Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing Exercises Restart

8 years ago

So, I've talked about this on the forums before-- I've been thinking of restarting the writing exercises (originally hosted by Morgan_R) that I hosted a while back. Because the writing exercises rely on a tagging list to make sure no one misses a week, and because I want to know if it's worth doing... how many of you would like to participate?

For those of you that didn't see or participate in them in the past, the general idea is that a set of assignments is given (nothing too insane), one per day, for each week day. I tended to use themes for each week, like... "movie monsters" or "five-man-band character tropes" or "emotions." It would be open to everyone to join at any point in the weeks as it was before. 

My intent was to give new writers a chance to cut their teeth on something less formal and intensive than writing a game, give more experienced writer's a chance to sharpen their skills / push their limits, and there would be feedback to help everyone involved improve. So, any takers?

Example assignment from past weeks:

"Create an alternate universe like ours, but change one thing about it. It can be silly, it can serious, you can make it dark and disturbing, negative or positive, whatever you please. Explain to us what you've changed and how that one thing effects daily life.

Bonus: write a scene about a character from our world crossing into theirs and experiencing the change."

8 years ago

bad timing?

8 years ago

I think I'll give it a shot this time :)

I don't have too much free time and life's a bit crazy atm but it'd be good to have something to anchor me back into writing as I never seem to do any these days. I'll try not to miss a day but as things are v uncertain atm I can't promise anything. How many weeks do these writing exercises go on for again?

8 years ago

:)

Don't worry too much about missing days, though. It's an open thing. People can join and leave at any time. Right now, I'm just gaging how many of you actually still want me to do this. As it is, the weeks tend to go on as long as I can stand hosting without burning out my imagination, haha. I need to figure out how many ideas I have left rattling around my head.

8 years ago
Here's your tag list from week eight, so you don't have to go forum diving.  ;)

@31TeV @ecoLyte @TheNewIAP @Ogre11 @SpartacustheGreat @Morgan_R @Swiftstryker @betaband @nmelssx @Sethaniel @Malkalack @Briar_Rose @MatGods @Wolfmist @bjhovey @AWarriorFan @FazzTheMan @Claw2k11 @Romulus @ISentinelPenguinI @GrottyStatute74 @WarriorCatsRPS @Confused @jamescoker1226 @pinkalily21 @NeoTheCreator @jaryeth @DerpBacon @Penworth @Loki

8 years ago

Lol, thank you.

8 years ago
@Kwism1127

Perhaps this might interest you...?

8 years ago

Been too busy with Senior year of classes to really get my writing going. I'll try it!

8 years ago

If I get enough people to participate so I can do this... I'd also like suggestions for exercises. If anyone has any, please post them here. Thank you.

8 years ago

Exercise Idea: Force four characters who hate each other to go on a road trip across the country they live in.

8 years ago
I second SenPen's idea.
Also, I want to try concentrate on my current storygame project, so I won't be joining you guys. I know it would be good for me as a writer, from past experience it takes up too much time for me to write much else. Sorry.

8 years ago

Sounds like a good one, Sen. I can think of a way to make that a week, actually. "Road trip!" is a common genre, might be fun to explore the characters involved.

8 years ago
Any time you run low on ideas, just head over here.

8 years ago

Can't guarantee that I'll do every exercise, as I'm kinda busy at the moment, but I'll join!

8 years ago

This idea is not of the sane mind, just so you know.

Exercise idea: A paragraph or more of being kidnapped or/and tortured in first person of the kidnapper or/and torturer.

8 years ago
You know I'm in!

8 years ago
Sorry, I didn't see this until now, but count me in!

I'll do as many as time will allow.  :)

8 years ago

I can give it a go. 

8 years ago

Ok, so far: Will11, TheNewIAP, Ogre11, Kwism1127, ecoLyte, FazzTheMan, ISentinelPenguinI, Ford, betaband, and galobtter. Anyone else?

Update: 3J has agreed to awarding CYS points to the writer who does the best at the end of each week.

8 years ago

Throw me in! Why not?

8 years ago

=D Great! (Glad to see multiple returning participants, you guys created some really awesome entries...)

8 years ago

I'm in.

8 years ago

=D

8 years ago

I will be awarding 5 points to every writer who completes the weekly challenge to Kiel's satisfaction. If you genuinely participate in every exercise, you will earn these 5 points.

I will be awarding an additional 5 points to an additional writer each week. Kiel's discretion but I'm hoping that it's the person who wrote the best for their skill level.

A couple other rules: Site admins are not eligible for the additional point bonuses. Kiel is not eligible for the additional point bonuses. The additional 5 point bonus can't go to the same writer two weeks in a row.

8 years ago

Awesome, thanks again for the support, 3J.

7 people so far, which is a decent amount to begin with--though I know more people have expressed interest in the past. (If you guys can think of anyone else who you think might be interested, please invite them, the more the merrier.) I intend to start next week, early Monday. I'll be working on assignment themes 'til then.

8 years ago
Here are a couple more that expressed interest in the initial sign-up thread.

@Deathdefender @LeoScales7

8 years ago
@Chris113022 ?

8 years ago

I'm down to do it this time instead of just bitching out.

8 years ago

My first thought at seeing this was "Ok, I'm down for randomly earning points," and then I realized this is what points are for - writing and reviewing, I feel silly now. =P

8 years ago

And community participation...! :D

8 years ago
Hmm...sounds cool. I'm in.

8 years ago

I'm down.

8 years ago

I'll join.

8 years ago

Added you all. Glad to have ya. :D

8 years ago

Sure, why not. This time, I'll actually try to participate.

8 years ago

Sure, I'm in. Probably won't be in every week, but I want to polish my writing skills as they are pretty amateur. I think a challenge like this could really help me.

8 years ago

I'll make an actually good effort, unlike last time.

8 years ago

Just realised I replied to the wrong-ish post, but I'm joining as well!

8 years ago

I'll do what I can.

8 years ago
Add me in! It seems I've completely abandoned my writing in several ways.

8 years ago

Sure, toss me in! I'd love to, although I may not always particiipate on days such as Tuesday and Thursday. But thanks for the notice! ^ _ ^

(I've been noticing how much I'm turning into Briar O.o)

8 years ago

(Briar's a little more passive-aggro.  You're still tame :P)

8 years ago

Like I said, people can come and go as they please. I'm more in this to let people practice their skills, and you're welcome to go back and do stuff at later dates. The only thing you'd miss out on, if you wait / skip on days, is points.

8 years ago

So do when we're given the challenge, do we write it here on the forums?

8 years ago

Yup.  Not necessarily a challenge as an exercise, tho.

8 years ago

Well, if there are points at stake then I think of it as a challenge. But yeah, more of an exercise.

8 years ago

If you want examples from past exercises, here's the first week I hosted: http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/writing-workshop/message/15147

I score mainly based on completion rather than quality, because you're all here to practice, not to write a masterpiece. (I'll also be asking anyone who gives feedback to be as positive as possible.) However, considering you're getting actual CYS points this time around if you do the best out of all the participants ... :P well, I expect effort. (And I usually got it. I was very impressed last time, so I'm really looking forward to this.) 

Any other ideas?

8 years ago

Anyone else have an idea for a exercise or theme?

Any other ideas?

8 years ago

So far, I have four weeks of exercises written down.

Any other ideas?

8 years ago

Invent a fictional game/sport.

Any other ideas?

8 years ago

Made a week from it, thank you~

Any other ideas?

8 years ago
  • Make a fording post (without the tldr's and misleading titles) :D

• A fiction character in a nonfiction setting

• Describe what you think CYS members look like, and what you think their occupation in life is

That's all I got.

Any other ideas?

8 years ago

Themes: Sci-fi but with a twist ripped straight out of an M. Night Shyamalan movie, historical fiction but WITH A TWIST, or modern fiction BUT WITH A TWI- Yeah, you get it.

Exercises: I got nothin'.

8 years ago

@Kiel_Farren

I tagged you just in case...

But yes, I will rejoin the exercises. It's been too long, and I want to write for fun again!

8 years ago

Got it.

8 years ago

Will the exercises begin next week or at a later time?

8 years ago

Monday. :) I've got 8 weeks worth of ideas now. (>_> I do not promise that all of them sound sane.)

8 years ago

Perfect!

But who said they needed to be sane? It wouldn't be any fun if they were mild...

8 years ago
Go easy on the insanity, my brain only expands so far...

8 years ago

I promise not to explode anyone's brains.

8 years ago

I want to try this.

8 years ago

k!

8 years ago

I'll join.

8 years ago

Glad to have you aboard, then.

8 years ago

I'll join. I need ideas for stuff to write for my two creative writing classes.

Also what about a myth or legend theme? One could be create a mythical monster: bonus write a scene about someone encountering on.

8 years ago

This looks like it could be fun/ interesting. I'll join.

8 years ago

Got'cha.

8 years ago
I would like to join. You forgot about me, but eh, I'm here now /-\

8 years ago

I was deliberately not tagging people. I posted and waited for responses. xD I do appreciate IAP's effort to help, I just wanted to ask as a "open to everyone, who wants it?" thing rather than making anyone (even those previously eager) feel obligated to join on the chance that they no longer could / wanted to. xD

That said, I'm thrilled that you still wanna. I will add you right now. =D

8 years ago
Well..I sort of almost forgot about this (didn't see it until now) so tagging me would've helped, but..yeah. xD I see where you're coming from. I'd feel bad if I couldn't join anymore and had sort of ish promised to take part.