Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

End Master’s Culture Clash Contest

2 years ago
Commended by TharaApples on 12/31/2022 5:01:39 PM

CULTURE CLASH

Deadline: 11:59 PM (EST) December 31st, 2021 (New Year’s Eve)

Reward: You’ll get potential pointless points, potential commendations, potentially featured and potentially out of the SHAME pit if you’re currently in there like the big loser you are.

Culture Clash is the theme though this is mildly flexible depending on what category you actually pick.

At the core, you’ll be writing about a clash of two different cultures. High tech/low tech, different religion, Over/Under toilet paper orientation, etc. If you want more than two cultures clashing (No toilet paper at all), go for it. I don’t give a fuck.

Of course picking something like fantasy where you just got humans vs. orcs or something similar is the easier route. But picking the route of less resistance means you better make it really good.

And yes, once again I don’t want to read fucking Fanfic. Everything else is fine though obviously some categories would be harder to work with than others.

Ideally (and preferably) I want you to write something Historical based to fatten up that category a bit. I know that category isn’t the most popular, but I figure some of you slugs can at least fucking try. Bonus points and more kudos for those that do.

Submitting a historical story also gives you slight leeway on moving away from the theme a bit, but don’t move away from it completely if you actually want to win.

No extra bonuses for Will if he decides to join with a Historical (Or Edutainment) story though, because that would be easy mode for him. (And he’ll probably win anyway)

Also as usual, if I see a “loop back to the beginning” rather than proper endings, I’m throwing you in the SHAME pit immediately.

If you’re joining, post that you are in this thread. Also when you’re done with writing your story, post the link to it in here.

That’s about it for now, unless I think of something else to add or change as needed.

Good luck.

2 years ago
And if you are seriously attempting to win, don't make puzzles.

2 years ago

@PerforatedPenguin

2 years ago
Not yet, nope.

Though saying this probably has no impact on my fate...

2 years ago
I can't believe you fell for that.
Locked.

2 years ago

Peng really was safe until he actually posted in the thread.

2 years ago
Oh.

This may be for the best, I've needed something to get me to write again.

2 years ago
Wait, wait wait.

Maybe I'll have the luck to drag some people down with me if I'm already in

2 years ago

YOO, NEW CONTEST DROPPED?

I'm in.

2 years ago

2 years ago
I'm in.

2 years ago

Locked. 

Fun first post. Assuming you aren't a bot of course. 

2 years ago
Sorry, I wasn't aware I was supposed to tell a joke for my first post.

2 years ago

I wasn't either? Simply complimenting your full send into the site by joining a contest.

2 years ago
Thanks.

I first joined at the tail end of the last contest and didn't have enough time to make something good.

I've been waiting for a new competition to start.

2 years ago

Good luck then. 

2 years ago
If @ericyopy happens to wander by again, this seems the perfect contest for him to get back into things with.

2 years ago

I'll give it a shot; ain't got much to lose.

2 years ago

2 years ago

I'll join. The SHAME pit is as gross as ever, and it is about time I leave it. 

2 years ago

Locked.

2 years ago

Contestants So Far

PerforatedPenguin

WizzyCat

Nightmace

Zweihanderr

EbonVasilis

betaband

Mista_Moose

TheSandman

Cupcakitty_13

Axxius

Abgeofriends

TheChef

FemaleWolverine - SHAME 

Gryphon

WRenby

2 years ago

Count me in.

2 years ago

2 years ago

My finals are over in two days, I probably won't write another historical story but I have a 13 hour flight to grind out something really good. 

2 years ago

Oooo, this seems fun, I might join if I find enough time, I'm a little busy as of rn, but, who knows I might be able to make something! :)

2 years ago

2 years ago

Lol

2 years ago

damn

2 years ago
I would like to try

2 years ago

Cool. Locked

2 years ago

Ah, what the heck. I'm in.

2 years ago

Locked.

2 years ago

Being the History nerd I am and finding myself surrounded by the smell of rotting flesh from this pit I slipped into... This contest seems right up my alley! Wish me luck! :D 

2 years ago

(good luck)

2 years ago

So far this contest looks to be interesting due to a lot of the untested/noob entrants mixed in with a few minor vets (Wizzy and Beta) A more even playing field overall (so far).

Appropriately Ebon's the only "old" vet with more than one featured stories in the past, so he can prove himself in this RETURN of his by trying to beat the chicken soup out of all these noobs.

2 years ago
Sounds fun, but don't enter me in, I have some thinking to do!

(And yes I am a slug, thanks for clarifying)

2 years ago
Oh dear.

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. You post, you're in!

I'm sure this will be good for you.

2 years ago
Oh SH$$

2 years ago
Alright I'm down!

I did not think I would say this but...

2 years ago
If you've got stargirl to help you out I'm sure you'll do fine.

2 years ago
Yah I will tell her to post, (I WILL SAY ITS For SCIENCE) and then LOCKED!

2 years ago
In fact, we can probably waive the usual rule against co authoring for you two if you want to work together on something.

2 years ago
Sure, That would be a better Idea,(other than forcing her to do this on her own)

2 years ago
So, ya I think I will do that...

2 years ago
What I meant is that you two can just work on one big project together if you want, but separate stories you help each other with are fine too.

By the way, you should click the button on top of this thread that says 'Threaded', you want it to say 'Non-threaded' so you can see what specific posts are being replied to more easily.

2 years ago
Yes that works for me! Yes we are willing to both work together. Thank you for the idea!

2 years ago

"Yes we are willing to both work together" 

When did I agree to this? Whatever, I knew something like this was going to happen when Abgeofriends asked me irl about where all the duels were happening and I showed her, lol. I'll work with her, but don't expect anything too great because even though I'm just a little kid with tons of free time, I'm still really busy in the holiday months. 

2 years ago
LOL sorry it was a accident

2 years ago

Sounds fun, but don't enter me in, I have some thinking to do [about my entry]!

2 years ago

Locked lol. Not sure if you were parodying the previous person or actually intended to join, but either way, you're in!

2 years ago

Equal parts of both lol

2 years ago

Well you know how it works around here.

2 years ago
Well, this seems fun :) I'll try to make something good. Count me in!

(Edit - Is there a word limit or a reading time limit or anything like that?)

2 years ago

LOCKED.

(It's probably best to clarify with End Master, but I think there isn't a word limit since I usually submit 100k word storygames for contests lol).

2 years ago

No word limit. There typically never has been for these contests.

2 years ago
Is It just a plain story, Or is It a story game?

2 years ago

Well ideally you're going to have branching in your story, that sort of being the point of the site. Turning in a story without much branching is likely to result in you losing the contest, along with getting a low rating. (Though you still avoid SHAME since you still managed to turn in something)

Now if you're asking if you need to put puzzles/riddles and all that fancy stuff into the story, no you don't. In fact I'm likely to lose interest in the story if you do include such things. (Not necessarily, but that's generally been the case)

2 years ago
Okay, that works for me. Thanks for the clarification!

2 years ago
Never did a branching story before. Fair warning, this might suck

(Edit - I'm sorry, I need to withdraw, something came up. The something being my great uncle is coming from the UK and staying for a couple months, plus one of my parent's friends in had a kid and school and blah, blah, blah)

2 years ago

Cool. One already for the SHAME pit.

2 years ago

Wow, no last-minute 3k long attempt? More CYStian than most veterans, it turns out.

2 years ago

I haven't read it, but somewhat amusing that some random noob just submitted a story that fits the goal of the contest. (Rum Runner's Tale)

2 years ago

To enter any later than this would be mere cowardice on my part.  Put me down for one extremely-rushed entry!

2 years ago

2 years ago

Oh man I wish you could drop out of these

2 years ago

Having fun?

2 years ago

You can, but it'll be a LONG fall.

2 years ago

Of a sort, lol.  I'd planned a story of 70,000-ish words, but real life obligations are going to force me to cut it down significantly.  At least the time crunch should keep the adrenaline pumping, lol.

2 years ago
How's everybody's entry coming along?

Besides Gryphon I mean, I can see the sweat drops from here on that one.

2 years ago

Not that great, but now that we have winter break I think that we can catch up. The only problem is my parents don’t like it when I’m on my computer for long amounts of time so I won't be able to write as much as I want. I think we’ll be able to finish something, but it will most likely be short and with a maximum rating of 4. I hope everyone else is doing well with their contest entries, and hopefully not too many of us fall into the pit of shame this time!

2 years ago
Good luck! As long as you turn in something with choices and grammar you should do okay. I just hope your friend is pulling her weight after volunteering you.

2 years ago
How is everybody's story coming along?

If It makes you feel better star girl and I are SLACKING!!! but we should have a decent story by the deadline. And don't worry. i'm pulling my weight, I average 2,000 words per day.

Well Merry Christmas!! And if you are stressing about this whole thing, just know that your story is probably better than ours -_-

2 years ago
lol

2 years ago
After scrapping 3 ideas, I think I’ve got something that I can work with, now comes the hard part: finding motivation

2 years ago
Not to be your parents or anything but, you're going to fail unless I kick you from the Discord.

2 years ago

I have 10k done out of a planned 50k. Heh.

At the sme time, I have winter break like Stargirl, and even though I have work, it means I'm relatively free from my parents and will be able to grind.

2 years ago
I'll join.

2 years ago

2 years ago

Contestants So Far

PerforatedPenguin - SHAMED

WizzyCat - SHAMED

Nightmace - SHAMED

Zweihanderr - DONE

EbonVasilis - SHAMED

betaband - SHAMED

Mista_Moose - SHAMED

TheSandman - SHAMED

Cupcakitty_13 - DONE

Axxius - DONE

Abgeofriends & stargirl - DONE

TheChef - SHAMED

FemaleWolverine - SHAMED

Gryphon - DONE

WRenby - SHAMED

sadboy23 - SHAMED

2 years ago
I am a newbie but I want to join

2 years ago
Locked, and good luck!

You will have to work fast.

2 years ago
fuck this shit is locked. why can't I still join I bet I can write a story as long as half the people who already entered. I already started writing mine. can I please join end master sir

2 years ago

"Locked" means that you've been entered into the contest, it's just a way of marking your comment so it can't be edited.

2 years ago
oh im stupid I thought him replying locked to everyone who wanted to enter meant the entries were locked but I am happy that is not the case my bad

2 years ago
does he want it to have a mythical aspect or can it all be regular shit that can only happen on earth in our reality

2 years ago
Also how short would my story have to not be to made fun of and exiled from this community

2 years ago

Even without the story you're currently well on your way to being made fun of and exiled.

Actually you're already there for the made fun of part.

Stop spamming the thread and just write your story. Post the link here when you're done and we'll go from there.

2 years ago
If there was a minimum length it would say so in the rules. Just write anything that's decent.

You can DM me if you have any other questions. I don't want you to get banned, you're the only guarantee I don't come in last place.

2 years ago
Omg!

2 years ago

Just a few more days before I SHAME you all.

2 years ago

I'm counting the hours, counting the words, and all I can say is: shit.

2 years ago

Honestly I was more surprised so many joined this one to begin with, so unless everyone suddenly submits something at the last minute (Which is entirely possible) a near if not complete 100% SHAME rate won't be unexpected.

Still, Ebon was certainly full of promises.

2 years ago

I already forgot about Ebon lol. I'll be turning something in last minute, although it'll probably be disappointing

2 years ago
I forgot about Ebon too. Guess I'll have to check later to see who still has the dueling fever.

2 years ago
How strange that Ebon hasn't been online in ten days. All that talk may just come to nothing, what a shame. I'm very surprised.

2 years ago
You have no idea how tempted I am to edit this into an enthusiastic intent to enter.

2 years ago

I think that we can finish ours in time but it will be really rushed and probably not the best. At this point I'm not trying to win, I'm just trying to avoid shame. 

Oh, and just a warning. Some of the paths may not connect with others very well because of the whole co-authoring thing, but it worked out better than I thought it would. 

2 years ago
Just finishing a story at all will get you guys ahead of probably half the entrants, and get you some useful feedback as s starting point for future stories, so don't worry if it's not perfect. Looking forward to reading this one.

2 years ago
personally Star girl and I are probably screwed. One long page after another wont cut it, I guess That I wont be getting any sleep for the next few days. at least It's working out better than I expected. And mizal you said you are exited to read our prompts, but after you see the first page i'm sure your computer will be face down in a trash can but I hope that It's decent, Don't expect too much but I think we are ahead of the rest of the group.(Maybe)

2 years ago
Is it a problem that I haven't started yet?

2 years ago

Nope, not a problem at all. In fact, you shouldn't write anything and just keep procrastinating. I'm sure that will win it for you. 

(I'm way behind too and I'm pretty sure that most of the people won't even submit one so you'll be fine)

2 years ago

Here's the link to my entry:  Diplomat

2 years ago

You're winning so far.

2 years ago

Congratulations to Cupcakitty__13, Axxius, stargirl, abgeofriends, and Zweihanderr on your submissions!

Since people sometimes post their progress, I'll do that here.

Nov 26:  2722

Nov 27:  1764 - 4486

Nov 28:  4403 - 8888

Nov 29:  2196 - 11084

Nov 30:  0

Dec 1:  0

Dec 2:  5442 - 16526

Dec 3:  1152 - 17698

Dec 4:  0

Dec 5:  0

Dec 6:  3336 - 21034

Dec 7:  26

Dec 8 - Dec 20:  (Didn’t write due to outside commitments)

Dec 21:  2543 - 23577

Dec 22 - Dec 25:  (Didn’t write due to being a lazy bum)

Dec 26:  2386 - 25963

Dec 27:  3383 - 29346

Dec 28:  171

Dec 29:  4463 - 33809

Dec 30:  1798 - 35607

EDIT:  Added Zweihanderr, somehow I missed seeing his submission

2 years ago

2 years ago
Congrats on either first or second place!

2 years ago

I should be done by tomorrow hopefully it all works out. Also, I have a quick question. Do we have to worry about copyright issues/plagiarism? I'd hate to get disqualified on a technicality. 

2 years ago

While I'm not the grand arbiter of these things (or even close to it), as long as you're not copypasting shit, then you're probably fine. We have a whole fanfic category after all.

2 years ago

There's no site rule against anything like that as long as it's made clear what the source material is, but EndMaster did specifically request no fanfiction on this contest

2 years ago

this is a great question to ask right on the eve of the deadline 

2 years ago

Here is my Entry! :D https://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-christmas-crossing 

2 years ago

Ok hold up I didn't do the link right let me figure that out. Ok, I need help how do you link the game?

2 years ago

Ok, I got it now Here it is! The Christmas Crossing. :D

2 years ago

Cool. With 3 entries this is officially enough for a contest.

The rest of you need not bother turning in anything and can just head straight to the SHAME pit when the time comes.

2 years ago

2 years ago

I had no Idea that I would ever be entered into one of Endmaster's competitions, It was really fun and totally worth accidentally entering myself in. I would like to thank stargirl for accepting the challenge, she was a true savior in my eyes. I hope you can see the amount of effort put into it, and how much we approved. Best wishes to the last minute folks, and goodnight.

2 years ago

Gonna go ahead and apologize for this one. Thought I could at least get some feedback for submitting.

2 years ago

That's time, and the rest are SHAMED!

2 years ago

When will we get the results?

2 years ago

Uncharacteristically I just finished reading all of them already (or at least as much as I was going to read).

I'll probably be posting the results soon.