Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Commended by Sherbet on 4/13/2023 11:09:42 PM
All right, so as much as we love our duels around here, it's time to organize these things so the kids aren't just butchering each other at random in the streets.

So, WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME.

Going forward I'm going to keep this thread updated with challenges and their results, themes/prompts for competitors, and the links to the actual duel stories.

I'll be laying out an explanation of the process here too so that no one has to explain it to every random noob.

THE PROCESS:

1.) When two agree to (honorable?) battle, they'll be scheduled for the first available weekend. Due to voters needing time to read and hopefully comment on all these, and Darius or someone else having to host them, we're gonna limit this to no more than two duels a week, or in other words four stories assuming everyone shows up. It'll be on a first come first serve basis, so get in line.

2.) Prompts will be given Thursday night, duels will run from Friday to 11:59 CDT Sunday night. (My time, because if we did this on Darius's time it would cut out seven hours on Sunday for most of you, and I know most of you won't be starting these until Sunday.)

3.) All stories should be 2000 words or less, and must be sent to Darius before the deadline. He'll then make a thread to post them anonymously, and voting will be open about four days--ending as the next duel starts--unless there's some exception made.

4.) All participants will be rewarded a commendation. Winners (going forward, I'm not digging up any old threads) will receive ten points. Anyone who agrees to a duel and then doesn't show up will be FINED ten points.

If for some reason you agree to a duel but then realize you won't be able to make it, then you need to inform us of what a shameful disappointment you are as soon as possible. There might still be time to bring in the designated SECRET DUELER to salvage the match.

5.) If you want to be tagged to future duel threads for voting, say so in here.

Now get out there and kill each other, for great glory or something.

DEUS VULT!

VOTE IN THE CURRENT DUELS RIGHT HERE:

Wizzy vs Ace!
Axxius vs Anthraxus!

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Commended by Sherbet on 5/4/2023 7:03:22 PM
CURRENT DUEL: 10/12/23 @WizzyCat vs @Darkspawn @stargirl vs @Abgeofriends PROMPT: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/528214297734676480/1164956624838996008/wizard-dragoncave.png ***** UPCOMING DUELS: ???? ***** PAST DUELS: 4/13/2023 Antoinette390 vs Suranna Lux_Inferni vs tmanaking PROMPT: giant friggin mechs! WINNERS: Lux and TCat! 4/20/23 Enterpride vs Darius(plus a bonus story by urnam0 posted after the voting) stargirl vs TCat vs Fresh PROMPT: A strange contagion breaks out on a merchant vessel. Any setting. WINNER: Enterpride and TCat! 4/27/23 Petros vs Peng Mizal vs Tim PROMPT: Man's best friend is found slaughtered in the kitchen. Who's to blame? Any genre.
WINNER: Petros and Mizal! 5/4/23 Axxius vs Anthraxus Wizzy vs Ace PROMPT: May the Fourth Force be with you! WINNER: Anthraxus and Wizzy! 5/29/23 Petros vs Darius Cel vs Sent vs Ford as mystery contestant PROMPT: a haunted mountain WINNER: Petros and Sent! 9/16/23 Darius vs Petros vs Suranna Theme: Violence and Pain WINNER: Aborted afterbirth of this duel disgustingly, revoltingly, and repulsively abandoned without so much as a whimper. ***** 10/9/23 - The NOT SO GRAND REOPENING! Peng vs Fresh PROMPT: story takes place in an abandoned junkyard WINNER CONTESTANT WHO GOT POINTS BEGRUDGINGLY REWARDED TO THEM: fresh_out_the_oven 10/15/23 - oh ffs Ace vs Darkspawn! PROMPT: an impossible task WINNER: obviously Dark

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Aww thank goodness! All those years of watching tv finally amounts to something. Antoinette, I look forward to our duel, and, as the people say, may the best man (or teenage girl) win! 

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

I feel like, with its date and all, the prompt of the upcoming duel has to be something bud-related.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Wait, I thought I was still in the Mean Girls thing. I didn't lose or anything, so I shouldn't be disqualified right?

Did you just forget me?

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
You want to write two stories on one weekend? Sure, go for it. Or you can stay in reserve a week to duel the winner.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Ah, I just got a lil confused because you said their fight was a resolution.

I can just duel the winner, sure

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

So what is the prompt for this weekend?

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
That's going up this evening, they don't need FOUR days for this.

Although I perhaps should slip it to Darius a few hours early considering the time zone issue.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Huzzah! As part of an effort to make myself write and be more useful, I am extending an open challenge to any site members willing to duel me! THUNDERDOME rules should apply.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
I’ll meet you in the THUNDERDOME, Peng.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
You're on. How does the weekend after the 4/20 batch sound?

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Works for me

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
So I've heard from Suranna and Lux, so if the others flake I guess we can always pit them against each other. That was part of the reason for giving both pairs the same prompt, actually. I'm so smart.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Sent and I have been discussing refinements to the SECRET DUELER system. (It is, of course, a secret.)

I'm really hoping these duels can remain a regular and steady thing. It keeps people honing their writing skills and encourages forum participation. And if combined with some other minor site activity like a single featured review, due to the way commendation bonuses work out it would give newer users a way to earn an "income" of 25 points a week to help get those numbers up. (More points equals more weight to your story ratings, so it's always desireable to get them up above 500 at least.)

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

I would like to challenge @Abgeofriends to a duel. It's about time we saw who was the better short story writer. 

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

@stargirl I accept, look whose the one volunteering me without consent. Whatever show me what you've got!

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

@Mizal

I challenge ye, etc etc

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Yeah? You remember who ELSE wanted to duel people all the time?

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Doing an Ebon style pre duel rant just to not show up would be too much effort

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Just checking, but the story is due in an hour, not 5 minutes, right?

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Yeah, you've still got time.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Awesome, thank you.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
I extend an open challenge to any user who would like to duel me in the thunderdome. I would really like to test my abilities and destroy the competetion. I have some faint memories of killing some zombie guy in a duel in a past life, but since then my quill has been a little too dry for my liking.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

I'll duel you if you never make another metaphor about your dick.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
that wasn't a metaphor about my dick...

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

I accept your open challenge Ace. I've never been in a proper 1v1 writing duel though did duel a bunch of other people at once so this is semi-familiar territory. Or I'll just duel the next person who feels like it. I didn't see wizzys response lol.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Assuming Wizzy is serious I'd perfer to duel him since he is a metaphorical dick, but if he isn't (which is in character) then sure, I'll duel you.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

If MrAce and Wizzy are paired up, I'll take you on Axxius.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
All right, scheduling Ace vs Wizzy and Axxius vs Anthraxus

I think we're reaching the point where these are having to be scheduled so far ahead it's going to be in question whether the contestants are going to be able to say for sure whether they'll even be available then.

I'm not however going to increase the number of duels unless I see there's enough interested voters to sustain more.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Please don't comment on this post.

The list of mystery dueler candidates to keep track of them.

• @Enterpride
  • @Mystic_Warrior
  • @TypewriterCat 
  • @ISentinelPenguinI
  • @stargirl
  • @Petros
  • @Wizzycat
  • @PerforatedPenguin
  • @goodnight_a
  • @Mizal
  • @TheCanary
  • @TrueParanormal

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Edited links to the current voting threads into the OP. That will always be an easy place to find any ongoing duels, if looking down the thread list slightly is too troublesome.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Well, I don't want to be left out of the fun in Thunderdome.

So, before the schedule gets even more full, I challenge anyone else who is up for it.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Lar has spoken. I will accept your challenge.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Dont hide behind Lar and blame him when your blood colors the sand in the arena.  

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Fiiiine, but I'm not scheduling anything after the 11th, anyone after that gets thrown in a pile to be organized later.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Thanks Mizal, you are the most benevolent mod

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
I like the THUNDERDOME

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
@fresh_out_the_oven
@Darius_Conwright
@stargirl
@TypewriterCat

Upcoming duels post has been updated to add the prompt. May the best tween girl win!

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Oh, and to be clear, I'm hosting this one since Darius is a contestant, so make sure to send the stories to me this time.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
One entry already received.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Holy

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

I haven't even started yet. 

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
All stories made it in on time (barely). Threads will be up shortly.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

@PerforatedPenguin vs @Petros 
@Mizal vs @Corgi213 

This time you four send all of your stories to me, the living ghost of the deceased and diseased Darius mwahaha. 

Due to the bloody nature of the tournament and the argument that serves as a precursor to these sets of duels, my chosen prompt for you four is:

Man's best friend is found slaughtered in the kitchen. Who's to blame? Any genre.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago
Unfortunately, Corgi and I are having to reschedule our duel after he had to work the weekend without notice in the middle of some other stuff going on.

I can throw something together for this prompt though if anyone else is up for it.

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

I don't really have anything going on after work on weekends, so I'll extend an open challenge to whoever wants to face me. 

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

Bring it on. TrueP. @TrueParanormal 

If you don't mind, I'll also host our little round this time myself. Keeps things all tidy and stuff. 

THUNDERDOME

one year ago

As long as its fair, I don't mind at all. Looking forward to it!

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
@Wizzycat vs @MrAce321
@Axxius vs @Anthraxus

Given the date, only one prompt will do.

Have fun with your Star Wars fanfic, and May the 4th be with you.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
We're gonna wait till tomorrow to call the votes in this latest duel to give more people a chance to comment and vote. Then I'll likely shut the Thunderdome down a couple weeks as we've gone through most of scheduled matches, and everyone seems running low on productivity juice. (Although I know this was finals week for many. )

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

Whenever it opens back up I welcome another duel.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

I'd love to take you up on that, Anthraxus. 

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

Happy to accept

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

How convenient! I've always wanted to duel and I love making indeterminate commitments! I'll duel whoever can generate the most heat for the matchup.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

How convenient! I, too, have always wanted to duel and I fucking hate your guts. Let's go.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
Most people saying this to Sent would mean it ironically, but not Cel.

Although I am unsure if Darius and I will agree to host this one, whatever the results turn out to be it would only further fuel the hair trigger Eastern European autism and rage. Which kind of defeats the THUNDERDOME's purpose of settling pointless internet disputes.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

The announcement will certainly be a colorful write up, there's enough fuel for that.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

You have to be breaking some kind of record for the most butthurt man to have ever lived, for reasons that utterly baffle me! Which, I suppose is suitable heat for the match. It would be less honorable than challenging one of the actually fun users for the glory of the sport, but I suppose this absurd bitterness has to be addressed somehow.

The catch is I only trust mizal with prompts right now because that kitchen one fucked me up.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

I like Darius's prompts, unlike the man himself. Man's best friend one was amazing, I'd love something dark like that.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

When the Thunderdome's sands are ready to be watered with blood once again, I'd like to challenge one Chinese "Dutch" faggot with an extreme superiority complex.

@Darius_Conwright, I'll meet you in the Thunderdome if you're enough of a man.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
Don’t cut in line

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

All y'all are cutting is line.  

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
While all the lines he's cutting is coke

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug"

-Rick James

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
Good line

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

Get in line

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

Fuck you, I'm not waiting. I'll fight you some other day.

My desire for bloodshed must be quenched. @goodnight_a, will you face me in the Thunderdome?

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

If that is your desire.

I can't promise to sate your appetite. But I shall try to make it a good hunt. 

(I accept your challenge)

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
I’d also like to finally kick Darius’ teeth in when the THUNDERDOME reopens.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

I'm down to duel anyone whenever the dome reopens

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

Very well, the list of people wanting to kick my smelly putrid decomposing corpse again. This is the order I'm fighting you:

1. Trueparanormal.

2. Petros

3. Typecat

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
I wasn't sure if he was still active, but since he is I challenge @DarkSpawn to a duel.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

I wasn't sure if you were still active considering you still failed to review my story (and I can't find your post where you said you'd do it within five weeks, this site needs a forum search button, lazy devs).

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

Active does not generally describe Ace

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
That wasn't really a dig at Dark ironically enough. It's just that last I checked he hadn't logged into the site in a while and since I'm not in the discord I wasn't aware if he was even alive anymore.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
Alright then

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
Sentinel and Celicni seem determined to duke it out, the dweebs. Are any of you others who were posturing in here awhile ago up to the challenge this weekend?

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
If Darius is and TPara isn’t, I am.

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago

Fine. 

THUNDERDOME

11 months ago
All right, the prompt is a haunted mountain.

Also, this episode of the THUNDERDOME would be amiss if it didn't pay homage to Tina Turner. So long to another icon, press F, etc. And of course I recommend a rewatch of Beyond Thunderdome to pay your respects, Aunty Entity has class and style and is one of the more complex 80s sci fi antagonists out there.

THUNDERDOME

10 months ago
We are keeping this one up until sufficient votes roll in. Everybody wants to homoerotically flex on each other, but no one wants to read.

Although I know the summer time lull is kind of traditional.

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago
Well, there's a desperate driving impulse that pounds inside my heart. Some of you know what I'm talking about. You feel the itch, the need. That's right, the driving need to throw chinamen headlong down flights of marble stairs. I'm feeling it again, so I thought it was time to invite Darius to a bloodletting in the THUNDERDOME again.

Then Suranna gracelessly shot herself in the foot in front of everyone, so my contending desire to kick people while they're down surfaced.

Long story short, I'm challenging Darius AND Suranna (preferably at the same time). May the best subhuman win!

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago

There you go, I'll accept. @wizzycat

Can you come up with a theme for us?

What did Suranna do again except for not submitting a contest entry?

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago
@wizzycat I got this.

The theme is violence and pain. If the writing does not make my bones hurt you failed. @suranna @petros @darius_conwright

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago

bone hurting juice

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago
Not sure how this unsanctioned THUNDERDOME match is going down. Am I giving Ford or Darius the story? Honestly, I trust them equally.

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago

I'll give it to you this time, I trust no one

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago
Sure. Sounds legit

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago

I accept.

No further comment needed.

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago
And now all these hooligans cut the padlock and started hosting their own illegal underground tourney it seems.

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago
Inciting hoodrat activity is one of my few innate talents

THUNDERDOME

7 months ago
Just pointing out that Dark agreed to duel me once the thunderdome reopened...

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
I hereby announce a duel between me and @fresh_out_the_oven (warden lol). Blood shall be spilled!

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Okay, I'm a little rusty at this.

Uh... the story must center around an abandoned junkyard.

I know Fresh hasn't accepted yet but she actually isn't allowed to refuse, we need to get a new duel going. Deadline is Saturday at 11:59 pm CST.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Do we vote now, or do we need to wait for the deadline?

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

I vote for voting now.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
@Darkspawn
@MrAce321

The theme is "an impossible task".

Deadline Sunday 11:59pm CST.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Your wit is not lost on me woman.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
oh fuck i just saw this. guess I have to get started then.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

@Abgeofriends said she would duel me. It's time to see who's the better writer after all. 

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
you are, congrats.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Yeah I think this is obvious, but sure, glad to see the Thunderdome back in regular use.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

Challenge accepted. @stargirl

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
@Abgeofriends @stargirl I'm doing something different for the prompt this time. I'm just curious about what's going on inside there and would like a story about it. Since this is going up a bit late, you'll have until noon on Monday, CST.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

I finished, where do I post my story?

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
message it to Miz

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

You finished? I haven't even started yet. 

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

Well that sucks

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
At the time of that post she still had like 24 hours to write a thing that probably takes 2, turning yours in already definitely makes you the weird one.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

True, but we have school so it is today or never.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

Or just during class? I don't even need to think of a plot until first period tomorrow. 

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

You should probably be doing actual class stuff instead of CYS, then again you have like 100's in every class so I can't complain. 

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Of possible historical interest, here's a thread that was sort of the prototype of the Thunderdome, and it even had an early version of Sent's backup dueler idea with Lux stepping in when one of the noobs was a filthy no show.

https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/creative-corner/message/28605

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Anybody up for next week?

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
I've been itching for a duel and chances are I'll be busy next week, so I'm up for it.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

Me! Me! Me! Pick me!

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

Me and Darius have a duel to get to, but Lux and Suranna can go first if you're looking just to host one match

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
@Darius_Conwright

Are you up to fighting children this week?

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Although going forward if we end up with too many duelists, I'm gonna start giving preference to those who haven't gone recently over more frequent volunteers.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago

Fine, it's my fourth time already, it would be very sad if I were to lose again

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Im also up again for whenever

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
I won't be available this weekend, but I'd like to challenge @corgi213 for next time.

THUNDERDOME

5 months ago
@corgi213

Can I get a yay or nay on this? Not sure if you're still going to be busy next week.

We do need at least one pair of volunteers though.

THUNDERDOME

5 months ago

There's other people I'd be more interested in dueling than cyclonis of all people. But I'd be down in general

THUNDERDOME

5 months ago
Fair, I think I'd rather duel WizzyCat or Darkspawn for a real challenge anyway.

THUNDERDOME

5 months ago

I'd be down! My schedule is a shitshow, but I'm not satisfied with my last story.

THUNDERDOME

6 months ago
Commended by Gower on 10/28/2023 6:10:12 PM
@Lux_Inferni @Suranna @fresh_out_of_the_oven @Darius_Conwright Fun bit of trivia: there's several books out there with "darkling plain" in their titles. Most notably As on a Darkling Plain by Ben Bova (a stupidly prolific sci fi author who published like 120 books in 40 years) and then also one by the Mortal Engine guy. The phrase comes from the poem Dover Beach by Matthew Arnold. Having inspired so many authors, I'm still there's got to still be some stories in there. Your prompt is specifically the poem's last stanza: Ah, love, let us be true To one another! for the world, which seems To lie before us like a land of dreams, So various, so beautiful, so new, Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain; And we are here as on a darkling plain Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night. Due Sunday at 11:59pm CST like usual. Have fun.

THUNDERDOME

5 months ago

I just want to say how pleased I am with this topic.  I used to teach that poem all the time, but then I realized I liked it too much to teach it.

THUNDERDOME

5 months ago
I am going to suggest we put a block on these contest entries, just for Gower, so he doesn't have to see what happens to it...

THUNDERDOME

5 months ago
Sorry for the delay! Stories will be up soon, tonight if I don't pass out directly on the keyboasdfg