WatchNon-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Find out what's been changing with the site lately.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST

Today we have the honor to announce the long awaited CYPERPUNK CONTEST. Genetic engineered monkeys, cybernetic limbs, Russian robot spies, the possibilities are endless. So pick up your pen, paper or other writing devices and craft your future masterpiece. The rewards are endless; grandiose applause from two random Dutchmen and one esteemed veteran, undying internet fame and perhaps a few extra points if the administrators are favorable towards you that day.

So what is CYBERPUNK?

I assume most of you are already a little familiar with the genre. For the degenerate gaming folk it was probably due to the latest cockroach infestation named cyberpunk 2077, for the film aficionados it was probably due to Blade Runner 2049 and for some of you it might be because of the story game CYBERMONKEY hailing from the CYS mother-site. For the upcoming participants who still haven’t gotten a clue what it is, all knowledge can still be dutifully acquired in no time. As for all holy knowledge, one must seek it in the depths of a Wikipedia article. If you type in cyberpunk you will get the following excerpt:

“Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction in a dystopian futuristic setting that tends to focus on a "combination of lowlife and high tech" featuring advanced technological and scientific achievements, such as artificial intelligence and cybernetics, juxtaposed with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.”

A lot of the aspects of cyberpunk can be traced back to the 1960s and 70s by the New Wave science fiction movement. Authors attempted to present a world where society coped with a constant upheaval of new technology and culture, generally with dystopian outcomes.

To summarize in layman’s terms, you have the opportunity to use super fancy laser guns while getting chased down by some crime lords and hackers.    

So will my story meet the REQUIREMENTS?

You have to have a story that meets the site’s requirements. So please don’t submit your freshly baked erotic sonic fanfiction even though it might be your magnum opus. Everything else is a free-for-all as long as it fits into the cyberpunk genre. In the past, writers have added some unconventional and unique elements to the genre. One example of a Cyberpunk work that incorporated fantasy races is Shadowrun, a tabletop role-playing game. Seeing all these previous works who play around with the common genre conventions, I cannot see the purpose in restraining your own creative juices. Thus, fantasy races, fantasy worlds, more gamey story games and even fanfiction are all allowed. However, keep in mind that you probably won’t get a very high score from me if you went on to make a My Little Pony cyberpunk-themed story game. I’m still one the judges.

The two aspects which must be incorporated in your story to be considered cyberpunk are: “the lowlife and the high tech”. The dichotomy has to be here in some way or form.  

So how do I ENTER THE CONTEST?

It's simple, offer you soul to Endmaster and then pledge your commitment on this thread. I'll lock your comment down so you won't be able to back down in the future. The entrance fee is 25 experience points which you'll get back if you have submitted a story that has a score of at least 4/8 and to a certain extent adheres to the other requirements. To submit your story, post a link of it on this thread. 

So what is the DEADLINE?

DEADLINE: 12th of July 2021, 12:59 pm EST.

Failing to submit your work before the deadline as a participant, grants you a place on my personal list of shame. Furthermore, you’ll get to see my bottomless pit of disappointment. You'll also never get to see your precious experience points ever again. 

Our highly esteemed @enterpride, @hetero_malk and I, @Darius_Conwright will be the judges of the contest.

This contest is only possible due to our lord and saviour Endmaster whose holy fingertips granted us this masterpiece called Eternal. Check it out if you have some spare time left. I'm absolutely not paid or forced to say this. Of course I would like to thank Mizal for giving this fumbling European dipshit some guidance, that sucker really needed it. 

Good luck with writing!

EDIT: And remember ALL contest entries MUST be written with the CYS editor. No exceptions!

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago
Thread looks great!

Now, you guys might be thinking that simple lower cased shame and disappointment from a random Dutch noob is no big deal, but let me assure you there will be no escaping the Endmaster's pit of SHAME should you claim to be joining and fail to perform. Especially since it was verified this contest was coming almost a month ago. You could've had a few weeks head start if you were smart.

This will of course, also be a potentially easy way to be freed if you're one of the many already in the pit (not that I would know anything about what that's like....) if you consider that TechNoir and CYBERMONKEY are both under 5000 words and still very well received.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

I've been on this site for six years and have never joined a contest. That changes now.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

and LOCKED.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago
You can count me in

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago
Nah, but now it is.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago
>RUN PROGRAM: MOTOR FUNCTION. ACTION: SPEAK<
I would absolutely love to be in this.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

Contestants so far

WizzyCat
Nightwatch
Zardoz
Cromwell

Fluttershypegasus

Matthaeus

AmusedSquid

PerforatedPenguin

TheLDMan

poison_mara

Orange

XIIIVampire

Shadowdrake27

DerPrussen

TheChef

yardbird

bilbo

Cool to see some fresh new blood potentially providing stories to the site. (And some old blood as well)

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

I would like to enter the contest with my 4.5K word story.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

22 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

Would it be acceptable to use a mix of cyberpunk and steampunk? Mainly using the cyberpunk but a small section with steampunk?

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

As long as it feels like Cyberpunk, then in my opinion it probably is. So having steampunk elements is allowed. 

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

I'd like to enter.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

I'm in

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
20 minutes left to tank your productivity in a thematic manner for under $4, go go go https://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/Shadowrun_Returns/ Too late, it's over. Go home.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
Seven confirmed and locked in CP enthusiasts in the first 24 hours, not a bad haul! Even Chris Hansen never had it this good. I'll go ahead and sweeten the deal by offering a gift card for Comixology to the winner. The amount will depend on the number of qualifying entrants we end up with.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

I love CP! I'm so excited that I've already started writing!

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

18 days ago
Just realized I overlooked a more obvious prize here, so alternately, I'll offer a redbubble gift card for some or all of the amount in case you want some merch from MHD's store.

Shipping is a real bitch in some of the crazy countries you guys live in so maybe this will help.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
I'm probably an idiot for doing this, but sign me up.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
I'm regretting this already

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
That's the spirit!

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

You did us all a big favour. Go get 'em tiger!

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
Sure, sounds like a fun time. Can I ask if there's a maximum length? Or if nothing specific, is there any general range an entry is expected to fit within?

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
Locked. No maximum length. The action-packed CYBERMONKEY story is around 4k words, but a decent story can be told in 10-15k words if it's not on adrenaline. Feel free to go long.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE

Uh, I mean, no maximum word count. And no minimum either, although generally speaking it's hard to get a decent amount of branching in anything under 10k, so that may hurt ratings unless your writing is just hellaciously stylish.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
Count me in!

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
I was told contests were dying before I accepted this. What the fuck happened the last 24 hours

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

I'm sorry Enterpride. We're in this together now. I'm dragging you into the hellish pits of binge reading.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago

An excuse to be a Luddite? Sign me up.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
Consider yourself signed and LOCKED

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

21 days ago
Ooh, now this should be interesting. Seems like a pretty big departure from your usual.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

20 days ago

Here's some inspiration cyberpunk music to stir the creative juices

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

20 days ago
WANTED: a goddamned pair of pants

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

20 days ago

The thumbnail is probably part of Endmaster's plan to convince others to join the dark side. 

Glorious propaganda. 

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

20 days ago

Those in cyberpunk dystopias have no time for such things.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

19 days ago

I've seen some early birds turning in their work, how is this even possible. Nevertheless, I'm pleasantly surprised. As for the procrastinators; chop, chop, chop! I'm expecting a 70.000 words long epic, 100 pages of concept art for the future movie adaptation and a picture of your adopted cat by the end of the deadline. 

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

19 days ago
I mentioned this contest to someone from off site, and I notice that at no point in the OP does it specifically state the games have to be written with the CYS editor. Might be a small oopsie to correct in future threads.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

19 days ago

I've added the appropriate edit.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

18 days ago
Thanks. I thought about doing that, but then I didn't.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

17 days ago

I adamantly attest my commitment to this contest.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

17 days ago
Locked.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

11 days ago
Are we permitted to let a friend make art?
Are we permitted to let multiple friends make art?
What about open-source contributors from out there in the wilds & civilizations of the internet?

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

11 days ago
sure, sure and sure. We really only care that your writing is decent and done with CYS.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

15 days ago

I have reluctantly decided to join this after playing with some story ideas and getting positive feedback/good advice (thanks to those who commented on my other thread). While I fully expect to be thrown back in the pit of shame, I'll try to actually finish.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

15 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

11 days ago

Time to get some Chrome!

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

11 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

9 days ago

Let's fuckin go.  Not often do personal inspirations AND contest topics coincide, but here we are.  I'm in

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

9 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

9 days ago

Good to you! I'm looking forward to your entry.  

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

9 days ago
Nice, welcome back to the ring. Figured you were going to be sidelined by insane amounts of work for awhile still.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

8 days ago

This is what I was made for isn't it? This is why I exist. All right. Let's do this.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

8 days ago

Good LOCKED

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

7 days ago
Is it me or did your pfp get zoomed in even more?

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

7 days ago
Huh, it did!

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

4 days ago

I LIVE

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

4 days ago
YOU LIVE?!

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

4 days ago

If I fall deeper into shame don't I get banned or something since I got the time zones messed up on the graveyard one?

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

4 days ago

You're welcome to fall even deeper. You have my permission. I don't know about the others though.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

4 days ago
Well technically terrible things are supposed to happen to the triple SHAMED, but I still like the graveyard story a lot so I would intervene to save you.

I'm actually really interested in what kind of cyberpunk story you would put out, it's not a genre I'd normally associate with your writing style.

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

4 days ago

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

4 days ago

Oh, well, guess that settles that!

I'm glad I started thinking up a story already haha

CYBERPUNK CONTEST 2021

4 days ago

Contestants so far

WizzyCat
Nightwatch
Zardoz