Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Hello all,

Some news to announce!

This week I convened with alexp and he transferred me the code base for the website. Basically, what this means is that I can now start to work on fixing some of the bugs and implementing some of the features that have been requested. I think this is really great news and we have the opportunity to really improve the website; hopefully, 2017 can become a renaissance of sorts for the CYS codebase. I’ve already implemented a few changes on the test website (not online – more on these features later) and they should get pushed up to the live website sometime in the near future. At this point, I’m not willing to commit to a date or even a more specific timeframe.

Okay, so now that I’ve got your hopes up, it’s time to temper your expectations. There are three major reasons that development of site features could be slow:

1. The codebase is a mess. For those of you who know who alexp is, you’re aware that he’s a very accomplished software developer, and much more talented than I am. That said, he wrote a lot of this website more than 15 years ago, and much of the “newer” parts are still 10+ years old. I’m dealing with unfamiliar technology and some crazy design decisions that are not very modern. Essentially, there are some things that might seem easy to do that will actually be super challenging, so I’ll need to be selective of the projects that I take on.
  2. I start full-time gainful employment on Monday! Don’t forget that this is a hobby for me and some months I’ll probably accomplish nothing.
  3. For now, Alex has to push the code changes to the website. For that reason, I’m going to try to lump large updates together so that he doesn’t have to regularly push changes.

Additionally, I’ll probably create new bugs as I try to fix things and implement new features. You’ll have to be patient with me as I figure out how to handle this rather large and unwieldy project. That said, I’m super excited! I’ve wanted to work on the CYS code for a very long time.

The first update will probably be quite small as I’m mostly just figuring out how things work. Here’s what you can expect:

Small changes and bug fixes

1. Minimum site standards will be linked to in the ‘create game’ page and also in the ‘publish game’ page.
  2. The ‘warning’ about creating an advanced game will be removed to encourage users to use the advanced editor.
  3. The sneak preview option will be reworded to make it clear that users will be able to access your storygame.
  4. A number of typos will be fixed.
  5. A bug pertaining to infinite point users will be fixed.
  6. You will be able to see your storygame’s word count from the publish story page (in the same way that you can currently see page and link counts).

Profiles and Trophies

1. A new trophy will be created: The Community Contributor Trophy. Users will be rewarded for noteworthy contributions to the community that weren’t otherwise rewarded with EXP points. I’ve got an idea of who I will be giving these to, but if you have any recommendations, please use this survey: https://goo.gl/forms/HuKVvmL82B8zTGEV2. Feel free to nominate yourself and feel free to submit multiple nominations. You’ll be way more likely to be successful if you provide a thorough justification! Please do not nominate anyone via PMing me or posting in this thread.
  2. BerkaZerka will finally get his trophy!
  3. The use of javascript on profiles will be disabled. I know this will be frustrating for a number of users but live javascript code is a large security vulnerability. Additionally, a lot of the (very creative) usages of javascript create a real eyesore. I know CYS isn’t the most attractive site already, but clashing colors don’t help.
  4. Users who reach 5000 points will be given a hardcoded title of their choosing (subject to admin approval).

Forum Games

The forum games forum will be removed and replaced by a new forum called the ‘Creative Corner’.  We’ve been consciously trying to steer CYS further and further toward sophisticated and excellent writing, and this is the natural next step in the progression. The Creative Corner will be a place to write stories (including collaborative stories), to share your poems, or even to share artwork that accompanies your writing or might inspire other people to write. We feel that the forum games forum does more to detract from great writing than to encourage it, and this transition should be a continuation of the great trajectory that CYS is currently on. I would really like to encourage anyone who currently spends a lot of their CYS time in the forum games section to branch out and explore some of the storygames, and eventually, even contribute your own. We’d all benefit from your excellent creativity!

Please back up any content in that forum that you wish to keep.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Awesome all around!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Hooray! Congrats to Berka ^_^

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Make CYS great again! 2017 is going to be a good year. :D

I'd heard about a few of these but this is way more extensive than I expected. Creative Corner is confirmed now, hell yes! And I'm weirdly excited for word counts.

I feel bad about the profiles being removed when some people have put so much work into them, but yeah, the way programmer types would start laughing hysterically when they learned javascript can be used by anyone suggested to me a long time ago that it might be a bad idea.

And it's about time on Berka's trophy, glad you were able to figure out how to get that working again. He can retire his pretend one now. :P

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Can 3J make my real one glow too? XD

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Haha! If anyone's getting a glowing personal trophy it's me. Just kidding, maybe we'll save that for a 10000 point reward.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Something to look forward to!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

#MCYSGA

Thanks JJJ!

And thanks everyone for continuing to make great content despite having such an ancient site.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

*Reads username 100 times*

Is this the one i've heard so many legends about?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

*Checks profile of alexp then realizes he's the creator of this site*

Woah, It's the legendary alexp! He has finally arrived! Huzzah! :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Wow! Your reaction was like, almost exactly the same as mine! Great minds think alike, now let's drink some fizzy apple juice! :D

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I don't like apple juice. I prefer Orange Juice!

I'm pretty sure our reactions were different. Also, I'm pretty sure I heard this sentence before: "Great minds think alike." Must be my imagination...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

How would fizzy orange juice taste? o.o

It's a famous quote from Prof. NobodyKnowsMyName.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Did I just see a unicorn?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Yes

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

No, you have witnessed the divine presence of the creator himself.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Whoa. I skimmed right past him the first time, too.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Holy shit! Alexp is here!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

He was on late last night too :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Woo! It's about time Berka got a trophy.

I'm looking forward to these imporvements :D

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

No more forum games? I'm going to be on this site a lot less now.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

what!? I totally missed that part! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

It's not an outrage! It's a chance for you, and others like you, to contribute meaningfully to the writing website.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Well i've written seven storygames and still manage to balance forum games..

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Consider yourself an excellent manager of time!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

While i'm incredibly sad about the removal of forum games, i'll still try to understand and accept it I guess. If the mods hink its for the best then I guess they have good reasons. I'll still try my best to be active and stuff even without the forum games.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

That is a wonderful attitude. I'm really glad to hear it because I think you have the potential to write a featured story or two.

Every time major changes are announced, there is some controversy, but we've got a very good track record of making the right call.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Seven fairly shit story games, so maybe not the best balancing act in the world.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Only four were shit. The other three were semi-shit.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Four were scummy dogshit, three were just shit.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Fair enough.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I thought "The River of Fire" and "Insanity Castle" were pretty decent, but meh.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
I'm just confused as to how he totally missed the fattest paragraph with the bolded title....

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I hope you'll reconsider and try to contribute by writing a quality storygame or two. At the end of the day, if you're only looking to play forum games, then there are a number of other websites that you can access.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Websites without wonky messed up threads that sprawl all over the place, too. I've never understood why all the kids haven't been in Berka's loving care all this time, or wherever that place Derp made is.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Wolf God Empire (Run by Derpbacon) for all your forum game needs.

http://empireofthewolfgod.proboards.com/

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Mod approved forum game location!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Yep, can't go wrong there!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Ahahaha, of course you'd say this.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Of course! I think i'm the only CYS mod not banned on that site, LOL~

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

nah, they love me there. Derp actually unmodded someone for banning me, and then unbanned me.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
That was mighty nonpartisan of him! ;)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Thank's End, this is my new favorite site. :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I'm currently in the process of writing two storygames.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Excellent news! If you have any writing related questions, you should put them in the Writing Workshop. Opening your work up for critical appraisal is one of the best ways to get better.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
That's great, now you'll have a lot more time to work on them.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
The site was never meant to be a host for forum games, and the level of quality is pretty low compared to what it was when the forum game section was first created. There are lots of other options out there if that's all you came here for.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

My thoughts exactly. It was fine when it was used for Continent, Commander, and the like, but right now it's definitely more of a distraction than an asset.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

The man only lists his own games XD

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Noooo!!! I can't be a useless degenerate anymore!

Time to start being useful for CYS as a useful degenerate! 

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Definitely cool for Berka to finally get his own trophy.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I cri. I cheer. I cri again. I mostly cheer. I decide to cri again. Someone probably slaps me. Whelp. Nothing I can do about it but accept these changes and adapt, tho I do have to say, no offense to others who use Discord, but I can't stand RP's on that, but I suppose I won't be a bum and quit because Forum Games are being removed. I cri. I die, I get over it.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

A lot of avid RP players are really creative people. If we can do anything to aid your transition from RPs to writing, please let us know.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Chocolate cake?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I don't like Chocolate. I like Stawberry. And thanks 3J. I'll keep that in mind. 

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Unfortunately, my powers only extend so far. . .

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Discord is for chat. If you prefer forum RPs, there are forums specifically for those. (One is linked a few posts above.)

You'd likely find better quality RPers too, tbh. I was just browsing through your Halo thread and I honestly feel for you, you're putting effort into running these plots and getting absolutely nothing in return from your players.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Thanks mizal. I hear so much about you, all negative things, don't worry, and I'm glad my first interaction with you isn't bad. I'll also have to check that out. Has DerpBacon been on lately? I haven't seen him around..

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Once you start posting in the Writing Workshop, you'll see she's not so bad.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Dammit! I was trying me level best!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
This sounds fantastic!  We're actually going to become a real writing site instead of just a place to waste time.

And congrats, Berka, on finally getting your trophy!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Rest in peace, all 20000+ forum game posts i've made on this site.

I'll always vaguely remember you.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Whoa! A wild legend appears.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
WHY ARE YOU SIDEWAYS?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I don't know :'(

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

It seems like you're taking on quite the endeavor. Good luck, JJJ! 

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Thanks Orange! I'll do it at my own pace and only for as long as I'm enjoying it, so don't worry about me. That said, I've really wanted to do this for awhile so it's kind of a dream come true.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Out of curiosity, does the javascript restriction extend to storygames as well, or just profiles.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

This I haven't decided yet. Definitely profiles and forum posts and probably storygame pages... but maybe not in scripting windows. I'm really not sure yet. I get that there are big advantages (see: Zikara) but I'm worried about security.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
3J, good luck with your new job btw.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Thank you! I'm pretty nervous.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Yay, new stuff!

3J, good luck! Working through someone else's code can always be a serious challenge. I hope it is easier than you expect! And good luck with the new job, that's always exciting, too.

Two random thoughts:

What are the odds that BerkaZerka's trophy will be a hammer?

I like the idea of the creative corner -- will it be combined with writing workshop? If not, what's the differences between the two?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

The Writing Workshop will be for writing related questions ("how do I progress a plot?", "does this character motivation make sense?") where the Creative Corner will be for posting WIP stories, or other forms of art.

Thanks!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Ah, I see, thanks!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
As far as I understand it the WW would remain for discussion of work in progress CYOAs or people with questions or looking for serious feedback, and the Creative Corner more for showing off and having fun. Writing prompt threads, short stories, threads for things like the Council stuff, collaborative stories, art and poetry, etc.

e: too slow

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

This is excellent news, coagulations to Berka

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

RIP Forum Games

We had some good times.

Looking forward to the new forum, and congrats to BZ for finally getting his trophy.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

This sounds great 3J! Thanks in advance for making CYS great again.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Thanks for your contributions! Expect to get your hard earned contest winners trophy as well.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

YES! CYS will no longer be completely stagnant in terms of updates! I'm especially looking forward to Creative Corner and a built-in word count.

Also, are you able to access and change/delete articles?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Articles are definitely a huge priority, and probably something I'll look to do on the second update.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I used to be very obsessed with Forum Games, but I understand why they really need to stop. Looking forward to Creative Corner.  

And congrats to JJJ and Berka :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Well shit. I CALL FOR A REVOLUTION! TEAR DOWN THE SITE!

Just kidding, I understand that this is a writing site and not an RPing site. Hell, maybe this will finally motivate me to focus on my off-site RPs or actually get to work writing Hazelmyre (I wrote two sentences last night and reworked some of the existing story. That is the most progress I've made on it in months). And the Creative Corner sounds like it'll be a great new addition to the site.

I look forward to the new changes and Berka finally getting a trophy.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Find an RPG group IRL and focus on your writing. You can pirate the D&D books easy, or find 3.5 stuff on the cheap. You'll get to roleplay, and you'll get some much-needed social practice.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

'much-needed social practice'

Pffft. Man, I don't need any social practice. Girls drool all over my Cheeto-stained neckbeard and Drive jacket.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Send me updates on Hazelmyre if you want someone to guilt you into making progress. I remember you posting a sample and it was actually good. Finishing that story is a much better use of your time than whatever tomfoolery and malarkey you've been getting up to in the tard playpen.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Exciting! It's very nice to see that pride is still being taken in this old thing.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Exciting! May I suggest we change the name of the site to temporaryaccount.com?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Denied.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Well, I'm pretty sure that's what he expected xD

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I upvote this.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

That domain is actually currently for sale. The more you know!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Banned.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Right before the big update too. That would suck.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Does removing JS mean removing CSS/HTML abilities?

If so, will there be implementation of BB code or markdown (at least in forums)?

Profiles are mostly made with HTML/CSS. JS does the annoying stuff like animations and music, but backgrounds are pure HTML. It would kind of suck to not have those capabilities, and those languages are almost purely for visualization within a browser and pose no threat to security.

Perhaps some guidelines for those wishing to code on their profiles with HTML/CSS? Like how alexp says to not cover/remove the site header on profiles, but a bit more specific. Like "No flashing backgrounds" or "No embeded music players" etc etc.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Currently, I'm removing the ability to use the body, style, or script tags. It will be something that you can probably find a way to get around, but you could face serious punishments if you do. If you use HTML/CSS to make a non-intrusive, non-annoying profile page, you won't get it any trouble, regardless of the technology that you use. However, if backgrounds/cursers/music/etc. is implemented, then you'll be in some trouble. Also messing with the site roles will get you in trouble.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
no backgrounds? ;-; can we change background color? shit burns my eyes man.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

No backgrounds. You probably shouldn't be staring at your own profile for long enough to matter. They just look really bad. Very clashy with the rest of the site.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
well the rest of the site should conform to my space background clearly it's the best and makes the whole half-white screen much more bearable e-e

Can I change #BodyContainer .main-content? ;-; it will look so nice when I get done with custom graphics.

Can Chanbot keep his dark-theme? ;-; it's so pretty and people actually do stare at his profile for lengthy amounts of time at 4AM...people besides me...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

The half white screen thing is definitely annoying and something I'll look at in the future... but obviously not with a repetitive space background lol. That looks awful.

I'm not very familiar with the HTML/CSS format of the site yet so I don't know if you can change that container. I'm guessing not, but if you do it, take screenshot, then undo it, we can see.

Chanbot cannot keep his dark theme.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
.maincontent in red

.footercontent is basically maincontent but the part that holds "who is online"

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Right, that makes sense.

What do you want to do to Main Content besides setting a background which is now illegal?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
change color of maincontent to darker...it'd at least help something. I'm not changing the background of the site, just the bgcolor of that piece. really that's the only thing that's absolutely necessary to go with most graphics/things I care about like Chanbot's tables and charts or the graphics I've already made.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Like I said, if you can do something that is seriously not intrusive, then I probably won't have a problem with it. Wait for the update to get pushed to the site, then do what you want, just don't do anything intrusive that clashes with the site.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

What if Users can have the ability to change the Background color of their choice, which doesn't affect other users of course, just for them, I mean, it'd be useful...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

That's called 'skinning'. Go ahead and suggest it in the FWW. That won't be a high priority feature for me though.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Yeah! I totally meant to say 'skinning', but didn't know if you guys would understand it >w>

You are all so much smarter than me.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

No more script tags? Well, there goes the changing quotes on Brad's profile (and on mine, albeit I can do without it).

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I'd suggest re-reading the OP.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Oh. Right. Didn't see the part about no more Javascript on profiles.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

You're not supposed to have embedded music players? How about on storygames and stuff? That's fine, right?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Music players are fine as long as they don't autoplay on profiles. I'm more lenient about stories, no hard/fast rules there.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Yeah, though in general I think we'd prefer it be optional (with it being off by default).

No one minds music to set the mood, but if it's autoplay then it can get obnoxious. Especially when it's unexpected.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Just to be straight:

No background

No cursors

No music

No fancy titles

Man, I'm gonna miss all that stuff.

Now I can conform with this all without complaint. But honestly -- I like the idea of being able to customize profile pages. It's where people come to learn about said user, so the whole background decorations and all are kind of like their own corner of the site. You're in charge and I'll deal with it, but you know other than the more eye-jarring ones, I kind of think it's harmless. I don't even put lies in the title or anything; it says Reader, straight and true.

C'mon, man, think of poor Brad.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

This is a writing website! Hopefully whatever you write there will be meaningful. Beyond that, you can still customize your profile page, you just can't clash super hard with the site's CSS in doing so. The custom titles make titles meaningless. Earn 5000 points and you can have one of your choosing!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

"This is a writing website! Hopefully whatever you write there will be meaningful."

True. When you get down to it, it's needless. So, if you happened to be opposed to it, you'd have the final say.

Beyond that, you can still customize your profile page, you just can't clash super hard with the site's CSS in doing so.

Err... Would you say mine clashes too hard...?

Earn 5000 points and you can have one of your choosing!

Wait, what?! Why was I not told this?! Ok, I'd like to reserve "Grandmaster of the Damned!"

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

"Err... Would you say mine clashes too hard...?"

Uhh, yeah. It's one of the worst offenders.

"Wait, what?! Why was I not told this?! Ok, I'd like to reserve "Grandmaster of the Damned!""

It's literally in the opening post. . .

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Well, I'll just cut the whining and do without then. It's not like I know anything about coding anyways. Oh, and sorry about missing that piece about the points. Must have blanked out a bit or something. Long live CYS; I'll look forward to further improvements. 

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

You're not whining!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Oh god, don't start with the direct quotes...

And it said in the OP!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Man, 5,000 points...

Well, I did conquer Calradia. I guess I can conquer CYS too. 

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
think of poor people who actually know how to do web-design like basically that's only me and BD so we should just be allowed while everyone else is a noob with silly creame/off-white profiles. It'd be like the days when people didn't know how to do shit and BD wasn't around to give away code to any random guy who asked.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Music is a thing you can do?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
not anymore xD

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

You could still embed a music player with HTML, just no autoplay.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Can you guys give me an example of a profile that does this? I have never experienced this, and I'd like to before it's gone.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Go to T-Count's profile.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

... Oh shit, it doesn't work for me.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Wait on the profile for a few minutes.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Nope, nothing,

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Hm.. That's odd. Works fine for me.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Difference is, Tim uses mobile.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

That's probably it.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

No Yearbook?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Not in the first update, no. There are a lot of things I want to accomplish, and not all of them are going to happen immediately...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
me and BD can make a starter checklist of all the problems we've run into + solutions...if that's something you want.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Like the Bugs & Problems forum?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
yeah but there's stuff we haven't put there because we knew it wouldn't get fixed anytime soon and also some of it is just plain criticism of needless complicated formatting by alexp so we didn't want to be b& xD

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

lol no one gets banned for criticizing Alexp. There's no need to put anything in the B&P that doesn't effect people who aren't trying to mess with site's CSS. That's very low priority for me.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
actually most of the formatting errors are a pain in the ass to get around with Chanbot's webscraping. [example]

some of the format stuff just causes things to not line up properly on the site and messes with nitpicky people like brad.

some of it is just really terribly done to the point of considering coding our own solutions in a tedious manner (see: item inventory in storygames *shudder*)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Yeah, they're a pain in the ass to get around while you're doing something that's not sanctioned or needing to be supported by the website. It's not a high priority to help you scrape things haha.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Darn, all of that time and effort put into those many Draw My Attention threads and I apparently can't even get a contributor trophy (ironically) for it because I have already been "rewarded with points."

Bleh.

Well, at least I already have the one that I wanted the most anyway. Now I suppose it's time to start the long climb to 5000 points.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
IAP will get there before anyone...damn guy. http://chooseyourstory.com/Member/?Username=TheNewIAP

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
And I'm sure that you or Seto will get there before me as well.

Luckily it's not a race x:

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Hmmm, yeah I probably should try and get points considering how long I've been on the site.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
it is a race though. we've already decided to race to 10k. 5k is a mere stepping stone. IIRC people were racing to 5k years ago.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Oh, I forgot that you two were doing that thing.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Definitely before me, with my measly 175...

Wait, 175?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

You've put that in scare quotes as if to suggest that you not getting a trophy for something that you've already been rewarded for is really unreasonable.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
I guess if points aren't considered a real reward, you could scrap that system? As long as you're making changes, that creates a lot of busy work for End, and if A comment is really deserving of featuring I'm sure that can be noticed or pointed out without requiring bribery.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Hah!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Don't points affect things like ratings and contest entries though? They have uses.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

No, she means stop rewarding DMA threads with points.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

... I don't think there'd be many good, charitable samaritans, willing to donate their time...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Both mizal and I agree with that statement. Her post was rhetorical. Notice that her first statement is conditional.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

TBH, I think I would be in favor for not giving points to the person who recommends a comment be featured, and only giving points to the writer of the featured comment.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I like both, personally. I like incentivising people to find featured comments.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
It seems like most of the comments getting recommended for featuring lately are nothing special, like, obviously so, and just get dragged up for a point. I'm not sure of a good solution for that though, because End doesn't read things and is bad at value judgements.

Digging around in the archives for the really exceptional reviews is useful and can be time consuming, just, they've all been picked so clean everyone's really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. With the exception of sniping comments on newer stories.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Basically what Mizal said. I stopped after there were no more quality comments to suggest, and even noted during one of my suggestions that I was "lowering my bar quite a bit for this one."

While it is sometimes true that something is better than nothing, perhaps not when it comes to featured comments.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Featured comments can always be replaced when a more suitable one comes along, and that person gets rewarded accordingly. Well, just as long as they an account :)

But even if they don't, I suppose that the guest can feel proud about being acknowledged in some form.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

The easy answer is more storygames! More (quality) stories, more reading, more comments, more points, more more.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Daddy's love not enough anymore? It hasn't even been 24 hours lol.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Well, I would assume the feedback sort of dampens the mood...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

50 Forum Games You Will Miss Forever!

http://tinyurl.com/hc68m6w

You won't believe your eyes!

But, for the actual important parts, huzzah! Some well needed and interesting developments.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

???? ????????edgy shit edgY sHit ??thats ??some edgy???? shit right ??th?? ere?????? right there ????if i do??a? so?my self ??i say so ?? thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ????? ?????) mMMMM???? ???????O0??OOOOO???Oooo??????????????? ?? ???? ???? Edgy shit

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Well, there's no need to be condescending about it...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Yeah Ivy that's really unfair. I'm sure any Forum Games regular can name lots of memorable, quality RPs. Lots.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I can name at least, at least 3.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Commander, The Tavern, anf Bunny Simulation.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I can name the Pokémon one :D

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Gotta catch em all!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Can Chanbot please be allowed some CSS? It looks soooo shit without it. pretty much everything depends on his CSS :( do code rules apply to bots?

before rules
after ruels

It's not even intrusive and there's 0 JS or annoying things. Arguably this is probably the most pure profile - plain, not an eye sore, and following alexp's general unwritten rules about code on profile pages, et cetera.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Uh. It at least needs that chart.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Just don't mess with the site's background, etc. Also, I think it looks fine in the second picture. Maybe bold the usernames, space out the table a bit, I dunno.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
but the site's background is nothing which is ugly and doesn't go with anything.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Sorry, Ford. Your bot's functionality doesn't rely on this and I think the site looks better the way it is than with a background that doesn't quite match anything. That's the final answer, man. If you think you can make something that's not an eyesore, then do it and send me a screenshot, and I'll let you know.

You can still have a colored table, you just can't mess with the site's background css.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
well, nobody else thinks the site looks very good or else there would be no reason to change backgrounds and stuff in the first place...

Anyways, Chanbot does rely on this and is the sole reason why I'm pushing to keep chanbot's code similar because there's a fuck ton of it that I'd have to change if he wasn't allowed any CSS

IDGAF about my own profile or anyone elses, I'll just never look at those. But a lot of people view Chanbot's profile and display of data is important.

Also BD brought up a great point in the discord: link tags are the real security concern, style tags are literally just for looks. link tags can grab a file from anywhere and import it; but I digress.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Listen, Ford, there's no CYS API and there's no guarantee of support for 3rd party bots. When you write a 3rd party bot, you assume the risk that things might change. That's a really, really basic lesson for someone who writes code. This conversation is quite over. Things have been made really clear to you.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
sooo...what you're saying is there should be a CYS API...cause that would be great

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Yeah, ideally, there'd be a CYS API, for sure. That's not a priority, though.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
for u

*yet

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
What is the criteria on 'important members'?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Used to be Novelist+ but now it's Scriveners+ because there are a lot of people with novelist nowadays.

Honorable mentions would have to be done by hand, which I don't fancy. I'd rather Chanbot just scrape for ranks and organize them than have him make judgement on whether someone is worthwhile or not.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

So I'm a honorable mention :D

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Well I may not be important, but i'm an Advanced Noob.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

@Ford

Your current profile looks great and is totally acceptable.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
I agree it is acceptable (not totally though, as I'm still using JS to change text when a client requests the webpage) - it does not look great though. needs some artwork in that maincontent and some borders...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

It looks acceptable, like visually. The script will fail when the update is pushed.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
If I maintain the right attitude it'll never fail :D

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Congratulations Berka, it's about time you received that trophy! :)

I'll be a bit sad about the Forum Games being removed, but now I'll have more time to work on my storygames so that I can add my accomplishments with the site. (I need to make up for earlier mistakes anyways). I already know the new forum is going to be great, so this will be a very good update.

Overall, I'm excited about the update, so thank you.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

You're welcome! I like your attitude a lot.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Thanks 3J. I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've ever spoken to each other XD. Nice to meet you! :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

That sounds promising!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

"The deed is done."

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Good Job BZ for finally getting that trophy that took you a long time to get!

Good Job 3J for somehow convincing alexp to give you the site's code thingy...

Anyways, 3J you mentioned there would be consequences if you find a way around making a cool profile. What exactly are those consequences?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Bannage. Point penalties. Insults. Things like that.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

NO!! Not insults! How horrid!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Ikr! They're so hurtful!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Insults would... Hertz my feeling!

Alright, No one would get that Pun

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

That was so punny!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Car rentals?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Car rentals?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Isn't Hertz a car rental company?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I thought it was an ice cream bar.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
No, It isn't. Check the Wikipedia

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
-1000 points and then a banning the next time was what was mentioned. Not sure if any of this is official policy though or if it's still being decided.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Why would the points matter if they got banned anyways >~<

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Imagine being shot dead. Now imagine being shot dead, then kicked. Same idea.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

If i'm already dead that won't do much... unless they kill my ghost.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

It's sort of an overkill thing.

Like when I docked Kain 5000 points and banned him for plagiarism.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I see.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Read my post again.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

First a warning, then a big point penalty, and then a ban.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

So it's a three strikes and your out system?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Yeah, but in general, there will be leniency if the user isn't trying to get around the rules.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Wow, You're serious >~<

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Yeah, it's not a joke!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

This would make an amazing slogan.

"CYOA- don't fuck with us, it's no joke!"

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
haha nice joke :D lol

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
How many alts do you have left, because it sounds like you may need them.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Looking forward to the updates! Thanks for all the hard work you're putting into the site, ThreeJay.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

No worries! Thanks for your contributions, Bucky.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
I'll miss Forum games, but the Creative Corner is probably something I might actually contribute to, now when the December's contest has gotten me interested in poems. And congrets for getting your trophy, BZ! It's nice to see that the CYS house will actually be fixed a bit now, there are many holes in the roof.
So, will the older posts with stories and poems in them that are currently in the Writing workshop be moved as well, or will this apply only to the new ones?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

If admins feel like moving them, then that would be cool but that's a pretty boring job, so we will see.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

There's a very good chance this goes live early this week. Please back up anything you want to keep from the forum games section.

I might push all changes except forum games and postpone that to give people more time.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
This is...well, I don't quite have any words. This is just amazing, that's all I can say. I'm going to miss my moustachey mouse cursor on my profile though. I never cared about the Forum Games section in the first place; this is a writing site, after all, and if I wanted to go roleplay so badly I'd go elsewhere (like that WGE place End linked to). I wonder what the most frequent Forum Gamers will react like...

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
The removal of profile scripting was the biggest change, but it's interesting there wasn't more of a kerfuffle about the forum games. I guess even the people who spend most of their time there realized deep down inside that their RPs were awful, and that they were awful for enjoying them.

Surprising considering how certain members used to get absolutely rabid in defending them--I remember a previous thread where even an offhand suggestion of removing that board led to hilarious meltdowns. So the non-reaction is impressive! It may be a sign of a sense of self awareness, or even puberty.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

To be honest, I knew it was coming since Freeform was banned. I've made my peace since then.

I mean, removing the board was obviously the next logical step.

It's kinda like 1940's Germany and the Jewish population of 1940's Germany.

Well, if you're like that.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Tim, I don't know if you're attempting a joke or what, but the fact that you made a point of going back, and editing that last part in...hahaha, holy shit. I'm sorry but I have to edit lock this now.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Yeah! Freaking Jews, scum of the Earth!

(Please don't ban me, I'm actually a Jew, I swear)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Did you just compare yourself to Jews in the 40s.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

No, I compared the Forum Games board to Jews in the 40s.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Both are soon to be purged and about as shit, in Tim's defence.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Well this shall be interesting :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Awesome! I've been waiting for these changes for some time. Vivre La Renaissance de CYStia!!!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

These are all fantastic improvements to the site and I am very glad they are happening :D It is good that 3J is making these long overdue changes and I am sure they will make a big impact on the site: but the site is in a very good place to receive these changes right now. Personally I am excited/interested/intrigued about how things will develop but very grateful for 3J for making this commitment:D

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Also BZ stands out as someone who has earned their trophy several times over, it is really great to see he is getting rewarded for all the hard work he has done :D

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Agreed, and you're probably next on the list! I'm just revamping the trophy requirements so you might need to wait a little bit longer.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, Will!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Question:

If we were to run a game similar to Commander, would you want us to do that in the Lounge or on BHB?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

BHB. That would work better anyway mechanistically.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Second questoin:

Is that a rule, or just perferable?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

It's a rule. We're not removing the forum games so that forum games can go in the lounge. If someone were going to recreate Commander, they would have done it by now :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Don't quote me on this, but it's entirly possile that I might make one based on the lore of Under The Bridge.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

It's more work than you think it is.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I am slightly less lazy than you think I am.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
BHB would host serious games like this from time to time.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
@cdrive1

I saved and archived all of the JoJo threads if you were worrying about that. I had to make an exception this time because anything that is JoJo related must be preserved.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Thanks Thara. :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

This was a somewhat ruffling announcement for me. May you find rest in Paradise, Forum Games. I'm going to have to save my threads.

I applaud Berka and 3J for their hard work. Ready yourselves for some stories to be written.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

How do you save them by the way?

I know that normally when they are on the net, they're there forever but I don't know how you back up ones *Obviously the Jojo one is already backed up but Martial Arts in the Wastes is one of my favorites, I won't bother with the ones that never got completed, they just make me sad.*

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Likely going to be a site update tonight. I'm hoping we don't experience so long of an outage this time but we'll see!

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

Will this one shed light on the mysterious essence of those orders (which ironically only served to remove order so far)?

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I hope so. Getting tired of Yusi and Minnie getting into fights xD

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I've submitted changes for Alex to deploy. I've taken a totally unacceptable amount of his time this week, so I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to deal with things at the moment, but once he does, the urgent bugs will be fixed. No new features in this update.

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

I asked Alex yesterday to push some changes that would fix the current storygame bug (sorry) but I think he's swamped with work or out of town or something.

I'm at a Hackathon this weekend so I won't be around too much but I'll try to check in. Sorry again for the bug and hopefully we can get it resolved soon. You were promised bugs, and I have definitely delivered :)

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago
Have fun storming the castle!

And the bugs are worth it man! They are worth it! ^v^

Upcoming Site Changes

7 years ago

We came 2nd in the Hackathon! I think we should have won but the other team was definitely tackling a more buzzy challenge.