Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

General World Events Thread

5 years ago
So it seems as if they’re still butting heads about the whole situation as the deadline looms nearer.

More jobs are cool I guess, if apple or other mega corporations would be willing to up their wages for manufacture employees by 200% compared to the Mexicans they pay two pesos a hour to build their products.

I’m not all for having commercial goods rising in price, I don’t think it would even be feasible with the increased wages.

Oh well, I guess we’ll find out soon enough if they do end the deal.

What do you guys think?

5 years ago
*crickets*

5 years ago

Here, let's try to help Digit's failed attempt at discussing current political world event shit. Here's a few more:

Trump and Kim's nuclear pissing contest

That thing about the Iranians and their nuke program

Jews and Palestinians kicking each other in the balls in Gaza (again)

Discuss if you want.

5 years ago

Jerusalem belongs to Jesus. 

5 years ago

With Kim Jong, I've no idea what's going on. I don't think the North Korean government is stupid enough to actually give up their nukes, but maybe they will if they've found some secret way of not getting wiped out by America as soon as the nukes are gone. I don't know, it's a global shitshow.

The Iran Deal was a good thing and pretty necessary. Taking it away not only hurts the world, but also weakens the US' diplomatic ability as a whole.

In regards to the Jews and Palestines, I'm stuck between two attitudes. On one hand, it's clearly not the Jews' lands and the idea of taking other people's land and giving them their own ethno-state was a fucking terrible one. However, on the other hand, there is a certain white man's burden thing going on in my head where I realize the Israeli government is a lot more progressive and less backwards than the Palestinian one, and the idea of supporting the less immoral group in this immoral Endeavour seems to be an unlikable option. Plus, they're not that much better in the end. Ultimately, either it's the Palestinians land, or we should say fuck it, kick them both out and send over a group of Irish, Icelandic and Scandanavian feens to colonize the place, because fuck it, I want a non-theocracy shithole over there.

5 years ago
Carving out Israel in the first place was an incredibly awful idea, even from just a logistical standpoint. Would've been much simpler and safer hacking off a piece of Germany. But they're there now, so you deal with what's at hand.

Getting invaded and losing your land sucks, but I don't know why the international community gets so up in arms about how Israel leaches into Palestine and expands territory when Ukraine was trying to join the EU and no one did anything meaningful when Russia took Crimea.

5 years ago
The real mistake was being such pussy weaklings as to leave any Palestinians around to whine and do attacks on them in the first place.

Should've looked to the Old Testament as a guidebook on how to properly occupy the land God gave them, but oh well, if they'd listened in the first place they'd never have gotten driven out to begin with.

Really, the Jews should be embarrassed they allowed that whole diaspora and centuries of oppression and Holocaust thing to happen. Like come the fuck on people, God was literally giving you superpowers and you fucked it all up.

5 years ago

There's a reason they've been kicked out of over 110 countries throughout history. 

5 years ago

And what is that reason?

5 years ago

The racist tendencies of Judaism leading to a very little population growth, meaning that the heavy conversion attitudes of the religions that sprouted from it spread far faster than it, allowing them to become a minority that could be be abused. Also, the noses.

5 years ago

yep :P

5 years ago
Big noses = big dicks. The men of other countries were just jealous and angry about their own inadequacy..

5 years ago
Can confirm: Oranges' feminine penis is proportional to her nose.

5 years ago
@Orange

Ummm....

5 years ago

He's wrong. My penis is waaay bigger than my nose.

5 years ago
I'm scared.

5 years ago

Ogre11 Banned until 4018.

Reason: Transphobia

5 years ago
Dammit, not again!

5 years ago
canon

5 years ago

Not really an earth shattering world event, but still funny.

That white chick who said she was black and got to be head of the NAACP for awhile, got arrested for welfare fraud.

http://time.com/5291133/rachel-dolezal-welfare-fraud-charges/

5 years ago
She's willing to commit welfare fraud just to prove how black she is

5 years ago

Lol, that’s racist.

Though to be honest, I posted the story figuring that one of you couldn’t resist making such a comment. Just wasn’t sure which one of you was going to do it first.

5 years ago
Would've definitely been me if I'd seen it, give me some credit here.

5 years ago
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/us/oklahoma-city-shooting/index.html

"As the gunman ran from the scene, two bystanders got their own handguns from the trunks of their vehicles, then confronted and fatally shot the attacker outside the restaurant, Mathews said Friday."

Who needs police?

5 years ago
So anyone want to fill me in how the North Korea thing went?

I can tell Donny boy must have done better than expected because everyone suddenly stopped reporting on it.

5 years ago

WW3 didn't start yet so I guess it went okay.

They signed something about the complete de-nuclearlization of Korea, but there weren't any specifics about when that was going to happen.

Oh and Dennis Rodman cried. Lol.

5 years ago
fkn died when I saw the pic of dennis rodman crying in a maga hat and potcoin shirt

5 years ago
OK looked that up, that was pretty good thanks.

Almost made up for my disappointment over not getting a nuclear war.

5 years ago
All I read was that Trump conceded ending the War Games with South Korea in exchange for a promise of continued nuclear talks or something to that effect. But who knows these days.

Fox News: North Korean state media highlights US concession on war games

5 years ago

Nothing solid, but I've an optimistic feeling about that. The Korean situation is probably going to improve, so that's nice.

5 years ago
I don't know, man. I'm not a war hawk or anything, but being prepared to help our ally seems pretty important, and to give it away for a promise from a guy Glorious Supreme Leader notorious for breaking them seems kind of risky. But who knows. Maybe Dennis Rodman's pal means it this time.

But then, maybe there was an under the table understanding that it's all a charade anyway, and that the two would agree to metaphorically stroke each other's "egos" in the various media outlets for mutual benefit?

5 years ago

War games aren't nearly as important as you think they are, ultimately, and I think it means a lot more that Kim is stepping back from his aggressive posturing than anything, and actively at least claiming to be denuclearizing.

Anyhow, in the modern era thanks to the internet, suppression of information is harder than ever, and I feel the evidence is stacking that Kim has realized his position is going to be lost, and thus the best path forward is going with the tide.

5 years ago
He's not getting rid of the nukes and was never going to, no country is idiotic enough to give up their ultimate bargaining chip. It's a pretty good thing to not have relationships be openly hostile with a country with nukes and not a whole lot to lose however.

5 years ago

At first that's what I thought, but that's not really true. North Korea's nuclear arsenal isn't going to help them when the very likely possibilities of civil unrest and that end up tearing him apart, and that's a very strong fear in this age. Kim still has on his side that war with him would be deadly, even without nukes, and in denuclearisation he opens up the avenue of limited but positive reform leading to him gaining the security and legitimacy that he so desires. That's a far stronger move than remaining the crazy nation with a gun to everyone's head. Without the justification of eliminating a nuclear power, and China eager to not have US troops on the Korean border, denuclearisation is clearly the intelligent option for Jong.

5 years ago

Well, I'm thinking this was all a long, drawn out series of bullshit anyway. He knows his nukes won't save him from the super powers of the world if it actually came to war. Basically he needed a way to save face (and possibly lesson economic sanctions against him), and of course on our end, we weren't really willing to go to war either. Too much cost and nothing really to gain. So Trump gets to save face (and gain political points), and The Glorious Leader gets to save face. Just a slow political con, and masterfully executed by both parties.

But at least Dennis Rodman gets to cry tears of joy. Haven't seen him this happy since he was a Chicago Bull.

5 years ago

How on earth do you conflate genuine negotiation and people changing their minds with "bullshit" and a "con game"? This would be marking the moment that Kim Jong was convinced the nuclear option wasn't he best one for his country, which he clearly thought it was in the past. Perhaps Kim isn't going to denuclearise, but if you think he is and he no longer thinks nukes will protect him, to call this bullshit and to ignore the incredible work of those involved in the negotiation would be the height of ignorance.

5 years ago
I think he won't denuclearized and never intended to. I think his intention was to provoke the U.S. and the west to the point that a meeting like this was a political necessity, with the ultimate aim of removing some of the walls between his nation and the rest of the world. But I could be wrong. Global politics isn't my strong suit.

5 years ago

Well then you saying he knows his nukes won't save him seems even stupider, as that's the only reason he'd spend such outlandish amounts of money on nuclear armament. The idea that he's been provoking people purposefully for the sake of REMOVING these international walls is even more ridiculous. That's not how negotiation works, you don't try to make your existence seem like more of a threat when you can start trying to break down those walls from the get-go without putting more up.

5 years ago
His nukes could never save him- in an actual war-, but they could cause enough chaos to make it not worth removing him. And I would have to disagree with your second point on the following grounds: he provoked the hell out of Trump, and the result is Trump went and met with him in Singapore. Anyway, not really keen on getting into a massive political debate, as I said it isn't my strong suit anyway. Have at it.

5 years ago

If you're looking to legitimize your nation through negotiating, you don't do so by massively delegitimizing your nation so you can go back to legitimizing it. Trump was already willing to meet with Kim, he's said as much on the campaign trail, so I'm not really sure what you think the point of it was, unless you're confusing "Thing A happened, then Thing B happened" with "Thing A caused Thing B and was the only possible cause".

But yeah, not your strong suit, so whatever.

5 years ago

Not content on just making America great again, apparently we’re going to make Mars our bitch on top it.

Would you like to know more?

5 years ago

If you're going to send colonists to another planet, send them to Venus.  The early sci-fi writers assumed that's exactly what would happen, since Venus is so much nearer and is only slightly smaller than the Earth.  This changed when it was discovered that Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system, hotter even than Mercury, and has crushing atmospheric pressure at ground level.  This makes it impossible for humans to set foot on the surface of Venus.  Plus there's the matter of sulfuric rain.....

However, who said we had to set foot on the surface?  Just as the Earth's atmosphere thins and cools the higher you go, so does Venus's.  At approximately 30 miles above the surface, the temperature drops to around 72F, with the atmospheric pressure exactly equal to that on the Earth's surface.  Floating at that level would be no trouble at all, since the oxygen and nitrogen mix which people would breathe (which can easily be extracted from Venus's atmosphere) would cause the settlement to float.  And since the pressure is the same on the inside as on the outside, should there be a tear, the oxygen would seep out so slowly that the damage could be fixed without any particularly urgency.  Unlike Mars, where such a breech would be catastrophic, due to the pressure difference.

The trip to Venus would require three months, as opposed to a trip to Mars, which would require between six to eight months.

With modern technology, you cannot simply blast off to Mars or Venus whenever you like.  You have to wait for the planets to line up properly.  Such ideal launch dates occur more frequently for trips to Venus than to Mars.

The Venusian thick atmosphere would naturally slow down arriving spacecraft, making the need for expensive rockets unnecessary, which a Martian landing would require.

As mentioned above, people on Venus would live with the conditions outside having the same temperature and air pressure found on Earth, unlike Mars which is much colder and has a much lower air pressure.

Although we cannot be 100% certain, Venus's gravity, at 9/10th that of Earth's, would likely not lead to bone decalcification and other health problems that Mars's low gravity would cause.

Venus provides natural protection against cosmic radiation.  Mars doesn't.

Venus receives 4x more sun than Mars.  This means a good source of energy.  It also would be wonderful for plant life.  Plants love carbon dioxide, and Venus's atmosphere is 95% carbon dioxide.

The only two advantages Mars has over Venus are:

You don't have sulfuric rain on Mars.  However, at such a high altitude, the Venusian sulfuric rain is much rarer.  Still, it does happen, so colonists would have to take vigilant measures to ensure they aren't caught outside during the rain.

You can actually set foot on the surface of Mars.  If you're wearing a pressure suit, that is.  Sure, the Venusian colonists won't be able to set foot on the surface of Venus, but they will be able to go outside without wearing pressure suits.  All they'll need is a tank of oxygen.  Otherwise, you'd be able to go outside in your underwear, if that appeals.

In summary, it would be cheaper and easier to colonize Venus than Mars.

If you believe I'm simply making this up, I invite you to read the following article, or Google the advantages of colonizing Venus over Mars and read the information for yourself.

https://medium.com/@Jernfrost/why-colonize-venus-instead-of-mars-c490d14c0531

5 years ago
Mail this post to the White House immediately.

5 years ago

Considering the Russians landed some probes on Venus back in the 70s, I’m sure they would approve.

5 years ago
But what about Newt Gingrich’s moon colony?

5 years ago

Going to have to clear out the Nazis on the darkside of it first.

5 years ago

killing Moon Nazis makes you the Real Moon Nazi 

5 years ago

Pamela Sargent wrote a Hard SF trilogy about the terraforming of Venus. I've only read the first one in the series (Venus of Dreams, 1986), but she had the colonists initially living in floating habitats in the upper atmosphere.

5 years ago

I've never read that series, but I'll be on the lookout for it.

5 years ago

I have one concern here. Is the low amount of oxygen enough? Because according to the link below, plants actually do need oxygen as well.

Do plants have to have oxygen to survive? Or can plants (other than the plants in wetlands) live without oxygen?

5 years ago

My reading on the subject never brought up this issue.  I guess if the plants do need oxygen and if Venus doesn't have enough, then the plants would have to be grown in floating greenhouses.

5 years ago
Which really shouldn't be too much of a problem given there are no drastic needs like pressurization.

5 years ago

Sorry, what the fuck is it that you're describing, exactly? I mean, you say that the gases the colonists breathe alone would hold the settlement afloat, so I'm assuming it's some, like, massive floating sphere of breathable gas with a colony in it, almost like a hot air balloon where we're in the balloon, but apparently, the colonists can be caught in the rain, which they couldn't if they were in a self-contained atmosphere, but if they weren't and could be caught by the rain, the gas would escape, and... fuck, I don't know.

Please clarify, David.

5 years ago
I assume somebody would have to be outside the colony at times to do repairs or something

5 years ago

The colonists would be able to exit the floating colony and walk around the outside.  Presumably you'd have catwalks or other structures allowing such excursions, such as to make repairs, or simply for the pleasure of being able to go outside.  There's nothing complicated about that.  You wouldn't even need a pressure lock, since the pressure on the inside and the outside is equal.  You'd just have to bring a tank of air with you.  Venus's atmosphere at that height won't harm you, you just can't breathe it.  You'd have to be careful about the sulfuric rain, and, I suppose, watch out that you don't fall off.  The colony's air would contain a mix of nitrogen and oxygen, which could float in Venus's atmosphere, which is 95% carbon dioxide.  Depending on the precise nature of the construction, it is possible that additional buoyancy would be needed, in which case you'd use a system similar to a blimp on earth, filled with either hydrogen (which is perfectly safe to use on Venus, unlike Earth) or helium.  Both gasses can be extracted from Venus's atmosphere, so that's not a problem.  In the event of a tear, the hydrogen or helium would escape so slowly that there would be ample time to effect repairs.  If you're dubious about this, it is worth noting that in World War I, British planes would fire bullets into German blimps, which could still stay afloat despite extensive damage.

Hope that clarifies, Steve.  I invite you to read the link I posted for more info, or indeed, visit NASA's own website.

5 years ago

:) Sounds awesome!

5 years ago

Ah, it does indeed. Thank you.

5 years ago

:) This sounds awesome! (And would make an awesome sci-fi as well.)

I think they should try to bring self-sustaining life to as many planets & moons as they can. As we stand today, a planet-killer asteroid could still wipe out all life we know of. Colonies on Venus, Mars, the moon (and other moons) would give life and humanity a better chance at survival.

5 years ago
The trump people have made 6 logos for it and all of them suck ass. [here they are]

Pro tip: If you draw a spaceship, don't put a little round window in it - it looks childish. Also all the colors on all of them are wrong. I really really really hope they go with something simple and iconic like the army's square with a star in it or the air force's abstract wings thing. Even the navy logo is simple and iconic (eagle holding an anchor). Literally nobody would mistake the navy logo for anything other than the american navy. I would easily mistake the space force optional logo that says "mars awaits" as an ad for spacex.

5 years ago

Another glorious day in the Empire...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/maryland-newspaper-shooting/index.html

Wondering if this was just some independent disgruntled nut, or someone stupidly took that Milo faggot seriously when he was calling for people to shoot a journalist for vigilante justice.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/393357-kennedy-announces-retirement-from-supreme-court

This seems to be the one a lot of people are really worried about since it's most likely going to result in an even more conservative Supreme Court. Get your abortions and gay marriages in now folks!

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/394565-gop-north-carolina-candidate-god-is-racist-jews-are-descended-from-satan

"What is wrong with being a white supremacist? God is a racist and a white supremacist," - Russell Walker

Just lol.

5 years ago
That last one is an interesting platform. Better than the pedophile platform guy though.

5 years ago
I love how he actually cites scripture from the Old Testament in the following page and then claims that the Bible was altered at a different part (the lineage of Christ per the Gospels):

CHRIST'S GENEALOGY (according to this crayon eating fartnugget).

5 years ago

The newspaper that was shot up and the police commissioner responding to the situation performed their roles with a great deal of class and I'm very impressed by them. But nah, was just come faggot stalker.

5 years ago

For a racist, God sure has a thing for Asian Women.

5 years ago
That is remarkable.

5 years ago

From the homeless guy in California claiming to be God, to the Ethiopian Church claiming to have the actual Ark of the Covenant hidden away somewhere, to this family in Japan, we really do have people belting the entire globe who want a piece of the Abrahmic pie no matter what they believe about it.

5 years ago

Well this is happening today apparently:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/portland-patriot-prayer-proud-boys-rally_us_5b646217e4b0de86f4a0ba04

Can't wait to see what the fallout of this shitstorm will be.

5 years ago

A few people got hit with rocks and the cops deployed some flash bangs but that’s about it. The rally and the counter protest both sucked.

5 years ago
Better luck next time.

5 years ago

that was fucked up actually. the cops lined up in front of the proud boys and teargassed the counter-protestors. they then posted their mugshots on social media, which they literally don't do for other suspects. 

5 years ago

5 years ago
Yeah I heard about this.

I am a Citizen of Bangladesh. This is a plea for help.

On 29th of July 2018 school going students were killed by a reckless bus driver. The students protested with slogans on the same bus stand.

Since then All students of Bangladesh are protesting for safer roads and more strict regulations.

Their intention was never to harm even a single person. Neither it is now.

But today POLICE AND PEOPLE OF CHATRO LEAGUE tortured students with tear shell,shot them with bullets, beat students brutally and raped the female students (on 4th August 2018). The students are trying to defend themselves with sticks and tree branches that they've found on the streets.

4 students have been murdered and other 4 female students have been raped. And the Government is sitting there silent.

WE NEED YOUR HELP. PLEASE.

LET THE WORLD KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN BANGLADESH . Spread the news throughout all the social medias and email the international medias so that they can personally take a look at it.

Well I'm sure the world will get right on that whole caring thing. It has such a good track record so far.

Also it sounds like Facebook has been just fine with taking down messages like these, I guess because someone in the Bangladesh government is asking them too in addition to their other efforts to keep details from getting out like shutting down cell phone networks etc. What a good company I'm glad so many people give them money.

e: Well according to this some actress was jailed for posting photos on Facebook, so maybe they're just unsure how to handle the situation now. But the people posting the stuff I'd assume are aware of the risk they're taking and so I still wouldn't consider removing it all the best option. They want people to know what's going on.

There aren't really any mainstream news people in Bangladesh and the local stuff is controlled by the government so they're pretty fucked by the sound of it.

5 years ago

Well, considering a lot of countries send military and resources to help on these kinds of situations, it's the best thing to hope for. I doubt these people in Bangladesh have guns like Murica, so rebelling would be useless. Better hope for Globalization to save them than to keep quiet and get murdered/dragged out of your home.

Everything else is spot on. I was pretty much neutral/meh on Facebook for some time now but helping a dictatorship murder innocent students because "muh money" is ridiculous, even more so considering Bangladesh isn't even that big of a country. Unlike Google with China.

Now, i get it that this post has a left tone to it, but https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/94ivyd/school_students_have_been_protesting_in_demand/e3lwjzf/?context=3 is unnaceptable. No matter your political position or social movement, picking a fight over the guy for expressing his empathy for inexistent sexism is ridiculous.

5 years ago

This seems more promising as far as good world news goes.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/04/world/climate-change-deadly-summer-wxc-intl/index.html

5 years ago

Nice, looks like pretty soon your going to have more souls for your soul furnace... Still for those of us who aren't undead, that kinda sucks.

5 years ago

Right wing nut, Alex Jones got UNpersoned on several media platforms recently. While I get the logic behind doing it by the various corporations, not sure if it was the best way to handle him.

Given his love of conspiracy theories, the fact that several large corporations banned him, he now actually has a more legitimate (if very weak) argument for his New World Order insanity. (See! They shut me down! I told you!) Not to mention even folks that think he’s a complete fucktard might still very well defend him on the freedom of speech thing. Still I doubt if much is going to change apart from some grumbling.

In any case the tinfoil hat wearers will have to go elsewhere to learn about the ongoing gay frog crisis.

5 years ago
Meh this kind of thing is just going to happen more and more with less of an excuse, it's the Twitter echo chamber mentality gone large scale but that's been how it is with most major media stuff for awhile now.

He should get on AM radio, back in the day that's where all the conspiracy theorists would hang out.

5 years ago
I saw that. Seems like a slippery slope. Anyone who didn’t want to listen or read could have ignored or blocked him. In the end, all these big companies are just pushing for their own world vision and agenda.

5 years ago

I mean, kind of hung by his own petard there. 

Idiots wanted to go on about how bakers don't have to make a fuckin cake or whatever, but private media companies are required to give them a platform 

5 years ago
He was banned for posting conspiracy theories? Isn't that against free speech?

I mean, if his posts "offended" someone, they could very well ignore the guy/block/whatever. It's not like he got out of his way to spam or something. And even so, i'm sure there are options in these social medias to block him.

5 years ago
Free speech is a protection against government censorship. Private companies can censor you however they like (to the extent that public opinion doesn't turn on them and drive down their stock prices).

5 years ago
Except companies basically own, fund, and direct the government these days.

Even if they have the right to do whatever, what I wonder is what the actual line where people would object to social media platforms enforcing one set of views or values. Or is there even a point where enough people to make a difference would care enough to stop using them over something that effects mostly people they disagree with.

Just the fact that the response to finally being called out on the invasive amount of your personal data being collected and exploited was all these companies putting up a notice going 'hey is it okay if we keep doing this thing we've been doing without your permission and consent for years?' and having most people shrug and agree without even reading it is a pretty good indicator I'd think. Nobody here stopped using their phones or favorite parts of the internet over it anyway and I doubt it was considered for even a second.

Media also directly shape views and values so that's another factor. Nearly every belief you hold is because a company did a really good job of pushing it while pushing out any opposing view.

I need to edit out what I said about 'Twitter mentality' though or at least clarify I was referring to the mindset of a lot of their users, since it turned out they're the only holdout. And it looks like they're now getting attacked for actually expecting news people to do their jobs or ordinary people to think and draw conclusions for themselves.

5 years ago
Oh, I don't disagree. I almost posted something about how ethically, there is a big difference between a small business owner telling you to get out of the store with your craziness but something else entirely when you're a multi-million client social media platform. Impact, scale, and the personal nature are all different.

5 years ago

but companies have no ethical obligation, as fucked up as that sounds. they have only a profit incentive. 

if you want to criticize capitalism, be my guest, but I don't think that's what you're doing her e

5 years ago

Okay Unite the Right 2: Neo Nazi Boogaloo is apparently happening later on this Sunday.

http://fortune.com/2018/08/11/unite-the-right-2-rally-dc/

Let's see if this one results in at least a bigger shitstorm than whatever that pathetic display was supposed to be in Portland a few days ago. (Yes, expectations are very low)

5 years ago
It’s supposedly going to be small because of neo-nazi infighting.

5 years ago

Probably can't agree on who is "white" again.

5 years ago
If these people were smart they'd all focus on the fascism first, and then they'd have the tools to start killing each other by race or whatever other criteria

5 years ago

From what I can gather is a lot of the infighting is based on the idea if a fascist fun time rally is a good idea at this time. The guy organizing it told the more “hardcore” Nazis to stay home because they don’t want to have a bad image. Even folks like Richard Spencer and Don Black don't think its a great idea.

“We do not want the image of being a bunch of weird losers who march around like assholes while completely outnumbered and get mocked by the entire planet.”

Lol.

5 years ago
Yeah I mean, makes sense, don't want people getting the idea fascism is bad.

5 years ago

Well Digit wanted to post this, but he's gotta save all his technical knowledge for nuke school, so here:

https://www.pluralist.com/posts/1824-millennial-couple-bikes-through-isis-territory-to-prove-humans-are-kind-and-gets-killed/partners/44197

As they say, play stupid games, win stupid fucking prizes.

5 years ago
Austin, a vegan who worked for the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, and Geoghegan, a vegetarian who worked in the Georgetown University admissions office, decided that they're were wasting their lives working.

REEEEEEE

...okay, article could be worded and edited just a teensy bit more professionally but that doesn't dampen the lols. '

Like if you want to believe heat is 'a make believe concept' then you do you, but at least acknowledge that through some mysterious process fire still burns and maybe don't go pouring gasoline on yourself, just in case.

Anyway, wonder if they used their last moments trying to pass out flyers on the ethics of a plant-based diet...

5 years ago

Last blog post.

http://www.simplycycling.org/blog/2017/6/8/i-quit-my-job-today

There aren't enough Picard facepalms.

5 years ago
Lol. I'm amazed they even lasted a year.

That's kind of disgusting actually, think I'd have killed the guy too if he'd come bicycling up and read that to me.

The comments are gold though.

5 years ago
Suggestions for ways normal, non-faggy people might achieve peace of mind without going out of their way to get killed by ISIS:

Sit down somewhere quiet with a glass of tea and a good book.

Go for a walk in a place with nice weather and no terrorists.

Bake cookies for someone having a shitty time.

Volunteer somewhere.

Watch a good movie.

Play a fun game.

Pet a puppy.

Just kill yourself right where you are and don't fucking blog about it.

Feel free to list your own suggestions.

5 years ago
Write a story!

5 years ago
Yes.

5 years ago
Take up anime as a hobby

5 years ago
No.

5 years ago
Quit watching anime and seek sunshine.

5 years ago

Pet two puppies!

5 years ago
Yes!!

5 years ago
"Two people who were tragically, woefully, HILARIOUSLY naive met the horrible fate that EVERYONE living in reality knew they would. Sad but play stupid games you will win stupid prizes"

That and Gina-Grant fight in the comments made this page one of my favorites.

EDIT: "When kebab meets vegan"

5 years ago

Satanists held a rally in Little Rock, Arkansas.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/satanic-temple-baphomet-statue-arkansas_us_5b75eeffe4b0a5b1feb9596b

Favorite bit is where it said counter protestors held up signs saying stuff like “Blasphemy is not free speech,” “Satan has NO rights.”

Oh and apparently Mormons don't want to be called "Mormons" anymore, but who gives a shit.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/17/us/mormon-church-name-trnd/index.html

5 years ago
I saw a headline about the Mormons the other day but thought it was a joke. Good luck with that.

5 years ago

That Mormon shit is stupid. I mean, even the idea of changing Mormons to "Church of Jesus Christ" doesn't work, because you know, that's fucking all Christian churches.

That Satanic shit looks badass, though.

5 years ago
I was wondering what kind of edgelords might show up at a thing like that, and now I know.

5 years ago

Satanic shit is pretty objectively cool looking, firstly. It's why that kind of aesthetic is so popular. But in regard to the actual event, yeah, it seems fairly obviously to be a good thing, given the purpose is for enforcing religious equality and separation of church and state. Calling it "edgelords" is either missing the point of the event entirely or purposefully ignoring it.

5 years ago

that's a cool statue. it should go in a museum when they inevitably cave because of christians' very sensitive feelings and take them all down 

5 years ago

Lol, they're just fucking with this guy now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/us/masterpiece-cakeshop-colorado-jack-phillips.html

The dude should just take the gay/tranny money and openly claim he's going to donate it to some sort of "family values" organization. It would save him a lot of pointless legal shit.

5 years ago
"This time, the suit involves a customer, Autumn Scardina, who asked Mr. Phillips to make a cake with a blue exterior and pink interior that would mark her birthday and the seventh anniversary of her gender transition."

He should've refused by saying that's a stupid cake that'll hurt his brain just to bake. Blue + pink seems ugly.

5 years ago
I like the way you think. Are there any organizations researching a cure for gender dysmorphia?

5 years ago
It'd be a lot cheaper to ask one of the other bakers in Denver to make custom alphabet soup cakes. But some organizations will intentionally seek people out to kick off "test" cases.

5 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/20/prison-labor-protest-america-jailhouse-lawyers-speak

Prisoners go on strike, the whole ceases to function. 

5 years ago
you accidentally a hyperlink

5 years ago
Uh so this Molly Tibbetts thing.

It sure has brought it to my attention that my dad has developed Strong Opinions about illegals in the last couple years.

Lol that the killer's own security cameras did him in though. What a piece of shit.

5 years ago
I still haven’t read how he abducted her. Usually attempts to abduct runners fail . . . because they kick you in the groin and run away.

5 years ago
He would watch her running by his house and then one day drove after her and then got out and ran along beside her awhile, until she got her phone out and told him to leave before she called the police.

Then he blacked out, and what I figure most likely happened is someone ELSE came along and put her in his trunk.

The poor man was clearly framed for political reasons.

Kind of surprised she didn't manage to at least dial 911 first even if she couldn't put up much of a fight, but I guess if he knocked the phone out of her hand she wouldn't have had the chance. (I'd have probably had it ringing before I even said anything...) But I guess there's no telling unless he miraculously regains his memory.

5 years ago
So, anyone else notice Hawaii's about to get scrubbed off the map? I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention to the news but it's all been political shit, I hope actual Hawaiians were given some kinds of heads up about their probably certain death later this week, on a local channel, perhaps.

5 years ago
I saw it in passing. Seemed like a big deal and was surprised it wasn't getting more attention. But sleazy lawyers, porn stars, and white collar criminals have been the topic of the day.

5 years ago
Welp...RIP

Oahu emergency officials are in the process of reviewing emergency shelter sites islandwide to determine if they're actually safe. Some couldn't withstand a Category 1 hurricane. Others are in flood zones.

5 years ago
It's so twirly and pretty...

Oh, and...

https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/phone-internet-service-out-for-department-of-hawaiian-homelands-offices-properties/1389557472

HONOLULU (KHON2) - Hundreds of residents on Hawaiian Homelands are without phone and internet service as Hurricane Lane threatens the state.

According to the Public Utilities Commission, around 10 p.m. Monday, a contractor doing road work on Farrington Highway in the Nanakuli area accidentally cut conduits and fiber optic cables belonging to Sandwich Isles Communications.

'Welp...RIP.' still appropriate here I think.

5 years ago

Remember kids, aloha means both hello and goodbye.

5 years ago
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1032713007992791040

These people are idiots but it's good footage of what 12 inches of rain all at once does to a river.

5 years ago

Nothing quite like having to evacuate and relocate hundreds of people already hunkered down in their homes with all their emergency supplies on the eve of a hurricane...

Anyway, last update I saw, it's looking like they may not get a direct hit now, which is good because very little on the island could hold up to even a Category 1, many emergency shelters included. Flooding is looking to be the main problem as an opposing wind is going to keep it hanging out awhile and dumping rain, similar to Harvey.

Flooding is really fucking dangerous and can trap you somewhere or sweep cars away fast, but doesn't sound as exciting as hurricane force winds, so some people (dumb people) will likely not take it seriously. Even in places that get hurricanes every year there's always that one mandatory family swept away in their car and then a couple more after the storm who decided to stand around under trees.

5 years ago

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1005725/south-africa-farm-seizures-white-farmers-cyril-ramaphosa-anc

White people are such pussies. They conquer and colonize a previously desolate country, only to give it away to the Zulus, who aren't even native to South Africa. And in 2 years, when the black South Africans are starving, the EU will provide them with foreign aid. This is what I call pathological altruism.

5 years ago

Well it worked so well for Zimbabwe, figured might as well try it again!

5 years ago
"You see, this farm you and your family have had for a long while, your livelihood, your home? Damn that, you're too privileged. It doesn't matter that you're a minority with little say in the government or that you're ostracized by people like me."

That the majority of the population supports (or supported) this tells much about them.

5 years ago

Don't forget that when the ANC talks about white privilege and how people with privilege won't give it away on their own, white people used to have far more privilege than they do now (before the end of Apartheid), and they voluntarily chose to give it away. Again, pathological altruism.

5 years ago
If it were true altruism that'd be one thing, but most things today are about looking good in the public eye aka virtue signaling.

Note that I didn't actually click the link because I'm tired and late for work so am just speaking in general. Also vaguely feel like someone should be countering your ranting in some way but everyone is just super apathetic on this forum lately, aren't they?

5 years ago
The Zulu were conquerors and like most cultures they practiced slavery and oppressed the weak. I mean it's great when people go 'hey let's not do that shit anymore, let's all just stop' but I've never understood why anyone is owed an apology or reparations for their ancestors being beat at their own game.

Should find the descendents of people murdered by Shaka and give everything to them next imho. (Except sometimes he killed their entire families too so that may be difficult...)

5 years ago
Anything to get free shit that doesn’t belong to you.

5 years ago

To be fair, the Zulus came to be who we know them as today in a relatively short time due to european influence. African wars were being fought mostly in traditional/sporty ways of combat because otherwise Tribal Warfare is a pretty brutal way to lose a lot of people all too easily. The European style of war reminded him and a lot of other people that, oh right, you can go to war to kill a fuckton of people and get a lot of land and laborers extremely quickly instead of doing a song and dance to settle minor border disputes! So they started using knives instead of feathered clubs and map-blobbed an Africa that would have little recollection of how to fight a full-scale total war.

5 years ago
Because I know how much everyone here lives to read and click on things, this seems like a decent but short summary of his life for anyone who has no idea what we're talking about: http://www.fsmitha.com/h3/h37-af6.htm

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know he had 7000 men butchered because he was sad about mommy. In light of that I would like to withdraw my 'fucking metal' remark, he was apparently just some kind of diaper flinging toddler after all.

5 years ago

White people still control a majority of wealth and tend to have it far easier in SA. Also, they refused to sell their land lol.

White genocide is when you have to give back things you stole :(((

5 years ago
Your mom is a judge, how often does she sentence people for things that happened before they were born?

Does she send the children of drug dealers to prison too and for how many generations?

5 years ago

Dude, if someone hands you stolen property, it's still stolen property. 

Way more than half of the land in SA is still owned by a tiny minority of the population lol

e: it's also not like the nineties are distant history lmao 

5 years ago
How far back do you go to find the original owners after confiscating a thing stolen from someone who stole it themselves?

Or is skin color the only thing that matters in this? One African is as good as another as long as they're not white?

5 years ago

skin color matters insofar as white people were the ruling class until very recently, with unfair economic power that was propped up by the government. 

non-white Africans were excluded from massive parts of the economy and now don't have the same generational wealth that white South Africans tend to have, because they're still benefiting from apartheid. it's unfortunate, but it's also the only way to prevent white people from continuing to be a de facto ruling class

5 years ago
Nah I'm pretty sure you're wrong, this is just your wimpy Canadianness
talking.

Shaka was pretty fucking metal, but a lot of 'Zulu identity' only exists because he forcibly united them and murdered dissenters.

5 years ago

It's pretty fucking dumb and disingenuous that you're equating Shaka Zulu with race laws that were in place until 1994, but I think you know that already

5 years ago
It's pretty fucking dumb that you read the post where I said I never even clicked the link and yet choose to argue with me anyway.

Imho.

5 years ago

stop saying stupid shit then lol 

5 years ago

lol

5 years ago
So you think people can own land? Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue horned moon? Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned?

5 years ago
Smh at all damn fools who've never sang with all the voices of the mountains...

5 years ago

No, it's genocide when you're getting killed and raped on a plot of land you colonized. And if we gave blacks back everything they stole from us then they'd be naked, living in huts made from mud and human feces... like parts of Africa before the Dutch showed up and taught them their language, gave them cattle and food, taught them how to build, etc.

Also, most of Africa used to be owned by WHITE European countries and the Roman Empire. They didn't steal the land... If my father took someones' house and my family lived there for many generations, did my great grand-children steal the house?

While I despise Trump, he's right about something: 
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-23/trump-wants-pompeo-to-study-killing-of-farmers/10158114

Look at some of these horrible pictures:
https://southafricatoday.net/media/hard-news/south-africa-2016-a-year-of-devastating-news-in-pictures/

5 years ago
IP is clean if anybody's wondering.

5 years ago

5 years ago
The start of something wonderful I can feel it.

5 years ago

i admire how you come right out and say it 

we need more of this brazenness

5 years ago

The Romans took a small strip of Northern Africa, they weren't romping around in the Sahara. 

They didn't steal the house but they're living in stolen property, therefore they should get out. 

5 years ago

that article is from a far-right news group affiliated with a white secessionist party 

5 years ago

The article in question doesn't say they refused to sell their land, it says they were willing but they wanted too much for it, the government only offering a tenth of their asking price.

And it seems unreasonably childish to say that it's "giving back things that you stole", because you and I both know that's not what's happening, and you're making an emotional argument. The people we're talking about did not steal this land, they inherited it. 

5 years ago
Malk...emotional? Never.

5 years ago

hey mizal, why is it that you spew retarded shit and then say "lol ur mad"?

5 years ago
That doesn't happen as often as you're implying, I think it's possible your perception might be skewed by the tumultuous feelings that heave in your breast.

5 years ago
This thread is fun.

5 years ago

what? i never tell people they're mad when i don't have a point. if you think that... you must be angry

5 years ago
I never said you were mad in the 'lol, mad' kind of way, that angle on this is entirely your doing. You framed my post as something it wasn't and turned this into an argument, and for no real reason.

(One might think it was because you are in fact, super mad, but not me, I don't like to make those kinds of assumptions.)

5 years ago

Sort of wondering why Malk jumped all over Mizal about something that had nothing to do with the subject while Steve directly challenged his weak emotional based argument and he didn’t say shit.

5 years ago
Steve got to argue with Ford earlier. Malk didn't need to give him any more nourishment.

5 years ago

Malk, how do you justify “giving back” land to people when neither those people nor their ancestors ever owned the land.

5 years ago

because you can't get rid of something as politically and economically damaging as apartheid without taking further steps to dismantle it. in 94, white people were still left as a ruling class, controlling a majority of wealth and property. when apartheid was removed, black people were granted equal status under the law, but were still by and large an underclass. 

this is ugly, but land seizure is probably necessary to combat apartheid's legacy. 

you can call me a cuck now. 

5 years ago

Nah, it’s not necessary. It’s really just a plain old revenge mindset, which is fine if that’s how the Africans want to get their giggles, though most of the time acting like a pack of violent savages doesn’t work out so great for them in the long run.

Personally, not sure why anyone white would WANT to live in fucking Africa.

In any case Malk you don’t really give a shit about the “African plight”, you’re just arguing because you got an unhealthy obsession with wanting to get ass pounded by giant black cock.

5 years ago

god, who gives a shit what you think. you have a fucking boner for being one of the good mexicans so badly you would probably build a thousand child concentration camps, if it meant one white kid with skinny wrists and tiny ears would call you one of the good ones on twitter, you george zimmerman ass motherfucker god damn 

5 years ago

Pretty sure its obvious I'd probably build a thousand child concentration camps for the shits and giggles. Getting praise (from any race) for it would just be a bonus.

Gotta love how Trayvon is held up now as some "victim" when the guy was a dumb ass thug that fucked with the wrong person that night.

5 years ago
OK everyone I know what this looks like but let me make it clear that Malk is NOT experiencing the emotion popularly referred to as 'being mad' right now.

5 years ago
Being white in lots of places is so lame now. It's a culture of cringing apology tours and self flagellation and being cucked. Only good for people who get off on the kind of thing. (i.e. Canadians)

Being black and Middle Eastern meanwhile still continues to suck, so the future is Latinos and Asians. AYT really won the genetic lottery there.

5 years ago
I mean Africa is going to be owned by China pretty soon, and they can't make it any worse. In fact I'm sure they're going to vastly improve it actually by putting lots of emphasis on workers' rights and not harming the environment and pfft haha I can't finish this sentence

5 years ago

While all of you become old and wrinkly, I will not age. I will become the Conqueror of Worlds. 

5 years ago

edit: nevermind

5 years ago

If you join the Discord like a man, maybe you would understand. For someone claiming to be experienced, you lack in making inferences based on context clues. 

5 years ago

What? My original reply was asking about your comment until I realized AYT was just your username.

5 years ago

Congratulations, you have a few brain cells. 

5 years ago

I deserved that.

5 years ago

This is more disgusting than foot lettuce:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/now-more-than-500-sick-from-outbreak-linked-to-mcdonalds-salads/ar-BBMm3Ro

I thought Buddhists were peaceful:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/08/24/buddhist-monk-beats-kills-child-9-during-prayer-session-authorities-say.html

Sorry that the stories have no actual correlation. Its just some crap I heard in the news.

5 years ago
Buddhists were genociding people in Myanmar almost exactly a year ago. Like most major religions, there's people who just give themselves that title because it's part of their culture and gives some kind of benefit, and then the smaller number of people for whom it's a genuine faith.

https://www.thenation.com/article/buddhists-in-myanmar-are-unifying-behind-a-deadly-nationalism/

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/24/641239849/i-would-rather-die-than-go-back-rohingya-refugees-settle-into-life-in-bangladesh

5 years ago

Buddhism is a peaceful ideology, but in the same way Christianity is. They don't actually do that.

5 years ago
Just like Islam, the religion of peace.

cue sitcom laugh

5 years ago

5 years ago

Okay so I'm sure everyone heard about John McCain dying, but here you go.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/25/politics/john-mccain-obituary/index.html

Someone shot up a football video game tournament. No info on if mass shootings are a sport now though.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/madden-19-jacksonville-shooting/index.html?adkey=bn

Oh and in further hilarity, Alex Jones  just got caught with tranny porn on his phone. Guess the Illuminati finally turned him gay the same way they did with the frogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7UMsftR_90

5 years ago
Someone replaced his phone with an identical duplicate that contained tranny porn.

The conspiracy is real.

5 years ago

Huh, I hadn’t heard McCain had died, but that’s nice. Jones is fucking hilarious, though, I’m delighted.

5 years ago

mccain getting posthumously dunked on and liberals getting mad is the funniest fucking thing, to me .

republicans are totally behind Trump, to an almost ridiculous degree. they don't fucking care about mccain lol. they wrote him off as a cuck like four months ago. they fucking think he's in hell lmao. 

but all these democrats are like he was so honorable such a great guy because of their fucking baffling need to find some common humanity with, what is at this point an american fascist party.  

democrats are a gang of toothless jackals lmao. they're gonna fucking lose and it's gonna be Immortan Trump 2032 baby 

5 years ago

democrats are a gang of toothless jackals lmao. they're gonna fucking lose and it's gonna be Immortan Trump 2032 baby

I sure hope so, though I question if Trump will even get a second term.

Then again didn’t expect him to win in the first place.

5 years ago
Trump is all flabby and lumpy. I'm holding out for a more chiseled fascist to get behind, and one who doesn't have a Twitter account.

But when Malk stops using capital letters and says lol and lmao a lot you always know the post is going to be a fun one.

5 years ago
@Chips Put in some paragraph breaks ffs, no one is going to read that

And you're actually wrong, civil arguments are the least interesting to read.

5 years ago

There some bloody paragraphs, And you mistake my point, any argument worth having has to be civil, doesn't make the more licentious ones any less amusing, rather on the contrary, those are the most enjoyable of them all, but in the end utterly useless.

5 years ago

Well I have to say, Watching the US elections on tape was the best entertainment had in a long time, and the Trump victory, and twitter bashing, glorious.

EDIT: On tape? fuck I'm old.

5 years ago
I particularly loved how the other decent politicians were dropped to the point where it was a final showdown between Trump and Hillary and even then they voted on the less experienced of the two.

I also love how he manages to practically undo all of the U.S.A diplomatic successes, reignite tensions in the middle east and be tricked into signing practically the same agreement of Iran with North Korea.

As a fellow brazillian memer, i think he's the most hilarious (there's a pun there somewhere) president i've seen since Dilma. After "stocking wind", "mosquitas", "We don't have a goal, but once we reach the goal we'll double it", i didn't think anyone could compare, but he managed it somehow.

5 years ago

I still have a Dilma Soundboard, It's too fucking good to delete

5 years ago
I don't know how it works in Brazil but in America, presidential elections now ultimately come down to being offered a choice between the two who have the most money. Nothing else matters in the end.

5 years ago

In Brazil, in short, It's a clusterfuck, anyone that's born in brazil and is over the age of 30 (I think) can become a candidate, and since the vote tally is individual and not district based, the pool is a clusterfuck as well, I think we have more political parties then  people, and it shows, so anyone reaches first turn, but if the voting is inconclusive, a second turn is made and then only the highest voted in the first turn get ahead.

One of the best things of a completely free candidacy It's the joke candidates, like Satan, Jesus, Stalin, and I do believe Trump is also running, Satan's one of the longest running candidates I think 20 years strong.

5 years ago

5 years ago

Already Seen that video, Good channel as well.

But It should've been retitled, how democracy ruined my country, since we were doing just fine in the military dictatorship, they even left power with a positive approval rating, and in 21 years they just abducted and killed a little less than 400 people, and most of them are unconfirmed, mostly because it's so hard to find a body here in Brazil, a true "peaceful" dictatorship if you ask me.

5 years ago
I hope you and Zas stick around, you guys are great.

5 years ago
The racist anti-Brazilian COGites would undoubtedly have banned you by now, but here on CYS we love freedom and killed democracy a long time ago.

5 years ago

This would be funny If I wasn't banned from the COG forums long ago, who knew that a joke about incest, then another about CP, then another about trans, would be so offensive?

5 years ago

Prager U is far from a good channel in every way. They've had the message "The US is the only country where "If you don't succeed, try again" is a thing, an entire thing about how modern art is stupid and bad, they bitched constantly about girls being allowed into the boy scouts for "reasons", and included the notorious liar Nigel Farrage on their channel after he betrayed his country and lied to shit.

5 years ago
While i think socialism and Marx had great intentions at the beginning, the truth is that the welfare has to follow the country's economical situation. When PT (Worker's Party) decided to flood the country with welfare policies (Child Benefit, My Home my Life, to mention a few) they disregarded the state's budget.

But they (PT) only really cared about welfare policies to get votes from the extremely poor population who needs them. You can see that their supporters are from the poor class when you take a close look at one of their rallies. It was also really sad to see them being "paid" with mortadella sandwiches and some money for participating in these rallies.

Bolsonaro, however, is giving me too much Trump vibes. And if the man himself is to serve as example...

5 years ago

I think the best solution for the current welfare crisis that we're having, is a simple solution that is a pain to implement, UBI, universal basic income, you take away all those privileges like SUS, child benefits, and the rest, and institute a basic "salary", that is the same for everyone in Brazil, that way you encourage people to leave the mediocre situation that afflicts most of the poor populace, since you don't loose your paycheck if you move up in life.

As for Bolsonaro, Yeah definitive Trump vibes there, but for all intents and purposes, that may not be a bad thing, at the very least it'll be amusing.

And Zass, how quaint that the two Brazilians here are SW old republic fans eh?

5 years ago
I did not know about UBI, but you might be underestimating the scale of such a project in regards to the brazillian economical situation.

Let's consider, for instance, a UBI of R$900,00:

Circa 200 million people x 900 would cost 180 billion, monthly.

If we take into consideration the yearly balance of 2017, with US$ 67 billion (that's assuming a repeat) and convert it into R$, it would be something like a superavit of R$279 billion last year.

UBI would cost trillions per year, even if wee free some much needed money by getting rid of the welfare you mentioned, we might still not have enough money for this.

Of course, that's for this said value, but i suspect what you're suggesting is much lower. Could you explain your theory in more detail? I'm pretty intrigued by the concept.

In regards to Bolsonaro, i think Trump has been really detrimental to the USA economical and diplomatical situation. He's pretty much isolating his country gradually and picking fights unnecessarily.

And yeah, pretty weird that there aren't more brazillians here. I suspect this might be because not many of us has a reading habit and like interactive fiction (or even know that it exists).

EDIT: I realized the conversion from US$ to R$ seems a little off, but i did so through the first program i could find (i'm lazy, sorry). But the ending conclusion would still be the same.

5 years ago
We actually checked to see if you were both the same person at first when two Brazilian Star Wars fans popped up in the same thread arguing with Steve, lol. But if either of you have friends into reading nerd stuff or writing then be sure to give them a link.

I've seen arguments for UBI, and it's true even something as basic even as $2500 a year would be a huge help for people living paycheck to paycheck. Lots of people right now look forward to their tax returns every year because it's the only time they get a decent chunk of 'free' money to go towards needed things that might cost more than they can reasonably scrape up month to month.

My view on that though is that it will help some people a whole lot but do little to cut down on the number of people locked into true poverty. For them it'll be the same situation as with welfare--it doesn't do much good to just hand money to people who have already proved they're shitty at managing it or taking care of themselves. Same reason you don't give money to the homeless.

It'd be more practical to build more places with subsidized rent or give out cards that can be used specifically to help with utilities, at gas pumps etc. These things will all improve lives and remove pressure from the poor massively in ways that, like food assistance programs, are at least a little more difficult to convert into drug money etc.

e: All though I'd be completely supportive of the idea of a nationwide program to straight up hand out hundred dollar bills, no strings attached just in exchange for people taking a few classes on basic living skills, hygiene and nutrition. It's incredible how ignorant some people are about the most basic fucking shit, and I'm not even limiting this to the usual populations of absolute trash.

5 years ago

Well first off, Yes that project is gargantuan endeavour that shouldn't be taken lightly, and our current PIB/GDP is over 1.7 trillion USD, and such action would surely be massively expensive to implement, but our economy would be able to support itself quite nicely especially with a higher cash flow than before, but no it wouldn't be 900 BRL to every single people, much like "bolsa familia" there would be minimum standards towards delivering said benefit, as being 18 years or older, and not currently in jail, that narrows it down from 200+ million to under 100, the age restriction is to prevent people from breeding like rabbits to get more benefits.

But the project isn't to give people a way of living of it as much as it's to give them a fighting chance in life, as for the practicality of actual money versus vouchers, well we already do that over here, and people still mismanage it and use their money to buy superfluous things, that sadly is something out of the reach of most govs, about the idea for classes about financial security is a nice idea, especially if it works, but even better would be to include them into the basic curriculum of the schools and make it a requirement to apply for the UBI basic education.

Now for the money equation, giving the current PIB of Brazil, if we take the average tax (which I think it's lower than the actual value) and remove 20% of our PIB and place it as our public budget, and then take 40% of the public budget and place it on the UBI it would mean that monthly any citizen on the economically active zone 18-70 would receive almost 500 BRL per month, making for a great start, way better than the current "Bolsa Familia".

I do recommend the video hyperlinked on the  UBI in the previous post, it's quite good, and that channel is great.

And Unlike my previous assertiveness about the judicial system, this method of WellCare is completely theorical, so the details of economic and societal impacts are just that, theorical, and I'm not an economist, just a CDF Engie with fascist tendencies, but even so I do believe it would be better than the current broken system.

EDIT: About Trump, Diplomatically yeah he's tearing down everything, but the economy is doing well in the US, you can see it when the bloody USD is 4+ BRL, but even so, I don't find a great president, and it's hard to think that Bolsonaro will be diferent, but I do know his VP General Mourão, He's a good man and a competent general, about the good man part that's at least what my parents told me about him, so at least he has that going for him.

5 years ago

In regards to Bolsonaro, i think Trump has been really detrimental to the USA economical situation.

That's objectively untrue. The US economy is booming and one of the few things keeping his support afloat among some moderates.

i think Trump has been really detrimental to the USA economical and diplomatical situation. He's pretty much isolating his country gradually and picking fights unnecessarily.

Trump realizes that our supposed allies are taking advantage of us, and so he's putting an end to that. Being nice isn't the same thing as being diplomatic.

5 years ago

That's objectively untrue. The US economy is booming and one of the few things keeping his support afloat among some moderates.

I have been led to believe that Trump's policies are taking an increasingly isolationist tone, and that China would eventually surpass the american economy due to it. Could you explain your thoughts on the american economical situation on more detail?

Trump realizes that our supposed allies are taking advantage of us, and so he's putting an end to that. Being nice isn't the same thing as being diplomatic.

At the time i wrote this i was thinking about moving the embassy on Israel. But what puzzles me more are his speeches.

I can understand that his words reflect his policies well, and honesty with a public servant is pretty rare, but perhaps he could mince words and close himself more? When i look for one of his speeches and his interactions with foreign governments, it looks to me like he is branded as incompetent or stupid by foreign governments, who see him and to a extent USA as unreliable in trade and further diplomatic efforts.

I also understand that being diplomatic and nice are two different things, but i believe deception has become somewhat necessary on international politics, to the extent where you need to be nice even if you're looking forward to an aggressive move.

But i'm no american and what knowledge of your country's current position i can get are through news sites (many of them with a bias and with liberal tendencies, sadly), so i'd like to hear your position on what is happening to America right now on more detail. It would also be nice if you or anyone could point me to an unbiased news site, as i've been looking for those for quite a bit of time.

5 years ago
All the news people really really fucking hate him, except for the one channel that really really loves him, so basically it's not possible to get unbiased anything about Trump or anything he is or isn't doing anywhere.

Literally everything is politicized now with the media pushing one agenda or another, not just talk about the government. Objective journalism is a thing of the past, they choose their wording to push their views or report or don't report certain things (the stuff they downplay or don't bring up at all says a lot more than what they do want to talk about...) so you just basically have to follow the news for pure entertainment or don't bother at all.

Maybe in twenty or thirty years or after a soft reset of civilization people can start figuring out what the fuck happened to society today and what was actually going on behind the scenes with the benefit of hindsight. (They'll probably blame the internet.)

5 years ago
I certainly do.

5 years ago
You could always hope that by watching all of them the biases cancel out to a degree.

5 years ago
Now that i see the video again, his face really reminds me of John Travolta, for some reason.

5 years ago
You celebrate an old man's slow death because of what you view as his 'crimes, and condemn others for having the common decency or at least basic politeness to not do the same. And yet, you would have supported literal, actual Nazis who would've gassed you and your entire family being released after two years of house arrest and some therapy.

I hope you didn't learn this kind of hypocrisy from your mom for obvious reasons. Probably just as well Canada's got soft laws for pussy soyboys or I can easily imagine her finding excuses to execute people for their politics.

5 years ago

Okay dude. You can get mad about my pretend opinions that you made until the cows come home, if that's what you want. lmao

5 years ago
For those keeping tally at home, Steve has made reference to 'emotion' 10 times in this thread alone as a way to try and shut down anyone he disagrees with while maintaining a position of smug superiority.

A more subtle version of 'u mad bro' perhaps but the intent is the same. Anyway, watch this space, anyone who knows Steve knows he likes to use the same arguments and insults with almost the exact same wording constantly (possibly in part because his memory is just gone).

5 years ago

Interesting how when it's Malk, it's true, but when it's the Brazillian who is mad at criminals and talks about nothing about how bad shit is because of them rather than actual solutions or you bringing up a story specifically to get emotions running somehow becomes false.

5 years ago
Weird, before I zoomed in and noticed the avatar I assumed this was that Brazilian newbie because this sentence was really hard to follow and I didn't think it could possibly be by a native speaker.

And I never said anything about Malk's argument being emotional, I made a joke about Malk being emotional. Like, in general. And I didn't do it ten times in a row. He was right not to bother responding to your baiting though.

5 years ago

So... yeah, you joked about Malk being emotional, at the time when he was arguing. Don't make me walk you to the goal here, Miz.

5 years ago
You're being deliberately obtuse now. Your pretend idiocy could only be believable to people you haven't been literally in the same IRC and Discord with for years now. You're trying to make me drag out examples on a public forum to 'prove' Malk is emotional in a way that explains why the joke was made in the general sense when you are fucking well acquainted with the reason for it and could also just ask him. If I wanted to apply the 'lol, so mad' tactic to his actual argument I would've replied to him and not dropped a three word joke in response to the opening you gave.

5 years ago

No, I'm not looking for examples, you're just misunderstanding and assuming that your stupid view of the situation is accurate. I'm pointing out that when the emotional label was applied to Malk, you thought it was worth joking about, but when it was, if anything more accurately, applied to the other two arguments, it became dismissible because you didn't agree with it.

5 years ago

This news is mostly to talk about the new arms race that's happening, Russia putting some heavy funds towards re-arming their country, and fuck they got the advantage when it comes to defensive weapons, after all look at that old, outdated thing that is the patriot defense system.

5 years ago
Meanwhile, Putin is still fapping to the annexation of Crimea.

5 years ago

Can you Blame him?

5 years ago
Now we know he annexed Crimea for the oppressed russian girls. Silly western people, denying the Motherland their rightful females.

5 years ago
@Digit Don't think I don't see that and don't think I won't ban you.

5 years ago
why u bully me???

Massachusetts fires

5 years ago
Not exactly breaking news anymore aside from the investigation into just how fucked the gas company is, but I've been reading up on those explosions in those Massachusetts towns last week. Anyone beside Corgi from around there? Seems like it effected a pretty large area, I'm actually pretty amazed only one person died.

Also it's just a little bizarre that dozens of houses exploded and the only death was from someone not even in a house.

5 years ago

Can't be bothered to dig up the gun thread (Pretty sure we had one) when I can easily remember this one instead.

Anyway, another round of play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Probably shouldn't look at this at work/school (It's not porn though, unless you count the fat dude with his shirt off)

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/9hlz25/man_shot_and_killed_by_fatherson_duo_in_abilene/

5 years ago
*Fat dudes with their shirts off.

5 years ago

Welp, not the best thing to watch before breakfast.

Sorry if I turn it into a gun-control post, but I didn't have a shot (hnngh) at this in the other thread.

It's probably due to the cultural difference, but my neighbors being able to hold guns in a property dispute seems like the premise for a dystopian movie to me (or a tacky pulp action). I know that most gun owners are not going to shoot people yadda yadda yadda, but life's fragile enough; why make it easier for two idiotic fat neighbors to cut it short for you?

And yes, the victim there was A-level stupid to start threatening two armed men even after they warned him. Yes, his wife and brother should have talked him out of that instead of recording and giving him a bat. But "play stupid games win stupid prizes" was last used in here to comment on vegan bikers who intentionally went in the middle of ISIS territory. It's weird when that ends up being comparable to an argument between American neighbors.

5 years ago
Lol it's Abilene, it basically already is a dystopia.

I didn't watch the video because I didn't care to but nothing I've read on it indicated anyone thought to call the police before the guy was shot. Phone in hand and everything but only to film for the internet of course. Everyone involved was trash, fighting over literal garbage, but 'deliberately escalating a situation when weapons are involved and pointed at you / someone you care about' is such a failure of the basic instinct for survival. Stupid prizes can be won anywhere, they're not just for people rich enough to quit their jobs and travel.

5 years ago

I didn't even notice that not one of them thought of calling the police, I guess that accounts for a medal on top of the stupid prize. I expressed myself badly in the previous post; I agree to the whole "play stupid games win stupid prizes" for these people, the thing that stood out to me was how easy it was for some random neighbors to have both a gun and a shotgun and use them on another idiot. But again, maybe it's just because that's a particularly bad area and I know nothing of the place.

5 years ago
I have a shotgun and a .22 pistol and only in the last week (after I quit) did I stop taking a .380 to work in my purse every day. These are just the guns I own personally of course, I have access to about eight more counting my dads' and those of my grandpa's he's hanging onto. Lots of people own guns without being idiots.

A couple of my grandpa's guns are over eighty years old in fact and he never shot anyone either outside of WWII and Korea.

I wish they did invent some kind of idiot screening test, but even wanting stricter screening for mental illness gets people up in arms (pun unintentional) because no one can agree on what even counts as mental illness half the time and in the other half it's discriminatory because boohoo people with depression or Aspergers deserve rights too. (lol they really don't.)

5 years ago

This video embodies America perfectly. Absolutely perfectly. Two groups of retards fighting and dying over a mattress in an alleyway...

5 years ago

Nah, don't generalize just because it's easier. This video shows some of the problems your country has, but it embodies America just as much as it embodies humanity as a whole, two ants fighting or your poor life choices.

5 years ago
Yep, all 325 million people from vastly different cultures and backgrounds spread out over 10 million square kilometers are exactly the same! How shrewd of you to notice. :)

5 years ago
Not to mention only one retard from one of the groups of retards died.

5 years ago

Little bit of old news but whatever. Humanity loses more information of its past due to information entropy despite active preservation,

basically a museum burned down.

The museum's entire Egypt section pretty much burned down. This includes the 5 mummified corpses they had stored there. Many other artefacts were burned away. It is the oldest museum in the country and now its gone along with around 90% of the artefacts it was stored in. They also had no digital backups of the artefacts and the information pertaining to it (don't really know why they didn't tbh, seems like in this day and age having backups is a requirement to get anything done).

Egypt is slightly pissed at this loss of its own cultural heritage and the Egypt Consulate in Brazil has been sent to see exactly what the damage to these artefacts are. Anyway, chances are that now if you want to know more about the Egyptian artefacts collected by Brazilian Emperor Pedro I, your gonna have to ask the Egyptologists who saw and studied them before the museum burned down. Lets hope this is last of humanities past that has to be lost to time immemorial :)

5 years ago

Apparently most Americans will be getting a text message from Trump today around 2:18 EST.

http://time.com/5400574/presidential-alert-donald-trump-fema/

You can't block him either. Mizal is personally hoping he'll send dick pics to everyone.

What a glorious time to be alive.

5 years ago
Something new for people to cry about.

5 years ago
Good God can you just imagine how fucking angry this is going to make a bunch of people lol.

And just wait till the follow up series of drunk texts arrive in the middle of the night.

5 years ago

5 years ago
Well that was super lame.

5 years ago
FEMA doesn’t care about me.

5 years ago
The presidential dick pic, I mean. It was very underwhelming.

What did you guys get?

5 years ago
I didn’t even get coal.

5 years ago
I think I'm immune since I don't own a cell phone.

5 years ago

Yes. Arrived on time and only once.

5 years ago

I thought the mushroom comparison meant the shape, not the red spots

Real World Problems

5 years ago
Farking Goblins!

Butt Hungry Goblins

Real World Problems

5 years ago
Lol, it said they were going to hire a witch hunter...I wonder how you get into the "witch hunter" business to begin with.

Real World Problems

5 years ago

Much needed levity....for me...apparently not the people involved.

5 years ago

I mean, this is awful news and reminds us that America's reached it's peak and is going to quickly crumple and rot, but it's bringing us back to early Obama times at worst, and even then, it's not like these gender discrimination helped trans people, those were the gender orientation laws, which aren't going to be affected. As far as legal precedent goes this is bad, but it's not the end of the world and we can get through it in a few years.

5 years ago
Is the Dept of Health and Human Services full of Trump's buddies or are people just being outraged at Trump over this because that's the trendy thing to do?

5 years ago

Well the person spear heading this is the head of the department, Roger Severino, and he was appointed by Trump, when the dude's written an article about how same-sex marriage is an attack on religious freedom, so I think Trump's taking the blame for appointing this scumfuck.

5 years ago

Sounds like a great guy.

5 years ago

Oh, you're to hating gay marriage now? Nice one, good to know you've drifted over there.

5 years ago

I’ve always hated gay marriage. I even spent a thread debating you about it.

5 years ago

You always go back and forth where the wind blows, as we both know, let's not bullshit.

5 years ago

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

5 years ago

He tried that with the military already, and it got overturned by activist judges. This will never happen; America is fucked.

5 years ago

From what i gather, this legislation takes away gender identity from sex and only affects cases where gender discrimination is treated as discrimination against the opposite sex and such.

Overall, i think they could separate gender identity and sex alright. From a biological perspective, there are two sexes (not going into non-binary and other controversial stuff) so yeah, it makes sense on a census to not have people dodging the question by saying they identify as an attack helicopter or something.

I think this could be improved by putting the gender identity as a separate parameter and judge discrimination in accordance with whatever social justice laws you have, if there's any. It's the best course of action to avoid confusion in the judiciary in regards to that.

5 years ago

Is this supposed to be a bad thing?

5 years ago

This bit might be of interest too since Nazis are another favorite topic around here.

5 years ago

Interesting piece, in the end the party that came out of the election the better were the Green though. There's also a fun film (and book, but I haven't read it) on the same subject, Look who's back (2015).

Populism in Europe is getting louder, but it's no surprise. Aside from contextual causes, there's the general cycle of "war-peace-distension-open frontiers-cultural mix-want of national identity-populism-closure-tension-war."

Here in Italy we have two populist parties at the head of the government (sigh) but our overweight legal system and bureaucracy prevent them from doing too much damage for now. The Neo-Fascists have luckily been limited to very low percentages in the elections, but have been reinvigorated in their propaganda by the fact that one of the two populist parties in charge is right-wing.

5 years ago

How is there a cycle of that in any way?

5 years ago

Yeah, should have probably worded that better. I mean that after a war (or dictatorship) in a country there can be a period of peace by the end of which people can't remember or bring themselves to care about how terrible war/dictatorship is. And so extreme views are given more and more freedom to expand.

Ok I fucked up and I should probably stop trying to generalize this process.

5 years ago
Yes indeed you did fuck up by replying to Steve.

5 years ago

Nah, Steve's ok as long as one doesn't purposefully start a fight. I was already done by the fact that he replied to me, might as well try to save my ass.

5 years ago

I don't necessarily know if that's true. WW2 followed WW1 while everyone involved could still remember the previous war and it's unprecedented brutality.

5 years ago
Now they got all these Muslims around I bet they wish they hadn't already blown their load over the Jews.

If only someone somewhere could ever figure out some middle ground between 'I like our national identity' and 'I heart Hitler' themed restaurants...

5 years ago

Bombs sent to the Clintons, Obama, CNN and others. A lot of right wingers basically calling it a political stunt by the left. (FAKE BOMBS) People getting increasingly pissed off on all sides.

It's a great time for strife and chaos!

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/suspicious-packages-pipe-bomb-clinton-obama-cnn-nyc-wasserman-schultz-office-live-updates/

5 years ago
Oh no, not Robert De Niro!

If it's not FAKE NEWS they probably should be able to find whoever sent a bunch of obviously suspicious packages full of crappy and ineffective bombs though. I don't get how whoever they mailed them through didn't notice the pipe-shaped bombs either, everyone scans those things.

They didn't even go off, I don't get how this is news. Google has never shoved real news down my throat in this manner before so that's one more point in the FAKE column as a matter of fact.

5 years ago
Fake bombs?

5 years ago
You forgot to use Caps Lock.

5 years ago

If this is true and not our usual propaganda machine acting, then i guess there are mad nazis on Trump's great sinister plan. 

I mean, come on. Everyone got out intact, the bombs somehow couldn't be sent on a more innefective method (Welp, let's send this weapon through the mail. Gotta pray It doesn't trigger before It gets there or people find it lol) and it is being used as a weapon against the right wing in media, quite conveniently.

I'll try to keep my expectations low and hope the investigations clear it out, but hell does it look suspicious.

5 years ago

What, you legitimately believe that the entire media might just be bullshitting and making this up, because there was an ineffective assassination attempt? Are all politically motivated attacks that don't have a body count suspicious to you, you fucking lowlife retard?

5 years ago

What, you legitimately believe that the entire media might just be bullshitting and making this up, because there was an ineffective assassination attempt?

No, i believe this could have been planned by the "victim", which explains the things i pointed out. Again, doesn't mean the bombs are fake, just that the "attack" was carried on another purpose.

Are all politically motivated attacks that don't have a body count suspicious to you, you fucking lowlife retard?

When everyone gets out miraculously well, the bombs are sent on a ridiculously ineffective way and the victim starts using said attack for propaganda and attacks on their opposition? It's not just one or two things, but three at the same time.

i guess this isn't the least bit suspicious and, indeed, it could have only been carried out by the demons the right wing is lol

5 years ago

"If this is true and not our usual propaganda machine acting" means you think there's a possibility it's the work of the media making up shit, retard.

Ridiculously ineffective way? How the fuck do you think a bomber should get the small bombs they're incapable of making to their target? What better solution is there here?

Yes, the people who were almost bombed are attacking the violent people who attacked them, presumably on the right. This is suspicious because...?

Hang on, so you think that the bomber was terrible at his job because he was super ineffective in how he did it, so that's suspicious... but you also think it's suspicious that no one was hurt? Which is it? Was the bomber a shitty bomber, and thus it's quite likely no one would get hurt, or was it suspicious that no one got hurt because it was a reasonable bombing attempt?

It's clear the only person scratching to turn this into propaganda is you, and other retards like your kind. You try to twist the situation into being some big conspiracy theory. You can't have it be suspicious that a bomber was terrible at his job, but it also be suspicious that the bomber didn't succeed. Pick one, retard.

5 years ago
Also the world is flat, the moon landing is a hoax, and the WTC buildings were brought down by tons of secretly stashed explosives even though the second tower hit was the first to fall (disregard the obvious additional torque caused by the angle lean of the top part after impact that the North tower was not subject to).

5 years ago

Hey, I think the Cave Man dude is on my side. Sweet.

5 years ago

Omfg I’m famous for The Ghost People

/ shameless plug.

Edit- Not famous for working hyperlink.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-ghost-people

5 years ago

Still annoyed you went with the dream ending. Hack move, kid, hack move.

5 years ago

True, but the ending is more subtle than it appears. It is a classic example of the misinformation effect/retroactive interference. The protagonist sees a wooden statue at the science television event after waking, and mistakenly imprints the image upon his dream. He then erroneously believes that somehow he was able to see into the past during his dream, that somehow he is psychic.

Strange that no one picked up the true meaning. You see, the story was a commentary on the imperfection of human memory, especially when it comes to dream recall and post-awakening interference and distortion of dream memories.

That or this comment is complete bullshit.

5 years ago

I'm assuming the comment is clearly bullshit, yeah. I mean, if that was your intention, you really fucked up your story.

5 years ago
Plot Twist: Protagonist was an idiot the whole time!

5 years ago
Well he was dumb enough to trek alone through an Ice Age wilderness in search of an entire tribe of homicidal Homo sapiens who had far better technology, and he believed by eating the eye balls of the previous witch you’d inherit their magical abolities, so...

5 years ago

"If this is true and not our usual propaganda machine acting" means you think there's a possibility it's the work of the media making up shit, retard.

Or maybe you're purposefully taking the meaning of the phrase this way, instead of taking it as the joke it is supposed to be, retard.

Ridiculously ineffective way? How the fuck do you think a bomber should get the small bombs they're incapable of making to their target? What better solution is there here?

Infiltration, installation in a structure or vehicle, simply walking there and exploding yourself... There are several more effective ways sick people can kill.

If you believe there is no better way than sending bombs through mail, then you're more than a little naive.

Yes, the people who were almost bombed are attacking the violent people who attacked them, presumably on the right. This is suspicious because...?

Presumably on the right...

First, this is an accusation they can't back up.

Second, this isn't the first time people staged extremist attacks as a means to convince stupid people to give power to them. See Vargas paranoia with communists and the way he used them as justification, as well as the military dictatorship.

Hang on, so you think that the bomber was terrible at his job because he was super ineffective in how he did it, so that's suspicious... but you also think it's suspicious that no one was hurt? Which is it? Was the bomber a shitty bomber, and thus it's quite likely no one would get hurt, or was it suspicious that no one got hurt because it was a reasonable bombing attempt?

The combination of the three things is suspicious. The bomber sent a bomb through an ineffective method, quite obviously having the explosives catched by the FBI, all the "victims" got out unscathed and the whole deal is being used as political tool against the right.

You quite simply want your political side winning, so of course you're defending them. The thing is that the possibility this is a planned move is still out there.

It's clear the only person scratching to turn this into propaganda is you, and other retards like your kind. You try to twist the situation into being some big conspiracy theory. You can't have it be suspicious that a bomber was terrible at his job, but it also be suspicious that the bomber didn't succeed. Pick one, retard.

"I don't have an argument here, so i'll call your tinfoil hat-wearer and try to discredit your opinion with a bunch of insults."

- Steve, 2018

FFS Steve, did you ever consider that the bomber deliberately sent the explosives through packages as to have the FBI catch them? No? Well, i guess you really have nothing to say.

Good luck with your strawman arguments, dude. I have better things to do.

5 years ago

So you opened it by saying "Either the media's lying or there's some crazy violent right wing dude" and the proceeded to argue that there might not be a crazy right wing dude, but you're not saying the media's lying? That's not a joke, that's you saying stupid shit and pretending it was a joke when you're corrected, or else you genuinely don't know how to use language.

Well suicide bombings out, he has multiple targets, and he's probably not an elite spy, so he's not going to be able to infiltrate past security to be able to plant it on property. See how quickly you run out of options? It's pretty hard for random psychos to sneak into secure locations, retard. So yeah, this was clearly the best way and you don't have another one. Next.

OK, the critics can't prove their accusation that it's definitely a right wing. So? 

So, do you think that if this was a genuine bombing, the victims would or wouldn't use this as political fuel? If no, that's stupid, of course they would. If so, then it's not suspicious, because they're doing what they would in either situation.

Hell, why do their reactions matter? Unless they were in league with the bomber, they don't know it was a fake attack, and they're doing what they would either way.

Why is it suspicious that someone who is bad at bombing couldn't kill anyone?

So really, in total, we have 1. Leftists are using an attack against Leftists are fuel, something they'd do if it was a real attack. Not suspicious. 2. A bomber was not capable of sneaking into multiple very secure locations to plant bombs. Not suspicious. 3. A bomber didn't kill anyone. Not suspicious, failed bombings happen all the time.

Zass clearly doesn't know which way he wants to take this, because he's not looking at facts, he's arguing his point. He doesn't know whether the bomber was shit and thus shouldn't have killed people, or he was good at his job and should've. 

5 years ago
I think they're doing a press conference at 2:30 P.M. eastern time, so I assume there will be some answers then.

I guess it's plausible that he could be some lunatic from the far left that thought his plan would drum up support for the democrats heading into the election somehow. Although, I don't see how that's a logical first conclusion.

Regardless, definitely a lunatic.

5 years ago

Sure, it's possible, but the idea that anything about this was suspicious in any way is ridiculous, and it's very unlikely.

5 years ago
They made an arrest this morning, but I haven’t seen a name released yet.

5 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation Firefox but no fucking shit???

5 years ago
First clue should have been that it was vox.

5 years ago

I guess better late than never.

5 years ago

What, overall, or separate to its benefits? Because overall the media's far, far better than none, but yeah, it definitely leads to sensationalizing, people digging in with their side and of course giving huge amounts of screen time to people like Trump because it gets ratings.

5 years ago
I'm surprised neither End nor Mizal have posted anything about the possibly 7,000 strong caravan marching on the southern border.

That's a small army! I'm kind of surprised they managed the logistics such that they aren't all dying of attrition along the way.

5 years ago

Ah yes, the almighty caravan of ISIS fighters nears. I'm not really sure why it's supposed to be scary in any way, really. I mean, even if you despise immigrants, isn't 7000 a tiny amount compared to overall annual immigration?

5 years ago
I have a small army in my home right now plus I'm trying desperately to find time to finish my contest story, one problem at a time jeez!

Anyway they stop like fifty thousand people at the border in a single month, and those are just the ones they're aware of. I'm not sure why 7000 matter. Although I don't understand why we can't just bus them all to to Hilary's house and let her look after them, she loves poor people and brown people and immigrants and these are all three!

Agreed it is impressive just from a logistical standpoint though.

5 years ago
I don’t think Hillary loves anything. And that includes puppies and kittens.

5 years ago

It's a caravan train for the Crimson Caravan Company, they're trying to establish a trade route through Mexico.

5 years ago

How can they die from attrition when Soros & Co. are looking after them?

5 years ago

What? They caught the bomber already? Oh come on! The Unabomber eluded the authorities for 20 fucking years before they caught him!

Then again this fucktard was riding around in a "I love Trump van" making it pretty easy to pick him out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/us/cesar-sayoc-bombing-suspect-arrested.html

5 years ago

Guess i was wrong. It was just a really stupid lunatic.

5 years ago

Yes, you were wrong. Steve was right. Let's all enjoy this regular moment occurring once again.

5 years ago

As annoying as you are, i guess i can't complain that you're relieved you're right for a change.

5 years ago

Trump should drop a hot track similar to Eminem's Stan.

5 years ago

Okay, people. Bolsonaro won, which is probably the equivalent of Trump to brazillian liberals.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46013408

Too lazy to post more news sites, but i know they repreat the same things:

Bolsonaro is homophobic, misogynist, racist, taxist, marxist, narcisist, rapist, xavist...

Bolsonaro won with a divisive campaign, bla bla bla, the brazillian people were misled by propaganda and can't make choices.

Citation of a bunch of his policies with the most negative, biased tone they can set.

5 years ago

Yeah I just checked this out a bit, some Brazilian CoGites were going on about how fascism has won in their country and freedom has died with applause.

5 years ago

Indeed, freedom for those fuckers who benefitted from PT's retarded welfare policy. Some (or many) of which shouldn't even be receiving those benefits, all while we suffer with bad healthcare, security and education.

5 years ago
@Zassuen so tell my more about this guy, I keep getting a bunch of articles advertised at me that would appear to be just shitting all over him, but I don't want to click them because then it's like 'oh you liked that? here have a dozen more!'

It's gotten so difficult to just find a source of facts somewhere, (let's call it 'news') instead of articles with clickbait titles written in this overly emotional biased language by some angry toddler who didn't get their nap that day.

5 years ago

He's a hard right wing candidate with major support of the youths. Of the candidates, he seemed to be by far the least corrupt, and in Brazil there's fucking ridiculously lax policies on crime, like minimum sentences of 25 years no matter what you do or tiny penalties if you commit any crime underage. Bolsonaro is against these and wants a harsh stand against crime including the use of torture and harsher sentences, and in an election where corruption is rife and there's a major problem, people want a solution that they see in Bolsonaro. 

Unfortunately, the dude's openly racist and homophobic, and he openly harkens back to the days of the military dictatorship and has said he supports dictatorship, which many people agree with, as despite how brutal it was for some people, there was order and far less crime. In an election with few options, people saw him as a radical move, but one that would change their situation.

5 years ago

It is almost as Steve said, albeit with some misconceptions.

Bolsonaro's talk about gays is derived from a somewhat conservative/religious part of brazillian culture. It's not actually about persecuting gays or something, but about how he wouldn't like if his son was homossexual or whatever LGBTQE gender. I honestly can't say much about it because it's a mystery even to me.

I do know, however, that people with this kind of rethoric do say oftentimes that they have nothing against gays. And most do tend to accept their children sexual orientation after a while.

Second, he's supposed to be racist, but his father-in-law (i think that's the word in english) is afrodescendent and they have good relations with each other. Similarly, another politician, Hélio Negão, who's ethnic as well, declared support for Bolsonaro and both have good relations as well.

As for his dictatorship love, it's not uncommon in Brazil. While it's something i don't agree with, many people considered that regime better than the disregulated mess we have now. He did, however, swear to abide and act by the constitution in his speech to Globo's Jornal Nacional (National News), saying that he would govern by and for democracy. He also wouldn't get anywhere trying to bring back a dictatorship, not with both the people and other powers to stop him.

Finally, i leave to you to think whatever you want about him. I do know however that his proposed budget cuts and reforms are much needed. And that some guns would come in handy next time some retard comes to get my money on the bus.

Oh, and he was certainly better than the other candidates. Between a bunch of suspicious and/or innefective people, a candidate that obeys and seeks advice from a prisoner, an open supporter of communism and Bolsonaro. I'd pick Bolsonaro any day.

5 years ago

On the gay things:

“I would be incapable of loving a homosexual son. I’m not going to be a hypocrite: I’d rather my son died in an accident than showed up with some bloke with a moustache.”

“If I see two men kissing each other in the street, I’ll whack them.”

Those are both having something against gays. One's about committing assault against someone for being gay. I don't know what misconception there is you're pointing out. All you added is "Yeah, he's homophobic because he's conservative and religious". Yeah, thanks. That doesn't change anything I said.

On the race thing, he said his children were too well raised to date blacks. That's racist. Having a black step-father doesn't change that, and neither does a black guy liking him. That's the "I have black friends argument". It's like saying that sexism doesn't exist, because everyone has a mother.

Anyhow, yeah, the dude's said several times that the only solution and way to change the country is dictatorship, so he might just be lying about following the democracy to take power, as any autocratic leader would do.

So yeah, racist, homophobic and pro-dictatorship, no misconceptions there.

5 years ago

I literally just explained how his speech against gays was more emotional and traditional than anything. And how i've seen people with this kind of rethoric change their views with time. Dislike and traditional aversion doesn't equate intolerance or violence.

On the race aspect, good try dodging a point. He said he wouldn't like his children to date black women. But he also has both ethnic friends and parents with which he has good relations with. How is he racist and have good relations with them? I guess he isn't that intolerant.

Trying to compare with sexism is stupid because sexual and racial discrimination are different things, as well as "mother" being a really poor analogy for friend AND father-in-law whom he doesn't discriminate. A mother is a mother, but the sexist may still envision her as inferior and even use her position as an argument, whereas he doesn't hate his friend and father-in-law, showing in their relation and mutual support.

Your final argument goes both ways. He could be lying about his support for democracy or he could be lying about his support for dictatorship. He could also be just another nostalgic dude who envision the military regime as an ideal of order and peace.

5 years ago

Threats of violence to equate to threats of violence, and that rhetoric literally is intolerance. The fact that he could change from those beliefs are irrelevant, because there's suicide bombers who became religious moderates.

How do you think racism works? You can be racist and know black people that you're friends with. In the Louis Theroux documentary, we saw Tom Metzger, a self-proclaimed Neo-Nazi who wants constantly talks about how racist he is, loves Mexico and is on good terms with an immigrant worker. Is he no longer racist? 

He can still consider his friend and father-in-law as inferior, sure. Racism doesn't mean you hate other races.

Not really, because he'd have no reason to lie and pretend to support dictatorship. He does, however, have reason to lie for another. If someone is caught on tape saying "I murdered someone" and tell the police they didn't murder them, either one could be a lie, but we can guess which one is true by motive.

5 years ago

Well, he is openly homophobic and racist, the dude's personally said he'd rather his kids die that be gay, and that he raised them too well to date black women. He also mentioned that he doesn't support democracy and wants a dictatorship, so maybe, just maybe, he's far, far worse than Trump.

5 years ago

Well at least we still got the freedom to call Muhammad a child molester! (Unlike in Austria apparently)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/its-not-free-speech-criticize-muhammad-echr-ruled/574174/

5 years ago
Jesus Christ smh and we bitch

5 years ago
What do you call a person who raped children then?

5 years ago

Proactive child enthusiast.

5 years ago

Obviously an early LGBT fighter. Why, he was known at his time as the ultimate non-binary, as he changed his gender to Prophet.

Why, he was so great, his future buddies even lightened some neonazi books in Alexandria to rid us of their racist and misogynistic comments.

5 years ago
They're still pedophiles - unless they're a religious figure. Then you can't say mean things about them because you might melt a snowflake.

5 years ago

Lol. Just Lol.

5 years ago

Well slow news day, so here's something on California burning to the ground.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46175339

5 years ago
You know what would be news? California not burning down for a day.

5 years ago
And to think, most people believed rising ocean levels would get it. Is that irony? I don't know if that's irony. I'll have to consult with Alanis Morissette.

5 years ago

I bet even Hotel California burned to the ground. No more Eagles for this week i guess.

5 years ago
Should be longer than that since they can check out any time they like, but they can never leave. Eagles going up in flames.

5 years ago
https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti

I bet it must be really embarrassing to get arrested for beating your wife when you're a public figure like this.

Of course it could all turn out to be FAKE BEATING, who knows. He said he didn't do it, and he's a lawyer and everything so we should probably believe him.

5 years ago

I find it funny that this same dude was saying Trump and other people would be arrested or something.

5 years ago
He just looks like a scumbag.

5 years ago

For Ireland! (Though Steve's already aware of it)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46207304

5 years ago

Repeating my comments.

Had an argument with my girlfriend about this. I thought it was the jury being retarded, but either this didn't sway anyone, in which case the solicitor is awful but there's no reason to care, or it did, in which case I blame the jury, but I acknowledge the solicitor's duty to do whatever they can to get their client off,

5 years ago
So a small army is trying to invade the US and preparing to bust through San Diego as we speak. I always knew this day would come.

I'd be way more excited to see California continue to burn if I didn't have family less than 20 miles from where this is going down lol.

5 years ago

I'd have called that "a bunch of hobos" . An army would mean weapons, logistic, and more generally a threat. I simply see extra work for ICE and the mexican equivalent (especially since they closed the Tijuana border). They're more or less under perfusion with GNO giving them food and stuff and mexican anti riot forces are monitoring them.

I heard the fire was "fully contained" so I guess it's good news for your family? Still , they might have evacuated the area for a while no?

5 years ago
Well I meant burn in the figurative sense but I understand that can be confusing in a case like this where the literal also applies.

Interesting trivia I came across last night, it turns out over a quarter of the nation's homeless population lives in California. I get that the climate is a big factor (so far they're still doing a good job disguising the fact that it's a desert with no water), but it also seems like a pretty difficult place to become unhomeless with the insane rent and cost of living. Can't say it would be my first choice of I were trying to get back on my feet. (Or I'd at least stop in Detroit first for the free shotgun...)

Anyway I haven't checked the news yet this morning, but they were talking about closing the border there last night and I'm wondering how much trouble this is going to cause for people in Tijuana who work in San Diego. My aunt's head maintenance guy does that and a few others, and it's kind of hilarious actually how much the actual Mexicans hate these people are convinced they're all rapists.

5 years ago

You can thank San Francisco for that fun homeless fact. That's a good point about the cost of living, although the handful of homeless people I've met don't actually seem like they're making steps to improve their conditions. If you're going to live on the street, might as well do it in a warm environment (and blue state!). 

5 years ago

me - what'cha sayin, the world's going to shit, I don't see wha-
abcnews  - "Turkish officials say President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has urged the presidents of Russia and Ukraine to overcome their dispute through diplomatic channels."

5 years ago

Obviously, Khanate of Crimea is rightful ottoman clay.

5 years ago

Yeah, let's pretend that Cilicia campaign didn't happen