Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/2/2024 11:19:53 PM

Alright, I don’t like drawing out who won in some sort of cheap game show fashion especially since it’s clearly obvious.

Sherbet won.

While of course longer stories don’t always dictate a sure win, they do tend to have more “stuff” in them that allows for more entertainment potential, along with more branching, endings and other things I’m looking for in these contests. Sherb basically covered all of that and hell, I even went and read a previous story he wrote just to see how it connected to THIS story.

So yeah obviously succeeded in keeping the engagement level pretty high.

He’ll be getting my trophy since he’s definitely put out enough quality stories at this point. This one will probably be featured once it gets enough ratings (Might already, I’ll have to check)

Now then here’s the list of everyone in relative order which will be followed by some notes.

1. Reborn by Sherbet - 8

2. A Prayer for Destruction by Malk - 8

3. Revenge of the River Lord by GP - 8

4. Polaris by MHD - 7

5. The Sojourner's Home by Petros - 7

6. Terrorist by Ben - 7

7. The Grand Pharaoh's Tomb by Dire - 6

8. The Red Church by Peng - 6

9. Where the Clouds Want to Go by StoryTurtle - 6

10. How To Bring an End to Things? by Darius - 6

11. The Village That Was by goodnight - 6

12. A Hill to Die On by Corgi - 5

13. Avarga by Enter - 5

14. Golden Gaze - Establishing a Foothold by Kezmark - 5

15. The Caverns of Grobblebad by Mizal - 5

16. DRIVE by Wizzy - 5

17. The Boy Who Would Be Duke by Milton - 4 (Disqualified)

18. Cleansed by Bezro - 3 (Disqualified)

19. Distant Past by Alienrun - 1 (SHAME Lol)

Alright let’s talk about the major 3 that would appeal to me specifically based on the content and tone in which they were written: Malk, Petros and Ben’s stories.

Malk’s actually written stuff like this AND won with a grimdark story before, so he definitely had the major edge (Literally) going this route. Arguably if he’d written even only half as much as Sherb did and still kept up the same quality he might have very well won instead. Could potentially get featured depending on how the ratings go on it.

Petros’ story wasn’t actually “edgelord” or “grimdark” but playing as a slaver is definitely in the dark category. He went a more comical route which definitely helped considering he didn’t actually spend much time on writing the story at all. Had enough branches though I could have definitely seen the story having more to it. Dunno if he intends on adding any more stuff to it, but its one of those I’m looking at to see if it’ll be high enough to feature in the scifi section.

Then we come to Ben’s story which given the topic he picked, this was probably the best way he could have went with it. Really something going for complete shock value probably shouldn’t actually be excessively long. Where he excelled at (Besides obviously trying to emulate Love SICK and some of my other stories) was including little “epilogues” of what the consequences were of your fucked up actions. (Whether you ruined your dad’s rep or not, etc) Helped raise the enjoyment level a bit.

Alright now for the 2 “normal” stories which were highly rated. MHD and GP’s.

Well there isn’t much to say about MHD since she always puts out quality and her own art in her stories. I clicked some path though and it was a bit disjointed from the previous page. This one will probably end up getting featured in the mystery/thriller category once it gets enough ratings (If it hasn’t already) I know I didn’t play it as intended since I pretty much stayed a professional and didn’t have decadent lesbian sex with the aging starlet. Also didn’t have sex with the robot, but that was because he was black.

However, I know some of you might be into that sort of thing so I’m sure the ratings for the story will get even higher!

So Pancake was definitely the surprise in this contest because I really unexpectedly enjoyed this one enough that I actually went through all of the branches and there were definitely a lot of different ones. I even got the best one first (New Chieftain) and I was compelled to explore more of them. I can say if Sherb and Malk hadn’t been in the contest Pancake would have won.

Alright on to the next group which were solid stories (6s) These were Peng, Sturtle and Goodnight

Really nothing much to say on any of them other than they’re fine stories to add to the site. Peng’s is closer to what I would normally read of course. However, I’d actually say Sturtle’s is potentially feature worthy in its category depending on how the ratings go. Which I’m not sure if it’s staying in Family Friendly or it should go in Fanfic since it’s actually based on Candyland which would make it the SECOND story based on a boardgame on here. Nice touch that he added his own art to it as well.

Next group are the unfinished/rushed and there were a lot of these folks as is tradition. These were Dire, Darius, Corgi, Enter, Kezmark, Wizzy, Mizal

Now out of all of them, I liked Dire’s the most and I feel like if he had actually finished it, he probably would have gotten a higher rating. The funny thing is I didn’t necessarily expect to like his especially after he mentioned there was a maze (Though I avoided that path altogether) He also had a lot of “back to previous page” links which I never care for since there’s a back button. But other than the maze, I went through every path so it kept my attention. What probably helped was during the whole riddle path he had a different death for every wrong answer when he could have easily just linked to a same one (You fall down a hole and die). Attention to death detail always gets major approval.

For Darius…I dunno man. He wrote about necromancers and for whatever reason my attention just wasn’t there. I know it was REALLY short compared to most of Darius’ work in the past so maybe it being unfinished didn’t help or maybe Cel was right and he needs to just stick with writing gay shit. Still, obviously work was put into it, so can’t ignore that.

I had the same problem with Kez’s story. Just didn’t have much attention span for it. Again maybe it was due to being unfinished. Seemed like it took awhile to get to the buying slave girls for the harem part and then the story ended.

I had even less of an attention span for Wizzy’s. Though the formatting didn’t help in that case. Already had decided by then Sherb was winning anyway by the time I got to his. With a title like drive I was expecting some Mad Max type shit.

Enter’s was pretty linear along with being rushed which of course lowered the rating, though I could see signs of an interesting story there.

And I’ll be honest, by the time I got to Mizal’s I was in no mood to click various links to buy shit and look at extra info. Mizal had already said she hadn’t finished, was taking it down as soon as the contest judging was over and I had already decided Sherb was winning anyway. Still, again there’s a lot of potential for a whole village building sim/story there.

Corgi’s wasn’t really unfinished so much as it was just short. I suppose if more had been written it would have gotten bumped up to a 6 and been along side Peng and that group. I actually did go through all the branches on his.

Finally the “rest” Bezro, Milton and Alienrun

Well like I said before Alienrun made such a nuisance of himself that his late entry was not given mercy and I didn’t even bother reading it after having to click a bunch of stat links. Let this be a lesson in STOP FUCKING WHINING.

Bezro’s story got a generous pass considering the walls of fucking text that were in it. Fortunately he had enough branching and different endings. He probably should just take that one down though and either severely overhaul it or just scrap it and write something else.

Arguably Milton’s might have even gotten a pass to be in competition if he’d only been as late as Alien or Bezro (Like 1 minute rather than 15 or however long it was due to technical difficulties) since I saw a lot of work actually in the story when I skimmed through it. Again I only skimmed this one to see how much work was done and if it had branching, etc. I don’t think I would have been much into reading it though. I feel like our resident history story writer Will would be a better judge on it. It’s another one that probably needs to be taken down to be worked on and making sure all the links are properly ended.

Well guess that’s it for another successful contest prompt.

Yes, I said successful. We got some good stories added to the site and honestly I never expect even half of you lot to turn in shit anyway. The first prompt contest was more of an anomaly. Getting submitted stories in the high teen range is actually always doing pretty good for any CYS contest.

These contests are always more about adding more high quality stories to the site to add to our glory, spreading the tales of our magnificence across obscure corners of the web to the point so that even in the camps of our faggot enemies they have no choice but to speak highly of our writing ability while whining about how “toxic” we all are.

Because remember it isn’t about money, it’s about sending a message.

Plus I finally got to throw all the known Mormons into the FOREVER SHAMED part of the pit.

Yep, always WINNING around here.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/2/2024 11:19:57 PM
Congratulations to Sherbet, Malk, and GP for the top 3 finish, and all the other contestants who managed to turn something in. Really strong showing this time!

I, for one, am decently pleased with what I managed to scrunge up last few days. (Plus, my bet actually went through for a whopping 1000 points...)

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/2/2024 11:20:01 PM
Oh thank God, I can take it down now. And we all knew who was going to win this weeks ago, but congrats are all in order. I personally would've put Polaris in second place though.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago

Woman detected 

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/2/2024 11:20:05 PM

Congratulations Sherb! Gotta agree with Mizal, it really was a toss-up between him and MHD

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/2/2024 11:20:09 PM

Wow! I totally wasn't expecting this. I thought it would be a 6 at most. Guess I'm officially worth the title of GeniusPancake now instead of RetardedPancake. I will try to read the other stories now that the contest is over. Thank you so much End and congratulations to everyone else who submitted a story and wasn't disqualified! Y'all are already better than at least 34 people.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago

Another plus: the chance that some CoGite will wander over here looking for a gender-neutral bathroom and stumble upon my story.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/2/2024 11:20:17 PM

Huge and well deserved congrats to Sherb for knocking it out of the park 

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Mizal on 4/2/2024 11:34:02 PM

Yahoo!
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had high hopes for Reborn (it was a lot of writing!), but boy, was this competition stiff. So stiff that I knew I was probably in trouble as soon as I saw Polaris pop up in the Discord server.
While this one didn't have the best turnout, the average quality of stories was really high this time around I feel. Definitely a number of feature-worthy ones to choose from!

Thanks to End for hosting as always, as his contests are always big and fun to participate in- and of course, the awesome new trophy! I have put it right next to my Texas, as you can see.

Congratulations to the other high placers- especially Malk, who nearly took it home in a historic mystery-contestant victory, and fellow top-fivers GP, MHD, and Petros, all of which did super well! And, well, congratulations to everyone who didn't get shamed, really. As for those who did, at least you broke a record, pretty sure this was the most shameful contest in all of history.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 12:35:33 AM
Well, this is the best I've done in a contest by far. I feel good about this. Congrats to Sherbert or however you spell her name

I think I'll even read the stories.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 12:35:37 AM

I think the most valuable part of a contest, aside from being able to push yourself to finish a storygame by a deadline, is that you get more feedback on your story. A contest not only lets the judge give comments but also attracts attention to the entries from other readers on the site. 

An important thing to remember is that how much someone likes the story doesn't define how good a story is. Everyone might have different tastes, after all! What one can do to improve is to evaluate what was done well and what was not with the help of readers' comments, and then make sure to keep the findings in mind while writing the next work. 

I'm really interested in reading more stories at the moment. Writing requires inspiration, and until I have enough for entering my next contest, I'm going to be diving into the various portals in CYStia!

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 1:32:26 PM

Congratulations to everyone who submitted something, but especially to Sherbet! Well done!

I learned quite a bit through this experience. The key is to write at a strong, consistent pace and give yourself enough time in advance to sort out any technical issues before something is due. I'd love to do this sort of thing again. Of course, in the meantime, I'll continue to work on my storygame and polish it up, as well as write something new.

Even though my entry was disqualified (justly so), it was a privilege and an honor to be part of this contest. Thank you EndMaster for organizing this!

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 1:32:38 PM

GGs to everyone who avoided the SHAME pit. But especially congratulations to Sherb for winning this. The positives of a contest like this is at the very least we'll have yours and Malk's stories around!

Thanks to Endmaster for running it as always, I appreciate that all the Mormons are now in the latter day circle of hell too.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 1:32:46 PM

Congratulations to Sherbet for winning and writing a massive story that made full use of the time given (let's face it, most of us didn't).

Thanks for the contest.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
That's some pretty high praise for Pancake too. I'll have to give their story another look soon since that's one of the ones I just hurriedly skimmed. I'm hoping to eventually get some comments in on all of these, but it'll take some time. (Of course, it does become easier now that a few have been taken down.)

StoryTurtle by the way I'm pretty sure is a girl. But then who can tell with these crazy kids these days.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

27 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 1:33:15 PM
Congrats to Sherbet! Haven't read any of the stories yet, but I'm going to give them a go in the weekend when I have time, as long as they're still published.

Honestly, you're way too kind with mine, like I said, it's basically unfinished, despite it having an end. I wrote about 10%, then added another 10% and tried to reach a conclusion for the story with just that. It's 20% of the story if I'm generous and even then, it was a rough draft. Anyway, I'll hopefully do a much better job next contest. I might fix this one eventually. I might actually remove the whole harem plot or keep it as a background thing since it won't be part of a contest anymore. Probably won't though, but I plan on making some shorter stories in the coming months, and get better at forcing myself to write consistently.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

26 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 1:33:23 PM

Congrats Sherb and everyone else who submitted! It was alot of fun.

Also thanks to End for hosting and the feedback!

Prompt Contest 3 Results

26 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 8:53:17 PM
Sorry to anybody who might have read this twice, I posted in the wrong thread. Congrats on the win, Sherbet... x2 now! Body horror is one of my fave subgenres of horror, so looking forward to reading it - & everybody else's entries too of course!! :^)

Unfortunately I was ultimately bested by anesthesia, poor time management, and too much yapping. Mizal was right when she said that talking about the contest just encourages lies and sloth, lol. I did write a lot more than I have in a while though, and learned some scripting stuff too (even if I did relapse into my Twine based habits, where most of my wordcount lies).

Disappointed in Alien after the 92 pep talks he got.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

26 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/3/2024 8:53:22 PM
Congrats Sherbet!! Definitely deserved! :~)

Prompt Contest 3 Results

26 days ago

Congratulations to Sherb! Will probably have to actually read that one at some point... the horror. Probably should check out Pancake's, as well, given that I have similar tastes to end so I'll probably like it. And, of course, I've been eyeing ben's terrorist story. Sure sounds like something I'd love.

Congrats to everyone that submitted, either way!

Prompt Contest 3 Results

25 days ago

Congrats to Sherbert and everyone who participated!

Prompt Contest 3 Results

25 days ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/5/2024 7:44:59 PM
Well done Sherbet. With another win on your belt (and in this fashion as well) you're consistently cementing your status as one of the site's greats.

It's good to see so many new names as well, or at least y'all new to me. Most of you show great promise, even those that didn't score very high. After all, performance can only improve after your first awkward entry. Just keep at it and don't succumb to any anxiety.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

25 days ago
Congrats to Sherbet, and nice work for everyone who participated! I got a whole lot of reviewing ahead of me...

Prompt Contest 3 Results

25 days ago

Congrats to Sherb on winning and writing a 100k storygame! If you wouldn't mind judging a few reviews, I'm thinking of hosting a review competition for Reborn in a few days time. It might even be an unofficial thing after every contest so the winner gets an additional prize of (potentially) several quality reviews. 

Well done to Malk and GP for second and third place, and to everyone who submitted something. Looks like this contest produced a lot of high-quality stories too. 

Prompt Contest 3 Results

24 days ago

Ooh, I like comments! That seems like a good idea.

Prompt Contest 3 Results

22 days ago
Congrats, Sherb, great job!

Prompt Contest 3 Results

17 days ago

Congratulations to everyone who submitted a contest entry! I am not worthy. 

Special congratulations to Sherb of course for winning another contest. :>