WatchNon-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Message

Find out what's been changing with the site lately.

EPIC Contest - The Contest to Rule Them All

14 days ago
So you think you have what it takes to step into the ranks of EndMaster, BerkaZerka, and Sir William Smiley? Well, here's your chance to earn that glory. It's time to step out of the shadows of the gods. Enter the gauntlet, battle the site's rising star writers, and climb to new heights among the pantheon!

Theme: EPIC

Format: CYOA

Deadline: Monday, September 24th at 12:01am EST

Focus:

This contest has one goal and one goal only: to produce a TOP 10 caliber story for the site. Go big, go hard, or go shrivel in the graveyard at Infinite Story. The genre and guiding theme of the contest is largely open, but the story must be EPIC. Traditional EPIC genres are strongly encouraged. Fan Fiction and Parodies are not eligible for entry. Think grandeur, heroism, and because we are an inclusive people over here at CYS, villainy. Now is the time to bring your long awaited masterpiece to life.

Note, this is not a contest for everyone. There are strict length, quality, and update requirements for this contest. These requirements are in place for two reasons: (1) to keep out the riff-raff, and (2) to help you stay on track with your writing goals. But because of the high stakes and the perfection demanded - this will undoubtedly be the king contest of bragging rights.

Requirements:

- You must have at least one story rated 5.00 or higher on CYS to enter normally

- If you do not have at least one story rated 5.00 or higher on CYS, you may enter by PMing me a detailed plot synopsis and outline to show that you have put due effort and thought into your entry

- Your entry fee will be 300 points regardless of how you enter

- You will have to provide mandatory updates on your progress according to the schedule provided below. You will suffer an additional 50 point penalty for every mandated update you do not report or fail to make good faith progress.

- Your entry must be either 60,000 words or an 8/8 in length (latter can theoretically be achieved in less than 60,000 words in a script heavy story)

Timeline for Mandatory Updates: All dates are the last day possible to get credit for the update.

- Sunday, June 17: Update #1 on plot synopsis, genre, theme, setting, and main characters

- Sunday, July 1: Update #2 on story progress and any issues in the writing process

- Sunday, July 15: Update #3 on story progress and what you like most about your story so far

- Sunday, August 5: Update #4 on story progress and what part of the story has been most difficult to tackle

- Sunday, August 26: Update #5 on story progress and how you've managed to stay motivated

- Sunday, September 9: Update #6 on story progress and editing plans

Rewards and Prizes:

The winner will receive the ultimate bragging rights of CYS contests.

First place 250 points, Second place 150 points, Third place 50 points - For people who like points

Possibility of multiple featured stories, depending on quality and category. Plus the 100 point featured-story bonus, in addition to the placement prize, for people who like points.

For completing all updates, making good faith progress, and submitting a qualifying entry, 50 points.

Additional Notes:

The deadline is the deadline. There will be no extensions. Make your storygame in the editor well in advance, as the site requires the game be made 48 before it can be published. To be a qualifying entry, the story must be PUBLISHED by the deadline. In addition to point rewards, you'll get your entry fee back.

We're looking for strong characterization, solid imagery, well thought out and exciting plots, quality prose, and polished grammar in the final product.

Any stories that fail to meet minimum site guidelines are not deemed qualifying entries and subject to SHAME.

No co-authors, but beta-readers are strongly encouraged. If you would like to volunteer as a beta reader, please feel free to advertise your services here. Anyone who utilizes a beta reader should write a note of thanks in the storygame description. Beta readers may be eligible for bonus points.

We don't necessarily want a high number of entrants in this contest because we only want people who are committed to finishing a high quality product. But we will need 5 entries to give point bonuses for everyone in the top three.

Recruitment & Potential Interested Parties:

@Ogre11 ; @insanebutvain ; @Orange ; @mizal ; @ebonvasilis ; @steve24833 ; @Romulus ; @Azbaz ; @donteatpoop ; @ericyopy ; @ugilick ; @Will11 ; @chris113022

14 days ago
A note on planning: You have approximately 15 weeks. I strongly recommend using week one for planning, and the final week exclusively for editing. If you do this, you can easily surpass 60,000 words in 13 weeks by writing 1,000 words a day for five days a week.

Proper planning and setting/tracking goals will be important for your success.

14 days ago

While I am certainly interested in the contest and will be paying a lot of attention, I can't actually partake in it. Plus, as we can see, the list of potential enemies is now non-existant given my only possible foe, Ebon, lost to, and this is true, Wibbons and Coins, of all people. Plus, I'm already 50k into a sci-fi epic, and normally I'm pretty busy in the Summers and really wouldn't be able to find the time. 

Never the less, it seems like a very interesting contest, and I'll happily be paying attention and whatever else. Best of luck to the various writers, hopefully some have a few interesting topics.

14 days ago
That's an awful lot of rules...

There didn't appear to be an entry deadline. Can we assume the entry deadline coincides with the first update due date?

14 days ago

1. Don't officially join the contest.

2. Write an epic in secret.

3. Announce that you wish to join three days before the deadline.

4. Publish your story

5. ???

6. PROFIT!

14 days ago
Yeah.

14 days ago
And some other questions:

Last dates are listed for updates and credits. Is there a start date? Or can I provide all those updates today?

What about major changes? If I provide a few updates on a story, but then decide that story is crap, can I start over part-way through and provide new updates accordingly? Or will that disqualify the story?

14 days ago
No, you can't do all the updates at once. That would defeat the purpose. Do your update before the current deadline, but after the previous deadline.

If you need to gut the story, then you need to gut the story. Hopefully, if you run into issues, other members may be able to help you find a way to work around them so that you can avoid gutting the entire thing. I'm hoping the updates serve both to keep people motivated and provide insight and feedback from members of the community.

14 days ago
And can I withdraw at any time after declaring entrance due to CYS being dumb?

14 days ago
Well, if CYS legitimately dies, I guess that means the contest is cancelled and Infinite Story wins.

13 days ago
I'm not talking about the entire site disappearing, there's just days the damn site is so slow it just annoys me to no end.

14 days ago
WOOOOOO LETS GET IT ON.

Mark me down

14 days ago
First onto the field.

14 days ago

Joining just to kick @Digit 's ass.

14 days ago
We’ll see about it pussy

14 days ago

Good luck getting out of negative points when I bury your story.

14 days ago

I, the great and righteous Corgi will enter the EPIC Contest, with a story of EPIC proportions.

Fellow contestants, prepare to be obliterated by the might of my doggy chain and woof!

14 days ago
Corgi has sent a plot synopsis and outline, establishing his entry requirement.

14 days ago
Is there a deadline for intent to enter?

14 days ago
We'll go with the deadline for first update.

14 days ago
@BradinDvorak

14 days ago
Are mandatory updates in public motivation threads, PMs to Bucky, or whatever we want?

14 days ago
Public threads in Writing Workshop

14 days ago

Participants so far:

Chris113022

Corgi213

Digit (Took out 150 Loan)

EbonVasilis

ericyopy

Fluxion (Took out 130 Loan)

Mizal

SpartacustheGreat

TheNewIAP

14 days ago

I will easily crush those fools

14 days ago

I'll join. 

14 days ago

I do not meet entry requirements as my only published story has a 4.7.

I'll consider whether I want to enter via the pm back door.

I was otherwise absolutely stoked for this contest.

14 days ago
Well if you can't be bothered to write a description of a story you would like to write then you definitely can't be bothered to write an actual story either. (and you would also fail the first update requirement anyhow.)

Ugilick I thought you were cool, but no, actually I guess you might actually be just the sort of slovenly riff-raff the judges desire to keep out. Sad!

Excuses are for the weak (like Ebon and Steve) and this is a contest for the STRONG.

13 days ago

Well, at least you used to think I was cool Mizal.

I would have probably entered yesterday, but I couldn't. I've been trying to figure what I would want to write. I'll have to set my current project aside, which I don't want to do. I also don't want to whip up an outline and enter, then hate what I'm working on.

So we'll see what I do.

13 days ago
Yeah, that's where I am now -- I have an idea that could work, but I'm not super-excited about it, so I'm trying to decide if I should go that direction and force myself to actually flesh-out and finish the story, knowing I'm not that excited about it, or find another story that is more exciting and figure that one out... of course the newer idea might not be as exciting, either, and then I'm simply in ultra-perpetual procrastination mode (where I truly excel, mind you), and nothing ever gets written...

So I'm leaning towards taking the idea I've got working, knowing it isn't perfect, and knowing I'm not real excited about it, and hoping the contest with the deadlines will help me push through it (and my procrastination).

13 days ago

I've got two ideas. One is based on a campaign setting for when I host D&D.

One issue I'm hitting is its being an epic contest. I prefer smaller personal stories usually.

Does anyone know what category a western would fall into on this site?

13 days ago
Categories are really just for fun, so wherever you want. It could be sci-fi if you go with a steampunk-ish affair. It could be school-based if it was a western school. Maybe edutainment if there are attempts to use real historical characters, etc. I'd think if you went straight western, like a Boot Hill setting, you'd end up in Everything Else.

As for story ideas, I can see where a D&D campaign setting could really lend itself well to a CYOA story. Heck, you could end up with more of a interaction fiction exploration type storygame as well, or a storygame that follows the different characters and different character POVs through the adventure and story line. Good potential for an epic story, of course, if you ask me.

13 days ago

Depends on how you write the story, I guess. I think we're still lacking a category where historical stuff really fits in, so 'everything else' might eventually be the best fit. Unless you're adding sci-fi/fantasy, horror, or educational elements. 

13 days ago

Thanks Romulus, Ogre, that's what I figured. I don't know of any Westerns on here, so there isn't a precedent for it.
My intent was for a grounded dusty western, but where to setting was not the actual American Wild West, but a wholly fictional setting. My thoughts there wandered to what might replace the role of "Natives."

That's the only place anything fantastic might factory in, if the natives to that area were not strictly human.

13 days ago
Makes sense, I mean arguably the real life natives weren't either.

14 days ago

I did not expect the EPIC contest to arrive so soon and I am extremely stoked however I am pretty sure I cringed when I saw that I only had 291 points. Only 9 away from the entry fee. I will go rate a few storygames real quick and come back when I meet the minimum.

14 days ago
I bumped it up because BZ has a nice theme that would fit well in the fall.

13 days ago
Yep! ^v^

And this keeps the high quality stories coming, which has definitely been a boon for CYS in comparison to past years.

13 days ago
Wait, wait, wait! There was nothing in the rules about this story having to be high quality, too! It just has to be epic... ;)

13 days ago
One Warrior Cat Story to Rule Them All! I mean, theoretically, it has to be possible, right?

13 days ago
One epic warrior cat story, coming right up!

13 days ago

Ohhh, you caught me...actually...
Fanfic isn't qualified for Bucky's contest. He demands better.

13 days ago
The world is not ready.

13 days ago
Most fanfic can be easily altered into an original concept.

14 days ago

Alright, I caught up on points. Time to announce myself into the contest,

Put me in, time to write like today is the last day on earth.

14 days ago
Will contest "loans" be allowed? I'm short 130 points. However, I do have a story currently rated 5.69.

14 days ago

Sure I'm giving out loans! How much do you need?

14 days ago
If I get some credit I'd be -130 in the hole.

14 days ago
I don't see a significant difference between 170 points and -130, they're both about equally pathetic.

14 days ago

Hell, might as well take out a 500 loan right?

So how much did you want Flux?

13 days ago
130. Enough to participate in this contest.

13 days ago
Somehow I don’t think End is the sort of money shark to even have small print showing the 2000% APR rate and obligatory soul you’re signing away

Goodbye Flux.

13 days ago
He must be new here.

13 days ago
Did I just sell my soul?

13 days ago

Yes, you very much just did.

13 days ago

On the upside, there's a(n albeit very slim) chance that you'll get it back if you win this contest.

13 days ago
Isn't there like a forum Jesus I can pray to or something?

13 days ago
Only dark gods here, sorry, and Endmaster would be the main one.

That said, don't worry my child, you've guaranteed yourself an eternity with him. :)

12 days ago

There used to be better gods that occasionally roamed these forums, but the final one was let down by Ford during one of the previous contests.

13 days ago
Go through and rate a bunch of short storygames. I got 200 points in a night doing that.

14 days ago
Okay I was stumbling around in too much of a sleep deprived haze last night to really reply but yes obviously I want in on this. Going to have to switch gears from my other epic but I hadn't made as much progress on that as I liked anyhow and a contest would be just the motivation I need.

Although, holy shit, a contest designed in such a way that I can't just half ass my way into a win in the eleventh hour, I feel so attacked! He even put the deadline on my birthday, making it clear that this is personal.

Anyway I'm incredibly stoked about this, not just for my story but to see what other people produce, who succeeds and can't hack it and who is too timid to even try and so on. I've never managed to complete a story bigger than 30k. I've identified 25k or so as the place where I always start running out of enthusiasm for a project, so it will be a good challenge having to force myself over that hurdle. Writing at a steady pace will definitely be key so I'll have to get back into the habit of that instead of my usual thing of binge writing on the weekends to make up for doing fuck all the rest of the week.

Getting over the finish line with a quality 60k story will be an accomplishment to be proud of for anyone and regardless of who wins this really will separate the serious writers from the pretenders.

It might also be worth pointing out that in the fantasy category, the obvious targets that a feature-worthy contest entry will be taking out are the stories by that smug puritan Ebon and that obnoxious drunken degenerate Steve. That's surely got to be a motivator for someone.

@Bucky also I would like to sweeten the pot with the offer of a $50 Amazon card for the first place winner, assuming you're in a country where you can use Amazon and assuming it's not me.

14 days ago
Seth used to give out $25 cards to the winners before he needed to scrape every penny he had together to pay for expensive medical things. I'll leave that between you and the winner, but I'm sure whoever it is will be very grateful. The youth of the day really do like things.

Coins, this means you better hold off any plans on moving to North Korea.

Also, I think it's something relevant to note - anyone who aspires to write a novel someday, if you complete this contest, I would say that it's a very good showing that you can take the next step and attempt to successfully tackle that goal. The contest will certainly have you tuned in and well practiced in your writing.

13 days ago
It's due on your birthday? I smell a setup here...

But indeed, a story of that length with any sort of quality will be an accomplishment for anyone who manages to meet the all requirements and submit an entry for this contest. I am very curious to see how many actual complete entries will make it.

13 days ago

Thats the spirit Mizal!  Crack those fingers and get writing!

13 days ago

I might actually join this one, since I have an idea for a story that I've been meaning to write for ages. And I remembered I vomited 10k words on paper in one evening in one of the last contests I joined. Will probably decide somewhere next week whether I have time to also actually write a decent story.

13 days ago
If it makes any difference, there's a fair number of us who would really like to see you enter.

13 days ago
I want @ISentinelPenguinI to throwdown.

13 days ago
Saw @pugpup1 was on just a few days ago. Maybe this mysterious and silent individual has more than just really freaking good out of nowhere ballads in him.

I'd really like to see @Zake get involved in this in some capacity too, even if it's just offering people feedback.

13 days ago

I, too, would like to see myself get involved in this in some capacity. However, I first got to catch up with reading all(/most of) the threads first, since I haven't been online for a few days.

I will say tho, this contest does looks interesting, so good luck to all.

13 days ago
I'm assuming @Leora will also be entering, she said she wrote 110k for the last one in like barely over a month, and that was while in the middle of a bunch of other things so this should be a piece of cake.

13 days ago
Well @Leora ? We're waiting... you only have a week to decide...

And where's @Orange ? I think you could really pull one of these off if you wanted to.

13 days ago
My story is a 4.97... 0.3 away from meeting requirements.

13 days ago
I just checked, and it's a 5.01. Besides, even if it wasn't, you could still enter.

13 days ago
Oh, cool! The ratings have gone up since last night. I suppose I could PM in a synopsis anyway. I'll brainstorm ideas and see if it'll work out.

I'd also likely have to postpone the other story to focus on this one if I enter. I still need to format things and put them into the editor, and I've got at least 20 more pages before it's finished.

11 days ago
So how's it going @Leora ?

Are you jumping in this one?

11 days ago
I might. I have a 5 page synopsis for the first path, still on 1 page for the second. (I build my synopses by writing out the plot in a sentence, then a paragraph, then 1 page, then 5. It helps me build on events and details and keep everything cohesive). After that I'll make some character profiles and decide if it is a good enough idea for 60k+ words of work.

13 days ago
You guys that don't feel like you're up to submitting a complete plot synopsis yet also have the option of just cranking out a quick storygame this weekend don't forget.

13 days ago
We need to post complete (or at least well-developed) planning by the entry date anyway, right?

13 days ago
You need:

Sunday, June 17: Update #1 on plot synopsis, genre, theme, setting, and main characters

That's the last day to enter, and the last day you can post that update, so that's what you need to do by when to get fully committed and entered as I read it.

13 days ago
Yup ^_^ I came to the same conclusion.

11 days ago
How specific do we need to be? I don’t want to read a story when I know exactly what’s going to happen, so I don’t really want to spoil everything for mine either (since I’m sure at least one or two people will actually read all of these carefully). Nor do I want everyone else spoiling their stories for me. Just an opinion, of course, but knowing the whole story ruins the fun.

11 days ago
There are already a few threads up if you need examples.

11 days ago
Ah, good. I think one or two went into more detail than I will, but some just gave a general setting and synopsis, and character profiles. Enough information to show you’re working, but few spoilers.

11 days ago

I had the same concern. What I'm piddling with relies on mystery at points.

11 days ago
Think in terms of the back cover of a book: reveal the story without telling the ending.

13 days ago
I will enter as soon as Bucky okay's my plot idea.

13 days ago
Very cool! Good luck with the contest!

13 days ago
Thanks! Now I just have to write this behemoth. Well, unless I have to start over and redo the whole idea.

13 days ago
I knew you could do it IAP!

And locked! lol

13 days ago
Good boy, that wasn't so hard now was it? With your good writing and my great proofreading, you will surely win!

13 days ago
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I promise to do my very best.

13 days ago
Affirmed.

13 days ago

How detailed does the plot synopsis have to be? 

13 days ago
Enough to show you thought this through.

13 days ago

Happy to beta-read any and all entries (at whatever level of completion). I can assure you that my notes will be prompt and thorough. As to quality, check out my commended reviews and/or the recent feedback I got from donteatpoop. Good luck everyone!

13 days ago
Can affirm. DEP was very impressed with his feedback. I recommend cowbell to anyone looking for a beta.

12 days ago

i'm fuckin trippin on mushrooms rn, and having massive difficulties but ill ebter sounds good man 

12 days ago
....I think this counts as entering? Cool welcome aboard! I hope you remember this later.

12 days ago
I hope he believes that demon fairies snuck in and used his computer to sign him up for all sorts of crap like deviant porn, contests, spam, etc.

12 days ago
Welcome to the fray.

12 days ago

I mean, I guess this is also a way to get new story ideas. Would it be an idea to just write your whole story while on shrooms?

12 days ago

Honestly, a quarter of a gram could be interesting. But I was at a gram and a half with super low tolerance there, so I was Not OkTM to do much other than stare at the ceiling lol 

12 days ago

Sweet. I smell redemption. 

First things first: @Steve24833 Even if you did enter you’d get destroyed. 

Secondly: I’m entering and will put forth my utmost effort into this contest to make up for past failures. 

Thirdly: @WouldntItBeNice I challenge you to enter this contest, so I can once and for all prove that I’m the better writer. Since, for some reason, people are under the impression that lack of effort is equivalent to lack of skill or talent. 

Fourthly: I wish all contestants the best of luck. This contest is going to be a fun one.

12 days ago

Wibbons is too crushed by his defeat in the last contest, so he isn't joining.

However, coins is in this contest so you might want to redeem yourself against him.

12 days ago
Pretty sure we made ourselves clear on the fact that lack of effort is hundreds of time worse than lack of skill. But welcome aboard, the word count at least shouldn't be an issue for you.

Agreed that Steve needs to join, he ought to be able to write a 60k story in two weeks yet for some reason is afraid to.

12 days ago

I meant equivalent as in that people seem to think, or act, as if they are one and the same. Not that one was worse or better than the other.

12 days ago
If you enter a race and then when the whistle blows wander off to make a sandwich and never attempt to run it, you still lose the race even if it's the damn Special Olympics and every one who crossed the finish line no matter how badly they did still beat you, there no getting around that.

12 days ago

Oh, I know I lost. No argument there. 

I would still like Wibbons to come and try to prove that he can do it twice. This time, of course, without myself getting distracted by a sandwich. @WouldntItBeNice

12 days ago

I mean, I probably could, yeah, but I don't have time. I'm gone for most of the Summer, and don't see the need to take away from my other work to do so. I'll leave the petty squabbles and losing to Coins for you guys.

12 days ago

Dude, you lost to Coins. So you've lost all possible chances to gloat. As decided in the lair, with all the gloating you did only to lose to, and I can't stress this enough, fucking Coins, you have no leg to stand on.

12 days ago
Really this all wouldn't have been nearly as funny if not for all the preemptive smugness.

12 days ago

It'd also be way less funny if Coins wasn't in the contest. Losing to Wibbons or someone is so less pathetic.

11 days ago
As I said two months ago, two weeks ago and two days ago, I'm not entering this (exciting and very fun to watch) contest. I even told you that you'd better beat me when you have the chance. Heck, I've entered 8 contests during my time on the site, so I probably should start slowing down. Also, I can't enter because I asked EM to ban me if I enter this one (because I've often entered contests after saying I won't enter them too many times).

Anyway, I don't know if I could handle something of 60k length. NGE was shorter, and it was way too hard to manage. As for EM, I'm not crushed. I just do all of my bitching in the first ~48 hours to get it all out of my system. I'm cool now. :)

Lastly, I could do some beta reading for you if you'd want, @EbonVasilis . Just because I'm not in this one (btw, thanks Bucky for hosting another one, especially with all of these new rules to help encourage a higher quality), doesn't mean I won't try to help out with the output.

11 days ago
@Reverencia should join, I always like his stuff if I can ever get to in in the eight second window before he takes it down.

10 days ago

Updating the list

Participants so far:

AzBaz

BenCrucifix

Chris113022

Corgi213

EbonVasilis

ericyopy

insanebutvain

Malkalack

Mizal

Ogre11

Romulus

SpartacustheGreat

TheNewIAP

ugilick

10 days ago
I don't think @Romulus affirmatively joined. But he should.

10 days ago
He made a thread, I think that counts.

10 days ago

Yeah, I hoped that was clear enough that I wanted to join. But I guess I'm hereby confirming it!

10 days ago
My bad, hadn’t seen it yet.

10 days ago
I'll try to smash something out I guess. :)

10 days ago
Such a confident entry!

10 days ago
I'm actually really conflicted about whether to enter this contest. I really really want to because the theme is cracking and has potential for stories worth reading. At the same time, I'm currently working on creating a map for my current WIP, which I think will take at least a month.

However, most of my WIP will be set in a fantasy world (hence the map), and while it wouldn't be fair to use that story for a contest entry (and I couldn't finish it in 3 months anyway), I was thinking I might write a sequel set in the future, following the effects of one of my plotted epilogues. This would help me flesh out the world a little more and create questions that will be answered in my overarching project.

I don't know, I might try to see how writing a beginning goes and post it.

10 days ago
I realize I've been telling basically everyone to enter but I think you should go for it. You're one of the ones that have successfully finished a game of almost this length before, now imagine if you had twice the time and a full month to polish it.

I'm really interested in what the final turn out will be on this but also just see it as a great thing for the way it may push people beyond what they previously thought themselves capable of and teach a lot of planning/organizing/general stick-to-itivness that will be useful in other projects going forward. And Bucky was absolutely right about anyone who completes this being able to know for a fact they could go on to write a novel with ease.

9 days ago
Yeah, I reckon I can do 60,000 in 3 months pretty easily- and Frameshift was 100,000 in 2 months (I will republish that one day- it's basically finished but ugh). Got a bad habit of using more script that I intend. Not too sure how much of it I want to be game and whether that would clash with the predominantly narrative focus of the game.

Same, this is the most interesting contest I've been here for so far, props to Bucky for the theme!

9 days ago
Uh, didn’t actually enter, but looks like I’ve been forced to fork over 300 at scythe point. Tbh, fuck it, I officially enter

Good luck everyone!

6 days ago
Good luck!

9 days ago

After spending several hours playing through a hundred or so of the shorter games on here to get my point count to 300, and sweet talking Bucky to excuse my <5.00 score game, I can announce my entry into the competition.

9 days ago
Welcome aboard!

I never see you on the forum so you've probably got being much more effective at managing free time as an edge over us all.

9 days ago

A former contest winner no less! Good luck! :-)

9 days ago

That's probably less due to effective time management and more due to me forgetting about this site for months at a time before remembering the story I've been working on and returning to work on a page or two, but I'll remain optimistic.

9 days ago
Very cool! Good luck with the writing and the contest!

8 days ago
So @Leora how many thousands more words are you going to write in your story before you commit to entering the contest?

6 days ago
What's wrong with taking a detailed approach to outlining? I used to make much simpler outlines, or just get an idea and start writing, but I'd either get lost or stuck or lose interest. Besides, if I decide to take on something so big, I'd rather be sure I know what I'm doing.Last time I made the mistake of taking on more than I can handle, and I'd rather not repeat that.

6 days ago
Yes, certainly.

So....

Ya in? Ya out?

6 days ago
Most likely out. Tempting as it is, I don't think I'm prepared to take on something like this right now. I'm very excited to see the results though ^_^

6 days ago
Your last entry was really good. I wonder how much better you'd do if the stakes were that high!

6 days ago
I never said there was anything wrong with it. I'm the most vocally pro-outline person here.

Since you won't be entering, could we see a link to that 5 page synopsis you wrote of the first part? (And I assume you did more in the meantime?) I'm curious about what you had planned and why you thought it wouldn't work.

6 days ago
Sure ^_^

It's in word, but I'll copy it to a google doc once I get home from work.

6 days ago
Ok, count me in. I'm not going for the win, I'm just hoping the contest and the deadlines will help me complete a more epic-length story here. It's challenging with longer stories (IMO), but we'll see what I can do.

6 days ago

I will be submitting an official plot synopsis and outline of concepts tonight in my attempt to enter the contest.

Edit 6 hours later: That's it. Fingers Crossed.

6 days ago
He’s in.

5 days ago
Welcome to the contest!

6 days ago

How many contestants are we sitting at now?

5 days ago

Updating the list

Participants so far:

AzBaz

BenCrucifix

Chris113022

Corgi213

EbonVasilis (Bet for 754 points: Story must do better than Mizal's)

ericyopy

insanebutvain

Malkalack (Missed 1 update)

Mizal (Bet for 754 points: Story must do better than Ebon's)

Ogre11

Romulus

SpartacustheGreat

TheNewIAP

ugilick

3 days ago
Note for later:

Participants who failed Update #1

@Malkalack

3 days ago

"Bucky can eat my ass with his faggot updates." - Malk

(That's the message he wanted to relay)

3 days ago
Hey, he’s the one who signed up.

3 days ago
He's going to take you to court to try and prove he was not in a state of mind to give consent at the time he joined.

2 days ago
End likes to make deals. He should talk to him.

2 days ago

Honestly, I want to see if Malk can pull off a complete disrespect for the rules (And "The Man") by ignoring ALL the updates.

If he does that AND wins first place. He doesn't’t lose any points and unlocks a special Che Guevara achievement, on top of all the rewards he’ll get for winning the contest.

Obviously if he fails, then he doesn't get shit and loses everything. Might still get the Nat Turner achievement though.

2 days ago
I'm not quite sure how you can win a contest without following the rules. If there's a race and I take a shortcut and finish before everyone else, I don't win, I get disqualified...

2 days ago
There's nothing about missing updates that would disqualify anyone from winning though?

2 days ago
Except for the part that says "Requirements... You will have to provide mandatory updates on your progress."

If you can ignore that one, then you can literally write anything without any limits and still "win."

2 days ago

Interesting point.

Let's look at it: that rule does come with a built in measure for when and if an update is missed. As such, despite the word "mandatory" being in use it is clearly implied that missing an update does not disqualify a story's eligibility, but does incur a penalty. Other rules appear to be base requirements for the story itself, whereas the update rule appears to be an additional expectation, rather than mere suggestion, for the writer.

There were several "mandatory" school projects I never did. I was penalized, exactly as much as I was told I would be, but it didn't disqualify me from passing the class. As there was no stated additional repercussion for missing consecutive, or even all, updates, as a true stickler for the rules, I don't see a problem with it.

2 days ago
Right, not sure what the point would be of having penalties for every skipped update if missing just one has already disqualified him.

Or where would the line be drawn here? Skipping five out of six updates is OK but all of them is not? On an entry that otherwise is legitimately the best entry, even? That seems arbitrary and pointless compared to just taking away the penalties already listed.

2 days ago
Certainly it's Bucky's contest and he can interpret his own rules how he likes. I imagine he will eventually weigh in here with a ruling because indeed, this does seem a bit confusing. Then again, with all contests here "rules" are more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules...

2 days ago
Call me a word-lawyer or what you will, but obviously, uglick, whoever told you those projects were mandatory simply lied to you. They were not mandatory in any way, shape, or form. That's not what that word means.

2 days ago

If they were really "mandatory," in that sense, as I pointed out, there wouldn't be a specification "for each update missed." As missing one would disqualify the work, rather than just incur a penalty as specified. I prefer language to be used denotatively, but that doesn't appear to be what we have an example of here.

I actually find this kind of discourse very interesting, so I hope you aren't getting the wrong idea. I'm not here to fuss.

2 days ago

It’s up to Bucky (and Malk to some degree). He just mentioned Malk making a deal with me, that’s the deal.

Either that or Malk takes the penalty and falls in line for the next updates, or he doesn’t and just keeps losing points with no possible reward for his behavior.

2 days ago
For the sake of sanity, how is this even in the least bit confusing?

The updates are mandatory: adjective - (2) pertaining to, of the nature of, or containing a command

You cannot ignore the update requirement without incurring a penalty. The penalty is clearly identified. You lose points for every missed update. Missing one update disqualifies you from receiving the entry bonus that you can attain by making all updates and submitting a valid and timely entry. Regardless, you still continue to incur additional penalties for every update you miss.

Just because the penalty isn't a bar from entry does not make the updates any less "mandatory." There is a penalty for failure to comply.

---

I'd laugh regardless of the outcome if Malk takes that bargain.

2 days ago
Taking points isn't enough- I say we take his right hand.

yesterday

Only a pound of flesh will do.

yesterday
Uh, you're gonna want to make sure he washes it really, really good first.