Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The forum is dead

4 months ago
It's with great sorrow and regret that we gather here today to mourn the passing of the CYS forum.

It lived a long and colorful life, passing suddenly at the ripe old age of 22 after a long struggle with terminal apathy. The forum was survived by all of you guys, I guess, in theory.

By today we are here to celebrate the forum as it was in life. Does anyone have any fond reminiscences or parting words you'd like to share?

The forum is dead

4 months ago

I remember my first post here was when a young 3J was talking shit about Infinite Story and saying how My Adventure Games (As CYS was called back then) was better. Mind you I didn't get hostile, I basically just loled and then his next immediate post was one saying that I was alright, just those OTHER IS folks sucked. Lol.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

RIP to the forums. I will miss them dearly, except the Advanced Editor Forum, which I always considered to be the worst one.

During this difficult time, I'd like to take a moment on this December evening to remember one of the greatest threads of all time.

The forum is dead

4 months ago
Lore continues to be collected, albiet tossed in a pile - out of order and unorganized. The lorekeepers are not loresorters.

The forum is dead

4 months ago
It most certainly is not dead

The forum is mostly dead

4 months ago

It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

What's that?

Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

The forum is mostly dead

4 months ago
It's not dead, it's resting

The forum is mostly dead

4 months ago
The new black is spicy though

The forum is mostly dead

4 months ago

Spicy is the new black

The forum is dead

4 months ago
The forums were here for me when I found the self-respect and dignity to leave that other place and its toxic culture. I will miss it and there will never be another forums to fill the void in my heart. Rest in peace.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

Give me 24 hours. I'll bring it back to life.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

As you wish.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

A little less than 11 hours left, how's it going?

The forum is dead

4 months ago

Unfortunately I had to sleep then work. I would've given myself 6 hours otherwise.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

I see you managed to make good on your statement just barely within the 24 hour mark.

Congrats on maintaining your lead over Ebon.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

RIP to one of the forums of all time. It will be missed.

The forum is dead

4 months ago
I forgot that we do have a necromancer around, are you the first of the undead?

The forum is dead

4 months ago

I sure hope so.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

The guilt of staring at the CYS chrome extension finally eroded away my will. 

The forum is dead

4 months ago
There are still loads of people playing games fwiw, they just primarily seem to be middle schoolers without accounts.

@Will11 how does it feel to be the most popular author on the site?

The forum is dead

4 months ago
The comment section on my Titanic game has been overrun by the young. My waking hours are haunted by grammatically incorrect and barely coherent splatterings of words, the literary equivalent of a vocalized sneeze, textual evidence of the depressing limitations of education systems worldwide...

I don't mind really though. The secret to attracting vast numbers of these random comments is simple: write as much as you can. Don't listen when they tell you that your writing sucks and is almost entirely one genre (history), that you're a computer person who doesn't go out enough and that the gamebook format basically died in the l90's, just say "Mum, Dad, you don't get it. These semi-literate kids understand me. Look, kawlboy86 said I'm 'gr8888888888888t', he gets it". Then get a lock on your door and only open it for takeaways.

With the quiet forum though perhaps it was a bad idea to take away the role-playing games (though I played the role of a person who didn't play them) and the daily point and not really replacing them with anything except the "orders", which are like a more indifferent version of Hogwarts Houses. There was also a time a few years ago when the forums seemed so toxic you couldn't go through them without metaphorically putting your foot in something unpleasant, I think that put some people off. The writing competitions are a good idea and maybe there are some other forum-based games or activities that might trigger participation (I still like the idea of reading competitions so my stories might get comments from site members who can write full sentences with really impressive stuff like capital letters and full stops, real snazzy stuff).

Things come and go though, there's been times when the forums were super busy and times when they were super quiet. I'm sure it'll pick up again at some point :)

The forum is dead

4 months ago
I think the real secret is to write historical fiction touching on some of the same subjects that teachers like, and getting volunteered to be an unpaid contributor to the curriculum. We should have a contest where everyone writes about either the Titanic or the Donner Party, give you some competition. Or someone should write (an AMERICAN FRIENDLY) game about the Revolutionary War if they really want to reel the teachers in. Or something about the Civil War. Maybe the Titanic game needs a reboot for modern audiences. A Titanic Experience: IT WAS GOOD EXPEARENS But seriously I'm just glad these kids are reading at all, and I think a few of them ended up poking around the rest of the site. As for the forums, yeah, the activity levels come and go. I wasn't being entirely serious with this thread, we have just been in a major slump the past couple months. Which tbf is pretty reflective of the majority of users being occupied with surviving college...or else being kids with hypercontrolling parents who have convinced them that they'll starve in a gutter if they ever get a B even before college. The number of kids who have had to sneak AROUND their parents to read or write as a hobby is depressingly hilarious. Driving out the mentally ill furries, weebs, and eight year olds and enabling Steve to sandblast away the last of their influence I still stand by as a good and necessary thing, any unintended casualties aside. I don't think anyone would have liked the dark reality where they were allowed to breed down in the depths of Forum Games. And we've had plenty of games and activities in the Creative Corner since then that stay on track with a little more oversight. End has taken teams through roleplaying games several times, Sent runs his big Blacksmith event now and then, and the Thunderdome duels have been mostly successful. If you've got the time you're more than welcome to drop in now and then and participate--in the Thunderdome threads for instance we've usually had plenty of writers, whether they're viable or not has more to do with voter activity. (And the Thunderdome in particular was created as an easy comm farming activity, which gives points...or people could also just do something crazy, like rate a storygame.)

The forum is dead

4 months ago

There was a guy called "PoopyPeanuts" (Not to be confused with donteatpoop) who did CYOAs of various tragedies. He did one of 9/11, V-Tech Massacre and hurricane Katrina. 

Maybe Will could do one based on that OceanGate sub that was exploring around the titanic.

The forum is dead

4 months ago
Yeah, I think, by chance, the things I like writing about are also some of the things teachers teach. It’s funny you mention those topics because the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and the Manson Family are some of the stories I’m working, on and off, at the moment. I did think about writing about 9/11 but I’m pretty amateurish in my research and for these recent disasters I think a lot of the pain is still too fresh for some people so there’s a lot of risk dealing with modern tragedies. I think writing about the Oceangate Sub would look something like: Page 1, Do you go in the sub? Yes (2) No (3), 2: You’re dead, 3: You’re fine. Some topics are very hard to spin a story out of.

I know I don’t use the site as much as I should. I’m back in the UK now working as an online tutor but I’m going back to China in January so right now is a good time for writing if I don’t let unimportant stuff like Christmas and family get in the way. Tbf I don’t use the forums often enough to know what’s happening on them really. I just had a look in the Creative Corner and it seems there’s a lot of good stuff going on there. I try not to get distracted though and just focus on finishing writing projects so I can keep publishing one or two new stories on the site every year (lately I seem interested in writing longer and longer stories, which take a lot more time).

Like a genie in a lamp though as long as you do the @ summoning thing I’ll always pop up and if there is something I can do that doesn’t take up too much of my ridiculously limited free time (still working 7 days a week for reasons beyond my understanding) I’ll try to help out. :)

The forum is dead

4 months ago

I probably should have mentioned that the Poopypeanuts guy that wrote the CYOAs of various modern tragedies wrote them in a comedic tone. The V-tech one for example, you were actually playing as the shooter and the 9/11 one involved you playing as a complete asshole who just so happened to get caught in the World Trade Center attack. (Unless you didn't go to work that day)

You might be correct however in the length. The two I mentioned were pretty short (Less than 20 pages) His Katrina one though was sizable enough, probaby due to it lasting longer and more to do. You played as someone who got caught up in it, but you had the option of doing some pretty dastardly stuff while trying to seek safety. (Killing, raping, basically taking advantage of the chaos, etc)

The forum is dead

4 months ago
I assume this was on Infinite Story?

The forum is dead

4 months ago

Yep.

Funny story with that guy (Other than his name) Some OTHER guy appeared on Infinite Story plagiarizing his work which was all on Poopy's own website.

Wasn't until a little later that we found out and Poopy himself popped up to rightfully complain. He didn't even mind that the stories were on the site, just that someone had took credit for his work

The other dude got banned and the stories got taken down. (A rare instance of Sev actually doing something on his site)

Looks like Poopy did release the V-Tech one there under his name though.

https://infinite-story.com/story/room.php?id=52353

Virginia Tech: A Cho-ose Your Own Adventure

Lol "Cho"

The forum is dead

4 months ago
Those sound like quite good fun :D I don't think I'm chill enough to write about a real tragedy in a comedic way; intense research about stuff like the child killer / rapist from the Alphabet Killer and put me off a Hunting the Hunters (find the 10 serial killers) thing I was thinking of doing.

More and more I find it hard to do credit to a story in just a few words, these days if I'm going to write something I might as well do one or two hundred pages (A4) on it, which obviously leads to a lot of stuff not getting finishing. Having said that, the Hurricane Katrina story sounds like fun and your Trash and Love Sick stories are always good for evil laughs. :)

The forum is dead

4 months ago
Congrats on escaping China!

...oh, you're going back?

Ocean's Gate seems like it would be pretty limited, yeah. But a story where you're doing something on a real, functional submarine might be cool. I always likes underwater settings and feel they're underutilized. (Despite hating the ocean so much I can't even play Subnautica without feeling physically ill.)

The forum is dead

4 months ago
And I just want you to know you have my full support, it's never too late OR too early for HOW NOT TO WRITE- A Manson Family Adventure - Part 1 - Chapter I - Section A: The Beginning of the Start

The forum is dead

4 months ago

I like the system we have now. Besides, we are ushering in an age of reading even if the literacy levels among the random kids around here aren't bad. But those are potential future members who might learn to read anyhow

The forum is dead

4 months ago

Maybe later

The forum is dead

4 months ago
huhh...

The forum is dead

4 months ago
the gays are whats ruining america

The forum is dead

4 months ago

Though I think this is a little harsh, I agree.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

The forum is dead

4 months ago

Spicy is the new black.

The forum is dead

4 months ago

huhh...

The forum is dead

4 months ago

The forum is dead and we killed it

4 months ago

Today, we gather to honor and celebrate the life of CYS Forums, which touched the hearts of everyone it encountered. I know I have been touched many times in many places by the diverse souls here in the community. I'd like to take a moment to thank my mom, Jesus, and most importantly, you, Mizal.
I can confidently say that the CYS forums have played a large part in my life, and like Sour Patch Kids, during the moment there was nothing but sourness, but now there is nothing but a sickly sweet aftertaste.

4 months ago
You still owe us some drawings.

4 months ago

Your mom

(I'll see what I can do)

4 months ago

No way this cuntmuffin died again.

The forum is Undead

4 months ago

Okay, the forums have been active enough for awhile now that they aren't dead anymore.

We'll all do this again the next time the forums "die."

The forum is Undead

4 months ago

Seems like I missed the funeral, although I'm glad the forum is no longer dead. Good thing we have a necromancer mod. Long live CYStia!

The forum is Undead

4 months ago
Forum: *immediately lies down in the grave again*

But it's just napping it's fine.

The forum is Undead

4 months ago

I'll try to nudge it awake.