Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

SUMMER READING COMPETITION

2 months ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/1/2024 4:41:07 PM
Hear ye, Hear ye. Would you like a trophy? A brand-new shiny award signifying your general awesomeness? A symbol of recognition to draw fresh admiration from your fans and envy from your friends? An icon of eternal glory in miniature, but still epic, form? Well, look no further than this SUMMER READING COMPETITION! In this SUMMER READING COMPETITION, you have three months, from 1 July to 31 September, to read and review as many stories as your hectic lifestyle will permit. The winner will be the person who gets the most comments featured by the Overlords who run this site (which will also earn you more Commendations and Points) during these three months. The person with the most commended comments come October will be awarded my happy-face trophy and the First, Second and Third place winners will also receive generous point bonuses. Everyone who takes part will inevitably benefit from more points and probably more commendations as well. You have nothing to lose but this opportunity to read a lot of great stories (and scathingly dissect the not-so-great) and perfect the art of smart and enjoyable reviews - unlike writing competitions there is no entry fee of points here! Just comment on this post if you’re interested in giving it a shot, read and comment as much as you can and in October, I’ll count up how many comments each person in this thread got commended and announce the winners for universal admiration and praise. No Pit of Shame here either, though there is an Abyss of Apathy I suppose... I would guess going for the stories with fewer comments and few or no featured comments would be the easiest way to get recognized and commended and the Admins will be on the lookout for worthy comments to feature. Give it a go and try posting a few comments, you might be surprised by all the commendations and points you get! Best of all, every person who has written a story or who writes a story this summer will benefit too by getting more feedback so join in the competition and help make things better for everyone! Even if you don’t win, every little helps and who knows? You might surprise yourself! :) Mod edit: Progress tracking thread here, all participants must keep a tally of their featured comments. Additionally we now have a rule: for a review to be valid for this, the game if it's not at least a 5/8 in length, needs an author that's alive enough to have at least logged in in the past four years. We're not giving out rewards for spewing your thoughts on the dregs of 2014 to the empty air.

2 months ago

Compared to the Review Competition this certainly has a bigger prize pool, aha. Trophies are serious business! Still, reading is hard.

Procrastinating writing by reading, and procrastinating reading by writing, might be a good approach to take by those in the contest.

I think if I manage two featured reviews I might have a shot at first, second, or third (but happy to be proven wrong, aha).

2 months ago

Alright I guess I'll do my part for the community.

2 months ago

Here to cash in for my second throphy

2 months ago

Here to stop Darius from getting his second throphy

2 months ago

I hope Petros will kill you

2 months ago

...in a coin-toss murder story? 

2 months ago

I will do ten thorough reviews; don't think that anyone else will do this much. 

one month ago

This aged like milk

2 months ago
Good start, in, in and in. Bouncing between reading and writing sounds like a plan :D

2 months ago
Great to see so much participation :)

2 months ago
There might be an additional prizes if I see some real effort put in and you guys making a real competition of this.

That does mean we'll be paying enough attention that you can't just copy and paste the "masterful as always" meme review or a variation, and if you try to churn through a bunch of 3/8 length games from 2013, you'll find out you're not as smooth as you think you are.

2 months ago
But the problem with churning through 2013 is how would the mods know that you even did a review? I assume for a chance that your review gets noticed, and therefore commed, you'd have to review games that someone will actually see. Unless the mods have a button to see recent reviews placed or something.

2 months ago

The mods are godlike and omniscient. They know.

2 months ago

I agree with ya there, DB. 

2 months ago

Reviews are your duty as a citizen of CYStia. You should be lucky the powers at be reward anything for something such a reviewing stories on a story driven community.

2 months ago

The man speaks wisdom. Hear, hear! 

2 months ago
Endmaster presses this button every time he visits your mom.

2 months ago

0_0

Miss Mizal, you terrify me..... 0_0

...And I mean that in the most respectful way possible...

2 months ago
This sounds like a lot of fun, I'm in.

2 months ago

Count me in for this one! Always happy to sign on for more reading.

2 months ago

I might as well do something with my summer outside of working. I'll give it a go.

2 months ago

Sign me up as well.

2 months ago

I will try this "reading" thing.

2 months ago

Oh that's right... You can't 'read' :P

2 months ago

I guess since I've already been making comments in here I will sign up too. Just don't expect me to get much reading done because every second of free time will be poured into the Crisis Contest and the remaining Thunderdome duels. :,)

2 months ago
Those of you participating could make this a lot easier if you made a thread tracking the number of your featured reviews and the actual games.

2 months ago

Okie! I will try and remember that!

(Or I'll have a post count on my profile)

2 months ago

Well maybe this will be incentive to finish reviewing every story below a 4, though I'll be taking breaks and reviewing better stories to preserve sanity and avoid burnout.

2 months ago

Count me in.

2 months ago
Ok doke, so far we’re looking like this:

MODS
Mizal

PARTICIPANTS
Zake
DireRyse
Darius_Conwright
Suranna
MrAce321
DBNB
Ravenic_Virtue
Lallafa
Yummyfood
MiltonManThing
Axxius
Orange
Granolagoth
Beholman44
Petros
Noor
Mystic Warrior
Thfinalevent77

Anyone else interested can throw their hat into the ring at any time 😊

2 months ago

I'm in!

Also I just had a comment featured today after this contest started. Does that count as one?

If not, being featured for the first time is still an accomplishment.

2 months ago
Sure, I think they can be applied retroactively. Added your name to the list.

2 months ago

Congrats!!! :D

2 months ago

Congratulations!

2 months ago
I would also like to participate in this. (^:

2 months ago
Added you :)

2 months ago
I'm in

2 months ago
Added, anyone can join at any time and all their commended reviews since 1 July will be counted :)

2 months ago
So many fresh and exciting new ways to compare bad stories to gruesomely detailed medical misery, looking forward to it.

2 months ago

I'm in.

2 months ago
Added

one month ago

Sounds like a great challenge, I'm in.

Guess there's no better way to start than to post a (hopefully) soon-to-be-featured review of The Reign of Terror

one month ago
Hi Mystic, glad to have you onboard :D I just read your review of Reign of Terror as well, it's really good! I feel like a student having his work analyzed by a uni professor! A lot of detail and really useful feedback.

one month ago
Why not? I've been doing some commenting lately and it seems to be going well, so I'll give it a try and keep doing it.
I usually haven't commented very often on stories on here, but now that I have incentive, I'll do it more often.

one month ago
Great, it's a good thing to do :D

one month ago
In order to keep this organized in a sane way, I've created a tracking thread for people to update with their featured comments: https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-parlor-room/message/30073 Also, not to step on Will's toes with this, but I added a new rule which I will edit into the OP on which games actually qualify for this. Since it seems we may need something stronger than a "suggestion" to avoid the 2/8 garbage from 10-15 years ago, and I don't want this becoming a thing anyone acts like they didn't know at the last second.

one month ago
Heads up: there's a new story with two free spots for featured reviews just published and there's going to be a lot of new stories from End's Crisis Contest soon, so lots of chances to get reviews featured and bag those commendations for the chance to win points and a trophy :D

one month ago
I think we are going to see a lull here as everyone suddenly realizes they need to start their contest story.

one month ago
Mebbe and then a boost in Aug once they're finished :)

one month ago
Nine new story games all ready for people to cover in featured comments :D

one month ago
I listed links in the tracking thread.

So far Darius is the only one that's started in on these. Benholman seems to have thrown in the towel altogether.

Which is too bad because I had really wanted to put those two in a Thunderdome match.

23 days ago
Halfway through the reading competition now :) Mystic Warrior, Darius Conwright and Ben Holman seem to be the frontrunners to win a trophy but still everything to play for. I think the last month might see a sudden surge of reviews :D

23 days ago
There will be points prizes and recognition to anyone who puts in a good effort honestly. I value review contributions even above good writing these days.

23 days ago

That's true. Any healthy writing site should have more consistent readers as opposed to writers. I think it would be cool if you got given more points for a featured comment, although I'm obviously not educated on how the point system works. I feel like you can't get too many readers or too many people reviewing, but I feel like you can have the opposite lol. 

23 days ago
The secret is to consistently do one or two reviews a day, that creates a combo that adds up. 1 point just for rating, 3 for the day's first commendation, and most days the two commendations from a featured review (or definitely the four from two reviews) would give you Avon for the day and give you that additional 10 points.

23 days ago

I'll add that the featured comment itself is worth two points, so that's 16 points in a day for a single review. If you keep it up for a week, assuming no one else competes, that's 112 points.

22 days ago
I am surpised by people who write multiple reviews a day. I mean it takes me a few hours to read most stories in the 20-40k word range, and that's the brunt of it. Writing a review of your thoughts doesn't really take me that long. I pretty much always want to read every word of a story before reviewing it, maybe others just read to an ending and that's how they do it so fast. Or they write reviews of stories they read a long time ago like ben, though I'm not sure if he was lying about that lol. Props to the people who do write reviews, there's nothing better as an author than someone talking about your work, even if it's mostly negative.

11 days ago
I have the opposite problem, I can read through anything pretty quickly but have perpetual focus issues lately that make it very difficult to sit down and rein in my thoughts to type intelligently about the experience in essay form.

I probably should just do more short comments, but people seem to have expectations of me and Sherb that don't extend to the rest of our glorious mod staff.

11 days ago
Its okay mizal! A lot of the time Sherb will read a story but doesn't leave an actual review, and that's fine, but if people are holding you and sherb to a higher standard for whatever reason, i hope that expectation dissipates.

13 days ago
Did Darius win yet?

11 days ago
Mystic is looking likely.

This still is running for another month but there's been a big lull in interest. Maybe people will get their second wind though, it really is a good way to get rewarded a bunch of points even for the ones who don't win but put some effort in. Which would make all the ratings they just gave be given a heavier weight by the site.

11 days ago
I guess ill join too. Id like to have more weighting in my reviews.

11 days ago

Yay! 

I steel ken reed storees

10 days ago
I'm not too worried, it's the end of the holidays / back to school time (I have that slothful feeling too :D). Hopefully people will gee up at a bit at the start of September.

10 days ago

I've mostly been busy with preparing for the next academic year, so it might be a couple of weeks before I can return to reviewing regularly. Maybe I'll try to write reviews on my phone when traveling. Either way, if anyone wants to snatch the first-place spot (though really I prefer you don't), now would be a good time.

10 days ago

Don't mind me snatching it up because I finally have some free time now >:)

9 days ago

I knew you would respond, haha. But don't you have classes starting soon? I have a friend in the Netherlands and she says her new term begins in a week.

9 days ago
I thought Darius was like mid to late 20s...

9 days ago

I'll take it as a compliment that my writing level is on par with someone older than me.

9 days ago

Technically I only have till the end of the week till things get busy again, but I'm mostly already done with the preparations.

9 days ago

I admire the competition here. Reminds me that I need to review some more stories as well. Want to give a decent showing before all of this is over, despite my own busy schedule.

8 days ago

Update: I don't recommend writing a review on your phone in a speeding car, especially if you have car sickness. 

Anyway, it'll be at least 5 days before I can type up reviews on my laptop. I just hope I won't return to see Darius with 50 featured reviews.

6 days ago
Do stay safe, Mystic. Texting and writing reviews while driving is risky behavior!

6 days ago
One month to go and still everything to play for to win that trophy, commendations and points :D Why not try the one-month challenge (read, rate and review a story every day for the month of September), it might give you the edge?

6 days ago

Mystic is built different when it comes to reviews. She can smash out 2 well thought out  reviews at least on the same day, even on lengthy stories. With me, i read the story (slowly, mind you) and then i probably spend about an hour just trying to gather my scattered and disjointed thoughts and feelings on the story, and then take another 40 minutes typing it out in a manner which is actually readable lol 

I dont know how some of them do it, but ill give it my best shot : )

6 days ago
Mystic is incredibly prolific when it comes to reviews (I seem to remember Thara having a competition with her a few years back over who could get the most commendations, or what that someone else?). For me I make notes as I go along but because I find it hard to find the time I just churn out one ok review a day. But if everyone does their best then even if they don't get the top prize (the trophy) they'll stick gets tons of points and probably commendations too :D

6 days ago

That wasn't me, but a member called MinnieKing. Just checked and saw that they once had 23 featured comments in a day, making all the other achievements on the Avon thread irrelevant lol.

6 days ago

23 featured comments in a day and 0 points lol 

6 days ago
Most of his commendations (and Thara's at that time) came from farming in the old "draw my attention" threads recommending other people's comments for featuring after the featuring system went in.

I think they were both doing the thing of writing reviews in secret and then spamming them all at once to get one over on each other, but you'll notice all of Minnie's in that last bunch are on 2/8 length games or less, and many that are now unpublished.

6 days ago

I noticed my order status has changed from 'warden' to 'warden of avon'. Does the status change occur once you reach a certain amount of commendations or? 

6 days ago
Of avon is granted to the member who had the highest amount of comms at the end of every day. It makes your name bold and the color of all your ordermates' usernames red.

6 days ago

My method is similar to Darius' and Will's where I take notes as I read each storygame. I found that to save time, I could just write the review while I read, however I leave the parts about the overall theme, character arcs and plotline for when I finish the storygame. Sometimes I still write disorganized draft notes when feeling tired and organize them later.

Honestly, after reviewing so many storygames, I notice some of them have similar elements where they succeed or fail. At one point, I copy pasted the same paragraph on formatting dialogue for three different reviews but I changed the examples to be specific to each (because it felt too much like cheating otherwise).

6 days ago
Yes let's all pretend like Mystic hasn't been sitting on 51 emergency backup reviews since day 1 just so she can tactical strike anyone who approaches her at the finish line.

6 days ago

Shhh don't tell them.