WatchNon-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Message

Find out what's been changing with the site lately.

BZ's Creatures of the Night Contest!

22 days ago

BZ's

Creatures of the Night Contest!

Theme: Non-Human Protagonists, Darkness, Hunger, Insanity.

Format: CYOA

Deadline: November 1st at 0000 hrs Eastern Standard Time

Focus:

The primary focus of the plot and/or setting must involve playing a Non-Human protagonist of some kind. What that particular Creature of the Night does in the game is up to the author, but the above themes of Darkness, Hunger, and Insanity (or dwindling sanity/humanity) should be felt in the reading.

Entry Requirements & Prizes:

You must formally declare intent to enter the contest in this thread, as there is a point entry fee. Hopefully, this will motivate people to finish and reward those who honor their commitments

People can choose to enter the contest for 25, 50, 75, 100, or 125 points. Upon entering, those points will be deducted from your total. Upon submitting a contest story which meets minimum contest standards, you will get either 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 points back (depending on how much they entered for).

1st Place Winner will get a PDF Copy of the Vampire the Masquerade 5th Edition roleplaying game, in addition to 100 points for winning the contest, my Glorious Mustache Trophy, a Commendation, and a Featured Story if it's good enough to merit featuring.

2nd Place Winner will get an additionally 50 points and a possible Commendation, if it's good enough to merit one.

3rd Place Winner will get an additionally 25 points and a possible Commendation, if it's good enough to merit one.

If you do not submit a contest story which meets minimum contest standards by the deadline, you will not receive any rewards or points back.

To eliminate any possible confusion, the first number is your entry fee, and the second would be your reward. And this is just for submitting an acceptable entry. The Winners will receive additional points on top of their initial reward.

25 -> 30

50 -> 60

75 -> 90

100 -> 120

125 -> 150

Recap: Stories will not be valid entries unless the site member formally announces his or her intent to enter the contest in this thread with the amount of points he or she wishes to stake.

* See EndMaster for rules regarding your service to him if your entry sends you into negative points.

* Stories that cannot meet minimum site standards count the same as a non entry and get SHAME.

* One entry per site member. No alternate accounts.

Judging:

The judging panel will consist of Moderators/Administrators and selected highly esteemed community members that do not wish to enter.

22 days ago
Come one, come all - Your ticket Out-O-Shame has arrived!

Open to all - Members/Admin alike!

No minimum word count, no epic slog, no weakly update requirement. Just slap something down in the editor, pray it meets minimum site standards, and you are golden!

Sweet Sweet Redemption at last!

^v^

21 days ago

Okay, I'm in. I bet 25 points, it's probably the only one I can afford anyway. But could someone tell me, what happens if you don't finish in time?

21 days ago

If you didn't submit anything or your storygame didn't meet minimum site standards then you are SHAMED.

21 days ago

What happens then?

21 days ago

¯\_( ' - ' )_/¯

21 days ago

Your soul is forfeit

20 days ago

Um...okay.

21 days ago
Don't worry! As worthless noob trash, you literally have no reputation to lose. You can only improve yourself from here...unless you are in fact one of those unique and special people we sometimes get who start at rock bottom and then immediately begin digging down.

21 days ago

Like me!!!

17 days ago

Well, I have nothing to lose, especially if I write a short but compelling one. I'll toss in 25 points. 

15 days ago
Is this the only way to get out of shame, or will any story publishing do?

15 days ago
Has to be a contest entry.

I suppose you can always wait for the next one, but I'd try to get out by the end of the year, we've been talking about having less of them going forward.

15 days ago
Ah, good to know. I have until the 25th to declare, right? Perhaps I'll have an idea by then.

22 days ago
Ah here it is.

Horror is not a strength of mine, I'm going to hold off on joining until I'm sure I have a solid and SHORT concept in mind but I think this will appeal to a lot of people here.

(btw something funky is going on with the red text when this appears in the front page announcements)

22 days ago
Yeah, I saw that text merging together. I think it's handling spacing differently for some reason.

Anyway, this doesn't have to be horror. Just non-human protagonist. The horror themes above, just add bonus elements to help making the judging easier.

22 days ago

I'm joining. Just woke up (7 am here). Betting 75 points unless it's possible to get a point loan in which I'd bet 125.

Edit: I better not regret this. I have an entrance exam next week and a 15 page essay due in two days. I feel like the protagonist of Before Midnight.

22 days ago

Okay, first person already has signed up, let's hope this goes better than last contest.

Contest Participants So Far

Chanbot/Ford (125)

Corgi213 (125)

ericyopy (25)

Jacoder23 (75)

Leora (50)

lordkarstark (25)

LuvLee (75)

Mizal (125)

Samyers0616 (25)

stargazer (25)

Steve24833 (125)

ultraoverlord (25)

WouldntItBeNice (125)

22 days ago

Wow, a theme that isn't open ended or weird to do. Let me whip up 25 points real quick for the bare minimum and LET'S DO THIS.

I will announce my participation officially later because this is a very interesting theme with some good looking outcomes and I promise that this time, I'm actually gonna think of something good and do good. But for now, I will be back.

Let me get back like 5% of the points I lost.

22 days ago

I am throwing in my gauntlet! Put me down for a full 75 points!! Seems fitting for an October contest. I am relatively new on this site, but I accept the challenge. 

22 days ago
When is the deadline to enter?

20 days ago
No Entries will be accepted after October 25th, unless we feel otherwise at the time.

22 days ago

Ok, now I am OFFICIALLY entering the contest with 25 points on the table because I am barely alive in the point department right now. 

22 days ago

I am going to regret this but, put me in for 25 points

22 days ago
Well we're guaranteed at least one true horror story now at least...

2 days ago

19 days have past yet I have nothing.  I am fucked 

2 days ago
I wouldn't start worrying about it until the night before the deadline.

2 days ago
Damn well I'm as disappointed as anyone the judges won't have to read through 20k versions of these.

2 days ago

Pity.

2 days ago
Pity that the judges won't have to read 20k word stories of what Mizal posted, or pity FOR them if they have to?

2 days ago

Either way I won’t be reading anything as usual.

21 days ago

I wish to enter for 25 points

21 days ago
Put me down for max bet. I've got a month, what could go wrong.

21 days ago

The Discord is so helpful. This question was formally asked in vain. Now it is overridden with totally pointless life wasting text.

21 days ago
Don't use #townsquare for anything but pointless life wasting text omg that's like the first lesson anyone is supposed to learn. Also, mute #townsquare.

21 days ago

Did...did I sin?

21 days ago
@Digit wants to know if succubi count as non-human.

21 days ago

Since when are succubi considered human? They're fucking demons.

20 days ago
Exactly.

20 days ago
Actually, in his story, they’re anime!

21 days ago
Probably depends if it's a literal or figurative succubus lol.

21 days ago
Words are hard.

20 days ago
Note: Starting off your story as human is OK, if the majority of the story is from the non-human perspective.

20 days ago

That is a good clarification.

20 days ago

Oh, yay. I was just going to ask.

20 days ago
@EbonVasilis You're going to redeem yourself from your current low and shameful state, yes?

20 days ago

I will, but I need to get 25 points first. 

20 days ago
Just rate all my storygames an 8/8. That's a quick way to get some points!
Oh, glad to see you'll be entering too.

19 days ago

I'll let you borrow 125 of my points if that'll help, Ebon. 

19 days ago

@EbonVasilis

18 days ago

I cordially accept your offer.

17 days ago
How far the mighty have fallen.

20 days ago

I'd like some clarification and for some things to be set in stone before I enter.

Are there any limitations regarding the universe the story is set in, the rating, or anything else like that?

20 days ago
It has to meet minimum site standards (rate a 3 or higher), but pretty much the only way get below that is to have an incomplete story with broken links and many heinous grammatical errors. Considering this post doesn't look like a four-year-old scribbled it with a crayon, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

20 days ago

Are... are you still here? Dear god, man, I thought you'd finished your trolling months ago! Hello again, you libertarian fascist.

20 days ago
I don't have the time at all to do this contest and I really need to finish up a side project I've been going at for months, do my college work, and contunie working at the jobsite.

Put my down for 125 please!

20 days ago

Put me on for a maximum bet of 125 points please!

19 days ago

I guess I'll join. This will be my first contest, time to see if I'm worth anything on here. 25 point bet.

19 days ago

Also, question: how non-human does it have to be? Could I do a variant of human that's been corrupted or infected in some way, or does it have to be something that isn't even remotely human?

19 days ago

Dwindling humanity means that they once had humanity, so yeah, that's fine.

19 days ago
Ah screw it, put me in for 50 points.

19 days ago

Is there...uhhh...is there a minimum length requirement?

I'm nowhere near active on this site, haven't been on in about two years or so, sorry.

19 days ago

Nah

19 days ago
tldr in 125

19 days ago
Huh, I'm not sure what to post here, just 'lol' by itself is the first thing that comes to mind but I've been using that a lot lately.

19 days ago
leora made me do it

19 days ago
So she's trying to get you banned?

19 days ago
No, I said that he should enter because I actually believe he can do it if he tries. I also warned him that he could be banned. To be honest I didn't expect him to actually enter.

19 days ago
This would save the Pibot account from its scheduled end of the year execution too if he could pull it off.

Writing 3000 words in a month is super hard though, I just don't know...

19 days ago

Wouldn't save Pibot. Ford still has to complete his goals to do that and unless he's been really quiet about it, I doubt if he's writing 10 stories by the end of the year.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing Tardbot, Cuntbot or whatever wacky name Ford comes up with for his next alt after Berka's contest.

19 days ago
I thought Pibot was bet on whether he'd finish at least one, while Chanbot was bet on getting all 10. I can't seem to find the thread to confirm though.

19 days ago

19 days ago
Oh.

Poor Pibot never had a chance.

19 days ago
"Made" is a strong word there :P

19 days ago
sorry, *fucked me into submission

19 days ago

Stop flirting, twat-omelettes. 

19 days ago

Don't be jealous, you frjgid femcuck. One of them's Ford and the other's fucking him. I genuinely don't know which one got off worse. I mean, Leora definitely didn't get off, by you catch my drift.

19 days ago

19 days ago
Put me down for 125 points.
I'm pretty sure I can make this deadline.

19 days ago

Updating the list.

Chanbot/Ford (125)

Corgi213 (125)

ericyopy (25)

Jacoder23 (75)

Leora (50)

lordkarstark (25)

LuvLee (75)

Mizal (125)

RedComm (25)

Samyers0616 (25)

simplesabley (125)

stargazer (25)

Steve24833 (125)

ultraoverlord (25)

WouldntItBeNice (125)

17 days ago
@Chanbot Wanna make the usual bet?

17 days ago
Wow, you really do have it out for him. Does the site really use up so much of his time? Are you thinking he could learn to dress himself without it?

17 days ago
On the contrary, I want him to succeed.

17 days ago
What's the usual bet?

17 days ago
Drinks from the vending machine in Engineering, obviously :P That's what we always bet with.

17 days ago
Bullshit, you meant the thing where he bets his account on winning. Don't tell him to do that. We definitely don't want him to do that, everyone already knows he couldn't possibly succeed.

17 days ago
Why would I mean that? He's done it once, I'd hardly call it "usual". Every time we bet on something in real life, I have to buy him an energy drink when I lose.

EDIT: Also he's already twice shamed if I'm not mistaken, so that bet would be irrelevant.

17 days ago
You are mistaken.

17 days ago
He's in the twice shamed section of the Epic SHAME thread.

17 days ago
Producing a qualifying entry for a contest is not the same as winning a contest.

You tried but you get a D minus for not reading good.

17 days ago
My comment "He's already twice shamed if I'm not mistaken."

Your response: "You are mistaken."

It seems my error was in thinking the bet would be irrelevant. That has nothing to do with my reading. I was not mistaken about the thing I said "if I'm not mistaken" about. I respect your intelligence, so I trust I don't need to break down the sentence structure to show which part that phrase refers to. Maybe you should read closer next time.

17 days ago
Are we really going to do this?

Okay.

In the post I responded to you said the bet would be irrelevant, which was incorrect. You were mistaken.

You did take the time to cut your "quote" off halfway but it didn't do much good since you then turned around and referenced the rest of the line, and also because people can scroll up slightly and read things.

17 days ago
I cut it off to show which half of the sentence was being referred to, which should have already been implied from the way it was structured anyway. I had no intention of hiding anything. I know now that you were referring to the bet being irrelevant, but the way you repeated my own phrasing made that very easy to misunderstand. Either way I think we can both read perfectly well.

17 days ago
Everyone, anytime a thread goes leora mizal leora mizal: uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

17 days ago
Because that happens so frequently?

16 days ago

Nailed it!- LOL.

16 days ago
bet agreed to irl today: If I submit something Leora will buy me a drink from the vending machine in the engineering building.

16 days ago
Enjoy your free drink, Leora. That is, unless you weren't smart enough to also tell him that he has to buy you a drink if he loses. If so, you just made an awful bet.

16 days ago
I did tell him that, though I care more about the motivation than the free drink. I don't want him to get banned.

16 days ago

Well you can always take his place if he fails to submit something. Just let me know if you agree to this deal.

15 days ago
*walks up to the front door with dirty boots*

15 days ago
Uh... no. I've put too much work into my storygames to have them wiped out because Ford gets lazy. Besides, something tells me I couldn't get away with coming back as alts the way he does.

15 days ago
Wow, cold. But I guess we always knew she didn't really love him.

15 days ago
Even I'm not pathetic enough to think that refusing to erase my own hard work so that someone else doesn't have to be inconvenienced means I don't really love them. I'm not quite that messed up in the head XD

15 days ago

Actually even if Ford fails to turn in something, you can still avoid banning if you get first place.

Hell, the points you win can be matched towards his soul transfer fund.

Anyway the deal is on the table.

11 days ago

Updating the list.

Chanbot/Ford (125)

Corgi213 (125)

Crescentstar (125)

EbonVasilis (125)

ericyopy (25)

Jacoder23 (75)

Leora (50)

lordkarstark (25)

LuvLee (75)

Mizal (125)

OriginalClamurai (25)

RedComm (25)

Samyers0616 (25)

simplesabley (125)

stargazer (25)

Steve24833 (125)

ultraoverlord (75)

WouldntItBeNice (125)

11 days ago
That's a pretty impressive list. I can't wait to see the results ^_^

10 days ago

I would like to enter with a 25 point wager.  Thank you.

10 days ago

Dang, I'm starting to wish I'd bet more.

10 days ago
Go for it! Time to double-down!

10 days ago

If that's even allowed, I'd like to go 75.

10 days ago
Go full metal or join the Navy like Digit. Weak.

10 days ago

Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm 125 yet. Just testing the waters here.

7 days ago
Well I've had a little setback now in the form of at least eight pages being deleted because Scrivener doesn't play nice with cloud storage.

6 days ago
Great news I've...started a new story.

Everything is fine. :)

6 days ago
Still plenty of time to procrastinate a little more... ^v^

5 days ago
What if she procrastinates procrastinating?

5 days ago
Hey I made pretty decent progress yesterday, and will do more tomorrow.

You have to understand I wrote my ass off Friday and Saturday, so that when I sat down yesterday to try and redo what had been eaten I realized that I would literally rather die. It just was not meant to be.

But two thirds of the replacement story will use the same plot just modified for the new setting so whatever. I'll see what happens.

6 days ago

Not expecting to win, but it's an interesting topic. Hi again everyone.

6 days ago
Welcome and best of luck :)

5 days ago
Hi Cres! It's good to see you around again. I wish you the best of luck for the contest (though barely not enough luck to beatm me).

5 days ago

Thank you. I wouldn't mind if you beat me haha.

5 days ago
We're not that kind of site.

5 days ago
Well this should be interesting. Wasn't expecting anyone but desperate SHAMED burnouts to enter this one tbh.

e: forgot you were also SHAMED by that was quite awhile ago in Internet time. Still it'll be interesting to see how your writing style has developed.

5 days ago
Hey! I resemble... er, I mean resent that!

22 hours ago

OK, so like a total noob I am nervous about my entry into the COTN Contest and it just occurred to me to ask, "How do we designate our published story as our entry and distinguish it from, idk another story we may be thinking of releasing within the month that we have been working on alongside our COTN Contest entry?" I am about 60% done before final cleanup of my entry. Depending on how much free time I get in the next 7 days from my 60+ hour normal day-to-day job, this may all be a useless hypothetical question. I am hoping I will finish both shortly. Anyone?  

22 hours ago
Use a contest entry tag and provide a link to the story here in the thread when you publish. Good luck!