Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

2024 Summer Reading Comp Progress Tracker

one month ago
Use of this thread is mandatory for all participents if you want your participation to be counted. I need you each to make a post, in which you keep a tally of the number of comments you've had featured, and include links to the games themselves for verification. (This would be any comment you've had featured since July 1st, regardless of when you actually joined.) Make sure not to edit lock anyone else's post, or your own. Also, since it seems it will be needed, instating a rule going forward that in order for your comment to count towards this, the game must be either be a minimum of 5/8 in length, or have an author that's at least logged in since someone in Wuhan ate the wrong raccoon dog. @Zake @DireRyse @Darius_Conwright @Suranna @MrAce321 @DBNB @Ravenic_Virtue @Lallafa @Yummyfood @MiltonManThing @Axxius @Orange @Granolagoth @benholman44 @Petros @Noor @Mystic_Warrior @Thfinalevent77

one month ago

one month ago

Due to the rule set, the number of featured comments from 1st of July until now: 1 (prior to the criteria set on length or author login)

A Magical Tail  written by adventurer

I didn't realize I had two featured comments though I think one of them was counted by mistake (the featured comment on Zombie Apocalypse was on June not July so it doesn't count. Though I have recently had two comments featured so:

1. The Siberian written by Yummyfood (great potential, would love to read it's final version in the future)
  2.  Blow Your House Down written by Bill Ingersoll (I'm going to try reading and reviewing the new entries before reading the big list of his works. So far I've enjoyed both this one and the sci-fi "Eyes on a Moon of Blindness").

Blood in the King's Court written by Orange

The End of Creation written by hetero_malk 

Working on (Darius's advice on having Microsoft Word open when reading to take notes, has been helping a lot in keeping things organized and writing reviews):

1. Slaying the Scourge written by MiltonManThing - this review is taking more than it should due to some research I'm making on the Huns and Western Empire in general. Tbh one complaint/criticism: If you are going to use roman administration titles, at least explain them for the average reader.

2. Emperor's Fireworks written by PerforatedPenguin - this one is half-done. Will come back to it after finishing the first review

one month ago
Commended by Mizal on 7/13/2024 12:37:12 PM

The Leaderboard

︵‿✧ Oasis of Overachievers ✧‿︵

🥇 Mystic_Warrior: 45
🥈 Darius_Conwright: 23
🥉 Benholman44: 17

𖠰 Forests of Frontrunners 𖠰

MiltonManThing: 7

Mrcrimsonclean: 6

Noor: 5

ᨒ Mountains of Mediocrity ᨒ

DireRyse: 3
Thfinalevent77: 3
Yummyfood: 3
Granolagoth: 2
Stargirl: 2
Zake: 2
RyboiTheLegend: 1
Suranna: 1

꩜ ‏Abyss of Apathy ꩜

Axxius: 0
DBNB: 0
Lallafa: 0
MrAce321: 0
Orange: 0
Petros: 0
Ravenic_Virtue: 0

﹖Unregistered ﹖

GeniusPancake: 2
Sent: 1
Thara: 1

Last edited: 4/9

(To Will and the mods, feel free to edit this leaderboard. And for any non-mod interested, the easiest way to spy on the competition is through the about us page, where you can see the recent comms for each order)

one month ago
Thanks Mystic, this is really helpful and using the About Us page to track Commendations is a smart idea (I was clicking each member's name individually and checking their commendations...). It looks like the field is still wide open for people to win those commendations :D

one month ago

No worries! It'll be very inconvenient to have to click through all the different profiles at the end lol.

one month ago
Oh, I didn't intend to disqualify any previous reviews, just going forward, you guys are gonna have to have some standards lol.

And just to note, it says 5/8 length OR (not "and") an author that's logged in in the last few years.

one month ago

Alright, I'll add the past reviews to the leaderboard too.

one month ago
@Thfinalevent77

You don't have to worry about making proper links if you don't know how, just copy and paste the URL.

6 days ago
I think Mystic is looking pretty strong here, though Darius is doing very well. BenHolman seems to have vanished but MiltonManThing, Noor and MrCrimsonClean are all doing fairly well. I think this competition is still open for anyone to hit the ground running in September and get reading and reviewing. :)

one month ago

one month ago
My comments.
1:
https://chooseyourstory.com/story/Ruins_of_Anzar
https://chooseyourstory.com/story/The_Christmas_Crossing
3:
https://chooseyourstory.com/story/camp-massacre~3a-1990
Thirth time's the charm, hopefully.

one month ago

The review list: reviews I made. I'll just be reviewing the latest I haven't read yet. I'll avoid featured stories though, since I'm pretty sure that they will get plenty of comments in the future. 

Edit: For the sake of my own sanity, I'll compile a list of reviews I'll do. If you have any requests, I'll make sure to add them to the list! After I'm done with my list, I won't be doing any reviews anymore. Man, if someone is crazy enough to type even more reviews than that, then I'll give up. You can have that trophy. You know, if each review is about 1.000 words, that person would have typed 35.000 words, the length of a friggin novella. 

1. Revenge on the river God

2. Gatekeepers of boredom

3. The boy who would be duke 

4. Where the clouds want to go - 

5. Halloween Fright 

6. Avarga 

7.A hill to die on

8. drive

9. The Penguin Without Feet

10. The Lord of The Rings: The Sundered Kingdom - 

11.A Prayer for Destruction - 

12. The end of creation - 

13. Emperor's Fireworks 

14/ The Fury of the forest - 

15. End of the World as You Know It -

16. Cradle & Cane -

17. Slaying the Scourge - 

18. Mute - 

19. Blood in the King's Court - 

20. Escape Velocity -

21. Gunslinger - 

22. The village that was - 

23. Diplomat - DONE

THE LIST

23. The Schmorps

24. Planet Mopper

25. Siren

26. Safe

27. The Hand with the knife

28. Equator City

29. Polaris

30. Reborn

31. The Grand Pharaoh's Tomb

32. The Red Church

34. El Paso

35. Project Anafubala

one month ago

I will kill everyone who dares to steal my trophy.

one month ago

I'm right behind you my guy.

EDIT: Bust out the hacksaw and trash bags, cause my count is, at this time, in the lead.

one month ago

Oh you wouldn't for long my dude. I will catch up to you faster than you are yeeted in the shame pit.

one month ago

Ngl. I did enjoy your review of my oldest story. The only dispute I want to make is plenty of established writers use caps lock to show screaming.

one month ago
That new Lord of the Rings one could really use more attention.

one month ago

Halloween Fright by benholman44 

It's admittedly low quality, as this was when I was first starting out as a writer. Better than some of the stories on here, but it's still rated lower than my more recent story you reviewed. 

If you'd like to review it though, go right ahead.

one month ago

Did it :)

one month ago

Reviews written:

1. How to Bring an End to Things?

2. Mute

one month ago
Nothin so far Currently Reviewing: One Story Please Open to story requests, I can edit this post even if you edit lock me. For this contest I would like the stories I read to have less than 3 featured comments and I'll take suggestions on which ones to rate, but can't guarrentee anything because I only plan to read things that are in my comfort zone. I fear if I force myself to read things for the sake of just writing a review, the review will turn out bland. I do plan to read your story Milton, sorry it's taken so long. I'll probally do it at some point during this contest, but if not I will for sure sometime before the diabeties takes me out. I don't typically read historical stuff, so I'm waiting for a certain mood to strike so I can ensure that I give the story the chance it deserves. And one day, at some point, I will read Cels story. But prob not during this contest since it has 3 featured reviews. E: Just realized Darius beat me to the 3rd review on that story, so I'll read Milton's story sometime after the contest.

one month ago

I actually would prefer if you reviewed the Duke of Winslow since that was my most ambitious one so far. The lack of feedback makes me a bit sad.

Btw. I don't think you should read Cell's story unless you are very very into sister fucking.

one month ago
Yeah I do plan to, that story actually seems really interesting. A lot of stories on the site are impressive because someone here went through the effort to make them, but the premise isn't something I'd buy off a bookshelf. But Duke of Winslow is something I'd buy. Another story like that on the site that I'd like to read for the same reason is In Moonlit Waters. I'm currently learning Mandarin and am taking a gap year to study it in Taiwan for 10 months through some goverment program, so it really strikes me as something cool I'm not sure if I'll review Duke of Winslow during the contest, however, due to its length. But maybe I'll get around to it. I guess it depends on how far I go with the contest and how many games there are that interest me and are short, like one story please. As for Cell's game, I do need to read that sometime before the heat death of the universe lol. Think I promised him like 2 years ago I would.

one month ago

I'd certainly appreciate the read for my story, but there's no pressure or rush. There are other, older stories on the site that do need and deserve more attention. Hope your studies go well.

one month ago
On the Home Page there is a Top Five Storygames in Need box which shows stories with few ratings and reviews. It's updated regularly so this could be a good place to target to try to get featured reviews :)

one month ago
I believe those are the storygames closest to 50 ratings, where then they will be properly ranked for their year. Of course, those that can get close to 50 are usually good stories as well.

one month ago

one month ago

one month ago

Didn't realize I already had 2:

Music Murder

The Quest for Pegasus

The Foreigner

I shall begin following the new rules set forth by Mizal. No more clicking random!

one month ago
Someone's putting in a lot of effort! :D

one month ago

Uh Will? You just locked my post from further edits. I do appreciate the feedback and will continue my tally here.

Featured comments: 17 (see above)

A Hunted and Haunted Halloween

DRIVE

Dog Day

Through Time

De Milite Inprudente

Hunting the Ripper

Avarga

Finished reviews:

Uneasy Lies the Head

The Penguin Without Feet

Solstice

Imagination

American Outlaws: The Wild Bunch

American Outlaws: The Dillinger Gang

Winter, After The Harvest

The Schmorps

one month ago

14 July 2024
Featured comments: 0

one month ago

Comments featured so far: 1

Lord of The Rings: The Sundered Kingdom Commended 7/14/24

one month ago
@benholman44 how tf have you read so many stories today?

one month ago

I'm a fast reader and a lot of these stories I've already read.

The rules don't say I can only review stories I've never gone through before, after all.

Although to keep it interesting and avoid preconceived notions, some of them are ones I've never read before. Even the ones I have, I've used this contest as an opportunity to look at them with a more critical eye, and notice things I didn't before.

one month ago

However, I AM quick at reading. I can and have read a 700  page novel in a timespan of 12 hours before.

Of the 6 stories I've read today, only two of them I'd read previously. And I still had to create detailed reviews which took time and thought.

In short, I'm a LOT better at reading than I am writing.

one month ago

I can relate. Not being the type to usually leave reviews on stuff I read around here (3 reviews and more than 10 storygames read and rated, not counting the stories I read before creating an account). Good luck on getting the trophy, though Darius will come for your head if the previous reply is to be considered seriously.

Now that I'm finally finished with the hell called diploma thesis, I'll try to put some serious effort to writing reviews on the games I previously rated so I can try to increase the quality of the reviews.

one month ago

Honestly that's the strategy I'm employing. And it does work. Another helpful tip is to find stories that have less than three featured reviews, so that you're not competing with others. 

Stay away from EndMaster's stories, he may be my favorite author, but his featured comments are novels in their own right. You could complete 3-5 featured comments on other stories in the time it would take you to write a featured comment for his.

one month ago

Just for that, I'm going to read and write a review for one of EndMaster's stories. That's more in the spirit of this competition than staying away from an author's stories just because the other reviews are long.

one month ago

Perhaps I will do that too. The Innkeeper is my favorite story and my childhood favorite. I think my previous review didn't make the cut, so it is time for a better one to replace it. 

one month ago

And thank you as well

one month ago

Your story was genuinely something I enjoyed reading. I again didn't expect much coming into it, but yours did make my day. There were lots of clever things added. If it were fully finished and retained the same quality, I have no doubts that it could have been featured. 

one month ago

It was definitely not completed and the ending was rushed for the deadline. I will be working on the second part of the story after the Crisis Competition. Stay tuned for the next episode.

one month ago

On a separate note, thank you for reviewing my story. I got a little heated in my last comment because I felt that your comment was strange. I do feel like we should be giving attention to every author on this site without the need for recognition. I, myself, know that I'm not reviewing as many stories as I should, and it is good that you are pushing yourself to give a lot of stories here attention. I would still urge you as well to review at least one of EndMaster's stories whether or not you get the recognition from it. Hope there's no hard feelings.

one month ago

You're totally fine. I actually applaud you for your stance, cause it did inspire me to end up reviewing one of his stories that I tend to ignore because it's different than most of his others. Because of this, I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. 

Thank you!

one month ago

It's a pity that I can't do that due to my abysmal memory. For stories that were very memorable to me, I would have written a review once I have read it. Furthermore, if I were to read stories purely to review them, I read them at a slower pace as I'm constantly churning out notes and stuff. 

I will have more time in August to type up things so be prepared.

one month ago

I look forward to reading them 

one month ago
I love how this contest and not the main one is turning out to be the REAL crisis event. Factions are forming and blood will be shed.

one month ago

You should throw Holman and Darius in the Thunderdome.  

Two men enter, one man leaves.

one month ago

I'm down with it, but I will be kinda busy these next two weeks. So this fight will have to take place in August.

Ben, you are a very lucky guy since my track record with the Thunderdome is very very bad. So the odds are in your favor. Then again, it would be kinda sad if you were to lose to a non native English speaker.

one month ago
Definitely will be scheduling that lol, it's sure to be a glorious slap fight.

one month ago

Imma go ahead and read the thunderdome threads before I decide. I'd be up for it though

one month ago

Read the Thunderdomes. I'm down. In August is totally fine. My question is,  Also... if they're supposed to be sent to Darius, and I'm competing against Darius, isn't that kind of a conflict of interest? Any chance mine and his entries could be sent to Mizal to post anonymously or something?

one month ago

Most lately are sent to Mizal, and especially when Darius is competing.

btw - you should vote in the current duel.  It is your duty as a cystian

one month ago

On it. That's ThunderDome 13, correct?

one month ago

Wizzy vs Raven - 13 was big and had brackets

one month ago

Welp, I fucked it up slightly by replying to the first story, instead of where Mizal told us to vote. But other than that, did my job. And yeah, it was CLEARLY story B

one month ago
Got a total case of the brain worms and accidentally posted my review on The Ghost People before it was completely finished. Could it please be deleted so I can re-comment with the full review? Or should I just make another comment on the game with the bit I missed?

one month ago
Got it.

Usually we'll notice a duplicate review and just delete the first one anyhow.

one month ago
Noted. Thank you! :^)

one month ago
@stargirl

Since you're writing reviews, why not join up?

one month ago

Oh, I didn't even see this. Might as well. 

one month ago

Crisis list

one month ago
Blood in the King's Court The End of Creation Emperor's Fireworks Mute End of the World as You Know It Escape Velocity Slaying the Scourge Cradle & Cane The Fury of the Forest Let the Crisis reviews commence! Actually really happy looking over all of these, for once a contest where a third of the entries aren't half assed keyboard vomit getting yanked down the second the judging is done. Meaning they are also safe for you guys to review without it being a waste of your time.

Crisis list

one month ago

I missread "the fury of the forest" For "the furry of the forest" Thinking wild blue had written some kind of mocking comedy.

Overall though they all have cool sounding plot lines, I'll try and review them all. 

Crisis list

one month ago

Just reviewed mute! It's pretty good actually, I liked it. Just very short and maybe a bit rushed In all routes. The romance path is the best path. think I'll do escape velocity next. 

one month ago

As it's now the second month of the contest, I've created a new and improved leaderboard! (Link for easier access).

Those of you in the Abyss of Apathy and Mountains of Mediocrity should really write a few more reviews. Think of the Abyss as lowercase shame. 

29 days ago
I've just seen this, it looks fantastic :D Thanks a lot!

28 days ago

No problem, I just hope it'll incentivize others to write more reviews :)

one month ago
To make the massive leap from Unregistered to the Mountains of Mediocrity, I'll join the competition.

29 days ago
Go for it!

23 days ago
Reached the halfway mark for the reading competition now - 45 days left to go! :D

12 days ago
I feel like Ravanic is still in this one...

10 days ago

9 days ago
There's been two new games put up in the last couple of days that could use some attention. One of them features JohnX going on a training montage with Brad and then just casually breaking the default editor's spine into pieces.