WatchNon-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Find out what's been changing with the site lately.

EndMaster's Myth and Religion Contest

24 days ago

MYTH AND RELIGION CONTEST

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/781460286595006484/1014546195584139334/Screen_Shot_2022-08-31_at_10.42.30_AM.png

Deadline: 11:59 PM (EST) October 31st (Halloween)

Reward: 72 waifus and whatever else seems fitting. You'll find out later and there probably won't be any waifus.

It's that time again. Another contest to keep you faithless slugs somewhat motivated and active as well as to gain at least a few more good stories to the coffers. (Hopefully)

The theme is myths and religion, that means for the most part taking an existing myth or religious story and making a CYOA out of it. Yes the entire contest is practically glorified fan fiction! That's what it's come to folks, Jesus Christ.

Anyway you can take tales from the Bible or various other mythology and do whatever the fuck you want with them.

You want to have the option of Moses to ignore his Jewish heritage and just take over as pharaoh? You can do that. You want to write a choice where Pontius doesn't order the crucifixion of Jesus, you can do that. You want to be a boring sack of shit like everyone else and just mangle the Greek myths for the umpteenth time, you can do that too!

It doesn't strictly have to involve god/gods. If you did something involving the Arthurian or Baba Yaga myths for example, that's also acceptable.

What you want to avoid is myths/religion from "fiction" meaning you wouldn't be able to write about the gods from D&D or something like that. Yes, this unfortunately means Cthulhu too, if anyone had something like that in mind.

Though if someone just says "Fuck you, I'm writing about cosmic horror gods anyway!" I hope you've got what it takes to impress the god that's in charge of judging this contest. Such daring could be rewarded greatly or it could just get you a trip to the SHAME pit. Who can say when dealing with abominations from beyond.

Speaking of outer space, Scientology is one you can fuck around with, so is Mormonism. In fact it might be a challenge to make those even more insane than they already are.

As usual, if I see and "loop back to the beginning" rather than proper endings, you'll be cast down with the Sodomites. Of course some of you might already be there, so you'll be cast down even lower to the tossed salad Chef.

If you're joining, post your intentions in this thread. Also when you're done writing your story, post a link to it here.

That's it for now, unless I think of something else to add or change as needed.

Good luck.

24 days ago

I'm in

24 days ago

Well the first entrant is from the KAE community, let's see if this one can remember to add choices.

Locked.

24 days ago

24 days ago

24 days ago
Assuming all I need is the 25 points, I’m in.

24 days ago

22 days ago

Well you seem to have rolled with the wacky hijinks here so far, so looking forward to a promising story.

24 days ago

I'd like to join! I'm already writing a Greek mythology based story anyways!

24 days ago

22 days ago

Well with that sort of handle, you could have only picked doing a Greek mythology story. Make it a good one.

24 days ago

Count me in once again!

23 days ago

22 days ago

Good, like the enthusiasm.

23 days ago

Well, I guess I'm going to not be a little bitch and am actually applying for this one. Not feeling too great though. Perhaps shame is in my future?

23 days ago

22 days ago

Well so far, you've scored pretty high on all the contests you've entered, so hopefully you can do it again. You're technically one of the heavier hitters that's entered so far.

23 days ago

I already started a horror game based on Yiddish folklore but I am getting nowhere with it. Guess I will start another folklore based game. 

23 days ago

22 days ago

You're currently Double SHAMED, so you better make this one count.

23 days ago

Mythology?  Sweet, count me in!  I'm busier these next few months so I probably won't write anything that detailed, but if all else fails, I'm sure I can stress-write a 2,000 word game 3 hours before the deadline.  Glory to CYS!

23 days ago

22 days ago

Hm, well hopefully your entry will at least be one of those "This could have won if it had only been a little larger."

23 days ago

I'll join. Might be nice to put out a full story.

23 days ago

22 days ago

You just need to focus.

23 days ago

My lazy ass wanted to revise two of my stories before the next contest came around. Didn't do so well with that, but hopefully I'll do better with this contest that I have no ideas for!

23 days ago

23 days ago
This may be the most CYStian post I've ever seen.

22 days ago

You usually don't do too badly on these when you have a plan in mind. Hopefully that happens this time around.

23 days ago
This time I'll do better.

I can use some of the ideas from Ojibwe legend I had intended for the ghost story.

22 days ago

22 days ago

I'm hoping to see you succeed this time.

22 days ago

Contestants so far

Ford

Petros

GreekMythologyGeek

Yummyfood

Celicni

betaband

Gryphon

tmanaking

Wizzycat

Wildblue

DBNB

Axxius

DingDongBells (KAE Interloper)

Paradox_4 (KAE Interloper)

22 days ago
Behold, for I have returned.

"One path, one way to rule them all"

22 days ago

Probably can't go any worse than last time.

22 days ago

No guts, no glory. I'll give it a go.  See if I can learn from my mistakes from last time.

22 days ago

You wrote about a magic whistle, you can certainly do this.

Locked.

20 days ago
Just a tip for anyone looking to play to the judge, I happen to know that Endmaster has watched this old Ten Commandments movie like fifty times. https://archive.org/details/TheTenCommandments_201407

20 days ago

Ah, Ten Commandments, classic.

19 days ago

Oh, I'm joining by the way. I've been meaning to write something longer than 10k words. Though I want to make things riskier to motivate me to write better so if I can't come up with something better than the interlopers feel free to yeet me into the pit End haha.

19 days ago

Well that is part of the plan. Locked.

12 days ago
In the interest of making the forum less dead...

How are everyone's prompts going? Did you start or are you still in the planning phase?

I'm at 11.6K words right now. I want to do a really big story with tons of world-building and background information, and multiple varied paths (as opposed to my other two stories, which are mostly gauntlet style)... but am also simultaneously aware that I don't actually have a ton of time to write all of that right now.

I fear that the end result will be 4 quite short paths.

12 days ago

Sounds like you're winning so far.

12 days ago
Wait, planning?!! I knew I forgot a step!

I’ve got around 4.6k. I don’t have too much time to write at the moment (should pick up around two weeks from now assuming motivation stays high), but I’m pretty optimistic about what I’ve written so far. I’m pretty far behind my schedule, so I don’t know if it will be as long as I originally intended, but the story seems to want to stay shorter anyway.

Unfortunately, my writing style (rip and tear until it’s done) leaves me a lot of editing work, especially on commas. I tend, to, kind of, stick them everywhere, on my first draft, so, proofreading is going, to, be daunting. In short, I plan to succeed by writing faster the closer I get to the finish line, not pacing the story, and kicking my already impressive hubris up a notch.

12 days ago
I have the absolute, same, problem, with commas. And I know many people shit on it and will strike me down for even recommending this, but grammarly helps me out a ton when it comes to that.

11 days ago
Not gonna get any hate from me for grammarly. It’s an essential tool for comma abusers

11 days ago

I guess I'm installing Grammarly then.

12 days ago

Due to work, I haven't been able to write anything yet. I have the basic idea down, and am currently in the research phase.

12 days ago

I plan to start at least a few days before the deadline, to be safe.

Yeah haven't had time yet.  Not even planning.  Probably going to work on it mostly during school break, and turn out something of a couple thousand words.

10 days ago

Well so far I'm hearing a lot of plans to make a story based around Greek mythology.

For everyone that's doing this, I hope for your sake you're writing the next Odyssey or some shit, because such mundanity is going to be judged a lot harder for winning than someone who went with something less predictable.