Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

What was the last book that ever made you cry?

8 years ago

For me, I don't really feel sad enough -when reading a tragedy in a book- to make me really cry. 

Don't get me wrong, I easily get emotionally attached to a character, but their death (or their loss) never really seems to get me so emotional to the point where I burst into tears.

So has a book ever made you cry, if so, what book was it? And what about the character(s) made you do so?

8 years ago

The Sculptor. Graphic novel by Scott McCloud.

Much as I'd love to articulate why I felt it worked as well as it did, it would involve spoilers.

I do recommend it.

8 years ago

Looks interesting.

8 years ago

Damn it, Morgan! I came here to laugh at people, not to feel!

8 years ago

Not a one....though I do have a memory of crying over a book, yet I'm not sure if it was real or if it was just regular crying....

8 years ago

Umm. What's the difference between real and regular crying?

8 years ago

I meant if the memory was a real memory or just a dream.

8 years ago

I remember crying over a book, quite a while ago. I can't remember which though.

8 years ago
My autobiography ;(

8 years ago

....my jimmies....were not prepared....

8 years ago

I think--crazy as this sounds--the last time I got teary eyed while reading something (not like, full-blown bawling, mind you, just misty) was while reading a fan-fiction. It was several years ago, so I was still young, and I couldn't tell you what it was or what it was about really, but if I recall correctly, there was something about the character I identified with on a personal level, and the pain they felt hit a little too close to home. This--I think--led me to the realization that someone else understood how I was feeling, enough to portray it accurately, and had possibly experienced the same sort of pain. It can be a powerful feeling, especially as a teen, to realize you're not alone and that someone, anyone, understands you. And I was a really lonely kid, heh.

Other than that, the only time I've cried reading something fictional was from too much laughter. xD Some of the stories I've read were just so bad, they were amazing in their own special way...

8 years ago

I think the end of Fellowship of the Ring, many years ago.

8 years ago

When I was seven my "friend" hit me in the face with a hard-backed dictionary and that made me pretty sad :) In terms of emotional impact I tend to find films more moving than books though I guess well-written novels about real-life tragedies or disasters can be pretty effective. Some of Maupassant's short stories like The Minuet can be moving depending on your mood, he wrote very powerful writing before catching syphilis, going crazy and dying. His career went downhill after that :)

8 years ago

Lol, Will. xD 

8 years ago

I have never really had strong enough emotions to make me cry while reading a book, but the book The Rot and Ruin had one sad part that was emotional. Not enough to make me cry though. It's a part where all the characters mourn over one of the heroes and the author did a really great job in showing everybody's emotions. The character that dies was very easy to get attached to because he was basically the moral compass for everybody and kept everyone going in the right direction morally.

8 years ago

I believe it was Allegiant by Veronica Roth..... I don't know if it was the last time I cried cause of a book.... I don't know if it counts though, considering I was PMSing....

8 years ago

Well... None.

I don't cry very easily, you need to kill the main protagonist over 10 novels for me to shed a tear... Concerning when was the last time I almost cried about a fictional plot would be in Mass Effect 3's ending. Considering books, I remotely came to sadness in a book we have to read for school, Rose (I couldn't find a better link, sorry)

I guess this proves I don't have proper crying feelings :(

8 years ago

I cant really remember the very last book, But i will say it was a book called, "Because of windixie".

I am not sure if the title is spelled correctly. oh well...

8 years ago

I know there's a movie called Because of Wind-ixie (or something like that)... I am not sure about the book, though.

8 years ago

Oh yeah, I remember there was a movie. I never saw it.

I only read the book.

8 years ago

Because of Winn-Dixie never really made me cry, but...

It kinda hits you in the feels sometimes.

8 years ago

I've never cried to a book. Some made me sad or shocked me, but never cried. The saddest part I read was when the Simon thing happened in City of Heavenly Fire. I set down the book and it took me two days to read the final 20 pages.

8 years ago

Kit and Count Olaf dying in A Series of Unfortunate Events. 13: The End. 

That was about 4 years ago.

8 years ago

Thanks for the spoiler... *Begins crying*

7 years ago

Spoilers much? I was about to read that.

8 years ago

All Quiet On The Western Front, once when Hans(?) died, and then once when I skipped to Kats death, and then once when he got back to his home and was talking to Hans(? i dunno man the leg blown off kid???) and well, by the time I got to Kats death again, I felt so empty I couldn't really offer anymore tears.

I didn't cry at all in The Fault In Our Stars, but I think I like actually choked up like mad 4 times in Shane. That book is hardly 150 pages.

8 years ago

Warriors: Dovewing's Silence

Basically the camp was mourning the dead, when the medicine cat went to check on Sorreltail, who refused to have her wounds checked until the others were healed.

The medicine cat found Sorreltail dead, surrounded by a pool of blood. Her two kits were jumping on her to "wake her up". Dovewing had to tell them their mother would sleep forever.

I cried, even though I've only cried over a book ONCE before then! The other time was around Dumbledores death in Harry Potter. I didn't cry because he died. I cried because his phoenix left, lol.

8 years ago

Hmm... Winger came close, but not quite.

8 years ago

Freak the Mighty was a pretty sad book. It was probably one of the few books that made me cry.

8 years ago

That one was really sad too! We read Freak the Mighty as a class, and by the end everyone except, maybe, three people were bawling.

8 years ago

The last book that made me cry was called Golden Son the second book in the Red Rising series. I could not sleep for hours.

8 years ago

In the 6th grade I was to read Daniel's Story. I wasn't affected but most of the others (including the teacher) were near tears or crying.

I dunno, it didn't strike me as too sad.

8 years ago

I don't usually "cry" while reading books (only movies and music can bring me to literal tears). But, I do end up doing this 'laughing on the outside but totally crying rivers on the inside' kind of thing if a book moves me. Off the top of my head, the book that did manage to get a couple teardrops out of me, was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In my defense, I can smell a possible death\sad ending in a book from a mile away, but some of the deaths in that books were so random that I was blindsided. (Curse you Fred Weasley for unexpectedly dying while talking in mid-sentence!!!! D'X)

8 years ago

Fred was my davorite out of the Weasley twins. I don't know why, since they're twins...I just always liked him more...

8 years ago

Daughter of the Red Deer by Joan Wolf. I'm not a romantic person, But. In that book lies the most touching and by far the most simplest romantic scene I've read. It makes me burst into tears every time. Gosh I read it for the first time 12 years ago and after that numerous times... Nothing fancy but for me that one scene is brilliant.

Though I have to admit that it isn't the hardest thing for me to feel emotional when reading or watching movie/documentary/series.

8 years ago

Eh, I don't really know.

When I read Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison I guess I was a bit emotional...

XD

8 years ago

The Book Thief I think. That or maybe The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. I don't know, man; thieves just really hit me in the heart I guess.

8 years ago

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami.

8 years ago

Allegiant- She escapes certain death only to be shot by her friend :(

8 years ago

I remember that. I basically just threw my tablet on the floor, and decided I hated life. The movie is almost in theaters. I wonder if they are going to change that.

8 years ago
Wait... what?!?! I haven't read it yet!!!

8 years ago

Ah, wait, I missed this-- @future you're a murakami fan?

8 years ago

Between shades of gray. NOT FIFTY SHADES OF GRAY! BETWEEN shades of gray, not FIFTY shades of gray. The book made me cry because it's  realistic. It's cruel. It's harsh. It's the bitter truth on what happened to an entire country. Amazing.

8 years ago

... Would've been funny you'd actually cried while reading 50SOG, not gonna lie. (Unless, of course, it was from laughter, which isn't funny but is perfectly relatable.)

8 years ago

I almost cried from that because I could almost feel the pain she was enduring as if it were my own... my ass hurts.

8 years ago

xD Get a better computer chair.

8 years ago

Yeah, no kidding. The one I have now has a big hole on the bottom, kinda like a toilet seat . It makes me feel... vulnerable.

8 years ago

That's because you are. :D

8 years ago
My life story...

8 years ago

Is it a book?

8 years ago

8 years ago

No, no, not your life story, hers.

8 years ago
Unpublished, but yes. Currently still in progress.... (not being sarcastic, for once)

Unsure if I will ever publish, actually. It would definitely make money, but I don't think I could share it...

8 years ago

Publish under a pseudonym. You get catharsis and money, and anyone who reads it that has gone through similar crap will be grateful to know they're not alone.

8 years ago
Good idea, actually. Will do!! Well, as soon as it's finished and reaches some kind of happy ending... Wouldn't sell yet with the reader left hanging at the end, unfortunately.

8 years ago

I dunno. You could get away with making it a series probably. "Next time on the Breezybiography... a bullet shot at my house nearly fucking kills me." etc.

8 years ago
Smh... didn't know if anyone actually remembered me sharing that particular memory. Yeah, sounds good already, huh? And that's not even the tip of the iceberg, folks! Stay tuned next week, for the episode where Breezy's ex husband threw a pocket knife at her face! Luckily, she threw her hand up, to protect her face, just in the nick of time! Yay! Unfortunately, the knife embedded itself into her pointer finger's fingernail.... And just for kicks here, now imagine the knife had flew through her outstretched fingers and embedded in her skull?!? Sounds scary, huh? XD

Favorite quote I've written: "It takes actually surviving through a terror-filled or horrifying experience, to write a realistic and gripping horror story that truly haunts your readers."

8 years ago
...holy hell, I'm glad you got some writing experience out of it, but what kind of life have you been living? Have you called the police? Because I think throwing knives at your ex-wife is illegal. Under, you know, attempted homicide and physical assault.

--edit

Oh, wait, this the same guy who got arrested for armed robbery, right? If so, suddenly, that's not so surprising anymore...

8 years ago

Fuck, you've been through a lot. And with 2 children!?!? And you still live to tell the tale? Nothing can possibly stop you now. My sympathies...

P.S Can I put that quote on my profile? Another forum made me realize I had none.

8 years ago
Yep. Some of us older folk have many tales to tell... XD

And feel free...

7 years ago

I, too, laugh at fictional stories on occasion. 

7 years ago

"Where the Red Fern Grows". If you've read it, you know why and if you haven't read it, you should.

7 years ago

My friend died recently, do you think you could bring him back from the dead?

Given your evident skills in the area

7 years ago

This actually made me laugh. Good one. 

7 years ago

I guess the last book of the hunger games when Prim dies

7 years ago

Oh my... Oh no... oh, there it goes...

My ability to take you seriously...  I fear it may never return...

7 years ago

Same...

Ha, just fucking with ya, Sent.

7 years ago

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. I bawled like an idiot cried in the most manly way possible when Jutta was reading Wehrner's notebook at the end.

7 years ago
Well, it's still on the front page so...this isn't quite necroing is it?

Has anyone read Nimona?
It's a visual novel and it's funny and serious and sad and has a really bittersweet ending.

I REALLY REALLY recommend reading it!

7 years ago

Moby Dick made me cry when I realized that its sentences were the same way Arby's wants you to think their sandwiches are, which made me think of Arbys, which made me sad, and the sadness reminded me of deep-seated personal problems, which saddened the original sadness, which made me die a little bit inside, which reminded me that there was hardly anything left in me still living, which made me cry until the pain went away. Moby Dick is a very sad book now.

7 years ago

You should play MGSV.

7 years ago

You think that's sad? Try reading Prim's death scene! That book taught me to cut deeper again!:D

7 years ago

The Siren. So sweet....

7 years ago

That's a very generic title, and since you didn't bother narrowing it down with an author or link or anything, I'll just assume you mean the 'delicious work of erotica' by that name that was the first search result.

7 years ago

No it's not what you think. And really? I forgot the author's name, but found it: Kiera Cass

Also, what browser are you using? I searched "the siren" and found the book I read, which definitely isn't erotica.

Edit: Actually, just read this book yesterday: "Defy" and "Ignite" by Sarah Larson. Both made me tear up, which is incredibly odd. There wasn't anything to cry about...

7 years ago

Erotica has made me cry before. Have you by any chance read 50 shades of grey?

7 years ago

I know you're not asking me, but no and I dont want to.

7 years ago

I know it may seem disgusting at first, but once you get into it, you won't be able to put it down until you've reread it so much that you memorize every word of it... kinda like the real thing. :P---8

7 years ago

I know you're joking, but don't tell a 14 year old to read 50 Shades, come on.

Though iavatus does have this anecdote he's shared about a friend of his who works in a book store. Apparently the most popular version with older and middle aged women by far is the 'hands free' audio book.

Let that sink in a moment. 

7 years ago

um *sinks in* A friend's father told him to read fifty shades of grey.

7 years ago

Damn, this was a hard one to answer ...

If i remember correctly, the last book that made me cry was Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown, when i was about 13 (4 years ago). I surprisingly can remember the part that made me cry, it was the speech that Carlo Ventresca gave somewhere in the middle of the book. I couldnt recite to you any word of it, but i know that it had something to do with religion, and as the very religious boy that i was, it really seemed to move me a lot, i hope for the better.

Its not that books dont "push" me emotionally anymore, or that that book was the best book ever made, its just that i have changed emotionally. Although movies still do make me cry a lot ... i kinda want to cry for a book again, oddly enough.

7 years ago

This thread is still going? I read Goodnight Mr Tom recently. I'd expect to cry a bit less each time, but it seems that I still tear up every time I read it.

7 years ago

Harry Potter - The Cursed Child