Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Commended by Darius_Conwright on 12/23/2023 7:55:33 AM

Christmas is the season of giving! Or at least, that's what the ads want us to believe. (Buy this at 50% off, so someone else can awkwardly thank you and stash it away in a box, never be seen again. 'Tis the season!)

Let's try something different. We'll skip the consumerism and exchange digital gifts instead!

Here's how it works:

Respond if you want to join. On the 24th, I'll let you know who you'll prepare a gift for.

Gift ideas:

• A drawing of them (or at least, an attempt)
  • A written piece, e.g. a poem ending with mogami river
  • A short story where they murder you due to a coin flip
  • A photoshopped card
  • A review of one of their storygames

Since I know most people will be busy around Christmas, feel free to take your time. The gifts can continue trickling in until early January. I'll add a link to this thread later so everyone can post them anonymously. And once you have received your present, then there's the added challenge of trying to guess your Secret Santa!

And yes, I admit it, I may have stolen the title idea from another thread lol. 

TL;DR - Give presents, get presents. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

This is an extremely wholesome idea, sign me up

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
I like this, I'm down.

(Gonna be exciting to see who all signs up and then flakes.)

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

I'll do it!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
K

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

I would love to join this. Sign me up too.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Put my name in the hat!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

Interesting little ASSUMPTION you made about where we would be putting the names! I can't help but wonder what kind of agenda and reasoning you would have to be so pro-hat all of a sudden

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
I mean. Uh. Let's all put our names in a nondescript basket!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

I'm in

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

I'll do it! :)

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

Sure, sign me up

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

Me! Me! Me! I'll Join!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Commended by EndMaster on 12/23/2023 7:22:23 PM
No, kick her out

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

Don't be a grinch

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

Kill yourself right now

Belt hung above the stairwell

Mogami river

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
It hasn't even started yet, stupid. Jeez

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Sign me up!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Might as well join in

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Sure, why not.

Now, to figure out how to gift wrap a fart...

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

I'm really glad to see so many sign ups! For those of you who haven't decided yet, you have about a day left before I finalise the list of participants :)

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
This sounds like something that plays out better the more people join, so count me in.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

I'd like to join, this site is the only place in which I have a social life.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

Count me in.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

I'd like to join.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

You should all have received the name of your Secret Santa giftee by now! Here's a link to upload your presents anonymously: https://padlet.com/mysticthewarrior/SecretSanta

Scroll right to see each participant! You should be able to add pictures, text and files under each section. If there are any technical issues or you prefer to use a forum post layout, feel free to send me a message.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Commended by Ford on 12/27/2023 5:16:25 AM

Made with Padlet

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

We have five gifts so far! Let's keep this going.

As for Tim, Stargirl, Gryphon, Cavus and Zake - you may begin guessing who your Secret Santa is :)

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
I thought it would be easy seeing as it was hand drawn, so I could just look at the paper, but...

This is inconclusive at best! Maybe I should analyse the table instead.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

Or you could look at the artstyle. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

If none of the paper + table combinations match your samples, at the very least, you'll be able to rule out a few people. Process of elimination! Then it's just a matter of finding out who the most likely person to have made that post is. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
I've been trying to figure it out for a few hours now, but it's pretty hard to do with general review like that. I did in the process see that at some point there's an attempt to review bomb it (or over 100 people somehow found it so bad they gave it a score between 1 to 3).

Time to start scurrying the forum for other reviews to use as reference.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Oh yeah, Ryder will always do that to random games on his yearly visits. The thing is, only the most recent rating a spammer gives will ever count, and the ratings of people without accounts are pretty worthless anyway with the way the weightings are calculated.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Maybe start by considering which members are likely to write a long review, as opposed to other forms of gifts. Then you could glance at a few of their past reviews to see if there are any similarities.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

Whoever got mine

If you review Randomly Walk I will kill you and then myself

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Well, you had to see that coming

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Lmao

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Whatever this booklet wizardry is, I commend it, and I must say that Peng's gift was fucking adorable (the rest are good too).

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago
Drawing when you can't draw is harder than it seems, I am gonna have to rethink this.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

4 months ago

I'm sure your drawing will be great, based on what I remember from the MHD Appreciation Thread. Also, there are other options such as designing something on Photoshop or Canva, writing a short piece, reviewing a storygame, etc. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Thanks to whoever wrote the poem, I appreciate it!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

@PerforatedPenguin, @TypewriterCat, and @goodnight_a

Your gifts have been posted! Check them out and see if you can guess who your 'Secret' Santa is.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

We're adding the threat of SHAME to this activity.

For those of you who already submitted your presents, you're safe! Congrats to the eight of you for being creative and productive CYStians. But for the procrastinators, you have until 11.59pm on the 7th of January 2024 to submit your gift, otherwise you'll be thrown in the SHAME pit. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Well, at least you won't have to do anything until next year, right?

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

I will get mine in before the deadline.  Posting this will help keep me reminded.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

I don't think I'll get mine and that there's a high chance that it was Petros.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
If I have you, you'll get yours. Now shut your gruel hole

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

And I do not have you, so me turning one in has no effect on the probability of you receiving one.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Going to add to this that there also must be some minimum level of effort put in. Whoever got Sent's name better reach a little deeper into the stocking.

(Assuming that was even them and not my first guess of Ford screwing around.)

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Might as well be the first to make a guess. Based on what I've been able to browse and eliminate the most likely person to have written that review in my eyes is Stargirl. Still I'm at most 60% confident in that guess.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Unfortunately, you're wrong. May I know what led you to this conclusion? But go ahead and take another guess.

Hint: this person has written at least a few featured reviews :)

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
I started by eliminating those who already posted a comment on Nautilus since their reviews didn't match this one. Then I took a closer look and like Darius mentioned it looked like something written by a girl, though I still checked out everybody else. After comparing and eliminating people I ended up with a list of 4 people (Tim, MHD, Stargirl and TCat). Out of those Star seemes closest though it was still a guess at best. Anyway 2nd guess MHD tough probably also wrong and I got trolled by Gryphon or Ogre.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Reading the review it does sound like it's written by a teenage girl, though the more organized structure with headings kinda reminds me how Gryphon used to write his reviews (bar the "gosh"). I would lean toward Suranna, but since she's the type to draw stuff, my guess for yours would be Peng. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
I mostly eliminated Suranna because she already made a comment on it back when the contest was on and the review doesn't match her thoughts. My second guess would be between TCat and MHD leaning towards Hatter under the assumption she wouldn't want to spend time on drawing and prefer to make it harder to guess it's her.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

That is an extremely interesting conclusion.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

@MadHattersDaughter, your gift has been posted too! 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

I love the implication I stop the fight after every gift for a wardrobe change. This someone certainly knows me pretty well.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

@Petros and @Suranna, your gifts have been posted.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
I know the art style. I also recognize the hesitancy to brutalize me in the review.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Yeah, their gremlin snark towards me made their identity very apparent. They also mentioned me in a review where I wasn't even present.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
I wonder what kind of Scrooge got the rest of our names.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
I fully expect mine to roll in 30 seconds before the deadline.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Yep

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

To whom it may concern:
Your poem didn't quite so burn,
I read your attempt to incite me,
with a drawing to entice me,

But a small fleeting promise
isn't quite so honest,
When yours truly
and quite cruelly,

Spent a couple days
during her own holidays,
To create a gift so perfect,
That even Ace could discern it.

But don't take it back now,
I'll one-up you right meow.
With a declaration to win,
or at least for me to go all-in.

I'll make Top 5, I'm sure
Then we'll see who's immature. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Locked.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

@Ogre11 your gift has arrived.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Woo-hoo!

That's awesome!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Man, that was really good, too!

I was just thinking about making some meatballs this week...

Thank you very much, secret santa!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

@Darius_Conwright and @ISentinelPenguinI, your gifts are here.

Also, for anyone who hasn't already done so, this is a reminder to upload your gifts by the end of tomorrow

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

I always love a fun horror story and very lovely drawing! How did they know I have this exact kind of toaster? 

Think it's from Ogre, just a hunch. 

But it could be anyone who was in the discord a year ago since they got my hair color right.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

@DBNB, your present has presented itself! (Excuse the pun, I'm still recovering from the questionnaire thread). 

To those still procrastinating, don't be a Grinch/ Scrooge, submit your presents today! As for the two people who attempted guesses, I'll give you a tip: your Secret Santa has not been guessed by anyone in this thread (which rules out eight people).

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
The real Christmas cheer will be when the deadline arrives and Sherb and I tie the slothful pair remaining together with tinsel and boot them down the chimney.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Yay! 

Thanks Santa!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Looks like everybody made it. Kind of a shame we don't get one person so tie up and throw into a freezing lake, that'd be some nice bonding time.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Well since I assume this person will eventually log in again and wouldn't be the type to want to take credit for someone else's work, that gift is from Mystic who could not restrain herself from putting in far too much effort to disguise it anyway.

Decided not to shame the actual person who flaked though since they haven't been around in a bit and likely have a reason.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by mizal on 1/7/2024 6:45:23 PM

I've been working on this in a notepad file that was last updated this morning, and I'm at the end of my rope as far as what I can spin without knowing further. Can't wait to see where I was wrong.

Secret Santa Detective File
~~~

Peng - MHD, unquestionably

MHD - Well of course I know him, he's me!

Goodnight_a - Got a drawing and a review, which contains CYS Discord Shibboleths. Pointedly aware of Goodnight's general site activity in a distinctly Miz-like way. Mizal did imply she was going to draw a thing, I think we got 'em. ADDENDUM- I did indeed find out this was Mizal.

Darius - Feels like ogre did this based purely on vibe and the fact that none of the other gifts seem ogrey

TCat - Darius, unquestionably

Zake - Analogue pencil drawing done by someone with an unlined notebook and a straightedge, these seem like things somebody in school would have, but they aren't exactly school equipment so it could be an adult who draws occassionally. Would not be Miz or Ogre. Suranna draws but electrically. Would not be Darius or MHD.

Ogre - Whoever this is probably uses the discord because being a chef wasn't one of the known traits of ogre before all this.

CavusRex - Given a review. Mizal, Suranna, & Peng, already commented so their odds are significantly lowered. Mizal wrote an *actual* review the first time, so it would be weird to do it twice. Zake would do this but it feels like it doesn't seem to follow a Zake structure. Too lighthearted to be TCat. Possibly it was Gryphon or Sherboid. I think this was Sherb for some reason.

Suranna - A borderline Suranna-negative poem, giving vibes of Mizal or Petros. Leaning on the side of Mizal because the poem is about cracking the productivity whip and Petros probably would've just drawn the picture if he had it in him. ADDENDUM: It's gotta be Petros.

Gryphon - A poem. Feels like TCat, Suranna, or Stargirl made this by the way that it's bent around the rhymes.

Stargirl - electronic drawing, seemingly made off of a model. Zake does these, but so does Suranna. Leaning on the side of Zake because Suranna is more freeform and uses far thicker/more variable lines, probably a stylus.

DBNB - N/A

Tim - Given a shitpost poem image that could be made with very common computer tools. Not a single shibboleth except Mogami River, which was already spoiled in the OP. Someone very young who doesn't know Tim may have done this. Goodnight_a or Stargirl are in the age range. Or maybe not, they've been here forever but my mind still sees babies when I look at their usernames.

Petros - Looks like suranna could've done it, but Sherbet thinks this is TCat and some of the review does read as Tcattish. Theorizing that this is TCat.

Mizal - N/A

Sentinel - a fuckin DIGITAL *PAINTING!?* Completely out of left field, can't think of anyone who does this. Regardless both included reviews of randomly walk so I have to kill them both whoever they are.

Sherbet - N/A

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Nice detective work.

Stargirl and Goodnight are both 15 or so I believe.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

You've got most of the guesses right. Only one of the guesses for a specific person is wrong. Of the guesses mentioning several names, just three does not name-drop the right person :)

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by mizal on 1/7/2024 8:02:56 PM
image-2024-01-07-163528577

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Some seem to be on the right track so far; the others, not so much. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Last night, the remaining gifts mysteriously appeared under the tree! Feel free to submit more guesses in light of this new information and maybe even confuse each other about who you've prepared a present for.

I'll just add that I'm honestly really pleased with the turnout rate. I don't think I've seen this level of productivity before (except maybe the first prompt contest). There is lots of high quality work too, this activity somehow produced a collection of great art, reviews and written pieces. Maybe we should do this again next year.

Also, all participants may reply to this post for a commendation! 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 10:39:24 AM

I am going to guess the review of my story was from Griffin.  

Whoever did it though, I greatly appreciate it.  It was well thought out and helpful. Thanks.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 11:22:45 AM
Nice. I put in very little effort, so the hardest part was figuring out how to use the blasted digital Christmas tree

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 11:27:18 AM

I loved how you organized it. Kudos to you too!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 11:47:34 AM
I hope that I was one of the sneakier santas.

I love these gifts, especially mine! I've got it set as my phone lockscreen. Thanks, MHD! Thanks to Mystic for hosting this, as well.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 12:08:55 PM

One free commendation, please.

I enjoyed my gift. I'll attempt to set the picture to my storygame cover once I figure out the HTML for that. Thanks, Darius.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

It's been an honour. :)

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 12:09:12 PM

Thanks for hosting this!

Thank you to Mizal for the picture and summary of my activity on-site. I'm going to assume it's you because you've used the word 'wholesome' twice now to describe my writing. Once I figure out how to get technology to cooperate the picture's getting slapped on the front cover, as it's far better than anything I could ever draw.

Again, thank you for the gift exchange and a belated Merry Christmas.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 12:25:43 PM

This was pretty neat.

Thanks for hosting it, Mystic.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 12:37:57 PM
Thank you for this fun time. Yes, please, do it again next year. Well, if you're still here. If anyone is still here...

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 12:38:06 PM
Thanks, for hosting. It was fun and while I already gave up on guessing who made my gift I'm 90% sure nobody will guess who got a gift from me. At least not until the options dwindle.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 2:01:28 PM

Thanks for organizing this, lots of fun!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 2:46:03 PM
hi

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/8/2024 3:37:56 PM
:pepewoo:

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/9/2024 5:34:52 AM

yahoo!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Commended by Mystic_Warrior on 1/9/2024 5:34:59 AM
I tried being sneaky, but it didn't work out perfectly. Being overly ambitious with the plan did at least stop it from being super obvious.

I'll save the slightly longer breakdown for after someone gets those 50 points. I might deceive some people yet!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

For fun, I'll be giving 50 points to the first person to correctly guess all of the Secret Santas' identities. But the catch - you each only have one try.

Go ahead and exchange information with one another, read through the past hints, and rely on the process of elimination. I doubt it'll take long for someone to figure it out. I'll reveal the results once guessing has died down. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

It's oddly touching that so many of you recognized my art style. Everyone so far guessed right!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

It's certainly a peculiar style!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Ok, I see the problem with this now. I'll change this slightly - the first three guessers will have 2 attempts, and the first person to get 10 correct will be given 10 points. Simple enough, right?

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

I'm feeling confident in my answer. 

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Locked.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Five wrong and twelve correct. Not too bad!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

If there are no other guesses, I'll reveal the results tomorrow! Then we'll see how well CYStians know one other.

Speaking of the guesses, there are some really well thought out ones that show how well members in this community can recognise someone else's art/ writing style. Then there are some equally as well thought out, but it's hilarious to see how off they are.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Alright, time for a bit of wholesomeness. Here's the list of Secret Santa allocations! There were some pretty sneaky ones in the mix too, it was interesting to see a few people fooled.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Damn, I thought I had Sherb's gifter all figured out but I was completely off. But in hindsight, I guess this did explain why his came in at the last minute.

I appreciate you filling in for Stargirl too, the globe was very fancy. I do hope she got to see her gift from Zake though and is okay in general, it's been a couple weeks.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for setting this all up, I hope we can make it an annual tradition. Maybe even something fun to do during the summer time slumps as well if enough interest can be drummed up.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
I switched into a bullet point review just for this :P

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
I must say I had Sherb at like the 5th spot in terms of likelyhood. The review just felt to general for it to be one of his. Maybe I just got stuck on seeing the whole "not replying in 8 years" comment too much.

Also I now can actually ask where does Sent see a straight edge in my drawing since I don't even own one. Even if I did I was too lazy to pull out my pencil set and did the whole thing with a single HB one let alone any fancier tools.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Image showing what was traced to create a secret santa artwork.

In my attempts to be sneaky, I used MHDs work as the pose reference. Sent noticed the lack of line weight, and I consider that one of the main giveaways. Adding them is a pain (not a stylus, a mouse, hence the copious amounts of tracing), but I also tend to forget to add them later. The other thing I like doing is gradient backgrounds.

Of course, used character references too, and tried copying MHD expressions, since they're so emotive. Next time I'll copy her castle designs, because that would definitely throw people off. (I did quickly give up on passing it off as MHD work, because it did not take long to realise I couldn't replicate it at all closely enough, aha).

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago
Thanks for the review, Peng! It's cool to see someone check out Warden.

Yahoo!

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

Thank you for the picture, Suranna!

But unfortunately when I find out who left the first review, you know what I'm gonna have to do to both of you.

❅ Secret Santa ❅

3 months ago

For those of you who wrote reviews, don't forget to post them. Go claim your free featured spot :)