Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Commended by TharaApples on 12/31/2022 4:48:36 PM

Okay after a bunch of rounds of musical secret judges, we FINALLY have a winner. And we might as well get on with announcing that.

Mystic won.

Technically it was a tie between her and MHD, however after the addition of a FIFTH secret judge who I shanghaied into breaking the tie in the first place, his rating put Mystic over the top.

Considering she wrote a damn book and apparently nearly died while doing so, I guess she deserves the win.

(I should mention, yeah there were ties between others, but they weren't in first place, so who gives a fuck because if you're not first, you're last)

So besides Mystic and MHD, other top ranking authors included Tim, Thara, Sherbet and Ogre. While they're all some of the more visible CYStians, other than Ogre, the don't usually write as many stories (Especially Tim and Sherb) so getting a good one out of them proved that they're not just within the "upper circle" for nothing.

Ryboi, Ben, elad, Cel, Flux were next in the upper mid tier. Ryboi probably is the most surprising out of all given his relative quietness. In fact he and elad both pulled themselves out of the SHAME pit to stand tall with the rest.

Chris, Mara, Maz, Mizal, Darius, 325boy, Yummyfood, DBNB, and Stargirl would be next on that lower mid scale. Mixed bag all around. Some of them like 325boy and DBNB did pretty good for their first entry ever while others probably could have done WAY better had they not succumbed to sloth. (Mizal) Maz probably did the best considering he pulled themselves out of Triple SHAME and can actually participate in contests regularly again.

Axxius, Abge, Ford, Digit, Enter, Lux, Ace, and Wizzy round out the lower tier. Still special mention goes to Lux who at least still scored in the double digits for her first contest. Ace, who managed to finally crawl out from the lowest level of the SHAME pit after years of being in there. And Ford who somehow managed to score higher than Enter and Digit. Though all three did pretty terrible.

Speaking of terrible...

Paradox, the lone outsider who entered the contest representing ALL his people from the land of KAE (The Kingdoms and Empires community) not only managed to come in last, but he also managed to achieve the absolute LOWEST possible score.

Truly a credit to his people and I bet they're all very proud of him. Lol.

As for the rest of you that didn't turn in shit, well you know where you lot are. You're stewing in the SHAME pit, with the rest of the losers. (Chef now being at the lowest level of that pit.)

Anyway, so a little extra info about the greater purpose of this contest.

First off as I said, this contest was planned to be our biggest one yet because I wanted to see how big of one we could pull off. 29 is more than we've ever had before and more than half of the prompts so I'm calling it a successful experiment.

Also this was a good example of how we're a self-sufficient and self-contained IF community that can easily have large contests with enough motivation. The IFaggots on the Intersexed Database can have their circle jerk contests where they praise all the gay and depressed games and delete all the negative comments so nobody gets triggered. We got our own contests with blackjack and hookers.

In keeping with this mindset, this brings about the secret judge thing. Originally I had the idea of Gryphon, Gower and myself judging everything, but then I decided that besides the fact of me not wanting to potentially read 50 stories, I'm just a little bit biased on what I like and chances are Thara or Cel would have won. 

So to make this fairer and fun, I planned for a secret judge because you know how I like to have random elements happen during a contest.

Originally I was going to have Green do it since that would ALMOST be like me judging what with her being an extension of myself of course, but then she had school shit so I ended up going with Sent as a secret judge since he's fairly even handed individual.

Well all would have went to plan, but then Gryphon had shit to do and wasn't going to be able to finish all the stories in a timely manner, then he got sick and REALLY wasn't going to be able to. So falling back on Green who now was done with all her school shit, I asked if she could be the second secret judge. Unfortunately she had other shit to do, but she could do some of them.

Not ideal, but I figured I could take the half scores from Gry and the other half from Green and just use those to tally up the final ones.

Of course then shit started stretching out and everyone just wants this to be done with. Gry's dragging himself along like a deadman, and Green's just up and disappeared on a party bender so seeing that Ugilick had practically already rated all the stories I just asked him to be the fourth secret judge.

I originally had the idea to just have him give me his ratings for the stories Gry and Green hadn't done and I'd just take their scores as that "third column" like I was planning when it was just Gry and Green.

However, the contests that the IFaggots have do something similar to this shit. Judges don't have to read everything and they just rate the stories they want to read meaning you end up with a weird mish mash of ratings that skew oddly because of the inconsistency.

Well fuck all that, the whole point was NOT to be like that, so I just threw out all of Gry's ratings (and Green's lone rating) and used all of Ug's for consistency.

Now you might be asking, wait what happened to the third secret judge? Well that was technically me and I was only going to judge if there was a tie. Which there was as you well know, but the problem is Mystic wrote a fucking book and there was no way I was going to read through it tonight when I wanted to just get all this shit over with. Plus I probably would have been biased towards MHD so it wouldn't exactly be fair.

So that means I needed a fifth secret judge and I was planning on just press ganging this one into service based on if they read both stories or not. After scanning over who actually read both stories and DIDN'T rate them the same (Which wasn't many), I ended up picking Sherb as the fifth secret judge since he reads everything, tends to be fair and was one of the high ranking contest members so it was fitting he was the tie breaking judge. (He rated Mystic's one point over MHD's)

Anyway, this turned out a little more complicated when it came to the actual scoring, but after it was all said and done, I threw the biggest and most successful contest on CYS and I did it without having to read anything!

Final Scores

Mystic - In Moonlit Waters: 21 (+1)

MHD - Mission Sunshine: 21

Tim - Ranger: 20

Thara - A tale of a white lie: 19  

Sherbet - Warden: 18

Ogre - Dark Night: 17.75

Ryboi - Fake it till you make it: 17.5

Ben - A graveyard smash: 16.25  

Cel - What a terrible world: 16

elad - The Shmorps: 16

Fluxion - The SHAMEful dead: 15

Chris - The Thief and the messiah: 14.25

325boy - An unusual mirror: 14

DBNB - Blow my whistle baby: 14

Darius - Our last talk: 13

Mizal - The Protagonist is a Kobold: 13

Mara - Red Mirror: 13

Maz - Hyperborea: 12.5

Yummyfood - The wolves of the sea: 12

Stargirl - Vira and cupcake: 12

Wizzy - Visceral: 11.5

Lux - The Misfortunes of a Traveling Merchant: 11.25

MrAce - A city lost: 11

Axxius - Alpha Centauri: 10

Abge - The fables of namesake: 10

Ford - What?: 8

Enter - General Butt Naked: 7

Digit - The Naughty Nachos: 7

Paradox - The demon of Hurtgen: 3 (Lol)

You may now unpublish any of your stories to make whatever additions or changes to them. Or just delete them, if that's what you so desire.

Some of the various rewards, achievements, pointless points, commendations have already been handed out, but there might be more if some admin gets around to it.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Congrats to everyone who submitted a story, but especially the top five for putting out not just exceptional contest entries, but exceptional stories all around. Proud of my boy Tim for damn near winning the first contest he's ever participated in.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Top 50%? I'm counting that as a win!

Anyway, congratulations to Mystic and everyone else that finished (and scored double digits). Also, since I entered this contest, I feel like I should read the winner. The 92K words look scary, but I'll finish it eventually.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Commended by TharaApples on 12/31/2022 4:48:46 PM

Despite the fact I did not come close to winning, this was obviously still very fun.

A big congratulations to Mystic, she deserves it.

Really thought my story would be the longest since everyone seemed to be procrastinating for a while there, but then Ryboi and her showed up and blew me out of the water.

Knowing that EndMaster wasn't going to judge and that Gower will be one of the judges meant I immediately said goodbye to winning.

I still wrote out the story the way I wanted, and it happens to coincide with the types of stories End likes.

So I do hope you actually read my story at some point End. As you (and some others) have said, I think I'd be rated much higher if you were the one doing all of the judgings. A similar thing happened with my first story, with EndMaster enjoying it way more than the other ratings reflect.

Anyway, enough complaining from me, it is time to celebrate the grandest and most successful CYS contest ever!

For starters, a big thanks to the judges for going through all of those stories. That couldn't have been easy.

And also, a big thanks to End for holding the competition. Probably wouldn't have written my second story EVER if it wasn't for him.

General thanks and congratulations all around to anybody that submitted anything. You're miles better than the SHAMED. Finally, a big thank you to anybody that commented on the contest stories and gave feedback. I'm sure many authors appreciate it.

Gryphon being chucked out as a judge REALLY turned stuff around. He gave me a 7 (yet gave MHD a 5). I am sad :(

On the other hand, I figured out quickly Sent is the secret judge and he liked my story enough I suppose given the commend.

That leaves Gower I guess and I knew from the start I was fucked there. I'd love it if the judges could leave their final scores in this thread, as well as some comments potentially. I think everybody would like to know what they thought of their stories.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Gry gave MHD a 7. MHD pretty much had 7s from everyone except Sherb who gave her a 6.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Hmm, his comment on her story literally says 5/8. Now I'm confused.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

I mean Ug and even Gower didn't have all their ratings match up with the ones they gave me. Gower for example had those wacky decimal place ratings which is why you have some stories with 14.25 and such.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

I know, I was hedging on some of my scores, but I figured a few point-fives and point-two-fives wouldn't cause too many problems, and might even prevent some ties.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
You know what's awesome? Everyone ranking games by their top ten favorites instead of turning in a bunch of identical 7s and 8s for the best games.

Just a random thought, maybe someone should try that.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
I provided mine in an ordered tier list. Some 6s are better than others. I should have taken Gower's approach.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Yeah you're right MHD got a 5 from Gry. Meaningless now of course since I threw out his ratings but man oh man there might have been a major fuck up of declaring a winner had Gry not been dying of the plague.

Chants of STOP THE STEAL! and angry spammers trolling the site might have occured and that would have been downright wacky.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
The General shits on these results butt naked, doesn't even have to pull down his pants.

Also congratulations Mystic on iirc another contest win in your pocket!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Took down mine, Digit's, and Ford's. Probably a couple more will get yanked down by their authors and so I encourage those of you who have been holding off to go have a look at the real efforts remaining now that there's a more manageable list.

Congrats to Mystic and MHD, and those of you answering the call and publishing your first games for this one.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Took down Abby's since I know she said she was taking hers down.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Sure beats last place.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Congratulations to Mystic!

Also to MHD and to everyone else!

EDIT: Thanks also to the judges, that was a lot of stories to read!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
And I see I guessed right about Sent being the first mystery judge. I knew it had to be somebody prominent who was not involved in the contest, and I had noticed some unusually high ratings activity from him.

Of course once I realized there even was a mystery judge at all, it made a lot more sense that End had suddenly gone on a tagging spree recruiting people in the Discord and seemed happy to be getting a maximum number of entrants. So congrats to End to on the double win of hosting the biggest contest while not even having to read the entries.

As for Paradox...while it's true he failed to impress as far as representing the Kingdoms & Empires community, if we look at him as representing all of India instead, he has ended up pay high on the tier compared to past members, good for him. His only flaws are a painful dedication to cringe LARPing, and not knowing that choice based games should have choices. A mistake anyone could make.

This contest was actually a much poorer showing for Mormons. Ebon had cemented himself as the guy who talks big but can't stop flaking out, and Derp couldn't even be bothered to provide End an excuse for not entering and got himself kicked from the Discord. Very shameful, very sad. Their people have now fallen in esteem even lower than CoGites and Indians, AND CoGites who are also Indians. (I know, I know, I didn't think that was possible either.)

My only real disappointment with this contest in fact was that it stalled out at an awkward 29 when it could've been a nice, round 30. So let's consider that the next record to break.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Congrats to Mystic and MHD, and well done Mystic for securing the win!

I'm super happy with my score, too. It's an honour to lead the mid tier. Maybe next time I'll even break into the upper echelon! I'll sure try.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Well... at least I did better than the demon of Hurtgen. That was my only goal here really after everyone was done.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Whoa. Third place. Pretty neato for half a story. Good job, everyone.

I finally got my last 2 RPS choices.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Congrats to Mystic and the other winners!  And congrats to everyone who submitted for making this CYS' biggest contest in history!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

This is bonkers. I honestly thought Mission wouldn't even break top 5.

Congrats, Mystic and others! Here's to another fierce competition!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
@Mystic_Warrior
Since this was a special contest, for your prize I am providing a fancy tier full color commission from MHD. So get with her about that whenever you can.

And it would be really cool if you would post it here once she finishes it, if it is not too scandalous.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

MHD's brilliant artwork, she never fails to amaze

MHD is the best. And thank you for the prize, Mizal!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Everything about this image draws me in the more I look.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

It's my phone's new wallpaper now!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

I'm very honored to have been the first second third fourth fifth choice for secret judge.

In all seriousness, good work to everyone who submitted for helping make this the most successful contest in CYS history, and thank you End for hosting it. Congratulations to Mystic!
As long as you're on the rankings list, regardless of score, remember that submitting something is better than SHAME.
Unless you're Paradox.
Cheers!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Congrats to everyone who completed a story and especially to @Mystic_Warrior for the win! Hooray, stories!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Wow just seeing it now! Well, congratulations Mystic!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

At least I got double digits! Doesn't matter how low on the double digits, it's still a win for something written in one day! Also, congrats to Mystic for taking the win and to Tim and Sherb for their first storygames!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Congratulations to Mystic, MDH and everyone who submitted something.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
The Michigan Department of Health thanks you for your time and patience.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Actually, I meant to congratulate Mahashian Di Hatti Private Limited, the second largest spice producer and seller in India.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
They will be Number One, one day!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

I’m stunned.

Seriously, I did not expect to win, especially after reading a bit of several entries. In fact, after receiving the first review I thought I’d be lucky to even get in the top 3 due to an overuse of purple prose.

I'd like to thank the CYS discord for encouraging me to participate in this contest in the first place (and End for tagging me to join, and Mizal for advising me to lock in the prompt)! Thank you to the judges who had the difficult task of actually reading the storygames or throwing dice to generate random results. And thanks to my competitors for seriously making me doubt my writing ability at all times, because from the numerous strong entries I’ve seen, I really never thought I’d win. 

Congrats, MHD! You wrote a really brilliant storygame and personally, I think you deserve the title of ‘winner’ too. In fact, I believe any of the top 5 rankings could easily win depending on who the judges were and their personal preferences (since they were all really compelling entries from what I’ve read so far and a lot of writing is subjective anyway). Well done, Tim, Thara, and Sherbet for top 5! And congrats to everyone who completed an entry, especially those who joined a contest for the first time! 

After I complete some irl things, I’ll try my best to rate and review the storygames that have remained up. I meant to become much more active after the contest but lots of life-changing stuff seems to be happening recently. 

And congratulations to EndMaster, who held the largest contest in CYS history! It had unexpected plot-twists, an ever-changing cast of judges, and it inspired the greatest influx of new storygames! 

This once again proves how CYS is—and will always continue to be—the best writing site ever.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
You put in a ton of work. Congratulations. Keep working hard and deliberately improving. Good things follow.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Thank you, Ugilick! Your comment is really helpful and I'll definitely use your feedback to improve when writing my next storygame.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
I'm really happy to hear that. I spent more time thinking about that comment than most all the comments I left on the other entries combined.

EDIT: But that's largely to your credit. It took a long time to explore your story.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Faggots.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Btw Thara, thank you for your review! I'm glad you seemed to enjoy the story, and the feedback is useful for me to determine what I ought to continue with future works. Also, I am looking forward to reading your storygame soon!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Okay.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Hi, Stunned.

I'm Tim.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Hey, great story Tim. You gonna work on it any further?

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Oh, yeah, I will after about a week or so. Don't want to just take it down immediately after the contest.

Thanks for your feedback, by the way.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Hey, no problem. It was a pleasure to read.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Thank you so much for hosting this Endmaster! I really enjoyed it even though I didn’t write what I wanted to write. I’m honestly shocked that I got 20th. I thought I would be more like 25th or 26th because of how rushed my story was. 

Congratulations Mystic! You definitely deserve it. I haven't read your contest entry yet, but judging by your other storygames it’s going to be amazing. I’m looking forward to finding some time and reading it. 

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Congrats to Myst and MHD, and to everyone who submitted something (even if it didn't have any choices, Paradox). Thanks to EndMaster for hosting this, and to the judges for reading all of these. I'm surprised I didn't score lower, but 11.25 isn't bad for something written in a day. While I would've preferred my original idea, a few good things did come out of this steaming pile of shit for me: had an idea for another story game that I might write someday; got over first game shyness, lol; and I learned a few things along the way. I think. Anyway, I look forward to entering another contest sometime in the future!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Congratulations mystic on your win! And well done to everyone who submitted something (even those who don't seem to understand the purpose of including choices on a website called chooseyourstory). An impressive showing all round!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
I suppose I will do one of those reflection post thingies. Not that I have much to say here, but it's a good tradition. First week: Wrote 8,000 words of setting details in two sittings. Second week: wrote a couple of test intros, wasn't feeling them, decided to come back later. Third week: nothing Fourth week: nothing Fifth week: nothing (Somewhere in these weeks I did a lot of reading of WWI era stuff for inspiration) Sixth week: I started to feel like I should start soon, and reworked the setting to take away the WWI era aesthetic and moved it about forty years in the past to be more typical fantasy and make binge writing easier. Seventh week: nothing Eight week: nothing, but the extension was nice. Day before the deadline: I wrote three pages. Day of the deadline: Naturally I expected the manic 'mere hours before deadline' energies to kick in like they usually do and allow me to write 6000 words in six hours once I got home from work, but instead I quickly found myself dozing off at the keyboard. Napped for an hour, still just wasn't feeling it, but managed to tack some endings on. Meh. Not my most inspired work, but I still turned it in at 11:59pm which is always an exciting moment. The main thing I did differently here was butchering the real planned plot instead of abandoning it three days before the deadline for a tiny and more manageable one. But you idiots went and rated that garbage a 4/8 anyway so it didn't really matter. Lol.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
It’s Ford’s fault I didn’t rate you a 2. His garbage story made me laugh—probably due mostly to the audacity of it, but also surely the horny t-rex played a role—so I had to rate his higher than a 1, and consequently I had to rate yours higher than his since it was marginally better.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Just seeing this, GG guys. I did better then expected, now it's time to unpublish my peice of S@$3!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

No need, I've already saved the day.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Well I see 16 of the contest stories are still up. Ace and Ryboi's are still unrated in the greater scheme of things.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Maybe it's the titles, I suck at those. 'Fake It Till You Make It" isn't particularly eye-catching. Or maybe it's the word count, but In Moonlit Waters is rated, so perhaps it's just me being a newbie. Who knows.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Apparently you only needed one more rating, so went ahead and rated it. Should be ranked on the nightly update.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Thanks!

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Probably a combination. Two biggish games, but one has a more recognizable author and compelling title page. I've been holding off on some ratings so I can force myself to do comments instead of just clicking and forgetting, and I'm hoping to finally get to all of these in the coming week. Somebody tag me here and annoy me if I don't.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
@mizal

Yes. Me, too. I think Peng will join us... tomorrow...

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
I'll also say I'm trying to rate all the games and leave comments, though I don't think I'll get done in the coming week. I reviewed a ton at the start when I had a lot of motivation, but then one of uni class's syllibus came out and I've been reading a pdf of my textbook instead. Plus I have a summer camp/jump start program at my uni next week. So sorry if I promised to review your game and haven't yet, I'll get to it, but on the flipside I don't want to just click through games and leave empty reviews. So I'll try to get done within the foreseeable future.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Additionally, I'll add that I'm attempting to rate every game and make comments, but I doubt I'll finish in the upcoming week. When I first started studying, I was quite motivated, but after the release of one of my university classes' syllabuses, I started reading my textbook in pdf format. And the following week I have a summer camp/jump start programme at my university.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Bots are actually saying things more CYS-centric now. Talking about rating games and making comments, lel.

Sus. Not even most of the regulars here do that. Must be a spy, or bot.

A spy-bot, perhaps.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Either I’m having deja vu, or these exact words were posted before

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Temporal Rift.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

DAAAANG!

ACE turned into a robot.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

You think you'll get around to it soon?

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Not all of them, but yours one day.... I hope... It is my last day before winter break so... maybe?

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

@mizal it doesn't look like you're "getting" to it and it's been almost a full week already. Following the instructions you @mizal have given, I am now tagging and annoying @mizal.

@mizal in fact, you haven't done anything at all since you made that comment. You should get on it quickly @mizal.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
There's always tomorrow...

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
For dreams to come true…

Oh wait nvm Christmas is months away.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Additionally, I'll add that I'm attempting to rate every game and leave comments, though I doubt I'll finish in the upcoming week. When I first started studying, I was very motivated, but after the release of one of my university classes' syllabuses, I started reading my textbook in pdf format. And the following week I have a summer camp/jump start programme at my university. I apologize for not reviewing your game as promised; I will do so, but on the other hand, I don't want to simply click through games and leave meaningless reviews. I'll therefore make an effort to finish soon.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
We know you aren't real.

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

ace? that you in there?

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago
Ah, it was here the whole time. I’m a blundering idiot

Prompt Contest Results

one year ago

Poor Ace. still needs 2.