Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Here's something depressing to see in my messages.

7 years ago

To: madglee
Date: 3/23/2017 1:01:49 AM

Hey madglee, 

Looks like today is the "big day" for you, turning 43 and all. 

As a small birthday treat, enjoy 15 "Experience Points" on me! 

Best Wishes, 
Cysid, the Ultimate Choose-Your-Own-Adventurer

To: madglee
Date: 3/23/2007 1:00:00 AM

Hey madglee, 

Looks like today is the "big day" for you, turning 33 and all. 

As a small birthday treat, enjoy 10 "MAG Points" on me! 

Best Wishes, 
Cysid, the Ultimate Choose-Your-Own-Adventurer

7 years ago
You're depressed that the name changed from "MAG Points" to "Experience Points?"
Belated Happy Birthday!

7 years ago

Belated happy birthday! You're only as old as you feel.

7 years ago

I think it's the contrast of the two different dates strung out in yearly messages which struck me as depressing. I plan to upload/enter the singularity in 2040 anyway, so it will be irrelevant.

7 years ago
By any chance, do you watch Black Mirror?

7 years ago

Happy somewhat late birthday, legendary marauder berserker ragebeast.

7 years ago

Happy Birthday, Mr. Pointy.

7 years ago
Happy birthday!

7 years ago
Happy birthday, congrats on being a full decade closer to death then when you started out!

7 years ago

Happy birthday!

And second the motion re: upload, though I plan to delay as long as possible. Never been an early adopter, I like welll-proven technology.

7 years ago
lol you're old but gold

happy birthday madglee

7 years ago

Time flies, huh?

Happy belated birthday, madglee.

7 years ago

Happy belated birthday! :D

7 years ago

Happy birthday, Madglee o.o

7 years ago

I thought you were only a year older than me.

Anyway, congrats on being the third oldest person on the site!

7 years ago
Who's older than Death itself?!

7 years ago

Madglee.

7 years ago

Madglee, Fleshy and IAP.

I think IAP is the oldest.

7 years ago
Hmm, well I guess digital CYoAs would be 'new media' for the masses. Otherwise I'm surprised that a writing focused site doesn't have anyone older than their 40s.

7 years ago

I think the genre is more or less still seen as teens-young adult at best, so I imagine that’s why you wouldn’t find as many older writer types here since they’re presumably on “real writing” sites.

Though given the stories Mizal’s told me about the communities at some of those writing sites that she’s lurked on, I’m good with hanging out here.

7 years ago

Personally I suspect it's the mental block they have in trying out any newfangled tech (story editors) that holds them back (wot? hyperlinks, wots all this?!). Given enough general writing expertise, writing branching storylines in a cave style is simple.

In your case, you're uniquely well set at writing that kind of branching yet meaningful narrative, so I'd say you're objectively strong at this format, far more than a migrant writer from the other side would be. Furthermore, if those old timers read your work (no coded variables, though you implicitly manage timelines and variables very well through your notes), I do suspect a couple would jump over and dip their feet into CYoAs (it'd be a nice novelty for them, I suspect). Then again, the audience here is on the young side, which is perhaps what leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy that older writers wouldn't fit in.

6 years ago
IAP? How old would we say?

6 years ago
I always assumed Fleshy's 78 meant he was born in 1978. That'd put him at 39, madglee just reached 43, that makes you younger than 39 and IAP > 43

6 years ago

I might be getting people's ages wrong anyway. I thought Fleshy once said he was in his mid 40s. I know IAP's said he's nearing 50, so mid-late 40s for him I guess.

Actually now that I think about it, Berka may or may not be older than me.

Which is funny since I thought Berka was an older teenager when he first showed up here since he was rather playful with the whole mustache/penguin war thing at the time. Aman was of course around at that time too and I thought he was way older than he actually was.

6 years ago
The takeaway? Barring 3J and Killa (age unknown), all the mods are on the upper tail of the age distribution on CYS

6 years ago

Killa's in his mid 20s I think. Same for JJJ.

6 years ago
I'd really love to see an age distribution chart of the site if 3J were to ever compile one, though all those deadweight alts would probably be ruining the data.

6 years ago

I've been wavering between the ages of 130 and 7 years pre-conception, and I've been a woman twice ever since I learned that nothing you put in your info really mattered. Nobody puts their actual birthday in there, if they put anything there at all. It'd be slightly more reliable if people told their actual ages, but not much.

6 years ago

Not to mention that the few people who may have put their actual birthdate would likely change it as soon as they learn that their age (which is meant to be inherently private on messaging boards) is being publicly displayed in a distribution chart, lol.

6 years ago
Why? A chart would just be a picture showing age in years, no personal/individual data from anyone would need be revealed nor would be relevant. I've never really used messaging boards before CYS, so I'm not sure what the etiquette is regarding age disclosure (intentional or otherwise). The CYS community has been fairly circumspect about personal details compared to say Facebook, but I always assumed that was by design (to avoid things devolving into a social network instead of a writing network), with any disclosures being voluntary.
As for Sent's age/gender eccentricities I blame it all on reading too much literature on reincarnation.
Also, this is slightly turning into a derail for madglee's birthday wishes, so I'll stop here.

6 years ago

Oh, no, I'm not actually any of those ages. I just like getting absurd ages (And Easter Egg PMs) in my birthday messages.

6 years ago

I have never seen an age distribution chart on another website that utilizes forums, and for a good reason; forum boards are anonymous and don't require the user to display any information beyond username, password, and email (maybe give or take a few things, depending on the particular forum, but that's usually the bare minimum). Not only is it pointless and highly inaccurate, but it goes against what a forum board should possess: anonymity. The age of a user should not be displayed publicly, even if the actual contribution is anonymous. Also, I don't see the point of an age distribution chart; what benefits would arise from implementing it? What would be worth taking time out of 3J's time to implement this that couldn't be spent on implementing another, more useful feature? 

Also, madglee or another mod can break off this derail into its own thread at any time.

6 years ago

Oh, a chart of that sort would be just for kicks, something cute (yes, some data can be cute, judge me if you will), not a feature. As I've said, I'm a stranger to messaging board culture, so I'll take your word on anonymity being serious business.

E: For comparison, CoG's data (none is available for CYS). Scroll down to the bottom for demographics (males over-represented, though I think End would disagree with that on the lines that they don't call themselves males or females given the change, overwhelmingly grad students, mostly on the site at work)

6 years ago

I'm 39 this year. 

6 years ago
A decade goes by fast when looked back upon. I got in right at the end of the site's MAG days - now being halfway to my own CYS decade haha!

6 years ago

On my first site birthday I tuned 11. Nearly 1/3 of me life has been spent on this site.

6 years ago

Haha, you're almost dead. Humor.

6 years ago

I'd love to see Steve do a stand up comedy routine.

6 years ago

Aren't most comedians assholes who insult people?

6 years ago

As a comedian myself, I see myself as an exception to this rule. But I know several who do fit this stereotype.

6 years ago
I wish now that I hadn't deleted my old ones.  Of course, I haven't been a member here as long as some of you, but the reminder of how old I am is depressing enough.