Year's End Contest - Return of the Choose Your Own Prompt Contest
Deadline: January 3, 2020 at 11:59 P.M. eastern time.
Entry Fee: 100 Points
Minimum entries required: Five valid entries or contest is moot.
Basic Rewards: 25 Points (entry fee returned + 25 points) for successfully submitting a story that achieves a minimum of 4.00/8.00 rating.
Additional Rewards: 100 Points for 1st Place; 50 Points for 2nd Place; 25 Points for 3rd Place
Restrictions: No co-authors. No recycled stories.
CYOA Fake News Requirement: Post a thread in the Writing Workshop and update twice a week on your progress.
Note: The entry fee is high to discourage people from taking prompts they don't intend to finish. Don't be an ass. If you take a prompt, finish it. Because someone else may very well have wanted that prompt.
Instructions: A) Choose a prompt. B) To claim a prompt, reply with the number you wish to select and the description of the prompt. C) Edit lock your selection so you cannot change it. D) Someone important will (probably) confirm your prompt within 24 hours. E) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CHECK TO SEE IF SOMEONE TOOK THE PROMPT YOU WANT FIRST.
Prompts: *** Prompts are binding as far as the plain language suggests. Beyond that, author creativity reigns.
1) Tell us a tale of a knight, a dragon, and a princess. Cupcakitty
2) An aspiring medical student travels to a foreign land to study at a renowned hospital. The plague draws near. Kar
3) A story set on a tidally locked planet. FistedDave BANNED
4) Sharpen your ax, it's 793 - and the first of a steady stream of Viking raids are about to hit the British isles. Dezzo
5) A better story about snow. Digit
6) A story of a lunatic empress... with a fondness for horses.
7) Create a fantasy or science fiction world from scratch. The story must include a map of the relevant locality. Mara
8) This story has an original and sensible magic system, built from the ground up. The plot is up to you. Shadow
9) A romantic winter horror genre splice. Chef
10) The younger son of a minor noble rallies coin and followers for his venture. His goal? Flee the kingdom and construct a castle on the shores of the mineral rich unclaimed frozen wastes in the far north. Derp
11) This tribal community lived a rather simple existence with the occasional war and the odd bit of cannibalism - but everything changed when the strangely dressed gods arrived in their wooden turtles from across the sea.
12) The protagonist is an anti-villain. Everything else is up to you. Corgi
13) A dwarf takes a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel. What happens next? BryceTheJew
14) The mad scientist has just created a new ... animal? species? creature? race? Whatever it is, she has an army of them, and things aren't ever going to be the same. Patandjenfan33333 BANNED
15) Breathe fresh live into the tale of Little Red Riding Hood. Fluxion
16) For your services to the crown, the king has granted you valuable lands near an important crossroads in a recently conquered territory. Now, it's time to retire and fulfill your dream of operating a renowned brewery and tavern ... but it may be wise to keep your sword-arm ready. Ogre
17) History abridged: The protagonist is Attila the Hun.
18) History abridged: The protagonist is Cleopatra VII.
19) The protagonist is a goat farmer. The plot, genre, and time period are up to you. Mizal
20) A cuckolded baron plots revenge against the local duke for impregnating his wife. enterpride
21) They say the roads aren't safe for a young woman traveling alone. But that's never stopped you before. Wildblue
22) A story set in ancient Mesopotamia. Maz
23) A story that revolves around a mystery or a series of puzzles and riddles. Pugpup
24) The supervolcano beneath Yellowstone exploded three years ago, and the earth has begun to slip into a new ice age. You really wish you didn't live in Siberia. Technology may be contemporary or futuristic. Ford (Chanbot)
25) You're a pilgrim traveling to a holy site. To fund your travels, you tell short stories that the audience can influence. The setting may be historical or fantastical. Camelon
26) The plot revolves around a graveyard tryst.
27) You live in a world overrun by monsters. Good thing you're a trained monster slayer. Chris
28) Create a children's fable. Ninja
29) The protagonist is a talking bear. Lopz66
30) For the bold - a story that will make Mizal cry. VainCorsair
31) Diversity option: show them how it's really done.
32) EndMaster's box of horrors. Beg for EndMaster to give you a prompt. Canary
33) CYOA winter-themed ballad. Serpent (Micropen)
34) Frontier Contest throwback. TheDeadKin
35) Chaos Contest throwback. Coins (Spartacus)
7 I WANT 7 NO ONE WILL STEAL 7 FROM ME
12) The protagonist is an anti-villain. Everything else is up to you.
I love anti villains.
34) Frontier Contest throwback.
9) A romantic winter horror genre splice.
I like this prompt a lot. Let's do it.
Ah, yes, I need to lock this.
Does "no recycled stories" mean that you can't use one that was already published? Or that you have to start a new one now? I have a big game I am working on and it might fit one of the themes so I was wondering if I could pick that and use the game. I am not opposed to starting a new game from scratch if that is what we are supposed to be doing.
I will go with that, thank you Chris.
12) The protagonist is an anti-villain. everything else is up to you.
Claiming the role regardless, but is my understanding correct that this is a Villian because he has evil goals, while his methods are generally good. Like I want to take over the city for my own dievious purposes so I am going to systematically take out all the other criminals and appear like a "hero" despite my intentions.
I am choosing this to challenge myself.
Lmao! I scrolled through and didn't even see that one... rip... I'll pick a different one
I'll do 8) a unique magic system that is well explained
Okay read everything again and 8) for sure was not picked.
I can incorporate demons in my story to play along with my new persona...
I do apologize though, I was skimming the thread on my phone while my family was watching the lions lose. I completely missed that one post. I only saw like Mizal, Chris, and Mara had entered.
Seems youre already challenged enough, Shadow
I'll take number ten, please.
Yes. 10 is the choice I choose.
Goddamnit Bucky, your post is all fucked up when going in to update it. Now I have to completely manually edit the whole thing so it isn't a mess.
Fuck your contest, fuck your timing with these contests and most importantly fuck you.
I did the first bit of cleaning it up. I was about to cross out the ones taken and write the names next to them, but if you want to do that and keep track of the entry fees, go ahead.
I've always used the RTE on the forums. It's just easier.
I turn it off for story writing and then just turn it back on after publishing it.
I've explained this like a billion times.
A better story about snow.
A better story about snow
Frontier Contest throwback/ Chaos Contest throwback (basically just write a story with the rules of that contest?)
Diversity option: show them how it's really done
29) The protagonist is a talking bear.
I'm assuming it's fine to go into negative points temporarily?
That's what I'm doing. I only have 77 points.
Look up "Sir Bearington."
So I am supposed to fake a development thread twice a week? What is the point of fake a development thread about a game nobody give a shit about? Should be better than i pass that time writing the game?
Taking 22, 'cause I want to learn stuff about mesopotamia. I don't promise it'll be historically accurate, though.
if not available anymore I take the 4
Sign me up for 16
Fuck you Ogre, I will take 2
You have declared war, prepare for your death
I'll take prompt 20. The hateful cuckolded baron seems an interesting premise.
And I guess this will edit lock it? Good luck with the writing everyone.
Give me 33
Also let the record show I was forced into this.
You know what. Give me 32!
Great, the biggest degenerate participating in the contest picked 32.
I need a prompt, though!
Now of course what would be amusing is to pick something difficult to write or better yet, give you the prompt like a week before the deadline.
However, none of that will be happening, but I'll PM something soon.
I'll look forward to it!
It'll be the first story game I ever write, so fingers crossed!
I claim 25. :)
Should be interesting...
Mizal has mentioned that she'll be taking care of the points business of the contest. I'll just be crossing off what's been taken and putting the names by the prompt.
And of course I'll be SHAMING the losers as usual.
I can't I have no pc only a phone. And I don't think logic that the fact of having a pc that allows a better spacing is a reason to give a better score.
What is rte?
Hmm, even turning it off doesn't seem to get rid of the spaces when I paste it in.
The game was rigged from the start.
30) For the bold - a story that will make Mizal cry.
I pity you, you poor fool .
So what would happen to the contestant failed to make Mizal cry, would they get shamed or what not?
I agree with you on that. And is true most with each person a different theme.
What I'm hearing is Puns are a must, and it must be inferred that someone's mom is getting it. That is if this poor slob has any hope of making Mizal cry.
Even I wouldn't stoop so low
What the hell. Since the talking bear one is taken, I'll try 23) A story that revolves around a mystery or a series of puzzles and riddles.
I'd like 1) Tell us a tale of a knight, a dragon, and a princess.
Well, thank goodness that I have time to write this. I'm starting now, Trx for letting me come in the contest Bucky.:)
Number 23(involved around a series of puzzles and riddles and mystery):)
Fine, then 26 please.:|
14 and yes I do.
I'm halfway done with my book but I want people to see it now and tell me what I should change about it. :|
poison_mara kind of gave me a rating but it was ummm...
You can set stories to "sneak peek" which doesn't publish them, but allows others to see them. Or create a thread for your story in the Writing Workshop and you can talk about it/ask questions/get feedback there.
Let him be now, I am sure I won't be the last. Also, lHe can learn humility and not rush into stuff like rate himself with several spams accounts. To not deal with the fact that has screwed it up. Then complain others have giving the score that piece deserves
She is our queen
yaaaas slay kween
Can I lock number 3?
Okay I lock number 3!
Including mine which someone should definitely read and give feedback on
I claim 35. Chaos Contest throwback.
Dragon dildos made me do it.
Hey, Im new on here. Im buds with @Davefaster, he showed me this sight. Im not the best writer but I was wanting to do #13 on the contest, the one about the Dwarf taking a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel..
FistedDave is your friend? Lol
Anyway, locked in.
Yeah, he is lmao. But yeah, im new here, so its gonna take me a second to get used to everything.
Maybe it's not the best idea to enter a contest as soon as you join the site?
Yeah I know. This'll probably be funny, what with all of the noobs joining this contest.
He's got this. He will be guided and prompted by me. He will probably have, at least a 10k story written
Alright sure. Whatever you say. I'll look forward to it.
Well Bucky's contest is off to a great start, already one banned contestant. So much for entry 14.
STOP>_<! you deleted all of my story games. I'm just 10!:(
Also, word of advice: since you're ten, you may not have experienced the gritty, awe inspiring, hilarious, troll festering toxicity that is the world of internet forums, despite your Gen Z pedigree. Especially forums like this one, which are kind of a throwback to the golden age of internet trolling (sometime around when you were born). As such, whatever you do, don't annoy people who have, for example, the power to delete your stuff. And definitely don't go telling people you're ten, because that already offends some people (not to mention, your age is probably a violation of the terms of service, since usually people have to be 13 to participate in internet forums).
Just be cool, go along with the flow, do not under any circumstances allow yourself to be sucked into the vortex of a flame war or argument. Just keep writing, and when you comment on the forums, don't stir any shit or allow anyone to bait you. Take criticism with a smile rather than offense, and stay low (and again, back your stuff up).
I'm always amused by pleas of "I'm just a kid or I'm only x age!" when I'm banning younger noob fucktards.
It's like they actually believe that's going to stop me.
I have a question because I think that we don't recover the fee If we don't reach 4/8 as score. I would love have my fee back just for present a game. Because I won't get a 4.
Well, I suppose is fair, for a native maybe is easy to have a four. But well, I should have read the fact I would not recover my points just for presenting.
Wow, when you think about it, it's true. Anyway thanks but I'm currently working on my WIP and probably won't write another one in a such a short notice.
And what's Folkvangr? Is it a Viking thing?
Oh okay, that's a cool fact. At least I've heard of Freja before. Thanks, Bucky.
They helped move shipbuilding and navigating the sea further along. Also they were awesome warriors and their stories/myths are quite cool. They helped connect different cultures by trading too and I guess raiding.
That's why you're doing the Viking prompt right?
I'm not, I like the Viking age around 865 ad. The great heathen army was where it was at, along with Ragnars sons.
4.) 793 Viking raids on British soil?
Sign me up please.
Requesting for post the deletion of my post for numerous reasons if possible.
So much entry 3.
Hell, if this keeps up, maybe I won't have to read any of these stories!
Dave got banned too?
"He was supposed to have Endeavor level protection."
Well that was one of his problems right there.