WatchNon-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Message

Find out what's been changing with the site lately.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
Chaos Contest

The world is not right. Pandemonium, disorder, and bedlam plague the story universe. Figurative darkness has fallen and anarchy reigns. Where do we go from here?

Format: CYOA

Deadline: May 1st at 12:01 A.M. Eastern Time

This may be the last contest I host before passing the torch off to someone else, or otherwise just dousing it into the ground. Though I am open to running one more after this one if I'm impressed by the top stories and turnout. With over a month and a half to write the story, and a wide open theme, I'm expecting some high quality material.

Entry Requirements & Prizes:

You must formally declare intent to enter the contest in this thread, as there is a point entry fee. Hopefully, this will motivate people to finish and reward those who honor their commitments

People can choose to enter the contest for 25, 50, 75, 100, or 125 points. Upon entering, those points will be deducted from your total. Upon submitting a contest story which meets minimum contest standards, you will get either 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 points back (depending on how much they entered for). And then additionally 100 for winning the contest and a featured story if it's a CYOA and good enough to merit featuring.

If you do not submit a contest story which meets minimum contest standards by the deadline, you will not receive any rewards or points back.

To eliminate any possible confusion, the first number is your entry fee, and the second would be your reward. And this is just for submitting an acceptable entry. The winner will receive another 100 points on top of their initial reward.

25 -> 30

50 -> 60

75 -> 90

100 -> 120

125 -> 150

Recap: Stories will not be valid entries unless the site member formally announces his or her intent to enter the contest in this thread with the amount of points he or she wishes to stake.

* See EndMaster for rules regarding your service to him if your entry sends you into negative points.

* Stories that cannot meet minimum site standards count the same as a non entry and get SHAME.

* One entry per site member. No alternate accounts.

Judging:

The judging panel will consist of moderators/administrators and selected highly esteemed community members that do not wish to enter.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

Now this is what I call a contest. My style. I'm in for 100 points.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

Would a non-fiction Modern Adventure setting wherein chaos and anarchy is one of the (semi-player determinant) endings be acceptable? If so, I'm putting 125 on the table.

*Quickly checks and confirms he does indeed have 125 this time round*

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
No. Chaos is the default starting point. Where it goes from there is writer & player determinant.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
Ah. Alright, will take a call on joining in this after I finish my current work then.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
Just to be clear, when we mean chaos, we're talking more than first month Trump administration levels, right? Or would that qualify as Chaos? (Not intentionally being political here, just need to give a contextual example of chaos in a modern adventure/political setting)

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
Closer to the level of raining fire or Suzy splittin' the kitten before the bombs drop.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
Alright, thanks. Holding back on my contest entry for now, will come back to this in a few weeks.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Does the "chaos" have to be anarchy? I am thinking of historical fiction. :/

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
No, it's not pigeonholed to absolute anarchy.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

Oh my gosh, this contest theme sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun! I would like to enter for 125 points. Thank you! 

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
in 125

...literally a fording contest...

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

What a coincidental coincidence! I am currently motivated to write a story about what you guys call chaos so... I would like to enter for 100 points. I got a month and a  half to go so I'm pretty sure I can complete the story in time! 

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
Count me in for 125!

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
Now this is a contest! I'll definitely be joining.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

So, you'll be joining for 125 then?

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
No Mercy eh?

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

In in full throttle, here's my 125!

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

I'd like to join for 125 points, please.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
It seems Endmaster's Grand Scheme is working...

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

I'm in for 125 points, which will put me in debt for 74 points. 

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
That's a lot of confidence, End will be glad to see it.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

If I remember correctly, going in debt means you actually have to win the contest to get your points back. 

Chaos Contest

16 days ago
And if he doesn't win, he doesn't get the participation booster (no 150 for the 125 wagered). Basically it's all downside with an extremely low chance of upside. Would have been wiser to wager only what they had, or rated things to get to 125 beforehand.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Downhill? But I'll be gaining 125 points after I win this contest.

Lol, for real though, maybe I should've looked at the repercussions of betting that much, but I kind of just figured 'Hey, why not?'

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
No, re-read my post. You go below water level, and you get nothing back for participating. It's not -125 offset by +150 later, it's pure -125 +0 later - UNLESS you win, and we already have 9 applicants including a semi-insane bet from Bannerlord

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

To be fair, he did say he was going to get those points back after winning the contest.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

* See EndMaster for rules regarding your service to him if your entry sends you into negative points.

Rules start becoming more chaotic when you start going into debt and/or outside Bucky's guidelines.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

And uhh... what does that entail?

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

For you? Nothing really. You just don't get your points back even if you submit a story since you went into debt. If you win the contest, you'll get the normal reward of course.

Then again if you're really feeling like a gambler, you could take the road that jep, Banner and Ford have taken.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

I meant net gain: 150 from wager if I win + 100 from winning = 250 - 125 points wagered = 125 gain. And yeah, I was half-joking because I don't expect to win.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

Deadbeat Noncommittal Bitches

Mr.M - 0

Contestants

Crescent - 25

Seto - 25

Kwism - 50

Claw - 100
Minnie - 100
Plelb - 100

Lance - 125

Malk - 125
Orange - 125

Rev - 125

Victims

Flamenod - 125

Hopeless

Negative - 125

Glory Seekers

jep - 500

Banner - 1125

Ford - 2125

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

We all know Negative is not going to enter...

That said, sign me up for 25 points. I'll see if I have the time to make something.

Chaos Contest

16 days ago

He might. He managed to submit something at the very last minute for the last contest. He didn't win, but he got out of the SHAME pit at least.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Do edgelord contest entries count for getting non-submitters out of the pit of shame, or do I actually have to do something this month?

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

The Edgelord contest got Digit, Flamenod and Ben the Bunny Fucker out of the pit of SHAME. You weren't in the pit though.

Unless you mean, does your edgelord story give you a pass if you join this contest and then don't submit something.

The answer to that would be no. Especially since your story got disqualified by most of the judges for being 22 pages long in a SHORT story contest and/or not actually posted in the thread anyway. Lol.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
I'm fine with the rest, but following your normal train of thought, what if Sent really believes that in the grand scheme of things, 22 pages IS short?

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

I didn't actually disqualify him, I just tossed him in the automatic loser pile since he didn't post his story in the actual thread. Though if he had done that, it probably would have gotten deleted anyway for stretching out the page, so yeah he was doomed from the start with that story.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Oh, no, I was in the pit, since I failed to submit a story in October. Because CYS admins are corrupt favoritist tyrants, Mason got put on the official wall of shame without me. Also, fuck TL;DRs! H.P. Lovecraft's short stories were like 30 pages!

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

We officially didn't start throwing people in a SHAME pit until December since that's when I first made a proper thread about it.

So you managed to avoid ongoing SHAME due to us not having dug the pit yet and just pelting you for a day with rotten food.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Dammit! All that flagellation for nothing!

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

I'd like to enter, still thinking about how many points I should wage considering I'm already in the negatives.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Go all out, since you're already screwed :P

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Yep, go big or go fuck yourself.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

I'll bet 500 of my non-existent points for no other benefit.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
Edit Lock. We have a glory seeker, that or a new account seeker

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

It's wet and dark down here...smells worse than lil bean's clam-infested privates.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

It's okay. You'll have plenty of people to join you soon..

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

So it's basically exactly like L'il bean's privates.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
Thanks for noticing my privates <3

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

I'd like to include another 1,000 points to add to my 125 point bet, please. In addition, I don't want an additional reward.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

As you know there can only be ONE to achieve all the glory.

So basically Banner and jep are now also playing a mini-game of who can write a better story than the other.

Of course someone else could join in.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
Endmaster only has to give it a little push....after that it is a downward spiral of death and decay...the bloodcurdling screams of the victims....

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
Which begs the question, is it that End is that effective, or is it that everyone was standing around the ledge, waiting for the slightest push?

E: Also, time to break out the coolers to see this. 1625 glory points > Is it a winner take all pot or how does winning work?

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
They get back their bet points and nothing else, no rewards, not even for winning. Glory at its best.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
Oh, I thought it was a betting pot where all bet contestants pooled. So, the moment a second person seeks glory, someone's going home in (online) bruises.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Actually I never said that wasn't going to happen.

Arguably jep has way less to lose no matter what happens since he was already in the hole to begin with. Banner actually has the most to lose since he just insanely bet 1125 points without thinking about the potential consequences. He even asked for no further reward.

However Banner could still actually win more than just his points back just for being so risk taking while also trying to appear humble...or maybe he won't and he'll only get his points back if he loses against jep, or only some of them back, or even get nothing back.

By the same token Jep could potentially write something so impressive that he gets himself out of debt completely, or maybe he won't and the same goes for him.

The point is, only one of them is going to get anything potentially extra, if at all.

Banner and jep will just have to do their best and see what happens.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Dear Tzeentch, the chaos lords signed off on that speech and its double negatives, didn't they? You confirmed nothing outright, just teased possibilities everywhere. Ultimately all this did was increase the net chaos in the system.

Well played.

What happens if either of them adds on a co-author or a third glory seeker enters the fray? (Yes, chaos happens, the specifics please)

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Well Ford is subject to all the same "rules" as jep and Banner now.

As for one of them adding a co-author, Bucky just said no co-authors, so that's that now.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
Rule 1: Never read the rules.

I have no idea what the special rules are (not like I'd understand them anyways; they look confusing at a glance). All I'm doing is betting points and winning a contest :P

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
The Spooky Story co-author contest from October is still a vivid reminder of how CYS is not a site of productive teamwork ^_^

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Wait, since when was a game part of glory-seeking? I thought it was just betting more points than what is specified in the OP.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
I'll go for glory. Put me in for 2000 total.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Owo Seriously?

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
What's a chaos contest without chaos?

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
Ford....you are fucked.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
moderation is for cowards

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

When's the latest we can bet and join?

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
inb4 bloodbath

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
been a few years since I wasn't a scrivener...I guess now I have to actually earn that rank.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Also, is the person betting points allowed to have a coauthor? (I think End mentioned this earlier?) If so, does the coauthor have to bet points as well?

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
No co-authors.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

YOLO I'll bet 25. 

Chaos Contest

15 days ago
In Steve's words - "Weak." (or did you forget the 1 before 25)

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

I have not published a story on this site yet, maybe this will motivate me to get writing a bit!

Sign me up for 100 points and let's do this!

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

KILL MAIM BURN

125 me the fuck up

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Enter me for 50.

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Instant regret, edit lock

Chaos Contest

15 days ago

Same here, as I know I won't have time to make a good CYOA T.T

Oh well. Good luck to you!

Chaos Contest

14 days ago

Just pull a Fazz when the contest is done. You'll be fiiiine!

Chaos Contest

14 days ago

I'm absolutely sure it will be :D

Chaos Contest

14 days ago

I'll join in at 125 points.

Chaos Contest

14 days ago

Wannabe Bitches

Mr.M - 0

Slaves

Crescent - 25

Lal - 25

Seto - 25

Eric - 50

Kwism - 50

Claw - 100
Minnie - 100
Plelb - 100

TCount - 105
awesome -125
Lance - 125

Malk - 125
Orange - 125

Rev - 125

Lost

Flamenod - 125

Damned

Negative - 125

Chaos Seekers

jep - 500

beta - 573

Banner - 1125

Ford - 2125

Chaos Contest

14 days ago

I'll be putting my Revolutionary War thing aside for now as I have plenty of time to actually shape that but I'll be trying to write a "quick" story for this. I bet 50 points as my sacrifice.

Chaos Contest

14 days ago

Hmm tempted by this one and have ideas, will decide in a couple of days whether I can or not

Chaos Contest

9 days ago
So who's been making progress and who's been a lazy bum?

Chaos Contest

9 days ago

I've been both of those.

Chaos Contest

9 days ago

Ha, I've been writing so many words for my story. Words like, "This is the first page in your adventure game. To change this text or edit the page further, switch the page view by clicking on the edit button above."

Chaos Contest

9 days ago

*groans* Ughh. I'm writing, but not fast enough. :/ I've planned out the main path, mostly. Thinking about the rest.

Chaos Contest

9 days ago

@endmaster can choose how many points I'm entering in, in the style of chaos.

Chaos Contest

8 days ago

Are we allowed to have a beta reader?

Chaos Contest

8 days ago
So long as they aren't co-authored.

Chaos Contest

6 days ago

I'll give this a shot! I'm hoping to get back into writing storygames, I've been on this site for a while but haven't actually finished anything... 

I'll do 125 points to serve as proper motivation.

Chaos Contest

2 days ago

Back from the dead real quick. Put me down for all I got. Thanks.

Chaos Contest

2 days ago

Shit not again

Chaos Contest

2 days ago

He only bet 105 and didn't even go into debt, so he'll actually get everything back as long as he submits something.

Chaos Contest

2 days ago

I'm rather offended that I, of all people, have been deemed a slave.

Can we change that to prisoner or something?

Chaos Contest

2 days ago

Nope, we've got a chaos theme going. Slaves, damned, lost, and all that. Mr.M is a wannabe bitch since he STILL hasn't told us how many points he's betting.

Probably should change the "Chaos Seekers" to "The Chosen" or something, but then again one of them won't actually be the chosen one until they win, assuming one of them does.

Chaos Contest

yesterday

Is there anyway I could join the Chaos Seekers?

Chaos Contest

yesterday

I'm pretty sure you have to bet an insane amount of points.

Chaos Contest

yesterday

Can I just earn a bunch of points so that I can bet them all?

Chaos Contest

yesterday

Chaos Seekers have to bet at least 500. Jep has already set the minimum bet by being the first.

So you COULD go boringly rate a bunch of stories in an attempt to raise the amount of points without going into debt, OR you could be a TRUE Chaos Seeker and just bet 500 right now.

Chaos Contest

yesterday
or bet 2000 causing me to bet the last 700 I have in order to stay ahead.

Chaos Contest

yesterday

Don't tempt me...

Chaos Contest

yesterday

So will you be betting 2000?

Chaos Contest

yesterday
ho don't do this. you'll make me start on that story :L

Chaos Contest

21 hours ago

I'll join this contest for 25 points.