Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

The Damned and the SHAMED

6 months ago
Commended by Sherbet on 10/20/2023 3:29:19 PM
(art by MadHattersDaughter)
Well it's spooky season, but you'd hardly know it around here the way the undead are shambling down the streets like always. You lot in the pit of eternal SHAME are really bringing the property values down though, so I'm doing you this favor. Prompt: Haunted Deadline: November 2nd, 11:59pm CST November 5th, 11:59pm CST WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 8th 11:59pm CST, the final extension!! Yes, you get only two weeks. I don't see any reason why anyone needs more procrastination time, I know none of you will even start the first week. This will also be the only time of year the wall between the dead and living is thin enough that those of you TRIPLE SHAMED or, somehow, worse, (@TheChef, you know who you are) can pull yourselves out of the pit without admin permission to enter. And no it doesn't have to be a horror story necessarily, other interpretations of the word or more lighthearted hauntings are welcome too. Take something like Edithe Zilonis for instance.

6 months ago

Do you have to be shamed to enter?

6 months ago
The original idea was for them only, but I don't see any reason to limit it. Just take care you don't wind up feeding the pit, the idea is to make the numbers less.

6 months ago

I have yet to fail. If nothing else, it's probably an easy win- considering those who enter (if any) will either flake or put together a shitstorm last minute, according to the stats

6 months ago

Don't phone it in, you won't win if you do.

6 months ago

I said that before Typecat joined. I'm no longer so cocky.

6 months ago
I guess I'll just mention as well that if you finished your game before the 31st and wanted a wider audience, there's always the Ectocomp.

They even have a category for games made in 4 hours, and games in Spanish. Don't bother if you're not making a sincere effort though. The last time I tried to get anyone interested, one guy turned in some trolling bullshit that was more incomprehensible and cringe than funny (he's dead now), and Dark aborted attempts to see what the Spanish speaking community was like in disgust when he realized he was interacting with South Americans.

6 months ago

I've been wallowing in my own self-imposed shame since my errors of the previous contest, and it's time to make amends. I'm in.

6 months ago

I need a break so I'm in.  Not sure this genre is something Im good at, but hopefully I can do good enough to climb out of the pit.

6 months ago
I'm in. I wanted to write something short anyway

6 months ago

6 months ago
I don't like it in the pit, time to leave.

6 months ago

I'm in

6 months ago
I should have a day or two free to help me crawl out of that pit. Awful chilly in there.

6 months ago
I'm pleased to announce that the winner will receive a 100 point prize, sponsored by Abgeofriends.

So inspired am I by this festive spirit of giving, I'm gonna go ahead and let you all have a three day extension. See you on Sunday!

6 months ago
YES

6 months ago

I am honored to sponsor

6 months ago

Locked. Good luck with your entry!

6 months ago

I'm sponsoring, therefore I'm not writing the story. Please it been a rough week, I've been really sick and I have so much homework to do so I actually can't. 

6 months ago
i want to be in, but im wondering how to enter in my story?

6 months ago

Based on what I saw from the last event I think they will post a thread for people to submit their story links once it is closer to the deadline date. Though this could however change, so any admin go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Ps- No I'm not joining this event. I am focused on one story I started and wish to get at least to the fifth chapter before I join any events. I'm currently on chapter two which is exciting! I will be revising chapter one at a later date however.

But to the rest have fun and I give you all the best on the event!!!

6 months ago

can I still join to try to escape the pit?

6 months ago
Go for it.

Plenty of time.

5 months ago

here it is, in all its last-minute glory

5 months ago
Last minute? You're the first entry. It's so tempting to just call it and give you the win.

6 months ago
Hey can I join, I just created an account 5 mins ago because I wanted to join a friend :)

6 months ago

Locked, good luck with your entree

5 months ago
Finished! (I forgot to post the link): https://chooseyourstory.com/story/isaac's-sacrifice

6 months ago
Uh, one more 24 hour extension I guess. Let's hope the stragglers can make good use of it.

And also there's just no use in anyone who procrastinated long enough to kill themselves getting a subpar entry in Sunday night, when I definitely can't read them then and they can procrastinate a little longer and kill themselves over a subpar entry Monday night instead.

6 months ago
forgot this lol

6 months ago

Ah nice.  Thanks Mizal! 

I've been down in the pit awhile and I need a little more time to pack up all my junk before moving back out topside.  

5 months ago
New deadline: Wednesday 11:59pm CST.

Don't expect me to ever do this for you again, you guys are just lucky I'm poor and need overtime monies.

5 months ago

Oh when this is done, give me a list of everyone who turned something in so I can take them out of the SHAME pit since I haven't been paying attention to any of this.

5 months ago
It's okay, I don't think anyone else has either.

5 months ago
All those who have turned something in:
- crystalpenguin
- Petros
- Kurageyann
- Zake
- DBNB
- fresh_out_the_oven
- TypewriterCat

Those who failed to submit anything:
- Ford
- Cyclonis
- Yummyfood
- CavusRex (rip)

5 months ago

5 months ago

Man, you turned this in early and scared me into thinking I got my days all mixed up.

5 months ago
Understandable. It is the first time I've turned anything in early in my life

5 months ago

Almost every time there is a contest, I'm inspired to try and write an overly ambitious storygame. Every time that happens, I don't announce intent to enter, so I don't get shamed. So, in a way, I should be TRIPLE SHAMED+++ (if this loop hole wasn't allowed, anyway).

But that's right, I wrote a thing! https://chooseyourstory.com/story/hues-of-infection!

I'll resist the temptation to write an essay on the process, what I've learned, what I think of the storygame, what I'd do different, and all that jazz.

Instead, I'll only say that if you encounter bugs feel free to drop it -- but also feel free to send me a message sharing the page title. Potential bugs are visible %s, text reference to choices you didn't do, dead end pages [where link restrictions have faulty logic causing a softlock], etc. I'm still publishing because bugs are very haunting, so it makes the story fit the theme better (I also fixed some of the big ones, but I can't say I done enough testing).

5 months ago
I surrender.

I've identified a real problem with getting excited about story ideas and then not following through past the first chunk or two of writing I do on them.

I like to think I'll still finish this one since I was proud of the mystery I came up with and the way of discovering it, but it won't be for the contest.

5 months ago
Currently past 4000 words. Even scaling down I probably won't make it properly complete so I'll publish whatever's ready at deadline in an hour.

5 months ago

Well good luck

5 months ago

My entry such as it is:

Just Another Saturday Night

5 months ago

holy fuck I should've actually written this when I had time. Why did I ever say this would be easy??? I'm deeply sorry. I have learned my lesson and gained some much-needed humility. This is a piece of trash. I just don't want SHAME; that's all I ask.

"My Possessions"

5 months ago

I'm done, and a full fifty seconds before the deadline at that.

5 months ago

I got fucked by not starting a game on the website and instead writing it all in a google doc to then compile it today. Good job me *facepalms*

5 months ago

Lol, yeah that's happened to people before.

Usually writing it off the site and copy/pasta over is still a good idea, just usually create the story on the site a few days ahead of time so you can publish without the waiting period after you've transferred everything over.

5 months ago
Yeah would've done that if I knew. I wrote Nautilus in the same way only I first created a blank game to dick about with the editor to test and later used it to copy paste over.

Eh I guess if that doesn't count I'll just finish and fix it up at a later date and then release it. Nothing wrong with another middling puddle of meh produced on negative amounts of sleep.

5 months ago
The usual ruling here is that you're not SHAMED, but not eligible to win either.

5 months ago
Personally I'd get mad if I got double shamed because somebody put that weird restriction in. As it stands I'll take it as a could be worse.

5 months ago
IIRC it was 3J, and it was a necessary restriction to stem the tide of 8 year olds spending 20 minutes per Warrior Cats fanfic.

5 months ago
Pretty good showing overall--but not by the chronically SHAMED that this was supposed to help, those guys still suck.

I'd honestly meant to not let the failures be further cast down, this was supposed to be about taking people out of the pit. But when you get an extra week and still do nothing with it, go fuck yourselves honestly.

For the rest of you, congrats on managing an entry. I just got home and will be settling down to read them. None of them look too annoyingly long so I should have a decision by tomorrow.

5 months ago

Well I liked Legend. I vote that one wins.

5 months ago
I'm giving myself an extension.

5 months ago
A winner has been selected, but I'm actually going to withhold the results until more of vote in the Thunderdome threads. Checkmate, bitches.

5 months ago
inb4 everybody votes on thunderdome within the hour and you have to do a bunch of reading

5 months ago
Well, one entry has already been unpublished for low ratings. But I think it isn't spoilers to say that that one was not my choice.

Honestly holding the results hostage would've been funnier in one of the bigger contests where half the entries are unfinished panicked placeholders the author can't wait to yank back down.

But the Thunderdome entries also represent a good amount of effort done in a very short time frame that would take only minutes to read. Really sucks for those authors that they were submitted during one of the general forum slumps around here, but I'm not budging on this.

5 months ago

Capital M

5 months ago

please

5 months ago
I guess I'll end this later today.

Maybe.

5 months ago
I will probably definitely do this tomorrow!

You guys realize you don't need my verdict to go and read the games yourselves though right?