Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

December Contest

7 years ago
December Contest

Theme: Ballads

Format: Multiple

Deadline: December 19th at 12:01 A.M. Eastern Time

Focus , Entry Requirements & Prizes, Judging:

We're going to operate with a very loose interpretation of ballads, since it's a style of writing and storytelling that has had very different forms throughout its history. Contestants may write their entry in the form of: poem, short story, or CYOA ballad.

The Focus:

Your entry does NOT have to rhyme. And it does NOT have to be a love story. But your entry should put a very strong focus on the following concepts.

Tell a Story - Ballads generally tell a story in a very direct manner, and they do not have to be about love at all.

Use Imagery - Ballads often use vivid and expressive imagery in a detached manner to relay the tale.

The above two points should be key components of your entry. Typically, throughout pretty much any period in history, ballads have also had a rhythmic aspect. In other words, even if they aren't put to music, they're generally written in a manner that would allow them to be. Entries that bring this component into the fold as well will likely be looked more favorably upon by judges.

If you still have confusion about our loose definition of ballads, I encourage you to take a look at the following link.

Link

For anyone interested, I believe standard ballad form is commonly considered AABA from a more modern perspective, but different times use different styles and schemes. And you are by no means required to use this rhyme scheme. This is merely a suggestion/example that you could use.

Entry Requirements & Prizes:

You must formally declare intent to enter the contest in this thread, as their is a point entry fee. Hopefully, this will motivate people to finish and reward those who honor their commitments

People can choose to enter the contest for 25, 50, 75, 100, or 125 points. Upon entering, those points will be deducted from your total. Upon submitting a contest story which meets minimum contest standards, you will get either 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 points back (depending on how much they entered for). And then additionally 100 for winning the contest and a featured story if it's a CYOA and good enough to merit featuring.

If you do not submit a contest story which meets minimum contest standards by the deadline, you will not receive any rewards or points back.

To eliminate any possible confusion, the first number is your entry fee, and the second would be your reward. And this is just for submitting an acceptable entry. The winner will receive another 100 points on top of their initial reward.

25 -> 30

50 -> 60

75 -> 90

100 -> 120

125 -> 150

Recap: Stories will not be valid entries unless the site member formally announces his or her intent to enter the contest in this thread with the amount of points he or she wishes to stake.

Judging:

The judging panel will consist of moderators/administrators and selected highly esteemed community members that do not wish to enter.

Remember, tell a story, use strong imagery.

December Contest

7 years ago

Put me down for 125 points. Fuck it.

Bucky, I want you to know that I hate you for this, almost as much as I hate myself.

December Contest

7 years ago
Huzzah! Steve will be sad he couldn't be the first brave soul through the breach.

December Contest

7 years ago

Steve can't write poetry. Steve lacks sensitivity, and a heart.

Actually it's a pretty well known fact teenagers can only write shitty, embarrassing poetry about how life is pain and no one understands them. (I've yet to see a poetry thread here disprove this.)

I feel really bad for the judges tbh.

December Contest

7 years ago

Mizal's right, I'd sooner off myself than write anything resembling poetry, so I'll pass. 

December Contest

7 years ago
I smell fear.

December Contest

7 years ago
Maybe the penalty will keep me inspired.  Put me down for 125 and I'll try to actually write something this time.

December Contest

7 years ago
That's the spirit!

December Contest

7 years ago

It's odd deducting points from people that don't usually do anything wrong, but it's actually sort of fun.

December Contest

7 years ago
@TharaApples may the world break when she enters.

December Contest

7 years ago

Nah. The point incentive is alluring, but I'm no poet. 

December Contest

7 years ago

If I join, I'm probably never getting my points back xD

It'll probably also be my one and only penalty >_<

Give me a day and 2 hrs to think on this.

December Contest

7 years ago
Put me down for 125 points.

December Contest

7 years ago
Sold!

December Contest

7 years ago
Well I guess I have to do something, man.

December Contest

7 years ago

Put me down for 25 points. I'm going to do this.

December Contest

7 years ago
Done.

December Contest

7 years ago

If the entry does not need to be a CYOA how would they be published? as posts?

December Contest

7 years ago

Most likely as a post in Writing Workshop, I think. :)

Which would be like the Christmas gift for Mizal thing.

December Contest

7 years ago
Yeah, I'll make a thread for poems and short stories closer to the deadline.

December Contest

7 years ago

Event though I have proven time after time I am a lazy asshole with no appreciation for proper grammar, I'm in. If it's something like a poem then I'm rather interested. Make it 75 points please.

December Contest

7 years ago

I know it's a stupid question, but is there a limit between lengths of poems?

(Ex, Limited amount of words??)

December Contest

7 years ago
No.

December Contest

7 years ago

Can you please put me down for 25 points?  It's all I can afford, hehe...

December Contest

7 years ago
I am up at 125! *Kirby Dance*

December Contest

7 years ago

I'm in! Put me down for 125 points.

December Contest

7 years ago
Well, there goes my prize.... *sigh* XD

December Contest

7 years ago

Making a list...

Mizal 125
IAP 125
Malk 125
Mason 25
Lancelot 75
Orange 25
Negative 125
Romulus 125

December Contest

7 years ago

I would like to point out that Steve was online to post in another thread a few hours ago, but notably too much of a coward to enter this. Poetry, his one weakness? 

Make the next contest about editing and force him completely out. 

December Contest

7 years ago

I, for one, think that despite all of his boasting, he's afraid to lose to me twice... :P

December Contest

7 years ago

I did post earlier, specifically to call out poetry as something fags do that I won't touch.

December Contest

7 years ago

Alright, I'm actually going try to be serious this time since I have my Christmas break coming up and I just finished my exams. Put me down for 25 points.

December Contest

7 years ago

Screw it, put me down for 25.

December Contest

7 years ago

Please sign me up for 125 points :) I don't think I'll win but I want to give this a go :D

December Contest

7 years ago
Good luck, Will11! I'd enter, but this is absolutely NOT my area of any ability at all.

December Contest

7 years ago

Is @ISentinelPenguin entering? I vaguely recall he likes poetry.

December Contest

7 years ago
@ISentinelPenguinI

December Contest

7 years ago

He has such an annoying name. 

December Contest

7 years ago

So to clarify: a ballad is composed in the form of stanzas, which are four sentences each. A ballad must consist of at least two stanzas, although more than two would be recommended. It must tell a story, in a direct and detailed manner, preferably in a way invoking emotion from the reader. Is that correct?

December Contest

7 years ago
That's one way to go about it, but not the only way, for the purposes of this contest.

December Contest

7 years ago

I might start working on something I could have submitted had I joined this contest, but every time I sign up for a writing contest that goes more than a few paragraphs without submitting something I've already had pre-prepaired, I end up getting too ambitious and fucking myself until the time runs out. A lot of the Halloween Contest that didn't happen was me giving Mason all this "Artistic direction" bullshit and planning out all the things that were going to happen in my sections, trying to see what I could fit in the timeframe and struggling to scrub any possible narm out of the monster encounters I had been planning out. And I'm absolutely godawful at cutting scenes and things to meet deadlines, I usually just rewrite the scene or start summarizing what happened, which makes the original story I had planned, but shitty.

December Contest

7 years ago

I'll enter. Deduct a full 125 points from me, please. I only request that, in the reason for deduction, the mod adds "did nothing wrong" simply because I do not wish for others who did not know of this contest to misinterpret it.

Also, @Steve24833 is not entering because he's Irish. Everybody knows that Irishmen are not man enough to enter this contest.

December Contest

7 years ago
Everyone is getting some variant of "December Contest" as the description.

December Contest

7 years ago

Actually, the Irish have a great history when it comes to ballads. Lots of classics there. Steve is simply hiding behind the excuse of 'poetry is for faggots' because he's intimidated, and perhaps ashamed at being unworthy of the legacy of his his countrymen.

December Contest

7 years ago

I'm working on the ballad, and I have but one question:

Can we make it a rhyming poem to quicken progression?

What I'm asking is it okay that my story is more attuned to a rhyming poem with shorter sequences of emotional stress? I'm trying to make it easier as a CYOA.

December Contest

7 years ago
Yeah, that's fine. Like I said, it's a very loose definition of ballad. If you focus on following a direct story and using good imagery, that'll be perfectly acceptable.

December Contest

7 years ago

Awesome.

December Contest

7 years ago

Checking it twice...

Mizal 125
IAP 125
Malk 125
Mason 25
Lancelot 75
Orange 25
Negative 125
Romulus 125
SMTC 25
Minnie 25
Will 125
WIBN 125
Seto 125

December Contest

7 years ago

Put me down for 125, please :)

Note: It feels rather odd for me to have a penalty xD

December Contest

7 years ago

Excuse me, but what would be the recommended length for one of these? As a CYOA, do you expect it to be very long?

December Contest

7 years ago
As short or long as it needs to be to tell your story. For something like this, I think quality will speak volumes.

If you desire a more specific answer, IS always mandated a 20 page minimum for their contests. For what it's worth.

EDIT: And I really hope a few people try the ballad CYOA.

December Contest

7 years ago

Alright. Going to try and get as much as I can into this.

December Contest

7 years ago

So wait, can we upload our entrys right away or do we need to wait until the thread is up?

December Contest

7 years ago
You're... done?

December Contest

7 years ago

I thought that as well.

December Contest

7 years ago
I don't doubt someone could be done by now with 1 ballad. Even a solid 9 minute ballad could be a page of writing. How long is a ballad in this competition? I doubt it can be an entire storygame.

December Contest

7 years ago
If it's so easy, then enter.

It's certainly more challenging to write a storygame like this, but Beowulf is a direct precursor to ballads. And with our broad definition, something like that would certainly count.

December Contest

7 years ago

Lol no i'm not done. Just curious. 

December Contest

7 years ago
... wait until the thread is up. I won't post it until a few days before the deadline. You should use the time you have to the best of your ability.

December Contest

7 years ago

Can I still enter even if I have ?negative points? I might not, but I'm thinking about it and am wondering if I can.

December Contest

7 years ago

There aren't any points you can bet, so I don't think so :c

However, you can get points from rating storygames, and you're almost there...

December Contest

7 years ago

They could just bet with shit they don't have. People do it all the time in gambling.

I can put Crescent down for 125, though unless she wins, she's not actually going to get those points back.

December Contest

7 years ago
I think if you're negative then you should probably only enter for the minimum amount. You can't go into the red on Jeopardy! and bet 10,000 on a daily double, after all.

Although, it'd be far more amusing to make crescentstar go on a story rating binge. We bless you child, for you have sinned, rate 28 stories as penance to gain absolution.

December Contest

7 years ago

Yeah but it’s more amusing for me if she goes into debt and be several points in the hole!

December Contest

7 years ago

Your amusement is contagious. I think I might just not do this contest. Maybe. When's the last day I can be able to enter; as in, can I enter on the very last day or are the entry fees due at a certain time?

December Contest

7 years ago
Just so long as you enter before the submission deadline.

December Contest

7 years ago

*Yawn* What date is it? December 3... I guess I have a week before extensive studying sets in...

Er... I have a question then. Does the ballad have to tell a story of events or can I tell the results of consecutive events depicted in the mind as descriptions? As in, more of a story of changing emotions/feelings/ideals or of expo/conflict/resolution?

December Contest

7 years ago
It needs to be a direct story, with real tangible characters, actors, whatever. In other words, it can't be about a surreal, trippy, metaphysical type story.

Does that help?

December Contest

7 years ago

Yep! Um. How long do you expect it to be? I have never written a ballad before... Would it be as long as a normal short story? (5<x<10 pages roughly?) I know it was said that it wasn't really specified, but I want to check.?? Also. About rhyming. You said it wasn't necessary, but you recommend AABA (or something)? You were talking about the same thing... Right? I know i said I had one question, but I'm considering entering now... (Sorry for punctuation issues. My phone is not compatible with CYS.)

December Contest

7 years ago

Okay. I can try to comment on them too.

December Contest

7 years ago

Challenge accepted and completed. I now have 30 points. Kehehe. I still don't think I'll enter this. I have too much work (studying...) outside of more creative writing. I would've loved to though, but I'm sure you guys are relieved I didn't do this contest. xD

December Contest

7 years ago
Oh, just bloody enter. If you think it'll be fun, then that's a worthy reason alone.

December Contest

7 years ago

I apologize for being wrong ^^;
Guess you could enter then :)
Good luck!

December Contest

7 years ago

Who said one couldn't bet their negative points for a positive opportunity? :)

December Contest

7 years ago

Are we limited to one entry each?

December Contest

7 years ago

Each entry would cost some more points I would think. I can put you down for another 125 if you want.

December Contest

7 years ago

Darn, this might actually tempt me out of my writing hibernation...

December Contest

7 years ago
in for 125 pls

December Contest

7 years ago

Were you planning on submitting more than one entry?

Remember I can put you or anyone else for that matter for another 125 points per entry.

December Contest

7 years ago
I'll see how quick I do one and how well it turns out before I try for another; but I'll keep that in mind.

December Contest

7 years ago

Put me down for 75 please

December Contest

7 years ago

Before anyone says anything. This guy isn't Pugtaco. (Or if it is him, he's managed to fool everyone!)

December Contest

7 years ago

Lol, that's some nice preemptive mod work, End.

I made that assumption when I saw the name, but he has decent stories in the works and the account is five years old. Ballads and points just bring people out of the woodwork, I guess.

December Contest

7 years ago

Been a very long lasting lurker here and finally decided to do something 

December Contest

7 years ago
Figured I'd tag a few people who may be interested that haven't popped in.

@Breezy134 ; @bilbo ; @shadowhills (Slasher) ; @Aman ; @Briar_Rose ; @Sky_Tenshi ; @insanebutvain ; @donteatpoop ; @Mayana ; @MsGwinn

December Contest

7 years ago
I was tagged? Oh? Never made a story on here before, don't have any good plans eather. Well, guess maybe? Will think about it.

December Contest

7 years ago
Consider it a gentle nudge.

December Contest

7 years ago
Well, thank you. Really not sure, my writing and riming skills are not all that good.

December Contest

7 years ago

“riming skills are not all that good.”

Fortunately, it’s not that kind of contest. If it was, Steve would have signed up and licked everyone as usual.

December Contest

7 years ago
Ha, I laughed at that too.

December Contest

7 years ago
Damn it, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that, I was just very tired and couldn't remember how the word was spelled.

December Contest

7 years ago

@Digit

You already did a poem story thingy, up for a repeat?

December Contest

7 years ago

What the hell, why not.

Put me down for 125.

December Contest

7 years ago

You guessed right, ballads are my jam.

December Contest

7 years ago
* @skytenshi

And honestly, @Danaos - I want to see why kind of pure malice you would write.

December Contest

7 years ago

What's a ballad?

December Contest

7 years ago

Click the link Bucky included in the thread.

December Contest

7 years ago

Join the contest Dan, Mizal wants to see what robot poetry looks like.

December Contest

7 years ago

Then maybe s/he (I don't know what Mizal is) should ask a robot to write a poem for him/her.

December Contest

7 years ago
I'd rather just see a @Danaos ballad.

December Contest

7 years ago
I'm going to regret this, I'm sure. But it might at least force me to write, and with some luck it might not even be shit! And if I don't, at least I'll have shame. Put me up for 125!

December Contest

7 years ago

Naughty…

Mizal 125
IAP 125
Malk 125
Mason 25
Lancelot 75
Orange 25
Negative 125
Romulus 125
SMTC 25
Minnie 25
Will 125
WIBN 125
Seto 125
Pugpup 75
Mayana 125
Digit 125

December Contest

7 years ago
If you talk to DEP in the graveyard, give him a heads up.

December Contest

7 years ago

December Contest

7 years ago

You got me... I'll put down however many points I got. 

December Contest

7 years ago
Why even ask me to help you with a name? Do you want that picture of you in the hardhat for your avatar? I still have it!

End, if we're doing negative points, put her in for the whole shipload, to make her shame all the greater if she backs out on me again. She promised to enter the last contest too.

December Contest

7 years ago

Done.

Thot is in for 125 points. She only gets points back now if she wins.

December Contest

7 years ago

Only if she wins? Is that in the rules, am I misreading, or is that extra punishment?

December Contest

7 years ago

If you go into debt, you only get the points back if you win.

December Contest

7 years ago

Damn... That's harsh. Lucky IF I enter with 25 points I'll get them back. Phewf. *waves hand dismissively* I'll probably enter for 25 when I'm sure I can do it. Until then.

December Contest

7 years ago
In for a lamb, may as well make it a sheep.

December Contest

7 years ago

Still Naughty…

Mizal 125
IAP 125
Malk 125
Mason 25
Lancelot 75
Orange 25
Negative 125
Romulus 125
SMTC 25
Minnie 25
Will 125
WIBN 125
Seto 125
Pugpup 75
Mayana 125
Digit 125
Ford 125
Thot 125

December Contest

7 years ago

When was that thread to post our entries going up again?

Though I might just set this aside, still mulling over ideas for something more ambitious.

December Contest

7 years ago
The week of the deadline.

December Contest

7 years ago

Since this is a quite excellent way to procrastinate during exam season, and I kinda already finished a poem, put me down for another 125... I'm going to regret this, aren't I?

December Contest

7 years ago

Rom is in for 250 now.

Can any of you truly call yourselves competitors without doing the same?

December Contest

7 years ago

Well, since I'm still struggling with my first ballad, I think I'm going to play it on the safe side and make this one before thinking about making more.

God, I haven't done this in awhile XD

December Contest

7 years ago

I haven't written a ballad before, and trying to make imagery, plot, and song-likeness in one poem looks intimidating.

December Contest

7 years ago

I'm interested. Put me down for 125 points. C:

December Contest

7 years ago
osht

December Contest

7 years ago

It'd be nice to at least try to participate in a contest, but writing a ballad? Entry fee? miss me with that gay shit boi I think I'll pass.

December Contest

7 years ago
put this man down for 125

December Contest

7 years ago

o

December Contest

7 years ago
Cool. You could have just not posted.

December Contest

7 years ago

Are there any expectations on length at all? I think that is a fair question. Would 20 lines, for example, if well written be acceptable, or are lengthier entries more encouraged?

December Contest

7 years ago
Well, it has to be long enough to tell your story. But I'm a proponent of the concept: Your story should be as long as it needs to be to tell the tale. No longer. No shorter.

Obviously, if you so something like this:

Billy liked to play ball
One day he heard mom call
Too bad he never saw the car
His body flew very far

It isn't going to be considered a good faith effort.

December Contest

7 years ago

Still Naughty…

Mizal 125
IAP 125
Malk 125
Mason 25
Lancelot 75
Orange 25
Romulus 250
SMTC 25
Minnie 25
Will 125
WIBN 125
Seto 125
Pugpup 75
Mayana 125
Digit 125
Ford 125
Thot 125
Hatter: 125

SHAME FOREVER

Negative

December Contest

7 years ago
Not quite sure how you go from wanting to write a contest entry to leaving the site in a matter of less than a week.

December Contest

7 years ago
Please no, don't throw me down the #ShameForever Well! *cries hot tears* Accept this my lord Bucky - 125 points! (Read: I bet 250 points instead of 125)

December Contest

7 years ago

Okay so you're in for another 125. I'll just mark that in addition to your resurrection fee.

December Contest

7 years ago
I was going to suggest a new official site rule that people who post they're leaving forever and come back get a penalty for being annoying. But I see our supreme overlord has already gone ahead and taken care of it.

December Contest

7 years ago

Whoa that is a high price for coming back...

December Contest

7 years ago

Sometimes dead is better...

December Contest

7 years ago

I'm thinking about this. I have allot of appreciation for ballads, but I'm not sure I'm fit for the task.

December Contest

7 years ago

There are many, many things I regret in my time here on Earth.
From the very, very present to my very, very birth.
I shall add this to that long, long list of transpired aberrations.
Put me down for 125 and I shall create my abominations.

December Contest

7 years ago
Good man.

December Contest

7 years ago

Looks like you'll have to update your profile since you are indeed participating in the contest :P

Oh, and I see that you have your own title as well :o That's pretty cool.

December Contest

7 years ago

Ah yes, I forgot about that decision.

And thank you, though Seto is the one who came to that inclusion.

December Contest

7 years ago

Is that so? I certainly find it interesting. So much so that I have my own special title now :3

Well, good luck with the contest, Banner.

December Contest

7 years ago

Mmmh, apple pie...

And thank you, I'll complete this ballad; that's not a lie!

December Contest

7 years ago

Oof i'm feeling so impatient...

I can't wait to see the awesome things everyone writes!

December Contest

7 years ago

God Damn, you had to do this during finals week!? 

*Sigh* put me down for 125 points.

December Contest

7 years ago

Glad you're joining! Ballads are a good fit with the kind of stuff you write IMO, but I wasn't sure if you'd be around in time to write anything.

December Contest

7 years ago
Glad you entered, bilbo. Cheers!

December Contest

7 years ago

Also my next question is when writing it, should we write it the same way we'd write a storygame? As in, click on Create a Storygame, then write our ballad.

December Contest

7 years ago

If you want to make it a CYOA-style ballad, you can, but there's going to be a thread put up for non-CYOA-style entries directly onto that thread.

December Contest

7 years ago

But even though the thread isn't up yet, we CAN start writing our stories now?

December Contest

7 years ago

Yes. How else will you get it finished? (Why else would this contest be posted now? To give people some time to write!)

December Contest

7 years ago

That moment when lack of sleep destroys my common sense...

December Contest

7 years ago

As Naughty As They Wanna Be…

Mizal 125

IAP 125

Malk 125

Mason 25

Lancelot 75

Orange 25

Romulus 250

SMTC 25

Minnie 25

Will 125

WIBN 125

Seto 125

Pugpup 75

Mayana 125

Digit 125

Ford 125

Thot 125

Hatter 125

Banner 125

Bilbo 125

SHAME FOREVER

Negative 250

December Contest

7 years ago

I'm already deep in the hole, but screw it, I'm feeling it. Put me down for 250.

December Contest

7 years ago

Now that's what I like to see in a contestant, complete disregard for the consequences and doubling down with shit they don't even have!

Okay, 250. You'll have to submit two stories/ballads and win the contest to get any points.

Good luck!

December Contest

7 years ago

How exciting! ^-^

December Contest

7 years ago

Damn, that's a risky move. I hope you manage to get out of, "The Hole."

December Contest

7 years ago

It's going to start snowballing. Maybe they'll purposely not vote his ballads so that he can't win. xD

December Contest

7 years ago

That would be so cruel XD

December Contest

7 years ago
Wait what? I will have to submit two stories AND win to get back the 250 bet? Whaaaaaa? ...I will just pretend this contest doesn't exist.

December Contest

7 years ago

One less contestant to worry about.

December Contest

7 years ago

What did you think was gonna happen....?

December Contest

7 years ago

You'll get your points back and you'll get the points from the reward for winning. So you should be back in the positive if you win. You don't need to win with both submissions, just one of them will do.

Having multiple submissions just increases your odds of winning, but you're also risking more.

I can put you down for another 125 if you think it will increase your chances...

December Contest

7 years ago

Lol. I don't think you should push your luck. XD

December Contest

7 years ago

@EndMaster Just to be clear -- that means if I hand in both of them and win, I'll get 100 points in addition to my 250 points back?

December Contest

7 years ago

Yeah, you always get the 100 reward for winning.

December Contest

7 years ago

Hey End!

How do you like a contestant with even more disregard for consequences and quadrupling bets that he can't pay for?

Put me down for another 250. I'm ready to crush the competition!

December Contest

7 years ago

... This can't be serious XD

I hope you do well though! ^-^

December Contest

7 years ago

The way I see it, the only way I could really go is up. I got the plans for the first 2 done, am currently writing them in my notepad, and will get to work on the other two shortly. Plus, the weekend gives me free time.

I'm certainly the underdog here.

December Contest

7 years ago

T-Count is now in for 500

If this was real life, he'd currently be selling his car and wife's wedding ring because he already used all their life savings and their children's college fund.

And he'd STILL be in debt to the mob.

So far he's my favorite contestant.

December Contest

7 years ago

Put me down for 25 points. 

December Contest

7 years ago

The Naughty…

Ben 25
Mason 25
Minnie 25
Orange 25
SMTC 25
Lancelot 75
Pugpup 75
Banner 125
Bilbo 125
Digit 125
Ford 125
Hatter 125
IAP 125
Malk 125
Mayana 125
Mizal 125
Seto 125
WIBN 125
Will 125
Romulus 250

The Hopeless…
Thot 125
Negative 250

The Damned…
T-Count 500

December Contest

7 years ago

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddd...... I'm done! I may not be the best at storygames, but poetry is my forte. Just didn't wanna enter at first bc of the point fee, but went ahead anyway. Although I will admit that the ballad is based off an Irish folk story, the character's names, everything that is said, and even some minor parts of the story are of my own design.

December Contest

7 years ago

The Damned…
T-Count 500

Thank you for the vote of confidence.

December Contest

7 years ago

So, uh, just put me for the whole 125 points instead of 75. I feel like doing just 75 is kinda cowardly at this point.

December Contest

7 years ago

Can I change my bet from 25 to 125 or is that not allowed? If it isn't, may I add 125 to my bet?

December Contest

7 years ago

You can do either, or both if you want.

December Contest

7 years ago

How about both; I'm almost done with one.

December Contest

7 years ago

You do realize this'll put you in the negative?

Trust me, it's not that fun here...

December Contest

7 years ago

Put you down for another 225.

December Contest

7 years ago

Put me down for 125 please. :D

December Contest

7 years ago

The Naughty…

Ben 25

Mason 25

Minnie 25

Providence 25

SMTC 25

Pugpup 75

Frank 100

Banner 125

Bilbo 125

Crescent 125

Digit 125

Ford 125

Hatter 125

IAP 125

Lancelot 125

Malk 125

Mayana 125

Seto 125

WIBN 125

Will 125

Mizal 250

Romulus 250

The Hopeless…

Yellow 50

Thot 125

Negative 250

Orange 250

The Damned…

T-Count 500

December Contest

7 years ago

Damn, I'm in 'The Hopeless'.

December Contest

7 years ago

You put yourself there, buddy. Looks to me like the only way to pull yourself out of the hole with extra points to spare is to bet the full 125, so you get that 30 point bonus.

December Contest

7 years ago

Yeah, but I'm a stubborn mule who thinks they can win first place. Even though chances are low. Minimum chances.

December Contest

7 years ago

I hope you realize rating your game an 8 won't increase your chances of winning.

December Contest

7 years ago

Okay, this is hilarious. I can't wait for the people who are betting so much to lose.

There. I said it.

December Contest

7 years ago

*cries*

December Contest

7 years ago

HA! @MasonJarGuzzi, you git! Guess how many points you got back?!

SHAME, git, SHAME!

I had to get that off my chest.

December Contest

7 years ago
Everyone with negative points will sell his soul to Endmaster after the results. Glad I made from Shame Forever to Hopeless. ^-^

December Contest

7 years ago

25 points because I don't trust myself enough for more than that

December Contest

7 years ago

Put me down for 125 more, I'll see what I can do this weekend.

December Contest

7 years ago

Gosh darn it.

Excuse me for inquiring, but would you happen to be writing a CYOA ballad?

edit: @mizal Sorry if I'm being intrusive.

December Contest

7 years ago

I don't share information with the enemy.

December Contest

7 years ago

"I'm curious what plans you have for your ballad too, since that's the one with the rapidly approaching deadline and all. No one's talked much about what they're working on, I'm still waiting to see if anyone attempts an actual CYOA in that style." -mizal (In Seto's procrastination thread)

I'll answer that here. I have slightly less than two pages for my, metered in the beginning, certain rhyme patterns that drop off near the end, and a Christmas-y-ish theme to it.

December Contest

7 years ago

Obviously, she tries to lure info out of us while remaining discreet herself. No good spy.

(Not that I could judge.)

December Contest

7 years ago

Lol. I don't mind sharing information if I can help (though I won't be precise about it).

December Contest

7 years ago

I will let on that I'm writing something very stupid right now, and it wasn't what I planned.

December Contest

7 years ago

Oh. Will you also divulge information on if you have any themes to it? >~< Or am I asking for too much?

December Contest

7 years ago

Also, I used this as my format rhyme scheme. Who the hell do I send it to or do I post it here?

December Contest

7 years ago

As said previously by Bucky and repeated multiple times, there's supposed to be a thread put up for it.

December Contest

7 years ago

Understand I wouldn't have asked if I bothered to read the other 191 posts. Other than the initial post there was no reason for me to read anymore.

December Contest

7 years ago

You're going to do so well. I can sense it.

December Contest

7 years ago

Your sarcasm is unwanted.

December Contest

7 years ago

Sarcasm is ALWAYS wanted.

December Contest

7 years ago

Aight, I'm joining. 1 -> 2 or whatever.

December Contest

7 years ago

You people are killing me.

EDIT: How many points?

December Contest

7 years ago

I made a typo, but I meant put me down for 10. You can tell past that, I believe. I don't know how this shit works.

December Contest

7 years ago

Maybe you could read the OP to see how this shit works. That's kind of what the OP is there for, I'm confused how you even knew there was a contest without it, honestly.

December Contest

7 years ago

Damn it, this site's best insulter just insulted me. I read it, I put my points down, but didn't understand it fully. That's what 10 -> 20 was. Yes, I know, I am shit.

December Contest

7 years ago

Minimum bet is 25, but you can bet up 125. (Or more if you submit more than one entry)

You might as well go for 125 since you get the points back as long as you submit something and win.

December Contest

7 years ago

Damn, I really am bad at this. I'll go for 50...

December Contest

7 years ago

Okay then 50 it is.

Now remember since you went into debt, you also need to win in order to get your bet back. But I'm sure you'll be able to do it.

Good luck!

December Contest

7 years ago

End, I'm pretty sure he typoed again. He meant 500.

December Contest

7 years ago

I'm actually considering that now.

December Contest

7 years ago

You'll definitely increase your odds of winning.

December Contest

7 years ago

Well, I love debt. You can tell from my points.

December Contest

7 years ago

Uh, reviewing my ballads. They have imagery, but they seem to be more plot than imagery. Is that a good thing?

December Contest

7 years ago

If you don't think your ballads are good enough you could do four more for another 500 points to increase your odds of winning.

Let me know if you wish to do this and I can help you out.

December Contest

7 years ago

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.

December Contest

7 years ago

That's debatable, at this point.

The contest seems to use a very, very loose definition of ballads however. It may be a factor in judging but it seems difficult to actually get disqualified.

December Contest

7 years ago

You aren't crazy or insane.

You're damned.

December Contest

7 years ago
Writing Workshop Thread for poem and short story entries will be put up tomorrow night. A link will be provided here.

Please post the title of your entry at the top of the post.
Please make a separate post for each entry if you have multiple.
Please lock your entry post to prevent editing.

Feel no need to rush to submit your entries as there is still plenty of time left in the contest.

For ballad CYOA entries, please provide a link in the Writing Workshop Thread to your story when you publish it.

December Contest

7 years ago

The title is supposed to be in the post itself, not in the subject line, right?

December Contest

7 years ago
You can do that too if you want, just so long as it's clearly labeled.

December Contest

7 years ago

@EndMaster Being a bit of a rat here, but you put Lance down for 125, but he only has 75 points deducted.

December Contest

7 years ago

Yep, fixed. Thanks.

Remember, it's not ratting if you're reporting to me, it's upholding the integrity of the site!

December Contest

7 years ago

What's the max Play Length for a short story? I get carried away when I write...

December Contest

7 years ago

Are you writing a CYOA ballad?

December Contest

7 years ago

"Contestants may write their entry in the form of: poem, short story, or CYOA ballad. "

December Contest

7 years ago

Well, anyway, there's no max or min according to the previous posts.

December Contest

7 years ago

Yeah, but what would make it considered a short story? If I wrote over 1000 words, it's not a short story, mostly.

December Contest

7 years ago
A short story is under 7500 words.

December Contest

7 years ago

I read somewhere that for competitions, it's usually 1,000-5,000. Don't worry too much about it. Just make sure you have a good plot, imagery, and possibly rhythmic pattern.

December Contest

7 years ago

Goddamn it >~<

December Contest

7 years ago

*innocent look as I take out notepad* So... Why is that?

December Contest

7 years ago

>~< my "short" stories might be longer than 7.5k

I need to reclassify some of my stuff now.

December Contest

7 years ago
That word count goes with the technical definition, we don't really use anything that strict around here.

Though if you were planning to put it all in one post, readability might be an issue.

December Contest

7 years ago

Wasn't really speaking of my poem since my poem is rather...short compared to the others I've seen.

I was thinking of some of my stories I've posted somewhere else that I've said were "short" stories xD

December Contest

7 years ago

...So you're saying my 15.000 word rhyming CYOA ballad written in pyrrhic spondaic hexameter doesn't count as a short story?

December Contest

7 years ago
Don't listen to the plebeians. We're all looking forward to your entry.

EDIT: Okay, that was a little harsh.

For those who keep bickering about the short story... the"short story" category doesn't have a length requirement because it's simply a format to write your ballad other than a prototypical poem or multi-path story.

I'm not sure how many times we have to repeat: focus on a direct story and imagery. Bonus if you can do rhyme and rhythm. Put out a good faith effort. That's all you have to do. The guidelines are very broad to give the participants creative freedom. Please stop fretting over length. Give us your best quality.

December Contest

7 years ago

I was also totally not bluffing to try and scare the competition, please don't get high expectations. Okay, will do.

December Contest

7 years ago
You wouldn't have surprised anyone if you did.

Hmmm... mizal must be rubbing off on people.

December Contest

7 years ago

Basically think of it like sex, it’s all about the quality and focus, not how big your dick or tits happen to be. Yeah it helps, but if you're just flopping it about and not really using it effectively then you just end up with a subpar experience.

Also you get bonus points for being in rhythm with your partner.

December Contest

7 years ago

Nice analogy.

December Contest

7 years ago

All I asked was if there was a limit for a short story...then this...

December Contest

7 years ago

Uhhh..... That would just be in the CYOA form, not short story form.

December Contest

7 years ago

Something inside me just died. I hope this is a joke.

December Contest

7 years ago
He's just a dog. Dogs can't write poetry.

....actually, neither can wolves. Both of you get out of this contest and go chase a cat or something. :[

e: There's one right above you. Kill it.

December Contest

7 years ago

Canines do struggle with literature and writing, but never let it be said we haven't tried.

December Contest

7 years ago

I'm not a gosh darn cat. Jeezus. ;-; I'm just a half-human fox making my way through CYS. *is killed by tcount*

December Contest

7 years ago
I'm sorry for making this post, I should've realized the contest is not strict on length. Please excuse me for my ignorance.

December Contest

7 years ago
Don't worry about it. Good luck with your entry.

December Contest

7 years ago

The Naughty…

Ben 25

Mason 25

Minnie 25

Providence 25

SMTC 25

Pugpup 75

Blaze 100

Frank 100

Banner 125

Bilbo 125

Brad 125

Digit 125

Ford 125

Hatter 125

IAP 125

Lancelot 125

Malk 125

Mayana 125

Seto 125

WIBN 125

Will 125

Crescent 200

Mizal 250

Romulus 250

The Hopeless…

Yellow 50

Thot 125

Negative 250

Orange 250

The Damned…

T-Count 500

December Contest

7 years ago

I just realized that the deadline is Dec 19 (not 13 as I had thought). *facedesk*

Did you guys put up the thread for entries yet?

December Contest

7 years ago

Hello! I would love to enter! This will be so much fun Put me down for 100Pts.

December Contest

7 years ago

The thread is being put up today, right? :)

December Contest

7 years ago
Tomorrow is my physics exam (that I am going to fail) and I am watching Foxes, Dead Bones, Destroyed of Worlds, and Hentai Cats, all writing poems...(sigh)

December Contest

7 years ago

Hentai...Cats? o-o

Please tell me that is not what it sounds like.

December Contest

7 years ago
I can see, what you can see, when you see the word, 'Hentai Cats' xd!

December Contest

7 years ago

December Contest

7 years ago

I am too scared to be the first to post. :/

Dear god. I am pathetic.

In my defense, it is truly a terrible ballad compared to all the ones I've seen :) so I have the right to be nervous xD

December Contest

7 years ago
Well, actually, Will has already posted his, even if not in the contest thread yet. So you won't be first. Besides, it can't be worse from mine. Yours at least is finished.

December Contest

7 years ago

There are moments when something unfinished is potentially better than something finished :P

December Contest

7 years ago

It applies completely to mine. XD Mine lacks good imagery.

December Contest

7 years ago

Mine lacks a coherent plot, and good imagery >~<

Hewlp me. I can't write poems. WHY DID I SIGN UP FOR THIS AGAIN? D:

Remorse hangs like a dark and bitter fruit T_T

December Contest

7 years ago
Mine is about candles. A ballad about candles. You can't do worse I'm sure.

December Contest

7 years ago

Yes. Yes I can do worse.

And just because the ballad is on a certain topic, does not make it bad. :P

And the reverse is true as well.

December Contest

7 years ago

Candles aren't terrible. Tons of good imagery can come from them. I love candles. They smell nice, and.......THE FIRE....*laughs maniacally*   

December Contest

7 years ago

My road to salvation. Too bad I'm too busy to post anything today. Shame too. I wanted to be first.

December Contest

7 years ago

@Bucky Are CYOA ballads viewed more favorably than other formats in the judging of this contest? Like, if two ballads were of equal quality, but one was a CYOA, would the storygame win?

December Contest

7 years ago
Going to make a feedback thread at some point. Probably later tonight. Or tomorrow. Soon.

December Contest

7 years ago

December Contest

7 years ago

Oh. Feedback thread. I am literally scared right now T_T

December Contest

7 years ago

Nice...

*Hides in the corner, waiting to get bad reviews and have people throw tomatoes*

December Contest

7 years ago

Yours was better than mine so *shrugs*

December Contest

7 years ago

Oh golly, put me in for 125.

December Contest

7 years ago

I know I said I'd post today, but I'll probably be scrapping my second entry and the third one I'd started. 

The CYOA I may put up later but it was a just for fun thing and not really a ballad, I don't want it associated with the contest.

December Contest

7 years ago

I have an urge to submit another entry...or two...>~>

December Contest

7 years ago

Seto! *facedesk*

December Contest

7 years ago

What? D:

December Contest

7 years ago

Well, you've got the points...

December Contest

7 years ago

That is true xD

December Contest

7 years ago

I feel like such an outlier... I only have 500 points while everyone else is in their thousands XD

Except T Count.

December Contest

7 years ago

Well, read stories and get points :)

December Contest

7 years ago

I have found the answer to life!

December Contest

7 years ago

Oh yeah? What if I bet 500 more points? Then I'd be in my negative thousands. Ha!

December Contest

7 years ago

Do it. Do it, I dare you. As a dog, I double dog dare you to do it,

December Contest

7 years ago

You ARE insane...

December Contest

7 years ago

Yes, Debt Hell is nice this time of year.

December Contest

7 years ago

... You're forgetting me... ;-;

December Contest

7 years ago

Since this thread is slowing down a little and there aren't really any major examples of ballads in the OP, just slapping down a link to a classic. 

Rime of the Ancient Mariner

This and Beowulf are the first things I think of when I think of ballads. Anyone else have a favorite?

December Contest

7 years ago
In the OP there is a link, on the page that it leads to are a fiew examples as well. I checked out some of them, and liked this one the most because of its story and the emotions shown in it: The Ballad of Reading Gaol

December Contest

7 years ago

Hm.. I want to write another ballad. Put me down for 75. :) *is going insane*

December Contest

7 years ago

The Naughty…

Ben 25

Mason 25

Minnie 25

Providence 25

SMTC 25

Pugpup 75

Blaze 100

Frank 100

Banner 125

Bilbo 125

Brad 125

Digit 125

Ford 125

Hatter 125

IAP 125

Lancelot 125

Malk 125

Mayana 125

Seto 125

WIBN 125

Will 125

Crescent 200

Mizal 250

Romulus 250

The Hopeless…

Yellow 50

Thot 125

Negative 250

Orange 250

The Damned…

T-Count 500

(Hopefully the last update on this)

December Contest

7 years ago
Thank you for your service.

December Contest

7 years ago

That is a lot of people. Did the people who signed up all already submit an entry? Who shall fall to shame?

December Contest

7 years ago
I'm sure someone will. I haven't started reading them yet. Will probably go through them tomorrow. Was busy all day today.

December Contest

7 years ago
@bilbo You're pretty okay for a CYStian, please don't fall into the bottomless pit of SHAME.

December Contest

7 years ago
I have failed you my master *runs around in circles, laughing maniacly*

December Contest

7 years ago
@Endmaster

We're supposed to get bonus points for completing entries, don't forget. Not just the original bets back.

December Contest

7 years ago

Yeh T.T

I need mah five extra points.

December Contest

7 years ago

Ugh, now I have to go back and add all this extra shit. Bucky's a fucking retard for putting in that clause and you're a fucking snitch for calling attention to it.

You all should be grateful I'm giving you your points back at all. I hate all of you.

Lol.

December Contest

7 years ago

Well, there would be no point in giving up 125 points as a bet to get 125 points would there xD

That's like walking into a store and saying, "Hey, I'll give you ten bucks and write you a ballad, but in return, you have to give me ten bucks."

December Contest

7 years ago
It was IAP who noticed actually, he spends his evenings spamming F5 on his points page I guess.

Also lol if you thought you'd somehow get by with absolutely no one noticing the points daddy failed to deliver.

December Contest

7 years ago

Oddly I would have thought Seto would notice first.

December Contest

7 years ago
I just noticed that the highest all of the non winners can be rewarded is 50 points. Lel.

December Contest

7 years ago
It's 25 max for one entry, and everyone else noticed that 18 days ago. Guess you and End really do have a lot in common! ^^

December Contest

7 years ago
Yeah. We also both have more points than you, and we did have matching titles, but that was too much similarities that we were beginning to share.

I was too busy to notice with all of the patrolling off-site and staving off dangerous point bandits.

December Contest

7 years ago

"We also both have more points then you"

That was a low blow. xD

December Contest

7 years ago
It really was. Without points, my family will starve.

December Contest

7 years ago

Had to deduct points from you and Will since I initially gave you too many. Hopefully, you and your family will be able to make it through the winter.

December Contest

7 years ago

If mizals family dies, EndMaster will just have more souls to eat guide, and he already has enough on his plate to do

Hopefully they survive.

December Contest

7 years ago

I actually did notice slightly before sending you "Thank you", but thought it was something for later, not that you'd forgotten. XD

December Contest

7 years ago

Anyone gonna write another ballad in the next 2.5 hours? You could just do a 25 point one. XD

December Contest

7 years ago

@EndMaster there's a bonus, as well. 

December Contest

7 years ago

Everyone now has their precious bonus points (Except for the deadbeats, the hopeless and the damned of course)

December Contest

7 years ago

The Soon To Be SHAMED

Ben 25

Mason 25

Providence 25

SMTC 25

Blaze 100

Bilbo 125

As Well As Being Hopeless…

Yellow 50

Negative 250

December Contest

7 years ago
So, Negative dug himself in deep, huh. And then fell asleep at the bottom of the hole without even a token attempt at escape. SMH.

December Contest

7 years ago

Apparently he just went plum loco at the end considering his last post is:

"I have failed you my master *runs around in circles, laughing maniacly*

December Contest

7 years ago

Think he'll make another "I'm leaving" post or something?

December Contest

7 years ago

Wouldn't surprise me.

If Negative had at least TRIED, he could have at least gotten back in the positive again.

December Contest

7 years ago

Would you look at that?

Thank you, my dark liege. I'll use this gift fruitfully.

December Contest

7 years ago

So, @EndMaster? When can we see an official Wall of SHAME?

December Contest

7 years ago

Yeah, I'll make one eventually. Probably after all the judging though maybe before.

December Contest

7 years ago

I am coming to the realization that betting with points I don't have does not work the way I thought/hoped it did. I wrote two ballads and lost points for being greedy and trying to get the max bonus points. Karma? Haha, I had fun writing so still a win.

December Contest

7 years ago
Bucky who are the winners????? *incoherent squawking* hurry up ur slow!!!!

December Contest

7 years ago

It's only been a day! Calm your nerves. XD

December Contest

7 years ago
He had concerns so I decided to head the others off at the pass.

December Contest

7 years ago

Oh, and why "winners"??

December Contest

7 years ago
We'll announce the results when all the judges get through everything. There was some really good content here. Great work everyone.

December Contest

7 years ago

Will the judges make a review or comment on the individual entries?

December Contest

7 years ago
I won't speak for anyone else, but I may give some comments to a few entrants. Though I'm not going to do an in depth review for each entry.

December Contest

7 years ago

The Result Thread is up.