to include kung fu fighting in my flopped Indiana Jones WIP, or proofreading Dusty Fist 1 and 2 for me and always getting noobs or HELLed people to read it. If it weren't for Tim, I'd say she's my favorite person on this site, and I only just met her at the tail end of 2018. Sorry I'm late to the memorial, still figured I'd drop my two cents in anyhow.

4 years ago
She was indeed enthusiastic about how everyone would be kung fu fighting!

4 years ago
Cricket: can't post for two days. Site-wide mourning.

Victim: posts for the first time in a month. Banned. Lol.

4 years ago

Wouldn't be a proper appreciation thread without making the necessary sacrifices.

4 years ago
Even after she's gone, non-Catholic St. Cricket facilitates these little miracles.

4 years ago

I hadn't found the time to sit down and write a long reply to this. Honestly I'm still feeling pretty bummed out about this whole business.

Cricket is the person I like the most on the site, period. She's smart, funny, a good writer and reviewer, and I like to think that she and I think alike on many issues and share opinions on several subjects. I told her in a PM that I consider "the closest to a friend that someone on the internet can be" but I realize now that's not true. In fact, I like Cricket a lot more than many of the people I call friends irl.

All in all, I really can't help but repeat what has already been said, which is just further proof of how much everyone likes Cricket. It's honestly gonna be sad not to wake up to Cricket ranting about her bad eating habits in Scullery or taunting some poor dumb noob who stumbled upon the server. But ultimately I'm at least glad that we know what's going on her and that she's alright, as opposed to simply vanishing one day.

I'll miss her, but I keep hope that she'll come back to us someday.

4 years ago
Windows ate my last reply during the forced update but I just wanted to put my thoughts out here. I'm really sad that Cricket's not around anymore, and of course I'm missing her presence. It really sucks to lose a friend like this, but I have faith that she'll be fine. She's a cricket of many talents after all! It's pretty obvious that is beloved and welcome here in case her IRL circumstances change.

I'm sending her good vibes and trying to smile through the tears for her. She's a cool cat in my book.

4 years ago
Sorry for the long boring PM response I just sent, Crickey. As per my promise to stop being unfun, here, I made you some jello: I hadn't been aware you could basically turn jello into meringue. This is called "Bears on Cloud Nine". Except the cloudy part didn't come out as well as it should have, I didn't reserve enough of it to whip. Next I'm going to try one of those jello Moses cakes I was showing you guys before. I think I may just quit pretending to write a couple years and try to make a name for myself in the field of Jello Artistry instead.

4 years ago
I'm a bit late since I'm a lazy faggot who's inly sorta around these days, but loosing Cricket is legitimately among the saddest things to happen regarding this site, even if she would've been gone just a couple dozen hours.

She's a really nice person who put in a lot of effort to engage with the site and even reviewed stuff like a productive person would.

F

4 years ago
All true friends of Cricket must put this in their profile: (Only true friends, you don't want to know what happens to imposters...) By order of the Order.

4 years ago

Way ahead of you, miz.

#FreeCricket

4 years ago

Think I got my profile just right now.

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 2/20/2020 4:01:47 AM

The wholesomeness I see here makes me sad smile. Cricket is the best in the west. Feels bad, man.

chad.jpg

Long live the chad.

4 years ago
Hope things work out for you, Cricket. Best wishes.

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 2/28/2020 4:33:40 AM

I can still recall

All the good times that we had

Back on C-Y-S, you were my daughter

I was your your dad

You loved all of my stories

And I loved your wholesome toasts

But I’d ban the whole damn site

For just one more of your posts

But I’ll wait when you’re free

My dearest C

My supreme devotee

We used to mock the fags and fucktards

While trolling on the site

And every single praise you gave me

Was a sheer delight

You’re a shining pearl

You wholesome girl

Best daughter in the world

Goodbye Cricket

4 years ago
Thoughtful of you to have pre-reacted with the dog.

I bet only surviving internet daughter Thara is feeling awfully jealous right now.

4 years ago
I really should reboot the Kingdom of CYStia stuff and do a new story about how Thara took out the competition and just the current lineup in what's left of the the villain's lair. Somehow we let Ford take over with his own CYS fic universe.

4 years ago
Commended by EndMaster on 2/28/2020 7:36:45 AM

Didn't know they had made an anime about it.

4 years ago

Lol, that really is perfect.

4 years ago

I took a peek in just to see how you guys have been doing while I'm stuck at home because of the virus thing, and seeing this is quite disheartening. Without Cricket, an integral piece of the community is missing. I remember when she belted out a Czech song directly into my eardrums because she had forgot her mic on in the music chat. I still listen to that song sometimes, and I improved the first two lines with the help of Google Translate my superior intellect:

Darmo sa ty trápíš, muj milý kriketcku;
a nosím já tebe, a nosím v srdécku.

Take care lil grillo, and may you find many hotdishes on your way.

4 years ago
I read the other day you guys cancelled Carnival.
:(

Nice to see you pop in though Undr. Stay safe from the coronazombies. If you hear someone cough, decapitate them immediately or otherwise destroy the brain.

Killa was over there for work until just a couple of months ago... December might've been a terrible month to go back to Canada's frigid asshole, but turned out to be great timing for escaping Italy.

4 years ago
Agreed. Was joking with coworkers today that I just missed it lol.

On the other hand, the local team in Northern Italy (whom I still speak with) don't seem too concerned.

4 years ago
cricc good